2019 Sony A9G Master Series OLED Owner's Thread - Page 81 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1754Likes

post #2401 of 3349 Old 10-26-2019, 05:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by alettiere View Post
My 5% doesn’t look good either. I don’t think anyone’s really looks that great aside from a few lucky individuals.

Some say it improves over time but I’ve yet to buy into that belief.

I only checked 5% when I first bought the TV and that’s it. No need to go back. Most of my content looks perfectly clean. Not all, but most.

I went through a handful of sets over the years and none of them were as perfect as I wanted them to be. It’s just one of the limitations of the technology. At least for right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't think I see any of what I see with the 5% near black screen when watching my usual programming on the TV. I guess I shouldn't worry about it and I don't think I would want to go thru the hassle of having another one delivered to replace it especially since there's a chance the new one will be the same or perhaps worse. I could run a couple of panel refresh cycles to see if it improves it.

Sony A9G
Oppo UDP-205 4k player
Classe SSP-800 pre/pro
Parasound Halo 5 channel Amp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2402 of 3349 Old 10-26-2019, 06:00 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt14942 View Post
I don't think I see any of what I see with the 5% near black screen when watching my usual programming on the TV. I guess I shouldn't worry about it and I don't think I would want to go thru the hassle of having another one delivered to replace it especially since there's a chance the new one will be the same or perhaps worse. I could run a couple of panel refresh cycles to see if it improves it.
If it looks great with normal viewing, ignore it. And don't run multiple refreshes (don't run more than one) - it's not good for the panel long-term.

Sony A9G, Oppo 205, Parasound JC2, Parasound A21, Sonus Faber Olympica IIIs
post #2403 of 3349 Old 10-26-2019, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post
If it looks great with normal viewing, ignore it. And don't run multiple refreshes (don't run more than one) - it's not good for the panel long-term.
Thanks Bill. I did read or saw in a YouTube video about not running the refresh feature too many times. I have the auto refresh rate turned on in the menu. How often does the TV automatically run the Refresh Rate feature? I thought I read in this forum, every 2000 hours but that can"t be right.

Sony A9G
Oppo UDP-205 4k player
Classe SSP-800 pre/pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2404 of 3349 Old 10-26-2019, 11:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thank you so much man. I'm gonna try this out tonight
post #2405 of 3349 Old 10-26-2019, 11:54 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Hey guys,

Gonna put this question out there despite it probably being quite controversial:

When I saw this TV in the flesh the two biggest issues I had were that it seemed more reflective, and less bright than the C9. Is this something you experience in actual use?

I would be installing in a bright room with floor to ceiling windows across an entire wall - so these two issues feel pretty major to me.

Cheers

---------------

My build thread
post #2406 of 3349 Old 10-26-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyWilkinson View Post
Hey guys,

Gonna put this question out there despite it probably being quite controversial:

When I saw this TV in the flesh the two biggest issues I had were that it seemed more reflective, and less bright than the C9. Is this something you experience in actual use?

I would be installing in a bright room with floor to ceiling windows across an entire wall - so these two issues feel pretty major to me.

Cheers
The C9 may be slightly brighter, but they are equally reflective. No display is going to perform well in a bright room with floor to ceiling windows across an entire wall! Although LCDs may be slightly better than OLEDs in that setting, I can tell you my son's Vizio LCD is not so great opposite a wall of windows. Can you add room darkening shades?

post #2407 of 3349 Old 10-26-2019, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Quote:
Thanks Bill. I did read or saw in a YouTube video about not running the refresh feature too many times. I have the auto refresh rate turned on in the menu. How often does the TV automatically run the Refresh Rate feature? I thought I read in this forum, every 2000 hours but that can"t be right.

From what I understand, there are mini comp cycles that are ran regularly when the TV is off. The big cycle only occurs when you reach a certain number of hours. I just don’t mess with mine and let nature run its course.

But Sony has always discouraged running it manually more than once a year, whereas LG has no such disclaimer.

post #2408 of 3349 Old 10-26-2019, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I thought I read that downloading and installing the Calman for Bravia app unlocked the Custom Pro 1 and Custom Pro 2 picture modes. Is this not the case?

