2019 Sony A9G Master Series OLED Owner's Thread - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 867Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #241 of 1367 Old 05-25-2019, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bama
Posts: 12,135
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 5931
I think if I am lucky @jrref will be calibrating mine next week!
WOLVERNOLE and chunon like this.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F
Oppo UDP-203 / Sony X800M2
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
gadgtfreek is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #242 of 1367 Old 05-25-2019, 07:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: New York
Posts: 5,238
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4280 Post(s)
Liked: 5234
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
I think if I am lucky @jrref will be calibrating mine next week!
Yep on Wednesday. Just looked at it again yesterday and it's almost ready to go. I know i'm going to say something that doesn't make sense but I'm seeing some improvement in the level of tinting as the sets breaks in. In some cases, significant meaning I was on the edge to send the set back vs it getting into an nice acceptable range. Acceptable meaning, we know there is tinting but you can only pick it out when looking with the specific colors we now know accentuate the issue.
gadgtfreek likes this.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified
jrref is online now  
post #243 of 1367 Old 05-25-2019, 07:21 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 24,000
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6394 Post(s)
Liked: 6393
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post

I guess we have to accept certain limitations with OLED technology as it is today and accept that the Pro's of OLED outweighs the Con's until the panel technology gets better.
True but they had many years to work on it, probably more of a technology limitation. They have been working on LED's for a long, long time and we still have limitations.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs1a View Post
Costco only has the a8f??? Wow.
A9G will be sold at high end stores.........
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #244 of 1367 Old 05-25-2019, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: New York
Posts: 5,238
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4280 Post(s)
Liked: 5234
I still think the some of the non-screen uniformities with OLED are cost related because I still see sometimes significant variations from panel to panel. I can put my special test pattern usb in the loop we use at the showroom and see 10 or more sets all at once and compare them which is very unique and makes it easy to spot sets that are out of spec and need to go back to the manufacturer vs what every set has.
gadgtfreek likes this.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified
jrref is online now  
post #245 of 1367 Old 05-25-2019, 09:43 AM
Member
 
SJacks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 11
After having a 65 inch LG C9 for about a month I exchanged it for a 65 inch Sony A9G today and so far, out of the box, the Sony is far more satisfying than the LG.

Sony 65A9G
Denon AVR-X3200W (AV Receiver)
Panasonic UB820 (4K Blu Ray Player)
Polk Audio TSi400 (x2), Polk Audio TSi300 (x2), Polk Audio RM8 (x2), Polk Audio Blackstone TL3 (Center), Elemental Designs A2-300 (Subwoofer)
SJacks is offline  
post #246 of 1367 Old 05-25-2019, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
helvetica bold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,345
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1593 Post(s)
Liked: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJacks View Post
After having a 65 inch LG C9 for about a month I exchanged it for a 65 inch Sony A9G today and so far, out of the box, the Sony is far more satisfying than the LG.


Can you explain a little further. Vincent just reviewed the C9 and gave it a best in class award. Curious why you prefer the A9G over the C9?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG65C9, XBOX ONE X, PS4PRO, APPLE 4K, SONY STRDN1070, TAKE CLASSIC 5.1
helvetica bold is online now  
post #247 of 1367 Old 05-25-2019, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
BillP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: PA
Posts: 14,570
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
I think if I am lucky @jrref will be calibrating mine next week!
Probably mine too.
BillP is offline  
post #248 of 1367 Old 05-25-2019, 10:41 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
I still think the some of the non-screen uniformities with OLED are cost related because I still see sometimes significant variations from panel to panel. I can put my special test pattern usb in the loop we use at the showroom and see 10 or more sets all at once and compare them which is very unique and makes it easy to spot sets that are out of spec and need to go back to the manufacturer vs what every set has.
Would you agree that tinting and non-uniformity seems worse on all the 2019 sets? I'm almost tempted at this point, to save a few quid/dollars and buy a A9F.
Garry Allen is offline  
post #249 of 1367 Old 05-25-2019, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: New York
Posts: 5,238
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4280 Post(s)
Liked: 5234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry Allen View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
I still think the some of the non-screen uniformities with OLED are cost related because I still see sometimes significant variations from panel to panel. I can put my special test pattern usb in the loop we use at the showroom and see 10 or more sets all at once and compare them which is very unique and makes it easy to spot sets that are out of spec and need to go back to the manufacturer vs what every set has.
Would you agree that tinting and non-uniformity seems worse on all the 2019 sets? I'm almost tempted at this point, to save a few quid/dollars and buy a A9F.
It’s hard to quantify since banding has been reduced so much that everyone is focused on tinting.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified
jrref is online now  
post #250 of 1367 Old 05-25-2019, 10:55 AM
Member
 
