2019 Sony A8G OLED Owner's Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 89Likes

post #181 of 465 Old 11-27-2019, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbalsor View Post
I am just the type to want the best, and i am within the return window. I feel like I want better motion handling with all motion settings off.

The A8G would be a straight swap but I would have to pay for the A9G. From what ive read the A8G would be a sideways move and the A9G would be a step up in most regards (except gaming which I dont care about)
Got it. I personally like Sony’s motion handling, but I also have an LG LCD that has great motion handling as well. I don’t know how much better, if at all, the A9G is over the A8G. I usually go with flagships as well, but I went with the A8G because of the deal Sony has on it. Tough call.
jbalsor likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 465 Old 11-27-2019, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by pear View Post
Thanks. I got my PS4 to work instantly on the exact same cables. It must be a setting

I have not set properly.
I assume you mean the PS4 and not the PS4 Pro. The PS4 doesn't do 4K. Neither does your Pioneer Elite plasma. They don't require anything more than an HDMI 1.4 connection. Getting 4K HDR10 out of your ATV 4K to the TV requires an HDMI 2.0a connection. The difference in data rate is more than 4x, so a cable could be fine for 1080p but no good for 4K. Or it could be fine for 4K at 30 Hz but not 60 Hz.

Is your Anthem AVR relatively new, i.e. introduced within the last few years? If so, it should support HDMI 2.0a. If it's a little older, it might only support 4K but not HDR10.
Also, how long are the cables? There's more cable loss at higher data rates, so it's hard to find anything longer than 10m that's certified to work at 18 Gbps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose619 View Post
Alright everyone. I’d like to ask what is wrong with you all that are recommending the a8g to people?

I’m coming from a Panasonic plasma vt30. I bought this tv in 2011! Can someone explain to me why it’s faster and more intuitive to use?

Major issues with this tv.

1. Only has two high speed hdmi ports for 4K hdr. One of them happens to be the arc hdmi... wtf is that about? I have a Sonos soundbar. So I have to lose a 4K hdr input just to have good audio.

2. Every once in a while I turn on the tv and it shows an Android boot screen that takes no joke 20-30 seconds to boot. Who thinks this is normal?????!!

3. Dolby vision looks atrociously dim on an Apple TV. You have to enable auto contrast just to make it look decent.

4. There’s some weird bug where the picture shifts and you end up with a thin black vertical column of black on either the left or right side of the tv. I’ve verfied this by looking at the Apple TV overscan settings whenever I suspected this was happening. Sure enough one side is cut off. This happens sporadically.

5. Android is a terrible thing to have to use to mess with the tv settings. Android in general is just disgustingly bloated to use why would I have to use it to change tv settings? Even the dang volume ui has lag!

I’m honestly considering taking this back and going with the lg c9. All these issues with the a8g just aren’t worth slightly better upsscaling.
1. Yes, it's a dumb penny pinching limitation, probably part of the marketing strategy to up-sell people into the A9G. The reason why they put ARC on one of the high speed inputs is because a good number of people are going to connect this thing to an AV processor or receiver, and if they didn't have one input that could do both, those people would be screwed. Note that the other inputs will still do 4K HDR @30 Hz, and everything I've found on UHD Blu-Ray is 24p, so there should be no issues with using any of the inputs to connect a UHD Blu-Ray player. In theory, it should be no issue for streaming either, but I already know of one problem: Netflix app on Roku insists on detecting support for 4K @60Hz even though they don't have content that requires it. If you really need two full-speed inputs, you should be able to connect the sound bar using the optical connection. Optical is limited to DD 5.1 or DTS 5.1 or stereo PCM, but that's kind of a non-issue for a sound bar. Losing HDMI CEC features like auto on/off and volume control from the TV remote might be an inconvenience depending on your situation.

2. Luckily, I've never seen this. Sounds like something is causing Android to crash going into or out of standby. You've either found a bug, or maybe a compatibility problem with one of your connected devices.

3. This is a widely reported complaint with ATV 4K and streaming services. I see it all over various forums and it seems to be non-TV specific.

