Buyer Beware - LG Support is the Worse - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
  • 1 Post By smitty
  • 3 Post By Ken Ross
  • 1 Post By Ken Ross
  • 2 Post By BillP
  • 1 Post By smitty

post #1 of 26 Old 06-16-2019, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Buyer Beware - LG Support is the Worse

Just for potential buyers of LG tvs, be aware that their support is the worst and you will have a hard time with them if you have any issues. Spend the little extra for Sony OLED.

Back in Dec I purchased a E8 oled to replace a very bad tinting Panasonic Oled. The Panasonic replaced another faulty E8 I had before that LG called "working normally" but refunded me out of good faith. Despite that tv had the panel replaced and then had a bunch of horizontal lines and circles all over the screen, viewable in all content. But this was normal to them.

So anyways, I got this E8 in Dec and in March it developed a severely dark picture. LG sent a tech out and was told to just reset the tv with the service remote and all would be fine. That fixed nothing and instead caused power failures as well. They sent the guy back to replace the main board and that solved the dark picture for 2 hours. It then went back to being dark, power issues persisted and I now had audio issues as well.

LG then said they would try to find a different solution. After 6 weeks they said that they would send the tech again as they replaced an E8 previously and I was no longer able to buy another LG tv, even though I signed nothing agreeing to this. The tech has told them there is nothing he can do a recommended a replacement numerous times yet LG ignores these requests.

Now my dark picture has turned into no picture at all. Thursday night the tv completely lost all video including on screen menus. LG continues tonrefuse to do anything to help me out and the tv is 5 months old.

Be very careful dealing with this company and their terrible service. I wish I spent the few extra hundred dollars to not have to deal with them and I never will again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 06-16-2019, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_42 View Post
So anyways, I got this E8 in Dec and in March it developed a severely dark picture. LG sent a tech out and was told to just reset the tv with the service remote and all would be fine. That fixed nothing and instead caused power failures as well. They sent the guy back to replace the main board and that solved the dark picture for 2 hours. It then went back to being dark, power issues persisted and I now had audio issues as well.

The 04.10.31 firmware was released in march, which caused the gamma to be much darker, especially the low end. Could this be the reason for your dark picture?

The new mainboard probably had an older firmware pre-installed. Did you do a firmware update after the replacement and then the picture became dark again?
post #3 of 26 Old 06-16-2019, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk82 View Post
The 04.10.31 firmware was released in march, which caused the gamma to be much darker, especially the low end. Could this be the reason for your dark picture?

The new mainboard probably had an older firmware pre-installed. Did you do a firmware update after the replacement and then the picture became dark again?
Nope. I went to work after the main board replacement. Was still on 4.10.15 when I lost all video and when the picture became dark both times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 06-16-2019, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 986
Something is fishy here. You keep posting complaints about LG and your problems with this TV, but something doesn't compute.
Ken Ross likes this.
post #5 of 26 Old 06-16-2019, 05:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 28
what country are you in?? no panny OLED here in the states, so probably a different support organization.
post #6 of 26 Old 06-16-2019, 06:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I believe he is in Canada if I remember correctly.
post #7 of 26 Old 06-16-2019, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

Yes I'm in Canada.

The biggest problem is LG is saying that because the previous E8 I had which was also faulty and they replaced is the reasoning why they won't replace the new E8, which with my luck is also faulty. Even though the service tech has deemed it unrepairable and requested a replacement.
post #8 of 26 Old 06-16-2019, 08:20 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Yes I'm in Canada.

The biggest problem is LG is saying that because the previous E8 I had which was also faulty and they replaced is the reasoning why they won't replace the new E8, which with my luck is also faulty. Even though the service tech has deemed it unrepairable and requested a replacement.
Where did you buy it? Best Buy? Visions?

Surely a reputable retailer will try to make you whole. And if they don't, the Consumer Protection Act will.
post #9 of 26 Old 06-16-2019, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

Bought it at Visions. They will do nothing as it's past the return date. Just contacted the peovincial consumer protection agency. Guess we'll see what they'll do.
post #10 of 26 Old 06-16-2019, 09:54 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked: 2311
^^^^^^ Never had a problem with LG support on either of my LG tv’s because I’ve never had to call them

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #11 of 26 Old 06-17-2019, 02:11 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
My C6 now glows in the dark and they both told me it was perfectly within specification and a black screen was only possible within a black hole where there is a absence of light.
post #12 of 26 Old 06-17-2019, 04:29 AM

Quoted: 7272 Post(s)
Liked: 8042
I don’t think I’d make a generalized statement about any company’s customer service based on one poster. He’s already had one unit replaced which wouldn’t have happened if the customer service was as poor as claimed. When the same customer asks for yet another replacement on a new unit, you can’t blame a company for hesitating. We may not know the entire story. I also can’t help but noticing that he claimed his Panasonic was sub-par too. Hmm, that’s a lot of ‘bad luck’.

This is not to say the poster may be incorrect, but I’d like to hear both sides.
smitty, dfa973 and fatuglyguy like this.

