2019 Sony A9G Master Series OLED Owner's Thread - Page 47 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1558Likes

post #1381 of 2806 Old 07-19-2019, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 423 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfocussvt View Post
In your opinion, better than the C9?
Yes definitely.
WOLVERNOLE likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1382 of 2806 Old 07-19-2019, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6787 Post(s)
Liked: 6789
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs1a View Post

The A9G was overall the best I’ve had in years. Just wish the 77” was around $4k.
We can always hope.......

Quote:
No I don’t. I needed a tv stand /entertainment center more then anything. And the ones I were looking at are expensive. Salamander Designs.

The tv was a keeper. But I realized I really needed an entertainment center. My tv stand now is not good. And I need a bigger one for when I go 75” 77”. Lot been going on and I’m still waiting for some stuff to happen before I can get a Salamander cabinet.

But the A9G is reaaaaly nice.
Did you check wayfair for stands? They have a HUGE selection.
post #1383 of 2806 Old 07-19-2019, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Question Thanks for the response ! A followup question, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKyle View Post
Watched a good amount of DTV in the few weeks we’ve had the 77A9G and I think overall it looks good (coming from a 65VT30 Plasma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKyle View Post
. Watch a lot of baseball/movie channels/ wife watches a bunch of food network hgtv etc.
Thanks for the response. A followup please ! Sooo, if we are splitting hairs, I still would like to know when you are watching broadcast (say, 1080i material), "gun to head" WHICH looks BETTER, between your Plasma VT30 and the new 77A9G with that material? From my experience with 4K, the plasma handles the 1080i broadcast stuff SUPERIOR to the 4K. I am still looking for more live examples, but to my eyes, the 4K panels are rendering 1080i "softish." And I disagree with those that claim this is "subjective." We are A/V enthusiasts, and softer is pretty obvious to anyone with a slightly critical or discerning eye. Facial features seem to get slightly abused (1080i>>4K).
mugenacura likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1384 of 2806 Old 07-19-2019, 02:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLVERNOLE View Post
[B][I]

Thanks for the response. A followup please ! Sooo, if we are splitting hairs, I still would like to know when you are watching broadcast (say, 1080i material), "gun to head" WHICH looks BETTER, between your Plasma VT30 and the new 77A9G with that material? From my experience with 4K, the plasma handles the 1080i broadcast stuff SUPERIOR to the 4K. I am still looking for more live examples, but to my eyes, the 4K panels are rendering 1080i "softish." And I disagree with those that claim this is "subjective." We are A/V enthusiasts, and softer is pretty obvious to anyone with a slightly critical or discerning eye. Facial features seem to get slightly abused (1080i>>4K).

I don't have a VT30, but I have a 55" Panasonic GT50, and it does look slightly better with mediocre quality 720p/1080i material than does my 65" A9G. If you are waiting for a TV that handles such material as well as your VT30, I would warn you that you will likely never buy a TV again. A Sony with the X1 Ultimate or X1 Extreme chipset will upscale such content to an acceptable level while offering the benefit of 4k/HDR. I also have a 65" X930E that handles 720p/1080i slightly better than an OLED, IMO, but there is not a dramatic difference.
WOLVERNOLE and sd13 like this.
post #1385 of 2806 Old 07-19-2019, 05:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

No. Never heard of them. But I need an entertainment center not just a tv stand. And one with certain features. Anyway.

The A9G is a very nice set.
post #1386 of 2806 Old 07-19-2019, 10:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 891 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdkind View Post
Without knowing the creator's intent, it's problematic using random material to judge accuracy. Custom with Expert 1 should be the closest to D65 out of the box.

What picture mode are you using? You might find Cinema with Expert 1 to be more to your liking; it tends to be a bit desaturated compared to other modes if I remember correctly.

The Neutral setting is anything but, really. It's quite cold.
OOTB do these tv's not target the judd vos offset instead of D65 (either the custom or cinema mode)? dont you have to calibrate to achieve the D65 whitepoint (0.3127,0.3290)? the judd is a little different than D65, perceptually i can make out some difference too. Since i havent had a calibration yet, im setting the color temp based on preference and what my eyes find better. expert1 in custom/cinema works fine but not all the time. some content where i compare and find that neutral is little more natural. When i say natural i dont mean warm, more saturated colors, if you look at facial closeups in some content, neutral just gives a more natural, unprocessed like appearance to the skin tones.

Last edited by Menarini; 07-20-2019 at 12:24 AM.
post #1387 of 2806 Old 07-20-2019, 12:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarini View Post
OOTB do these tv's not target the judd vos offset instead of D65 (either the custom or cinema mode)? dont you have to calibrate to achieve the D65 whitepoint (0.3127,0.3290)? the judd is a little different than D65, perceptually i can make out some difference too. Since i havent had a calibration yet, im setting the color temp based on preference and what my eyes find better. expert1 in custom/cinema works fine but not all the time. some content where i compare and find that neutral is little more natural. When i say natural i dont mean warm, more saturated colors, if you look at facial closeups in some content, neutral just gives a more natural, unprocessed like appearance to the skin tones.
Yeah, sorry, it's been a while since I calibrated mine and forgot about Judd.

