LG C9 eARC Info Thread - Page 27 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 188Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #781 of 869 Old 10-26-2019, 11:24 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Anyone have any update if the new firmware 04.70.05 is now working with passing 5.1 PCM over eARC?

Been waiting and checking this thread so I can get a new receiver with eARC support but it doesn't make sense yet given that my gaming PC will be hooked straight to the TV to take advantage of G-Sync.

If anyone could please confirm it would be very appreciated.
Tygeezy likes this.
ShuaBlue is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #782 of 869 Old 10-27-2019, 01:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lujan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 9,198
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4776 Post(s)
Liked: 2806
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShuaBlue View Post
Anyone have any update if the new firmware 04.70.05 is now working with passing 5.1 PCM over eARC?

Been waiting and checking this thread so I can get a new receiver with eARC support but it doesn't make sense yet given that my gaming PC will be hooked straight to the TV to take advantage of G-Sync.

If anyone could please confirm it would be very appreciated.
I believe I read somewhere that LG has indicated not until early 2020 will there be 5.1 PCM over eARC.

lujan
581 Ultra HD
722 HD
4 SD
lujan is online now  
post #783 of 869 Old 10-27-2019, 01:43 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
I believe I read somewhere that LG has indicated not until early 2020 will there be 5.1 PCM over eARC.

It looks like you're right. LG responded to the original thread on their forums and stated 2nd quarter of 2020. Well, looks like I'll be waiting for a few months.
https://lgcommunity.us.com/discussio...c-pass-through


Thanks!
ShuaBlue is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #784 of 869 Old 10-27-2019, 04:30 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Can I ask you guys a question?

I tried using the TV's AirPlay to watch a movie with Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos.
The C9 played the movie flawlessly with Dolby Vision but even with eARC on, all I get is 5.1 surround to the AVR.
I tried playing the audio directly to the AVR. But that is event worst. The audio will be in Stereo.
This is without any Apple 4K TV box. But using the Apple AirPlay feature of the TV that is able to play Apple TV content.

Anyone had any luck playing content from the Apple TV app on your phone or iPad directly to the TV and get Atmos?
LiLAsN is offline  
post #785 of 869 Old 10-28-2019, 02:02 PM
Member
 
legends92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I'm picking up the new NVIDIA Shield Pro today which support pass-through of DTS-HD MA, TrueHD, and many other audio formats.

The Shield will connect to the TV. TV is connected to the Denon AVR-X3600H which supports eARC.

I'll be using Plex to play various MKV files. I am hoping all those audio formats pass-through without any hiccups.
legends92 is offline  
post #786 of 869 Old 10-28-2019, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lujan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 9,198
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4776 Post(s)
Liked: 2806
Quote:
Originally Posted by legends92 View Post
I'm picking up the new NVIDIA Shield Pro today which support pass-through of DTS-HD MA, TrueHD, and many other audio formats.

The Shield will connect to the TV. TV is connected to the Denon AVR-X3600H which supports eARC.

I'll be using Plex to play various MKV files. I am hoping all those audio formats pass-through without any hiccups.
I know this question is more for the Shield thread but since you're testing for Plex would you check if your home library files containing Dolby Vision now work on the new Shield? I know the earlier models only did HDR10 for the DV titles.

lujan
581 Ultra HD
722 HD
4 SD
lujan is online now  
post #787 of 869 Old 10-28-2019, 02:07 PM
Member
 
legends92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
I know this question is more for the Shield thread but since you're testing for Plex would you check if your home library files containing Dolby Vision now work on the new Shield? I know the earlier models only did HDR10 for the DV titles.
Sure, let me check if I have any Dolby Vision content. If I don't, do you know a location I can download a sample file?
lujan likes this.
legends92 is offline  
post #788 of 869 Old 10-28-2019, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member
 
avernar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 581
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Tried the various output modes on my Xbox One X and here's what the Denon app said the input was:

DTS Digital Surround:
ARC: DTS
eARC: DTS

Dolby Digital:
ARC: Dolby Audio - DD
eARC: Dolby Audio - DD

Dolby Atmos for Home Theatre:
ARC: Dolby Atmos - DD+
eARC: Dolby Atmos

For comparison, Plex on Shield direct to AVR: Dolby Atmos - TrueHD
lujan and SuissoNaBisso like this.
avernar is online now  
post #789 of 869 Old 10-29-2019, 03:25 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 6
moving my post here

it was originally asked here in thread "OFFICIAL" 2019 LG C9 Consolidated Info, FAQ, Troubleshooting, Firmware & more

So my set up :
- LG 65C9 Oled TV with HDMI 2.1 and eARC
- Samsung HW-Q90R soundbar with Atmos decode, HDMI 2.0a
- Xbox One X

So I connected the soundbar to the TV via HDMI ARC (many websites mention there is eARC enable on this soundbar made available via a firmware update, mentioned by ThechRadar or Digital Trends), and Xbox One X is connected to the TV directly to leverage HDMI 2.1 features such as ALLm or VRR.

