LG C9 eARC Info Thread - Page 28 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 186Likes

post #811 of 857 Old 11-20-2019, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhmercer View Post
LG C9:
Sound, HDMI ARC
Digital sound out--Pass through
eARC--On
Connection, HDMI Device Settings
Auto device detection--on
Simplink (HDMI-CEC)--on
Auto power sync--on

Dennon AVR-S540BT
Settings, Video -- Unless you have an XBox, Blu-Ray player, or some such connected to your AVR, this does not matter as you will not pass the video signal to the C9. If you do, the AVR's video-out should be set to 4K, Enhanced.
Pass Thru--on
Control--on
TV audio sw--on, off -- Unsure about this.
Power off-- off
Audio out-- AVR
Changed all the settings as suggested but still no sound through AVR. On another LG forum, some suggest there is a flaw in the LG firmware which prevents sending TV app sound to an AVR. Do not know if true but perhaps a future TV firmware update will help. I decided to access the apps by plugging a Firestick into my AVR. The sound plays through the AVR and the TV plays the video over the ARC cable. Not optimal since my universal remote cannot control the Firestick.

Thanks for all the time you spent on my problem. I'll let you know if it gets fixed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 857 Old 11-20-2019, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisaak View Post
I have an LG C9 and Denon AVR-A540BT. Trying to get sound from TV to Denon through HDMI. Per this thread's recommendation, (a) turned off ARC and HDMI Control on Denon, (b) turned off Simplink (CEC) on C9, and (c) reset configuration of Denon on C9's Connections Manager. When I enable ARC and eARC with pass through in the C9 HDMI audio settings, the C9's Simplink automatically turns on which in turn automatically shifts the C9's audio settings to Internal Speakers. Am I doing something wrong? Perhaps I am doing step (c) above incorrectly. When I reset the Denon config on the C9, the C9 asks for the port to be used for video and for audio. What should I choose?

Thanks for any help.
Do you have a link to this Denon model? A google search seems to indicate it does not exist.

Do you mean AVR-S540?

If so, that is an extremely limited capability AVR, it supports AVR but doesn't support some common audio formats. It almost definitely does not support eARC.

So the first thing you are doing wrong is trying to use eARC with an AVR that does not support it.

Since your AVR is rather limited have you considered just connecting optical toslink from the TV to the AVR?
post #813 of 857 Old 11-20-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
Do you have a link to this Denon model? A google search seems to indicate it does not exist.

Do you mean AVR-S540?

If so, that is an extremely limited capability AVR, it supports AVR but doesn't support some common audio formats. It almost definitely does not support eARC.

So the first thing you are doing wrong is trying to use eARC with an AVR that does not support it.

Since your AVR is rather limited have you considered just connecting optical toslink from the TV to the AVR?
It is an AVR-S540BT. It does not support eARC but when I enable ARC on the C9 with Pass Through and no eARC, I still get no sound from the AVR. I have considered an optical toslink cable but my setup involves a long distance between the AVR and the C9. Currently, I have a long HDMI cable connection behind drywall and running an optical or anything else would involve a lot of cable fishing and drywall patching. Trying to avoid that by using ARC but so far no luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #814 of 857 Old 11-20-2019, 09:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Currently, I have a long HDMI cable connection behind drywall and running an optical or anything else would involve a lot of cable fishing and drywall patching.
The cable might be too long for the ARC signal to make it through. Can you try temporarily using a short cable?
dfa973 likes this.
post #815 of 857 Old 11-20-2019, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
It is an AVR-S540BT. It does not support eARC but when I enable ARC on the C9 with Pass Through and no eARC, I still get no sound from the AVR. I have considered an optical toslink cable but my setup involves a long distance between the AVR and the C9. Currently, I have a long HDMI cable connection behind drywall and running an optical or anything else would involve a lot of cable fishing and drywall patching. Trying to avoid that by using ARC but so far no luck.
How long is it? HDMI is notoriously unreliable past 5 or so meters.
dfa973 likes this.
post #816 of 857 Old 11-21-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
How long is it? HDMI is notoriously unreliable past 5 or so meters.
I will try a short HDMI cable and see if that is the problem. Curious that video over long cable is fine but I guess eARC could be limited by cable length. Whether or not cable length is the problem, it appears I need to fish a long optical cable to get TV sound through the AVR. And hi def audio is out even if I get an eARC capable AVR.
post #817 of 857 Old 11-21-2019, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I will try a short HDMI cable and see if that is the problem. Curious that video over long cable is fine but I guess eARC could be limited by cable length. Whether or not cable length is the problem, it appears I need to fish a long optical cable to get TV sound through the AVR. And hi def audio is out even if I get an eARC capable AVR.
Video uses TMDS (Transition-Minimized Differential Signaling). The key word there is differential which means there are two wires twisted around each other carrying the signal with one having the opposite voltage. This means that any noise will affect both wires the same way and get canceled out at the receiving device. eARC also uses differential signalling as that channel was originally for Ethernet which uses differential signalling. But ARC does not. It uses one wire only so any noise will affect it way more than the TMDS and eARC channels.
jmpage2 and dfa973 like this.
post #818 of 857 Old 11-21-2019, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio Nozzi View Post
Hi!