SJacks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
Can you explain a little further. Vincent just reviewed the C9 and gave it a best in class award. Curious why you prefer the A9G over the C9?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The LG C9 that I had was a bit brighter, but that's about it. It's possible that the C9 that I had was a lemon, but there were several issues that I wasn't able to figure out. The motion was bad with blur, shakiness and there even seemed to be a kind of white light brightness with the motion as well (scenes with fire or rays of sunlight looked pretty artificial). With trumotion turned off, the picture was far too choppy. There was also lots of "noise." Not sure if that's the correct term, but blu ray content often looked similar to cable with facial skin pores looking like they were moving and looking very staticky. Colors on my C9 also tended to have a kind of dull matte look to them. Netflix looked pretty good on the C9 when using the built in app, but did not look as good when accessing Netflix from Apple TV or from my Panasonic UB820 via my Denon receiver. I switched out HDMI cables and bypassed my receiver, but the results were the same. I'm not having that issue with the A9G.

I'm far from a TV expert. Quite the opposite, but I did play with the settings on the C9 for about a month and just couldn't get the picture that I wanted. I found myself having to reset to the default settings every other day and starting over. I still have to figure out the best settings for this A9G, but so far, out of the box, the default settings are far better than the default settings of the C9 and don't have most of the flaws that the C9 had even after playing with the C9's settings.

Overall the biggest difference that I've noticed between the two tv's is that the A9G has much better motion that's easier on the eyes and deeper, bolder colors. Generally speaking, the picture looks more realistic and natural on the A9G. With the C9, I just felt like I could literally see the TV trying to process the picture. I've followed reviews of the C9 pretty carefully and I'm fully aware that most praise the TV and so it is quite possible that I had somewhat of a lemon. Not sure if that was the case or not, but I can say that I haven't touched the picture settings on the A9G yet and it looks better than the C9 that I had. I know that I have a long way to go before I get the best picture out of this A9G and I'll be following this thread closely for recommendations, but so far I actually feel a sense of relief after making this exchange.
Spizz, WOLVERNOLE, value and 2 others like this.

Last edited by SJacks; 05-25-2019 at 11:00 AM.
SJacks is offline  
post #251 of 1367 Old 05-25-2019, 12:38 PM
Member
 
MrKyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: La Palma, CA
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJacks View Post
The LG C9 that I had was a bit brighter, but that's about it. It's possible that the C9 that I had was a lemon, but there were several issues that I wasn't able to figure out. The motion was bad with blur, shakiness and there even seemed to be a kind of white light brightness with the motion as well (scenes with fire or rays of sunlight looked pretty artificial). With trumotion turned off, the picture was far too choppy. There was also lots of "noise." Not sure if that's the correct term, but blu ray content often looked similar to cable with facial skin pores looking like they were moving and looking very staticky. Colors on my C9 also tended to have a kind of dull matte look to them. Netflix looked pretty good on the C9 when using the built in app, but did not look as good when accessing Netflix from Apple TV or from my Panasonic UB820 via my Denon receiver. I switched out HDMI cables and bypassed my receiver, but the results were the same. I'm not having that issue with the A9G.

I'm far from a TV expert. Quite the opposite, but I did play with the settings on the C9 for about a month and just couldn't get the picture that I wanted. I found myself having to reset to the default settings every other day and starting over. I still have to figure out the best settings for this A9G, but so far, out of the box, the default settings are far better than the default settings of the C9 and don't have most of the flaws that the C9 had even after playing with the C9's settings.