I installed but so far no luck on my set.
post #2409 of 3349 Old 10-26-2019, 08:54 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post
Quote:
Actually don't need all those Picture Mode setting choices anyway as I plan to use Cinema for my day settings and Custom for my night settings and maybe use Standard as an alternate dark room day time setting. For night time settings I am using D-Nice's settings in the Custom picture mode with 50 for color as their is no mention of what he recommends for color. I don't use his 10 Point or his per color adjustment settings as that is probably better left for a professional calibration. I did notice however when I did plug in his RGB gain settings they also showed up in my other picture mode settings. It took me awhile to figure out the new menu navigation system as it was very different from my Z9D. I did do a firmware update as there was one available when I checked for it and I now have pkg 6.2540.0327. Is that in fact the latest firmware update and is it recommended to do a factory reset or a reboot afterwards?
RGB settings should work fine with your A9G. Please keep in mind that my posted settings are based on the alternative white point methodology that Mastering studios use in Hollywood. I’️ve tested my settings on 12 random A9G displays of different sizes and build dates with far better PQ results compared to stock settings.
I always thought that RGB settings should never be copied from one display to another. I’d wouldn’t mind trying those RGB settings myself, as i prob won’t get my set calibrated until at least December. Just always thought that was a no-no.
post #2410 of 3349 Old 10-26-2019, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrens View Post
I thought I read that downloading and installing the Calman for Bravia app unlocked the Custom Pro 1 and Custom Pro 2 picture modes. Is this not the case?

I installed but so far no luck on my set.
I had the same notion as you, downloaded and installed the app, but no CP 1 or 2 unlock. Then when i read more about it, it seems that you need the actual calibration hardware in addition to the app in order to unlock the CP picture slots.
post #2411 of 3349 Old 10-27-2019, 12:25 AM

Just tried plugging in D-Nice’s settings including RGB; looks pretty good, Though i’m still wondering about Peak Luminance on Low, as Medium gives the picture a little more pop. Having said that, the picture looks good on Low as well. What’s the general consensus on the Peak Luminance setting? is there a “correct” setting here? Most professional reviewers seem to recommend Medium, and Sony’s default settings all use Medium for SDR. Am i screwing up D-Nice’s settings by putting it on Medium? Since he’s a professional calibrator, i value his input much more than a reviewer.

I’m just trying to get the best/most accurate picture i can squeeze out of the A9G until i can get it properly calibrated. So far i’ve just been taking the safest approach: Custom picture mode, everything on default, except RC and SG set to off, and Brightness usually around 15-30 depending on time of day/ambient light.
post #2412 of 3349 Old 10-27-2019, 01:51 AM

Quote:
The C9 may be slightly brighter, but they are equally reflective. No display is going to perform well in a bright room with floor to ceiling windows across an entire wall! Although LCDs may be slightly better than OLEDs in that setting, I can tell you my son's Vizio LCD is not so great opposite a wall of windows. Can you add room darkening shades?
Thanks for the reply. There are darkening shades inside and sliding shutters outside, but I would like a TV which works well even without using all of those.

The TV will be mounted perpendicular to the glass wall (rather than opposite) so it shouldn't be quite as bad as your son's situation. It's just a 'generally bright' environment so I don't want the combination of reduced brightness and more reflectivity to diminish the picture.

I'm considering the A9G and the Q900 as I need the TV to mount pretty much flush to the wall. I may also wait until CES to see what's coming up next year!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9202.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	2632702  

---------------

My build thread

Last edited by JohnnyWilkinson; 10-27-2019 at 05:27 AM.
post #2413 of 3349 Old 10-27-2019, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. There are darkening shades inside and sliding shutters outside, but I would like a TV which works well even without using all of those.

The TV will be mounted perpendicular to the glass wall (rather than opposite) so it shouldn't be quite as bad as your son's situation. It's just a 'generally bright' environment so I don't want the combination of reduced brightness and more reflectivity to diminish the picture.

I'm considering the A9G and the Q900 as I need the TV to mount pretty much flush to the wall. I may also wait until CES to see what's coming up next year!
IMO, the C9 does not offer any advantage over the A9G in a very bright room. But you may want to consider an LCD if you watch a lot during the day. But for movies at night, an OLED beats an LCD hands down.

post #2414 of 3349 Old 10-27-2019, 08:41 AM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6865 Post(s)
Liked: 6864
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
My 55" Hitachi Director Series of 15 years died a week ago Saturday. I really wanted the 77" inch A9G but I could not justify the additional cost so I bought the 65" and it arrived last Thursday.
Congrats, boy was that a great TV, I remember those

Quote:
IMO, the C9 does not offer any advantage over the A9G in a very bright room. But you may want to consider an LCD if you watch a lot during the day. But for movies at night, an OLED beats an LCD hands down.
Most people are concerned about this, most of those same people watch limited amount of TV during the day.