Current displays- LG 65C9, LG 77G7, LG 65B6
post #13 of 26 Old 06-17-2019, 04:42 AM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I just don’t think oled is for this guy. 3 bad TV sets we know of?

Hate to break it to you but Sony is no better support wise. The first rule of thumb is do no harm to make things worse. If I got a new set it’s gonna be scrutinized at the onset. Second, warranty by credit card of reseller, and third, if it was bad enough for them to do a buy back, why ever did you go back man?

Just wants to complain. Most companies customer service is so so and there are good and bad reps.

Last edited by BarrettF77; 06-17-2019 at 04:45 AM.
post #14 of 26 Old 06-17-2019, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

I did scrutinize the set when I got it and it was fine. Worked great for two and a half months and then all went wrong. Not sure how this is made up when I have no video at all to speak of, only audio. The set won't even display the picture setting menu. And yes I could understand LG questioning me asking for a replacement again, but if you read correctly, the service tech that did the repairs is the one requesting it, not me. LG needs to go off of what the service tech says. Not ignoring them and continuously sending them out. Causing me to take a day off work, not get paid, and the tech not to show as he has already stated to LG that he can't fix the issues.
post #15 of 26 Old 06-17-2019, 10:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1797 Post(s)
Liked: 1230
Feel for you. I've never had such bad luck with a TV, but years ago I had a JVC receiver that could never stay repaired. They would fix one thing and every few weeks something else would pop up. It only cost about $200, so I just threw it out after a while. Having to unhook and re-hook after each repair wasn't worth it.

Hope things work out.
post #16 of 26 Old 06-18-2019, 07:53 AM

Then at this point you should avoid LG or any manuf that you have this luck with.
post #17 of 26 Old 06-19-2019, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

So I was finally able to speak with the executive team manager and he offered me the choice of ixong or just replacing at this point. I went with the replacement. Funny as to how there was no lame excuses or reasons coming from him like the rest of the csr team did.

And yes, I will not be getting a LG anymore.
post #18 of 26 Old 06-19-2019, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 7272 Post(s)
Liked: 8042
So twice LG agreed to replace two different models of their TVs and yet you’d never buy another LG? Do you really think you’d meet with more success, let alone the same success, from another brand?

At any rate good luck with your replacement.
markmon1 likes this.

Current displays- LG 65C9, LG 77G7, LG 65B6
post #19 of 26 Old 06-19-2019, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Do you really think you’d meet with more success, let alone the same success, from another brand?
Raises hand!

I have a Samsung 4k 3D flagship model. I didn't purchase any extra warranty of any kind. I bought it in 2015, about 4 1/2 years ago, open box from a mom and pops.

A couple months ago I called Samsung using a number I googled, my one and only communication, because the panel developed some light bleed on the right side over time. Pretty minor tbh. The edges of the panel felt hot to me although I seldom if ever actually touched them except when adjusting the level from time to time since it hangs on the wall and after a while of bass thumping it tends to move slightly.

I spent 10 minutes talking to the one rep that answered my call. Two days later two repairmen showed up and checked it out. 2 weeks later both of them installed a brand new screen in a half hour and hung the 65" back on the wall and drove off. No paper work, no bill, no nothing, except an apology that I had a problem and that it took 2 weeks for the new screen to arrive because it was 3D. They called it a parts and labor courtesy to me.

HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players
W10 1903 / MPC-BE\HC / PotPlayer / PowerDVD 19 / DVDFab Player 3 / KODI 19 videoplayer
GTX960 4GB / RGB Full 4:4:4 / 8bit Desktop mode =60Hz / 10/12bit Video mode = Matched Refresh rates IE 23,24,25,60Hz
65JS8500 UHD HDR 3D / Denon S720W
post #20 of 26 Old 06-19-2019, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

My issue with not buying another LG is the bad support I was getting from the csr team and executive service csr. Both constantly refused to help. Refused to do a replacement. Constantly just hung up on me with no answers. Made me wait over 6 weeks for an answer and then coming back with please send the bill of sale and we will schedule a 4th repair. 6 weeks. They could have done that after 1 week. The bill of sale was requested 5 times. Overall this experience was terrible. My service tech said when he spoke with LG, those people that were "helping" believed I was making everything up so they refused to help. Despite them receiving reports from the service tech outlining the problems, which they just ignored.

It took finding the managements contact and speaking with him to get the replacement authorized with no hassle. Only 3 months after the initial issue was reported. His service was great and I appreciate the second replacement. But I won't be getting another LG as I worry what will happen if I have issues again. This time was enough of a hassle. What will the next time bring. Better to start new with a new company where there is no history.
post #21 of 26 Old 06-19-2019, 01:17 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 418
And if you think you'll get better customer service from Sony or Samsung, I've got a bridge to sell you. IMO, I would consider 2 replacements pretty good customer service. And they can all be a pain to deal with (LG, Sony, Samsung, etc, etc).
Ken Ross and kucharsk like this.
post #22 of 26 Old 06-19-2019, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not saying two replacements is not good service. The bad service was from the front line res who constantly hung up on me, made excuses for not providing warranty service, and were very poor to deal with and provided no updates. It took finding a managers email through google to get a resolution, the same person these front line reps refused to let me tslk to when calling in and hung up.

