2019 Sony A9G Master Series OLED Owner's Thread - Page 94 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1686Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2791 of 3185 Old 11-19-2019, 06:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mt14942's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Pembroke Pines, Florida
Posts: 2,329
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 810 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
I had DTV for about 10 years until 2015 then I switched to Comcast (Xfinity) because ridiculous high price on DTV service. To my surprise, Xfinity looks much better than DTV. Also, you don't loose connection when is raining. I have Xfinity since Feb 2015 and my TV never looked that good. I also got the 4K/HDR DVR boxes and again, surprisedly they up scale up to 4K very well.
Good to hear a positive review on Comcast since after 21 years of DTV I am switching to Comcast tomorrow. I imagine the quality has a lot to do with the equipment/cabling that they are using in the area you live. I have been doing some comparing between the A9G and the Z9D that's in the bedroom. A lot of running back and forth to see if I discern a difference and I have decided that the A9G is, as some one else said in this forum, a step up, in my opinion. It is not a night and day difference. I said this before to me the picture reminds me of the Pioneer plasma Kuro Elite with a richer textured picture but with a sharper image. I attribute this to the OLED technology and the pure black it outputs which creates greater contrast.

Sony A9G
Oppo UDP-205 4k player
Classe SSP-800 pre/pro
Parasound Halo 5 channel Amp

Last edited by mt14942; 11-20-2019 at 06:58 AM.
mt14942 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2792 of 3185 Old 11-19-2019, 06:44 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
D-Nice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 16,945
Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1976 Post(s)
Liked: 3812
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlstang95 View Post
Next comparison is on Xbox one. To me there is a clear difference and the Xbox seems most accurate with their Dolby vision. Any thoughts.
The xboxone seems more accurate based on what reference? Just you looking at it and getting a feeling you like the brightness or you are doing measurements? Are you doing your observations via a calibrated A9G? DV, just like HDR on these displays, is math derived from SDR. If the SDR base is not 2.2 (of which I have yet to see on any Sony OOTB), accuracy of PQ tracking goes out the window.

But here is a simple fix for anyone that “feels” DV isn’t bright enough for them...... use DV Bright. 3-5 clicks on your remote and done. Simple, isn’t it?
helvetica bold and jrref like this.
D-Nice is offline  
post #2793 of 3185 Old 11-19-2019, 07:13 AM
Member
 
jlstang95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 191
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Uncaliibrated at this time, waiting for Jeff Meir to make it out my way again. Even on uncalibrated set shouldn’t the Dolby vision presentation look the same coming from two different sources on the same input. I feed my Apple TV through my Denon AVR to hdmi 3 on the Sony and the same goes for the Xbox One. To me the Apple TV looks like overall image is too dark. I put on Rogue one not looking to find any of this and watching this in a completely dark room it was hard to see anything it was so dark, so tried the Xbox and that seemed to brighten things up without changing any settings.
I tried Dolby vision bright on the Apple TV and it helped but still darker than the Xbox which was still in dv dark. Maybe it’s just my personal preference. I was just hoping others could see the same to validate.

Sony XBR77A9G
Sony XBR55930e
Denon AVR 6300
jlstang95 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2794 of 3185 Old 11-19-2019, 07:32 AM
Advanced Member
 
Ruppgu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 726
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 556
All this DV talk is making me want to investigate my strange issue with DV where my movie bars are not true black despite being professionally calibrated.

I've checked the black level on SD and HDR 10 and 50 was the correct setting. Never could find a dolby vision pattern. Would it be okay to force the TV into dolby vision mode in the settings and view the test pattern?

