LG C9 eARC Info Thread - Page 46 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 274Likes

post #1351 of 1409 Old 03-17-2020, 05:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5039 Post(s)
Liked: 3054
Quote:
Originally Posted by avernar View Post
I normally keep it on but have just shut it off without any issue (other that CEC not working). I'll leave it this way for a while and see if anything changes.
Yes, leave it that way for a few days. It worked for me once for three days. On day four, Netflix no longer had Atmos audio available.

lujan
641 Ultra HD
729 HD
4 SD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 1409 Old 03-17-2020, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 803 Post(s)
Liked: 550
Quote:
I normally run with ARC on as I use CEC.

So I disabled ARC on my X6500H, terminated the Netflix app, and shut off the TV and AVR. Then I powered on the TV and AVR. Pressed the Netflix button (Netflix did the full startup). I still have Atmos in Netflix using eARC only.

So we still have a mystery.
Even with ARC disabled on my AVR I could get Atmos to work temporarily by toggling some of the TV settings but it would revert in less than a day typically back to no Atmos.

So I agree it's a bit of a mystery but I've never been able to get the Atmos from Netflix to "stick" for more than a few hours so in my case I will update this weekend if it is still working.

I've cancelled my service ticket for mainboard replacement since it seems unlikely they will be able to fix anything with the panel FW version or any of the fields that are showing up -NG- in the IN Start menu and I don't want some marginally competent technician messing something else up with my TV or other gear.
post #1353 of 1409 Old 03-17-2020, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
So I agree it's a bit of a mystery but I've never been able to get the Atmos from Netflix to "stick" for more than a few hours so in my case I will update this weekend if it is still working.
At what point did you loose Atmos? Was it when going back to the app after watching something else or between shows or episodes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1354 of 1409 Old 03-17-2020, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
At what point did you loose Atmos? Was it when going back to the app after watching something else or between shows or episodes?
Last time it went from working to not working the only thing I can recall doing is powering everything off and turning it back on later.
post #1355 of 1409 Old 03-18-2020, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Okay I just tested again, including switching back and forth between Amazon Prime w/Atmos and Netflix w/Atmos and it's still working. I don't recall having it work consistently for more than one session so I think this might be the "fix".

And just to clearly articulate to anyone following the thread and scratching their head.... the ARC setting on the Denon should not be needed if everything is working properly but it appears that the LG Netflix app won't support all audio formats properly if it is not turned on, at least with the Denon X4500.
fenster3000 likes this.
post #1356 of 1409 Old 03-18-2020, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

Day two of eARC only here and the Netflix app still has Atmos. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
lujan likes this.
post #1357 of 1409 Old 03-18-2020, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Well you do have a different generation AVR.
post #1358 of 1409 Old 03-18-2020, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Well you do have a different generation AVR.
I have the X6500H now and used to run the X3500H before. Never had Netflix Atmos issues with the X3500H after the LG firmware update. I was running eARC only on that one. It's when I got the X6500H I left ARC and CEC on.
post #1359 of 1409 Old 03-21-2020, 05:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Factory reset and tested eARC again between the C9 and X4400H after Denon pushed a new firmware a few days ago.
Not sure what bugs the firmware addressed as nothing appears to have changed from my last round of tests.
TrueHD Atmos HDMI sources plugged into TV and passed through via eARC, still show up on the Denon as just TrueHD without Atmos.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but from what I understand next gen consoles and graphics cards will need a direct HDMI 2.1 connection to the C9 for certain display modes and features such as VRR, so unless this is something Denon will fix in firmware, it's not looking good for those of us with the models in question

The (supposedly mandatory) auto lip sync correction feature of eARC is also noticeably absent using TV's built-in apps. Audio lags behind video and cannot be fixed manually as both the LG and Denon only provide options for adding more delay to audio, which doesn't help
post #1360 of 1409 Old 03-21-2020, 06:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac M. View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but from what I understand next gen consoles and graphics cards will need a direct HDMI 2.1 connection to the C9 for certain display modes and features such as VRR, so unless this is something Denon will fix in firmware, it's not looking good for those of us with the models in question
Yes. Current AVRs will not pass VRR and 4K120.

The Xbox One sends Atmos as LPCM 7.1 + Atmos in a Dolby MAT container. Do you have an Xbox?

