LG C9 eARC Info Thread - Page 8 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 181Likes

post #211 of 813 Old 06-21-2019, 03:05 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
The wording of the last Sony image, the eARC setting, has me a bit confused as the OPPO is not connected to HDMI3 eARC/ARC input, it's connected to HDMI2 while HDMI3 is the connection between the Sony display and the Denon AVR.
That is correct. eARC only functions between the TV and AVR. "output high quality sound... (from other connected devices) ...to HDMI3"

It would be more clear if it said "output high quality sound to HDMI3, from..."
Keenan likes this.

LG 65" C9; Denon AVR-S750H
5.1.2: Emotiva Airmotiv C2, T-Zero (x2), E1 (x4); HSU VTF-2

Last edited by Baff; 06-21-2019 at 03:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 813 Old 06-22-2019, 01:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
Unfortunately I don't have this information but will add sound bars to the list as we get more info on which ones work.
Unlike in my home theater, in my vacation home with my new 55” C9 but no AVR I am just looking for a soundbar with the functional simplicity of TV speakers (that is, TV remote turns on and off TV and soundbar together and adjusts volume...reliably!), and if I’m going to get one I would like it to sound as good as possible. I was going to get the LG SL8YG simply for (hopefully) compatibility (even if there are better sounding soundbars but with possibly less,compatibility) and I was hoping to run sources (set top box, Blu-ray, maybe Roku unless I am happy enough with the LG TV apps) to the TV and connect to the soundbar via ARC.

Questions:

1. Is it true that the eARC output on the C9 will only send compressed audio formats such as compressed ATMOS to the soundbar since the soundbar’s HDMI is ARC and not eARC? And in fact the only way to achieve noncompressed signal in this situation is to find a soundbar with an eARC input? (Assuming that even then, eARC to eARC would result in the promised compatibility between soundbar and C9).

2.And, despite my searching, I have not yet found a single soundbar that has an eARC input. (I saw an article from October 2018 stating that Sony was adding eARC to its z9f and 5000 soundbars via firmware updates, but that certainly has not appeared as such on their website specs.) Let alone if there are compatibility issues even if a eARC soundbar could be found.

3. And, therefore, no ATMOS soundbar is yet capable of reproducing a proper noncompressed ATMOS (and other hi-res) signal, and therefore I need to either wait while listening to my crappy TV speakers until a soundbar with eARC comes out, or buy a soundbar with non-enhanced ARC and say “good enough”.

Or am I just totally confused?
post #213 of 813 Old 06-22-2019, 04:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Quote:
Been trying to catch up on these posts and I have to run out again but I tried playing the same set of files with the ARC toggle set to off and they still all played back just as they had with it set to on, that is to say, still full HD(DTS-HD/DDTHD and or LPCM.
Thank you for your tests!

Quote:
This seems to prove that EARC on the Sony sets even with all CEC functions turned off by the consumer. Which is the way it’s supposed to work. So the TV is negotiating and setting up an EARC delivery to the Denon even when the Denon has the ARC feature turned off.
Yes.

I was expecting that with the Denon's X4500H ARC setting set to OFF that eARC to be OFF too, but it seems that it's not the case - probably Denon's eARC activates/deactivates itself based on the presence or not of an eARC TV - and probably the TV (not the AVR/soundbar) is in the control of the eARC status - you can turn ON/OFF the eARC only from the TV endpoint.

We still need to confirm with an eARC working 2018/2019 Denon receiver connected to a C9:
1. if CEC*/HDMI Control/SimpLink can be disabled on both C9 and AVR and that eARC is still working;
2. if ARC can be disabled on the Denon/Marantz and that eARC is still working;
3. if eARC is still working with a CEC-less cable/adapter between the C9 and a 2018/2019 Denon/Marantz AVR (we already know the 2018 Pioneer VSX-LX503 case, where eARC is killed without a working CEC bus between the C9 and AVR);

* - the user controllable/visible part of CEC [sic!]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #214 of 813 Old 06-22-2019, 05:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmgrenley View Post
1. Is it true that the eARC output on the C9 will only send compressed audio formats such as compressed ATMOS to the soundbar since the soundbar’s HDMI is ARC and not eARC?
Yes.

