Dish vs. Direct TV for picture quality on 4K OLED - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes
  • 1 Post By Dolby2020
  • 1 Post By Dolby2020
  • 1 Post By chunon
  • 1 Post By peterfram
  • 3 Post By Grimbor
  • 1 Post By Friendlys
  • 1 Post By Dolby2020
  • 1 Post By Elitegti17
  • 2 Post By chi_hawks_23
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 05-18-2019, 03:02 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Dish vs. Direct TV for picture quality on 4K OLED

I'm a longtime Dish customer and never had a problem with it until purchasing a 65" LG C8 about a month go. I was expecting an improvement in picture quality over the Samsung PN60F500 plasma it replaced but have been surprised and disappointed with the C8, notably when watching DISH content. Sports is the worst offender but on most non-4K content the focus is soft. It was a problem that I never had the the Samsung. I've heard that Direct TV is less compressed and broadcasts in higher resolution than DISH. I'm considering switching from DISH to Direct TV when my contract runs out later this year, and checking to see if anyone out there shares this view or wants to talk me off the ledge. I'm a bit resolution-sensitive I guess. I notice when people or objects drift out of focus, and the picture looks life 480p. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
WOLVERNOLE likes this.

Last edited by Dolby2020; 05-18-2019 at 02:23 PM.
Dolby2020 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 25 Old 05-18-2019, 05:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rocky1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: miami
Posts: 2,309
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Been with directv for years and will probably stay for many more. Pq depends on channel sometimes. Overall very good sometimes outstanding. Do you know anyone with DTV that you can compare.. ive only seen dish maybe a cpl years ago via family member and wasnt impressed with thier system..


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sony XBR65A1E,(Pioneer 500m relocated), AppleTv 4K,Marantz sr7012, System Audio Loudspeakers( sa1750 mains), ML Grotto.
Eastern Electric Minimax cd, Oppo UDP-203, Toshiba HD, Pro Ject 1expression Carbon TT.
rocky1 is online now  
post #3 of 25 Old 05-18-2019, 05:06 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
chunon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 11,415
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3837 Post(s)
Liked: 3775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolby2020 View Post
I'm a longtime Dish customer and never had a problem with it until purchasing an LG C8 about a month go. I was expecting an improvement in picture quality over the Samsung PN60F500 plasma it replaced but have been surprised and disappointed with the C8, notably when watching DISH content. Sports is the worst offender but on most non-4K content the focus is soft. It was a problem that I never had the the Samsung. I've heard that Direct TV is less compressed and broadcasts in higher resolution than DISH. I'm considering switching from DISH to Direct TV when my contract runs out later this year, and checking to see if anyone out there shares this view or wants to talk me off the ledge. I'm a bit resolution-sensitive I guess. I notice when people or objects drift out of focus, and the picture looks life 480p. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.


Thanks,
Dolby2020


Did you go up in screen size? , that may be a contributing factor, also since Dish does not offer a native resolution settings with the box doing the upscaling that may be a contributing factor . Dtv is usually sharper on most content .


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2
chunon is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 25 Old 05-18-2019, 07:09 AM
Senior Member
 
bobkat007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 464
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolby2020 View Post
I'm a longtime Dish customer and never had a problem with it until purchasing an LG C8 about a month go. I was expecting an improvement in picture quality over the Samsung PN60F500 plasma it replaced but have been surprised and disappointed with the C8, notably when watching DISH content. Sports is the worst offender but on most non-4K content the focus is soft. It was a problem that I never had the the Samsung. I've heard that Direct TV is less compressed and broadcasts in higher resolution than DISH. I'm considering switching from DISH to Direct TV when my contract runs out later this year, and checking to see if anyone out there shares this view or wants to talk me off the ledge. I'm a bit resolution-sensitive I guess. I notice when people or objects drift out of focus, and the picture looks life 480p. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.


