2019 Sony A9G Master Series OLED Owner's Thread - Page 79 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1670Likes

post #2341 of 3120 Old 10-21-2019, 02:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbz06 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halliburton View Post
Hi all,

Just purchased the 77” A9G with Samsung HW-Q80R sound bar, Panasonic DP-UB820, and Apple TV 4K. I have some immensely basic questions so sorry in advance.

1) For setup, I’️m thinking A9G eARC to sound bar and UB820 / ATV / PS4 to sound bar. Is this recommended?

2) I know I need to test the panel after some usage. What’️s necessary for this process? Any links would be greatly appreciated.

3) I plan to calibrate some time from now but what’️s recommended for A9G picture and motion settings right now? I have roller shades so the room is dark similar to theater.

4) What are some recommended settings for the UB820 / ATV / PS4 to function optimally with the A9G? For ATV, I’️ve read 4K SDR with Match Dynamic Range and Frame Rate on.

I know these are broad questions but I’️m here to learn and just need some guidance. Again, any links would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
(1) Correct. Just make sure your A9G and soundbar connect into each of their respective HDMI ARC inputs.

(2) I wouldn't stress about testing it with specific patterns. Usually a 5% grey will show any trouble spots for banding, and solid white color for vignette. But regular content viewing should be the main test.

(3) Start with the default Custom settings. If you use auto picture, then it switches to Cinema when it detects Blu-ray player...so copy the custom settings into the Cinema.

(4) I don't have ATV4K, but for PS4, justbset your TV size and the other settings can be left to Auto. I can send you my picture settings for A9G for game mode. For ub820, same thing, it's auto settings work good...just go thru them so you get familiar but keep on default auto for most.

Welcome and enjoy
Thanks, pbz06! Some follow up questions:

1) Just want to double check that connecting external devices like the UB820 and Apple TV to sound bar rather than A9G won’t negatively affect picture quality?

4) I have the standard PS4 (not PS4 Pro) so do I enable Enhanced Format for HDMI Signal Format on A9G or leave on Standard Format?

For UB820, I know to change HDR TV Type to OLED. Should I turn HDR Optimizer on? Any other recommendations?

The Q80R sound bar is Atmos so I’m curious what settings should I set on A9G / UB820 / ATV for Atmos to work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2342 of 3120 Old 10-21-2019, 02:58 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by FanBoyS View Post
Quote:
Hi all,

Just purchased the 77â€Â A9G with Samsung HW-Q80R sound bar, Panasonic DP-UB820, and Apple TV 4K. I have some immensely basic questions so sorry in advance.

1) For setup, I’️m thinking A9G eARC to sound bar and UB820 / ATV / PS4 to sound bar. Is this recommended?

2) I know I need to test the panel after some usage. What’️s necessary for this process? Any links would be greatly appreciated.

3) I plan to calibrate some time from now but what’️s recommended for A9G picture and motion settings right now? I have roller shades so the room is dark similar to theater.

4) What are some recommended settings for the UB820 / ATV / PS4 to function optimally with the A9G? For ATV, I’️ve read 4K SDR with Match Dynamic Range and Frame Rate on.

I know these are broad questions but I’️m here to learn and just need some guidance. Again, any links would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Well, we have a very similar setup, so here goes:

For the record what i’m using is:
TV: Sony 55 A9G
Video: Panasonic ub820 and the ATV 4K
Soundbar: Sony htz9f (eARC)

I have the Panny and Apple TV connected directly to the A9G, and have the soundbar connect to the eArc input (which has worked flawlessly so far). Everything works smoothly, no complaints.

With the Panasonic, I’d suggest changing the resolution to 1080p when playing back a BD(1080p source) for the best possible picture. The A9G upscales 1080p to 4K a bit better than the Panny 820. While the upscaling on the Panasonic is fine, it’s a noticeably softer picture than what you get when you let the A9G handle it.

As for the Apple TV 4K: you’ll want to go with 4K SDR 60p, and Match Dynamic Range and Match Frame Rate both turned on. And make sure to switch on/enable Atmos in the Audio settings if you’re using an Atmos soundbar .

I’ve had my A9G for a couple of months now and will get it calibrated by the holidays, so in the meantime for picture settings i’m using the Custom preset with both SDR and HDR and have it set at the default values except for Brightness, which i set at 15-30 for SDR. 15 for a dark room, and in a dim room i’ll go as high as 30. But that’s really all up to you and your viewing environment. Also, turn off Reality Creation and Smooth Gradation for anything but maybe cable or DVD’s. With things like the ub820 and ATV4K they do more harm than good.
Thanks for your help, FanBoyS!