The Audio Return Channel (ARC) introduced with HDMI 1.4 function in AV receivers or soundbars in general supports the same formats that are traditionally sent through S/P-DIF interfaces (optical or coaxial connections). These are the following formats:
  • PCM (2 channel)
  • Dolby Digital (up to 5.1 channel)
  • DTS Digital Surround (up to 5.1 channel)
---- recent AVRs or soundbars, but not all, you must check! ----
  • Dolby Digital Plus (DD+, sometimes limited to 5.1 channel)
  • Dolby Atmos (based on Dolby Digital Plus/DD+, sometimes limited to 5.1 channel)

The enhanced Audio Return Channel (eARC) function in selected AV receivers or soundbars will allow for additional formats to be transported via eARC:
  • Dolby Digital Plus (up to 7.1 channel)
  • Dolby TrueHD (up to 7.1 channel)
  • Dolby Atmos (via Dolby TrueHD)
  • DTS-HD High Resolution Audio (up to 7.1 channel)
  • DTS-HD Master Audio (up to 7.1 channel)
  • DTS:X

Quote:
And in fact the only way to achieve noncompressed signal in this situation is to find a soundbar with an eARC input?
Yes.

Quote:
(Assuming that even then, eARC to eARC would result in the promised compatibility between soundbar and C9).
Yes.

Quote:
2.And, despite my searching, I have not yet found a single soundbar that has an eARC input. (I saw an article from October 2018 stating that Sony was adding eARC to its z9f and 5000 soundbars via firmware updates, but that certainly has not appeared as such on their website specs.) Let alone if there are compatibility issues even if a eARC soundbar could be found.
There are not many eARC soundbars, actually...

Quote:
On 19 October 2018: Sony confirms that the HT-Z9F (HT-ZF9) and HT-X9000F (HT-XF9000) soundbars as well as the STR-DN1080 and STR-DH790 AV receivers have also received the eARC update.
eARC was introduced in firmware update version 2.016 for Sony HT-Z9F soundbar.

The Bose Soundbar 700 appears to support eARC.

LG & Samsung do not appear to have eARC soundbars.

Quote:
3. And, therefore, no ATMOS soundbar is yet capable of reproducing a proper noncompressed ATMOS (and other hi-res) signal, and therefore I need to either wait while listening to my crappy TV speakers until a soundbar with eARC comes out, or buy a soundbar with non-enhanced ARC and say “good enough”.
Yes. You can wait so the eARC soundbars availability widens.

Or you may further investigate how eARC works or not on the available soundbars:
Sony HT-Z9F
Sony HT-ZF9
Sony HT-X9000F
Sony HT-XF9000
Bose Soundbar 700
anwsmh and yip7 like this.
post #215 of 813 Old 06-22-2019, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Does anyone know why TrueHD Atmos playing from the TV (USB/Emby/Plex) is not being pass through to a eARC receiver (Denon x4500h)? I have tried all the settings. There is also a post here asking LG: https://lgcommunity.us.com/discussion/4633/c9-earc-not-passing-truehd-atmos-through-to-receiver
post #216 of 813 Old 06-22-2019, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 4744 Post(s)
Liked: 2768
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-cimo View Post
Does anyone know why TrueHD Atmos playing from the TV (USB/Emby/Plex) is not being pass through to a eARC receiver (Denon x4500h)? I have tried all the settings. There is also a post here asking LG: https://lgcommunity.us.com/discussion/4633/c9-earc-not-passing-truehd-atmos-through-to-receiver
Does your post look alright to you? This is what it looks like when I'm reading it:

lujan
571 Ultra HD
725 HD
4 SD
post #217 of 813 Old 06-22-2019, 10:57 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
Does your post look alright to you? This is what it looks like when I'm reading it:

Does anyone know why TrueHD Atmos playing from the TV (USB/Emby/Plex) is not being pass through to a eARC receiver (Denon x4500h)? I have tried all the settings. There is also a post here asking LG: https://lgcommunity.us.com/discussio...gh-to-receiver
Strange it looked allright on my phone. All the "s" were replaced with "s" I fixed my message in the quote above.
lujan and anwsmh like this.
post #218 of 813 Old 06-22-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfa973 View Post
We still need to confirm with an eARC working 2018/2019 Denon receiver connected to a C9:
1. if CEC*/HDMI Control/SimpLink can be disabled on both C9 and AVR and that eARC is still working;
3. if eARC is still working with a CEC-less cable/adapter between the C9 and a 2018/2019 Denon/Marantz AVR (we already know the 2018 Pioneer VSX-LX503 case, where eARC is killed without a working CEC bus between the C9 and AVR);

Remind me where to find HDMI Control on the Denon and I will test 1 & 2 with my 2019 S750H. I've seen it before, but not finding it now. (Edit: Nevermind, found it under Video settings, testing now.)