Thanks,
Dolby2020
I have had both Dish and Directv, and overall I would give the edge to DTV. Both have a lot of variability with regards to content. Surprisingly, I find network programs to vary the most, from excellent to very poor, even over the same network. Not sure I understand that, you would think that would be more consistent. I think that might be related to how they carry local city networks around the country. 1080P movies are consistently good. I have the newer HS17 Genie 2 hardware which still has firmware glitches that can be annoying at times, and requires a refresh or reset periodically(maybe once every couple months).
bobkat007 is offline  
post #5 of 25 Old 05-18-2019, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
smitty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Southern California, USA
Posts: 2,719
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolby2020 View Post
I'm a longtime Dish customer and never had a problem with it until purchasing an LG C8 about a month go. I was expecting an improvement in picture quality over the Samsung PN60F500 plasma it replaced but have been surprised and disappointed with the C8, notably when watching DISH content. Sports is the worst offender but on most non-4K content the focus is soft. It was a problem that I never had the the Samsung. I've heard that Direct TV is less compressed and broadcasts in higher resolution than DISH. I'm considering switching from DISH to Direct TV when my contract runs out later this year, and checking to see if anyone out there shares this view or wants to talk me off the ledge. I'm a bit resolution-sensitive I guess. I notice when people or objects drift out of focus, and the picture looks life 480p. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
There have been quite a few comments on the C8 owner's thread and on some other threads as well to the effect that the picture on the C8 with the Dish network is disappointing, and that it is soft, etc. You don't see the same type of comments with Directv, which allows you to set the resolution to "native" and have the C8 do the upscaling. I suppose it is theoretically possible that Dish owners are more picky than Directv customers, but I seriously doubt that this is the case. I think the comments I have read over the past several months specifically regarding the C8 and the Dish network indicate that the problem is with the Dish network..

If it bothers you, I would give Directv a try. They are owned by AT&T now, so their customer services is not what it used to be (true for many companyies nowadays), but I find the picture on my Directv receiver very, very good, and I have no issues with sports -- and I watch a lot of sports.
smitty is offline  
post #6 of 25 Old 05-18-2019, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
Did you go up in screen size? , that may be a contributing factor, also since Dish does not offer a native resolution settings with the box doing the upscaling that may be a contributing factor . Dtv is usually sharper on most content .


Good point. I went from a 60" to a 65," which is 18 percent larger, so I am giving something up on the resolution side. But when I went from a 50" low-end 2008 Samsung plasma to a 60" F8500 the picture quality on the F8500 blew it out of the water. Consumer Reports' review of the F8500 (and comparison to the excellent Panasonic ZT60) noted that the 8500 did a really good job of handling compressed HD content, so that may be a factor too.
Dolby2020 is offline  
post #7 of 25 Old 05-18-2019, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty View Post
There have been quite a few comments on the C8 owner's thread and on some other threads as well to the effect that the picture on the C8 with the Dish network is disappointing, and that it is soft, etc. You don't see the same type of comments with Directv, which allows you to set the resolution to "native" and have the C8 do the upscaling. I suppose it is theoretically possible that Dish owners are more picky than Directv customers, but I seriously doubt that this is the case. I think the comments I have read over the past several months specifically regarding the C8 and the Dish network indicate that the problem is with the Dish network..

If it bothers you, I would give Directv a try. They are owned by AT&T now, so their customer services is not what it used to be (true for many companyies nowadays), but I find the picture on my Directv receiver very, very good, and I have no issues with sports -- and I watch a lot of sports.

I noticed some comments and did a search on the C8 owners' thread, the comments were all over the place and hard to track down and felt the issue perhaps deserves a closer look for owners of other 4K OLEDS that may be experiencing similar issues.



I'm considering switching to Direct TV but have some concerns. DTV is quite a bit more expensive, and I'm satisfied with the DISH's customer service and pricing. The picture quality is another story obviously. It seems like a big ordeal to switch, for a difference that's hard to quantify. Another issue is that I live in a rent-controlled apartment building that's under new ownership, and even though the rental agreements are grandfathered (if I was allowed to have a satellite installed under previous ownership they aren't allowed to impose new restrictions) I'm a little concerned about the attention it might attract having a satellite installer walking around the roof.


In other words, if I'm going to make the switch, I feel like I need to be pretty sure the picture quality difference would be noticeable.
WOLVERNOLE likes this.

Last edited by Dolby2020; 05-18-2019 at 02:24 PM.
Dolby2020 is offline  
post #8 of 25 Old 05-18-2019, 12:57 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
chunon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 11,415
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3837 Post(s)
Liked: 3775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolby2020 View Post
Good point. I went from a 60" to a 65," which is 18 percent larger, so I am giving something up on the resolution side. But when I went from a 50" low-end 2008 Samsung plasma to a 60" F8500 the picture quality on the F8500 blew it out of the water. Consumer Reports' review of the F8500 (and comparison to the excellent Panasonic ZT60) noted that the 8500 did a really good job of handling compressed HD content, so that may be a factor too.


