AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   OLED Technology and Flat Panels General (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/)
-   -   2019 Sony A9G Master Series OLED Owner's Thread (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/3067666-2019-sony-a9g-master-series-oled-owners-thread.html)

gadgtfreek 05-15-2019 06:55 AM

2019 Sony A9G Master Series OLED Owner's Thread
 
My 65" is on order with VE, including the additional break-in and calibration package. Hope to have it in 2-3 weeks, and it will be going into a new home with a dedicated HT room. The room is on the smaller side, so I opted for a 65" instead of the 77" because the view distance is about 7 feet. My current A8F will serve duties in the "living room".

https://www.sony.com/image/3be1da17b...5F9&bgc=F1F5F9

https://www.sony.com/image/708567c56...5F9&bgc=F1F5F9

https://www.sony.com/image/148a7afdc...5F9&bgc=F1F5F9

Product Page:
https://www.sony.com/electronics/tel...xbr-a9g-series

Specs Page:
https://www.sony.com/electronics/tel...specifications

Support Page:
https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup...oid-/xbr-65a9g

Please keep comparison posts to a minimum, or ask in these threads:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...ds-2019-a.html

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...-sony-a9g.html

Thread for uniformity comparisons and recommendations:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...ignetting.html







Jrref's comments when calibrating first batch at Value Electronics:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post58115250
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post58117064
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post58115120
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post58119408

Flatpanelshd Review:
https://www.flatpanelshd.com/review....&id=1559897568

Rtings Review:
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/a9g-oled

2019 Value Electronics Shootout Results:
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...e4d3d37e64.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...5cadc6aa45.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...ce6a89245c.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...c588369579.jpg

RadTech51 05-15-2019 09:17 AM

I think this thread may be a little premature, until someone actually has the TV in their possession what’s the point of it? :confused:

spear 05-15-2019 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RadTech51 (Post 58051536)
I think this thread may be a little premature, until someone actually has the TV in their possession what’s the point of it? :confused:

Eh, it's not unusual to start an owner's thread after placing an order. At least the first post has useful information. That's better than many owners' threads here. Many thread starters aren't interested in maintaining the first post (eg. adding links to specs, reviews, firmware, settings, issues, etc.) which would do a lot to avoid repetitive questions.

gadgtfreek 05-15-2019 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RadTech51 (Post 58051536)
I think this thread may be a little premature, until someone actually has the TV in their possession what’s the point of it? :confused:

Not sure where you have been at AVS because this isn't new. Once ordered it gives a place for owners to discuss deliveries and the product instead of weeding through comparison threads where info is posted and then lost because every other post is "what about the LG C*"

People have orders in, time to start compiling reviews and data in a owners thread. @jrref should have some calibration and first impressions soon too, to post here. I'd rather that data be in the owner's thread and not in a debate thread.

I'll update the first post as needed for sure. If someone would like anything added just message me.

Diesel Pro 05-15-2019 12:48 PM

My 75 Z9F sustained a panel impact and is going to need to be replaced. I liked the Z9 enough, but maybe a bit underwhelmed and the wide angel film coating gave wonky reflection waves. I had considered the A9F but wanted the larger size. Am I understanding correctly that this is pretty much a A9F without the kick stand? Understanding that the change necessitated some audio driver changes as well, but the panel itself should follow the A9F reviews? I suppose the 77 will be "all new" correct? I'm in a bright room. I hate to buy before an item is proven.

gadgtfreek 05-15-2019 01:13 PM

Not sure on the 77" panel, Id assume it uses the 2019 LG 77" panel or whatever they are putting out to Sony. From my reading, I think saying this is an A9F with an A8F stand is mostly correct.

New_to_4K 05-15-2019 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gadgtfreek (Post 58052742)
Not sure on the 77" panel, Id assume it uses the 2019 LG 77" panel or whatever they are putting out to Sony. From my reading, I think saying this is an A9F with an A8F stand is mostly correct.

Yes, correct assumption.

New_to_4K 05-15-2019 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diesel Pro (Post 58052622)
My 75 Z9F sustained a panel impact and is going to need to be replaced. I liked the Z9 enough, but maybe a bit underwhelmed and the wide angel film coating gave wonky reflection waves. I had considered the A9F but wanted the larger size. Am I understanding correctly that this is pretty much a A9F without the kick stand? Understanding that the change necessitated some audio driver changes as well, but the panel itself should follow the A9F reviews? I suppose the 77 will be "all new" correct? I'm in a bright room. I hate to buy before an item is proven.

This one in bright room may have reflection like the Z9F....

Diesel Pro 05-15-2019 01:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by New_to_4K (Post 58052768)
This one in bright room may have reflection like the Z9F....


Instead of having a reflection of the light source itself, the Z9F shows a wide band wavy ribbon reflection across the screen. I have to be very careful about what lights I have on. Unfortunately she likes to read while the TV is on. We are on opposite sides of the room so the lighting that she needs affects me.


