2019 Sony A9G Master Series OLED Owner's Thread - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 599Likes

post #121 of 954 Old 05-20-2019, 03:37 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 781 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Abt did not go into detail with picture quality comparisons. From the peru 8k video running, i couldn't discern any noticeable advantages, but will have to wait for more in depth comparisons (and measurements).
If you're wall mounting or want a 77", then the a9g is obviously a no brainer.
But im still considering as ill be placing a 65" upon a stand . As for the pricing, yes it can vary, but at my place i can find discounts on the a9f (some dealers who are looking to clear stock) while on the a9g there are no discounts as it's a new model. i can get the a9f from some dealers for slightly less than the pricing of the g, though it's not a big difference. And again, i think the f has an advantage in build quality/looks if you're not wall mounting.
Will wait for more reviews to decide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 954 Old 05-20-2019, 03:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post
I am not suggesting that one trade in an A9F for an A9G. But for someone (like me) buying their first OLED, IMO the A9G is the better choice. And the ABT review says exactly that - no need to trade the F for the G, but one should seriously consider the A9G if one doesn't already have the A9F.
Prices may vary, but in the US, the 65" A9F and A9G list at exactly the same price. And if you hunt around, you can find deals on the A9G. For me, it was a no-brainer.
We just don’t know yet what the exact differences are if any until Vincent releases his comparison review. But until you can get the A9F for much less it’s doesn’t really make much sense to not go with the newer A9G instead.

Sharp Elite PRO- 70X5FD 
Pioneer Elite VSX- 52 (A/V receiver)
Pioneer Elite BDP3FD (Blu-Ray) Player
Surround sound system: B&W (2) CM8's, (1) CENTER CHANNEL, (2) CM1 BOOKSHELF MONITORS's, (1) ASW10CM ACTIVE SUBWOOFER.
post #123 of 954 Old 05-20-2019, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
Any comments on 100% tint or 5% banding?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadTech51 View Post
Please put up a 5% Grey window if you can to comment on it’s screen uniformity.
I haven't done any formal checks yet (will need to do so at night since my room is fairly bright) but thus far I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary while watching regular content.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micolash View Post
How does the motion compare to your zt60?
I'm not noticing any difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLVERNOLE View Post
I would truly appreciate your specific comment of comparison of the ZT60 plasma versus the SONY A9G regarding 1080i viewing.
Unfortunately I don't watch broadcast content, nor do I currently have an antenna available, so I'm unable to comment on that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 954 Old 05-20-2019, 04:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by studiozut View Post
Does BB match their own price if I buy it today and they lower it this weekend (Memorial Day sale)? Thanks
Yes if it lowers within your return window as I recall.
studiozut likes this.
post #125 of 954 Old 05-20-2019, 06:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarini View Post
If by all information you mean the popular review sites like rtings and hdtvtest, i do not see any review in may. Probably would have to wait till early june for a rtings review. And in the uk, it seems the a9g is not available right now, it can be ordered but the delivery is scheduled for first week of june. So because of that hdtvtest/vincent publishing a review wont happen before mid june. When he was asked on youtube couple of days ago about the a9g review, he said two or three weeks after launch, no ETA yet.

Yes, there won't be reviews by any of the trusted sources in May, but this is a TV, not a life threatening illness, so I am in no rush. I expect it will still be possible to find the A9F at some retailers in June.
post #126 of 954 Old 05-20-2019, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I'd like to see Sony make their oled design be like the LG E9 with no pedestal showing from the front of the panel much more aesthetically pleasing.
post #127 of 954 Old 05-20-2019, 09:07 PM

^If you can bear a 5° tilt, then sony's a9f wont show you any pedestal from the front, just the bezel all along the front. The a9g's design is more similar to sony's a8f and plenty of people dont see an issue with the pedestal visible when viewing from front. It's good that sony provides varying design choices, what looks 'more aesthetically pleasing' will vary from person to person, there is no right or wrong answer.
post #128 of 954 Old 05-21-2019, 01:57 AM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I think we will se more reviews real soon. FlatpanelsHD have gotten their reviewsample. I like their reviews better than rtings. Having a AF8 I'm most interested in if any pictureimprovements over AF9. I like hearing that atleast one eagleeyed person in here saw a "sharper" picture as start

The AF9 was sold here for around 2600 euro and the AG9 is right now 4400 with delivery in about a week here in scandinavia. Those AG9 prices are crazy right now. As a example I bought my AF8 cheaper than C8...
post #129 of 954 Old 05-21-2019, 03:09 AM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
We just don’t know yet what the exact differences are if any until Vincent releases his comparison review. But until you can get the A9F for much less it’s doesn’t really make much sense to not go with the newer A9G instead.
There are comparison sites out there that already show that the only differences between the A9F and A9G are audio-based, not video.