For the soundbar eARC, I've done many tests with apps directly on TV and I don't think eARC is really enable. Only Netflix can send Atmos to the soundbar (soundbar display the logo) but it's compressed DD+ Atmos, not a DD True HD Atmos.
With the LG tv configured to digital audio output on passthrough mode, when connecteing the Xbox One X also configured to out "Dolby Atmos for Home Theater" I also receive Atmos sound on the soundbar (logo being displayed on it) but I have a sync issue as I have a huge delay on audio !
And absolutely impossible to correct this delay through TV settings (AV sync) nor soundbar setting (SYNC).

But if I change the audio output from Xbox One X to Dolby Digital, then the sync issue disappear !

So my guess is that the Atmos audio can't be delivered properly from Xbox to soundbar through TV as this is not real eARC. Anyone else having this issue ? any possible fix existing ?
Or should we simply wait for Samsung to make the eARC update available as they promised ?

Thanks !
SuissoNaBisso is offline  
post #790 of 869 Old 10-29-2019, 05:12 PM
Newbie
 
DJ_GLiTCH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuissoNaBisso View Post
moving my post here

it was originally asked here in thread "OFFICIAL" 2019 LG C9 Consolidated Info, FAQ, Troubleshooting, Firmware & more

So my set up :
- LG 65C9 Oled TV with HDMI 2.1 and eARC
- Samsung HW-Q90R soundbar with Atmos decode, HDMI 2.0a
- Xbox One X

So I connected the soundbar to the TV via HDMI ARC (many websites mention there is eARC enable on this soundbar made available via a firmware update, mentioned by ThechRadar or Digital Trends), and Xbox One X is connected to the TV directly to leverage HDMI 2.1 features such as ALLm or VRR.

For the soundbar eARC, I've done many tests with apps directly on TV and I don't think eARC is really enable. Only Netflix can send Atmos to the soundbar (soundbar display the logo) but it's compressed DD+ Atmos, not a DD True HD Atmos.
With the LG tv configured to digital audio output on passthrough mode, when connecteing the Xbox One X also configured to out "Dolby Atmos for Home Theater" I also receive Atmos sound on the soundbar (logo being displayed on it) but I have a sync issue as I have a huge delay on audio !
And absolutely impossible to correct this delay through TV settings (AV sync) nor soundbar setting (SYNC).

But if I change the audio output from Xbox One X to Dolby Digital, then the sync issue disappear !

So my guess is that the Atmos audio can't be delivered properly from Xbox to soundbar through TV as this is not real eARC. Anyone else having this issue ? any possible fix existing ?
Or should we simply wait for Samsung to make the eARC update available as they promised ?

Thanks !
@SuissoNaBisso
Unfortunately, this is a well-known issue. I'd suggest reading dfa973's replies on page 26 of this thread for more details.
Alternatively, visit the LG Discussion below to learn more:
https://lgcommunity.us.com/discussio...lby-sources/p1
dfa973 likes this.
DJ_GLiTCH is offline  
post #791 of 869 Old 10-30-2019, 02:16 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_GLiTCH View Post
@SuissoNaBisso
Unfortunately, this is a well-known issue. I'd suggest reading dfa973's replies on page 26 of this thread for more details.
Alternatively, visit the LG Discussion below to learn more:
https://lgcommunity.us.com/discussio...lby-sources/p1
Ok I see all these points about Lip-Sync but the thing is that if I change the audio output of my Xbox from Dolby Digital I have absolutely no issues ! no sound delay, no Lip-Sync issue, nothing....BUT if I change this output to Dolby Atmos then the delay appear !
SuissoNaBisso is offline  
post #792 of 869 Old 10-30-2019, 02:17 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by avernar View Post
Tried the various output modes on my Xbox One X and here's what the Denon app said the input was:

DTS Digital Surround:
ARC: DTS
eARC: DTS

Dolby Digital:
ARC: Dolby Audio - DD
eARC: Dolby Audio - DD

Dolby Atmos for Home Theatre:
ARC: Dolby Atmos - DD+
eARC: Dolby Atmos

For comparison, Plex on Shield direct to AVR: Dolby Atmos - TrueHD
Thanks for testing ! and when you moved to Dolby Atmos format, have you noticed some Lip-Sync issues / audio delay when using ARC connection versus eARC ?

