LG C9 eARC Info Thread - Page 24 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 167Likes

post #691 of 738 Old 09-19-2019, 10:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi apologies, i got a bit lost i this thread.

I have LG C9 and planning to buy Denon avr X1600h.

Can someone give me a straight yes/no answer to my question:
Will I be able to fully utilise the eARC while having control of the avr (volume) via my TV remote Control?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 738 Old 09-19-2019, 11:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miroslav Mancel View Post
Will I be able to fully utilise the eARC while having control of the avr (volume) via my TV remote Control?
Yes, Denon AVR-X1600H is a 2019 model and is compatible with the C9 eARC and controllable via CEC.
post #693 of 738 Old 09-20-2019, 07:39 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Response - issue is being looked at: Sevenoaks Audio / Denon

Hello,

I was thinking about getting a C9, but rather thrown by this thread as have a 6500h and was looking forward to Netflix Atmos run from the TV app, not currently supported by nVidia Shield.

I got in touch with Sevenoaks Sound and Audio (where I purchased the 6500h less than 2 yrs ago so still technically under warranty) and I referenced the issues outlined in this thread. I said that I was in effect forced to upgrade to a 6500h just to get a feature I have already paid for, and asking for their solutions - like a trade-

They have actually been quite helpful so far and responsive. Latest response is quoted as follows:

“ Your feedback has gone all the way back to [Denon] technical support and developers in Germany where they will be testing this.”

So maybe they were not aware of this problem; they might fix it, or at least if they acknowledge this issue they might offer a reasonably priced trade-up...

We’ll see what happens next...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #694 of 738 Old 09-20-2019, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Morris View Post
Hello,

I was thinking about getting a C9, but rather thrown by this thread as have a 6500h and was looking forward to Netflix Atmos run from the TV app, not currently supported by nVidia Shield.

I got in touch with Sevenoaks Sound and Audio (where I purchased the 6500h less than 2 yrs ago so still technically under warranty) and I referenced the issues outlined in this thread. I said that I was in effect forced to upgrade to a 6500h just to get a feature I have already paid for, and asking for their solutions - like a trade-

They have actually been quite helpful so far and responsive. Latest response is quoted as follows:

“ Your feedback has gone all the way back to [Denon] technical support and developers in Germany where they will be testing this.”

So maybe they were not aware of this problem; they might fix it, or at least if they acknowledge this issue they might offer a reasonably priced trade-up...

We’ll see what happens next...
Why are you left with the impression that the 6500H does not work? I'm not aware of anyone having reported into this thread that eARC on the 6500H does not work with the LG C9.
dfa973 likes this.
post #695 of 738 Old 09-20-2019, 07:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miroslav Mancel View Post
Hi apologies, i got a bit lost i this thread.

Thanks
Yes, you will be able to do that. You should not see the Denon's volume indicator (horizontal bar), but you should see on the right of your screen, a plus (+) and a minus (-) sign, one of which will blink on as you press one of the C9's remote controller's volume control buttons.
post #696 of 738 Old 09-21-2019, 01:13 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
Why are you left with the impression that the 6500H does not work? I'm not aware of anyone having reported into this thread that eARC on the 6500H does not work with the LG C9.
Sorry, I am a complete idiot. I meant to say I have a 6400!
post #697 of 738 Old 09-22-2019, 02:17 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Hi guys, I’m newbie here. Can someone tell me will it work properly? Lg c9+hdmi 2.1 +soundbar with earc support, also I’m planning to buy ps5. I wanna know will all this new features work properly.
“C9 does not support 5.1 and 7.1 PCM audio” it means we should wait OS update from LG? Or this feature won’t work on c9?
Sorry for my broken English.
post #698 of 738 Old 09-22-2019, 03:04 AM

Also, can you tell me please which soundbar should I buy for c9 with hdmi 2.1 eARC support?
post #699 of 738 Old 09-22-2019, 03:48 AM

Is it worth to buy Sony ht xf9000 for Lgc9? This soundbar supports earc.
post #700 of 738 Old 09-23-2019, 06:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Denon AVR-X6400H is known to NOT work with the C9. More details here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zohan View Post
“C9 does not support 5.1 and 7.1 PCM audio” it means we should wait OS update from LG? Or this feature won’t work on c9?
There are some signs that at the end of 2019 there will be an eARC related firmware update, but we do not know for sure if this update will resolve the multi-channel LPCM via eARC issue. More details here.

