2019 Sony A8G OLED Owner's Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 71Likes

post #241 of 374 Old 12-11-2019, 02:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samcor_NZ View Post
I've only had my A8G for a couple of weeks but noticed the other night while watching a 4K UHD disc version of Crazy Rich Asians via a Sony X800M2 player that the tv appeared to visibly adjust the brightness level of what was onscreen at various times during the film, immediatly following a shot or scene change. It would take about a second to complete its adjustments so It was visibly obvious it was doing something to the image. Typically there appeared to be bright higlights somewhere on screen when the tv would visibly lower the brightness of the image and then bring it back up again when switching to a shot without one. Am I correct in assuming that what I'm likely seeing is the TV applying it's tone mapping to the image? The disc only has HDR10 so I couldn't test a Dolby Vision version of the film to see if it exhibited the same visible adjustments.
Try turning off the ambient light sensor and see if that stops it. You may be getting a reflection of light from the TV back into the light sensor causing your issue.

Sony 2019 Sony XBR-55A8G
Panasonic TH-42PX50U - 49,203 hours! DIED :-( then resurrected by me on 1/16/2020!!!!!

Various "cheap" TV's in kids room and video game room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 374 Old 12-11-2019, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by picturemaker View Post
Hello all,

Long time lurker first time poster to this thread. I’m currently trading in a 75 x950g that we’ve had for a week and waiting for delivery of a 65 inch a8g next week. I’m going from a 2011 Panasonic VT65 with a flawless panel. I just wanted to make the jump to 4k, a worry-free panel and a larger size if possible.

The picture on the 950g was actually quite good if the content was full frame. It did exhibit intermittent blooming associated with led and this model in particular, but I was trying to dial the settings in to compensate. However, whenever we put on any letterboxed material the blooming was impossible for me to ignore. So as soon as the panel started randomly shutting itself off it was an easy decision to return it and start looking for an alternative.

Which led me to the 65 inch a8g. I have one point to bring up and one question.

Point one:
When i was looking at the a8g at best buy the sales guy was using a remote from an x950g to navigate the a8g’s menus. So I'm thinking of possibly upgrading down the road. I didnt even know this was possible so i thought id throw that out there.

And my question for everyone is this: what has your experience been like so far with the a8g’s ABL (automatic brightness limiter). Big deal? No big deal?

This is probably my biggest concern at the moment.

Thanks in advance and my humble apologies for the drawn out post but it was clearly time to wake up this forum

If you mean the ambient light sensor which automatically controls brightness depending on the ambient lighting the sensor can be turned off. If you notice most calibration threads etc. say one of the first things to do before calibrating is to turn it off. Makes sense. I turned mine off when I got my set and never turned it back on. I've had my A8G for about 2 months and am still in awe of the picture quality contrast and just overall picture performance. Could it be a little brighter? Sure, but brightness doesn't make the PQ better. I came from a Panasonic Plasma.

Sony 2019 Sony XBR-55A8G
Panasonic TH-42PX50U - 49,203 hours! DIED :-( then resurrected by me on 1/16/2020!!!!!

post #243 of 374 Old 12-11-2019, 02:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0

Quote:
Hello all,

Long time lurker first time poster to this thread. I’m currently trading in a 75 x950g that we’ve had for a week and waiting for delivery of a 65 inch a8g next week. I’m going from a 2011 Panasonic VT65 with a flawless panel. I just wanted to make the jump to 4k, a worry-free panel and a larger size if possible.
I have had no issue with brightness whatsoever, and i don't think that should be your concern unless you are in a brighter room with windows facing your A8GWhich i keep my A8G is facing away from my windows for that reason) . Its also depending on the content, because Dolby Vision (If you enable it) will dim your picture dynamically depending on the content as well as the A8G's firmware.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #244 of 374 Old 12-11-2019, 03:25 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Fance View Post
I have had no issue with brightness whatsoever, and i don't think that should be your concern unless you are in a brighter room with windows facing your A8GWhich i keep my A8G is facing away from my windows for that reason) . Its also depending on the content, because Dolby Vision (If you enable it) will dim your picture dynamically depending on the content as well as the A8G's firmware.
Thanks for the replies! I guess this isn't really an issue from the sound of it. I checked out the rtings review recently for the a8g and one of their “cons” about it was, and I quote:

CON: Brightness varies with different content, due to the Automatic Brightness Limiter (ABL).

Being new to oled i had never heard of this issue so i was wondering what the collective experience from the forum was regarding this. Anyhow, as far as the auto dimming due to room lighting setting is concerned i’ll disable it first thing.