Are there any benefits to connecting the UB820 and ATV to A9G rather than sound bar?

For UB820, do you have HDR Optimizer on? The Q80R sound bar is Atmos so do you recommend any settings on A9G and UB820 for Atmos to work properly?

Any other recommendations for someone who is new to this?
post #2343 of 3120 Old 10-21-2019, 06:44 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 611 Post(s)
Liked: 514
Quote:
Good advice there. The only part i disagree with is the notion that BD’s would look better on a Kuro. HD cable? Most definitely. But i’ve found that BD’s look fantastic on the A9G. I used a Samsung plasma myself, and it really is no contest with standard Blu Ray discs. Even HD steaming looks better on the A9G. But sometimes it’s what we’re used to seeing, our eyes are funny that way.
I agree. I have found that everything looks great on my A9G (1080i/720p TV broadcasts, 1080p BluRay discs, 1080 Netflix streaming, even 480i DVDs), and prefer the OLED to my old 1080p Panny plasma (yes, I realize it's not a Kuro).

Sony A9G, Oppo 205, Parasound JC2, Parasound A21, Sonus Faber Olympica IIIs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2344 of 3120 Old 10-21-2019, 08:37 AM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6835 Post(s)
Liked: 6831
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt14942 View Post

Gosh, if I were you, after owning a 75” size, it would be difficult; at least for me to go down in size to a 65”. We do have a 65” A9F at a vacation home and enjoy it very much watching movies, but when we get back to our main home we appreciated the extra 10”.
Holy cow, I would not even have to turn the set on to realize I made a big mistake.

Quote:
Thanks Bob for your positive input. I have always wanted to get an OLED but I wound up getting the Z9D because the price at the time was hard to pass up compared to what the 77" OLED was selling for. Now the prices have come down considerably even on Sony's latest A9G. My main concern is the family room where this TV is going is not a dark room, but not overly bright either. .
Well in the larger size you have one choice now, QN75Q90R. That is the best LED in 75" at this point which many feel is not as good as OLED.....Sure LED will be better in a bright room.......not that much better, not night and day better.....
Quote:
My wife who is an interior designer is not thrilled about putting the 75" Z9D in our bedroom. As I explained to her it actually it not any bigger than the Pioneer plasma that's there now as that model had the speakers on the side, although the 65" would be more appropriate for that space.
That makes sense to me brother....lol. Its amazing you are getting teamed up on when your logic is sound.......
post #2345 of 3120 Old 10-21-2019, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Holy cow, I would not even have to turn the set on to realize I made a big mistake.

Well in the larger size you have one choice now, QN75Q90R. That is the best LED in 75" at this point which many feel is not as good as OLED.....Sure LED will be better in a bright room.......not that much better, not night and day better.....
That makes sense to me brother....lol. Its amazing you are getting teamed up on when your logic is sound.......
Thanks for your support. I thought it made sense also but I think that once it's in the bedroom she might be ok with it. Otherwise I'll be selling the Z9D and getting a 65".

Sony A9G
Oppo UDP-205 4k player
Classe SSP-800 pre/pro
Parasound Halo 5 channel Amp
post #2346 of 3120 Old 10-21-2019, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1167 Post(s)
Liked: 945
Quote:
Thanks, pbz06! Some follow up questions:

1) Just want to double check that connecting external devices like the UB820 and Apple TV to sound bar rather than A9G won’t negatively affect picture quality?

4) I have the standard PS4 (not PS4 Pro) so do I enable Enhanced Format for HDMI Signal Format on A9G or leave on Standard Format?

For UB820, I know to change HDR TV Type to OLED. Should I turn HDR Optimizer on? Any other recommendations?

The Q80R sound bar is Atmos so I’m curious what settings should I set on A9G / UB820 / ATV for Atmos to work?
(1) It shouldn't, as long as it's a pass through and there are no "video" settings to play with on your soundbar (I'm guessing there's not anyway).

(2) I usually just enable the Enhanced Format for every input, even though I don't need it...just because in case I forget later on when I do need to take advantage of it.

On your 820, you can try keeping HDR Optimizer on. It only takes effect for content recorded higher than 1,000 nits. When Off, and say there's content at 4,000 nits, the A9G will likely clip some of it but retain a little more brightness. The HDR Optimizer might resolve that detail and show more, but it might appear to be a hair dimmer. So it's mostly a matter of detail vs brightness.