Quote:
The (supposedly mandatory) auto lip sync correction feature of eARC is also noticeably absent using TV's built-in apps. Audio lags behind video and cannot be fixed manually as both the LG and Denon only provide options for adding more delay to audio, which doesn't help
Internal apps start off as ARC and the Hawk 2 chip transfers it to eARC. That would explain lack of auto lip sync.
post #1361 of 1409 Old 03-22-2020, 01:55 PM

Quote:
The Xbox One sends Atmos as LPCM 7.1 + Atmos in a Dolby MAT container. Do you have an Xbox?
Not at the moment. Those with Xbox One and C9s must also be running into LG's 2 channel PCM limitation, on top of Truehd Atmos issue if they own one of the Denon AVR's in question.

Quote:
Internal apps start off as ARC and the Hawk 2 chip transfers it to eARC. That would explain lack of auto lip sync.
Auto-lip-sync should work over regular ARC HDMI 1.3 even, I get the same behavior with ARC turned off.
Is the C9's auto-lip-sync (demonstrably) confirmed working with other AVRs or soundbars?

I did see a post featuring a simple block diagram where it was implied internal apps start off as ARC and depicts the hawk 2 (Synopsys DesignWare HDMI 2.1 Rx?) having an ARC only input. Whereas Synopsys claim all backward compatible HDMI 2.1 and eARC connections in their documentation.
Not sure if this was confirmed or just a theory at the time as to why LG couldn't add TrueHD support from internal apps
post #1362 of 1409 Old 03-22-2020, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Not at the moment. Those with Xbox One and C9s must also be running into LG's 2 channel PCM limitation, on top of Truehd Atmos issue if they own one of the Denon AVR's in question.
I run my Xbox One X set to Bitstream - Dolby Atmos. This works around the raw LPCM limitation as it wraps the LPCM in a Dolby MAT container. It doesn't use TrueHD at all. DD+ is used for ARC.

Quote:
Auto-lip-sync should work over regular ARC HDMI 1.3 even, I get the same behavior with ARC turned off.
It was an optional feature over ARC.

Quote:
I did see a post featuring a simple block diagram where it was implied internal apps start off as ARC and depicts the hawk 2 (Synopsys DesignWare HDMI 2.1 Rx?) having an ARC only input. Whereas Synopsys claim all backward compatible HDMI 2.1 and eARC connections in their documentation.
Not sure if this was confirmed or just a theory at the time as to why LG couldn't add TrueHD support from internal apps
That block diagram is from the service manual. The Hawk 2 is not a Synopsys DesignWare HDMI 2.1 RX, it's a custom solution built for LG.

If the block diagram is not in error then the ARC output of the Alpha 9 is the reason for no lossless from internal apps.
FarleyUK likes this.
post #1363 of 1409 Old 03-22-2020, 03:08 PM

Quote:
I run my Xbox One X set to Bitstream - Dolby Atmos. This works around the raw LPCM limitation as it wraps the LPCM in a Dolby MAT container. It doesn't use TrueHD at all. DD+ is used for ARC.
Thank you for the clarifications, if this means TrueHD Atmos BluRays play properly through the C9's eARC to 2017 Denons,
and if Series X (and PS5?!) feature the same workaround, this is really great news

Quote:
It was an optional feature over ARC.
Yet supposedly mandatory on an eARC TV
I take it then everyone with AVRs and soundbars have no auto-lip-sync from C9's (and upcoming CX's) internal apps.
I wonder if successively enabling image processing features, sync can be pulled back in somewhat

Quote:
the ARC output of the Alpha 9 is the reason for no lossless from internal apps.
Interested now to see the what the circuit diagram actually looks like between the main IC and hawk IC/FPGA?

The lip-sync issue alone will have me reluctantly going from 2015 to 2019 shield TV after all
post #1364 of 1409 Old 03-22-2020, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thank you for the clarifications, if this means TrueHD Atmos BluRays play properly through the C9's eARC to 2017 Denons,
and if Series X (and PS5?!) feature the same workaround, this is really great news
No, I think the Atmos would get stripped out if you let the Xbox process the media audio instead of sending it passthrough.

Quote:
Yet supposedly mandatory on an eARC TV
Mandatory for the eARC audio channel. Not for the whole TV.

Quote:
I take it then everyone with AVRs and soundbars have no auto-lip-sync from C9's (and upcoming CX's) internal apps.
I haven't noticed anything.

