Value Electronics 2019 TV Shootout evaluation event June 12, 2019 - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 549Likes
Closed Thread

post #61 of 428 Old 05-31-2019, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 203 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5071 Post(s)
Liked: 3581
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroadus View Post
@shoman94 - I apologize for my incoherent drivel earlier, I was refereeing a group of 4 year olds.

Anyway...the Sony 65A9G easily fits in my budget but I would really like to have the 77A9G. My viewing is mostly in the evening with minimal light, except weekend football, hockey, soccer and baseball games during the day. I do a little gaming, probably 4-6 hours at a time on a Friday afternoon. I’m concerned about the Z9F, and most LEDs, because I’ve heard that they are extremely bright and most of my watching is in the evening. I have a guy that calibrates my Panny and he sets up a day and night mode for me, is this possible or is there a similar setting on the Z9F? Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yes you can setup the Z9F the same way. Some gives us many settings that cater to the different conditions. I personally only watch movies in the dark. I light my room with the recommended 5 nits. There are pros and cons with many sets and the different technologies.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 428 Old 05-31-2019, 09:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked: 1116
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
If they have time i'll give an updated presentation of OOTB calibration and ICtCp on these new 2019 sets at the shootout which will document what is typically seen.
ICtCp would hurt some feelings.

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk
post #63 of 428 Old 06-01-2019, 06:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman94 View Post
Yes you can setup the Z9F the same way. Some gives us many settings that cater to the different conditions. I personally only watch movies in the dark. I light my room with the recommended 5 nits. There are pros and cons with many sets and the different technologies.

Are you saying that Sony has many different setting on the Z9F for different room conditions? Thanks

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B
Anthem MRX-720, Oppo UDP-205, Bluesound Node 2i, Focal Aria 936/CC900
MacBook Pro, AppleTV 3 & 4K, Sony PS4 Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 428 Old 06-01-2019, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Are you saying that Sony has many different setting on the Z9F for different room conditions? Thanks

Many brands have different settings for different viewing conditions. BTW, the Z9F has terrible reflection handling in a bright room...

Sony 65 A9F, LG 65 E9
post #65 of 428 Old 06-01-2019, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by New_to_4K View Post
Many brands have different settings for different viewing conditions. BTW, the Z9F has terrible reflection handling in a bright room...
I have 4 windows and 2 skylights in my living room. Daytime viewing is not an issue. Like any room setup and TV, where the reflections are in relation to the TV affects how the tv handles them. You statement is very one sided and sounds like a product bashing. Please refrain from that here.

Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #66 of 428 Old 06-01-2019, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 125
I wish they include Sony X950G 85 inch
mbroadus likes this.

LG OLED C8 65 2018 BR . HT: JVC RS2000, S Studio Tek 130 1.3 Gain screen, Apple TV4k, Def Tech 9080/C 9080/9040 Dolby Atmos Speakers, Denon X6500H , Panasonic UB820 and a nagging wife.
post #67 of 428 Old 06-01-2019, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Value Electronics 2019 TV Shootout evaluation event June 12, 2019

Quote:

Yes, I know there is standard, home theater, cinema mode, etc settings. I was referring to sub mode settings.

Regarding reflections, RTINGS.com says, “Excellent reflection handling, but slightly worse than the Z9D. There should be no issues using this TV in a very bright room. Interestingly, reflections are smeared horizontally on this screen more than any other TV we've tested. This may be a result of the new optical layer, which you can see in the pixels photo here. Even bright lights which are far off the the side of the TV can be seen smeared horizontally when the TV is off.”

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/z9f

I’m more concerned about the low contrast ratio.

Anyway, let’s get back on topic of the shootout!

shoman94 likes this.

Panasonic P60VT60 Calibrated by Chad B
Anthem MRX-720, Oppo UDP-205, Bluesound Node 2i, Focal Aria 936/CC900
MacBook Pro, AppleTV 3 & 4K, Sony PS4 Pro
post #68 of 428 Old 06-01-2019, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes, I know there is standard, home theater, cinema mode, etc settings. I was referring to sub mode settings.