Overall the biggest difference that I've noticed between the two tv's is that the A9G has much better motion that's easier on the eyes and deeper, bolder colors. Generally speaking, the picture looks more realistic and natural on the A9G. With the C9, I just felt like I could literally see the TV trying to process the picture. I've followed reviews of the C9 pretty carefully and I'm fully aware that most praise the TV and so it is quite possible that I had somewhat of a lemon. Not sure if that was the case or not, but I can say that I haven't touched the picture settings on the A9G yet and it looks better than the C9 that I had. I know that I have a long way to go before I get the best picture out of this A9G and I'll be following this thread closely for recommendations, but so far I actually feel a sense of relief after making this exchange.
Was the blur more pronounced on particular type of content: ie sports versus streaming/satellite cable/Bluray content? Or was it universally not good? I am on fence between a 77 A9G and a 77C9

thanks!

Living Room - XBR77A9G
Bedroom - 65VT30
MrKyle is offline  
post #252 of 1367 Old 05-25-2019, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member
 
Menarini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: India/Working abroad
Posts: 948
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry Allen View Post
Would you agree that tinting and non-uniformity seems worse on all the 2019 sets? I'm almost tempted at this point, to save a few quid/dollars and buy a A9F.
If the picture measurements show a minuscule difference of like 1-1.5%, those will not translate into any real world difference when viewing content. ABT did an input lag measurement on the a9g which shows a difference of around 1 ms compared to a9f, that will not yield any real world difference. I am waiting to see the measurements on peak brightness and color gamut/volume, if those are also very close to the a9f, then i might probably favor the a9f. I'm seeing the a9f available for about 400 usd cheaper than the a9g. That price, coupled with some people in this thread talking about tinting being a prevalent issue on the a9g might steer me to the a9f. I demoed the a9f in a light controlled room last year, ran a youtube video of full field white and i really dont remember spotting tinting anywhere on the screen. On a 5% window there were some bands which is typical of every oled out there.
Menarini is offline  
post #253 of 1367 Old 05-25-2019, 01:14 PM
Member
 
SJacks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKyle View Post
Was the blur more pronounced on particular type of content: ie sports versus streaming/satellite cable/Bluray content? Or was it universally not good? I am on fence between a 77 A9G and a 77C9

thanks!
The blur was universal for the most part, but at its worst with streamed content and a bit better with blu ray and 4k disks.
SJacks is offline  
post #254 of 1367 Old 05-25-2019, 02:44 PM
Member
 
SJacks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So far, the only troubles I've had with the A9G is extreme overscan with my cable box. Some EXTREME zoom going on and haven't figured out how to correct the problem yet.

Sony 65A9G
Denon AVR-X3200W (AV Receiver)
Panasonic UB820 (4K Blu Ray Player)
Polk Audio TSi400 (x2), Polk Audio TSi300 (x2), Polk Audio RM8 (x2), Polk Audio Blackstone TL3 (Center), Elemental Designs A2-300 (Subwoofer)
SJacks is offline  
post #255 of 1367 Old 05-25-2019, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bama
Posts: 12,135
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 5931
How does Vincent give the C9 a best in class when its the only one he has done?
JNMNL52 likes this.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F
Oppo UDP-203 / Sony X800M2
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
gadgtfreek is online now  
post #256 of 1367 Old 05-25-2019, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member
 
Menarini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: India/Working abroad
Posts: 948
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked: 375
^He'll pick the best of 2019 at his hosted shootout. I do think c9 will win 'best in class' on gaming compared to others because of the inclusion of hdmi 2.1 features. but best tv or best home theater tv dont think it will win. panasonic won the last two years.
Menarini is offline  
post #257 of 1367 Old 05-25-2019, 03:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
JD23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,990
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
How does Vincent give the C9 a best in class when its the only one he has done?

I'm thinking quite a few OLEDs will be "Best in Class" this year.
JD23 is online now  
post #258 of 1367 Old 05-25-2019, 04:03 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Tuesday My 65 sony A9g gets delivered and set up. In the USA a9g will win best picture. C9 geared for gamers. And
in Europe the Panasonic will win best overall. As far as best in class-It's me -paid less than $2800.00 for 65 a9g.
rogo, GregF2 and gadgtfreek like this.
KILLINGSOB is offline  
post #259 of 1367 Old 05-25-2019, 05:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RadTech51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,163
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Just saw the 77” A9G in person and I was pleasantly surprised with what I saw! The A9G was beautiful to behold much more so than any pictures actually show. I highly recommend to anyone if in doubt here to go look at the A9G in person. My first impression was actually WoW that’s one beautiful display and I didn’t get any feeling in anyway that this panel was less premium than the A1E was. In fact after it in person now I like it more!