I don't have a CEC-less cable and all my hdmi cables are in use so I don't want to bend pins on any of them, So I will leave #3 to someone else.

Last edited by Baff; 06-22-2019 at 11:33 AM.
post #219 of 813 Old 06-22-2019, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 4744 Post(s)
Liked: 2768
Quote:
Strange it looked allright on my phone. All the "s" were replaced with "s" I fixed my message in the quote above.
I posted to the LG site as well indicating eARC not working at all using C9 and Denon X6400H.

lujan
571 Ultra HD
725 HD
4 SD
post #220 of 813 Old 06-22-2019, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Does anyone know why TrueHD Atmos playing from the TV (USB/Emby/Plex) is not being pass through to a eARC receiver (Denon x4500h)? I have tried all the settings.
Because the C9 apparently does not support HD audio from USB or internal apps. This is also a known problem with the eARC Sony TVs.

You must use sources connected to the C9 HDMI ports for eARC HD audio to pass-through.
post #221 of 813 Old 06-22-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Yes.

The Audio Return Channel (ARC) introduced with HDMI 1.4 function in AV receivers or soundbars in general supports the same formats that are traditionally sent through S/P-DIF interfaces (optical or coaxial connections). These are the following formats:
  • PCM (2 channel)
  • Dolby Digital (up to 5.1 channel)
  • DTS Digital Surround (up to 5.1 channel)
---- recent AVRs or soundbars, but not all, you must check! ----
  • Dolby Digital Plus (DD+, sometimes limited to 5.1 channel)
  • Dolby Atmos (based on Dolby Digital Plus/DD+, sometimes limited to 5.1 channel)

The enhanced Audio Return Channel (eARC) function in selected AV receivers or soundbars will allow for additional formats to be transported via eARC:
  • Dolby Digital Plus (up to 7.1 channel)
  • Dolby TrueHD (up to 7.1 channel)
  • Dolby Atmos (via Dolby TrueHD)
  • DTS-HD High Resolution Audio (up to 7.1 channel)
  • DTS-HD Master Audio (up to 7.1 channel)
  • DTS:X

Yes.

Yes.

There are not many eARC soundbars, actually...

eARC was introduced in firmware update version 2.016 for Sony HT-Z9F soundbar.

The Bose Soundbar 700 appears to support eARC.

LG & Samsung do not appear to have eARC soundbars.

Yes. You can wait so the eARC soundbars availability widens.

Or you may further investigate how eARC works or not on the available soundbars:
Sony HT-Z9F
Sony HT-ZF9
Sony HT-X9000F
Sony HT-XF9000
Bose Soundbar 700
Wow, dfa973, that is the most information I have yet received anywhere! Thank you!

So, assuming that the Sony z9F soundbar has eARC, I would just buy that now and call it a day, if I could be assured that it was compatible with the C9. And by compatible, I mean that the LG TV remote controls soundbar power, volume, and muting, and of course source switching at the TV (since all external sources are connected via TV HDMI inputs). So I don’t have to deal with a soundbar remote in daily use (after setup or for more complex adjustments).

Isn’t TV eARC-to-soundbar eARC supposed to ASSURE that compatibility? Or am I mistaken?

I note that the Sony website specs for the HT-Z9F do not mention eARC, but I assume the firmware update is confirmed and ? Intact on newly sold units?

And, by the way, if all external sources connect to HDMI inputs on the C9, then you would connect the TV eARC input to the soundbar eARC output to OUTPUT sound from TV to soundbar, because eARC (or any ARc) is bidirectional, correct?