I own a C9 and a Denon x2600h.

Should I connect my devices to TV and pass audio to AVR (using eARC) or should I connect my devices to AVR and pass video to TV? What is the best soloution?
I think that the first is the best one (am I wrong?), but there are so few hdmi ports on TVs.

Thanks
Up!
post #819 of 857 Old 11-21-2019, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Should I connect my devices to TV and pass audio to AVR (using eARC) or should I connect my devices to AVR and pass video to TV? What is the best soloution?
I think that the first is the best one (am I wrong?), but there are so few hdmi ports on TVs.
Physical distances between devices notwithstanding: Xbox One connect to the TV, everything else connect to the AVR.
post #820 of 857 Old 11-21-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avernar View Post
Physical distances between devices notwithstanding: Xbox One connect to the TV, everything else connect to the AVR.
May I ask you... why the xbox (I have a xbox one s btw)? xD
post #821 of 857 Old 11-21-2019, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Hi!

Thanks
You haven't indicated what devices you have... so how can I answer this question? Some source devices benefit zero from connecting directly to the TV, for other devices there are some advantages.

In order of priority, 4K game consoles followed by external 4K BD or media players potentially gain the most benefit by direct connection to the TV since it allows custom setting of video for each of them on a per input basis.

If you have mostly legacy devices there would be little reason outside of audio sync or trying to reduce video processing not to just connect them to the AVR.
post #822 of 857 Old 11-21-2019, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Since you've described a long HDMI run I have to hope that you used a very high quality (potentially active depending on distance) HDMI cable that is certified and pre-terminated. Right?

You also ran a spare cable or two, right?

It is absolutely possible that your cable might carry video but have issues with audio. The only way to test it out is to try a high quality cable with a direct connection to see if you get a different result.

If running a new cable is going to be a nightmare you can always use something like a wireless toslink adapter as a stop gap. They use BT or 900mhz radio to transmit the audio data to the other end, you'll probably have to adjust audio sync on your AVR and you could potentially have intermittent issues with interference.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N38BIMU..._7AY1Db4NE88X6
post #823 of 857 Old 11-21-2019, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
May I ask you... why the xbox (I have a xbox one s btw)? xD
VRR.

Also ALLM if your a AVR doesn’t pass it through.
post #824 of 857 Old 11-21-2019, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
In order of priority, 4K game consoles followed by external 4K BD or media players potentially gain the most benefit by direct connection to the TV since it allows custom setting of video for each of them on a per input basis.
The PS4 Pro is a toss up. I personally have it hooked up to my AVR for the LPCM 7.1 audio.
post #825 of 857 Old 11-22-2019, 01:51 AM

Quote:
You haven't indicated what devices you have... so how can I answer this question?
You are right xD. I have these devices:

- Xbox One S (it will be used mainly for Netflix and to play blu-rays)
- HTPC (4k+HDR & 1080p upscaling with madvr)
- Sky Q (4k sat tv)
post #826 of 857 Old 11-22-2019, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1475 Post(s)
Liked: 840
Quote:

- HTPC (4k+HDR & 1080p upscaling with madvr)
- Sky Q (4k sat tv)
Please don't use the Xbox for netflix. It looks terrible. It outputs everything in HDR even if the content is SDR. It makes an OK (but not great) bluray player.

Pretty sure they haven't fixed it yet.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
post #827 of 857 Old 11-22-2019, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsorensen View Post
Please don't use the Xbox for netflix. It looks terrible. It outputs everything in HDR even if the content is SDR. It makes an OK (but not great) bluray player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbDv...ature=youtu.be

What device do you suggest for netflix (and prime video)? Are the LG apps good?