Quote:
Interested now to see the what the circuit diagram actually looks like between the main IC and hawk IC/FPGA?
All we have is various block diagrams. There are no schematics available.
post #1365 of 1409 Old 03-24-2020, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
Yes, leave it that way for a few days. It worked for me once for three days. On day four, Netflix no longer had Atmos audio available.
Still working 8 days in. I think it's fixed.

It's possible that future app changes from Netflix for the LG app could change the way it works again.
lujan likes this.
post #1366 of 1409 Old 03-24-2020, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
We never heard back after day two... ?

lujan
641 Ultra HD
729 HD
4 SD
post #1367 of 1409 Old 03-24-2020, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
We never heard back after day two... ?

After 4 days of working on eARC only I switch CEC/ARC back on to get my input switching and volume controls back.
lujan likes this.
post #1368 of 1409 Old 03-26-2020, 07:46 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Per FlatpanelsHD review of the LG CX:
"Dolby Atmos can be output from the TV via HDMI eARC (or ARC). LG has also promised to fix the eARC issue (PCM being limited to 2.0 channels) affecting 2019 models. 2020 models come with the fix at launch while 2019 models will receive a firmware update sometime this year."

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/review....&id=1585020920
post #1369 of 1409 Old 03-26-2020, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiego View Post
Per FlatpanelsHD review of the LG CX:
"Dolby Atmos can be output from the TV via HDMI eARC (or ARC). LG has also promised to fix the eARC issue (PCM being limited to 2.0 channels) affecting 2019 models. 2020 models come with the fix at launch while 2019 models will receive a firmware update sometime this year."

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/review....&id=1585020920
Interesting.... I do feel though like I've been kicked in the nuts that it sounds like it could be another six months before this fix shows up... it's ridiculous.
post #1370 of 1409 Old 03-26-2020, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Interesting.... I do feel though like I've been kicked in the nuts that it sounds like it could be another six months before this fix shows up... it's ridiculous.
Yes, especially now that so many people are either working from home or not working at all. It's a small price to pay though in order to prevent any further outbreak.

lujan
641 Ultra HD
729 HD
4 SD
post #1371 of 1409 Old 03-26-2020, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

There are workarounds for not having LPCM 5.1/7.1 passthrough. For a gaming PC you just use a second HDMI output just for audio.
post #1372 of 1409 Old 03-26-2020, 10:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
There are workarounds for not having LPCM 5.1/7.1 passthrough. For a gaming PC you just use a second HDMI output just for audio.
I installed the Dolby Atmos app on my PC, and it seems I'm now getting surround from those games that support Dolby surround (not just Atmos) whereas I only got stereo before. This is PC->C9->AVR, of course.
post #1373 of 1409 Old 03-26-2020, 10:18 AM
Advanced Member

LG C9 eARC Info Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflex-Arc View Post
I installed the Dolby Atmos app on my PC, and it seems I'm now getting surround from those games that support Dolby surround (not just Atmos) whereas I only got stereo before. This is PC->C9->AVR, of course.
That's the other workaround. The Xbox One can do the same thing. It wraps LPCM 7.1 + Atmos in a Dolby MAT container. It looks to the TV as bitstream so doesn't hit the raw LPCM limitation.

Should work with all games and not just ones that support Dolby based on what others have reported.
dfa973 likes this.

Last edited by avernar; 03-26-2020 at 12:40 PM.
post #1374 of 1409 Old 03-26-2020, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
There are workarounds for PC gamers... everyone else, those with console games or media players that need PCM output are pretty much screwed. For every PC gamer that might be affected by this problem there are like 10 or 100 PS4, Xbox or ATV owners who would like to see it fixed and for them the only real solution is to hook their console up to an AVR as first device in chain.
post #1375 of 1409 Old 03-26-2020, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
There are workarounds for PC gamers... everyone else, those with console games or media players that need PCM output are pretty much screwed. For every PC gamer that might be affected by this problem there are like 10 or 100 PS4, Xbox or ATV owners who would like to see it fixed and for them the only real solution is to hook their console up to an AVR as first device in chain.
As I wrote earlier, Xbox One can use Dolby Atmos (MAT LPCM 7.1 + Atmos) as a workaround. I have mine hooked up to the TV and have full 7.1 even in non Atmos games.