4. I haven't seen this either. How thin is thin? If it's like 1 pixel wide, I might not have noticed.

5. This is my biggest gripe. In terms of design and features, I knew what I was getting into with Android TV because I've had an NVidia Shield for the last few years. But the Shield is always snappy while the A8G is usually laggy, sometimes really laggy, like when scrolling through the program guide for OTA TV. My A8G was running Android 7.1 when I got it. I upgraded to 8.0 right away. If you haven't done that, please do. Also, you can use the Action Menu button on the remote to access the settings so you don't have to go back through the Android home screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithfaced View Post
Returned my Sony OLED for a Samsung Q80

So.... I did a ton of research to upgrade my TV and decided to buy a 65" Sony A8G OLED.

I had it installed, mounted etc.
The picture was absolutely fantastic, but a few things just didn't sit well with me.

#1- The brightness. This TV just didn't get very bright, even after calibration, I just didn't like how dark it was. I know this is an issue with OLEDs. I have a decently bright room, with 7 windows, and the sun rises into those windows and stays that way for most of the day. The reflections were pretty noticeable, and even in vivid mode it seemed dark.

#2- With almost all 4k coming in widescreen with black bars, the images I was watching were just too small for my liking. It looked beautiful don't get me wrong, but it was smaller than I wanted, and was not as bright as I desired. This made me think that getting a bigger screen would help combat the black bars, but I can't afford a 75" OLED.

These two things were essentially deal breakers for, and for the price of the TV, I wanted to be a bit happier with my purchase.

I went to Best Buy and explained all of my reasons, and the salesman directed me to the Samsung Q80 in the 75" version. He convinced me to buy it, based on my concerns.

My big question is, how steep of a drop off is this TV from a 65" Sony Ag8 OLED? I know the picture quality will take a hit, but how big of an decrease am I looking at? Is it worth gaining a bigger, brighter TV, with less picture quality? How's the motion difference? I will be 100% streaming on this TV with some minor Xbox games occasionally.

I really don't want to get this Samsung Q80R delivered and set up, only to decide I missed the picture quality of the Sony. It's being delivered in a week, so I have some time to make a decision.

Any advice would be appreciated
It's too much of a personal decision, but I will say that having a bright room and wanting a bigger TV for the money are two perfectly good reasons for choosing LCD over OLED.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydk View Post
Received my 55” A8G yesterday. I attached my cable box and Oppo BPD-93 to HDMI ports. I can get sound through the Sony with the cable box, but I cannot get any sound through the Sony when using the Oppo. I tried all the different HDMI ports. I had the same setup with my old Panasonic plasma and did not have a problem.

Is there any setting on the TV that needs to be changed. I looked through the menus but they are a little confusing and nothing is obvious.
Is the Oppo set to output bitstream or convert to PCM?
Is the Oppo configured to output audio on it's other HDMI port? I know this is very unlikely because it would have been a problem before, but I had to ask.

In case it's some weird handshake problem, try powering everything off, i.e. remove power, don't just put them in standby. Wait a minute, then power everything back up again.

I have an Oppo 103, but it's connected through my pre/pro. If I have some free time this weekend to tear into my AV cabinet, I'll try connecting it directly to the A8G and see if I have the same problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbalsor View Post
May be returning an LG C9 for either the A8G or A9G.

Thoughts?
Depends. What are you hoping to gain and willing to lose?

HT: Dynaudio C2, Contour S CX, 2x BM14S, Aperion surrounds, Simaudio Titan, Marantz AV8801, Oppo 103, Linn Majik DS, and a Pioneer Kuro
Stereo: Dynaudio Focus 160, Simaudio W-5 LE or Luxman M-600A, Linn Akurate DSM, 2x Rythmik F12G
Other interests: motorcycling, skiing, being active
post #183 of 465 Old 11-27-2019, 05:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Anyone wish they would have spent the extra money and gotten the A9G? Just trying to decide between A8G and A9G at 65"

65" Sony A9G | 49" Sony X900E | Sony HT-ST5000 SB | 2019 Nvidia Shield TV Pro | Xbox One X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 465 Old 11-27-2019, 05:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
[QUOTE=Red MC;58883412]I assume you mean the PS4 and not the PS4 Pro. The PS4 doesn't do 4K. Neither does your Pioneer Elite plasma. They don't require anything more than an HDMI 1.4 connection. Getting 4K HDR10 out of your ATV 4K to the TV requires an HDMI 2.0a connection. The difference in data rate is more than 4x, so a cable could be fine for 1080p but no good for 4K. Or it could be fine for 4K at 30 Hz but not 60 Hz.

