AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   OLED Technology and Flat Panels General (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/)
-   -   Value Electronics 2019 TV Shootout evaluation event June 12, 2019 (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/3070164-value-electronics-2019-tv-shootout-evaluation-event-june-12-2019-a.html)

shoman94 05-29-2019 05:51 AM

Value Electronics 2019 TV Shootout evaluation event June 12, 2019

Value Electronics signed on to host the 2019 TV Shootout evaluation event with CE Week NY at the Jacob Javits on Wednesday, June 12, 2019. This year they are bringing in Joel Silver, Scott Wilkinson, Kevin Miller and John Reformato to calibrate the displays, moderate the event and be part of our special VIP presenters program. This year’s TV Shootout is different as we are seeing much different levels of advancements from each of the TVs in various elements of video performance. The testing, methodology and new testing equipment from the professional AV Pro Store provided by Matt Murray we’re able to more accurately measure and put up more accurate test patterns.

There will be a panel of expert judges that are made up of Hollywood Post Production colorists, finishers, respected TV reviewers and video engineers. They will also have the public voting and they will publish the voting results of the professional judges and video enthusiasts public who attend.

I have received confirmation that they will be scoring OOTB {factory Cal} in all of the picture quality attributes, e.g. color fidelity, color saturation, color volume, contrast, and motion resolution. They will put all of the TVs in the best picture quality mode, but not calibrated.  

They are also evaluating and voting on FHD/SDR performance in high and low ambient light conditions.

The published summary results that will be made available on the final summary voting ballot form can be customized to the user's preferences.

--For example if someone is only interested in an LCD display they can simply cross out the two OLED TVs and use the chart to compare just the LCD TVs. If budget is the objective just cross out the one or more highest priced TVs and use the ballot chart to determine which TV suites your budget best.
--One more example is to determine which picture attribute is most important, like motion resolution, or color fidelity or input lag, again use the summary ballot as a matrix chart to determine which TV best matches your specific liking.

They are planning to webcast the event live and have a moderated chat room so off site viewers can participate in the event.

I'm told that they will be displaying and demonstrating a preview of the next generation of 8K HDR TVs in the TV Shootout room from Sony and Samsung.

As of this moment the following 65" TVs confirmed for the 2019 TV Shootout:

LG’s C9
Samsung’s Q90R
Sony’s A9G
Sony’s Z9F

They will have the Sony BVM-X300 at the shootout again this year to reference to.

YouTuber SpareChange will take care of the live feed of the 2019 TV Shootout. The channel will be moderated by the channel owner Shane so Worldwide viewers can see, hear, ask questions and comment live during the entire event.

Here’s the link to register for the 2019 TV Shootout:

For anyone that would like to attend the shootout:

Robert can register anyone who wants to attend the TV Shootout with an all access pass to everything at CE Week, including the panel discussions.  He has a special link that gets them a VIP badge and there is no charge.  The badges will be pre-printed and available for p/u at the registration desk.

The best method is by emailing him, rzohn at valueelectronics dot com and put in the subject line TV Shootout registration request.

BTW, he is on the 8K Panel discussion with a great group of executives and he'd love for anyone attending the TV Shootout to also attend the Thursday, June 13th 8K Panel discussion.

PLEASE keep this thread civil! This is not a bashing thread for the TVs, Event or the people involved.

Gillietalls 05-29-2019 11:07 AM

They had the BVM-X300 last year. Wish they would have chose one of the LCD monitors (Dolby Pulsar, BVM-HX310, FSI-XM311K, ProArt PA32UCX, or etc) this year...

shoman94 05-29-2019 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gillietalls (Post 58113704)
They had the BVM-X300 last year. Wish they would have chose one of the LCD monitors (Dolby Pulsar, BVM-HX310, FSI-XM311K, ProArt PA32UCX, or etc) this year...

I agree, I was hoping for this also. They tried to get the a BVM-HX310 but couldn't.

KidHorn 05-29-2019 11:50 AM

I predict pretty much a repeat of last year. Nothing much has changed.

JD23 05-29-2019 12:39 PM

Spoiler alert: The contestants will consist of the A9G, C9, and Q90R and either the A9G or C9 will win.

New_to_4K 05-29-2019 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD23 (Post 58114100)
Spoiler alert: The contestants will consist of the A9G, C9, and Q90R and either the A9G or C9 will win.

E9 will participate not C9. Last year they had E8.

shoman94 05-29-2019 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD23 (Post 58114100)

I will post the TV's once it is finalized. [emoji6]

I do agree though that the pros in the industry prefer OLED for one main reason and don't seem to care about the cons.

Personally I'd like to see this competition be about out of the box too. IMO 90+% of people do not calibrate their TV so factory setup is a big deal.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Stuntman_Mike 05-29-2019 02:21 PM

Cool. I'll be in Egypt during that time, but I'll read all about it when I'm back. Probably can guess what the order will be once the entrants are listed, though.

shoman94 05-29-2019 02:45 PM

Updated OP with confirmed displays and some additional info about the shootout.

egrady 05-29-2019 02:47 PM

If you're going to have a shoot out, make it a real shootout. Include the Sony Z9G. The Z9F, yecch!

shoman94 05-29-2019 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by egrady (Post 58114746)
If you're going to have a shoot out, make it a real shootout. Include the Sony Z9G. The Z9F, yecch!

The Z9F did amazing at last years shootout and will perform well again. The Z9G is only available in 85/98" sizes and the pricing is unrealistic for a consumer shootout IMO. Also please no bashing. I want this thread to remain open.

drewTT 05-29-2019 03:05 PM

Ms. Cleo says OLED wins...again.

