AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   OLED Technology and Flat Panels General (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/)
-   -   Battle of the OLEDs (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/3079396-battle-oleds.html)

bfocussvt 07-18-2019 02:19 PM

Battle of the OLEDs
 
So, I've looked at tons of reviews, gone through a lot of threads and am debating on this issue:

So I've got an offer for a LG 65C9 for $XXX, the 65E9 for $XXX plus $600, or a Sony 65A9G for $XXX plus $700.

Personally, I'm partial to Sony but I dont mind saving a buck.

A) Is the E9 worth $600 over the C9? I've got a surround sound system but am digging the E9s design over the simpler C9.
B) I really, personally, like Sony, AndroidTV more than LG. Many review websites have been 50/50 with Sony winning some and LG C9 (E9 as same panel) winning some. So basically, does the Sony bring something extraordinary to the table over the C9 for the extra $600-$700?

I know a lot will inherently say, "go with C9 and save money" but I am looking at the bigger picture with my personal thought/opinions mentioned above.

Thoughts?

Reflex-Arc 07-18-2019 03:35 PM

It sounds like you want the Sony.

Buy the Sony.

bfocussvt 07-18-2019 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reflex-Arc (Post 58312612)
It sounds like you want the Sony.

Buy the Sony.

I want Sony but not if I'm paying a premium for nothing.

bfocussvt 07-18-2019 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reflex-Arc (Post 58312612)
It sounds like you want the Sony.

Buy the Sony.

I would gladly take the E9 over both if it offers more, besides styling, over the C9 and Sony, for that matter.

DaveyMac 07-18-2019 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bfocussvt (Post 58312650)
I want Sony but not if I'm paying a premium for nothing.


You are paying a premium to avoid always thinking "I wish I bought the Sony" because you favor Sony products. :)


I have LG OLED and freaking love it. But I've never had a Sony so I can't comment any further.

Reflex-Arc 07-18-2019 03:57 PM

In my opinion, any picture quality differences are going to be negligible to the point of nitpickery. Outside of that, if comes down to other factors, like the OS, and that's going to be preference based. You've already stated your preference, and based on that, I'd buy the Sony.

Don't second guess yourself out of the product you already want to buy based on the opinions of random strangers on a message board. Any of the options you've listed are going to have great picture quality, but you want one of them specifically. If you don't get it, you're just going to kick yourself later.

...though I may be projecting just a tad based on personal experience. ;)

spyboy 07-18-2019 04:02 PM

Buy the Sony.

bobknavs 07-18-2019 04:11 PM

The C9 and E9 use the same video processor. The E9 offers better onboard sound. (Worthless with an external sound system.) If the "design" of the E9 is worth an extra $600 to you, go for it.

The C9 and E9 support an HDMI 2.1 feature: 4k at 120 fps. (Not worth much if you don't have a source that gives that.) Does the Sony?

Kenbar 07-18-2019 04:24 PM

Sony may offer better motion processing. At least that's what some claim around here. And if so that might be a reason to spend a bit more...if you can find a good deal on one.

bfocussvt 07-18-2019 04:27 PM

Okay, Sony is out. C9 or E9?

Cam1977 07-18-2019 04:43 PM

^first...the Sony and LG are excellent choices but are the differences really worth the Sony premium, that comes down to personal choice...second why pay more for the E9 unless you like the style...both C9 and E9 will provide the same pq the only difference being panel variations.

Kenbar 07-18-2019 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bfocussvt (Post 58312784)
Okay, Sony is out. C9 or E9?

Wow, Sony got the boot quick. Between those two...it would be the C9 for me. Put the savings into a surround sound setup...

Menarini 07-18-2019 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobknavs (Post 58312734)
The C9 and E9 use the same video processor. The E9 offers better onboard sound. (Worthless with an external sound system.) If the "design" of the E9 is worth an extra $600 to you, go for it.

The C9 and E9 support an HDMI 2.1 feature: 4k at 120 fps. (Not worth much if you don't have a source that gives that.) Does the Sony?

What source gives 4k 120 fps? And what's the point of hdmi 2.1 right now when there are no hdmi 2.1 source devices like graphics cards or consoles available presently? eARC, vrr and allm (features i dont use) but i can understand the use of these features for some people because a few hdmi 2.0b devices currently available support them, but apart from that what's the use of 2.1 right now?

To me, as a movie watcher (not next gen console or pc gamer), hdmi 2.1 would only be relevant when i look to upgrade to a 8k tv. On a 4k tv i see it as useless. 4k hdr movies are 4k 24hz , 4:2:0 , 10 or 12 bit (10 bit for hdr10 , 12 bit for dolby vision). For this resolution, chroma and bit depth used for 4k hdr movies, hdmi 2.0b is more than enough. hdmi 2.0b can do upto 4k 24hz 4:4:4, 12 bit.

alexcoluzzi32 07-18-2019 10:23 PM

Hey remember that movie with the crazy people doing advertising?