On your TV sound settings, if you enable the "dolby audio", it should detect that your soundbar is Atmos capable...

Sony XBR-77A9G / Panasonic DP-UB9000 / Marantz SR7011 / Def Tech 9060 Series
post #2347 of 3120 Old 10-21-2019, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbig View Post
I am not so sure about that. I had problems with Bravia sync on(set randomly turning off). Problem was solved by turning Bravia sync off. eARC still works between A9G and Mac MX122. Unless I am missing something about eARC.
My understanding is that the MX122 does not have eARC, but that the MX123 does. Are you sure you have the 122 and not the 123?

Assassin HTPC + Echo, Sony 49XBR850, McIntosh MX151, MC202, MC7104, MS300, B+W 803D2, CWM's, Janus 1W Sub
post #2348 of 3120 Old 10-21-2019, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbroimp View Post
My understanding is that the MX122 does not have eARC, but that the MX123 does. Are you sure you have the 122 and not the 123?
I definitely have the 122 I don’t think the 123 is shipping yet. As I said, maybe I don’t understand eARC. ARC is working between TV and 122.

I have not decided if I want to upgrade to the 123. Not sure it has any features I really want.

Sony XBR77A9G, Panasonic UB9000, McIntosh MX122, McIntosh 8207, Revel C30, Revel M22, SVS SB16 Ultra, Furman Elite 15PFi, ATV, Wireworld power and speaker cables.
post #2349 of 3120 Old 10-21-2019, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 4
[/QUOTE]Thanks for your help, FanBoyS!

Are there any benefits to connecting the UB820 and ATV to A9G rather than sound bar?

For UB820, do you have HDR Optimizer on? The Q80R sound bar is Atmos so do you recommend any settings on A9G and UB820 for Atmos to work properly?

Any other recommendations for someone who is new to this?[/QUOTE]

I’m not sure if there are benefits to connecting the ub820 and ATV4K directly to the A9G, besides enabling Bravia Sync. But just figured that a direct connection to the TV made the most sense, especially when using a soundbar and having 4 enhanced HDMI ports to use on the A9G. So far eARC has worked flawlessly that way, and i even have Bravia Sync enabled for all my devices and working flawlessly as well.

On the ub820 I experimented with HDR optimizer for a bit and i’d recommend leaving it off. It has no effect on 1000 nit discs, but on discs it does effect i find that it flattens the HDR highlights and makes them look like SDR. It may restore a small amount of lost highlight detail, but it robs the image in the process. You lose much more than you gain. When i played back something like Pacific Rim the effect was obvious and off putting. The A9G doesn’t need it.
post #2350 of 3120 Old 10-21-2019, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
Good advice there. The only part i disagree with is the notion that BD’s would look better on a Kuro. HD cable? Most definitely. But i’ve found that BD’s look fantastic on the A9G. I used a Samsung plasma myself, and it really is no contest with standard Blu Ray discs. Even HD steaming looks better on the A9G. But sometimes it’s what we’re used to seeing, our eyes are funny that way.

For the most part, yeah, BDs do look better on my A9G than any plasma I owned. The only exception are those movies that are mastered above black. A lot of junk that the plasmas previously masked, gets brought out by the OLED.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #2351 of 3120 Old 10-21-2019, 04:17 PM

Liked: 3
Got a 65A9G on Thursday last week and I am so happy I did after spending weeks researching which OLED to go with. I could not be happier with it. So far I have watched the following 4K content and have been blown away:
- Dunkirk
- Interstellar
- Fantastic Beasts
- Darkest Hour

Expecting delivery of a soundbar today to take it the next level (went with the Ambeo). Hoping I don't have any issues with eARC and Atmos as I've seen some people here with issues. Fingers crossed.

Wanted to ask the group if anyone had any recommendation for a calibrator in the NYC area? Does jrref do house calls or is his expert calibration only available through VE?

Also does the TV keep a clock of how many hours you have on it? My understanding is you should have a certain amount of hours on it before calibration.

Thanks!
MrKyle and Sioomagates like this.
post #2352 of 3120 Old 10-21-2019, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6065
If jrref does house calls, use him.
Keenan, jrref and djpalacios91 like this.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F / 55R615
ATV4K / Uverse / Sony X800M2
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
post #2353 of 3120 Old 10-22-2019, 12:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone been using their TV as a PC monitor, at least part time? I am worried that it's the worst case scenario for the burn in issues due to it displaying the taskbar and window menus in the same spots all the time. Maybe there is some software that helps with this?
post #2354 of 3120 Old 10-22-2019, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 556
Starting to like my a9g more lately. Disabling DV was the first step but I still thought my HDR 10 movies looked a bit washed out in scenes with fog, daylight streaming through window/trees, etc. Scenes that should look a little hazy but in my opinion these scenes just looked bad compared to my other oled.

