Plasma to Oleds....what am I going to amiss - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 35Likes
Closed Thread

post #1 of 61 Old 07-18-2019, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Plasma to Oleds....what am I going to amiss

We're a house of Kuro's and Panny 60 Series.

In the garage is a commercial 60 inch Panasonic display that will be replaced with a C9 LG.

Just thinking outloud I suppose....what aside from motion, what am I going to be amiss as I transition some screens. I am replacing this one as the 1st display to be upgraded, just to see what the tech is all about with 4K/HDR.

Regardless, I'm sure the OLED will be a nice upgrade to the PF12 series it is replacing. Even with my 60 series plasma's, it was nicer than the PF series it replaced.

Last edited by chefwong; 07-18-2019 at 11:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 Old 07-18-2019, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked: 323
If your plasma has excellent color uniformity, you will miss that once you observe magenta tinting on some portion of your OLED. OLED motion has been better than I expected and my A9G is not extremely far behind my Panasonic plasma in that regard.
post #3 of 61 Old 07-18-2019, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefwong View Post

In the garage is a commercial 60 inch Panasonic display that will be replaced with a C9 LG.

Just thinking outloud I suppose....what aside from motion, what am I going to be amiss as I transition some screens. I am replacing this one as the 1st display to be upgraded, just to see what the tech is all about with 4K/HDR.
I would not put an Oled in a garage...but in Florida garages can get quite warm. Oleds don't like higher temperatures. Happiest in cooler environments.

Voted most desirable mate by the ladies every year! Klan leader! Mob boss! Love advice expert! Credit cards accepted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 61 Old 07-18-2019, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefwong View Post

You'll miss
  • The "organic" look of plasma. It's hard to describe, but you'll know it when you see it.
  • Decent motion on sports.
  • Cable TV content (especially at 780P) without visible upscaling or compression artifacts.
  • Screen uniformity. Not just color uniformity, but blotching and vertical banding. See the long thread in this forum about it.
  • Possibly miss perfect off-angle viewing. OLED is much better than LCD / LED, and I have not personally noticed it, but some people report that colors are a bit distorted off-angle.
Tanquen and gibsonm21 like this.
post #5 of 61 Old 07-18-2019, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 42
If you have a Kuro, trust me... you will miss it.
sunburnwilly, gibsonm21 and VidPro like this.

-steve
"...and all the science, I don't understand. It's just my job, five days a week."
post #6 of 61 Old 07-18-2019, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked: 525
You'll probably miss those "I used to think these were black", blacks, the slightly less than 100nits max brightness, loud buzzing (potentially), 6" bezels, and meteorite like weight...

post #7 of 61 Old 07-18-2019, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Currently have a Kuro and Panasonic plasma. I made the leap and bought a Sony 65 A9F OLED in May. I held off for a long time because I loved my professionally calibrated 50 inch Kuro and didn't think anything offered could match it. That's still pretty much true for watching cable. Moved the Kuro to the bedroom and the Sony is now in my mini movie room where I'm heavy into watching blu ray and now 4K movies. The experience is jaw dropping. Going broke right now upgrading my collection to 4K. Also been happy with the picture I get from my Amazon fire stick.

I went with OLED because I can't get use to LCD. There are a lot of legitimate complaints out there about the technology. Then again, I heard similar complaints about the quality of plasma when I bought the Kuro. If you plan on watching a lot high quality source material I recommend making the jump. If your source is compressed cable or satellite feeds you may be disappointed.
anwsmh likes this.
post #8 of 61 Old 07-18-2019, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 14
thx all. I've been holding off on upgrading mainly due to the ~organic pq~ vs. the uber torch modes I see on the displays in the stores. I've been to friends houses, seen their displays. It's too bright for my eyes, or maybe I'm just used to Plasma..

Maybe it's just to keep up the Joneses factor ....but I really do want to see what color/contrast/HDR brings to the viewing table
ShermanOlsen likes this.
post #9 of 61 Old 07-18-2019, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Went from a KRP 500m to a Sony 65A8F. First week took a while to dial in and adjust, but honestly with HDR/Dolby Vision, some of the content I watch is startlingly good. Motion is pretty good from what I've observed, not noticing major differences there.