The point is that no single setting will look "correct" with all content. You can either pick the setting that's closest to the standard and accept not everything will look great because the source material is flawed, or drive yourself crazy flipping through different settings trying to make the specific content you're watching look its best.
post #1388 of 2806 Old 07-20-2019, 02:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Thank you for the suggestion. Thank you.
I took a look and didn’t find anything I could fit or have interest in on the first few pages so I gave up. There’s also reasons I can only buy from a friend of mine that’s been in the home theater industry for a very long time. Local and financing and he’s my friend and brother in Christ.

Does anyone know if the A9G ABL can be disabled? I’ve heard it can and I’ve heard it can’t.
post #1389 of 2806 Old 07-20-2019, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6063
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdkind View Post
Yeah, sorry, it's been a while since I calibrated mine and forgot about Judd.

The point is that no single setting will look "correct" with all content. You can either pick the setting that's closest to the standard and accept not everything will look great because the source material is flawed, or drive yourself crazy flipping through different settings trying to make the specific content you're watching look its best.
Calibrate to the standards, and it is what it is.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F / 55R615
ATV4K / Uverse / Sony X800M2
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
post #1390 of 2806 Old 07-20-2019, 07:38 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 195
What is the difference between cinema and custom mode?

Sony 55A9F
LG 55B6
post #1391 of 2806 Old 07-20-2019, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1179 Post(s)
Liked: 1099
2019 Sony A9G Master Series OLED Owner's Thread

Quote:
Thank you for the suggestion. Thank you.

I took a look and didn’t find anything I could fit or have interest in on the first few pages so I gave up. There’s also reasons I can only buy from a friend of mine that’s been in the home theater industry for a very long time. Local and financing and he’s my friend and brother in Christ.

Does anyone know if the A9G ABL can be disabled? I’ve heard it can and I’ve heard it can’t.

You already tried an a9g and returned it. Why are you gonna bother again? You’ve been through like 30 TVs back and forth and they all get returned. I’m actually shocked the retailers haven’t flagged you already. The carousel needs to stop at some point. With that being said, you can’t disable abl on any oled.
GregF2 and MJDDawg like this.
post #1392 of 2806 Old 07-20-2019, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 592 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micolash View Post
What is the difference between cinema and custom mode?

I tried to calibrate cinema, but found the gamma measurements to be very erratic - so I avoided it. As do most people, apparently.

As for other differences, I’m not quite sure. At default, it appeared to look a bit flatter and brighter than Custom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1393 of 2806 Old 07-20-2019, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alettiere View Post
I tried to calibrate cinema, but found the gamma measurements to be very erratic - so I avoided it. As do most people, apparently.

As for other differences, I’m not quite sure. At default, it appeared to look a bit flatter and brighter than Custom.

I am using cinema. Im not getting the tv calibrated this year and dont have a meter to measure but perceptually for movie watching, cinema and custom presets with expert1 color temp look quite similar to me. I like how cinema works with movies. Just a few changes to motion and reality creation and altered the brightness + peak luminance settings (for hdr maximum/high, for sdr 20, off). As for being a bit brighter, in daylight outdoor scenes, the whites can look slightly brighter but it appears to be a very minor difference.

Last edited by Menarini; 07-20-2019 at 10:56 AM.
post #1394 of 2806 Old 07-20-2019, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 21
New 77A9G here replacing 75Z9F and so far I'm liking it much better. Looking for some suggestions as to setup.

Here is what I have so far based on what I have read here:

Custom mode--Peak luminance High--Brightness 40 still tuning--Motionflow Custom--Smoothness 1-- Clearness low--Cinemotion auto

What is the preferred setting for Advanced Contrast Enhancer? Looks to be defaulted to off which seems counterintuitive.

Has anybody had success with the ambient light sensor? This sure seems like it would make sense to use for a room with a wide range of lighting scenarios, but it seems most turn it off?

On the audio side I think I like it, but it's taking some getting used to. It seems to do very well for clarity on dialogue. I gained it up a bit on the vocal. I also went in and gained up the source to near max because we were having to use a lot of the volume scale to get the sound loud enough. Not very responsive without being gained up.
post #1395 of 2806 Old 07-20-2019, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
I am using cinema. Im not getting the tv calibrated this year and dont have a meter to measure but perceptually for movie watching, cinema and custom presets with expert1 color temp look quite similar to me. I like how cinema works with movies. Just a few changes to motion and reality creation and altered the brightness + peak luminance settings (for hdr maximum/high, for sdr 20, off). As for being a bit brighter, in daylight outdoor scenes, the whites can look slightly brighter but it appears to be a very minor difference.
whats the reason for using "Peak luminance - off" for sdr?