Thanks
SuissoNaBisso is offline  
post #793 of 869 Old 11-07-2019, 12:25 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 134
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuissoNaBisso View Post
Ok I see all these points about Lip-Sync but the thing is that if I change the audio output of my Xbox from Dolby Digital I have absolutely no issues ! no sound delay, no Lip-Sync issue, nothing....BUT if I change this output to Dolby Atmos then the delay appear !
I think we are all in the same boat with that one. I just ended up keeping the Xbox One X connected to my TV so I can take advantage of VRR and have it set to DTS Surround sound since Dolby Atmos introduces a delay. It sucks to have to make that trade off but that's where we're at.

LG 55C9PUA
Denon AVR-S930H Receiver
Philips BDP7502 UHD Bluray Player
Apple TV 4K - 32GB
PS4 Pro and Xbox One X
JohngPR is offline  
post #794 of 869 Old 11-07-2019, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jmpage2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,681
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuissoNaBisso View Post
Ok I see all these points about Lip-Sync but the thing is that if I change the audio output of my Xbox from Dolby Digital I have absolutely no issues ! no sound delay, no Lip-Sync issue, nothing....BUT if I change this output to Dolby Atmos then the delay appear !
There is a reason for that..... and it's sort of outside of LGs control to fix it.

The native soundtrack for most game audio tracks is LPCM. This format does not support lip sync correction, but since this is the native audio format it usually delivers with no sync issues (obviously not talking about eARC on C9 since it does not support the format).

When you choose something like dolby digital, typically the game console has to 'on-the-fly' re-encode the audio into this other audio format. This often introduces what is referred to as an encoding delay. How much delay depends on the console, implementation, etc. It's also possible that Dolby Digital is not sync corrected under HDMI 2.1 as part of eARC specification (just can't recall at the moment).

Other codecs that REQUIRE sync correction might have varying degrees of success... but the root issue is the game console doing on-the-fly encoding of audio and not advertising the needed sync correction timing information to other devices in the audio chain.
dfa973 likes this.
jmpage2 is online now  
post #795 of 869 Old 11-07-2019, 01:23 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
There is a reason for that..... and it's sort of outside of LGs control to fix it.

The native soundtrack for most game audio tracks is LPCM. This format does not support lip sync correction, but since this is the native audio format it usually delivers with no sync issues (obviously not talking about eARC on C9 since it does not support the format).

When you choose something like dolby digital, typically the game console has to 'on-the-fly' re-encode the audio into this other audio format. This often introduces what is referred to as an encoding delay. How much delay depends on the console, implementation, etc. It's also possible that Dolby Digital is not sync corrected under HDMI 2.1 as part of eARC specification (just can't recall at the moment).

Other codecs that REQUIRE sync correction might have varying degrees of success... but the root issue is the game console doing on-the-fly encoding of audio and not advertising the needed sync correction timing information to other devices in the audio chain.
And I contacted the Dolby support and they said, they just recommend to connect directly to the soundbar and no fix is planned for now to fix the issues when connecting to TV directly...
SuissoNaBisso is offline  
post #796 of 869 Old 11-07-2019, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jmpage2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,681
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuissoNaBisso View Post
And I contacted the Dolby support and they said, they just recommend to connect directly to the soundbar and no fix is planned for now to fix the issues when connecting to TV directly...
LG is supposed to start supporting LPCM through eARC sometime late this year or early next year. That has a pretty good shot of resolving the issue since the latency should be quite low between the console->-TV->AVR when the console is not re-encoding the audio.
dfa973 and SuissoNaBisso like this.
jmpage2 is online now  
post #797 of 869 Old 11-12-2019, 02:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dfa973's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: EU
Posts: 1,256
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 844 Post(s)
Liked: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_GLiTCH View Post
I purchased a LG SL8YG soundbar with my LG C9, which does offer lip-sync correction for the HDMI input on the soundbar. The problem is that almost all soundbars are limited to 1 or 2 x HDMI inputs, which is not enough for most people.
More proof that HDMI-DALS (Dynamic Auto Lip-Sync) is broken - Apple has quietly introduced in tvOS 13 a feature called 'Wireless Audio Sync' that will "use your iOS device to measure how long your television takes to play audio and video" and will calibrate the source (the Apple TV device) so that it sends the audio with the right delay - in perfect sync with the video.