As for "until you can get the A9F for much less" ... all I'll say is combine something that comes out of a chicken's butt with something that cameras use to illuminate nighttime shots ...
post #130 of 954 Old 05-21-2019, 03:56 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have never owned a Sony TV before. Are firmware updates done via OTA or USB?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #131 of 954 Old 05-21-2019, 05:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 5828
Quote:
Originally Posted by legends92 View Post
I have never owned a Sony TV before. Are firmware updates done via OTA or USB?

Either.
legends92 likes this.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F
Oppo UDP-203 / Sony X800M2
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP502S / FV15HP
post #132 of 954 Old 05-21-2019, 06:05 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Mine arrives Friday! I plan to wall mount it flush, can any owners tell me if it's easy enough to reach the ports once it's hung?

Sony A9G 65" | Denon avr-x6500h | Oppo UDP-203 | Sonos | 7.1.4 (KEF Q35 fronts, Q9C center, Q10 for surrounds, ci200QR heights, Martin Logan Dynamo 300 sub)
post #133 of 954 Old 05-21-2019, 06:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Nrrrd View Post
There are comparison sites out there that already show that the only differences between the A9F and A9G are audio-based, not video.

I have not seen any full tests yet. Some guy eyeballing the TV for 20 minutes at CES doesn't count.
post #134 of 954 Old 05-21-2019, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguy3763 View Post
I'd like to see Sony make their oled design be like the LG E9 with no pedestal showing from the front of the panel much more aesthetically pleasing.
A1E? A9F? Sony was doing the all black monolith look long before LG, which still has that goofy glass look and overall flimsy build.
lsorensen likes this.

Sony 55A9F
LG 55B6
post #135 of 954 Old 05-21-2019, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by studiozut View Post
Mine arrives Friday! I plan to wall mount it flush, can any owners tell me if it's easy enough to reach the ports once it's hung?
Reasonably so, if you feel around and refer to a diagram or photo to know the rough position of ports.

If you're using the Sony mount, you can swivel the TV out for easy port access.
studiozut likes this.
post #136 of 954 Old 05-21-2019, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
We just don’t know yet what the exact differences are if any until Vincent releases his comparison review. But until you can get the A9F for much less it’s doesn’t really make much sense to not go with the newer A9G instead. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/cool.gif[/IMG]

As for "until you can get the A9F for much less" ... all I'll say is combine something that comes out of a chicken's butt with something that cameras use to illuminate nighttime shots ... [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]
I don’t have any idea what you are talking about in regards to that comment with the chicken, but in regards to the differences between the two models the picture quality which is what’s most important here. And remember we still don’t know what the differences are until a reputable review is released. There are rumors that the A9G has improved the “Pixel Contrast Booster” over it’s previous models which does makes sense, so let’s just wait and see what Vincent says when he releases his comparison review.

Sharp Elite PRO- 70X5FD 
Surround sound system: B&W (2) CM8's, (1) CENTER CHANNEL, (2) CM1 BOOKSHELF MONITORS's, (1) ASW10CM ACTIVE SUBWOOFER.
post #137 of 954 Old 05-21-2019, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I would not just assume the 9G is better than the 9F. The specs say the 9f has the better sound system if that's important to you. Also talking about whether you prefer a visible stand mount with a little tilt or flush on a cabinet with the kickstand mount and a little more tilt of the 9F. Build quality is still is up in the air, but it seems the 9G uses more plastic, especially with the stand and back casing. Panel differences to be decided.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8KCRT View Post
My bad, is it the same price? Hell, then it's a no-brainer to go with the newer model. Without checking I just assumed last year's models always go on discount when the new model is available.
post #138 of 954 Old 05-21-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
If it matters, I went to a sony center store in my country yesterday and the executive was telling me the same. He told the a9g is just like the a9f with a different stand and a different implementation of acoustic audio surface+. Both tv's are master series with x1 ultimate on the picture front so they are same in that respect. I asked him why sony felt the need to release a new master series oled when the previous a9f had not completed one full year on the market (it got released around sept. last year), he said sony wanted to give people who mount their tv's a better option because the a9f with the easel stand never looked good when wall mounted.
Riot Nrrrd likes this.
post #139 of 954 Old 05-21-2019, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If it matters, I went to a sony center store in my country yesterday and the executive was telling me the same. He told the a9g is just like the a9f with a different stand and a different implementation of acoustic audio surface+. Both tv's are master series with x1 ultimate on the picture front so they are same in that respect. I asked him why sony felt the need to release a new master series oled when the previous a9f had not completed one full year on the market (it got released around sept. last year), he said sony wanted to give people who mount their tv's a better option because the a9f with the easel stand never looked good when wall mounted.
No disrespect to your Sony center store but they’re not professional calibrators I doubt they would really know for sure. Wait for Vincent’s comparison review then you will know for sure. Also remember it’s Sony’s goal to improve picture quality and we have some people who have worked with the new A9G already and they have said the new “Pixel Contrast Booster” has been “surprisingly’’ improved over the A9F. This may be false we just don’t know yet? However why not just wait for Vincent’s comparison review? I’d myself be surprised if any visual improvements were made but unless you’re getting the 77” like me why take that gamble when you don’t have to?