Don't want to get too far off in the weeds, but here is an extreme example. I shot this standing at a point that it was worst and shows lots of the kitchen etc.

jrref 05-15-2019 01:42 PM

There are several burning in at VE so i'll have a change to look at them on Friday. I'll probably post some calibration data next week when I start calibrating them. According to Portrait Display, CalMAN works on these sets identical to the A9F.

RadTech51 05-15-2019 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gadgtfreek (Post 58052294)
Not sure where you have been at AVS because this isn't new. Once ordered it gives a place for owners to discuss deliveries and the product instead of weeding through comparison threads where info is posted and then lost because every other post is "what about the LG C*"

People have orders in, time to start compiling reviews and data in a owners thread. @jrref should have some calibration and first impressions soon too, to post here. I'd rather that data be in the owner's thread and not in a debate thread.

I'll update the first post as needed for sure. If someone would like anything added just message me.

Actually from what I recall people usually started an owners thread when “hint” you actually own the display and have something to say about it. I’ve actually started one myself way back in 2011 I think on the Sharp Elite Pro, posted pictures of it etc. Until someone actually owns the display and can report on it all this is just going to be a continuation of the A9G thread, nothing more. :cool:

I’m not saying it’s wrong or anything just stating the logic here. But with that said “cool we now have an owners thread” :D We can probably discontinue the other one now. ;)

RadTech51 05-15-2019 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spear (Post 58052200)
Eh, it's not unusual to start an owner's thread after placing an order. At least the first post has useful information. That's better than many owners' threads here. Many thread starters aren't interested in maintaining the first post (eg. adding links to specs, reviews, firmware, settings, issues, etc.) which would do a lot to avoid repetitive questions.

That’s no problem I suppose times have changed some. Cool we now have an owners thread let’s hope someone gets an A9G soon so we can start talking about it. :D

Menarini 05-15-2019 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrref (Post 58052890)
There are several burning in at VE so i'll have a change to look at them on Friday. I'll probably post some calibration data next week when I start calibrating them. According to Portrait Display, CalMAN works on these sets identical to the A9F.

Uhh why do you need to 'burn in' oleds (dont they do that by themselves when you watch news channels on them all day long), or are you using that term loosely to mean the new a9g's at your store are switched on and running random content so you rack up 100 or so hours on them before you begin calibrating them?

bluemoon737 05-15-2019 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrref (Post 58052890)
There are several burning in at VE so i'll have a change to look at them on Friday. I'll probably post some calibration data next week when I start calibrating them. According to Portrait Display, CalMAN works on these sets identical to the A9F.

Be careful of your terminology in these OLED threads. ;)

bluemoon737 05-15-2019 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Menarini (Post 58053152)
Uhh why do you need to 'burn in' oleds (dont they do that by themselves when you watch news channels on them all day long), or are you using that term loosely to mean the new a9g's at your store are switched on and running random content so you rack up 100 or so hours on them before you begin calibrating them?

Yes, "burning in" is common terminology to describe running brand new electronic devices in an attempt to identify any "infant mortality".

RadTech51 05-15-2019 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Menarini (Post 58053152)
Uhh why do you need to 'burn in' oleds (dont they do that by themselves when you watch news channels on them all day long), or are you using that term loosely to mean the new a9g's at your store are switched on and running random content so you rack up 100 or so hours on them before you begin calibrating them?

I’d be careful when watching the news channels all day long to achieve this as some news channels have static logos on the screen and you may end up with some image retention or screen burn even though it’s been greatly reduced. To answer your question though it’s a good idea to just watch as much normal content on your new display as you can for about 2-3 weeks or so before your first calibration. I think most professional calibrators will tell you this, or you can just run a 24hr color slide show before the calibration. ;)

gadgtfreek 05-15-2019 03:32 PM

You put 100-200 hours on one before you calibrate them and ship out to customers... It has several functions like checking for banding, allowing some compensation cycles to run, allowing any white balance type shifts to happen before you calibrate. Some displays have a decent shift not long after use, so if you calibrated it with 3 hours and shipped it out, it may shift sooner than later.

I have had OLED's calibrated by jrref at VE tested at 1000 hours, and they are still spot on. That's the benefit of their inspection and calibration. It shows up tested and ready to race, with little or no banding (in my experience).

Menarini 05-15-2019 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gadgtfreek (Post 58053380)
You put 100-200 hours on one before you calibrate them and ship out to customers... It has several functions like checking for banding, allowing some compensation cycles to run, allowing any white balance type shifts to happen before you calibrate. Some displays have a decent shift not long after use, so if you calibrated it with 3 hours and shipped it out, it may shift sooner than later.

I have had OLED's calibrated by jrref at VE tested at 1000 hours, and they are still spot on. That's the benefit of their inspection and calibration. It shows up tested and ready to race, with little or no banding (in my experience).

Nothing that people who follow oleds dont know, it was the burn in part that was picked upon, those words should be considered taboo and ill-suited to use to describe racking up hours, since they have a specific meaning on emissive technology and the lcd brigade runs off with it using it as fodder.