Yeah could be , I have a 77” and dtv and am very pleased with the pq, I expected a decrease going from a 65” Sony Oled to the larger LG oled but fortunately that hasn’t been the case . You are correct on the price of dtv, after the first year it is more expensive . You might consider some steaming options several good ones out there .


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WOLVERNOLE likes this.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2
chunon is online now  
post #9 of 25 Old 05-18-2019, 01:04 PM
Senior Member
 
peterfram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 297
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Not sure what's available in your location or you channel needs, but I dumped Dish last year after finding live streaming TV image quality to be superior. Though still compressed, all the channels and content are consistently sharper and noticeably better to my eyes. I'm currently on YouTube TV because my wife needs AMC, but Hulu Live and Fubo TV also provided superior image quality when I used them, with exception of initial stream startup ramping up to full quality briefly at times. Of course you need decent and reliable Internet connectivity to go this route. The Dish Hopper/4K stuff was good, but not much quality content to use with it. The live streaming DVR experience isn't as good but it is basically unlimited for my needs.

A free trial to evaluate can't hurt.
Dolby2020 likes this.
peterfram is offline  
post #10 of 25 Old 05-19-2019, 09:53 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Just one more year until established 5G. Since 5G is cheap to implement 20 gig data streams for anyone within range of a 5G network, this means cable companies can do what Huawei is doing, putting in the 5G capability to stream even 8K content with no signal loss. https://bgr.com/2019/05/01/huawei-tv...-connectivity/

Eventually, this will be the silver bullet for cable and satellite as both can enhance their current signal source with a 5G signal, giving them the ability to out compete everyone until 6G is here and 16K+ is a standard. If we do not see 5G incorporated into Comcast, Dish, and Direct- they all deserve to die quickly to the more forward thinking people.
WOLVERNOLE, Dolby2020 and Jason626 like this.
Grimbor is offline  
post #11 of 25 Old 05-19-2019, 11:54 AM
Senior Member
 
Picasso Moon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: The Land of Enchantment
Posts: 285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolby2020 View Post
I'm a longtime Dish customer and never had a problem with it until purchasing a 65" LG C8 about a month go.

What Dish receiver do you have? Their older receivers were notorious for having mediocre picture quality. But the Hopper 3 has greatly improved this. No personal experience with 4k since I'm using a 9 y.o. 1080p display but everything I read before going with Dish said don't even think about going with anything but the newest Hopper.
Picasso Moon is offline  
post #12 of 25 Old 05-19-2019, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 589
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 200
I don't own a OLED but do own 2 non sony 4k tv.s. my 9 year old samsung 1080p set both looked better than the 4k sets with DirecTV. There is less upscaling involved with the 1080p set. Btw, my opinion of the 4k channel they offered was a joke. Once in a blue moon there would be a decent sports game on but besides that a bunch of nature shows. I have since moved to youtube tv and streaming was a big improvement in almost all the stations plus free DVR. Yes I also had dish network and it was terriable to my eyes.
The issues of compression are amplified on a 4k tv. So good content looks great and avg. content will look much worse vs. a good 1080p set.
WOLVERNOLE likes this.
Friendlys is offline  
post #13 of 25 Old 05-19-2019, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Picasso Moon View Post
What Dish receiver do you have? Their older receivers were notorious for having mediocre picture quality. But the Hopper 3 has greatly improved this. No personal experience with 4k since I'm using a 9 y.o. 1080p display but everything I read before going with Dish said don't even think about going with anything but the newest Hopper.

I'm using a Hopper3
Dolby2020 is offline  
post #14 of 25 Old 05-19-2019, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendlys View Post
I don't own a OLED but do own 2 non sony 4k tv.s. my 9 year old samsung 1080p set both looked better than the 4k sets with DirecTV. There is less upscaling involved with the 1080p set. Btw, my opinion of the 4k channel they offered was a joke. Once in a blue moon there would be a decent sports game on but besides that a bunch of nature shows. I have since moved to youtube tv and streaming was a big improvement in almost all the stations plus free DVR. Yes I also had dish network and it was terriable to my eyes.
The issues of compression are amplified on a 4k tv. So good content looks great and avg. content will look much worse vs. a good 1080p set.