I was thinking about Amazon Fire TV Stick 4k, but they said me that Netflix app on that device does not supports Dolby Atmos.

Last edited by Antonio Nozzi; 11-22-2019 at 05:08 PM.
post #828 of 857 Old 11-23-2019, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1836 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Anyone know if the NAD 758v3 AVR is supported?
post #829 of 857 Old 11-23-2019, 06:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
What device do you suggest for netflix (and prime video)? Are the LG apps good?

I was thinking about Amazon Fire TV Stick 4k, but they said me that Netflix app on that device does not supports Dolby Atmos.

The TV app is definitely a good option. Supports DV and atmos and everything as far as I know.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
post #830 of 857 Old 11-24-2019, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:

Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbDv...ature=youtu.be

And still Xbox One (regular, S and X) does not switch refresh rate with the Netflix app. Now, theoretically LG's OLED should be able to playback correctly as they are driven at 120Hz (which is a multiple of 24 fps). But I've never managed to get somebody to tell me that they indeed playback stuff smoothly with no judder (from Netflix).

Seriously. AVS is a place where you go to learn to be unhappy. - Bear5k
Video Pioneer PDP-LX6090 (calibrated)
Audio Yamaha RX-A3010, Dynaudio Audience 72 (FL, FR), Dynaudio Audience 42C (C), Dynaudio 42W (SR, SL), Chario Piccolo Star Satellite (Presence Height), SVS PB-1000 (SW)
Sources HTPC, Xbox One S, Squeezebox
post #831 of 857 Old 11-24-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorman42 View Post
And still Xbox One (regular, S and X) does not switch refresh rate with the Netflix app. Now, theoretically LG's OLED should be able to playback correctly as they are driven at 120Hz (which is a multiple of 24 fps). But I've never managed to get somebody to tell me that they indeed playback stuff smoothly with no judder (from Netflix).
For a brief period of time primevideo app has supported the automatic switch... now this (amazing) feature disappeared
gorman42 likes this.
post #832 of 857 Old 11-25-2019, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Sorry if it's already been mentioned or clarified, but can't seem to find it then.

Is there any confirmation the C9 will work with a Sony STR-DN1080?

I bought the C9 earlier this year, but ended up delivering it back because it was acting weird with my receiver.

When I turned on the TV it would after a while ask the receiver to "go Home", so just as you had gotten Netflix or whatever started and found your show, the TV jumped to the receivers Home menu...
Even worse on my Nintendo Switch, which completely went nuts when the TV switched to the receivers Home menu, so it would just show black screen when I switched back to the Nintendo Switch, until I got up, undocked it, and put it back in the dock... then the image would return to the TV.

Talked to both Sony and LG about it, but they couldn't fix it.

I would even be okay with turning off the HDMI-CEC, but couldn't seem to get the eARC to work with it off, which I've just read here, that it seems should be possible... so I'm at a loss. Would REALLY like to have that TV again, but that issue was just so incredibly annoying that both the wifey and I was furious after a week

Can someone please tell me it's fixable in some way, I really want this TV, add it's on a crazy sale here right now :-\
post #833 of 857 Old 11-25-2019, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Crisp View Post
Sorry if it's already been mentioned or clarified, but can't seem to find it then.

Is there any confirmation the C9 will work with a Sony STR-DN1080?

I bought the C9 earlier this year, but ended up delivering it back because it was acting weird with my receiver.

When I turned on the TV it would after a while ask the receiver to "go Home", so just as you had gotten Netflix or whatever started and found your show, the TV jumped to the receivers Home menu...
Even worse on my Nintendo Switch, which completely went nuts when the TV switched to the receivers Home menu, so it would just show black screen when I switched back to the Nintendo Switch, until I got up, undocked it, and put it back in the dock... then the image would return to the TV.

Talked to both Sony and LG about it, but they couldn't fix it.

I would even be okay with turning off the HDMI-CEC, but couldn't seem to get the eARC to work with it off, which I've just read here, that it seems should be possible... so I'm at a loss. Would REALLY like to have that TV again, but that issue was just so incredibly annoying that both the wifey and I was furious after a week

Can someone please tell me it's fixable in some way, I really want this TV, add it's on a crazy sale here right now :-\
If eARC will not function with HDMI CEC disabled then it is possible that Sony has done a poor implementation or you've missed a setting option on the Sony to get it to work. eARC is supposed work regardless of having HDMI CEC enabled.