I ended up changing my gamma from 0 to -2 and now it looks as good as my B7A (with the improvements the sony brings like better motion). My set was calibrated so I don't know how much this might be throwing my calibration off but things look so much better in my light controlled dark room. The washed out look is gone.
Bob Fosse likes this.

TV: Sony A9G 77" Oled & LG B7A 65" Oled
AVR: Denon AVRX4300H
F/L: Emotiva Airmotiv T2, Center: Emotiva Airmotiv C2, Surround: Emotiva Airmotiv B1 x4, Atmos: Elac A4 x4, Subwoofer: PSA V1811, Actuator: Crowson x2
4k Player: Panasonic UB 820
post #2355 of 3120 Old 10-22-2019, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 198 Post(s)
Quoted: 4587 Post(s)
Liked: 5576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruppgu View Post
Starting to like my a9g more lately. Disabling DV was the first step but I still thought my HDR 10 movies looked a bit washed out in scenes with fog, daylight streaming through window/trees, etc. Scenes that should look a little hazy but in my opinion these scenes just looked bad compared to my other oled.

I ended up changing my gamma from 0 to -2 and now it looks as good as my B7A (with the improvements the sony brings like better motion). My set was calibrated so I don't know how much this might be throwing my calibration off but things look so much better in my light controlled dark room. The washed out look is gone.
Did you try turning on the Advanced Contrast Enhancer to Low for DV? This should make it look correct. Anything else you are doing is fine but giving you an artificial picture. DV is a Dark PM and that's just the way it is.
Bob Fosse likes this.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified
post #2356 of 3120 Old 10-22-2019, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Todays the big day, I get my A9G so naturally I went to the YouTube app and wound up watching on YouTube Vincent's London Blind Shootout of 4 TV's and the A9G didn't fair to well, actually the LG C9 won. At least the sony came in 3rd beating out the Samsung.
Bob Fosse likes this.

Sony A9G
Oppo UDP-205 4k player
Classe SSP-800 pre/pro
post #2357 of 3120 Old 10-22-2019, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 278 Post(s)
Quoted: 3910 Post(s)
Liked: 4808
Quote:
Todays the big day, I get my A9G so naturally I went to the YouTube app and wound up watching on YouTube Vincent's London Blind Shootout of 4 TV's and the A9G didn't fair to well, actually the LG C9 won. At least the sony came in 3rd beating out the Samsung.
....and in the US shootout (Value Electronics 2019 TV Shootout), which was evaluated and voted by industry professionals and calibrators, the A9G won and the C9 came up at second place.

https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...-2019-shootout
BillP likes this.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | Sony 77A9G OLED |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
post #2358 of 3120 Old 10-22-2019, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
Did you try turning on the Advanced Contrast Enhancer to Low for DV? This should make it look correct. Anything else you are doing is fine but giving you an artificial picture. DV is a Dark PM and that's just the way it is.
Yeah I have ACE on low currently. I don't think DV is dim really, my compliant is the opposite. At 50 black level, the black bars of movies playing in DV Dark from my Panasonic 820 player produce light. I have tried numerous DV movies. This abnormality goes away at black level 49. No other settings make it go away. I believe I'm getting black crush at 49 because it was calibrated correctly. I can take screenshots if interested.

TV: Sony A9G 77" Oled & LG B7A 65" Oled
AVR: Denon AVRX4300H
F/L: Emotiva Airmotiv T2, Center: Emotiva Airmotiv C2, Surround: Emotiva Airmotiv B1 x4, Atmos: Elac A4 x4, Subwoofer: PSA V1811, Actuator: Crowson x2
4k Player: Panasonic UB 820
post #2359 of 3120 Old 10-22-2019, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
....and in the US shootout (Value Electronics 2019 TV Shootout), which was evaluated and voted by industry professionals and calibrators, the A9G won and the C9 came up at second place.

Uh oh, let's not start this up again.
post #2360 of 3120 Old 10-22-2019, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 40
Quote:
I definitely have the 122 I don’t think the 123 is shipping yet. As I said, maybe I don’t understand eARC. ARC is working between TV and 122.