Sony

.
.
.
.
.
.

Bony!

LOL

My A1E has been rock solid since I picked it up almost two years ago. Open box as well saved a ton. Guess the previous owner bought it and immediately returned it. Ridiculously good picture and the OS is getting snappier with each release. Sony for me all the way!

Menarini 07-18-2019 10:28 PM

A1E was a little too dim.

bfocussvt 07-19-2019 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenbar (Post 58312854)
Wow, Sony got the boot quick. Between those two...it would be the C9 for me. Put the savings into a surround sound setup...

Again, I like sony but not enough to pay almost $1k more for little (if any) gain over LG.

Micolash 07-19-2019 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bfocussvt (Post 58314192)
Again, I like sony but not enough to pay almost $1k more for little (if any) gain over LG.

The gain in image processing isn't "little".

But it's your money, spend it on what you want. If the C9 makes you happy that's all that matters.

Kewler 07-19-2019 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bfocussvt (Post 58312296)
B) I really, personally, like Sony, AndroidTV more than LG.

Before my LG C8, I had a Sony (forgot the model). Compared to Android TV OS, I find LG WebOS underwhelming regarding app choices and a bit too flashy GUI-wise. LG picture settings are easier to manage since you can setup SDR (or HDR10 or Dolby Vision) on a source and apply it to all sources. On the Sony, all sources have to be configured independently (as far as stated by Rtings.com).

Also, this year C9 as a specific setting to reduce banding contrary to last year C8. If it was my choice, I would go for the C9.

Stuntman_Mike 07-19-2019 08:08 AM

As someone that owns a an E6 LG OLED, I say, don't choose the E9. Unless you needed the better sound, which it sounds like you don't. The styling is nice, but not worth the extra cash, to me. If you don't care about the extra cost and really think it looks better, then go for it. I went with the E6 only because I didn't want a curved TV (C6) and the B6 had a "worse" processor. I think the design of the C series has gotten better since 2016 also, so it's a pretty good looking TV in its own right.

If you care about HDMI 2.1, then go with the C9 over the Sony. If the Sony had HDMI 2.1, I'd personally pay the extra for the Sony (or maybe wait a little for the price to come down more), but that's just me.

Stuntman_Mike 07-19-2019 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Menarini (Post 58313722)
What source gives 4k 120 fps? And what's the point of hdmi 2.1 right now when there are no hdmi 2.1 source devices like graphics cards or consoles available presently? eARC, vrr and allm (features i dont use) but i can understand the use of these features for some people because a few hdmi 2.0b devices currently available support them, but apart from that what's the use of 2.1 right now?

To me, as a movie watcher (not next gen console or pc gamer), hdmi 2.1 would only be relevant when i look to upgrade to a 8k tv. On a 4k tv i see it as useless. 4k hdr movies are 4k 24hz , 4:2:0 , 10 or 12 bit (10 bit for hdr10 , 12 bit for dolby vision). For this resolution, chroma and bit depth used for 4k hdr movies, hdmi 2.0b is more than enough. hdmi 2.0b can do upto 4k 24hz 4:4:4, 12 bit.

It's mostly about future proofing. If HDMI 2.1 sets were more expensive than comparable HDMI 2.0 sets, then that would make the line in the sand a lot deeper. Since the only thing that getting an HDMI 2.1 set costs you is time waiting for more than just the 9 series OLEDs to include it, I think that a good number of people would rather wait to have the new standard, even if they don't use it immediately, or even ever. Fear of missing out is real...

Me personally, I'm pretty confident that Nvidia's GPUs next summer will be HDMI 2.1, in addition to the next gen consoles that are most likely coming November, or so, of next year. As a hardcore gamer, that's enough reason for me to wait. Even lower prices, and other improvements would also, most likely, accompany that, as well.

If I needed a set, it would be different, but I'm just looking to upgrade size, mostly. Minor PQ improvements and QoL are also welcome, but I'm not exactly hurting watching my E6 ATM.

Menarini 07-19-2019 08:37 AM

There is nothing called future proofing in today's tech world, in 2-3 years native 8k tv's with hdmi 2.1 will become more common, then your c9 would look dated in front of it. hdmi 2.1 has support for 8k 60/120 (which 8k tv's with hdmi 2.1 will be able to do, from a 2.1 gfx card), of course a c9 cant do that. And besides, buying into the first generation implementation of any tech is not something i do. the c9 , according to vincent teoh, is employing a hybrid hdmi 2.1/2.0 solution , it has two chipsets, hdmi 2.1 devices in coming years wont do this , they'll use only a 2.1 chipset.

Stuntman_Mike 07-19-2019 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Menarini (Post 58314658)
There is nothing called future proofing in today's tech world, in 2-3 years native 8k tv's with hdmi 2.1 will become more common, then your c9 would look dated in front of it. hdmi 2.1 has support for 8k 60/120 (which 8k tv's with hdmi 2.1 will be able to do, from a 2.1 gfx card), of course a c9 cant do that. And besides, buying into the first generation implementation of any tech is not something i do. the c9 , according to vincent teoh, is employing a hybrid hdmi 2.1/2.0 solution , it has two chipsets, hdmi 2.1 devices in coming years wont do this , they'll use only a 2.1 chipset.