A solution that is outside of the integrated Lip-Sync mechanism. Maybe all manufacturers should do this...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	appletvos13features-2.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	2640028  
SuissoNaBisso likes this.

Last edited by dfa973; 11-12-2019 at 04:10 AM.
dfa973 is online now  
post #798 of 869 Old 11-15-2019, 12:06 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
An I correct in understanding that the webOS apps on c9 can not output truehd atmos? Only DD atmos right? Has LG commented on this? But using the new shield TV one could get this from Netflix or Plex through the TV over eARC to an atmos soundbar right?
Batblib is offline  
post #799 of 869 Old 11-15-2019, 01:25 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batblib View Post
An I correct in understanding that the webOS apps on c9 can not output truehd atmos? Only DD atmos right? Has LG commented on this? But using the new shield TV one could get this from Netflix or Plex through the TV over eARC to an atmos soundbar right?


That is true.
Netflix does not use Dolby True HD on any device. It uses Dolby Digital Plus with Atmos on capable devices.

As far as I understand the WebOS sdk’s for developers do not support lossless audio codecs to create WebOS apps.

Through the Shield tv you can get Dolby True HD and Atmos with Plex or Kodi.
Netflix will give DD+ on the “old” Shield and DD+ with Atmos on the new Shield (pro)


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
justvodka is offline  
post #800 of 869 Old 11-15-2019, 02:16 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuissoNaBisso View Post
Ok I see all these points about Lip-Sync but the thing is that if I change the audio output of my Xbox from Dolby Digital I have absolutely no issues ! no sound delay, no Lip-Sync issue, nothing....BUT if I change this output to Dolby Atmos then the delay appear !
The problem with Atmos on the Xbox One X is that it comes in a PCM container, not DD+ or TrueHD. And from what I understand lipsync correction cannot be performed on PCM sources. I suspect this is why lipsync correction isn't working when you switch to Atmos. There's not much LG can do about this. If they expand delay settings it will probably break other things such as ALLM and VRR.
aalb1970 is offline  
post #801 of 869 Old 11-15-2019, 02:39 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batblib View Post
An I correct in understanding that the webOS apps on c9 can not output truehd atmos? Only DD atmos right? Has LG commented on this? But using the new shield TV one could get this from Netflix or Plex through the TV over eARC to an atmos soundbar right?
The problem is, what app exactly are you looking at for outputting TrueHD Atmos?

If you are talking about Netflix, I have some news for you. Here's my quote from another thread regarding it. TLDR: You won't get lossless Atmos even if you are using a TV box straight to the receiver with Netflix.


In regards to Netflix streaming,

As mentioned by dfa973, Atmos delivered via streaming is encoded in a DD+ container consisting of a 5.1 core + the Atmos extension.

What you need to understand is that Netflix is sending Lossy Atmos via ARC. Not eARC. You heard about the recent news on Netflix getting High Quality Bitstream sound for 5.1 and Atmos content? Yup. This is the quote from them.

"Based on internal listening tests, listening test results provided by Dolby, and scientific studies, we determined that for Dolby Digital Plus at and above 640 kbps, the audio coding quality is perceptually transparent.
At the same time, we revisited our Dolby Atmos bitrates and increased the highest offering to 768 kbps.
" - Netflix

As you can see, the 'upgrades' this year on Netflix audio are still based on the ARC's 1 Mbps speed limit. Not eARC's 37 Mbps.

As long as you see DD+/Atmos on your receiver, even if the symbol is 5.1 instead of Atmos on the Netflix app, you are perfectly fine. And are receiving the highest quality that Netflix can deliver via DD+ Atmos.
You can still get Dolby Atmos lossless via other sources to the TV and then to the receiver. So that is a sign that eARC is working.

It is still too early. The more percentage of people that have HDMI 2.0 with eARC support or even better HDMI 2.1 TVs along with eARC receivers and soundbars, only then will streaming companies be willing to utilize eARC on their TV versions of the apps.
LiLAsN is offline  
post #802 of 869 Old 11-16-2019, 03:07 PM
Member
 
cisaak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an LG C9 and Denon AVR-A540BT. Trying to get sound from TV to Denon through HDMI. Per this thread's recommendation, (a) turned off ARC and HDMI Control on Denon, (b) turned off Simplink (CEC) on C9, and (c) reset configuration of Denon on C9's Connections Manager. When I enable ARC and eARC with pass through in the C9 HDMI audio settings, the C9's Simplink automatically turns on which in turn automatically shifts the C9's audio settings to Internal Speakers. Am I doing something wrong? Perhaps I am doing step (c) above incorrectly. When I reset the Denon config on the C9, the C9 asks for the port to be used for video and for audio. What should I choose?