Sharp Elite PRO- 70X5FD 
post #140 of 954 Old 05-21-2019, 09:42 AM

Well im not taking a gamble, the a9g is not available to purchase here yet, it will be available in early june, by then a couple of reviews would be out (vincent's review could take longer to be published than the others), i want to look at the measurements. And the more i wait, better chance of finding the a9f even cheaper than i can right now.
post #141 of 954 Old 05-21-2019, 09:59 AM

What about the pro calibrators on this forum, jref said he was supposed to give impressions after calibrating a bunch of a9g's early next week? And where's dnice?
RadTech51 likes this.
post #142 of 954 Old 05-21-2019, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by alettiere View Post
I always preferred “break in.”

The term “burn in” on any self emissive forum is going to give people anxiety

It’s my understanding that “burn in” refers to electronics whereas “break in” refers to mechanical motion devices
ie; loudspeakers.

If you're talkin, you ain't learnin.
post #143 of 954 Old 05-21-2019, 12:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked: 776
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs1a View Post
To everyone.

I’m not referring to ALLM. My E6 don’t have ALLM.

I have everything hooked to my Anthem MRX720. I game a lot. I watch tv a lot. I watch Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime all on my Xbox One X.

When I load an HDR game my E6 goes into HDR. I changed it to HDR Game. This was the first time after getting my tv long ago. When I close the game the tv goes back to Expert Dark since there’s no HDR. Next time I load an HDR game it loads HDR again of course. And it remembers the last time was game mode. It does this every time. When I quit the game it goes back to Expert Dark.

This is what I mean when I say it remembers. This is not ALLM.

If the Sony doesn’t remember like this then that’s really bad to me. I have a huge issue manually changing every single time I play and stop playing a game.

I can’t use VRR or ALLM. My Anthem doesn’t support it and it don’t work anyway on my C9. It didn’t switch out of game mode after I closed a game. My Xbox was connected to tv all settings good.

I won’t use ARC. I lose the Anthem UI. So
ARC is out.

I have no idea how to change picture modes on the A9G once I get it. Hopefully next week.

Naa. I’m not going to cancel my tv order. I need to test it first. I have a real mental disorder. I have a bad Anxiety disorder and major. And I have OCD bad too. So I’m concerned about having to manually change picture modes all the time.
How is your game system connected to the LG? Through the AVR or direct? If through the AVR then I would love to know how LG is changing settings when you use the game system. If direct, then it is perfectly simply since pretty much all TVs (including Sony) have settings per HDMI input. So if you have the game system on its own HDMI port on the TV, then that port can always be set to game mode and switching to that input will automatically be in game mode. It is when devices are connected through an AVR you get a problem because the TV doesn't actually have a way to know which device it is currently receiving from (not counting ALLM if everything in the chain supports that).

As for ARC, you don't loose the UI anymore than with an optical cable. If the video isn't going through the AVR then you don't see the UI of the AVR obviously. That's true whether you it is an external HDMI device directly connected to the AVR or an app on the TV. You want to see the UI? Switch to the AVR input on the TV and you have it. I can't imagine why I would want to see the AVR's UI the rest of the time. It's there if I need to adjust a setting, but other than that, I switch inputs and I change the volume. No UI needed for that.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
post #144 of 954 Old 05-21-2019, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Quote:
No disrespect to your Sony center store but they’re not professional calibrators I doubt they would really know for sure. Wait for Vincent’s comparison review then you will know for sure. Also remember it’s Sony’s goal to improve picture quality and we have some people who have worked with the new A9G already and they have said the new “Pixel Contrast Booster” has been “surprisingly’’ improved over the A9F. This may be false we just don’t know yet? However why not just wait for Vincent’s comparison review? I’d myself be surprised if any visual improvements were made but unless you’re getting the 77” like me why take that gamble when you don’t have to?
Agreed. And as some people have already mentioned, Sony wants to clear out their A9Fs. It's kind of a weird situation, because the A9Fs are now priced exactly the same as the A9Gs. Touting any improvements the A9G offers over the A9F would be counterproductive.