I read in some post that LG ARC was not necessarily compatible with Sony ARC. But can I rest easy that any company’s eARC, by its very nature, is compatible with any other company’s eARC? Or is it more complicated than that? Because buying online (there are no home theater stores in Seaside, OR!), trying, reboxing, and sending back a soundbar is not easy.
anwsmh likes this.
post #222 of 813 Old 06-22-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Because the C9 apparently does not support HD audio from USB or internal apps. This is also a known problem with the eARC Sony TVs.

You must use sources connected to the C9 HDMI ports for eARC HD audio to pass-through.
At the risk of asking too many questions;

Does this mean that, in order to get noncompressed hi res and Atmos sound from Netflix, for example, one would need to NOT use the C9 internal Netflix app, but instead hook up a Roku to an HDMI input on the TV?
post #223 of 813 Old 06-22-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:

Complete failure on #1 . I tried with HDMI Control/SimpLink turned off with both Denon and C9, no HD audio gets passed through. Turning it on with either still gives no HD audio. HD audio only passes when CEC is turned on with both devices.
Considering the results of #1 , it should be no surprise that #2 also failed since HDMI Control has to be off in order to turn ARC off.
Seems unlikely #3 would work, considering the failures above.

I am testing with a file that has only a Dolby TrueHD track playing on my Shield > TV > AVR. When any of the CEC options were turned off, audio stopped, it did not get downgraded to a lossy version.
dfa973 likes this.

Last edited by Baff; 06-22-2019 at 12:11 PM.
post #224 of 813 Old 06-22-2019, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I won't even pretend to understand all of the in's and out's of eARC, but I have what I hope is a simple question.

I'm looking to pair a more modern receiver with my new C9, and have been looking in particular at the Denon 2018 and 2019 lines. My primary goal is streamlining HDMI source switching, and supporting my 4K capable devices. I only have a 5.1 speaker setup, and I'm not looking to add any additional speakers.

So the question really is, is the difference in price between 2018 and 2019 worthwhile, an increase of about $200 on average for the models I've been looking at, S940, vs S950, X1500 vs X1600.

My current setup is as follows:

Speakers:
  • Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 SE’s, left front / right front / center
  • Ascend Acoustics CMT-170 SE’s, left rear / right rear
  • HSU VTF3-MK2 Subwoofer

Receiver:
  • Panasonic SA-XR57

Other:
  • Monoprice HDX(C)-501 5x1 HDMI switch
  • Harmony Hub

Source Devices:
  • Frontier cable STB - fine just running this through TV, don’t need to watch TV in full surround..
  • Xbox One X
  • Playstation 4
  • AppleTV 4K
  • Sony Blu-ray disc player, eventually to be replaced with a proper 4K blu-ray player
  • Retro consoles, only occasionally connected

Display:
  • LG OLED C9 65” (just replaced Panasonic TH-50PH9UK last week, still works fine)
post #225 of 813 Old 06-22-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewookie View Post
I won't even pretend to understand all of the in's and out's of eARC, but I have what I hope is a simple question.

I'm looking to pair a more modern receiver with my new C9, and have been looking in particular at the Denon 2018 and 2019 lines. My primary goal is streamlining HDMI source switching, and supporting my 4K capable devices. I only have a 5.1 speaker setup, and I'm not looking to add any additional speakers.

So the question really is, is the difference in price between 2018 and 2019 worthwhile, an increase of about $200 on average for the models I've been looking at, S940, vs S950, X1500 vs X1600.
I think the 2018 Denons don't support virtual height speakers and ALLM (Auto Low Latency Mode) passthrough for gaming. Otherwise I think the differences are fairly minor. As far as we know so far, the 2018/19s work equally well with the C9 (aside from ALLM).

(Edit: also not sure if 2018 models get HDCP 2.3 in an update)

Last edited by Baff; 06-22-2019 at 03:09 PM.
post #226 of 813 Old 06-22-2019, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baff View Post
I think the 2018 Denons don't support virtual height speakers and ALLM (Auto Low Latency Mode) passthrough for gaming. Otherwise I think the differences are fairly minor. As far as we know so far, the 2018/19s work equally well with the C9 (aside from ALLM).