JD23 05-29-2019 03:07 PM

Nothing against the Z9F, but I'm surprised it is being included given that it was in the shootout last year and did not win. I assume that the A9G and C9 will not be inferior to last year's models.

shoman94 05-29-2019 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD23 (Post 58114834)
Nothing against the Z9F, but I'm surprised it is being included given that it was in the shootout last year and did not win. I assume that the A9G and C9 will not be inferior to last year's models.

I think it's important since it is still Sony's flagship LCD in that size and because the way the shootout will be scored, as explained in the OP, will allow consumers to adjust the results so they can look at what is important to them and no just an overall what's important to the judges. After all scoring and reviews are typically opinion based with some available hard data.

boe 05-29-2019 03:19 PM

I'm interested in the motion results for the LG vs the Sony now that the LG got a new chip. I thought the Sony looked better last year but have not seen this years model.

8mile13 05-29-2019 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boe (Post 58114906)
I'm interested in the motion results for the LG vs the Sony now that the LG got a new chip. I thought the Sony looked better last year but have not seen this years model.

I read this Sony OLED review...it stated ''i have not seen 24fps motion like that in a while''...so forget about LG having better motion than Sony for a while...

jrref 05-29-2019 04:09 PM

I believe the plan is to rate the OLEDs separately from the LCDs this time around.

locomo 05-29-2019 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8mile13 (Post 58115080)
I read this Sony OLED review...it stated ''i have not seen 24fps motion like that in a while''...so forget about LG having better motion than Sony for a while...

“In a while “ ? What plasma or CRT were they referring?

Menarini 05-29-2019 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gillietalls (Post 58113704)

The BVM-X300 has been discontinued by sony, dont know why they are sticking to it. Pulsar is an amazing monitor though something to keep in mind is pulsar is a 42" 1080p monitor, not 4k even though its peak brightness and color accuracy is amazing and probably the best of all pro monitors out there. Panasonic recently held an event together with dolby where panasonic demonstrated their flagship tv running side by side to the dolby pulsar to show how close their tv could look compared to it (there is a video out there). From the choices available, i would have liked the pulsar too, but since dolby is not involved in the value electronics event, procuring a pulsar monitor would have been hard, it's available in very limited numbers and costs 30k+ if bought.

Since they are using the bvm-x300 again, my guess is that the sony master series oled (a9g) could have a tiny advantage (even post calibration?) when looking at and comparing both side by side because sony fine tunes their master series tv's to closely resemble the bvm-x300, the OOTB whitepoint on the a9g is matched to their bvm-x300 monitor.

8mile13 05-29-2019 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by locomo (Post 58115148)
“In a while “ ? What plasma or CRT were they referring?

so sad:(

Menarini 05-29-2019 04:38 PM

Everyone can see that from the choices available, the competition for best tv will be between the two oleds - lg c9/e9 vs sony a9g. the lg will be the better gaming category tv. best home theater tv and overall best tv i would wager on the a9g, but we'll see. Lg has closed the video processing gap.

mbroadus 05-29-2019 06:53 PM

Looking forward to it!

ttnuagmada 05-29-2019 11:02 PM

No Quantum X?

shoman94 05-30-2019 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ttnuagmada (Post 58116520)
No Quantum X?

As stated in the OP, other displays are being looked at and the list will be updated if more are included.

New_to_4K 05-30-2019 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrref (Post 58115136)
I believe the plan is to rate the OLEDs separately from the LCDs this time around.

Why? Samsung positioned Q90 against OLED, it is only fair if it is compared against OLED.

Should include Quantum X in the shootout too.

Menarini 05-30-2019 02:18 AM

OP reads the "panel of expert judges that are made up of hollywood post production colorists..."
And yet the tv that hollywood colorists prefer over all these other included tv's won't be present at the shootout. the ez1000 is still part of hollywood color grading suites and im sure they are anticipating the gz2000 this year. hollywood's preference is panasonic..not samsung sony or lg.

ttnuagmada 05-30-2019 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Menarini (Post 58116690)
OP reads the "panel of expert judges that are made up of hollywood post production colorists..."
And yet the tv that hollywood colorists prefer over all these other included tv's won't be present at the shootout. the ez1000 is still part of hollywood color grading suites and im sure they are anticipating the gz2000 this year. hollywood's preference is panasonic..not samsung sony or lg.

Considering anyone attending and probably most people watching wouldn't even be able to purchase that set, it doesn't seem like a very good idea to include it.

Menarini 05-30-2019 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ttnuagmada (Post 58116702)
Considering anyone attending and probably most people watching wouldn't even be able to purchase that set, it doesn't seem like a very good idea to include it.

Panasonic is available in u.s. if you are a professional linked to hollywood, work for THX, ISF etc. There are a couple of videos on YT showing hollywood colorists having a panasonic oled in their grading suite. In the consumer market in u.s. it's not available, in the professional industry it is. Outside the u.s. it is available in consumer market.

ttnuagmada 05-30-2019 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Menarini (Post 58116716)
Panasonic is available in u.s. if you are a professional linked to hollywood, work for THX, ISF etc. There are a couple of videos on YT showing hollywood colorists having a panasonic oled in their grading suite. In the consumer market in u.s. it's not available, in the professional industry it is. Outside the u.s. it is available in consumer market.

This shootout isn't intended for the professionals. It's intended for the public. Professionals are being brought in to rate products available to the public.

BillP 05-30-2019 04:40 AM

They never include Panasonic because it is not available to consumers in the US. Period. The EU has its own shoot-out.