Thanks for any help.
cisaak is offline  
post #803 of 869 Old 11-16-2019, 06:01 PM
Member
 
mhmercer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: California
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisaak View Post
I have an LG C9 and Denon AVR-A540BT. Trying to get sound from TV to Denon through HDMI. Per this thread's recommendation, (a) turned off ARC and HDMI Control on Denon, (b) turned off Simplink (CEC) on C9, and (c) reset configuration of Denon on C9's Connections Manager. When I enable ARC and eARC with pass through in the C9 HDMI audio settings, the C9's Simplink automatically turns on which in turn automatically shifts the C9's audio settings to Internal Speakers. Am I doing something wrong? Perhaps I am doing step (c) above incorrectly. When I reset the Denon config on the C9, the C9 asks for the port to be used for video and for audio. What should I choose?

Thanks for any help.
Connect one end of your HDMI cable to "HDMI port #2 " on the C9. The other end of the cable attaches to "HDMI Out - Monitor", on the AVR.

It would be helpful to know a bit about your system:
Did you use the Device Connector to link your AVR to the C9? If not, connect your HDMI cable, then use the Device Connector to link the two.
Is your pathway AVR-->C9 or C9-->AVR? If, after the January 20 2019 update firmware, you do not have eARC on your AVR, then some audio formats will not play.
How long is your HDMI cable?
mhmercer is offline  
post #804 of 869 Old 11-16-2019, 08:12 PM
Member
 
cisaak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhmercer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisaak View Post
I have an LG C9 and Denon AVR-A540BT. Trying to get sound from TV to Denon through HDMI. Per this thread's recommendation, (a) turned off ARC and HDMI Control on Denon, (b) turned off Simplink (CEC) on C9, and (c) reset configuration of Denon on C9's Connections Manager. When I enable ARC and eARC with pass through in the C9 HDMI audio settings, the C9's Simplink automatically turns on which in turn automatically shifts the C9's audio settings to Internal Speakers. Am I doing something wrong? Perhaps I am doing step (c) above incorrectly. When I reset the Denon config on the C9, the C9 asks for the port to be used for video and for audio. What should I choose?

Thanks for any help.
Connect one end of your HDMI cable to "HDMI port #2 " on the C9. The other end of the cable attaches to "HDMI Out - Monitor", on the AVR.

It would be helpful to know a bit about your system:
Did you use the Device Connector to link your AVR to the C9? If not, connect your HDMI cable, then use the Device Connector to link the two.
Is your pathway AVR-->C9 or C9-->AVR? If, after the January 20 2019 update firmware, you do not have eARC on your AVR, then some audio formats will not play.
How long is your HDMI cable?

My HDMI cable is about 25 feet long and is connected as you described--C9 to #2 and AVR to Monitor. This is the only input and output to/from the C9. I have a Cable DVR and BluRay connected to the AVR via HDMI. Audio and video from DVR and BluRay work great. I have used Device Connector to link AVR but I am unsure if I did it correctly. Should HDMI 2 be both the video and audio connections? I will check if there is an AVR firmware update available. Once again, can I use ARC to get TV sound to the AVR?
cisaak is offline  
post #805 of 869 Old 11-16-2019, 09:03 PM
Member
 
mhmercer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: California
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisaak View Post
My HDMI cable is about 25 feet long and is connected as you described--C9 to #2 and AVR to Monitor. This is the only input and output to/from the C9. I have a Cable DVR and BluRay connected to the AVR via HDMI. Audio and video from DVR and BluRay work great. I have used Device Connector to link AVR but I am unsure if I did it correctly. Should HDMI 2 be both the video and audio connections? I will check if there is an AVR firmware update available. Once again, can I use ARC to get TV sound to the AVR?
My HDMI cable is about 25 feet long... Depending upon the cable, that may be too long. Any way to reduce that length to 15 feet, or less?
Should HDMI 2 be both the video and audio connections? Yes
Once again, can I use ARC to get TV sound to the AVR? Yes The only downside to that is that you will be limited to lossy audio, such as DD+.