(Edit: also not sure if 2018 models get HDCP 2.3 in an update)
The 2019 models gain eARC, which seemed like the biggest difference to me from the 2018 models. Based on this very long and informative thread, and my less than thorough understanding of eARC, i'm just trying to determine if I'd really gain anything by having an AVR that has and supports eARC.
post #227 of 813 Old 06-22-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
The 2019 models gain eARC, which seemed like the biggest difference to me from the 2018 models. Based on this very long and informative thread, and my less than thorough understanding of eARC, i'm just trying to determine if I'd really gain anything by having an AVR that has and supports eARC.
The 2018 models got eARC via a firmware update.
Keenan likes this.

post #228 of 813 Old 06-22-2019, 04:17 PM

Quote:
The 2018 models got eARC via a firmware update.

I may be wrong, but it seems like only the top models like the 3500 and up got the eARC firmware update. Most of those receivers are for 9.2 ch, it seems like that is overkill if I don't plan on expanding my speaker setup.
post #229 of 813 Old 06-22-2019, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3538 Post(s)
Liked: 2556
Quote:

I read in some post that LG ARC was not necessarily compatible with Sony ARC. But can I rest easy that any company’s eARC, by its very nature, is compatible with any other company’s eARC? Or is it more complicated than that? Because buying online (there are no home theater stores in Seaside, OR!), trying, reboxing, and sending back a soundbar is not easy.

Cross-platform compatibility has always been an issue with ARC. I wouldn't say that with eARC, which is still relatively new to consumers, that compatibility is guaranteed. All you can do is try.

If you want to take a road trip, there is a Video Only in Beaverton, OR, which is where I purchased my 65 C8 and UBK90. Knowledgeable folks, good prices, and a nice selection of tv's, receivers, soundbars, and other related goodies.
anwsmh likes this.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #230 of 813 Old 06-22-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:
I may be wrong, but it seems like only the top models like the 3500 and up got the eARC firmware update. Most of those receivers are for 9.2 ch, it seems like that is overkill if I don't plan on expanding my speaker setup.
Yes, you seem to be correct about the 940 & 1500. As far as eARC on a 5.1 system, you will be missing out on DTS:X which optimizes for whatever speaker setup you have. You will also be missing out on several 7.1 formats which might well sound better on your 5.1 system than some of the older 5.1 formats, though I am not sure about that.

post #231 of 813 Old 06-22-2019, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked: 479
I completed swap out of my Denon X4400H to the Denon X4500H and can report preliminary test results and some interesting findings.

1. Completed hardware swap and setup of Denon X4500H.
2. During X4500H did not elect to set up TV audio which leaves ARC and HDMI control turned off.
2. Removed Denon X4500H from LG C9 "connections manager".
3. At this point the Denon is not being controlled by the C9.
4. Begin playback of Panasonic 820 4K BD player which is connected to HDMI port 4 on C9.
5. C9 is connected to Denon monitor/ARC out on C9 HDMI port 2 (arc port).
6. Switch Denon to TV Audio input.
7. C9 is playing TV audio through TV speakers.
8. Enter C9 Audio menu and toggle HDMI Audio to ARC on.
9. Denon X4500H displays "stereo" and there is no audio being played back.
10. On C9 toggle from HDMI ARC to HDMI eARC and passthrough.
11. X4500H displays HD audio tracks.

Tested;

Atmos
DTS-X Master
True-HD + Neural X.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3469.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	523.6 KB
ID:	2583238   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3468.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	703.2 KB
ID:	2583240   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3466.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	208.6 KB
ID:	2583242   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3465.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	700.6 KB
ID:	2583244   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3459.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	672.2 KB
ID:	2583246  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3458.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	457.8 KB
ID:	2583248   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3457.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	867.0 KB
ID:	2583250   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3454.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	625.1 KB
ID:	2583252   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3461 2.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	726.9 KB
ID:	2583254  
Attached Images

Keenan, lujan, Jacob R. and 4 others like this.
post #232 of 813 Old 06-22-2019, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Grats!

I will have to do a bit more testing with my 750 and HDMI Control. Maybe turning it off and then rebooting TV and AVR, so that they reconnect with HDMI-C off.
dfa973 likes this.

post #233 of 813 Old 06-22-2019, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Grats!

I will have to do a bit more testing with my 750 and HDMI Control. Maybe turning it off and then rebooting TV and AVR, so that they reconnect with HDMI-C off.
It's worth noting that after switching out the hardware the C9 was still showing the Denon as a "sound bar". I just went ahead and deleted it from connections manager as mentioned.