There is definitely a look to plasma that OLED doesn't quite capture, but it's still an extremely rich and compelling image. I watch mostly movies and Netflix/Prime series, so that's been very satisfying.

Colors are stunning on HDR - the dynamic range aspect of these sets make them more compelling than their ability to go down so low in black. That's still stunning though in fade outs where the screen looks like it's completely off.
anwsmh likes this.

"If you weren't such an ignorant troll, you'd be adorable" -rogo
post #10 of 61 Old 07-18-2019, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1807 Post(s)
Liked: 1237
Plasma has a softer picture. Like watching a movie vs live TV. Motion is noticeably smoother on plasma. As you're already aware.
post #11 of 61 Old 07-18-2019, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman_Mike View Post
You'll probably miss those "I used to think these were black", blacks, the slightly less than 100nits max brightness, loud buzzing (potentially), 6" bezels, and meteorite like weight...

Not as much as I hate the grey flashy blobs in dark scenes and the vertical banding in dark and some light scenes. It’s cool when a show goes to black and I can see anything in the room but that is about it. Some OLEDs have buzzing power supplies. Bezel size is not an issue, in fact my 77C9 bows a bit and could use a thicker screen and or bezel. Lighter weight and brighter screen are nice but there is still a big butt in my mind. The truer whites are nice with end credits and subtitles but can be overly bright too. So far 4k HDR looks the same but a little washed out.

My Kuro (is it 10 years old now?) has better colors, motion/no motion artifacts, antireflective coating, clarity (LGs sharpening dose so odd stuff), no micro pausing, my PC plays Netflix without locking up and fast-forwarding, no flickering BFI trying to lessen the still bad motion and no vertical banding. It’s a little dim though but if you try to use the iffy BFI on the OLED then it pretty dim too.

I’m keeping the 77C9 only because, I’m tired of waiting and some of the 4k Blu-Rays with outdoor or well lit stuff can look nice, when not moving. I’m also hoping some future firmware updates may fix the micro pausing and motion issues a bit more. They keep saying its better this time than the C6, C7, C8 and so on but I’d hate to see the motion on the first ones based on the C9.
sickkent likes this.

Last edited by Tanquen; 07-18-2019 at 12:35 PM.
post #12 of 61 Old 07-18-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post
Plasma has a softer picture. Like watching a movie vs live TV. Motion is noticeably smoother on plasma. As you're already aware.
The source makes a difference. When I first got the 77C9 my friend and I spent like an hour looking at the softer image of the 77C9. I had to really crank up the sharpness (with side effects) on the 77C9 to get it close to the Kuro. This was watching a 4k HDR Netflix movie on the 77C9 and the same Netflix move in HD on the Kuro paused to the same frame side by side.
post #13 of 61 Old 07-18-2019, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Like many, I too came from a Kuro 720 model. Upgraded to the B8 on a closeout sale at BB.

While the picture is certainly sharper, it looks incredibly fake (only word I can think of to describe it). I often find myself missing my old TV, but don't sweat it too much since I do most of my watching in the nursery (cheap LCD) or on my projector.

I would kill for a 4k/HDR plasma, but it would also probably kill my back
post #14 of 61 Old 07-18-2019, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanquen View Post
Not as much as I hate the grey flashy blobs in dark scenes and the vertical banding in dark and some light scenes. It’s cool when a show goes to black and I can see anything in the room but that is about it. Some OLEDs have buzzing power supplies. Bezel size is not an issue, in fact my 77C9 bows a bit and could use a thicker screen and or bezel. Lighter weight and brighter screen are nice but there is still a big butt in my mind. The truer whites are nice with end credits and subtitles but can be overly bright too. So far 4k HDR looks the same but a little washed out.

My Kuro (is it 10 years old now?) has better colors, motion/no motion artifacts, antireflective coating, clarity (LGs sharpening dose so odd stuff), no micro pausing, my PC plays Netflix without locking up and fast-forwarding, no flickering BFI trying to lessen the still bad motion and no vertical banding. It’s a little dim though but if you try to use the iffy BFI on the OLED then it pretty dim too.