Is your Anthem AVR relatively new, i.e. introduced within the last few years? If so, it should support HDMI 2.0a. If it's a little older, it might only support 4K but not HDR10.
Also, how long are the cables? There's more cable loss at higher data rates, so it's hard to find anything longer than 10m that's certified to work at 18 Gbps.

thanks...I have an Anthem 510 (the model before this current 520 model). I did get in touch with Anthem
support and was told although Input 1 is labeled 4k,it really is not. I was then told to set the Apple 4k
TV to 1080p @ 60hz and 4:2:0!

I am just trying to get all that corrected and try again. When I plug the Apple TV directly into an input on
the back of the Sony, I get great video! Frustrated at this point but not quitting!
post #185 of 465 Old 11-27-2019, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks for all the responses everyone. I'm feeling much more confident in my decision to step down to the Samsung Q80.
Much appreciated. I'm sure I'll miss the PQ a bit but I think I'll be happier with a bigger, brighter TV with way less reflection.
post #186 of 465 Old 11-28-2019, 04:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFJ 96 View Post
I did the 5% grey scale and saw some blotching but it's not spilling over into content which Is good.
Pics look great, what picture mode are you on? My torture test for uniformity/banding is the water fight scene in Blade Runner 2049. Flawless on my A8G. Not so much on my B7.
post #187 of 465 Old 11-28-2019, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeorwell View Post
Pics look great, what picture mode are you on? My torture test for uniformity/banding is the water fight scene in Blade Runner 2049. Flawless on my A8G. Not so much on my B7.
Thanks George. I am using D Nice's setting from Post 8 in this thread.

They may seem dark, but give it some time and your eyes will adjust.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
post #188 of 465 Old 11-28-2019, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7516 Post(s)
Liked: 7547
Quote:
Originally Posted by bslep View Post

BTW, I bought the 65” AG8 for my bedroom. I love it. My wife loves it. If I had the money I would buy the 77” Ag9 for my living room. I don’t think it is that dark. But, it is in the bedroom which doesn’t get the light that my living room gets. I think this TV is an incredible bargain at the price point it’s at right now.
Yes I feel OLED is king, especially for the cost factor.
post #189 of 465 Old 11-28-2019, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Sorry for the cross post but I'm trying to decide between the 65" 950G and the 65" A8G. Besides being $600 cheaper, are Netflix Calibrated Mode, Dolby Vision Day and Night Mode on the 950G worth it over the OLED screen of the A8G? I've read a few comments that the Netflix Calibrated Mode is too muted for some user's likes.
post #190 of 465 Old 11-28-2019, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1579 Post(s)
Liked: 926
Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydk View Post
Received my 55” A8G yesterday. I attached my cable box and Oppo BPD-93 to HDMI ports. I can get sound through the Sony with the cable box, but I cannot get any sound through the Sony when using the Oppo. I tried all the different HDMI ports. I had the same setup with my old Panasonic plasma and did not have a problem.

