• 1 Post By JD23

post #1 of 15 Old 05-15-2019, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked: 295
this lg policy befuddles me

W series oleds, they price them astronomically, cost more than twice of a C series, yet you dont get any picture improvements. When you are paying that much more, you should expect some improvements. What do you get other than proclaiming "this looks much prettier when hung on the wall" and who in their right mind would pay so much more for simply looks? Do these really sell in any sizable numbers, bringing up the older W series threads, 2018 and earlier, it seems these threads dont even rack up a thousand posts, which is one evidence that these dont really sell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-15-2019, 06:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 198
The W series is also missing HDMI 2.1, correct?
post #3 of 15 Old 05-15-2019, 06:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1930 Post(s)
Liked: 2056
Well heeled, style conscious people do. Same people will buy the roll up OLED in a box. These people most like don't give a crap about posting on a forum...lol.
dfa973 likes this.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL T/9i | PS Audio DirectStream Junior | Furman IT-Reference 15i | Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | roon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 05-17-2019, 06:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 229
It's a high-margin fashion/status item. OLEDs in general are too, to a lesser extent. LG has a unique item so can set the price as they please. In a few years the novelty and exclusivity will go away and prices will come down.
dfa973 likes this.
post #5 of 15 Old 05-17-2019, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD23 View Post
The W series is also missing HDMI 2.1, correct?

Nope. Or missing the new HDMI 2.1. But they totally skipped over VRR and ALLM is my understanding.

I was one of the people that were going to splurge this year. But now have a wall mounted C9 instead.
Super happy but love the design of the W9. Shame it’s missing critical features this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 15 Old 05-17-2019, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarini View Post
W series oleds, they price them astronomically, cost more than twice of a C series, yet you dont get any picture improvements. When you are paying that much more, you should expect some improvements. What do you get other than proclaiming "this looks much prettier when hung on the wall" and who in their right mind would pay so much more for simply looks?
Forget the W series. Look at what Loewe Bild or Bang&Olufsen BeoVision sell for.

And like all modern ultra-premium TVs except for the C-Seed, they run on stock LG WOLED panels, not even the semi-custom panels that Philips and Panasonic use for their flagships.

Now isn't the W-series a bargain?
post #7 of 15 Old 05-17-2019, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Just think if LG got rid of that sound bar and had only a connect box like Samsung and mass produce them. I would like think the material used in a simple design could be more affordable than c model. Let people pick out their own sound solution. Just give us the tv lol.
lsorensen likes this.
post #8 of 15 Old 05-17-2019, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked: 2137
^^^^ The OCB was a good idea but having to spend an extra $200-$300 every year or every other year just to get the latest hardware improvements is not very appealing to me. Besides, do the panels "keep up" with the latest OCB capabilities? And wall mounted panels were an issue for a lot of folks because of the close proximity the OCB's needed to be to the panel (short specialized cable?). I suppose Samsung users would disagree but if it works for them, so be it.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Consultant for Ruipro.
post #9 of 15 Old 05-17-2019, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogHD View Post
Forget the W series. Look at what Loewe Bild or Bang&Olufsen BeoVision sell for.

And like all modern ultra-premium TVs except for the C-Seed, they run on stock LG WOLED panels, not even the semi-custom panels that Philips and Panasonic use for their flagships.

Now isn't the W-series a bargain?
B&O has always had their own unique pricing and style. Quality seems to have varied and is often extremely good (although likely not so good as to justify the price) and then occasionally incredibly bad.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
post #10 of 15 Old 05-17-2019, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsorensen View Post
B&O has always had their own unique pricing and style. Quality seems to have varied and is often extremely good (although likely not so good as to justify the price) and then occasionally incredibly bad.
Needed a sarcasm tag.

The W-series, Loewe and B&O TVs are meant to decorate the interior and look great in a matching design language. The B9 and the C9 are the answers to calls for "just a panel", with a Porsche 911 approach to external design.

Anyone looking for just the picture can get the B or C-series and wall-mount or custom-mount it. Yet, with LG's aggressive pricing meant to push maximum volume, this leaves tons of consumer surplus in the hands of people willing to pay far more for a high-end TV. One way to tap it is high launch pricing, but LG competes on launch pricing too.

Enter the slightly-premium E and luxury W and Z models - to everyone according to their wallet. The buyers might not get much for it vs the C-series, but many of them value what they're getting at twice what they're paying, so they still win.
post #11 of 15 Old 05-17-2019, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

One thing more to ponder is - with sony if you spend more for a A9G over the A8G (or the A9F over the A8F), you do get some picture quality enhancement features. With panasonic this year, if you get the upcoming GZ2000 you get picture benefits because of the custom panel it uses as opposed to the lower GZ models. And the price delta of the sony and panasonic flagship models is not too much over their lower models. With lg, you pay twice or more for the W series over the C series and you dont get any picture enhancements. And this year it seems the W9 will also lack some hdmi 2.1 features that the C9 carries. I dont get this. LG deserves to be called out for their humungous pricing on their "fashion statement" W series models.
post #12 of 15 Old 05-17-2019, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked: 870
Quote:
LG deserves to be called out for their humungous pricing on their "fashion statement" W series models.
I've found that the best way to call out a manufacturer for pricing something higher that what you think it's worth is -- don't buy it. If enough people feel the same way, either the price will come down, or the product will fail in the market place, and something else more appropriately priced will take its place. There is no better "call out" than consumers voting with their dollars.
post #13 of 15 Old 05-17-2019, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

If sales are anything to go by (as a measure of success), all the forums i post on or read, the W series owners' threads dont even have 500 posts in total, this just remains a high priced niche item. And this year if the W9 lacks some hdmi 2.1 features that the much cheaper C9 has, dont see it doing any better in sales. Lg needs to bring the price down on these.
post #14 of 15 Old 05-17-2019, 06:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked: 870
Quote:
If sales are anything to go by (as a measure of success), all the forums i post on or read, the W series owners' threads dont even have 500 posts in total, this just remains a high priced niche item. And this year if the W9 lacks some hdmi 2.1 features that the much cheaper C9 has, dont see it doing any better in sales. Lg needs to bring the price down on these.
But you're assuming that LG doesn't know what they are doing. That might in fact be the case. But they might have certain objectives or marketing considerations or manufacturing issues that are not within your knowledge or understanding. And the number of posts on this forum is not really any indication of sales. I could conceive that the type of folks who would be interested in the W series are not the type of folks how post on audio/video forums.

You could be right. LG might be crazy and the price might come down relative to their other sets. But you might also be a bit presumptuous.
post #15 of 15 Old 05-18-2019, 07:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty View Post
But you're assuming that LG doesn't know what they are doing. That might in fact be the case. But they might have certain objectives or marketing considerations or manufacturing issues that are not within your knowledge or understanding. And the number of posts on this forum is not really any indication of sales. I could conceive that the type of folks who would be interested in the W series are not the type of folks how post on audio/video forums.

You could be right. LG might be crazy and the price might come down relative to their other sets. But you might also be a bit presumptuous.

I assume that the W series requires relatively little investment, but has very high margins, so LG may be content with it being a very low volume product. LG already covers the high-end mainstream market with the B and C series.
smitty likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page