I’m keeping the 77C9 only because, I’m tired of waiting and some of the 4k Blu-Rays with outdoor or well lit stuff can look nice, when not moving. I’m also hoping some future firmware updates may fix the micro pausing and motion issues a bit more. They keep saying its better this time than the C6, C7, C8 and so on but I’d hate to see the motion on the first ones based on the C9.
If you prefer a plasma to an OLED... vaya con dios?

If motion is an issue, not sure why you didn't go Sony, either.
Micolash and Cam1977 like this.

post #15 of 61 Old 07-18-2019, 04:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevec325 View Post
If you have a Kuro, trust me... you will miss it.
I don't miss mine.

post #16 of 61 Old 07-18-2019, 06:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post
I don't miss mine.
I don't miss mine either ( of course I still have it in the bedroom but it is not my main TV anymore) I have a 55B8 and I love it. Don't have any of the problems mentioned by some in this thread.

Never signs up for anything
post #17 of 61 Old 07-19-2019, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasmacat View Post
I don't miss mine either ( of course I still have it in the bedroom but it is not my main TV anymore) I have a 55B8 and I love it. Don't have any of the problems mentioned by some in this thread.
I sold mine. I already had a 55" 2016 OLED in the bedroom.

I can understand though how some who are supersensitive to motion artifacts or those who got a mediocre to poor OLED panel would prefer their old plasma. My screen uniformity on my OLEDs is pretty good--not perfect but better than the DSE I saw on my KURO. What is clearly better on the OLEDs is color palette, brightness and color saturation. I find all of these improvements outweigh any shortcomings vs. a KURO. YMMV.

post #18 of 61 Old 07-19-2019, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:
Your forgot the heat. My old plasma used to heat up the whole room.
Stuntman_Mike likes this.
post #19 of 61 Old 07-19-2019, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty View Post
Your forgot the heat. My old plasma used to heat up the whole room.
Didn't forget. Just thought that might have been "piling on" at that point
smitty likes this.

post #20 of 61 Old 07-19-2019, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Motion clarity is a bit better on plasma. But even there OLED has certain advantages in motion. A Kuro will be obliterated in all other respects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sony 55A9F
LG 55B6
post #21 of 61 Old 07-19-2019, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have the Panasonic TC-65PS64 Plasma i got from Costco back when they had a killer sale, i think 2013? I was thinking about going with the LG OLED 65" C8. I know that particular model wasnt the high end Panasonic at the time. Would an OLED be an upgrade on that model?
post #22 of 61 Old 07-19-2019, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micolash View Post
Motion clarity is a bit better on plasma. But even there OLED has certain advantages in motion. A Kuro will be obliterated in all other respects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Panasonic plasma has less distracting color non-uniformity when viewing scenes with certain colors (brown, beige, orange, etc.) than does my OLED. I assume that the Kuro is not worse than a Panasonic plasma in that respect.
Tanquen likes this.
post #23 of 61 Old 07-20-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
If you prefer a plasma to an OLED... vaya con dios?

If motion is an issue, not sure why you didn't go Sony, either.
I don’t know... Numerous folks talking about how OLEDs obliterate plasma and the motion is way better now on the C9 and that LG is just as good as Sony now and the interface on the Sony is not as good and so on.

Also, my 36 day old 77C9 is dead as of 07-18-2019. Good thing I still have my 10 year old Kuro.

Last edited by Tanquen; 07-20-2019 at 08:53 PM.
post #24 of 61 Old 07-20-2019, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Unless you watch 4k, guessing you will still like your Kuro.
post #25 of 61 Old 07-20-2019, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1184 Post(s)
Liked: 986
I am glad I found this thread.

My 10 year old Kuro Elite is starting to show some signs of age and a little of the red push.
Been on the fence about upgrading for awhile now and went today to look at some different models.
It sound like going to an OLED is the best move out there.
Stinks because I can actually fit a 75" in the same spot as my old Kuro but not sure going with a 75" LCD would be wise.