TV: Sony A9G 77" Oled & LG B7A 65" Oled
AVR: Denon AVRX4300H
F/L: Emotiva Airmotiv T2, Center: Emotiva Airmotiv C2, Surround: Emotiva Airmotiv B1 x4, Atmos: Elac A4 x4, Subwoofer: PSA V1811, Actuator: Crowson x2
4k Player: Panasonic UB 820
Ruppgu is offline  
post #2795 of 3185 Old 11-19-2019, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: New York
Posts: 5,594
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4603 Post(s)
Liked: 5593
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlstang95 View Post
Uncaliibrated at this time, waiting for Jeff Meir to make it out my way again. Even on uncalibrated set shouldn’t the Dolby vision presentation look the same coming from two different sources on the same input. I feed my Apple TV through my Denon AVR to hdmi 3 on the Sony and the same goes for the Xbox One. To me the Apple TV looks like overall image is too dark. I put on Rogue one not looking to find any of this and watching this in a completely dark room it was hard to see anything it was so dark, so tried the Xbox and that seemed to brighten things up without changing any settings.
I tried Dolby vision bright on the Apple TV and it helped but still darker than the Xbox which was still in dv dark. Maybe it’s just my personal preference. I was just hoping others could see the same to validate.
Right, even if you have an uncalibrated TV, DV should look the same brightness, assuming the signal is the same, from multiple devices. D-Nice and I discussed this last night. We very rarely see a Sony where the SDR gamma is correct and therefore the HDR and DV calculated from the SDR settings, in this case, will not be correct. Once you calibrate SDR correctly then HDR and DV should be correct and you should get the brightest and most correct DV picture. That said if you have one device for HDR and DV and you are saying DV is too dark, then you need to calibrate the set and then make the judgement but whatever brightness you get, that's the way the set is designed to display it. In SD13's case he's comparing two different DV sources and seeing a difference which shouldn't be.

We have compared, side by side DV content on an A9G and a C9, two different DV formats, and regardless what any reviewer's opinion is, there is not that much difference between the two sets. Meaning the C9 DV is NOT significantly brighter than the A9G after DV calibration especially if you turn on ACE to Low in the A9Gs DV PM. Remember, ootb, the C9's DV is brighter because it's not following PQ correctly.

I know this is a little confusing but at the end of the day, calibrated or not, DV is a Dark picture mode and if you want it brighter, as D-Nice suggests just use DV Bright PM. I hope this helps.
lsorensen and Sioomagates like this.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified
jrref is offline  
post #2796 of 3185 Old 11-19-2019, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member
 
Vidop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 816
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
If you are talking about the “Up time” on “Status” that is NOT the panel hours, that is the time the network has been up. AFIK, to know the hours of the panel on Sony TVs you have to go into the service menu.

Thank you for that information. Obviously, I misunderstood what "Up Time" referred to. And, yes, you do have to access the service menu for the panel hours.
Vidop is offline  
post #2797 of 3185 Old 11-19-2019, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member
 
llep64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 952
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Pls help!! Has anyone here come from a LG C9 77 ?? I’m so torn between these sets 😁😁. I really like that the LG would be better for HDR more Nits , but motion is an issue for me... it will replace a Samsung js9500
llep64 is offline  
post #2798 of 3185 Old 11-19-2019, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: New York
Posts: 5,594
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4603 Post(s)
Liked: 5593
Quote:
Originally Posted by llep64 View Post
Pls help!! Has anyone here come from a LG C9 77 ?? I’m so torn between these sets 😁😁. I really like that the LG would be better for HDR more Nits , but motion is an issue for me... it will replace a Samsung js9500
If motion is an issue for you stick with the Sony.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified
jrref is offline  
post #2799 of 3185 Old 11-19-2019, 03:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,615
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
Right, even if you have an uncalibrated TV, DV should look the same brightness, assuming the signal is the same, from multiple devices. D-Nice and I discussed this last night. We very rarely see a Sony where the SDR gamma is correct and therefore the HDR and DV calculated from the SDR settings, in this case, will not be correct. Once you calibrate SDR correctly then HDR and DV should be correct and you should get the brightest and most correct DV picture. That said if you have one device for HDR and DV and you are saying DV is too dark, then you need to calibrate the set and then make the judgement but whatever brightness you get, that's the way the set is designed to display it. In SD13's case he's comparing two different DV sources and seeing a difference which shouldn't be.