Quote:
Also, can you tell me please which soundbar should I buy for c9 with hdmi 2.1 eARC support?
A list of eARC soundbars is here, but I can't make any recommendation, because I do not use any kind of soundbar.

Quote:
Only you can judge if is worthy or not.
post #701 of 738 Old 09-23-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfa973 View Post
Quote:
Denon AVR-X6400H is known to NOT work with the C9. More details here.

Quote:
“C9 does not support 5.1 and 7.1 PCM audio” it means we should wait OS update from LG? Or this feature won’️t work on c9?
There are some signs that at the end of 2019 there will be an eARC related firmware update, but we do not know for sure if this update will resolve the multi-channel LPCM via eARC issue. More details here.

Quote:
A list of eARC soundbars is here, but I can't make any recommendation, because I do not use any kind of soundbar.

Quote:
Only you can judge if is worthy or not.
Thank you for your answer man. If not soundbar what should I buy to fulfil eARC? I have no experience in these things.
post #702 of 738 Old 09-23-2019, 01:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you for your answer man. If not soundbar what should I buy to fulfil eARC? I have no experience in these things.
First, why do you think you need eARC?
What is your use case?
post #703 of 738 Old 09-23-2019, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Quote:
First, why do you think you need eARC?
What is your use case?
watching 4K movies and playing games(waiting for ps5) also I can’t imagine my life without classical music(Bach, Debussy, Schubert). I have Apple Music subscription on my iPhone. I would say classical music playing on piano more important for me than movies and games. Perhaps, I shouldn’t mix all this things together I wanna buy something that I can use for TV which supports earc and also I wanna use it for listening classical music through my iPhone. I hope you understand what I’m taking about. I have bad English, sorry.
post #704 of 738 Old 09-23-2019, 08:39 PM

talking*
post #705 of 738 Old 09-23-2019, 09:06 PM

I’m going to pay for c9 about 2500 euro, this is why I wanna realize its full potential, to get the maximum profit out of this TV.
post #706 of 738 Old 09-24-2019, 12:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I’m going to pay for c9 about 2500 euro, this is why I wanna realize its full potential, to get the maximum profit out of this TV.
1. As a home user - making a profit out of a TV does not make sense - the TV is just an expense, just like a car.
2. Do not make a purchase based on future use cases (regarding the PS5 or anything in general) - things can be very different when the new consoles will appear on the market. Right now, the PS5 specs are very hazy.
3. The C9 eARC works well with compressed audio formats (lossy or lossless) but less so with uncompressed audio (LPCM). Maybe it will be added in the future. But maybe not (see point 2).
4. Sony's consoles do not support standard immersive audio - like Dolby Atmos or DTS:X - and is not a sure thing that the PS5 will do that - instead, there are signs that the PS5 will support another immersive audio format (360 Reality Audio???) that the C9 probably will not support (see point 2).
5. The C9 is perfect for movies and games, but it is more suited to be used along an Xbox (ALLM, Atmos, Vision, VRR) or a PC (GSYNC, Atmos) than a Sony PS.
6. Nobody is in a hurry to implement HDMI 2.1 on graphic cards, receivers, soundbars, monitors and TV's in general. Based on the actual pace, there are chances that 2021 to be "The HDMI 2.1 year", not 2020... What we see now is just a slow start because making hardware is hard.
post #707 of 738 Old 09-24-2019, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I’️m going to pay for c9 about 2500 euro, this is why I wanna realize its full potential, to get the maximum profit out of this TV.
1. As a home user - making a profit out of a TV does not make sense - the TV is just an expense, just like a car.
2. Do not make a purchase based on future use cases (regarding the PS5 or anything in general) - things can be very different when the new consoles will appear on the market. Right now, the PS5 specs are very hazy.
3. The C9 eARC works well with compressed audio formats (lossy or lossless) but less so with uncompressed audio (LPCM). Maybe it will be added in the future. But maybe not (see point 2).
4. Sony's consoles do not support standard immersive audio - like Dolby Atmos or DTS:X - and is not a sure thing that the PS5 will do that - instead, there are signs that the PS5 will support another immersive audio format (360 Reality Audio???) that the C9 probably will not support (see point 2).
5. The C9 is perfect for movies and games, but it is more suited to be used along an Xbox (ALLM, Atmos, Vision, VRR) or a PC (GSYNC, Atmos) than a Sony PS.
6. Nobody is in a hurry to implement HDMI 2.1 on graphic cards, receivers, soundbars, monitors and TV's in general. Based on the actual pace, there are chances that 2021 to be "The HDMI 2.1 year", not 2020... What we see now is just a slow start because making hardware is hard.
Ok I got it, thank for your full answer.
post #708 of 738 Old 09-24-2019, 07:20 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Nobody in this thread has tested the XF9000 eARC with the C9 yet, but it will likely work. Most people on AVS aren't real excited about soundbars (some of the people in this forum spent $50,000+ on their audio equipment).