The location in the store for this 77” A9G as you will see from the picture below was not ideal. It was literally one of the worst places they could have put it because of all the outside glare and ambient lighting going on this time of day. But anyway the picture does not do justice this thing was gorgeous!

I had a chance to play around with the new remote control it was really well designed had a nice feel to it real premium nice job Sony. The operating system was different from my A1E but I liked it a lot, I still have to play around with it to get used to everything though. Can’t wait to get mine now super excited! 😉
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	067ABBB8-DC8E-4965-9F52-F51D3C2F58F2_1558831631563.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	2571824   Click image for larger version

Name:	6A55EC80-42CB-4C28-8B42-D3100E31B618_1558831648056.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	2571826   Click image for larger version

Name:	292EBFA0-714F-4BC7-BF95-0F7AD9E09096_1558831659880.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	2571828  
Spizz, value, Diesel Pro and 3 others like this.

 

Sharp Elite PRO- 70X5FD 
Pioneer Elite VSX- 52 (A/V receiver)
Pioneer Elite BDP3FD (Blu-Ray) Player
Surround sound system: B&W (2) CM8's, (1) CENTER CHANNEL, (2) CM1 BOOKSHELF MONITORS's, (1) ASW10CM ACTIVE SUBWOOFER.
RadTech51 is offline  
post #260 of 1367 Old 05-25-2019, 06:04 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 315
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJacks View Post
The LG C9 that I had was a bit brighter, but that's about it. It's possible that the C9 that I had was a lemon, but there were several issues that I wasn't able to figure out. The motion was bad with blur, shakiness and there even seemed to be a kind of white light brightness with the motion as well (scenes with fire or rays of sunlight looked pretty artificial). With trumotion turned off, the picture was far too choppy. There was also lots of "noise." Not sure if that's the correct term, but blu ray content often looked similar to cable with facial skin pores looking like they were moving and looking very staticky. Colors on my C9 also tended to have a kind of dull matte look to them. Netflix looked pretty good on the C9 when using the built in app, but did not look as good when accessing Netflix from Apple TV or from my Panasonic UB820 via my Denon receiver. I switched out HDMI cables and bypassed my receiver, but the results were the same. I'm not having that issue with the A9G.

I'm far from a TV expert. Quite the opposite, but I did play with the settings on the C9 for about a month and just couldn't get the picture that I wanted. I found myself having to reset to the default settings every other day and starting over. I still have to figure out the best settings for this A9G, but so far, out of the box, the default settings are far better than the default settings of the C9 and don't have most of the flaws that the C9 had even after playing with the C9's settings.

Overall the biggest difference that I've noticed between the two tv's is that the A9G has much better motion that's easier on the eyes and deeper, bolder colors. Generally speaking, the picture looks more realistic and natural on the A9G. With the C9, I just felt like I could literally see the TV trying to process the picture. I've followed reviews of the C9 pretty carefully and I'm fully aware that most praise the TV and so it is quite possible that I had somewhat of a lemon. Not sure if that was the case or not, but I can say that I haven't touched the picture settings on the A9G yet and it looks better than the C9 that I had. I know that I have a long way to go before I get the best picture out of this A9G and I'll be following this thread closely for recommendations, but so far I actually feel a sense of relief after making this exchange.
This is the difference between Sony processing and the rest. Test patterns and color charts won't illustrate this, you just have to spend time with the set watching a variety of real content. On my LG, broadcast TV looks clearly upscaled as you described. On the Sony everything looks like it was 1080p or 4K to begin with and just incredibly clean overall. The image on my A9F has incredible depth and dimensionality because of this, like you're looking out of a window.
WOLVERNOLE, jrref and Dimon.Zorg like this.

Sony 55A9F
LG 55B6
Micolash is offline  
post #261 of 1367 Old 05-25-2019, 06:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 315
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadTech51 View Post
Just saw the 77” A9G in person and I was pleasantly surprised with what I saw! The A9G was beautiful to behold much more so than any pictures actually show. I highly recommend to anyone if in doubt here to go look at the A9G in person. My first impression was actually WoW that’s one beautiful display and I didn’t get any feeling in anyway that this panel was less premium than the A1E was. In fact after it in person now I like it more!

The location in the store for this 77” A9G as you will see from the picture below was not ideal. It was literally one of the worst places they could have put it because of all the outside glare and ambient lighting going on this time of day. But anyway the picture does not do justice this thing was gorgeous!