Last edited by mhmercer; 11-16-2019 at 09:08 PM.
mhmercer is offline  
post #806 of 869 Old 11-17-2019, 05:45 AM
Member
 
cisaak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhmercer View Post
My HDMI cable is about 25 feet long... Depending upon the cable, that may be too long. Any way to reduce that length to 15 feet, or less?
Should HDMI 2 be both the video and audio connections? Yes
Once again, can I use ARC to get TV sound to the AVR? Yes The only downside to that is that you will be limited to lossy audio, such as DD+.
But how do I use ARC to get TV sound to the AVR? I still have the problem in my original post. When I enable ARC in my LG C9 sound settings, the LG automatically switches on CEC and then automatically changes my LG's sound settings to "optical and internal speakers."
cisaak is offline  
post #807 of 869 Old 11-17-2019, 08:41 PM
Member
 
mhmercer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: California
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisaak View Post
But how do I use ARC to get TV sound to the AVR? I still have the problem in my original post. When I enable ARC in my LG C9 sound settings, the LG automatically switches on CEC and then automatically changes my LG's sound settings to "optical and internal speakers."
Under Connection-->HDMI Device Settings--> turn off Auto Device Detection and SIMPLELINK. Using Device Connector, delete your Home Theater (AVR) configuration. Add your Home Theater (AVR) back in. Under Connection-->HDMI Device Settings--> turn on Auto Device Detection and SIMPLELINK. Set your sound to whatever you like.
mhmercer is offline  
post #808 of 869 Old 11-18-2019, 09:45 AM
Member
 
cisaak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhmercer View Post
Under Connection-->HDMI Device Settings--> turn off Auto Device Detection and SIMPLELINK. Using Device Connector, delete your Home Theater (AVR) configuration. Add your Home Theater (AVR) back in. Under Connection-->HDMI Device Settings--> turn on Auto Device Detection and SIMPLELINK. Set your sound to whatever you like.
Making some progress. Using your suggestion, when I switch C9 to CEC, the sound setting now remains on ARC. However, still no sound through AVR. Here are the relevant settings as far as I can tell:

LG C9:
Sound, HDMI ARC
Digital sound out--Pass through, PCM, Auto
eARC--On, off
Connection, HDMI Device Settings
Auto device detection--on, off
Simplink (HDMI-CEC)--on, off
Auto power sync--on, off

Dennon AVR-S540BT
Settings, Video
Pass Thru--on, off
Control--on, off
TV audio sw--on, off
Power off--all, video, off
Audio out--TV, AVR

Any thoughts on settings?
cisaak is offline  
post #809 of 869 Old 11-18-2019, 12:21 PM
Member
 
mhmercer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: California
Posts: 130
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisaak View Post
Making some progress. Using your suggestion, when I switch C9 to CEC, the sound setting now remains on ARC. However, still no sound through AVR. Here are the relevant settings as far as I can tell:

LG C9:
Sound, HDMI ARC
Digital sound out--Pass through, PCM, Auto
eARC--On, off
Connection, HDMI Device Settings
Auto device detection--on, off
Simplink (HDMI-CEC)--on, off
Auto power sync--on, off

Dennon AVR-S540BT
Settings, Video
Pass Thru--on, off
Control--on, off
TV audio sw--on, off
Power off--all, video, off
Audio out--TV, AVR

Any thoughts on settings?
LG C9:
Sound, HDMI ARC
Digital sound out--Pass through
eARC--On
Connection, HDMI Device Settings
Auto device detection--on
Simplink (HDMI-CEC)--on
Auto power sync--on

Dennon AVR-S540BT
Settings, Video -- Unless you have an XBox, Blu-Ray player, or some such connected to your AVR, this does not matter as you will not pass the video signal to the C9. If you do, the AVR's video-out should be set to 4K, Enhanced.
Pass Thru--on
Control--on
TV audio sw--on, off -- Unsure about this.
Power off-- off
Audio out-- AVR

Last edited by mhmercer; 11-18-2019 at 12:28 PM.
mhmercer is offline  
post #810 of 869 Old 11-20-2019, 10:11 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Hi!

I own a C9 and a Denon x2600h.

Should I connect my devices to TV and pass audio to AVR (using eARC) or should I connect my devices to AVR and pass video to TV? What is the best soloution?
I think that the first is the best one (am I wrong?), but there are so few hdmi ports on TVs.

Thanks
Antonio Nozzi is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off