We have compared, side by side DV content on an A9G and a C9, two different DV formats, and regardless what any reviewer's opinion is, there is not that much difference between the two sets. Meaning the C9 DV is NOT significantly brighter than the A9G after DV calibration especially if you turn on ACE to Low in the A9Gs DV PM. Remember, ootb, the C9's DV is brighter because it's not following PQ correctly.

I know this is a little confusing but at the end of the day, calibrated or not, DV is a Dark picture mode and if you want it brighter, as D-Nice suggests just use DV Bright PM. I hope this helps.
That is good to hear as the DV issues has been a big negative to me, but D-Nice will be calibrating my Sunday (77A9G) that will arrive Saturday once it has enough hours on it. So If I read this right then once calibrated the differences between a C9 and A9G in HDR and DV become almost non-existent when it comes to brightness? Thus the Sony lower peak brightness becomes less of if not a non-issue?

My C7 was calibrated by D-Nice almost 2 years ago and I am still amazed at the PQ and overall presentation on all formats, SDR, HDR, DV. It just always looks amazing.

Sony 77A9G (Also XBR65X900E and XBR55X900E)
Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-203
Klipsch RP-280F / RC-62ii / RP-140SA / RS-35 / RS-25
Dual PSA V1800s
kluken is online now  
post #2800 of 3185 Old 11-19-2019, 03:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,615
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by llep64 View Post
Pls help!! Has anyone here come from a LG C9 77 ?? I’m so torn between these sets 😁😁. I really like that the LG would be better for HDR more Nits , but motion is an issue for me... it will replace a Samsung js9500
I am anal and OCD on these things and went back and forth as I have a 65C7 that D-Nice calibrated and it looks amazing. Based on what I have researched and seen reported by D-Nice and jrref I decided to do the Sony. I had both a 77 C9 and A9G on order and went Saturday and cancelled the C9. I woudl say if you are getting the set calibrated then the difference sare so small not to worry. If you plan on not calibrating it then maybe the C9 unless motion is huge deal to you. Also if you are not paying one of these guys to do it the C9 with about $00 gets you Calman Home and a i1 meter and you can calibrate it yourself any time and get better than factory results. I am fortunate, I have had some of the top calibrators do my TVs. Back in 2000's I used Eliab (did my RPTVs and Plasmas) until he moved on and then Chad-B and then D-Nice. These guys work wonders not matter how much better the out of box calibration is on modern TVs if you are a critical viewer their prices are well worth it.

I spent probably 90 minute in BB again this past weekend going back and forth to the LG and Sony and would try different picture modes and the Sony really gets bright. In real world demos int he store i was hard pressed to look at the Sony and say it looked dimmer than anything else.

My take away is both sets are great, each has pros and cons. LG is targeted more for the mainstream consumer with making their HDR more "appealing' to more people while the Sony is their master series where their focus is keeping the picture true to the original editors intent. And every comparison I have seen says unless you put the 2 side by side you would be hard pressed to complain about either one.

