2019 Sony A9G Master Series OLED Owner's Thread - Page 46 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1570Likes

post #1351 of 2844 Old 07-16-2019, 10:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Isn't netflix calibrated mode just a renamed custom mode?

Sony 55A9F
LG 55B6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 2844 Old 07-16-2019, 12:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1180 Post(s)
Liked: 1101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarini View Post
netflix calibrated mode has always made the picture darker, on the a9f too, better kept turned off.

It’s set to a default lower brightness and gamma but you could tweak that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #1353 of 2844 Old 07-16-2019, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micolash View Post
Isn't netflix calibrated mode just a renamed custom mode?

Not really. Custom allows detailed adjustments, whereas Netflix is (mostly) locked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1354 of 2844 Old 07-16-2019, 05:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hi everyone,

Just ordered an 55AG9. Should be here within a couple of days. Was thinking about buying an Apple TV 4K as well (mainly for 4K movie rental/buying). Was wondering if any of you AG9 owners is using an ATV 4K and if you could tell me what settings I should use both on the AG9 and the ATV 4K to get the best results.

Thanks in advance.
post #1355 of 2844 Old 07-16-2019, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krapzy View Post
Hi everyone,

Just ordered an 55AG9. Should be here within a couple of days. Was thinking about buying an Apple TV 4K as well (mainly for 4K movie rental/buying). Was wondering if any of you AG9 owners is using an ATV 4K and if you could tell me what settings I should use both on the AG9 and the ATV 4K to get the best results.

Thanks in advance.
Set video output to 4K SDR and enable both frame rate and HDR content matching.

Sony 55A9F
LG 55B6
post #1356 of 2844 Old 07-16-2019, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1180 Post(s)
Liked: 1101
Quote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance.

You have to make sure you go into the tv settings and enabled enhanced hdmi for all inputs that are attached to hdr sources such as the Apple TV . It’s buried very deep inside the menus which is ridiculous on Sony’s part, and I’m betting lot of people are watching hdr with enhanced hdmi disabled and are missing out on full quality.
post #1357 of 2844 Old 07-16-2019, 07:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd13 View Post
You have to make sure you go into the tv settings and enabled enhanced hdmi for all inputs that are attached to hdr sources such as the Apple TV . It’s buried very deep inside the menus which is ridiculous on Sony’s part, and I’m betting lot of people are watching hdr with enhanced hdmi disabled and are missing out on full quality.

The funny thing is that Sony decided to bury it under one additional layer of menus for the A9G compared to previous Android TVs. I guess it was too easy to find previously.
sd13 and Krapzy like this.
post #1358 of 2844 Old 07-16-2019, 08:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quick update after almost two months - still awesome

One note: DishNetwork. This had been very meh, while streaming and BLuRay were incredible.

We had just got the latest 4K DVR, so I figured everything was just what it was. Didn't matter what I did with settings.

Last week suddenly had complete signal loss. Tech comes out and finds the receiver was fine, but the main switch from the Dish was fried out and was probably dying for quite awhile.

Switch replaced and the Dish re-oriented (previous tech hadn't bothered to do either), and suddenly the picture was incredible - not quite as good as streaming Amazon/Netflix/Hulu etc through the Sony itself, but still quite good.

So remember - check and occasionally replace ancillary equipment. Everyone knows about inter-connects, but anything in the path should be upgraded occasionally.

Streaming by CAT5/6 - these degrade over time. Ten year old cables can lose 90% of signal strength.

Streaming by wireless routers - should be replaced every 2-3 years as the internal components are all cheap and burn out...plus new ones are just designed better, if not made better.
post #1359 of 2844 Old 07-16-2019, 09:01 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6792 Post(s)
Liked: 6794
Quote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance.
I use the firestick, 4K sticks are half off with primedays, that is over tonight though.........
post #1360 of 2844 Old 07-17-2019, 05:19 AM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 30
What is the minimum I need to do, to acquire custom for pro 1 and 2?