Is there any setting on the TV that needs to be changed. I looked through the menus but they are a little confusing and nothing is obvious.
What firmware is on your oppo 93? When talking to a device that has HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 you need a beta firmware on the BDP-93. You need BDP9X_85-0106B. I received it from oppo support when I asked about it after upgrading my AVR to an HDCP 2.2/HDMI 2.0 compatible model which killed all sound output on the oppo.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
post #191 of 465 Old 11-28-2019, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsmith94 View Post
Sorry for the cross post but I'm trying to decide between the 65" 950G and the 65" A8G. Besides being $600 cheaper, are Netflix Calibrated Mode, Dolby Vision Day and Night Mode on the 950G worth it over the OLED screen of the A8G? I've read a few comments that the Netflix Calibrated Mode is too muted for some user's likes.
For what it's worth, I had the 950G and A8G side by side for a week before deciding on the A8G. I was coming from a plasma tv so the OLED gave me a bit more of what I was used to / looking for in a new TV. That said the 950G looked VERY good, better than any LED I had seen. So if viewing angles are not a big deal for you and/or you need a brighter screen based on the room, you will be happy with the 950G. But if you are watching in mostly a dark room, the OLED is the winner and worth the extra money IMO.
georgeorwell and jimsmith94 like this.
post #192 of 465 Old 11-28-2019, 09:36 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsorensen View Post
What firmware is on your oppo 93? When talking to a device that has HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 you need a beta firmware on the BDP-93. You need BDP9X_85-0106B. I received it from oppo support when I asked about it after upgrading my AVR to an HDCP 2.2/HDMI 2.0 compatible model which killed all sound output on the oppo.
I just updated to the suggested firmware and the sound to the Sony is working again. I’d like to thank you and other forum members who have been so helpful. I was going a little crazy trying to figure this out. Have a great a Thanksgiving.
post #193 of 465 Old 11-28-2019, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsmith94 View Post
I was in the same boat, but in the end chose the A8G. I've owned FALD LCD for the last 7 years. The set I replaced in the family room was a FALD LCD.

It put out a great picture, but the blooming could be distracting in some content. The 950G is a great set, but it suffers from the limitations I just spoke of.

For me I was willing to sacrifice peak brightness in order to achieve complete blacks which gives you excellent contrast but at the expense of peak brightness.

Also the extra picture modes though interesting, didn't mean as much as picture quality.

The A8G puts out an excellent picture.

So far after almost 1 week of ownership, I have no regrets. Well worth the extra ...

jimsmith94 likes this.
post #194 of 465 Old 11-28-2019, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Couple of shots of The Manderlorian running from a Shield TV

post #195 of 465 Old 11-28-2019, 01:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Couple of shots of The Manderlorian running from a Shield TV

Wow those images look terrible. I think I have seen GIFs with more colors than that. Ouch. What did you do to the poor images?

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
post #196 of 465 Old 11-28-2019, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsorensen View Post
Wow those images look terrible. I think I have seen GIFs with more colors than that. Ouch. What did you do to the poor images?
Probably, not the best scene to capture, but if you go to episode 3 around the 25 minute mark I believe, this is how that scene looks.

post #197 of 465 Old 11-29-2019, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Probably, not the best scene to capture, but if you go to episode 3 around the 25 minute mark I believe, this is how that scene looks.

Even the area around the TV looks pixelated and banded. Must be a bad camera or a bad lighting condition or something.

Len Sorensen

post #198 of 465 Old 11-29-2019, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I've only had my A8G for a couple of weeks but noticed the other night while watching a 4K UHD disc version of Crazy Rich Asians via a Sony X800M2 player that the tv appeared to visibly adjust the brightness level of what was onscreen at various times during the film, immediatly following a shot or scene change. It would take about a second to complete its adjustments so It was visibly obvious it was doing something to the image. Typically there appeared to be bright higlights somewhere on screen when the tv would visibly lower the brightness of the image and then bring it back up again when switching to a shot without one. Am I correct in assuming that what I'm likely seeing is the TV applying it's tone mapping to the image? The disc only has HDR10 so I couldn't test a Dolby Vision version of the film to see if it exhibited the same visible adjustments.
post #199 of 465 Old 11-30-2019, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Just bought a XBR-65A8G yesterday. I notice while the TV was off and seen via a reflection, 1 "dimple" in the top left and top right corner of the screen. I googled this and it seems that it's common to have this. Although, these "dimples" doesn't cause any distortions to the image. It's just irritating to know that it's there. I don't want to return it also because it's too much of a hassle.