Sony 77A9G (Also XBR65X900E and XBR55X900E)
Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-203
Klipsch RP-280F / RC-62ii / RP-140SA / RS-35 / RS-25
Dual PSA V1800s
kluken is online now  
post #2801 of 3185 Old 11-19-2019, 05:37 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
D-Nice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 16,945
Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1976 Post(s)
Liked: 3812
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlstang95 View Post
Uncaliibrated at this time, waiting for Jeff Meir to make it out my way again. Even on uncalibrated set shouldn’t the Dolby vision presentation look the same coming from two different sources on the same input. I feed my Apple TV through my Denon AVR to hdmi 3 on the Sony and the same goes for the Xbox One. To me the Apple TV looks like overall image is too dark. I put on Rogue one not looking to find any of this and watching this in a completely dark room it was hard to see anything it was so dark, so tried the Xbox and that seemed to brighten things up without changing any settings.
I tried Dolby vision bright on the Apple TV and it helped but still darker than the Xbox which was still in dv dark. Maybe it’s just my personal preference. I was just hoping others could see the same to validate.
I’ve done the Rogue One (one of my favorite movies BTW) comparison between my A9G, A1E and C9. No differences in brightness except for panel variance with peak brightness.... even then you really have to look for the difference with the image paused. Have you tried connecting your source equipment directly to your TV, bypassing the Denon?
D-Nice is offline  
post #2802 of 3185 Old 11-19-2019, 05:41 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
D-Nice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 16,945
Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1976 Post(s)
Liked: 3812
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluken View Post
That is good to hear as the DV issues has been a big negative to me, but D-Nice will be calibrating my Sunday (77A9G) that will arrive Saturday once it has enough hours on it. So If I read this right then once calibrated the differences between a C9 and A9G in HDR and DV become almost non-existent when it comes to brightness? Thus the Sony lower peak brightness becomes less of if not a non-issue?
Correct
D-Nice is offline  
post #2803 of 3185 Old 11-19-2019, 06:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,615
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post
Correct
Looking forward to seeing you in a couple of months to calibrate my Sony.
D-Nice likes this.

Sony 77A9G (Also XBR65X900E and XBR55X900E)
Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-203
Klipsch RP-280F / RC-62ii / RP-140SA / RS-35 / RS-25
Dual PSA V1800s
kluken is online now  
post #2804 of 3185 Old 11-19-2019, 06:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: New York
Posts: 5,594
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4603 Post(s)
Liked: 5593
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluken View Post
That is good to hear as the DV issues has been a big negative to me, but D-Nice will be calibrating my Sunday (77A9G) that will arrive Saturday once it has enough hours on it. So If I read this right then once calibrated the differences between a C9 and A9G in HDR and DV become almost non-existent when it comes to brightness? Thus the Sony lower peak brightness becomes less of if not a non-issue?

My C7 was calibrated by D-Nice almost 2 years ago and I am still amazed at the PQ and overall presentation on all formats, SDR, HDR, DV. It just always looks amazing.
D-Nice will do a great job calibrating your set to it's best.
Keenan and D-Nice like this.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified
jrref is offline  
post #2805 of 3185 Old 11-19-2019, 06:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Adamd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,037
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1151 Post(s)
Liked: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by llep64 View Post
Pls help!! Has anyone here come from a LG C9 77 ?? I’m so torn between these sets 😁😁. I really like that the LG would be better for HDR more Nits , but motion is an issue for me... it will replace a Samsung js9500
I had the 77c8 and I like the A9g way more. I do not see any difference in brightness. I like the hdr better on the Sony too. Lg has Dynamic tone mapping and when scenes change you can see the picture dim or brighten. Near black scenes are handled much better too.
Adamd is offline  
post #2806 of 3185 Old 11-19-2019, 07:22 PM
Member
 
jlstang95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 191
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post
I’ve done the Rogue One (one of my favorite movies BTW) comparison between my A9G, A1E and C9. No differences in brightness except for panel variance with peak brightness.... even then you really have to look for the difference with the image paused. Have you tried connecting your source equipment directly to your TV, bypassing the Denon?
I just tried bypassing the denon and could not tell a difference. I tried again with the ATV versus the Xbox one through the denon and at 1 minute 30 Jyn’s robe looks just a teeny tiny bit brighter with the Xbox. Maybe it’s just me. I am looking forward to a calibration so I can have a trained eye correct this.

