2019 Sony A9G Master Series OLED Owner's Thread - Page 77 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2104Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2281 of 4207 Old 10-16-2019, 06:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Adamd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,080
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1187 Post(s)
Liked: 696
Is there a way to tell if a 4 hour comp cycle has ran? On my lg oled it was easy you could hear the tv click after 7-8 min after being turned on. I have not noticed this yet on my A9g.
Adamd is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2282 of 4207 Old 10-16-2019, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Adamd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,080
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1187 Post(s)
Liked: 696
I got my 77a9g yesterday and so far I’m loving it. I’m just curious how the uniformity is on you guys panels. My white screen is totally clean no tinting. My 5% is ok not perfect but I’ve seen worst. Tv only has around 10 hours with two auto cycles and one Manual.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7E7E830F-59C5-46CA-A870-A8427C6C7507_1571238589233.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	2628362  
Adamd is offline  
post #2283 of 4207 Old 10-16-2019, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
enricoclaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 6,047
Mentioned: 294 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4088 Post(s)
Liked: 5119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamd View Post
I got my 77a9g yesterday and so far I’m loving it. I’m just curious how the uniformity is on you guys panels. My white screen is totally clean no tinting. My 5% is ok not perfect but I’ve seen worst. Tv only has around 10 hours with two auto cycles and one Manual.
My 77A9G was very similar to yours before the first 4 hours compensation cycle. After that, it's almost perfect. I haven't done any manual cycle yet as I feel I don't need it.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony 77A9G OLED |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
enricoclaudio is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2284 of 4207 Old 10-16-2019, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 25,260
Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7031 Post(s)
Liked: 7065
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
My 77A9G was very similar to yours before the first 4 hours compensation cycle. After that, it's almost perfect. I haven't done any manual cycle yet as I feel I don't need it.
Seems like the Sony panels are better.......They should be for that matter.
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
post #2285 of 4207 Old 10-16-2019, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Adamd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,080
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1187 Post(s)
Liked: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamd View Post
I got my 77a9g yesterday and so far I’️m loving it. I’️m just curious how the uniformity is on you guys panels. My white screen is totally clean no tinting. My 5% is ok not perfect but I’️ve seen worst. Tv only has around 10 hours with two auto cycles and one Manual.
My 77A9G was very similar to yours before the first 4 hours compensation cycle. After that, it's almost perfect. I haven't done any manual cycle yet as I feel I don't need it.
Mine improved but I do hope it gets better still. The two lighter bands are noticeable on the screen when you have no source. I have my doubts that they will fade.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DE3877AF-FE7E-43ED-AA17-DE4A4F22728B_1571258328053.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	2628450  

Last edited by Adamd; 10-16-2019 at 02:39 PM.
Adamd is offline  
post #2286 of 4207 Old 10-16-2019, 04:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Adamd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,080
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1187 Post(s)
Liked: 696
I got to spend a couple hours with my new 77a9g today and this thing is incredible. I had a 77c8 for 1.5 years and they most likely share the same panel. Even so this tv improves on every aspect of the c8. It’s jaw dropping good. I like the tone mapping better, motion and colour. Shadow detail just looks right to me now.
Latinoheat, cockatiel and MrKyle like this.
Adamd is offline  
post #2287 of 4207 Old 10-16-2019, 05:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mt14942's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Pembroke Pines, Florida
Posts: 2,344
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamd View Post
I got to spend a couple hours with my new 77a9g today and this thing is incredible. I had a 77c8 for 1.5 years and they most likely share the same panel. Even so this tv improves on every aspect of the c8. It’s jaw dropping good. I like the tone mapping better, motion and colour. Shadow detail just looks right to me now.
Nice to hear from a previous LG owner OLED owner with very positive comments on the A9G. I will be getting mine delivered Tuesday and I will be comparing it to my Z9D which is not an OLED but a TV that I have been very impressed with. I will be doing the same thing as you with checking for screen uniformity, banding and DSE. I saw your picture and i did see the two lighter vertical bands. I would guess that this is not something that you will be able to notice with real normal viewing but I can understand your concern.