Last edited by Cleveland Plasma; 10-30-2019 at 12:02 PM.
post #2415 of 3349 Old 10-27-2019, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1194 Post(s)
Liked: 959
Quote:

Any brightness difference between C9 and A9G would not be noticeable unless you are comparing test pattern results or have them side by side on specific scenes.

Your more important consideration should be whether an OLED is the right choice, or if you need a much brighter TV in the first place. You're not really going to notice any difference between say 570 nit or 700 nit peak Brightness, as you would with 1,800 nits etc.

I have a window on my side wall next to the couch and on same wall with the TV. In general for non critical viewing, it's bright enough (i.e. watching football or wife watching TV). There's definitely reflections but not terribly distracting. Barely notice them unless it's black levels. Any serious viewing, I do it at night anyway. OLEDs are brighter than what our older LCDs used to be for many years.

My Z9D got way brighter, but I could still see reflections. The "drop off" in Brightness didn't seem as drastic since I'm still seeing reflections and SDR content doesn't get too bright anyway.
sd13 likes this.

Last edited by pbz06; 10-27-2019 at 09:41 AM.
post #2416 of 3349 Old 10-27-2019, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanBoyS View Post
Just tried plugging in D-Nice’s settings including RGB; looks pretty good, Though i’m still wondering about Peak Luminance on Low, as Medium gives the picture a little more pop. Having said that, the picture looks good on Low as well. What’s the general consensus on the Peak Luminance setting? is there a “correct” setting here? Most professional reviewers seem to recommend Medium, and Sony’s default settings all use Medium for SDR. Am i screwing up D-Nice’s settings by putting it on Medium? Since he’s a professional calibrator, i value his input much more than a reviewer.

I’m just trying to get the best/most accurate picture i can squeeze out of the A9G until i can get it properly calibrated. So far i’ve just been taking the safest approach: Custom picture mode, everything on default, except RC and SG set to off, and Brightness usually around 15-30 depending on time of day/ambient light.
There's a difference between pop and accurate give it a few minutes and then it looks good. I agree switching back and forth, medium catches the eye more.

That setting controls how bright each pixel can get and how much "range" it has. For SDR, my guess is that Low is plenty under calibrated light controlled conditions.

On the Sony LCDs, this setting is called Xtended Dynamic Range
post #2417 of 3349 Old 10-27-2019, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I ordered my 65” a9g. I also have a Denon 3600H which has eARC like the A9g. Is there anything I should know before hand in terms of making both work together properly? Any settings that I should know about. I want to use the TV for all apps and Plex instead of my shield since eARC allows uncompressed audio to pass back to the receiver.
post #2418 of 3349 Old 10-27-2019, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4075 Post(s)
Liked: 3804
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltonic View Post
I ordered my 65” a9g. I also have a Denon 3600H which has eARC like the A9g. Is there anything I should know before hand in terms of making both work together properly? Any settings that I should know about. I want to use the TV for all apps and Plex instead of my shield since eARC allows uncompressed audio to pass back to the receiver.
On the Sony in the Sound menu set the eARC setting to "Auto" and Digital audio out to "Auto 1". On the Denon under Video>HDMI Setup set HDMI Control to Off" and ARC to "Off".
post #2419 of 3349 Old 10-27-2019, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
On the Sony in the Sound menu set the eARC setting to "Auto" and Digital audio out to "Auto 1". On the Denon under Video>HDMI Setup set HDMI Control to Off" and ARC to "Off".

Just curious why would you set the arc to off on the Denon?
post #2420 of 3349 Old 10-27-2019, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Sharpness adjustment

I just received my 65" A9G two days ago. It produces a MARVELOUS picture OOTB. I'm quite impressed by it.

I've been acclimating myself to all the software adjustments in the menus. I have no problem in using these adjustments, except for one–the "sharpness" adjustment. I'm using the "Spears and Munsil" disc to adjust my set. When I use the "sharpness" slide adjustment, I can see no change in the picture when moving the "sharpness" slider from one extreme to another. On my previous set (LCD), when using this adjustment, I could easily see an "outline" on the cross hairs when setting it too high and, conversely, see the slide getting softer when moving the adjustment to minimum. What am I missing here? Otherwise, so far, the set is "perfect". Thanks for any responses.

BTW–the sharpness of the video appears normal when viewing movies, tv shows, etc..
post #2421 of 3349 Old 10-27-2019, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4075 Post(s)
Liked: 3804
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltonic View Post
Just curious why would you set the arc to off on the Denon?
Because I don't use any ARC functionality and it's not needed for eARC to operate.
post #2422 of 3349 Old 10-27-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbz06 View Post
Any brightness difference between C9 and A9G would not be noticeable unless you are comparing test pattern results or have them side by side on specific scenes.