Sony XBR77A9G
Sony XBR55930e
Denon AVR 6300
jlstang95 is offline  
post #2807 of 3185 Old 11-19-2019, 11:31 PM
Member
 
Rysa_105's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 151
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlstang95 View Post
I just tried bypassing the denon and could not tell a difference. I tried again with the ATV versus the Xbox one through the denon and at 1 minute 30 Jyn’s robe looks just a teeny tiny bit brighter with the Xbox. Maybe it’s just me. I am looking forward to a calibration so I can have a trained eye correct this.
I think you are pointing out the same complaint as the poster sd13 was doing some pages back. That dolby vision from apple tv looks dark on your sony oled while from other source, your xbox one it doesn't look dark. This was the same issue for sd13, that his DV from apple tv looks dark but other sources like blu ray player or the internal apps doesn't look dark with DV. And this complaint is not new, I have read it before on reddit . And something else to note, this complaint is not limited to sony oled, but sony lcd's too, seen person complaining that his X950G LCD looks darker with DV when using apple tv but internal apps look fine with DV. With other brand tv's, apple tv don't seem to have the issue. I think it's either a bug in apple tv or in sony's player led dolby vision implementation that's causing the issue. Your easiest solution until there is a fix is to continue use your xbox one for DV streaming or better yet use the internal apps, the internal apps on sony work quite well.
sd13, jrref and Cam1977 like this.
Rysa_105 is offline  
post #2808 of 3185 Old 11-20-2019, 02:16 AM
Newbie
 
maxout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post
I’ve done the Rogue One (one of my favorite movies BTW) comparison between my A9G, A1E and C9. No differences in brightness except for panel variance with peak brightness.... even then you really have to look for the difference with the image paused. Have you tried connecting your source equipment directly to your TV, bypassing the Denon?
I have the same problem with DV + ATV and many others from the German Hi-fi Forum also confirm this.Netflix DV from the Apple TV is darker than from the internal Netflix app (Sony AF9), X-Box One or the new Shield. It doesn't matter if the ATV is connected directly to the TV or via an AVR.
So it's either a general ATV problem, or something is wrong with the Netflix App on the ATV.
At least that is my observation.
sd13 and Cam1977 like this.
maxout is offline  
post #2809 of 3185 Old 11-20-2019, 02:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sd13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,813
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1180 Post(s)
Liked: 1103
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlstang95 View Post
To add more fuel to the dark Dolby vision issue. Please watch the first minute and 30 seconds of rogue one on Apple TV Dolby vision and then watch on the native Sony app and tell me what you see.


I see an image that is literally ten times brighter on the Xbox as opposed to the Apple TV which is downright dreary looking in DV.
Cam1977 likes this.
sd13 is online now  
post #2810 of 3185 Old 11-20-2019, 02:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
sd13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,813
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1180 Post(s)
Liked: 1103
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxout View Post
I have the same problem with DV + ATV and many others from the German Hi-fi Forum also confirm this.Netflix DV from the Apple TV is darker than from the internal Netflix app (Sony AF9), X-Box One or the new Shield. It doesn't matter if the ATV is connected directly to the TV or via an AVR.

So it's either a general ATV problem, or something is wrong with the Netflix App on the ATV.

At least that is my observation.


It’s not only Netflix. All DV on Apple TV looks like that, only with SONY TVs unfortunately.
Cam1977 likes this.
sd13 is online now  
post #2811 of 3185 Old 11-20-2019, 05:20 AM
Member
 
box4m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlstang95 View Post
To add more fuel to the dark Dolby vision issue. Please watch the first minute and 30 seconds of rogue one on Apple TV Dolby vision and then watch on the native Sony app and tell me what you see.
What do you mean with "sony native app"?
box4m is offline  
post #2812 of 3185 Old 11-20-2019, 05:22 AM
Member
 
box4m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd13 View Post
I see an image that is literally ten times brighter on the Xbox as opposed to the Apple TV which is downright dreary looking in DV.
How do you watch dolby vision on the xbox?
I never owned one, can it play digital files from network share? Or physical media you mean?
box4m is offline  
post #2813 of 3185 Old 11-20-2019, 05:39 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
BillP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: PA
Posts: 14,777
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by box4m View Post
What do you mean with "sony native app"?
If you look at the A9G remote, there is a Netflix button. The display has an internal Netflix app, which works great.
There is clearly a problem with ATV and Sony. The simple solutions are to stop using ATV for DV material, or use DV Bright instead of DV Dark. I would also complain to BOTH Apple and Sony since it seems to be an issue with both working together. Chromecast, Roku, and internal apps work fine.

