55" oled vs 65" plasma - advice please - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes
  • 1 Post By thomopolis
  • 1 Post By AnalogHD
  • 2 Post By Yukon Trooper
  • 1 Post By Menarini
  • 2 Post By JD23
  • 1 Post By ayrton911
  • 1 Post By ratm
  • 1 Post By JD23
  • 1 Post By KidHorn

post #1 of 11 Old 05-26-2019, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
55" oled vs 65" plasma - advice please

Hello,
I am at the verge of buying a new 55"oled (lg made, though branded as vestel - same as lg 55b7) or a 65"plasma (Panny 65st50).

It will be used in the living room only at nights with a viewing distance of around 2.5 - 3 meters (8-10 ft) mainly for Netflix.

I have an Optoma 4k projector in a different room but also want something good for the family time. Now my dilemma is mostly on price vs new technology/hdr. Panny would cost me around 500 bucks and vestel around 950. ... Which one would you buy? 😅
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-26-2019, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 46
After 10 years I just updated my 50" Pioneer plasma to a 65" Sony OLED.

Viewing distances are between 6-12 feet.

While the OLED picture is incredible, I mean really freaking to die for incredible, I am also really enjoying the increased size for this space. The 50" plasma also had an incredible picture, but if it had been the 60" version, I may have put off upgradinng for another year or two.

Given that the plasma you are looking at is an awesome set, and given that any OLED at that price probably has a very, very poor processor, I'd definitely go with the plasma.

Sorry - updating - thought the plasma was a VT, not the ST. I'd still probably go with the plasma. Panasonics were always rather good, and while the LG B7 wasn't bad, I think size in that space, especially for what you are going to use it for does matter.
Lex vs Kingpin likes this.

Last edited by thomopolis; 05-26-2019 at 10:51 AM.
post #3 of 11 Old 05-26-2019, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 436
If you go with the plasma, please make sure you're OK with a set that's very dim by modern standards - just over 100 cd/m2. About 1/3 of what OLED deliver. It's still well above what most PJ setups deliver and above the required levels for SDR, but depends on a dark room environment.

OLED image is better day and night (literally: bright enough for daytime, perfect blacks for the night), and for solo viewing, where you can sit wherever's best, there is no contest. Not even the extra size can make up for it (now a 110" PJ, we would be talking). If you can play with viewing distance to watch it as close as comfortable, any OLED wins.

The OLED you're considering is also presumably new and 4K HDR - otherwise, you should be able to pick a used 55" 1080p OLED for $600-ish.

If your 8-10 ft viewing distance is immutable, though, and you're OK with a dimmer picture and not getting into the HDR world, the plasma makes sense. You say you've got a PJ for proper movie viewing, so that settles the solo question. Now in your shoes I'd rather ask your family - would they rather have smaller top-notch picture or still very good but larger one.

At this size and distance you shouldn't be concerned about the poor processing in third-party displays, not to mention Netflix implies great video quality out of the box, no super-smart upscaling needed.

Last edited by AnalogHD; 05-26-2019 at 02:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 05-26-2019, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 41
The ST50 is plenty bright for night time Netflix viewing. OLED is great, but at 8-10 feet that extra 10" will make a bigger impact on your viewing experience.
Lex vs Kingpin and KidHorn like this.

post #5 of 11 Old 05-26-2019, 04:53 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 774 Post(s)
Liked: 356
If >50% of your viewing is non 4k content, then the 65" plasma is the better choice.
post #6 of 11 Old 05-26-2019, 08:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 245
I have a Panasonic GT50 and a 1500 nit LCD and the plasma's brightness is perfectly adequate for most viewing, especially at night. I would go with the larger size and cheaper price and then upgrade again in a few years.
DeadEd and Lex vs Kingpin like this.
post #7 of 11 Old 05-26-2019, 10:19 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Yeah size is a big deal especially when plasma is a great technology, you will have a good picture. Just as long as this unit is reliable? Not sure where you're sourcing it from, ie if it has many hours on it etc. Obviously they haven't been made in several years, but if you're confident in the plasma's condition, the size and plasma technology should make for an enjoyable experience.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-27-2019, 02:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thank you all for the feedback.

It's in good condition and I believe it is gonna be the plasma!! (by the way it is going to replace my trustworthy panny 42ph10uka industrial model plasma from 2008! - my only dislike is the floating blacks on the 10uk)....
post #9 of 11 Old 05-27-2019, 03:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Though the adage of "size always matters", in this case, I think you'd be making a mistake by going with the Plasma. My previous set was a Samsung F8500, which was a few tiers higher than the ST50 (depending on who you asked). My 65 B7A OLED is liiiiiight years better than my Samsung. No matter the source, 4k, SD, OTA, its the most jaw-dropping picture I have ever seen. Since the 65 oled is about $500 more than the 55, I would seriously consider holding off, saving some cash and getting the bigger set.
post #10 of 11 Old 05-27-2019, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 245
The plasma won't ever look as spectacular as the OLED at its best, but it will also have less flaws that detract from the experience. The 2017 panels seem to be the worst in terms low-luminance jailbar banding and also had a tendency for yellow "piss stains" on full-field whites, so your luck in the panel lottery would be critical with the B7. Motion is also going to be superior on the plasma.
post #11 of 11 Old 05-28-2019, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1786 Post(s)
Liked: 1221
OLED is better than plasma, but 65" is way better than 55". Saving $450 is icing on the cake.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page