Just wondering if any of you owners have this issue on your sets.
post #200 of 465 Old 12-01-2019, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital808 View Post
Just bought a XBR-65A8G yesterday. I notice while the TV was off and seen via a reflection, 1 "dimple" in the top left and top right corner of the screen. I googled this and it seems that it's common to have this. Although, these "dimples" doesn't cause any distortions to the image. It's just irritating to know that it's there. I don't want to return it also because it's too much of a hassle.

Just wondering if any of you owners have this issue on your sets.

Have this on mine also, doesn't affect the picture at all. Assume it's normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #201 of 465 Old 12-01-2019, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I came across this A8G video from the Quantum TV channel on YouTube. He actually has several with the A8G, pretty interesting.

jimsmith94 likes this.
post #202 of 465 Old 12-01-2019, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Anyone having issues with their A8G not responding properly to their Harmony remote?

I have a harmony ultimate and my A8G isn't responding very well. I added the IR Blaster that came with the TV, but still having problems.

I switched out the ultimate to my older Harmony One remote and it works great.

post #203 of 465 Old 12-02-2019, 07:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Anyone having issues with their A8G not responding properly to their Harmony remote?

I have a harmony ultimate and my A8G isn't responding very well. I added the IR Blaster that came with the TV, but still having problems.

I switched out the ultimate to my older Harmony One remote and it works great.

No issues here. I had the Ultimate and most recently the Elite. However my hub sits right under the left corner of the TV.

post #204 of 465 Old 12-02-2019, 10:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeorwell View Post
No issues here. I had the Ultimate and most recently the Elite. However my hub sits right under the left corner of the TV.

Thanks for the feedback George. My ultimate hub also sits to the bottom left of the TV. Weird

post #205 of 465 Old 12-02-2019, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

No problems with mine either. I haven't set up the IR blaster that came with the TV...not sure the benefit just yet. But I still can't believe that Harmony hasn't updated the Mac OSX Catalina version by now. Having to make the changes and adjustments on my phone works but not as well as the desktop version.
post #206 of 465 Old 12-02-2019, 04:04 PM

Picked up my 65" A8G on Black Friday after many months of research. So far so good!

One question I have, is the TV will display the message "No signal. Check the external input or select another input using the INPUT button." until the broadcasting device eg Apple TV, Xbox or Telus box is recognized via my Onkyo RZ-820. Those devices are on and running quickly, it just seems to be a delay before the TV recognizes the video coming through via ARC. Not sure if the delay is because of the TV OR my Amp, though I never had a delay with my previous (dumb) plasma TV through the Amp. Alternatively, is there a way to turn off that message. I just don't like my family seeing the warning message when everything is working but just takes a bit more time before its recognized by the TV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5234.jpeg
Views:	67
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	2648604  
post #207 of 465 Old 12-03-2019, 05:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KvnJmpl View Post
Picked up my 65" A8G on Black Friday after many months of research. So far so good!

One question I have, is the TV will display the message "No signal. Check the external input or select another input using the INPUT button." until the broadcasting device eg Apple TV, Xbox or Telus box is recognized via my Onkyo RZ-820. Those devices are on and running quickly, it just seems to be a delay before the TV recognizes the video coming through via ARC. Not sure if the delay is because of the TV OR my Amp, though I never had a delay with my previous (dumb) plasma TV through the Amp. Alternatively, is there a way to turn off that message. I just don't like my family seeing the warning message when everything is working but just takes a bit more time before its recognized by the TV.
My set does the same thing. I believe it's normal

post #208 of 465 Old 12-03-2019, 08:05 AM

Sony Smart TV Software Update Brings AirPlay 2 and HomeKit Support to Select 2018 and 2019 Models

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/12/03...mekit-support/
post #209 of 465 Old 12-03-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
My set does the same thing. I believe it's normal
Thanks, one more question does your TV have trouble recognizing the device through the Input or it recognizes it but it takes some time to pass it through?
post #210 of 465 Old 12-03-2019, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KvnJmpl View Post
Thanks, one more question does your TV have trouble recognizing the device through the Input or it recognizes it but it takes some time to pass it through?
Mine seems to do this on pass through. The input switching is pretty quick by the TV.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page