Regarding reflections, RTINGS.com says, “Excellent reflection handling, but slightly worse than the Z9D. There should be no issues using this TV in a very bright room. Interestingly, reflections are smeared horizontally on this screen more than any other TV we've tested. This may be a result of the new optical layer, which you can see in the pixels photo here. Even bright lights which are far off the the side of the TV can be seen smeared horizontally when the TV is off.”

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/z9f

I’m more concerned about the low contrast ratio.

Anyway, let’s get back on topic of the shootout!

Yes like most Sony's..... ACE which helps a lot with low APL scenes. Local dimming, XDR among others.

post #69 of 428 Old 06-01-2019, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1714 Post(s)
Liked: 1077
Whats the best way to sign up to attend, register for CE Week? Before it was just an email to Robert.

LG65C9, XBOX ONE X, PS4PRO, APPLE 4K, SONY STRDN1070, TAKE CLASSIC 5.1
post #70 of 428 Old 06-01-2019, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensingtonwick View Post
Hell yes! Quantum X!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Why? Samsung positioned Q90 against OLED, it is only fair if it is compared against OLED.

Should include Quantum X in the shootout too.
Here is a response from Robert on the Vizio PX65-Q. I like the vetting process and retail purchasing of the displays that will be in the shootout.

CE Week is discussing the TV Shootout with them and from my latest update no decision has been reached yet.  I’ll  get back to you when I find out more.  

I made the decisions on the TVs that are included so far, but I do not know anyone at Vizio so it’s in the hands of CE Week and Vizio.  One item I would not permit is if they want to supply the sample as we do not accept samples from any manufacturer so they would have to agree on me buying the TV from Best Buy or another retailer so we have all randomly selected TVs that are factory sealed and not cherry picked by anyone.

We also have a pre-qualification process to confirm that any TV put in the event is of a reasonable performance level as it’s no fun embarrassing any manufacturer.  Just one year I licensed the TV Shootout and an entry level, edge lit tv was supplied by the manufacturer and not aged to be stable or set-up properly to have their TV in the event. It was the stupidest thing to me and it brought down the value and quality of the event.  I believe Vizio’s Quantium -X is not in that category, but I’d like to take a quick look at any TV that will be considered before saying ok.  This event is at comparison of the best of the best.

KidHorn likes this.

Last edited by shoman94; 06-04-2019 at 06:43 AM.
post #71 of 428 Old 06-01-2019, 04:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked: 1116
Considering the fact, the PQ-X doesn't have any wide angle viewing enhancements. Is being reported, having banding and posterization issues, similar to the 2018 PQ. May turn out being an embarrassing moment for Vizio.

The specs are great 75" has 480 zones, 3000 nits of peak brightness, 97% of P3 gamut and 80% of Rec.2020.

Still not really, enough to compete with the Z9F, Q90R, E9.

I would like to see Dolby Vision and HDR10+ comparisons. With a push for 12 bit panels or 10 bit with dithering (FRC).

Sent from my SM-G550T1 using Tapatalk
post #72 of 428 Old 06-02-2019, 05:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post
so sad
Science is sad?
Please, explain how a 2019 LG OLED with{or without the BFI they promised) is better than a CRT or Kuro Plasma when it comes to motion ?
post #73 of 428 Old 06-02-2019, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
I read this Sony OLED review...it stated ''i have not seen 24fps motion like that in a while''...so forget about LG having better motion than Sony for a while...
Which review was that? I feel Sony OLEDs have the best presentation of 24fps material with their 48Hz BFI mode (which no other OLED manufacturer offers AFAIK) and the closest to what film is supposed to look like. I haven't seen film look this cinematic since watching Blu-ray on the Kuro. Yes, there is some flicker in very bright scenes, but I've gotten used to it.

The standard 5:5 playback may not have judder, but it never looks particularly "filmic" either.