Sony A9G
Oppo UDP-205 4k player
Classe SSP-800 pre/pro
Parasound Halo 5 channel Amp
mt14942 is offline  
post #2288 of 4207 Old 10-16-2019, 05:40 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 457
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 13
So far loving the a9. Did this tv get the airplay 2 update? If yes how do you use it?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GregF2 likes this.
Raiders4life12 is offline  
post #2289 of 4207 Old 10-16-2019, 05:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Adamd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,080
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1187 Post(s)
Liked: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt14942 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamd View Post
I got to spend a couple hours with my new 77a9g today and this thing is incredible. I had a 77c8 for 1.5 years and they most likely share the same panel. Even so this tv improves on every aspect of the c8. It’️s jaw dropping good. I like the tone mapping better, motion and colour. Shadow detail just looks right to me now.
Nice to hear from a previous LG owner OLED owner with very positive comments on the A9G. I will be getting mine delivered Tuesday and I will be comparing it to my Z9D which is not an OLED but a TV that I have been very impressed with. I will be doing the same thing as you with checking for screen uniformity, banding and DSE. I saw your picture and i did see the two lighter vertical bands. I would guess that this is not something that you will be able to notice with real normal viewing but I can understand your concern.
I’ve seen it a couple of times but I’m looking for it. As a whole the panel looks great, zero tinting or DSC. None of the corners are brighter. If those two bands don’t show in most content I will probably just keep this panel. I’ve gone through lots of oled panels and there is no such thing as a perfect panel.
Adamd is offline  
post #2290 of 4207 Old 10-16-2019, 07:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mt14942's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Pembroke Pines, Florida
Posts: 2,344
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamd View Post
I’ve seen it a couple of times but I’m looking for it. As a whole the panel looks great, zero tinting or DSC. None of the corners are brighter. If those two bands don’t show in most content I will probably just keep this panel. I’ve gone through lots of oled panels and there is no such thing as a perfect panel.
This is my first oled so I am not sure if it would be fair to compare what I see when I run some of the same YouTube videos that I used to check my Z9D since it is not an oled. However if it is similar to what your picture is showing and has zero tinting or DSE I would also be inclined to keep it, as the next panel you get could be worse. I would be interested to hear from other owners of this TV as to what they
think about the picture you posted with the two very light vertical bands that it shows and what they feel is acceptable.

Sony A9G
Oppo UDP-205 4k player
Classe SSP-800 pre/pro
Parasound Halo 5 channel Amp

Last edited by mt14942; 10-17-2019 at 04:39 AM.
mt14942 is offline  
post #2291 of 4207 Old 10-16-2019, 07:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Adamd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,080
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1187 Post(s)
Liked: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt14942 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamd View Post
I’️ve seen it a couple of times but I’️m looking for it. As a whole the panel looks great, zero tinting or DSC. None of the corners are brighter. If those two bands don’️t show in most content I will probably just keep this panel. I’️ve gone through lots of oled panels and there is no such thing as a perfect panel.
This is my first oled so I am not sure if it would be fair to compare what I see when I run some of the same YouTube videos that I used to check my Z9D since it is not an oled. However if it is similar to what your picture is showing and have zero tinting or DSE I would also be inclined to keep it, as the next panel you could be worse. I would be interested to hear from other owners of this TV as to what they
think about the picture you posted with the two very light vertical bands that it shows and what they feel is acceptable.
I just watched matrix 4K remaster and wow. The picture was perfection. The way the A9g handles low light scenes puts my c8 to shame. I did not notice any distracting banding. It was some of the best picture quality I have ever seen.
Adamd is offline  
post #2292 of 4207 Old 10-16-2019, 09:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JD23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dallas
Posts: 2,095
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamd View Post
I had a 77c8 for 1.5 years and they most likely share the same panel.