Sony A9G, Oppo 205, Parasound JC2, Parasound A21, Sonus Faber Olympica IIIs
BillP is offline  
post #2814 of 3185 Old 11-20-2019, 05:44 AM
Member
 
box4m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post
If you look at the A9G remote, there is a Netflix button. The display has an internal Netflix app, which works great.
There is clearly a problem with ATV and Sony. The simple solutions are to stop using ATV for DV material, or use DV Bright instead of DV Dark. I would also complain to BOTH Apple and Sony since it seems to be an issue with both working together. Chromecast, Roku, and internal apps work fine.
Yeah theres clearly a problem. Netflix looks alot better i noticed it aswell. Didnt know you meant netflix app
box4m is offline  
post #2815 of 3185 Old 11-20-2019, 08:29 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Hello everyone, just got my 77" A9G delivered yesterday and i am having issues with my Audioquest Carbon and Cinnamon HDMI cables. No pictures out of my Oppo-205 and cannot output dolby vision out of my appletv 4k. After i changed the cables to some generic ones and it worked. Anyone has issues with Audioquest HDMIs?

Also, i've been reading this tread but have not encounter anyone posting some picture settings that give the optimum picture for the set?

Thanks,

Cuki

Sony XBR-65A1E
Panasonic PC65VT50 (dead by lightning, i think)
OPPO UDP-205
Sony XBR-77A9G (delivered 11/19/2019)
cukis350 is offline  
post #2816 of 3185 Old 11-20-2019, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mt14942's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Pembroke Pines, Florida
Posts: 2,329
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 810 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt14942 View Post
Good to hear a positive review on Comcast since after 21 years of DTV I am switching to Comcast tomorrow. I imagine the quality has a lot to do with the equipment/cabling that they are using in the area you live. I have been doing some comparing between the A9G and the Z9D that's in the bedroom. A lot of running back and forth to see if I discern a difference and I have decided that the A9G is, as some one else said in this forum, a step up, in my opinion. It is not a night and day difference. I said this before to me the picture reminds me of the Pioneer plasma Kuro Elite with a richer textured picture but with a sharper image. I attribute this to the OLED technology and the pure black it outputs which creates greater contrast.
Just to add to above. I also have an OTA antennae and I forgot how good a picture it produces One thing I noticed when in the Channel Mode the three picture modes I use are now together Standard followed by Cinema and than Custom picture Mode. This is more convenient than the Direct TV or probably now with the Comcast Cable input, where you have Game, Graphics and Photo picture modes in between the Cinema Picture Mode and the Custom picture mode. Is there anyway to switch the Picture Mode inputs to be in the same order as the Channel Mode? I searched for away but I'm guessing not.

Sony A9G
Oppo UDP-205 4k player
Classe SSP-800 pre/pro
Parasound Halo 5 channel Amp
mt14942 is offline  
post #2817 of 3185 Old 11-20-2019, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lsorensen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,707
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1475 Post(s)
Liked: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by cukis350 View Post
Hello everyone, just got my 77" A9G delivered yesterday and i am having issues with my Audioquest Carbon and Cinnamon HDMI cables. No pictures out of my Oppo-205 and cannot output dolby vision out of my appletv 4k. After i changed the cables to some generic ones and it worked. Anyone has issues with Audioquest HDMIs?