Sony 55A9F
LG 55B6
post #74 of 428 Old 06-02-2019, 06:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2423 Post(s)
Liked: 1417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micolash View Post
Which review was that? I feel Sony OLEDs have the best presentation of 24fps material with their 48Hz BFI mode (which no other OLED manufacturer offers AFAIK) and the closest to what film is supposed to look like. I haven't seen film look this cinematic since watching Blu-ray on the Kuro. Yes, there is some flicker in very bright scenes, but I've gotten used to it.

The standard 5:5 playback may not have judder, but it never looks particularly "filmic" either.
That was a avforums review. It was 24fps judder related btw.

motion handling
'' the way the AF8 handles 24fps material without introducing judder is amongst the best we have seen for some time.''
https://www.avforums.com/review/sony...8-review.14562
Quote:
Originally Posted by locomo
Science is sad?
Please, explain how a 2019 LG OLED with{or without the BFI they promised) is better than a CRT or Kuro Plasma when it comes to motion ?
What i mean is that it is sad that they have not seen good 24fps motion (without introducing judder) in a while. Been reading about OLED and its problems with low frame rate, folks say it is Sample&Hold combined with OLEDs fast response time related . Shurely motion on Plasma and CRT is excellent but those are no longer being reviewed.

Thought about it the other day. Since we have several TV techs now reviewers should use that to demonstrate strength and weaknesses of reviewed TVs, that will put things in perspective.
post #75 of 428 Old 06-02-2019, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
Whats the best way to sign up to attend, register for CE Week? Before it was just an email to Robert.

Robert can register anyone who wants to attend the TV Shootout with an all access pass to everything at CE Week, including the panel discussions.  He has a special link that gets them a VIP badge and there is no charge.  The badges will be pre-printed and available for p/u at the registration desk.

The best method is by emailing him, rzohn at valueelectronics dot com and put in the subject line TV Shootout registration request.

helvetica bold and mbroadus like this.

Last edited by shoman94; 06-02-2019 at 07:16 PM.
post #76 of 428 Old 06-02-2019, 07:29 PM

Quote:
That was a avforums review. It was 24fps judder related btw.

motion handling
'' the way the AF8 handles 24fps material without introducing judder is amongst the best we have seen for some time.''
https://www.avforums.com/review/sony...8-review.14562

What i mean is that it is sad that they have not seen good 24fps motion (without introducing judder) in a while. Been reading about OLED and its problems with low frame rate, folks say it is Sample&Hold combined with OLEDs fast response time related . Shurely motion on Plasma and CRT is excellent but those are no longer being reviewed.

Thought about it the other day. Since we have several TV techs now reviewers should use that to demonstrate strength and weaknesses of reviewed TVs, that will put things in perspective.
I don't think it's that simple. CRT and plasma flash each frame rather than displaying the entire frame at once before moving to the next one like a cinema projector does. I think sample and hold displays combined with BFI seems like the best way to emulate how movies look like in theaters, at least on paper.

Sony 55A9F
LG 55B6
post #77 of 428 Old 06-03-2019, 06:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't think it's that simple. CRT and plasma flash each frame rather than displaying the entire frame at once before moving to the next one like a cinema projector does. I think sample and hold displays combined with BFI seems like the best way to emulate how movies look like in theaters, at least on paper.
I was talking about 24fps motion not cinematic look. I read in OLED reviews about stutter, mini stutter, frame skipping and stroboscope effect (lower frame rate content).

Aside for avforums flatpanelshd was also very positive about the AF8 motion performance.
''...This setting significantly reduced the infamous stroboscope effect that often shows up with low frame rate video content (such as 24fps movies) on OLED TVs. All in all, this is a very convincing result and without doubt the best motion performance that we have seen on any OLED TV to date. Motion on OLED takes another step forward.''
https://www.flatpanelshd.com/review....&id=1523863026
post #78 of 428 Old 06-03-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
I was talking about 24fps motion not cinematic look. I read in OLED reviews about stutter, mini stutter, frame skipping and stroboscope effect (lower frame rate content).