I had a chance to play around with the new remote control it was really well designed had a nice feel to it real premium nice job Sony. The operating system was different from my A1E but I liked it a lot, I still have to play around with it to get used to everything though. Can’t wait to get mine now super excited! 😉
That's a nice looking set. I wasn't sure of the round stand at first but after looking at these pics I think it is a better a design than the A8F.

Sony 55A9F
LG 55B6
Micolash is offline  
post #262 of 1367 Old 05-25-2019, 06:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RadTech51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,163
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micolash View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadTech51 View Post
Just saw the 77” A9G in person and I was pleasantly surprised with what I saw! The A9G was beautiful to behold much more so than any pictures actually show. I highly recommend to anyone if in doubt here to go look at the A9G in person. My first impression was actually WoW that’s one beautiful display and I didn’t get any feeling in anyway that this panel was less premium than the A1E was. In fact after it in person now I like it more!

The location in the store for this 77” A9G as you will see from the picture below was not ideal. It was literally one of the worst places they could have put it because of all the outside glare and ambient lighting going on this time of day. But anyway the picture does not do justice this thing was gorgeous!

I had a chance to play around with the new remote control it was really well designed had a nice feel to it real premium nice job Sony. The operating system was different from my A1E but I liked it a lot, I still have to play around with it to get used to everything though. Can’t wait to get mine now super excited! 😉
That's a nice looking set. I wasn't sure of the round stand at first but after looking at these pics I think it is a better a design than the A8F.
These pictures just can’t do justice. Here’s a few snapshots from the 65” A9G located just to the right of the 77”.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E8D5A08A-548D-4DC3-90ED-582224F7274A_1558835177542.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	223.6 KB
ID:	2571864   Click image for larger version

Name:	ADE8B8DE-E2E5-42E1-8FB2-4C316876ED51_1558835194157.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	255.0 KB
ID:	2571866  
WOLVERNOLE, MrKyle and Micolash like this.

 

Sharp Elite PRO- 70X5FD 
Pioneer Elite VSX- 52 (A/V receiver)
Pioneer Elite BDP3FD (Blu-Ray) Player
Surround sound system: B&W (2) CM8's, (1) CENTER CHANNEL, (2) CM1 BOOKSHELF MONITORS's, (1) ASW10CM ACTIVE SUBWOOFER.
RadTech51 is offline  
post #263 of 1367 Old 05-25-2019, 06:57 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 315
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 155
^ Nice!

Even in pictures you can see the detail and depth on these Sony OLEDs.

Sony 55A9F
LG 55B6
Micolash is offline  
post #264 of 1367 Old 05-25-2019, 09:58 PM
Advanced Member
 
alettiere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 641
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 332
I have had my A9G since yesterday.

The only thing I don’t like about the stand is that, since the TV sits so low, you get a lot of harsh reflections bouncing off the stand, as well as whatever TV stand you put it on. With the A9F or A1E, you can place it on the very edge of your stand, so that eliminates any pronounced reflections. I might experiment with maybe a strip of black felt to reduce this, but not sure if it will help.

Any tinting on mine is subtle enough to where I don’t find it distracting. Uniformity is typical of our usual 5% shots, but thus far, I haven’t found it as nearly as distracting as I did on the A1E and A9F I returned due to uniformity issues.

I did a quick two point calibration with my iDisplayPro for SDR. Looks good overall, although I’m sure a pro calibrator could probably do much better. Going to watch several BDs before giving a more detailed opinion.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alettiere is online now  
post #265 of 1367 Old 05-25-2019, 10:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
Menarini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: India/Working abroad
Posts: 948
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by alettiere View Post
I have had my A9G since yesterday.

The only thing I don’t like about the stand is that, since the TV sits so low, you get a lot of harsh reflections bouncing off the stand, as well as whatever TV stand you put it on. With the A9F or A1E, you can place it on the very edge of your stand, so that eliminates any pronounced reflections. I might experiment with maybe a strip of black felt to reduce this, but not sure if it will help.

Any tinting on mine is subtle enough to where I don’t find it distracting. Uniformity is typical of our usual 5% shots, but thus far, I haven’t found it as nearly as distracting as I did on the A1E and A9F I returned due to uniformity issues.