For what it's worth, 720p content that I get OTA looks better than anything I'm getting on DISH, and better than the HBO I'm streaming through Amazon that's supposedly 1080p. My non-expert takeaway from this is that beyond a certain point, compression is a bigger factor in PQ than resolution.



Strange times in the electronics industry. We can only buy the TVs of the future, and they don't work so great with the content of the present.
peterfram likes this.
Dolby2020 is offline  
post #15 of 25 Old 05-19-2019, 02:01 PM
Member
 
ironcobra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterfram View Post
Not sure what's available in your location or you channel needs, but I dumped Dish last year after finding live streaming TV image quality to be superior. Though still compressed, all the channels and content are consistently sharper and noticeably better to my eyes. I'm currently on YouTube TV because my wife needs AMC, but Hulu Live and Fubo TV also provided superior image quality when I used them, with exception of initial stream startup ramping up to full quality briefly at times. Of course you need decent and reliable Internet connectivity to go this route. The Dish Hopper/4K stuff was good, but not much quality content to use with it. The live streaming DVR experience isn't as good but it is basically unlimited for my needs.

A free trial to evaluate can't hurt.
completely agree with this...a roku or similar is a great option. Pay for what you want content wise as streaming now appears to be much better. I was very happy to cancel dtv and now even stream the ticket which is good quality as well. 4k ota is coming soon so if you watch locals a decent antenna is a good option for that.
ironcobra is offline  
post #16 of 25 Old 05-19-2019, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I found this thread on a Dish community forum. Whether it's a matter of compression, resolution, or a combination of both, there are a lot of 4K TV owners who aren't happy with what they're getting from Dish. I called customer retention over the weekend and they offered to waive the fees to send a technician to my house to see what's going on. I suppose it's possible they can try moving the satellite and changing settings on my Hopper3, but doubtful. Hoping they at least report back to Dish that what customers are getting is unacceptable. As more 4K TVs flood the market Dish is going to get a tsunami of angry subscribers. They don't know what's coming, or they're banking on a version of the Aol model, counting on enough customers being dumb enough not to notice that they're paying $20 a month for dial-up 15 years after they started giving it away for free, or in the case of Dish, banking on customers who don't care about blurry "HD" content.



https://communities.dish.com/t5/At-H...ing/td-p/13308
Dolby2020 is offline  
post #17 of 25 Old 05-20-2019, 05:35 AM
Member
 
Elitegti17's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolby2020 View Post
I found this thread on a Dish community forum. Whether it's a matter of compression, resolution, or a combination of both, there are a lot of 4K TV owners who aren't happy with what they're getting from Dish. I called customer retention over the weekend and they offered to waive the fees to send a technician to my house to see what's going on. I suppose it's possible they can try moving the satellite and changing settings on my Hopper3, but doubtful. Hoping they at least report back to Dish that what customers are getting is unacceptable. As more 4K TVs flood the market Dish is going to get a tsunami of angry subscribers. They don't know what's coming, or they're banking on a version of the Aol model, counting on enough customers being dumb enough not to notice that they're paying $20 a month for dial-up 15 years after they started giving it away for free, or in the case of Dish, banking on customers who don't care about blurry "HD" content.



https://communities.dish.com/t5/At-H...ing/td-p/13308
Please report back once they have gone out. I don't think you will see any difference tbh, seems like Dish is the problem. I am in a similar position, looking at streaming options but hard to find one that has all the channels we watch.
Elitegti17 is offline  
post #18 of 25 Old 05-20-2019, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elitegti17 View Post
Please report back once they have gone out. I don't think you will see any difference tbh, seems like Dish is the problem. I am in a similar position, looking at streaming options but hard to find one that has all the channels we watch.

Will do. I agree, options are very limited. Direct TV by all accounts offers better picture quality, but enough to make a measurable difference? I have no idea, and the only way to know for sure is to have them install it. Problem is once they do that you're on the hook for a two-year contract at prices that after the one-year promotional rate goes through the roof. And all things being equal, I'd prefer not to hand any of my money over to a company like AT&T, which is one of the driving forces against Net neutrality and is pretty much the face of corporate greed.