With that said, I don't think that anyone expects any significant improvements. Current A9F owners will most likely not get the itch to upgrade, much like C8 owners don't really feel the need to upgrade to a C9.

I keep reading some people saying 2020 will be the year to upgrade. But I heard the same thing in 2016, where 2018 would be the year to upgrade. Back when people assumed LG was on a tick tock cycle with their panels. But in the end, until there's an actual change in the technology of the panels themselves, I'm expecting the same praises and the same complaints that I've been reading about for the last four years.

Last edited by alettiere; 05-21-2019 at 01:09 PM.
post #145 of 954 Old 05-21-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alettiere View Post
With that said, I don't think that anyone expects any significant improvements. Current A9F owners will most likely not get the itch to upgrade, much like C8 owners don't really feel the need to upgrade to a C9.
But c8 to c9 is more of an upgrade..alpha 9 to alpha 9 gen 2 processor, hdmi 2.0 to hdmi 2.1, internal patterns, custom tone mapping curves. with the a9f to a9g, it's still the same processor, same hdmi version and calibration options haven't changed either.

And sure nobody is expecting significant improvements on the sony, but it's just what i heard a sony exec tell me that the picture side of things remains the same. It's only been around 8 months since the a9f got released, so probably sony didn't feel the picture needed changes, the a9f was already quite good and the g will be just as good.

And to see huge differences in picture quality, we would need to see a change in the core technology at the panel level (such as top emission) and that is upon lg display. Processing can only improve things so much, the a9f/a9g already use the x1 ultimate, arguably the best tv processor around currently.
post #146 of 954 Old 05-21-2019, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
But c8 to c9 is more of an upgrade..alpha 9 to alpha 9 gen 2 processor, hdmi 2.0 to hdmi 2.1, internal patterns, custom tone mapping curves. with the a9f to a9g, it's still the same processor, same hdmi version and calibration options haven't changed either.

And sure nobody is expecting significant improvements on the sony, but it's just what i heard a sony exec told me that the picture side of things remains the same. It's only been around 8 months since the a9f got released, so probably sony didn't feel the picture needed changes, the a9f was already quite good and the g will be just as good.

And to see huge differences in picture quality, we would need to see a change in the core technology at the panel level (such as top emission) and that is upon lg display. Processing can only improve things so much, the a9f/a9g already use the x1 ultimate, arguably the best tv processor around currently.
I’m not disagreeing with anything you’re saying here. I also believe this is the case and that the picture quality will probably be close identical if not completely identical (no change). But with that said we could be surprised or shocked more like it if this turns out differently. However even if Sony did manage to slightly improve the “Pixel Contrast Booster” or something else I think most people will be glad they waited even if the results are minimal.

Sharp Elite PRO- 70X5FD 
post #147 of 954 Old 05-21-2019, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 5828
You guys do realize from year to year improvements are incremental, it is never some WOW. And the constant c9 c8 a9f a9g needs to chill. Every other post by two posters on here discusses everything but being an owner, and multiple models that do not apply to this thread.

There has been enough back and forth about A9F vs A9G and LG. All ya'll keep doing is repeating yourselves and actual A9G posts will get lost in the noise. I'll have to report posts if it continues.

Professional comparisons will be out soon enough...
chunon and jrref like this.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F
Oppo UDP-203 / Sony X800M2
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP502S / FV15HP

Last edited by gadgtfreek; 05-21-2019 at 01:58 PM.
post #148 of 954 Old 05-21-2019, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked: 2034
This is an owner's thread. This thread is for owner's to discuss their experiences and for potential owners to ask questions of owners. It is not for comparing this model to previous models or other makes and models. As always price talk, deals talk and retail links are not permitted. Please stick to technical discussion and experience with this model.
seanos and gadgtfreek like this.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Panasonic DP-UB820 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #149 of 954 Old 05-21-2019, 02:25 PM

I am a prospective buyer who's looking at both the a9g and a9f, the relative performance of the g to the f matters to me, once we have comparison videos from hdtvtest/vincent and other review sites, does that mean those should not be posted in this thread?
post #150 of 954 Old 05-21-2019, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 171 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked: 5186
You know there is not much to discuss. I'll be calibrating one on Friday and will post some scans but in looking at the set again today it looks like an A9F with a regular stand, newer improved speakers and Atmos sound and it looks like the pixel booster might have been improved slightly since the PQ looks sharper and has more depth than the C9 which looked pretty much the same as the A9F. It also has the new menu system just like the 950G.

The panel looks identical to the C9 only with a nice black frame and I know Sony has their own panel filter. That's pretty much it for now. Let's see what Vincent reports.
BillP, seanos, RadTech51 and 1 others like this.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified

Last edited by jrref; 05-21-2019 at 02:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page