I have not decided if I want to upgrade to the 123. Not sure it has any features I really want.
Yes, spending that much $ is not something one takes lightly unless big benefit. Just wanted you to know the 122 does not have the ARC, which by itself is not necessarily a huge benefit for all TVs and people as the benefits vary from TV to TV.

Assassin HTPC + Echo, Sony 49XBR850, McIntosh MX151, MC202, MC7104, MS300, B+W 803D2, CWM's, Janus 1W Sub
post #2361 of 3120 Old 10-22-2019, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Im gonna test around with that, cause i also have this OCD in my head that it sometimes looks abit grey and not black (only certain scenes and certain movies) and it drives me nuts.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Sony KD-77AG9 / AppleTV4k
post #2362 of 3120 Old 10-22-2019, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbroimp View Post
Yes, spending that much $ is not something one takes lightly unless big benefit. Just wanted you to know the 122 does not have the ARC, which by itself is not necessarily a huge benefit for all TVs and people as the benefits vary from TV to TV.
Just to be clear. I am not sure what eARC adds over ARC. I am pretty sure it has ARC as I have connected the TV ARC to the 122 ARC and video/audio are sent from TV to 122.

Sony XBR77A9G, Panasonic UB9000, McIntosh MX122, McIntosh 8207, Revel C30, Revel M22, SVS SB16 Ultra, Furman Elite 15PFi, ATV, Wireworld power and speaker cables.
post #2363 of 3120 Old 10-22-2019, 01:10 PM
All That Jazz

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
I hope that you enjoy your new A9G as much as we do ours. I wouldn’t worry about Vincent’s review. Just enjoy

A/V SYSTEM: Sony A9G 77” (main), Sony A9F 65”, Sony A8G 65”, Anthem 525, Anthem AVM 60, ProAc D80 L+R, ProAc Response CC, AT surrounds, JL112E, Oppo 203 103 83, TiVo Bolt, Apple 4KTV, Shunyata Triton 3/Denali v2, Auralex room tx, black out curtains. 2 CHANNEL STEREO: Aurender N10, Ayre QX-5 & PS Audio DS DACs, PS Audio DMP SACD transport, Ayre KX-R 20 preamp, Ayre MX-R 20 amp, Sonus Faber Amati Futura speakers.
post #2364 of 3120 Old 10-22-2019, 01:16 PM
All That Jazz

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:

I ended up changing gamma to -2 too in our light controlled dark room.

A/V SYSTEM: Sony A9G 77” (main), Sony A9F 65”, Sony A8G 65”, Anthem 525, Anthem AVM 60, ProAc D80 L+R, ProAc Response CC, AT surrounds, JL112E, Oppo 203 103 83, TiVo Bolt, Apple 4KTV, Shunyata Triton 3/Denali v2, Auralex room tx, black out curtains. 2 CHANNEL STEREO: Aurender N10, Ayre QX-5 & PS Audio DS DACs, PS Audio DMP SACD transport, Ayre KX-R 20 preamp, Ayre MX-R 20 amp, Sonus Faber Amati Futura speakers.
post #2365 of 3120 Old 10-22-2019, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 11
77A9G uniformity pics (updated after 30hrs ) I see a big improvement in my 5 percent slide and 10 percent the white looks nice and crisp ..let me know what you guys and gals think..I don’t see any tint on viewing even though the phones shows it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DCA00DC3-E038-46DC-912C-1C45EDC86843_1571775845348.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	2630734   Click image for larger version

Name:	F300BAE4-7015-4BF6-9B5B-B5B3776BD423_1571775855793.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	2630736   Click image for larger version

Name:	38BDDB81-ADEC-4E0C-9300-6C18A9457D05_1571775868598.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	2630738   Click image for larger version

Name:	F4136E57-2E67-440F-BACD-62A2A0D4CEBD_1571775882514.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	2630740   Click image for larger version

Name:	D5B1D686-C310-4A6D-803B-F035A325BD87_1571775995389.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	2630744  

post #2366 of 3120 Old 10-22-2019, 06:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Probably a stupid question but does motionflow smoothing actually work on live TV/sports? I can clearly see it working on commercials but during the broadcast itself I'm struggling to notice any difference compared to with it turned off.

Sony 55A9F
LG 55B6
post #2367 of 3120 Old 10-22-2019, 08:21 PM

Liked: 4
Quote:
Hey, i originally bought the C9 this summer, ended up getting the A9G and returning the C9. I’m coming from a 900E, which i liked, but coming off a plasma set i was never completely satisfied with it; i was alway tinkering with the picture settings. When i got the C9, the improvement over the 900E was obvious with 4k HDR material, but the motion was a bit worse, and color looked a bit off out of the box.