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Sony KD-77AG9 / AppleTV4k
post #1396 of 2806 Old 07-20-2019, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by box4m View Post
whats the reason for using "Peak luminance - off" for sdr?
I have touched upon this in some previous posts, i said 'off' results in individual colors like blues, reds etc. having deeper saturation and looking punchier (i tested this with some anime 1080p sdr content), this is because the 'peak luminance' setting controls how much you are pushing the white subpixel with the rgb primaries, with PL off you are making minimal use of the white. And 'off' results in a constant light output with no fluctuations and least aggressive ABL in sdr. But do know that i use PL off for SDR only, for HDR it's set to high.
post #1397 of 2806 Old 07-20-2019, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I have touched upon this in some previous posts, i said 'off' results in individual colors like blues, reds etc. having deeper saturation and looking punchier (i tested this with some anime 1080p sdr content), this is because the 'peak luminance' setting controls how much you are pushing the white subpixel with the rgb primaries, with PL off you are making minimal use of the white. And 'off' results in a constant light output with no fluctuations and least aggressive ABL in sdr. But do know that i use PL off for SDR only, for HDR it's set to high.

Interesting. I might calibrate SDR with it off and compare the two sometime down the road.

Mine has always been set to Medium for SDR, but I never really compared the others. Just copied what I saw other people doing

post #1398 of 2806 Old 07-20-2019, 05:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Interesting. I might calibrate SDR with it off and compare the two sometime down the road.

Mine has always been set to Medium for SDR, but I never really compared the others. Just copied what I saw other people doing

Read the last part of this post from Jref (post #415 of this thread)
Quote:
You can use any combination you want but from my experience, setting the PL to High will give you the brightest HDR and DV picture on the Sony. Medium, the default works fine as well in HDR. At the last VE TV shootout I calibrated the Sony OLED and had PL set to high and it won several categories over the LG. On the other hand if you watch in a dark room, want 100- 120 nit luminance with maximum color volume and least aggressive ABL then setting it to Off in SDR works as well.
post #1399 of 2806 Old 07-20-2019, 05:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD23 View Post
I believe that will be the effect of turning Motionflow on but turning smoothness to minimum. Sony used to have a Motionflow preset called "True Cinema" for X1 Extreme-equipped TVs that did exactly what you describe, but reduced the options considerably for the X1 Ultimate.
Motionflow custom, smoothness minimum will make the tv do 5:5 cadence? I was assuming that motionflow set to off would achieve it but im not certain. I would like a calibrator here or someone more familiar with sony oleds to confirm this as this is important to me, i have my 4k blu ray player to output 24hz and on my htpc, before starting a movie, i set the graphics card output to 4k 24hz.

To put the question up again for a calibrator or someone else in the know..... what is the setting to achieve 5:5 cadence with 24hz content on these sony oleds, equivalent to lg oleds 'real cinema' setting?
post #1400 of 2806 Old 07-20-2019, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Read the last part of this post from Jref (post #415 of this thread)

The only issue I see with this is that with Brightness set to MAX and PL turned off, I get a peak brightness of 102 nits. That is way too dim for me, even in a pitch black room. I calibrate to 110 nits for a dark room, which is easily achievable with PL on. This is on 10% windows.

It might work for some people in a light controlled environment, I suppose.

jrref likes this.
post #1401 of 2806 Old 07-20-2019, 07:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The only issue I see with this is that with Brightness set to MAX and PL turned off, I get a peak brightness of 102 nits. That is way too dim for me, even in a pitch black room. I calibrate to 110 nits for a dark room, which is easily achievable with PL on. This is on 10% windows.

It might work for some people in a light controlled environment, I suppose.

Actually the brightness setting and the light sensor have no effect once you set PL to off, lower the brightness from max to 20 with PL off, you wont see a change in light output. And according to rtings , they got higher than 110 nits with PL set off, panel variance on these oleds can lead to some differences. I dont have a meter to measure what im getting but i do have a pitch black room, and im fine with the light output, sdr content is 100-120 nits anyway.
post #1402 of 2806 Old 07-20-2019, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is there a way to change the labels custom pro 1 and 2 to something else?
post #1403 of 2806 Old 07-21-2019, 01:28 AM

Quote:
That makes sense

post #1404 of 2806 Old 07-21-2019, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck23 View Post
Is there a way to change the labels custom pro 1 and 2 to something else?
I asked in this thread before but got no answer, so ill try a reply to this - what is this minimum i need to do to acquire these new picture modes?
I know nothing about calibration so im not gonna mess with that, so whats the minimum?