Your more important consideration should be whether an OLED is the right choice, or if you need a much brighter TV in the first place. You're not really going to notice any difference between say 570 nit or 700 nit peak Brightness, as you would with 1,800 nits etc.

I have a window on my side wall next to the couch and on same wall with the TV. In general for non critical viewing, it's bright enough (i.e. watching football or wife watching TV). There's definitely reflections but not terribly distracting. Barely notice them unless it's black levels. Any serious viewing, I do it at night anyway. OLEDs are brighter than what our older LCDs used to be for many years.

My Z9D got way brighter, but I could still see reflections. The "drop off" in Brightness didn't seem as drastic since I'm still seeing reflections and SDR content doesn't get too bright anyway.
Thanks very much for this, it helps a lot.

For me, the TV on the ground floor (this one) is more of a 'daytime' viewing for non-serious TV. Maybe live sports, news channels, bit of children's TV etc. A lot of this will be during the day.

For more serious movie / Netflix / sports watching during the evening I'll be in the cinema area downstairs on the 170" screen with the serious audio system.

I'm leaning towards the Q900R based on this - I think it'll be noticeably brighter, actually sits closer to the wall and has the OneConnect box as well as the ambient mode (which might be good for this room).

There's no doubt I prefer the blacks on the A9G but I think I won't benefit from it much. I do believe there's a clear improvement in picture quality with the 8K material on the 900R (even from a distance) but there's no such material available yet, so that advantage isn't really relevant. Shame, as I've wanted an OLED for a very long time - it just seems not the right choice for this particular location.

---------------

My build thread
post #2423 of 3349 Old 10-27-2019, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks very much for this, it helps a lot.

For me, the TV on the ground floor (this one) is more of a 'daytime' viewing for non-serious TV. Maybe live sports, news channels, bit of children's TV etc. A lot of this will be during the day.

For more serious movie / Netflix / sports watching during the evening I'll be in the cinema area downstairs on the 170" screen with the serious audio system.

I'm leaning towards the Q900R based on this - I think it'll be noticeably brighter, actually sits closer to the wall and has the OneConnect box as well as the ambient mode (which might be good for this room).

There's no doubt I prefer the blacks on the A9G but I think I won't benefit from it much. I do believe there's a clear improvement in picture quality with the 8K material on the 900R (even from a distance) but there's no such material available yet, so that advantage isn't really relevant. Shame, as I've wanted an OLED for a very long time - it just seems not the right choice for this particular location.
It sounds like with your scenario, a great LCD would suffice perfectly. Any dropoff in black level wouldn't really be noticeable if you're not in a dark room. And at least the Samsung has good reflection handling.

But to counter that, you also don't want buyer's remorse if you really wanted an OLED
post #2424 of 3349 Old 10-27-2019, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbz06 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FanBoyS View Post
Just tried plugging in D-Nice’️s settings including RGB; looks pretty good, Though i’️m still wondering about Peak Luminance on Low, as Medium gives the picture a little more pop. Having said that, the picture looks good on Low as well. What’️s the general consensus on the Peak Luminance setting? is there a “correct” setting here? Most professional reviewers seem to recommend Medium, and Sony’️s default settings all use Medium for SDR. Am i screwing up D-Nice’️s settings by putting it on Medium? Since he’️s a professional calibrator, i value his input much more than a reviewer.

I’️m just trying to get the best/most accurate picture i can squeeze out of the A9G until i can get it properly calibrated. So far i’️ve just been taking the safest approach: Custom picture mode, everything on default, except RC and SG set to off, and Brightness usually around 15-30 depending on time of day/ambient light.
There's a difference between pop and accurate [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/tongue.gif[/IMG] give it a few minutes and then it looks good. I agree switching back and forth, medium catches the eye more.

That setting controls how bright each pixel can get and how much "range" it has. For SDR, my guess is that Low is plenty under calibrated light controlled conditions.

On the Sony LCDs, this setting is called Xtended Dynamic Range
Thanks for the info and reply. I actually have a Sony 900E as well and never realized that Peak Luminance and XDR were basically the same. But that makes perfect sense. It’s interesting that on a Sony LED the XDR option doesn’t work well with SDR content and is off by default in the Cinema Pro preset, but on a Sony OLED the Peak Luminance setting looks great with SDR and is on by default in the Custom preset (same idea as Cinema Pro) . Different screen tech, different rules (and benefits) i suppose.
post #2425 of 3349 Old 10-27-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidop View Post
I just received my 65" A9G two days ago. It produces a MARVELOUS picture OOTB. I'm quite impressed by it.