The good news: It should sound better than the built in speakers, take not much space and be easy to set up.
The bad news: It is a simple stereo (2.1) sound system emulating surround sound, so it is hard to say how much you will get from the eARC (which is why they are asking what you want from eARC).

When I decided to buy a C9, I originally intended to buy a similar soundbar. In the end, I decided a soundbar just wasn't going to be enough for me. I ended up paying almost as much for my audio equipment as I did for the tv. Fortunately my wife knows how much I love my tv, so she told me to go for it. (My equipment is listed below in the signature.) I will likely spend another $2500 over the next couple years adding in 4 more ceiling speakers, another subwoofer and upgrading my AVR (making it a 5.2.6 system). In the end, I will have spent twice as much on audio as I did on the tv. But, this audio equipment will probably last me through 3 tvs.

Only you know how much money you have left after you buy the tv, so only you can decide what is worth it for you. It is all too easy to go into debt buying audio/video equipment.

I know you don't want to hear about more ways to spend money on your tv, but I also spent $600 for a pro calibration (from Jrref), which I consider to be money well spent. A lot of people spend a lot of time tweaking the settings trying to get the most out of their tvs, and I have not had to deal with that this time around. I think you said you live in Europe, so you won't be able to get Jrref or D-Nice, but you might be able to get Vincent Teoh to calibrate your tv. I have no idea how much he charges, or if he will travel to whatever country you live in (he is in England).

LG 65" C9; Denon AVR-S750H
5.1.2: Emotiva Airmotiv C2, T-Zero (x2), E1 (x4); HSU VTF-2
post #709 of 738 Old 09-24-2019, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
watching 4K movies and playing games(waiting for ps5) also I can’t imagine my life without classical music(Bach, Debussy, Schubert). I have Apple Music subscription on my iPhone. I would say classical music playing on piano more important for me than movies and games. Perhaps, I shouldn’t mix all this things together I wanna buy something that I can use for TV which supports earc and also I wanna use it for listening classical music through my iPhone. I hope you understand what I’m taking about. I have bad English, sorry.
I don't see a use case for classical music and eARC.

For 4K movies the only situation where eARC matters is if you own a 4K disc player you will connect to the TV or sound bar.... streaming movies do not support high resolution audio.

Your use case for eARC seems "weak" but you can get whatever you want... I understand a desire to somewhat future proof an expensive purchase. If I didn't care about HDMI 2.1 features I on C9 I likely would have bought the Sony OLED.
post #710 of 738 Old 09-24-2019, 07:40 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
For 4K movies the only situation where eARC matters is if you own a 4K disc player you will connect to the TV or sound bar.... streaming movies do not support high resolution audio
4k bluray is not the only way to get HD audio to the tv.