I really like what I have been reading about the the Sony A9G.
post #26 of 61 Old 07-20-2019, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I had a 50" Panasonic plasma for almost a decade. Upgraded to a 65" LG C8 last year. The OLED outperforms the plasma in virtually every respect, except for its handling of lower-quality sources, as previously stated. The OLED has brighter highlights, actual perfect blacks, richer colors, and the motion is pretty much on par with the plasma. I'm pretty sensitive to motion issues - I've tried several LCD sets and had to return them because I couldn't stand how awful their motion handling was. The primary issue you'll see people complain about is poor uniformity at near black with OLED, which is true to varying degrees. My C8 has a slight, thin vertical band in dark grey scenes, and I used to obsess over it because my panel wasn't "perfect", but honestly that was just nitpicking. I don't even notice it anymore unless I'm actively looking for it. Also, higher quality content essentially makes that disappear, so invest in 4K HDR material/sources. OLED is the best technology currently on the market, and better than plasma, IMO.

Edit: I'd also say the viewing angle is better than plasma, as well. With my plasma, I noticed the "double image" effect when viewing off-angle, which is not an issue you'll experience with OLED.
post #27 of 61 Old 07-20-2019, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 857 Post(s)
Liked: 387
The more natural looking phosphor based rgb colors of plasma you will miss. I find that oled's colors appear a lot like lcd and not plasma. lcd's and oleds give colors this 'processed' look. But current 4k lcd's and oleds can cover larger colorspaces, the gamut/volume measurements are higher than plasma. However the 'look' of the colors itself will not be as natural as plasma and will take a little getting used to.
post #28 of 61 Old 07-20-2019, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James2020 View Post

Edit: I'd also say the viewing angle is better than plasma, as well. With my plasma, I noticed the "double image" effect when viewing off-angle, which is not an issue you'll experience with OLED.

I notice more of a color shift on the OLED than plasma when viewing off-angle. Even the magenta tint varies with viewing angle.
post #29 of 61 Old 07-21-2019, 06:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 347
I owned a Kuro 151FD that I regretfully sold off way too early to help cover moving expenses. I replaced it with a Panasonic V10 and eventually sold that off for a Panasonic VT60. I sold that in 2016 when I thought I’d be ready for OLED, only to find that uniformity, upscaling, and shadow detail were not up to par. It wasn’t until the Sony A9G that I finally found an OLED that qualifies as a “keeper” - which I attribute to a combination of improvements in the previously mentioned areas, as well as just sheer luck with the panel lottery.

As others have said, there’s a certain organic “look” to plasmas that is very hard to describe. It reminds me of the old CRTs that I grew up with. When I go to restaurants that still have plasmas on their walls, you can immediately recognize them just simply by the way the picture looks. Fluid motion, natural colors, and just a very nice, organic looking image.

Unable to do side-by-side comparisons, what I miss most about my plasmas was this organic look, as well as better handling of poor-quality sources. The A9G is no slouch when it comes to watching compressed content, but I still think the plasmas handled poor content a little better in terms of producing a “clean” image. I can't speak on the C9, but I'd imagine it's fairly similar.

I also think that side-viewing was still better on the plasmas, which most would agree with. Although OLEDs are far better than LCDs, I still see a bit of color shifting when I move off-axis - which was never noticeable on my plasmas.

What I don’t miss, however, was the image retention issues with my VT60. The A9G is much, much more resistant in this regard. Any IR I’ve spotted on the OLED, which I usually only see when immediately switching to a solid color screen, melts away within seconds. The Kuro was pretty resistant in this regard, but I’d have logos that would stick around for a long, long time on the Panasonics. I was never fully comfortable with logos for extended periods of time on my VT60.

Shadow detail might still be superior on plasma, although I haven’t had my A9G professionally calibrated yet. This is an area that OLED has improved since its earlier days.

But as other people have suggested, if you’re only going to watch compressed cable, streaming 1080p/720p and watching BD discs, I think the plasmas would do fine for a few more years. But if you’re going to make the jump to 4K/HDR content, then I feel the OLED benefits outweigh the few advantages that plasma still has.

Once you get used to watching content on an OLED, it's very hard to go back to any technology (whether it be LCD or plasma) that still has a "glowing" black in a dark room.
gajCA likes this.
post #30 of 61 Old 07-21-2019, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm still using plasma and I think the one thing I'll miss when I eventually move to OLED is the capability to play my 3D blu-rays. I recently re-watched Gravity - damn that is good in 3D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread OLED Technology and Flat Panels General