Aside for avforums flatpanelshd was also very positive about the AF8 motion performance.
''...This setting significantly reduced the infamous stroboscope effect that often shows up with low frame rate video content (such as 24fps movies) on OLED TVs. All in all, this is a very convincing result and without doubt the best motion performance that we have seen on any OLED TV to date. Motion on OLED takes another step forward.''
https://www.flatpanelshd.com/review....&id=1523863026
Not sure what these guys are talking about. A8F and A1E have the same exact motion settings, one is not better than the other.

Any TV can insert fake frames to "smooth" out 24 fps. I would imagine most of us here when watching film prefer to watch it as close as possible to the way it was created and the way it is shown in theaters. Very few TVs have gotten that right.

Sony 55A9F
LG 55B6
post #79 of 428 Old 06-03-2019, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Not sure what these guys are talking about. A8F and A1E have the same exact motion settings, one is not better than the other.

Any TV can insert fake frames to "smooth" out 24 fps.
Just because the motion settings are the same does not mean by definition that the effect is the same on 2017 and 2018 models.

Several reviewers agree that the AF8 does motion somewhat better than other OLEDs. Also plenty of reviewers agree that Sony does motion interpolation better than competition.
post #80 of 428 Old 06-03-2019, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post
So, there's no way to do a quick and dirty auto calibration? Just use a camera connected to a computer hooked up to the TV.

And even if it was manual, there's no way it would add hundreds of dollars to the cost. TVs made in China would cost $10 more at most.
There must be a way. For many years now Dell monitors with "U" in the model name (Ultrasharps) have been factory calibrated. Each monitor even comes with a printout of that specific monitor's calibration results.

Example:

If factory calibration cost $500-$700, then Dell must love selling monitors for a loss.
post #81 of 428 Old 06-03-2019, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Just because the motion settings are the same does not mean by definition that the effect is the same on 2017 and 2018 models.

Several reviewers agree that the AF8 does motion somewhat better than other OLEDs. Also plenty of reviewers agree that Sony does motion interpolation better than competition.
I haven't seen any reviewer conclude that the A8F does motion better than the A1E, other than the one you linked to.

My point about frame interpolation wasn't which brand does it best. You can't turn on frame creation and then claim you are displaying 24 fps "correctly". By definition it is incorrect, whether you like the result or not.

Sony 55A9F
LG 55B6
post #82 of 428 Old 06-03-2019, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I haven't seen any reviewer conclude that the A8F does motion better than the A1E, other than the one you linked to.
Flatpanelshd and avforums, i did not check others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micolash
My point about frame interpolation wasn't which brand does it best. You can't turn on frame creation and then claim you are displaying 24 fps "correctly". By definition it is incorrect, whether you like the result or not.
I understand that purists feel that way but in practice when there are no side effects like SOE or when side effects/SOE has hardly any impact it does not matter no more...any correct/incorrect discussion becomes irrelevant.
Pfeffernuss likes this.
post #83 of 428 Old 06-03-2019, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actionable Mango View Post
There must be a way. For many years now Dell monitors with "U" in the model name (Ultrasharps) have been factory calibrated. Each monitor even comes with a printout of that specific monitor's calibration results.

Example:

If factory calibration cost $500-$700, then Dell must love selling monitors for a loss.
100% agree. My 2 LG Monitors came with the same data sheets. Perceptually they look exact time the same.

Actionable Mango likes this.

post #84 of 428 Old 06-03-2019, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD23 View Post
Nothing against the Z9F, but I'm surprised it is being included given that it was in the shootout last year and did not win. I assume that the A9G and C9 will not be inferior to last year's models.
"Not winning" in these shootouts really doesn't mean much when the vote totals are close. People put way too much into that. I've been to most of the shootouts and every set had advantages and disadvantages. Each year, there was usually one set that was awful, but most of there rest were pretty close. One of the problems is that the voting isn't blind - you know the make and model that you're voting for and there's an inherent bias with people voting for brands/models they like. Also, you have to leave your seats to see the sets properly and some people don't bother.
mbroadus likes this.
post #85 of 428 Old 06-03-2019, 04:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Of course they get calibrated..