LG 65" C9; Denon AVR-S750H
5.1.2: Emotiva Airmotiv C2, T-Zero (x2), E1 (x4); HSU VTF-2
post #711 of 738 Old 09-24-2019, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
........also I can’t imagine my life without classical music(Bach, Debussy, Schubert). I have Apple Music subscription on my iPhone. I would say classical music playing on piano more important for me than movies and games. ........
Classical music has a certain demand on the audio system and most soundbars are NOT made for music, but for home theatre duties.
For classical music, you need real drivers working in real speakers.
Good speakers are not small for a reason.
Soundbars are great if you need to save space, money and you do not expect much from them.
post #712 of 738 Old 09-24-2019, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baff View Post
4k bluray is not the only way to get HD audio to the tv.
Okay sure. There's also the very narrow use case of a PC or high end media streamer that supports HD audio being used to stream a movie to the TV and have eARC pass it over to the AVR. I should have said that BD is the only "legal" way to do it, at least in the US.
post #713 of 738 Old 09-26-2019, 04:58 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Okay sure. There's also the very narrow use case of a PC or high end media streamer that supports HD audio being used to stream a movie to the TV and have eARC pass it over to the AVR. I should have said that BD is the only "legal" way to do it, at least in the US.
Also using internal TV player should be implemented in order to pass HD audio to AVR.
post #714 of 738 Old 09-26-2019, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello!

Owning a Denon 3400 and a C9 i contact german denon support about 4 weeks ago and asked if problem with non working earc on the 2017 series is known. They say no and told that they don't unterstand why it doesn't work on the 2017 series but do on 2018 series because both series were absolutely identical on HDMI-group(hardware) and on software. Told they will give the problem to the technical engineering.
Hope they are willing to / can fix it.

Greets from germany

Alexander
post #715 of 738 Old 09-27-2019, 05:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usch View Post
Told they will give the problem to the technical engineering.
Hope they are willing to / can fix it.
Thanks for report, maybe you can contact them in a month or two, to see if they are making progress...
post #716 of 738 Old 09-27-2019, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I will do that
post #717 of 738 Old 09-30-2019, 01:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just picked up the C9, now I gotta upgrade my receiver it seems

Any shortcomings going the Sony STR-DH790 route? It seems like the cheapest way to get something eARC enabled.

trying to figure out if it'd be worth it to spend an extra $100 on the Denon AVR-S750H
post #718 of 738 Old 09-30-2019, 06:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoglog View Post
Any shortcomings going the Sony STR-DH790 route?
None that we know.

Quote:
trying to figure out if it'd be worth it to spend an extra $100 on the Denon AVR-S750H
Reasons to go with the Denon AVR-S750H:
- 6 HDMI inputs in total (instead of 4)
- 1 HDMI input on the front panel (STR-DH790 has none);
- has a better room calibration system (Audyssey MultEQ - 6 mic positions);
- able to use the Audyssey MultEQ Editor app (iOS/Android; $20) for further correction to the room acoustic;
- has multi-room audio streaming HEOS system - very easy to send/control/play HQ music to the receiver or the whole house from a phone/tablet;
- more OPTICAL inputs;
- 2.0 pre-outs (STR-DH790 has none);
- better speakers connectors;
- Ethernet network support (STR-DH790 has none);
- Wi-Fi network support (STR-DH790 has none);
post #719 of 738 Old 09-30-2019, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
None that we know.

Reasons to go with the Denon AVR-S750H:
- 6 HDMI inputs in total (instead of 4)
- 1 HDMI input on the front panel (STR-DH790 has none);
- has a better room calibration system (Audyssey MultEQ - 6 mic positions);
- able to use the Audyssey MultEQ Editor app (iOS/Android; $20) for further correction to the room acoustic;
- has multi-room audio streaming HEOS system - very easy to send/control/play HQ music to the receiver or the whole house from a phone/tablet;
- more OPTICAL inputs;
- 2.0 pre-outs (STR-DH790 has none);
- better speakers connectors;
- Ethernet network support (STR-DH790 has none);
- Wi-Fi network support (STR-DH790 has none);

Thanks

Since in the future it sounds like I'd be taking advantage of eARC I wonder if it even matters that much for the pluses.

Do the non banana plug speaker connectors really affect quality that much?
post #720 of 738 Old 09-30-2019, 01:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Since in the future it sounds like I'd be taking advantage of eARC I wonder if it even matters that much for the pluses.
Only you cand judge that.

Quote:
Do the non banana plug speaker connectors really affect quality that much?
Depends on how good is the spring that holds the wire against the contact.
I have a 20 years old audio system with that type of speakers plugs that still works...
Zoglog likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page