The problems you describe definitely sound like they are HDMI CEC related.... so I likely would have also wanted to disable it. Did you have the latest firmware for both the C9 and your AVR when you ran into these issues?
post #834 of 857 Old 11-25-2019, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
If eARC will not function with HDMI CEC disabled then it is possible that Sony has done a poor implementation or you've missed a setting option on the Sony to get it to work. eARC is supposed work regardless of having HDMI CEC enabled.

The problems you describe definitely sound like they are HDMI CEC related.... so I likely would have also wanted to disable it. Did you have the latest firmware for both the C9 and your AVR when you ran into these issues?
Sony has done eARC fine. It is known LG requires CEC on to enable eARC. LG messed it up.

Len Sorensen

post #835 of 857 Old 11-25-2019, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Sony has done eARC fine. It is known LG requires CEC on to enable eARC. LG messed it up.
LG does not require HDMI CEC for eARC to work, l have it working to a Denon X4500H without CEC turned on.
post #836 of 857 Old 11-25-2019, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
LG does not require HDMI CEC for eARC to work, l have it working to a Denon X4500H without CEC turned on.

I have the LG C9 and a denon 1600h and every time I turn on eARC the TV automatically turns on simp-link. How do you get it to turn on eARC without CEC?

Last edited by r0ck0; 11-25-2019 at 04:08 PM.
post #837 of 857 Old 11-25-2019, 05:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

So you have eARC working with simplink disabled on the LG? Denon (and Marantz) allows disabling CEC control without disabling CEC entirely which is good enough for ARC (and good enough to make eARC work on the LG). I don't recall anyone ever disabling CEC (simplink) on the LG and having eARC work even though the HDMI spec says it shouldn't be related (and on the Sony's it is in fact not required).

Len Sorensen

post #838 of 857 Old 11-26-2019, 01:34 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:

Yes, I made sure both devices was updated, and even tried resetting them both to factory default to see if something had gone wrong in the setup.

Quote:
So you have eARC working with simplink disabled on the LG? Denon (and Marantz) allows disabling CEC control without disabling CEC entirely which is good enough for ARC (and good enough to make eARC work on the LG). I don't recall anyone ever disabling CEC (simplink) on the LG and having eARC work even though the HDMI spec says it shouldn't be related (and on the Sony's it is in fact not required).
You're saying that Sony doesn't require this, can you tell me how I can get it working properly then? I don't care about the TV controlling the receiver (although it would be nice), I just want eARC to work and not having my TV forcing the receiver (or the other way around) to the receiver Home menu... it's infuriating, and shouldn't be a problem on products of this pricerange both made for enthusiasts
post #839 of 857 Old 11-26-2019, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0ck0 View Post
I have the LG C9 and a denon 1600h and every time I turn on eARC the TV automatically turns on simp-link. How do you get it to turn on eARC without CEC?
I will have to review my settings, but it's possible I have it disabled on the Denon and not on the LG. In any event, there is no HDMI-CEC integration between the C9 and the X4500H and eARC is working properly and there are no control/integration problems between the two because HDMI CEC is not turned on.
post #840 of 857 Old 11-26-2019, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Crisp View Post
Yes, I made sure both devices was updated, and even tried resetting them both to factory default to see if something had gone wrong in the setup.

You're saying that Sony doesn't require this, can you tell me how I can get it working properly then? I don't care about the TV controlling the receiver (although it would be nice), I just want eARC to work and not having my TV forcing the receiver (or the other way around) to the receiver Home menu... it's infuriating, and shouldn't be a problem on products of this pricerange both made for enthusiasts
The Sony A9F and A9G televisions (and the other few models that have eARC) do not require braviasync (what Sony decided to name CEC) on for eARC to work. They do require it for ARC to work of course. LG C9 (and other x9) models according to what I have read here so far requires simplink (what LG decided to name CEC) to be on for eARC (and ARC) to work. The HDMI spec says eARC should not require CEC of any kind to operate (although if you want the TV remove to control volume on the AVR you obviously would need CEC control enabled), and on Sony TVs that is true, on LG it is not as far as I have seen so far. Now with the option on Denon/Marantz to have CEC to allow ARC but disable CEC control you can still have ARC working without having control messages sent through to the AVR which is a nice feature they added, but they still have CEC on, they just ignore control messages while allowing the discovery needed for ARC to work.

I guess it is possible that LG changed it so simplink is no longer needed for eARC to operate (they could have fixed that after all), but I don't recall anyone ever mentioning that here.

Len Sorensen

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page