I did a quick two point calibration with my iDisplayPro for SDR. Looks good overall, although I’m sure a pro calibrator could probably do much better. Going to watch several BDs before giving a more detailed opinion.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was wary of this when i saw the ces videos of the a9g this year. The silver metal stand was reflecting, i though to myself if i put this in a pitch black room and at eye level or lower, any time there is a bright object in the lower part of the screen, the reflection will be noticeable on the silver stand. They could have gone for a matte black stand to curb the reflections, they went for a reflective silver stand which would be distracting in a dark room , unless you place it much higher (i dont mount tv's either). The A9f and A1e of course wont have this reflection issue because there's no stand on the front.

Last edited by Menarini; 05-25-2019 at 10:35 PM.
Menarini is offline  
post #266 of 1367 Old 05-25-2019, 11:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
alettiere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 641
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 332
At eye level, the stand isn’t anymore reflective than the surface of my actual TV stand - which is brown wood.

If you watch letterbox movies, there is no reflection. But in full screen, it’s definitely more noticeable. I am assuming the AF8 was similar.


I don’t think it’s so much that the A9F doesn’t have a stand under it, as it is that you can sit the TV at the very edge of your existing TV stand so the light isn’t going to bounce off any surface.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alettiere is online now  
post #267 of 1367 Old 05-25-2019, 11:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sd13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,701
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1060 Post(s)
Liked: 1027
I had the chance to check out this bad boy in person a few days ago and I must say I'm very very impressed. The richness of the colors is superb. The motion is smooth as butter. The ability to retain the punch in bright colors during bright scenes, the specular highlights, sharpness, upscaling etc. are all stellar. The new remote is fantastic and the new UI is nice and snappy with a great layout. Last but not least, Dolby vision doesn't seem to be crippled & dark like it was on previous Sony's that I had experience with such as the a8f and z9d. It just oozes with quality. Only thing I didn't like was the low profile stand which wouldn't allow for use with a soundbar.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Spizz and bslep like this.

Last edited by sd13; 05-26-2019 at 12:01 AM.
sd13 is online now  
post #268 of 1367 Old 05-26-2019, 12:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Spizz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 3,785
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
Can you explain a little further. Vincent just reviewed the C9 and gave it a best in class award. Curious why you prefer the A9G over the C9?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It will be best in class until he reviews the A9G or Panny GZ2000

Last edited by Spizz; 05-26-2019 at 12:44 AM.
Spizz is online now  
post #269 of 1367 Old 05-26-2019, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bama
Posts: 12,135
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 5931
Quote:
Originally Posted by alettiere View Post
At eye level, the stand isn’t anymore reflective than the surface of my actual TV stand - which is brown wood.

If you watch letterbox movies, there is no reflection. But in full screen, it’s definitely more noticeable. I am assuming the AF8 was similar.


I don’t think it’s so much that the A9F doesn’t have a stand under it, as it is that you can sit the TV at the very edge of your existing TV stand so the light isn’t going to bounce off any surface.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My A8F is similar, I have a black glass top stand. After a little bit I didn't even notice anymore. I like the fact all you see is a screen and no large stand underneath.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F
Oppo UDP-203 / Sony X800M2
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
gadgtfreek is online now  
post #270 of 1367 Old 05-26-2019, 07:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RadTech51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,163
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd13 View Post
I had the chance to check out this bad boy in person a few days ago and I must say I'm very very impressed. The richness of the colors is superb. The motion is smooth as butter. The ability to retain the punch in bright colors during bright scenes, the specular highlights, sharpness, upscaling etc. are all stellar. The new remote is fantastic and the new UI is nice and snappy with a great layout. Last but not least, Dolby vision doesn't seem to be crippled & dark like it was on previous Sony's that I had experience with such as the a8f and z9d. It just oozes with quality. Only thing I didn't like was the low profile stand which wouldn't allow for use with a soundbar.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
This was my assessment as well. 😉

 

Sharp Elite PRO- 70X5FD 
Pioneer Elite VSX- 52 (A/V receiver)
Pioneer Elite BDP3FD (Blu-Ray) Player
Surround sound system: B&W (2) CM8's, (1) CENTER CHANNEL, (2) CM1 BOOKSHELF MONITORS's, (1) ASW10CM ACTIVE SUBWOOFER.
RadTech51 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off