The A9G has the 2019 panel with different subpixel sizes.
JD23 is online now  
post #2293 of 4207 Old 10-16-2019, 09:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Adamd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,080
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1187 Post(s)
Liked: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD23 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamd View Post
I had a 77c8 for 1.5 years and they most likely share the same panel.

The A9G has the 2019 panel with different subpixel sizes.
Oh really I thought the 77 inch had not had a upgrade in 2-3 years.
Adamd is offline  
post #2294 of 4207 Old 10-16-2019, 09:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pbz06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,924
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1307 Post(s)
Liked: 1046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamd View Post
I got to spend a couple hours with my new 77a9g today and this thing is incredible. I had a 77c8 for 1.5 years and they most likely share the same panel. Even so this tv improves on every aspect of the c8. It’s jaw dropping good. I like the tone mapping better, motion and colour. Shadow detail just looks right to me now.
Yup, it's more refined in every way. The price reflects it too
pbz06 is online now  
post #2295 of 4207 Old 10-17-2019, 12:22 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 457
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamd View Post
I just watched matrix 4K remaster and wow. The picture was perfection. The way the A9g handles low light scenes puts my c8 to shame. I did not notice any distracting banding. It was some of the best picture quality I have ever seen.


What settings were you using?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Raiders4life12 is offline  
post #2296 of 4207 Old 10-17-2019, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
Vidop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 829
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Just purchased

I just finished purchasing two new TV's today (to be delivered a week from now). One is a 65" A9G and the other is a Sony 49" x900f. The A9G is replacing a 12 year old 46" Sony XBR2 (which uses florescent backlighting). And, the x900f is replacing a 10 year old Sony 32" KDL EX710. I would have gotten a larger A9G, but a 65" screen is as large as will fit the existing space. I have been studying OLED screens for several months to see the pro's/con's. I was a little concerned about "burn in". But, from what I have read, the chances of that are now somewhat minimal. Just don't leave the screen on "CNN" (or other news) for "20 hours/day". I'm really looking forward to hooking up these new sets.

For those of you that don't remember the early generations of the XBR series, here is a link for the XBR2 I'm replacing.

https://www.cnet.com/reviews/sony-br...32xbr2-review/
pbz06 likes this.
Vidop is offline  
post #2297 of 4207 Old 10-17-2019, 02:58 PM
Member
 
Burrens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidop View Post
I just finished purchasing two new TV's today (to be delivered a week from now). One is a 65" A9G and the other is a Sony 49" x900f. The A9G is replacing a 12 year old 46" Sony XBR2 (which uses florescent backlighting). And, the x900f is replacing a 10 year old Sony 32" KDL EX710. I would have gotten a larger A9G, but a 65" screen is as large as will fit the existing space. I have been studying OLED screens for several months to see the pro's/con's. I was a little concerned about "burn in". But, from what I have read, the chances of that are now somewhat minimal. Just don't leave the screen on "CNN" (or other news) for "20 hours/day". I'm really looking forward to hooking up these new sets.

For those of you that don't remember the early generations of the XBR series, here is a link for the XBR2 I'm replacing.

https://www.cnet.com/reviews/sony-br...32xbr2-review/
I have the 46” version of that same XBR2 in my bedroom! Beautiful picture once calibrated.

I also just pulled the trigger on a 65” A9G that will replace a 65” 850C in my living room. Considering swapping out the XBR2 with the 850C, but that may be too big for my bedroom.

Last edited by Burrens; 10-17-2019 at 03:05 PM.
Burrens is online now  
post #2298 of 4207 Old 10-17-2019, 03:34 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Michigan
Posts: 457
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi looking for some help here. My tv says that it cannot search for a software update and to check network connection but my network connection is working properly. Also what is the latest firmware version ?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Raiders4life12 is offline  
post #2299 of 4207 Old 10-17-2019, 08:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Adamd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,080
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1187 Post(s)
Liked: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders4life12 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamd View Post
I just watched matrix 4K remaster and wow. The picture was perfection. The way the A9g handles low light scenes puts my c8 to shame. I did not notice any distracting banding. It was some of the best picture quality I have ever seen.


