• 1 Post By WRXpilot
  • 1 Post By obveron

post #1 of 15 Old 06-26-2019, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 15
OLED vs LCD

Hey guys, looking at buying a 65" TV to go with my new Atmos setup. The two tv's I am looking at are the LG c8 which is about $2500 CDN on sale and the Sony XBR65X950G which is about the same. What are the main differences between these TV's? i know the LG is OLED and I think the Sony is an LCD. I haven't seen either in person but will be going soon. We don't game on this monitor much, it would be more for watching Netflix and Plex HD and 4k movies on. Lots of light in room during the day, obviously dark at night. Any help would be very much appreciated.

one other thought, my brother bought the C8 and says it is amazing, is the Sony in the same category?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-26-2019, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Sony is LCD. Oled will be better for movies, especially at night. I say Oled all the way.

Wysłane z mojego POCOPHONE F1 przy użyciu Tapatalka
post #3 of 15 Old 06-26-2019, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

i had a look at them both today at Bestbuy. Both look great, going to have to do a little more research!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 06-26-2019, 11:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 272
A showroom floor is going to be worst case scenario for an OLED. The OLED will pull way ahead in a dark room.
anwsmh likes this.
post #5 of 15 Old 06-27-2019, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter

it sure looked spectacular though.
post #6 of 15 Old 06-27-2019, 05:24 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 418
If you watch mainly at night, or need good side angle viewing, then OLED all the way. If you watch mainly during the day, cannot control the ambient light, and watch only directly in front of the display, then maybe LCD. You may want to look at Vizio for the latter. IMO, OLED is the best display available today, and wins the shoot-outs every year.
Redmist and anwsmh like this.
post #7 of 15 Old 06-27-2019, 06:25 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 136
The X950G is a particularly poor LCD when it comes to black levels (in it's price/feature category). It will not compete well with an OLED in dark or even dimmed viewing settings. I've compared them side by side personally and the OLED is an easy choice at a similar price if you do any movie watching at all.

If you watch a lot of sports/news in a sunny room, maybe I can see going X950G. Maybe. But it wouldn't be my first choice among LCDs, let alone against an OLED.
post #8 of 15 Old 06-27-2019, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXpilot View Post
The X950G is a particularly poor LCD when it comes to black levels (in it's price/feature category). It will not compete well with an OLED in dark or even dimmed viewing settings. I've compared them side by side personally and the OLED is an easy choice at a similar price if you do any movie watching at all.

If you watch a lot of sports/news in a sunny room, maybe I can see going X950G. Maybe. But it wouldn't be my first choice among LCDs, let alone against an OLED.
what would your first choice LCD be? I watch at night but my theatre is our living room and there is lots of ambient light during the day. Probably 50/50 daylight and night time.
post #9 of 15 Old 06-28-2019, 01:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
The only way that LCD ‘might’ beat the OLED is with bright sun directly on it. Im not convinced thatd be the case even then with that specific LCD. Just dont trust exactly what you see at the store. Like previously stated, that is THE WORST setting to see how a screen truly performs. Not the fault of the employees at those places, but they just hook them up straight out of the box, usually to poor signals/connections that are split out to 20 screens. That LCD will never beat the contrast/clarity of a the OLED. ESECIALLY if it is properly configured..
post #10 of 15 Old 06-28-2019, 03:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXpilot View Post

The 65" X950G does not have the X-Wide Angle feature that reduces contrast to IPS-like levels, so the black levels are not that bad. It is much brighter than OLEDs, but has a very narrow viewing angle. It's a good choice for daytime viewing in a bright room, but for nighttime viewing in a dark room the OLED will rule.
post #11 of 15 Old 06-28-2019, 08:21 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Woodhall View Post
what would your first choice LCD be? I watch at night but my theatre is our living room and there is lots of ambient light during the day. Probably 50/50 daylight and night time.
I would go either one of two directions:
1) Price no issue? Spend your full budget ($2500?) and get a Samsung Q80R; it has wider viewing angles than other 65" LCDs, without losing too much in the blacks thanks to effective local dimming that's much better than the X950G (still won't be the match of an OLED though). Also superior to the Sony for gaming, and is nearly as bright in HDR. OR
2) Given that no LCD is going to match an OLED for PQ, save a bunch of money and get a Vizio P Quantum or similar. PQ is virtually on the same level as the Samsungs/Sonys, at half the price. I, personally, find it very hard to justify spending OLED money for an LCD TV. But at half the cost? It gets a lot easier to justify.
Of course, Option 3: Buy an OLED. Obviously superior picture from day 1. My ONLY reservation is I'm still unconvinced of long-term burn-in resistance. I'm not okay with a $2.5k TV lasting <5 years. Ideally I'm looking for 10+. Some people think nothing of replacing TVs every 3-4 years, so it's really all about your expectations/priorities.
anwsmh likes this.
post #12 of 15 Old 06-28-2019, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

that Q80R is about $3700 in Canada, out of my budget this time around. The 65 C8 is $3k but my brother got it on sale for $2500. The 65x900F just came on sale for $500 off and is $1799, somewhere around $1375 USD. Ya, it's hard spending OLED money on an LCD for sure and with a wife and kids, burn in is a concern for me as well. Mind you, i do have 3 plasmas and it hasn't been an issue for me.
post #13 of 15 Old 06-28-2019, 06:59 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 73
The Sony is overpriced in my opinion.
If you can afford it, get the Oled it's way better than any similar priced LCD, otherwise save a grand and get a Vizio P, it's 99.9% as good as a much more expensive LCDs (but nowhere close to OLED) .

Last edited by obveron; 06-29-2019 at 04:05 AM.
post #14 of 15 Old 06-28-2019, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by obveron View Post
The Sony is overpriced in my opinion.
If you can afford it, get the Oled it's way better than any similar priced LCD, otherwise save a grand and get a Vizio P, it's 99.9% as good as a much more expensive LCDs (but nowhere close to LCD).
do you mean nowhere close to OLED?
post #15 of 15 Old 06-29-2019, 04:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Woodhall View Post
do you mean nowhere close to OLED?
Yes, thanks. I've edited my post.
Craig Woodhall likes this.