Also, i've been reading this tread but have not encounter anyone posting some picture settings that give the optimum picture for the set?

Thanks,

Cuki
Generally sticking with certified cables seems to work. Audioquest cables are not certified as far as I can tell. They make lots of claims, but don't appear to have any actual independent validation that they do what they claim. After all if they did work perfectly, why didn't they get them certified? Monoprice has no problem getting their $5 cables certified and those work so it can't be a cost issue.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
lsorensen is offline  
post #2818 of 3185 Old 11-20-2019, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 24,914
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6847 Post(s)
Liked: 6843
Quote:
Originally Posted by llep64 View Post
Pls help!! Has anyone here come from a LG C9 77 ?? I’m so torn between these sets. I really like that the LG would be better for HDR more Nits , but motion is an issue for me... it will replace a Samsung js9500
Up to you budy, whats more important to you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cukis350 View Post
Hello everyone, just got my 77" A9G delivered yesterday and i am having issues with my Audioquest Carbon and Cinnamon HDMI cables. No pictures out of my Oppo-205 and cannot output dolby vision out of my appletv 4k. After i changed the cables to some generic ones and it worked. Anyone has issues with Audioquest HDMIs?

Also, i've been reading this tread but have not encounter anyone posting some picture settings that give the optimum picture for the set?
I'll tell you if $5 cables like the cables below work and the AudioQuest cables do not, I would be writing a letter asking for my cash back.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsorensen View Post
Generally sticking with certified cables seems to work. Audioquest cables are not certified as far as I can tell. They make lots of claims, but don't appear to have any actual independent validation that they do what they claim. After all if they did work perfectly, why didn't they get them certified? Monoprice has no problem getting their $5 cables certified and those work so it can't be a cost issue.
The badge below.........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HDMI.png
Views:	29
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	2643370  
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
post #2819 of 3185 Old 11-20-2019, 08:58 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Venezuela
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsorensen View Post
Generally sticking with certified cables seems to work. Audioquest cables are not certified as far as I can tell. They make lots of claims, but don't appear to have any actual independent validation that they do what they claim. After all if they did work perfectly, why didn't they get them certified? Monoprice has no problem getting their $5 cables certified and those work so it can't be a cost issue.
Can confirm, audioquest marketing is just a sad way to get people to part with their money. Though gold tips and martian circuitry sound nice 99% of people would likely not notice and are likely not plugging those types of premium cables into anything worth the time. Unless you have a pristine setup of pre/pro etc. and martin logans or some such, just stick to monoprice certified cables.
djpalacios91 is offline  
post #2820 of 3185 Old 11-20-2019, 10:07 AM
Member
 
jlstang95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 191
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysa_105 View Post
I think you are pointing out the same complaint as the poster sd13 was doing some pages back. That dolby vision from apple tv looks dark on your sony oled while from other source, your xbox one it doesn't look dark. This was the same issue for sd13, that his DV from apple tv looks dark but other sources like blu ray player or the internal apps doesn't look dark with DV. And this complaint is not new, I have read it before on reddit . And something else to note, this complaint is not limited to sony oled, but sony lcd's too, seen person complaining that his X950G LCD looks darker with DV when using apple tv but internal apps look fine with DV. With other brand tv's, apple tv don't seem to have the issue. I think it's either a bug in apple tv or in sony's player led dolby vision implementation that's causing the issue. Your easiest solution until there is a fix is to continue use your xbox one for DV streaming or better yet use the internal apps, the internal apps on sony work quite well.
Thanks for the comments. I plan to use the XBOX for any Disney+ Dolby Vision viewing. In my non professional opinion, I have also found that the Netflix native sony app yields the best Dolby Vision results compared to the ATV or XBOX, with the caveat not using the calibrated for netflix mode.

I hope either Sony or Apple figure out their DV implementation.

Sony XBR77A9G
Sony XBR55930e
Denon AVR 6300
jlstang95 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off