What settings were you using?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was using the custom hdr mode. I did not change much I put gamma to -1. Turned off most of the extra image settings. That’s what I loved I did not have to sit messing with it for hours to get the picture to look right. I had my c8 for over a year and was always messing with settings to try and make it look just the way I want.
Adamd is offline  
post #2300 of 4207 Old 10-18-2019, 11:33 AM
Member
 
otlbum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: San Diego
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Decided to go with the 55" and it was delivered yesterday. Quite a learning curve with the menu system. Was used to the KURO's which was a lot quicker to get in and get out when adjusting picture parameters.

The user manual is typical Sony. The KURO's manual was big and very classy. The Sony looks like someone spent an hour laying it out.

I've configured the Sony via it's audio menu to set up ARC to pass sound to my McIntosh pre. The McIntosh does not have eARC capabilities, just ARC. I connected my OPPO BDP-103 to input 1 on the A9G to see if it would pass DTS MA to the processor, but it only showed DD. Same disc connected directly to the Mc would show DTS MA. Is this the limitation of ARC vs eARC?


Curious to know if there's a way to identify a source's resolution onscreen.

Last edited by otlbum; 10-18-2019 at 11:39 AM.
otlbum is offline  
post #2301 of 4207 Old 10-18-2019, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
BillP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: PA
Posts: 14,841
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by otlbum View Post
Curious to know if there's a way to identify a source's resolution onscreen.
Just hit "Display" on the remote.

Sony A9G, Oppo 205, Parasound JC2, Parasound A21, Sonus Faber Olympica IIIs
BillP is offline  
post #2302 of 4207 Old 10-18-2019, 01:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lsorensen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,764
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1502 Post(s)
Liked: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by otlbum View Post
Decided to go with the 55" and it was delivered yesterday. Quite a learning curve with the menu system. Was used to the KURO's which was a lot quicker to get in and get out when adjusting picture parameters.

The user manual is typical Sony. The KURO's manual was big and very classy. The Sony looks like someone spent an hour laying it out.

I've configured the Sony via it's audio menu to set up ARC to pass sound to my McIntosh pre. The McIntosh does not have eARC capabilities, just ARC. I connected my OPPO BDP-103 to input 1 on the A9G to see if it would pass DTS MA to the processor, but it only showed DD. Same disc connected directly to the Mc would show DTS MA. Is this the limitation of ARC vs eARC?

Curious to know if there's a way to identify a source's resolution onscreen.
Without eARC, you can pass at most DD+ or DTS. No TrueHD or DTS MA or anything else fancy. Well stereo PCM works too, but not multichannel PCM.

I thought hitting the display button tended to show input resolution info on most Sony models.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
lsorensen is offline  
post #2303 of 4207 Old 10-18-2019, 01:21 PM
Member
 
otlbum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: San Diego
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post
Just hit "Display" on the remote.
That works for external inputs, however, when selecting an app like youtube and hitting the display button, there's no information on the bottom like the external inputs.
otlbum is offline  
post #2304 of 4207 Old 10-18-2019, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lsorensen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,764
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1502 Post(s)
Liked: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by otlbum View Post
That works for external inputs, however, when selecting an app like youtube and hitting the display button, there's no information on the bottom like the external inputs.
For youtube you have to enable 'stats for geeks' if you want to know what it is doing. To the TV itself youtube is always running 4K resolution after all. Netflix app seems to show info when you hit the display button. So up to the app what it does with the display button.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
lsorensen is offline  
post #2305 of 4207 Old 10-18-2019, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
BillP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: PA
Posts: 14,841
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 549
The internal Netflix app definitely shows the resolution of the material being streamed (in the upper left corner).

Sony A9G, Oppo 205, Parasound JC2, Parasound A21, Sonus Faber Olympica IIIs
BillP is offline  
post #2306 of 4207 Old 10-18-2019, 11:34 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi all,

Just purchased the 77” A9G with Samsung HW-Q80R sound bar, Panasonic DP-UB820, and Apple TV 4K. I have some immensely basic questions so sorry in advance.