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Sony KD-77AG9 / AppleTV4k
post #1361 of 2844 Old 07-17-2019, 06:10 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd13 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micolash View Post
Set video output to 4K SDR and enable both frame rate and HDR content matching.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD23 View Post
The funny thing is that Sony decided to bury it under one additional layer of menus for the A9G compared to previous Android TVs. I guess it was too easy to find previously.
Thank you all. That's the kind of information I was looking for and that will most likely save me quite some time and frustration.
sd13 likes this.
post #1362 of 2844 Old 07-17-2019, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey guys.im torn here. Which motion settings should I use ? I don't want any soap opera effect. Now I'm using motion at custom, smoothness at 1, clearness at low and cinemotion at auto. But the motion feels funny to me not movie like.
post #1363 of 2844 Old 07-17-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Tsang View Post
Hey guys.im torn here. Which motion settings should I use ? I don't want any soap opera effect. Now I'm using motion at custom, smoothness at 1, clearness at low and cinemotion at auto. But the motion feels funny to me not movie like.
I like custom, smoothness at minimum, clearness low and cinemotion off

post #1364 of 2844 Old 07-17-2019, 03:01 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 894 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Question: How do i enable 5:5 cadence with movies without using interpolation? On lg there is a true cinema option which does just that, what is the option on sony? If i turn motionflow off and send a 24hz signal to the tv from a blu ray player or htpc graphics card, then will that do just what i'm seeking? I'm looking for smooth movie motion without adding any interpolation or bfi, for that i need to know how do these sony oleds do 5:5 cadence (duplicate the movie frame 5 times without adding any fake frames via interpolation)?
post #1365 of 2844 Old 07-17-2019, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Question: How do i enable 5:5 cadence with movies without using interpolation? On lg there is a true cinema option which does just that, what is the option on sony? If i turn motionflow off and send a 24hz signal to the tv from a blu ray player or htpc graphics card, then will that do just what i'm seeking? I'm looking for smooth movie motion without adding any interpolation or bfi, for that i need to know how do these sony oleds do 5:5 cadence (duplicate the movie frame 5 times without adding any fake frames via interpolation)?

I believe that will be the effect of turning Motionflow on but turning smoothness to minimum. Sony used to have a Motionflow preset called "True Cinema" for X1 Extreme-equipped TVs that did exactly what you describe, but reduced the options considerably for the X1 Ultimate.
post #1366 of 2844 Old 07-17-2019, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Anyone notice the following bug: After changing the Cinemotion setting, the setting has reverted to the previous value upon reentering the motion menu. The only way to change the setting is to first reboot the TV. After a reboot, it will be possible to change the setting for some period, but eventually the behavior will return and can only be remedied by another reboot.
post #1367 of 2844 Old 07-18-2019, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberpsychosis View Post
Hi,
Today i recieved my A9G 65 inch and straight away i noticed something wrong.
My android main tv menu with the youtube app netflix app...all seems a little blurry and not sharp even when turning all the contrast settings to the max.
when i watch normal 1080p hd clips on youtube they all seems not sharp and blurry a little.
When i was browsing the tv menus and under Settings-Display and sound-screen...every option there is grayed out and when i press it it says feature not available.
I have tried almost everything and just do not seem to find a solution.
is it the upscaling chip that is failing or who knows.
if anyone has any idea it would help me a lott
Thanks
This is one of the first things I've noticed as well, since I was using a Nvidia Shield prior I had recent memory on how the interface looked on my prior TV.

I just tested my Nvidia shield VS tv interface using the SAME settings and it's a vast difference between the two. The Nvidia shield is not dim and blurry like the tv implementation within the OS and apps. I am guessing the dimness is to help prevent burn in, but not sure why it's blurry and not crisp.

Anywho, I found by using the reality creation setting within the picture>clarity section helps, it may not be accurate or introduces noise, but MY eyes preferred it set to around 70 for 1080p content and directv now. Native UHD looks crisp without, I am guessing since the TV's native resolution is 4K, it makes since(I am assuming it's like feeding a PC monitor a non native resolution, it typically looks blurry).

Who knows, I am still messing with settings, I am NOT getting my set calibrated as I am one who prefers live color on low, white balance on warm1, etc. BUT not one who prefers VIVID, I have some sense.
post #1368 of 2844 Old 07-18-2019, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Has anyone tried installing a VPN on this TV? I'm wondering if it would be possible to use apps for watching catch-up TV from other countries through a VPN. I'm a noob when it comes to using smart TVs but I'm guessing it would be possible and easier to do it on the Sony with it's Android TV rather than on the LG.
post #1369 of 2844 Old 07-19-2019, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs1a View Post
I have a C9 65” and called ABT Monday to do an exchange for the A9G 65”. He said they came in that day and mine would go out that day. It did. I’m 2 hrs from falling off the west coast in Wa state so I have to wait till next week. Should be here by Wednesday. Then delivery will call to schedule white glove delivery date.
Sorry, just joining the crew. How does it compare to the C9?
post #1370 of 2844 Old 07-19-2019, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfocussvt View Post

From what I remember, he disliked both and believed they were inferior to his B6.
sd13 likes this.
post #1371 of 2844 Old 07-19-2019, 08:48 AM