Right on the assembly line, it is a production step..

In this second video you can see a great example.. The usual grey scale test pattern, the meter reads the screen, and on top of there is a screen where you can see that some Data is outputed and propably saved onto the TV..

What they dont do is make readings for every picture mode. They will rather make one reading, and then use this for every picture mode, gamma setting, color, etc.. And this is where the deviation from 100% reference comes from.. Because of the long experience these companies have, ( Millions tv sets each year), they sure know how to messue and get good results with the least amout of steps in production line..

Because Oleds and Qleds are premium price product, they for sure can make more messurements and therefore get a more accurate picture..
Actionable Mango likes this.

2013 Panasonic TX-P42STW60 PDP
2009 Panasonic TX-P42S10E PDP
post #86 of 428 Old 06-03-2019, 06:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 95
I believe Scott Wilkerson will be the MC for the event and there will be 2 8K sets there but not part of the shoot out. But hopes next year will include the 8K
Ted99 and shoman94 like this.

Reggie Basement: Sony 75" 4K 940D/Marantz AV8802A & MM8077 & MM7055/GoldenEar:Reference (Front) Triton Ones(Rear),/SuperCenter XXL center channel/ 4 GoldenEar Atmos Invisa 650/Oppo BDP-205/Directv HS-17 and C61K/Roku 4K Family Room:LG 65" OLED/Marantz AV8802A & MM8077/ Vandersteen Treo Front/ GoldEar SuperSat60 Surround/ Directv HS-17 and C61K
post #87 of 428 Old 06-05-2019, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiguy3 View Post
I believe Scott Wilkerson will be the MC for the event and there will be 2 8K sets there but not part of the shoot out. But hopes next year will include the 8K
Yes sir!

post #88 of 428 Old 06-05-2019, 05:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2293 Post(s)
Liked: 593
They really need to have to Vizio Quantum X in the shootout by any means necessary..LOL

Some people are going to buy LCD's anyway...and frankly only look at them
If they include it in the shootout then it can provide a value statement to the Sony and Samsung entries....similar to what the LG E8 did with the Sony A9 last year

If the Vizio is 95% of the performance( or more) of the Sony and Samsung and is 35-40% less.....that will be a statement in a big way

Warren

Rm 1 LG65E7 Marantz 8802A prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A and HK PA2400 amps B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM6's.rears
Rm 2 Sony 49x900E Denon X7200 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Sony 55x930E Yamaha A1060 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Sony 65Z9D
post #89 of 428 Old 06-06-2019, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:
I read this Sony OLED review...it stated ''i have not seen 24fps motion like that in a while''...so forget about LG having better motion than Sony for a while...
"As for motion in general, LG's TruMotion system took a big step last year with the introduction of the 'Alpha 9' processor. LG explains that it has made some tweaks to its motion compensation algorithm in the second generation of the processor found in LG C9, E9, W9, Z9, and R9. Last year, we had a chance to compare LG C8 and Sony A8F side-by-side and this year we had a chance to compare LG C9 and Sony A9G side-by-side. Last year, we concluded that LG had more or less caught up with Sony who has been leading the pack for years. The tweaks to TruMotion do not change our conclusion. LG's TruMotion system is much better than it used to be (years ago) but set it too high and you will still encounter the soap opera effect."

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/review....d=1559035462#5
(technically speaking it's still not deemed better than Sony of course)
post #90 of 428 Old 06-06-2019, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

YouTuber SpareChange will take care of the live feed of the 2019 TV Shootout. Worldwide viewers can see, hear, ask questions and comment live during the entire event.

Here’s the link to register for the 2019 TV Shootout: 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page