Opinion on Smart TV or Roku / Nvidia /Apple TV / Firestick - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: Best smart tv (NOT picture quality)
Samsung Qled Smart TV 0 0%
LG Oled Smart TV 2 40.00%
Roku or other streaming box 3 60.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Otto Pylot
  • 1 Post By dtximages

post #1 of 15 Old 05-23-2019, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Opinion on Smart TV or Roku / Nvidia /Apple TV / Firestick

OPINIONS PLEASE: SMART TV OR ROKU ULTRA... Can I ditch my Roku if I get a new mid-upper tier smart tv?

I'm wanting to upgrade my TV from my 10 year old 1080p Sharp to probably either the LG OLED or Samsung QLED. One of my justifications is that I THINK the user interface on the new smart tvs will be as good as or better than using my Roku Ultra. Is this true?

Do you think the "smart parts" of these new TVs will enable me to ditch Roku or other streaming boxes?

FYI, I only use Roku to stream YouTube, YouTubeTV, Netflix, Hulu, and a couple of others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-23-2019, 07:02 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 150
I used to think the smart TV apps would be good enough to ditch a streaming box or stick, but it just didn't work out that way. The internal apps may be fine at first, but they tend to be less supported and have fewer features. For instance, you can't output movies at 24p via internal streaming apps. And YTTV on my B6 doesn't support 60 fps playback. It's just not strong enough. You're also stuck using the TV's remote to control all the apps. Sure, it's convenient, but it's not the best way usually since the remote is not tailor made for the apps.

Currently I'm using an Apple TV 4K with my Sony A9F and recently got a Fire Stick 4K for my B6. Huge upgrades. Not only do I get iTunes movies through the ATV, but I can watch free movies through the Fire Stick with IMDB Freedive. I believe Roku has something similar. Can't do any of this just using the Smart TV.

Sony 55A9F
LG 55B6
post #3 of 15 Old 05-23-2019, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micolash View Post
I used to think the smart TV apps would be good enough to ditch a streaming box or stick, but it just didn't work out that way. The internal apps may be fine at first, but they tend to be less supported and have fewer features. For instance, you can't output movies at 24p via internal streaming apps. And YTTV on my B6 doesn't support 60 fps playback. It's just not strong enough. You're also stuck using the TV's remote to control all the apps. Sure, it's convenient, but it's not the best way usually since the remote is not tailor made for the apps.

Currently I'm using an Apple TV 4K with my Sony A9F and recently got a Fire Stick 4K for my B6. Huge upgrades. Not only do I get iTunes movies through the ATV, but I can watch free movies through the Fire Stick with IMDB Freedive. I believe Roku has something similar. Can't do any of this just using the Smart TV.
Great info thanks for weighing in! I just sold two Apple TV 4ks because I could not stand the remote anymore. I was constantly messing things up with the touchpad ha. Back to Roku Ultra for me (for now).

When I play with the Smart TV's at Best Buy, they feel so fast and smooth. THe remotes are slicker. Trying to simplify but if they suck after a few months, then forget that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 05-23-2019, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 340
I use my Roku's all day long. My wife uses the tv apps for Vudu and Netflix(because she is too lazy to change inputs) and there is quite a difference in sustained quality.

Sony 65A1E
LG 65EF9500
LG 55EG9100
Samsung 60F8500
LG UP870 Multi-Region
post #5 of 15 Old 05-23-2019, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianabol5mg View Post
I use my Roku's all day long. My wife uses the tv apps for Vudu and Netflix(because she is too lazy to change inputs) and there is quite a difference in sustained quality.
Yeah my wife is going to kill me if i switch up systems again and ask her to learn a new remote..

Anyway, I was kinda hoping y'all would tell me how great Smart TV's are now days and make me go buy a new one. Instead, I'm leaning towards keeping the old 1080p until it dies.

Truth: the longer you can push off a tv purchase, the more you win.
post #6 of 15 Old 05-23-2019, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3168 Post(s)
Liked: 2204
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtximages View Post
Yeah my wife is going to kill me if i switch up systems again and ask her to learn a new remote..

Anyway, I was kinda hoping y'all would tell me how great Smart TV's are now days and make me go buy a new one. Instead, I'm leaning towards keeping the old 1080p until it dies.

Truth: the longer you can push off a tv purchase, the more you win.