I will have to update 1st post in this thread with this new information.

Also.... I just finished programming my Harmony One and everything is working wonderfully. About the only negative of this setup is that you have no OSD from eARC sources for volume changes and if you want to change the settings on the Denon then you will have to switch to the input it is on since otherwise the OSD is not working.
dfa973 likes this.
post #234 of 813 Old 06-22-2019, 05:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
I completed swap out of my Denon X4400H to the Denon X4500H and can report preliminary test results and some interesting findings.

1. Completed hardware swap and setup of Denon X4500H.
2. During X4500H did not elect to set up TV audio which leaves ARC and HDMI control turned off.
2. Removed Denon X4500H from LG C9 "connections manager".
3. At this point the Denon is not being controlled by the C9.
4. Begin playback of Panasonic 820 4K BD player which is connected to HDMI port 4 on C9.
5. C9 is connected to Denon monitor/ARC out on C9 HDMI port 2 (arc port).
6. Switch Denon to TV Audio input.
7. C9 is playing TV audio through TV speakers.
8. Enter C9 Audio menu and toggle HDMI Audio to ARC on.
9. Denon X4500H displays "stereo" and there is no audio being played back.
10. On C9 toggle from HDMI ARC to HDMI eARC and passthrough.

Tested;

Atmos
DTS-X Master
True-HD + Neural X.
jmpage2: Could you try using the C9's Amazon Prime app to see what you get for sound through your 4500? It would be amazing if not setting-up the 4500 was the key to this puzzle!
post #235 of 813 Old 06-22-2019, 05:27 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4037 Post(s)
Liked: 3752
@jmpage2 , glad to see you got it working!
anwsmh likes this.
post #236 of 813 Old 06-22-2019, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhmercer View Post
jmpage2: Could you try using the C9's Amazon Prime app to see what you get for sound through your 4500? It would be amazing if not setting-up the 4500 was the key to this puzzle!
Is there a specific program and sound format you are interested in seeing tested?

I tested a variety of titles and everything come up on the Denon as DD+.
post #237 of 813 Old 06-22-2019, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
@jmpage2 , glad to see you got it working!
After all of this grief it appears to work just like your Sony set does.

The problem is there was a pile of low quality information being provided early on coupled with two legitimate issues,

1. multi-channel PCM does not currently work through eARC on the C9.
2. 2017/18 Denon Marantz units like the 4400, 3400, 7012, etc., do not work.
Keenan and anwsmh like this.
post #238 of 813 Old 06-22-2019, 05:43 PM

Quote:
It's worth noting that after switching out the hardware the C9 was still showing the Denon as a "sound bar". I just went ahead and deleted it from connections manager as mentioned.

I will have to update 1st post in this thread with this new information.

Also.... I just finished programming my Harmony One and everything is working wonderfully. About the only negative of this setup is that you have no OSD from eARC sources for volume changes and if you want to change the settings on the Denon then you will have to switch to the input it is on since otherwise the OSD is not working.
I did roughly what you did and got HD audio working with HDMI Control/ARC set to Off on Denon, but when I turned off SimpLink on the C9, audio went away again. I turned SimpLink back on and still had no audio. I then added my Denon back to Connections and HDMI control of the AVR worked with the tv remote even though HDMI Control/ARC were still set to Off in the Denon settings. Still some weird stuff going on.

post #239 of 813 Old 06-22-2019, 05:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Is there a specific program and sound format you are interested in seeing tested?

I tested a variety of titles and everything come up on the Denon as DD+.
Jack Ryan 4K would do nicely. Trying to see if you get Atmos.
post #240 of 813 Old 06-22-2019, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I did roughly what you did and got HD audio working with HDMI Control/ARC set to Off on Denon, but when I turned off SimpLink on the C9, audio went away again. I turned SimpLink back on and still had no audio. I then added my Denon back to Connections and HDMI control of the AVR worked with the tv remote even though HDMI Control/ARC were still set to Off in the Denon settings. Still some weird stuff going on.
I don't know whether simplilink on my C9 is currently on or off, with the Denon removed from the connection manager and HDMI control turned off on the Denon there is no way for the TV to control the AVR at this time and the eARC is fully functional. The TV is passing all audio sources directly on to the Denon when the Denon is on the TV Audio input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page