Color temperature: have people here tried using a different color temp. on the master oleds than the default expert 1, switching to neutral i surprisingly found it looked more natural looking at times, stuff like skin tones. What color temp are you using, a custom temp can be set as well, which of all the options gets closest to 6500k? Right now i find that expert1 doesnt look right in every kind of content, it can give colors and skin tones a more blown up appearance in some content/scenes, neutral in these scenes tends to look a little more natural.
post #1372 of 2844 Old 07-19-2019, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffhk View Post
Has anyone tried installing a VPN on this TV? I'm wondering if it would be possible to use apps for watching catch-up TV from other countries through a VPN. I'm a noob when it comes to using smart TVs but I'm guessing it would be possible and easier to do it on the Sony with it's Android TV rather than on the LG.
Malaysia , i tried to use a vpn, it gets installed and works, however it seems sony has another way to identify your region besides ip and dns. I was trying to access the US google play store to get an app not available to me, but it still opened up the same asian google play store after i had confirmed the vpn was installed and working and the ip had been changed to a US one.
post #1373 of 2844 Old 07-19-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD23 View Post
From what I remember, he disliked both and believed they were inferior to his B6.
l o l

post #1374 of 2844 Old 07-19-2019, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Better. Better color. Better upscaling. Not sure about motion. Can’t remember.

I was kinda way impressed with the upscaling. I watch the 1950s show Superman on tv and it did a good job making things a bit less blurry. Really nice. Colors were just sheesh. Really surprised me how good they are.

UI was fantastic performance. Way better then previous Android tv.

The A9G was overall the best I’ve had in years. Just wish the 77” was around $4k.
Mystaken likes this.
post #1375 of 2844 Old 07-19-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Better. Better color. Better upscaling. Not sure about motion. Can’️t remember.

I was kinda way impressed with the upscaling. I watch the 1950s show Superman on tv and it did a good job making things a bit less blurry. Really nice. Colors were just sheesh. Really surprised me how good they are.

UI was fantastic performance. Way better then previous Android tv.

The A9G was overall the best I’️ve had in years. Just wish the 77” was around $4k.
So I take it you dont own it anymore?

- Barry
post #1376 of 2844 Old 07-19-2019, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
No I don’t. I needed a tv stand /entertainment center more then anything. And the ones I were looking at are expensive. Salamander Designs.

The tv was a keeper. But I realized I really needed an entertainment center. My tv stand now is not good. And I need a bigger one for when I go 75” 77”. Lot been going on and I’m still waiting for some stuff to happen before I can get a Salamander cabinet.

But the A9G is reaaaaly nice.
post #1377 of 2844 Old 07-19-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Quote:
No I don’️t. I needed a tv stand /entertainment center more then anything. And the ones I were looking at are expensive. Salamander Designs.

The tv was a keeper. But I realized I really needed an entertainment center. My tv stand now is not good. And I need a bigger one for when I go 75” 77”. Lot been going on and I’️m still waiting for some stuff to happen before I can get a Salamander cabinet.

But the A9G is reaaaaly nice.
In your opinion, better than the C9?

- Barry
post #1378 of 2844 Old 07-19-2019, 10:13 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Malaysia , i tried to use a vpn, it gets installed and works, however it seems sony has another way to identify your region besides ip and dns. I was trying to access the US google play store to get an app not available to me, but it still opened up the same asian google play store after i had confirmed the vpn was installed and working and the ip had been changed to a US one.
Thanks a lot for the info. I guess as long as the VPN can be installed, I can then use a web browser to access what I need if it's not possible to load an app.
post #1379 of 2844 Old 07-19-2019, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Placing my order today for the 65" A9G with the calibration package from VE. I would have liked to get the 77", but couldn't justify nearly double the price for the extra 12". Maybe when the A14G gets released.
sd13, Ruppgu and gadgtfreek like this.
post #1380 of 2844 Old 07-19-2019, 12:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Color temperature: have people here tried using a different color temp. on the master oleds than the default expert 1, switching to neutral i surprisingly found it looked more natural looking at times, stuff like skin tones. What color temp are you using, a custom temp can be set as well, which of all the options gets closest to 6500k? Right now i find that expert1 doesnt look right in every kind of content, it can give colors and skin tones a more blown up appearance in some content/scenes, neutral in these scenes tends to look a little more natural.
Without knowing the creator's intent, it's problematic using random material to judge accuracy. Custom with Expert 1 should be the closest to D65 out of the box.

What picture mode are you using? You might find Cinema with Expert 1 to be more to your liking; it tends to be a bit desaturated compared to other modes if I remember correctly.

The Neutral setting is anything but, really. It's quite cold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page