The difference with Samsung and Sony is there is no prior dealing with them so that front line staff might be more willin g to help with issues then the LG staff was.

If this was a case of a problem in March and the repairs that didnt work and then they replaced it, great no issue with LG. But the 6 week wait and no help and terrible service for the last two months is the reason not to go back to LG.
post #23 of 26 Old 06-19-2019, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

In many years on this planet, in dealing with scores of customer reps from various companies, I have never had a single one of them hang up on me. And you say it's happened to you "constantly"? I'll say it again, and someone else said it also I think, there has to be more to the story than you are revealing. It would be very interesting to hear LG's side because the story you are telling seems fantastic. Sorry, that's just the way it seems.
markmon1 likes this.
post #24 of 26 Old 06-19-2019, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

I've explained the whole story. My first oled was a gallery style with speaker frame EA8800. After 11 months it started doing something weird with raised blacks. LG deemed normal. This continued to get worse and a year later they said it actually was an issue and I got a prorated cheque for it.

Ended up getting the E7 to replace it, but the E8 came out while I was still in my return period so I upgraded to the 2018 model. The E8 had the light bleed which theybdid the panel replacement. After the panel replacement it had the thick horizontal lines and circles, which according to LG was normal operation. Even the service tech said it wasnt normal. They replaced that one out of "good faith" even though there was an issue and told me never to buy their products again.

Replaced with a Panasonic oled that had severe tinting when viewed off angle so it did not work for my environment. It went back for another E8 as it had no tinting and the chances of getting another bad unit are slim.

2 months into ownership the issues started. In May I was told they were refusing the replacment because I was told never to buy their products. The service was bad and there were quite a few days were I had to call in multiple times after getting hung up on. When asking for an update they would just read off a script and tell me nothing. When asked to speak to the executive team I would always get they are busy but will call you back in 10 mins. They would never call back. To which I had to call again and ask to speak to the executive team and it would take 30 min to get them to transfer me over.

Glad I dealt with the manager today. He was very pleasant and willing to come up with a resolution today and let me pick the resolution I wanted.

That's the whole story.
post #25 of 26 Old 06-23-2019, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Just for potential buyers of LG tvs, be aware that their support is the worst and you will have a hard time with them if you have any issues. Spend the little extra for Sony OLED.

Back in Dec I purchased a E8 oled to replace a very bad tinting Panasonic Oled. The Panasonic replaced another faulty E8 I had before that LG called "working normally" but refunded me out of good faith. Despite that tv had the panel replaced and then had a bunch of horizontal lines and circles all over the screen, viewable in all content. But this was normal to them.

LG then said they would try to find a different solution. After 6 weeks they said that they would send the tech again as they replaced an E8 previously and I was no longer able to buy another LG tv, even though I signed nothing agreeing to this. The tech has told them there is nothing he can do a recommended a replacement numerous times yet LG ignores these requests.

Now my dark picture has turned into no picture at all. Thursday night the tv completely lost all video including on screen menus. LG continues tonrefuse to do anything to help me out and the tv is 5 months old.

Be very careful dealing with this company and their terrible service. I wish I spent the few extra hundred dollars to not have to deal with them and I never will again.
After 3 years of ownership, my B6 got a bad case of station logo burn-in. I contacted LG support and after a few emails w/screen pictures, they had a LG tech person come out and replaced the complete panel v.4 under warranty. Who says Apple is the only one with great customer support? Thanks LG electronics.

LG OLED65B6P (using i.rtings.com setting.)
Oppo UDP-203
Onkyo TX-RZ810B
Apple TV4
Polk Audio speakers 5.1
MonoPrice HDMI Certified cables
post #26 of 26 Old 06-23-2019, 05:54 PM

I think the OP is just upset he has to go through the hassle and by flaming this brand it makes him feel better. It’s half the story, and again he really is pushing to make us believe.

Now I’ve had reps disconnect the line before because they are not always stateside and I can’t speak as to why some do that. It happens with any company’s tech support as most outsource.

When I called LG about some other product of theirs it was handled and the rep while somewhat of a barrier to work with, was pleasant and did resolve my issues.

Conversely, I’ve had resistance from a company like Sony where the panel QC was so bad that defects had the polarization filter misaligned and that ended up making the middle of the screen white on a black background. Point being when you are paying top dollar you hope to not deal with this stuff. But most of these reps are the sales ones you get whether you spent 1,000 or 7,000 on a set.

Best way is to be short in description, be polite and ask for their help, and direct in your expectations. These reps sometimes need to feel like they have the power to change something. I get the feeling that isn’t how things went down with this LG scenario. But who knows. We only have one side and we keep going around in circles.

There’s no reason to get on here and tell us. The guys over in the Sony thread are so loyal it’s amazing how offended they get. Personally never cared. Go for the best brand with the best bang for the buck and doesn’t disrespect the customer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page