There is no such thing as future proofing in tech, but when a new standard/feature/improvement is imminent, then it makes sense to wait if you can.

And no where did I say that I was getting a 9 series OLED. I am waiting for the very reasons that you said, among others, so no idea why you're saying "my" C9 will look outdated. It won't, cause I don't have a C9 and have no desire to get one...

Menarini 07-19-2019 09:09 AM

My comment wasn't directed at you particularly, it was in general terms about people wanting hdmi 2.1`when no source hdmi devices exist yet, maybe i should've worded that better instead of saying 'your' c9.

Stuntman_Mike 07-19-2019 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Menarini (Post 58314782)
My comment wasn't directed at you particularly, it was in general terms about people wanting hdmi 2.1`when no source hdmi devices exist yet, maybe i should've worded that better instead of saying 'your' c9.

Understood on the "your" C9.

Totally understand why someone wouldn't want to wait. Furthermore, totally get that many people won't have any use/interest in a lot of the things that HDMI 2.1 brings. For me, I want my next set to have fully baked HDMI 2.1, even if there are no HDMI 2.1 devices when I buy it, because I know that those devices are coming, and that I will be using them.

avernar 07-19-2019 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Menarini (Post 58314658)
There is nothing called future proofing in today's tech world, in 2-3 years native 8k tv's with hdmi 2.1 will become more common, then your c9 would look dated in front of it. hdmi 2.1 has support for 8k 60/120 (which 8k tv's with hdmi 2.1 will be able to do, from a 2.1 gfx card), of course a c9 cant do that. And besides, buying into the first generation implementation of any tech is not something i do.

I'm buying a C9 in two weeks. I want the expanded colour gamut and HDR that I currently don't have. Going from 1080p to 4K is a bonus. Don't really care for 8K and I'm not going to buy a new TV when HDMI 2.1 sources show up in a year (game consoles).

I really don't see a reason to wait as there will always be a something new and improved the year after. I'm biting the bullet this year and it would be silly not to get something without HDMI 2.1 when HDMI 2.1 consoles are around the corner.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Menarini (Post 58314658)
the c9 , according to vincent teoh, is employing a hybrid hdmi 2.1/2.0 solution , it has two chipsets, hdmi 2.1 devices in coming years wont do this , they'll use only a 2.1 chipset.

If it can take and display a HDMI 2.1 signal, what would anyone care if a different chip is handling it?

gutcheck2001 07-19-2019 10:12 AM

rtngs says they prefer the picture of the C9 over the Sony, but just barely. If I were buying a TV now, I would get the LG just because of HDMI 2.1 as long as the picture is on par with Sony. I mean why not? I know it doesn't really offer anything now but in a year or two you don't want to be wishing you had it....

Otto Pylot 07-19-2019 10:36 AM

I would forget about HDMI 2.1 this year. It's all about grabbing sales with the new technology. I would wait until the dust settles, probably next year, before getting too concerned about HDMI 2.1. Even eARC (which and work on HDMI 2.0) is having issues because it's just too new.

Yukon Trooper 07-19-2019 11:23 AM

I have a C9 and A1E currently. The A1E has a better SDR picture to me eye, even on high quality 1080p content. Better motion, better upscaling, better processing, more cinematic colors. Some people may prefer the slightly pushed colors on the LG though.

Unfortunately, my A1E has terrible uniformity. My C9 has really good uniformity, so that's what I'll probably end up keeping.

avernar 07-19-2019 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otto Pylot (Post 58315112)
I would forget about HDMI 2.1 this year. It's all about grabbing sales with the new technology. I would wait until the dust settles, probably next year, before getting too concerned about HDMI 2.1.

If you're not a gamer I wouldn't worry about HDMI 2.1 on a 4K set at all, now or in the future. But buying an 8K set without it is just dumb.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Otto Pylot (Post 58315112)
Even eARC (which and work on HDMI 2.0) is having issues because it's just too new.

I think being too new has less to do with it than a few manufacturers being incompetent and/or making some stupid design decisions.

Otto Pylot 07-19-2019 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avernar (Post 58315448)
If you're not a gamer I wouldn't worry about HDMI 2.1 on a 4K set at all, now or in the future. But buying an 8K set without it is just dumb.

I think being too new has less to do with it than a few manufacturers being incompetent and/or making some stupid design decisions.

All 8k sets will have HDMI 2.1 so that's not an issue. I think it's safe to say that most OLED's sold are to non-hardcore gamers so options like VRR means nothing to them. Too new just points to the rushing of some of the HDMI 2.1 options just to garner sales before they were fully tested in real world setups and not on some QA/QC bench.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:55 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.