1) For setup, I’m thinking A9G eARC to sound bar and UB820 / ATV / PS4 to sound bar. Is this recommended?

2) I know I need to test the panel after some usage. What’s necessary for this process? Any links would be greatly appreciated.

3) I plan to calibrate some time from now but what’s recommended for A9G picture and motion settings right now? I have roller shades so the room is dark similar to theater.

4) What are some recommended settings for the UB820 / ATV / PS4 to function optimally with the A9G? For ATV, I’ve read 4K SDR with Match Dynamic Range and Frame Rate on.

I know these are broad questions but I’m here to learn and just need some guidance. Again, any links would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Halliburton is offline  
post #2307 of 4207 Old 10-19-2019, 05:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pbz06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,924
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1307 Post(s)
Liked: 1046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halliburton View Post
Hi all,

Just purchased the 77” A9G with Samsung HW-Q80R sound bar, Panasonic DP-UB820, and Apple TV 4K. I have some immensely basic questions so sorry in advance.

1) For setup, I’m thinking A9G eARC to sound bar and UB820 / ATV / PS4 to sound bar. Is this recommended?

2) I know I need to test the panel after some usage. What’s necessary for this process? Any links would be greatly appreciated.

3) I plan to calibrate some time from now but what’s recommended for A9G picture and motion settings right now? I have roller shades so the room is dark similar to theater.

4) What are some recommended settings for the UB820 / ATV / PS4 to function optimally with the A9G? For ATV, I’ve read 4K SDR with Match Dynamic Range and Frame Rate on.

I know these are broad questions but I’m here to learn and just need some guidance. Again, any links would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
(1) Correct. Just make sure your A9G and soundbar connect into each of their respective HDMI ARC inputs.

(2) I wouldn't stress about testing it with specific patterns. Usually a 5% grey will show any trouble spots for banding, and solid white color for vignette. But regular content viewing should be the main test.

(3) Start with the default Custom settings. If you use auto picture, then it switches to Cinema when it detects Blu-ray player...so copy the custom settings into the Cinema.

(4) I don't have ATV4K, but for PS4, justbset your TV size and the other settings can be left to Auto. I can send you my picture settings for A9G for game mode. For ub820, same thing, it's auto settings work good...just go thru them so you get familiar but keep on default auto for most.

Welcome and enjoy
pbz06 is online now  
post #2308 of 4207 Old 10-19-2019, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Adamd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,080
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1187 Post(s)
Liked: 696
What setting is the best for peak luminance? I have it at medium now and brightness at 35. Is there any benefit to going to high then dropping brightness? I thought I read it controls how much the tv uses the white sub pixel. So maybe leaving it to medium will give better colour?
Adamd is offline  
post #2309 of 4207 Old 10-19-2019, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
pbz06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,924
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1307 Post(s)
Liked: 1046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamd View Post
What setting is the best for peak luminance? I have it at medium now and brightness at 35. Is there any benefit to going to high then dropping brightness? I thought I read it controls how much the tv uses the white sub pixel. So maybe leaving it to medium will give better colour?
Medium for SDR, High for HDR.

For Brightness, it's whatever you want depending on your environment. In the dark, I use 12 (I don't have means to measure, but the default Netflix Calibrated mode uses 12 so that's why).
pbz06 is online now  
post #2310 of 4207 Old 10-19-2019, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Adamd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,080
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1187 Post(s)
Liked: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbz06 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamd View Post
What setting is the best for peak luminance? I have it at medium now and brightness at 35. Is there any benefit to going to high then dropping brightness? I thought I read it controls how much the tv uses the white sub pixel. So maybe leaving it to medium will give better colour?
Medium for SDR, High for HDR.

For Brightness, it's whatever you want depending on your environment. In the dark, I use 12 (I don't have means to measure, but the default Netflix Calibrated mode uses 12 so that's why).
Perfect thanks.
Adamd is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off