Only PCs and the Xbox need to be connected to the TV because of VRR. There is no loss of features in connecting a PS4 or ATV to the AVR. That's where my PS4 and ATV are hooked up right now.

Don't get me wrong. I'd like to have the fix sooner rather than later. I'd move my PS4 to the TV to shave off a little latency. The ATV can stay hooked up to AVR along with the Shield, UHD player, and FibeTV box.
dfa973 likes this.
post #1376 of 1409 Old 03-27-2020, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi Guys,

I have been following this topic for a while and I have a question which has bothered me for quite a while:

My setup will be (by the end of this year) as follows:

- LG CX 65
- Marantz SR 5014 (one HDMI port for eARC)
- Xbox Series X
- Xiaomi Mi Box S

Now I would love to make use of the XSX's full functions and connect it it to an HDMI 2.1 port on the TV (to support e.g. 4K at 120hz, VRR, etc), but on the other hand, I want the receiver to be connected via eARC:

https://imgur.com/xCUWri0

Would the LG oled CX 65 support this construction? I ask this since I am slightly lost - can I hookup the XSX to any HDMI port to make use of the 2.1 functions (so are all HDMI ports 2.1)? And does only 1 port (as seen on the picture) support eARC for use with my Marantz SR 5014? This, as hooking up the XSX directly to my Marantz SR 5014 would not make sense, since it cannot fully support the XSX with HDMI 2.1 unfortunately..

As always, I am very grateful with your help

Stay Safe

Jan
post #1377 of 1409 Old 03-27-2020, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdl15 View Post
Hi Guys,

I have been following this topic for a while and I have a question which has bothered me for quite a while:

My setup will be (by the end of this year) as follows:

- LG CX 65
- Marantz SR 5014 (one HDMI port for eARC)
- Xbox Series X
- Xiaomi Mi Box S

Now I would love to make use of the XSX's full functions and connect it it to an HDMI 2.1 port on the TV (to support e.g. 4K at 120hz, VRR, etc), but on the other hand, I want the receiver to be connected via eARC:

https://imgur.com/xCUWri0

Would the LG oled CX 65 support this construction? I ask this since I am slightly lost - can I hookup the XSX to any HDMI port to make use of the 2.1 functions (so are all HDMI ports 2.1)? And does only 1 port (as seen on the picture) support eARC for use with my Marantz SR 5014? This, as hooking up the XSX directly to my Marantz SR 5014 would not make sense, since it cannot fully support the XSX with HDMI 2.1 unfortunately..

As always, I am very grateful with your help

Stay Safe

Jan
First of all, this thread is for C9 eARC info, not for questions or for the CX. That being said, you can hook up the XSX to any HDMI port on the C9 or CX for full HDMI 2.1 and hook the receiver up to HDMI port 2 for eARC to get full audio.
post #1378 of 1409 Old 03-27-2020, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdl15 View Post
Now I would love to make use of the XSX's full functions and connect it it to an HDMI 2.1 port on the TV (to support e.g. 4K at 120hz, VRR, etc), but on the other hand, I want the receiver to be connected via eARC
I currently have my Xbox One X connected to the C9 on HDMI 3 to take advantage of HDMI 2.1 VRR and ALLLM. The audio is fed back to my AVR over eARC. When I get an XSX it will take the place of the Xbox One X on HDMI 3 so I'll be able to use HDMI 2.1 4K120.

The CX will behave just like the C9 in this regard with the exception that the CX should already have the LPCM fix.
post #1379 of 1409 Old 03-27-2020, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCTuba View Post
First of all, this thread is for C9 eARC info, not for questions or for the CX.
Pretty much all the information in this thread applies to the CX as well. What he's asking is just a valid for a C9 user doing the same thing. It is an eARC related question.

Shall we also shoo away the E9 owners?
dfa973 likes this.
post #1380 of 1409 Old 03-28-2020, 06:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
If you can enable Dolby Atmos for Home Theater you'll get 7.1 LPCM out from other sources than games, I'm using it with MPC-HC so it should work with all DirectShow players. You need to enable eARC passthrough on the TV. With the native Windows 10 Movies app and (I suspect) with Netflix and other native Windows 10 apps (maybe all Media Foundation apps) you can even get Dolby Atmos for Headphones to work with height virtualization. I'd say it's worth the 15 bucks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page