post #1405 of 2806 Old 07-21-2019, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I asked in this thread before but got no answer, so ill try a reply to this - what is this minimum i need to do to acquire these new picture modes?
I know nothing about calibration so im not gonna mess with that, so whats the minimum?
You have to use calman to unlock those modes on these tv's, if you're not calibrating then you wont see those modes, OOTB you will only see custom.
If you are not in know about calibration much, then just use the custom or cinema preset to watch movies, change the brightness +PL setting (you can change PL to high in HDR from the default medium, for SDR set according to your comfort level), reality creation and motion can also be changed according to liking, don't fiddle with the other defaults. 2 pt. and 10 pt. color controls set by the eye will give you anything but accurate results, for 2 pt./ 10 pt. adjustments or detailed CMS tweaking, you need a meter, if you dont have it then leave the color settings on default.
post #1406 of 2806 Old 07-21-2019, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

The minimum would be the Calman software, which isn’t worth it unless you are calibrating as already stated.

I don’t think the modes can be renamed to my knowledge. They are the same as Custom, except for the 20 point controls, that you can’t really access without the Bravia app connected to Calman. The TVs menu still only shows 10-points. The extra point adjustments are unseen except for in Calman.

Not really purposeful unless you have a meter and want to create two separate modes for Day and Night. I have the same settings for Custom, Custom 1, and Custom 2. They all look identical, so there isn’t really anything else special about those modes.

Soundboy likes this.
post #1407 of 2806 Old 07-21-2019, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Motionflow custom, smoothness minimum will make the tv do 5:5 cadence? I was assuming that motionflow set to off would achieve it but im not certain. I would like a calibrator here or someone more familiar with sony oleds to confirm this as this is important to me, i have my 4k blu ray player to output 24hz and on my htpc, before starting a movie, i set the graphics card output to 4k 24hz.

To put the question up again for a calibrator or someone else in the know..... what is the setting to achieve 5:5 cadence with 24hz content on these sony oleds, equivalent to lg oleds 'real cinema' setting?
For what it's worth, I've done a lot of comparisons between Motionflow On/Smoothness Min and Motionflow Off on my A9F, and I see no difference in motion between the two settings with both 24Hz and 60Hz material (both 1080p and 4K Blu-ray, including the motion test patterns on Spears & Munsil 2nd Edition). I think Sony is being smart with framerates that multiply evenly into 120Hz and not interpolating when Smoothness is set to Min.

Oddly, I do see a difference with streaming apps even though much of that material is supposedly native 24Hz; with Motionflow disabled, film-based streaming is noticeably juddery.
post #1408 of 2806 Old 07-21-2019, 11:53 PM

Quote:
You have to use calman to unlock those modes on these tv's, if you're not calibrating then you wont see those modes, OOTB you will only see custom.
If you are not in know about calibration much, then just use the custom or cinema preset to watch movies, change the brightness +PL setting (you can change PL to high in HDR from the default medium, for SDR set according to your comfort level), reality creation and motion can also be changed according to liking, don't fiddle with the other defaults. 2 pt. and 10 pt. color controls set by the eye will give you anything but accurate results, for 2 pt./ 10 pt. adjustments or detailed CMS tweaking, you need a meter, if you dont have it then leave the color settings on default.
Quote:
The minimum would be the Calman software, which isn’t worth it unless you are calibrating as already stated.

I don’t think the modes can be renamed to my knowledge. They are the same as Custom, except for the 20 point controls, that you can’t really access without the Bravia app connected to Calman. The TVs menu still only shows 10-points. The extra point adjustments are unseen except for in Calman.

Not really purposeful unless you have a meter and want to create two separate modes for Day and Night. I have the same settings for Custom, Custom 1, and Custom 2. They all look identical, so there isn’t really anything else special about those modes.

Its the day and night i would like to have, instead of cinema and custom.
I worked with computers all my life so thats not a problem. Im thinking, maybe its enough to install calman app on TV and connect PC to get them?
Or do i have to have measuringequipment connected etc?

post #1409 of 2806 Old 07-22-2019, 12:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Its the day and night i would like to have, instead of cinema and custom.

I worked with computers all my life so thats not a problem. Im thinking, maybe its enough to install calman app on TV and connect PC to get them?

Or do i have to have measuringequipment connected etc?

Yes. They would be unlocked by connecting the Bravia Calman app with the Sony Calman software. So you’d just have to spring the 150 dollars for the Calman software.

Although if so, why not just get a 250 dollar iDisplay meter and let autocal calibrate it for you?

post #1410 of 2806 Old 07-22-2019, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Yes. They would be unlocked by connecting the Bravia Calman app with the Sony Calman software. So you’d just have to spring the 150 dollars for the Calman software.

Although if so, why not just get a 250 dollar iDisplay meter and let autocal calibrate it for you?

I wasnt aware of that pricing, rather i didnt think about that :P Makes sense to do as you say if so

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page