I've been acclimating myself to all the software adjustments in the menus. I have no problem in using these adjustments, except for one–the "sharpness" adjustment. I'm using the "Spears and Munsil" disc to adjust my set. When I use the "sharpness" slide adjustment, I can see no change in the picture when moving the "sharpness" slider from one extreme to another. On my previous set (LCD), when using this adjustment, I could easily see an "outline" on the cross hairs when setting it too high and, conversely, see the slide getting softer when moving the adjustment to minimum. What am I missing here? Otherwise, so far, the set is "perfect". Thanks for any responses.

BTW–the sharpness of the video appears normal when viewing movies, tv shows, etc..
From what i’ve read and understand (and from personal experience) the default sharpness of 50 is correct on Sony sets and should always be left there. The 50 setting is Sony’s version of 0, and isn’t sharpening or softening the picture. If it looks normal to you, there’s no reason to fuss with it.

If you want to sharpen the image and aren’t a stickler for accuracy, you could try using Reality Creation. Personally, 50 sharpness with RC turned off always looks best to my eyes; assuming you’re not using a cable box, then RC may help a bit depending on content.
post #2426 of 3349 Old 10-28-2019, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders4life12 View Post
So far loving the a9. Did this tv get the airplay 2 update? If yes how do you use it?

When will the Airplay update come out. Is it still scheduled too?
post #2427 of 3349 Old 10-28-2019, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Thanks,

He recommends that gamma on SDR or HDR?

edit: Im gonna try these settings but im curious, what would be the best way to calibrate blacks and whites when i have zero knowledge in calibrating, some slide?

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Sony KD-77AG9 / AppleTV4k

Last edited by box4m; 10-28-2019 at 10:24 AM.
post #2428 of 3349 Old 10-28-2019, 10:32 AM

How do apps like Plex, Netflix, and vudu perform compared to them work on Nvidia Shield? I use shield on my LG OLED and the apps perform great. Curious if there are any problems with the apps working on android tv on Sony.
post #2429 of 3349 Old 10-28-2019, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks Bill. I haven't had to do a factory reboot, but did do a reboot via the remote in the three days that I have had this TV. I made the mistake this morning and looked at a YouTube video with the 5% dark screen and It wasn't pretty as far as uniformity. It had a lot of blotches and shading variations especially the top corners and even the bottom but no vertical banding that I could make out. this same video on my Z9D LED TV looked 100% better. I have although enjoyed watching the TV with real content viewing, as my eyes adjust to the darker picture coming from the Z9D light cannon. I'm not sure if I should be concerned about the screen uniformity, but I am sure I am going pay attention to the screen in the areas that I saw the most unevenness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alettiere View Post
My 5% doesn’t look good either. I don’t think anyone’s really looks that great aside from a few lucky individuals.

Some say it improves over time but I’ve yet to buy into that belief.

I only checked 5% when I first bought the TV and that’s it. No need to go back. Most of my content looks perfectly clean. Not all, but most.

I went through a handful of sets over the years and none of them were as perfect as I wanted them to be. It’s just one of the limitations of the technology. At least for right now.

you may want to take a look at the same 5% screen again, I'd be curious if your TV
has improved with time, like mine has?

Quote:
I haven't run any compensation cycles in the 6 days since I have had this TV. I didn't like what my screen uniformity looked like on a 5% screen YouTube video initially but maybe my eyes were playing tricks on me as I looked at that 5% screen YouTube video again and what I initially saw is no longer there and it actually looks good now. Do these TV'S get TV better with time? Is the compensation cycles that this TV runs on occasion responsible for this drastic improvement?

Sony A9G
Oppo UDP-205 4k player
Classe SSP-800 pre/pro

Last edited by mt14942; 10-28-2019 at 11:06 AM.
post #2430 of 3349 Old 10-28-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by box4m View Post
Thanks,

He recommends that gamma on SDR or HDR?

edit: Im gonna try these settings but im curious, what would be the best way to calibrate blacks and whites when i have zero knowledge in calibrating, some slide?
Based on the Brightness of 36 in his settings, those are SDR settings (Brightness would be Max for HDR).
If you have no experience calibrating, you should not attempt to do so. You will more likely mess up the picture rather than improve it. The display is pretty accurate out of the box. Either just watch and enjoy as is, or use D-Nice's settings.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page