What really made me go for the A9G was how poor the 4K upscaling looked to me on the C9. I just couldn’t get over the fact that my old 900E seemed to upscale BD’s, streaming, and cable much better to my eyes. That alone made the A9G worth the extra cash. It’s upscaling is phenomenal in my opinion; it really does make a good 1080p source look like 4K. I wasn’t getting that with the C9.

And of course motion is smoother, color looks natural/pleasing out of the box; it just produces a more pleasing image. The C9 seemed like a good TV, but the A9G is a great TV and finally made me forget about my old plasma set. I really believe that if reviewers didn’t place so much importance on gaming (HDMI 2.1) and the C9 wasn’t priced so low, it wouldn’t be the critical darling it seems to be.
mugenacura and William Savona like this.
post #2368 of 3120 Old 10-23-2019, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post

I might should have not brought that up. My last 3 TV's have been Sony's but this is my first Oled, so I guess I'm a Sony fanboy. Thanks for the link to the review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Fosse View Post
I hope that you enjoy your new A9G as much as we do ours. I wouldn’t worry about Vincent’s review. Just enjoy
So far I am, but the menu system has changed a lot since the Z9D plus it's an Oled. The Help Menu really isn't much help, the pictures of the remote control doesn't look like the new remote that comes with the A9G. Also when I was in the section dealing with Picture Modes and settings It mentions the Action Menu on the remote and there's no Action Menu button, I have one on the Z9D remote. Actually I wished they had an Action Menu, it seemed like a faster way to get to the picture mode/settings Maybe I just need to get used to the new menu set-up? I'm still trying to find some missing Picture Modes like Sports, Animation, I-Max mode, a second Cinema Picture Mode, I assume the one I have is Cinema Home.

Quote:
Hey, i originally bought the C9 this summer, ended up getting the A9G and returning the C9. I’m coming from a 900E, which i liked, but coming off a plasma set i was never completely satisfied with it; i was alway tinkering with the picture settings. When i got the C9, the improvement over the 900E was obvious with 4k HDR material, but the motion was a bit worse, and color looked a bit off out of the box.

What really made me go for the A9G was how poor the 4K upscaling looked to me on the C9. I just couldn’t get over the fact that my old 900E seemed to upscale BD’s, streaming, and cable much better to my eyes. That alone made the A9G worth the extra cash. It’s upscaling is phenomenal in my opinion; it really does make a good 1080p source look like 4K. I wasn’t getting that with the C9.

And of course motion is smoother, color looks natural/pleasing out of the box; it just produces a more pleasing image. The C9 seemed like a good TV, but the A9G is a great TV and finally made me forget about my old plasma set. I really believe that if reviewers didn’t place so much importance on gaming (HDMI 2.1) and the C9 wasn’t priced so low, it wouldn’t be the critical darling it seems to be.
So far the upscaling is what has impressed me the most about this TV. Coming from the Z9D, that someone in the forum called a Light Cannon, my eyes need to adjust to the Oled picture. The picture reminds me a lot of the Pioneer Kuro Plasma Elite that I had, a richer more textured picture but without the softness and looking sharper, if that makes any sense

Sony A9G
Oppo UDP-205 4k player
Classe SSP-800 pre/pro
post #2369 of 3120 Old 10-23-2019, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1473 Post(s)
Liked: 840
Quote:
Just to be clear. I am not sure what eARC adds over ARC. I am pretty sure it has ARC as I have connected the TV ARC to the 122 ARC and video/audio are sent from TV to 122.
If you connect your devices to the sound bar and let it switch inputs, then eARC would add nothing. If you connect devices directly to the TV for some reason (maybe the soundbar doesn't pass DV or something through that the TV supports), then eARC allows you to pass DTS-MA, multichannel PCM (not just stereo), and Dolby TrueHD, while ARC can only do DD, DD+, DTS and stereo PCM.

But that's about it.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
post #2370 of 3120 Old 10-23-2019, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsorensen View Post
If you connect your devices to the sound bar and let it switch inputs, then eARC would add nothing. If you connect devices directly to the TV for some reason (maybe the soundbar doesn't pass DV or something through that the TV supports), then eARC allows you to pass DTS-MA, multichannel PCM (not just stereo), and Dolby TrueHD, while ARC can only do DD, DD+, DTS and stereo PCM.

But that's about it.
Got it. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page