Just curious about something else- when you buy an oled this way, inspected and calibrated, how much more does it end up costing than buying NIB from a retail store?

gadgtfreek 05-15-2019 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Menarini (Post 58053760)
Nothing that people who follow oleds dont know, it was the burn in part that was picked upon, those words should be considered taboo and ill-suited to use to describe racking up hours, since they have a specific meaning on emissive technology and the lcd brigade runs off with it using it as fodder.

Just curious about something else- when you buy an oled this way, inspected and calibrated, how much more does it end up costing than buying NIB from a retail store?

Less. No taxes, less up front price, so even with calibration you pay less.

As far as burn in, it is an electrical term first, and FUD term second. So if any one runs with it they aren’t very smart. Many people around here don’t even understand the difference between IR and screen “burn in” anyways.

jrref 05-15-2019 06:59 PM


alettiere 05-15-2019 09:11 PM

I always preferred “break in.”

The term “burn in” on any self emissive forum is going to give people anxiety [emoji846]


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WOLVERNOLE 05-15-2019 09:36 PM

Go Noles !!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by gadgtfreek (Post 58052294)
Not sure where you have been at AVS because this isn't new. Once ordered it gives a place for owners to discuss deliveries and the product instead of weeding through comparison threads where info is posted and then lost because every other post is "what about the LG C*"

People have orders in, time to start compiling reviews and data in a owners thread. @jrref should have some calibration and first impressions soon too, to post here. I'd rather that data be in the owner's thread and not in a debate thread.

I'll update the first post as needed for sure. If someone would like anything added just message me.

Outstanding ! Go Noles !

ferro 05-16-2019 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spear (Post 58052200)
Eh, it's not unusual to start an owner's thread after placing an order.

It's not unusual, but it's also not very useful. There already is an A9G thread with speculation and previews. These threads will have the same discussions (as you can already see) for weeks until there is an actual owner.

OooAhh 05-16-2019 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferro (Post 58055078)
It's not unusual, but it's also not very useful. There already is an A9G thread with speculation and previews. These threads will have the same discussions (as you can already see) for weeks until there is an actual owner.

The A9G are out there, however, it appears that video geeks that use microscope to critique and have the time to dwell on every web comment are still waiting.
We received our 55" A9G from ABT yesterday. This set replaced bedroom TV (dark - nighttime viewing). Initial settings adjustments were quick to match/improvement over calibrated Sharp Aquos that was 5 times the $ when new. Super improvements with 1080 from cable converter, unbelievable sound without any visible speakers, 4K demo files from thumb drive are fabulous. I have not seen anything as good in BestBuy demo rooms.

gadgtfreek 05-16-2019 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferro (Post 58055078)
It's not unusual, but it's also not very useful. There already is an A9G thread with speculation and previews. These threads will have the same discussions (as you can already see) for weeks until there is an actual owner.

This is me caring, can you see my face? And we already have at least one owner in possession here...

ferro 05-16-2019 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OooAhh (Post 58055230)
We received our 55" A9G from ABT yesterday.

In that case this owner's thread is excellently timed!

Menarini 05-16-2019 05:42 AM

One of the reasons sony is offering an a9g model when the a9f has only been on the market for about 8 months is to give a better option to people who wall mount their tv's. The a9f with the easel stand left a noticeable gap when mounting it and did not look all that good when hung on a wall, the a9g allows for close wall mounting. Sony is selling a separate wall mount bracket (SU-WL850) specifically for the A9G, that allows almost gapless wall mounting as well as some swivel.

zolk 05-16-2019 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Menarini (Post 58055308)
Sony is selling a separate wall mount bracket (SU-WL850) specifically for the A9G, that allows almost gapless wall mounting as well as some swivel.

US model number is SU-WL855. I have that arriving today from Amazon (the only place that seems to have them in stock currently) ahead of the A9G delivery from Abt tomorrow.

alettiere 05-16-2019 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OooAhh (Post 58055230)
The A9G are out there, however, it appears that video geeks that use microscope to critique and have the time to dwell on every web comment are still waiting.
We received our 55" A9G from ABT yesterday. This set replaced bedroom TV (dark - nighttime viewing). Initial settings adjustments were quick to match/improvement over calibrated Sharp Aquos that was 5 times the $ when new. Super improvements with 1080 from cable converter, unbelievable sound without any visible speakers, 4K demo files from thumb drive are fabulous. I have not seen anything as good in BestBuy demo rooms.

We need pics!

guitarguy316 05-16-2019 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OooAhh (Post 58055230)
The A9G are out there, however, it appears that video geeks that use microscope to critique and have the time to dwell on every web comment are still waiting.
We received our 55" A9G from ABT yesterday. This set replaced bedroom TV (dark - nighttime viewing). Initial settings adjustments were quick to match/improvement over calibrated Sharp Aquos that was 5 times the $ when new. Super improvements with 1080 from cable converter, unbelievable sound without any visible speakers, 4K demo files from thumb drive are fabulous. I have not seen anything as good in BestBuy demo rooms.

Any comments on tinted screen? banding?


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.