I'd also encourage you (and everyone who's in the same boat!) to jump on the Dish forum and describe what you're experiencing. The more feedback Dish gets, the more likely they are to step up their picture quality game.
Dolby2020 is offline  
post #19 of 25 Old 05-20-2019, 11:55 AM
Member
 
Elitegti17's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolby2020 View Post
Will do. I agree, options are very limited. Direct TV by all accounts offers better picture quality, but enough to make a measurable difference? I have no idea, and the only way to know for sure is to have them install it. Problem is once they do that you're on the hook for a two-year contract at prices that after the one-year promotional rate goes through the roof. And all things being equal, I'd prefer not to hand any of my money over to a company like AT&T, which is one of the driving forces against Net neutrality and is pretty much the face of corporate greed.



I'd also encourage you (and everyone who's in the same boat!) to jump on the Dish forum and describe what you're experiencing. The more feedback Dish gets, the more likely they are to step up their picture quality game.
Agreed on the part about AT&T! I will say a couple years back when I switched from DTV to Dish I did notice a slightly softer picture on my plasma. That being said, the Hopper 3 made up for it and the price difference wasn't worth it. Now on C8 it seems I've taken a step backwards. Iv'e only had it a couple days and will need to adjust the settings, and a couple people on the c8 thread said to give it a couple days for the panel to break in. It's a shame as the tv in all other sources looks gorgeous!
WOLVERNOLE likes this.
Elitegti17 is offline  
post #20 of 25 Old 05-20-2019, 12:04 PM
Member
 
chi_hawks_23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 116
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I've had DirecTV for 12 years and have always been good with the picture quality. That spans two Pioneer Kuro's and two LG OLEDs. The 4k channels (ex. 105) are really good too. Watched some of the Byron Nelson golf tourney a week ago in 4K and it looks really nice.
chunon and WOLVERNOLE like this.
chi_hawks_23 is offline  
post #21 of 25 Old 05-21-2019, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elitegti17 View Post
Please report back once they have gone out. I don't think you will see any difference tbh, seems like Dish is the problem. I am in a similar position, looking at streaming options but hard to find one that has all the channels we watch.

Technician showed up, acknowledged poor picture quality. He said he'd report back to his supervisor, so hopefully if more customers do this it will pressure Dish to reduce compression, at least to the levels that Direct TV uses. They're going to have to do something. Dish isn't going to keep customers around for long with picture quality like this.
Dolby2020 is offline  
post #22 of 25 Old 05-21-2019, 03:34 PM
Senior Member
 
Picasso Moon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: The Land of Enchantment
Posts: 285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolby2020 View Post
I'm using a Hopper3

OK.


Glad you started this thread.


At some point I'd like to upgrade my 2010 Sony LCD but most people say the picture on the new 4k TV's won't look as good as my old set when you feed it 1080i or 720p. And since I'm suck with satellite or nothing (and probably will be for the foreseeable future) aside from an occasional BD movie I guess I'm probably better off saving my money and sticking with my old HD set. I'd hate to spend the money on a new set and find it has a worse picture than what it replaced.
Picasso Moon is offline  
post #23 of 25 Old 05-21-2019, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rocky1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: miami
Posts: 2,309
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked: 125
My oled looks amazing with dtv 1080i and 1080p...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sony XBR65A1E,(Pioneer 500m relocated), AppleTv 4K,Marantz sr7012, System Audio Loudspeakers( sa1750 mains), ML Grotto.
Eastern Electric Minimax cd, Oppo UDP-203, Toshiba HD, Pro Ject 1expression Carbon TT.
rocky1 is online now  
post #24 of 25 Old 05-21-2019, 05:12 PM
Member
 
Elitegti17's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 20
[QUOTE=Dolby2020;58080616]Technician showed up, acknowledged poor picture quality. He said he'd report back to his supervisor, so hopefully if more customers do this it will pressure Dish to reduce compression, at least to the levels that Direct TV uses. They're going to have to do something. Dish isn't going to keep customers around for long with picture quality like this.[/QUOTE

Thank you. I called and complained as well. Like you said if enough people call hopefully they react. If not they won't be keeping customers around especially with all the streaming options.
Elitegti17 is offline  
post #25 of 25 Old 05-21-2019, 06:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
5x10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,521
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked: 624
Direct tv now > DISH
I had both hooked up to the same tv, same tv shows, are DTVN was a much sharper picture

Lg 65 C7
Lg 9800 1080 Oled
Epson LS10500
Panasonic UB820 uhd player
5x10 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off