Smart TV's (or at least the apps) do have their place and there are lots of folks who love them. I don't. I have a 65 C8 that does have a very fast and nice interface but I've only played around with it to see what it could do. I do all of my streaming via the ATV4k. As far as not liking the Apple remote, I don't use it at all and instead use a Harmony remote to control my HTS. Navigating the ATV4k (and the receiver, C8, and the UHD/BD player) is very easy with the Harmony.
sigpig likes this.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #7 of 15 Old 05-23-2019, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked: 776
I haven't used a roku, appletv or fire stick. I am very happy with the apps on my Sony TV (and being android TV the apps are definitely being maintained). Of course before getting this TV I had never used netflix or prime at all. Now almost everything is netflix or youtube or occasionally prime (if one can ever find anything on that mess), and hardly ever cableTV anymore. Since LG and Samsung have their own proprietary OSs, it is certainly possible the apps receive less maintenance and support on those platforms.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
post #8 of 15 Old 05-23-2019, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

All helpful responses.

I'm kinda leaning towards Sony now for its Android TV. Historically, I've hated it (i have a sony 4k with android tv and it's slow, clunky, and awful remote)... But I played with the new version of Android TV on my Nvidia Shield and it's my favorite platform now!

I wonder if Sony's tvs will operate Android TV as well as Nvidia Shield did. Hmmmm...
post #9 of 15 Old 05-23-2019, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Sadly for consumers there's no one box that does it all..

I use my C8's youtube app as it gives me the best quality.. but I hate that the remote app on my phone doesn't allow text entry..

I use my ATV4K for apps not on my TV. ... HBO GO, AMC and other cable channels which are unbearable to watch using Xfinity box.. but tolerable as ATV4K upscales them.. plus app quality is better.. I hardly ever use the Apple TV remote.. it's gathering dust somewhere.. I would lobby Apple to ditch it and lower the price $50.. I use the phone app exclusively to control my ATV.

I also have a Roku Ultra.. and if I were pushed .. I'd ditch all other interfaces and select that.. I didn't really find any fault with it.. I again used the Roku Remote app to control it.. minus a few things here and there.. I think it's superior to ATV4K .. I just wanted to start building a 4K digital library so got the Apple..

Add to it the fact that TV's don't get their "smart" portion updated that much.. except for deletion of dated apps or where licenses expire.. I'd stick to an external device that gets updates and usually adds more apps than loses them.

My $.02

Insert pithy comment here
post #10 of 15 Old 05-23-2019, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
All helpful responses.

I'm kinda leaning towards Sony now for its Android TV. Historically, I've hated it (i have a sony 4k with android tv and it's slow, clunky, and awful remote)... But I played with the new version of Android TV on my Nvidia Shield and it's my favorite platform now!

I wonder if Sony's tvs will operate Android TV as well as Nvidia Shield did. Hmmmm...
The UI change when they went to Oreo was certainly much better (and a lot faster too). In the case of the A9F/A9G the processor is also a lot faster than it was/is in the A1E/A8F/A8G and many of their LCD models.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
post #11 of 15 Old 05-23-2019, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Ok this got me thinking.

Is there a great TV (like 95% as good as the OLED or QLED) WITHOUT the Smart TV part?

I see no reason in paying for the Smart part when it sucks.
sigpig likes this.
post #12 of 15 Old 05-23-2019, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ok this got me thinking.

Is there a great TV (like 95% as good as the OLED or QLED) WITHOUT the Smart TV part?

I see no reason in paying for the Smart part when it sucks.
Given the TV needs a processor to run the UI/menu system, there seems to be no reason to not just do a smartTV these days, so that seems to be what is done. There is really no savings to be had by not making it a smartTV anymore. I guess reducing the RAM and flash a bit could save a couple of dollars, but no one is going to do that to cater to a small market of people that explicitly don't want the smartTV part anymore for a few dollars.

Certainly a quick check of bestbuy's website: 112 TVs listed in total. 112 of them have smart TV features.

And it doesn't suck. I am surprised how useful it is. Before getting a TV with the smart features I used to see no point in them (including all external devices), but now I can't imagine a TV without it (I still don't want the external box, at this time at least).

Len Sorensen

post #13 of 15 Old 05-23-2019, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I personally like the software on my new Samsung but the absence of iTunes had made me keep the APTV.
However, now my family is used to APTV and are refusing to switch.
post #14 of 15 Old 05-24-2019, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1788 Post(s)
Liked: 1228
To me, the only downside of using a smart TV is getting ARC to work. Or getting a toslink connection to work. The problem is you have to know what to set on the TV and on the receiver, so it's usually a lot of trial and error. Once setup, everything is fine.

I use a blu-ray player, PS3, and smart TV for streaming on various setups and they're all more or less are the same. If I didn't already have a PS3 or blu-ray, there's no way I would waste $100 or so on a content streamer.
post #15 of 15 Old 05-24-2019, 10:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 438
A smart TV (non Roku) doesn't always offer access to all of the streaming choices available via a Roku device. Most people probably never access them but I have found a couple to be occasionally interesting. Otherwise I don't see any real quality differences for the same streaming channels between my Roku Ultra and the apps in my LG OLED. I think what it comes down to is which device(s) deliver the things you want.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page