Thanks again!
post #245 of 374 Old 12-11-2019, 05:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:

And my question for everyone is this: what has your experience been like so far with the a8g’s ABL (automatic brightness limiter). Big deal? No big deal.
I read about ABL and had the same concern as this was my first OLED purchase. I honestly have not seen it. I don’t have the automatic brightness setting on and maybe that’s why. I don’t know, but it has not been an issue with me and frankly I am not going to go out of my way to look for issues. I am just enjoying the heck out of the TV.
picturemaker likes this.
post #246 of 374 Old 12-11-2019, 06:01 AM

Overscanning issue with Shield TV Pro

Ive had nothing but good things to say about the a8g other than input lag being above average. But the most annoying issue i have had with this TV has been how it pairs with my Nvidia Shield TV Pro, more specifically the over scanning. I believe the Shield has been causing my picture to move slowly out of frame either to the left or to the right randomly. This condition can be corrected by opening the A8g's built in Android Home menu, and then going back to the Shields menu (HDMI 3). But shortly afterwards the picture starts to drift slightly and slowly in one direction or the other. When it does drift, its not by very much (Half and inch at most), but its noticeable when i have a gap between the bezel and where the picture actually is, and most of all, because i spent so much on these electronics. lol . I have also gone into the built in shield over scanning tool and it also shows the shift of the picture. I'm almost to the point of going back to apple TV which didn't have this issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0917.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	2652404   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0918.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	2652406   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0915.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	2652408   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0916.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	2652410  
post #247 of 374 Old 12-11-2019, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 136 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2116 Post(s)
Liked: 3984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Fance View Post
Ive had nothing but good things to say about the a8g other than input lag being above average. But the most annoying issue i have had with this TV has been how it pairs with my Nvidia Shield TV Pro, more specifically the over scanning. I believe the Shield has been causing my picture to move slowly out of frame either to the left or to the right randomly. This condition can be corrected by opening the A8g's built in Android Home menu, and then going back to the Shields menu (HDMI 3). But shortly afterwards the picture starts to drift slightly and slowly in one direction or the other. When it does drift, its not by very much (Half and inch at most), but its noticeable when i have a gap between the bezel and where the picture actually is, and most of all, because i spent so much on these electronics. lol . I have also gone into the built in shield over scanning tool and it also shows the shift of the picture. I'm almost to the point of going back to apple TV which didn't have this issue.
Do you have the pixel orbiter turned ON?
post #248 of 374 Old 12-11-2019, 08:59 AM

Pixel Orbiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post
Do you have the pixel orbiter turned ON?

Pixel Orbiter / Shift is enabled.
Thank you for that! I'll try it disabled and see what happens.
post #249 of 374 Old 12-11-2019, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 29
This is incredibly disappointing. https://www.reddit.com/r/bravia/comm...s_end_of_live/
post #250 of 374 Old 12-11-2019, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 7032 Post(s)
Liked: 7066
Quote:
Originally Posted by samven582 View Post
https://ibb.co/3v0Nk9b
is my display defected? Can pixel refresh fix it?
You can, but you need to let your panel age as well as much of that will clear up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFJ 96 View Post
Are you seeing any of that in real content viewing? Also check a 100% white screen and see if you see any of the same lines
My 5% screen has a bad blotch on the left, but @ 100% it looks good and I rarely see it in real world content
That is the key, can you see it in content? If you can how much is it bothering you?
BFJ 96 likes this.
post #251 of 374 Old 12-11-2019, 05:22 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFern View Post
Yes, disappointing indeed. I was holding out a small shred of hope that UI responsiveness could be improved in 9.0.

It's one more argument that the A8G is best for people who just need a display, who aren't going to use the TV as the "hub" of their entertainment system.

HT: Dynaudio C2, Contour S CX, 2x BM14S, Aperion surrounds, Simaudio Titan, Marantz AV8801, Oppo 103, Linn Majik DS, and a Pioneer Kuro
Stereo: Dynaudio Focus 160, Simaudio W-5 LE or Luxman M-600A, Linn Akurate DSM, 2x Rythmik F12G
Other interests: motorcycling, skiing, being active
post #252 of 374 Old 12-11-2019, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red MC View Post
Yes, disappointing indeed. I was holding out a small shred of hope that UI responsiveness could be improved in 9.0.

It's one more argument that the A8G is best for people who just need a display, who aren't going to use the TV as the "hub" of their entertainment system.

When my Panasonic Plasma died a couple of months ago I looked and looked and looked for a high quality display that was "dumb". I really don't need all the built in "smart" TV stuff as there are plenty of ways to get steaming content to any screen. I picked the A8G because WiFi can be turned off and I can completely disconnect from the internet if desired. I am using the smart features now but if I never get an Android TV update it's fine with me. Like you said I just needed a display but I wanted OLED.

Sony 2019 Sony XBR-55A8G

post #253 of 374 Old 12-11-2019, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red MC View Post

Yeah, I am not TOO mad about it. I just bought two Roku Streaming Stick+ for both of my A8Gs. So I feel like this re-enforces my decision.
post #254 of 374 Old 12-12-2019, 04:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFern View Post
Probably has to do with the SOC as supposedly the 900F also won't be getting 9.0.

Both sets use the Extreme SOC. I can see how this might turn some people off, but if you use external devices to stream like I do this set should be on your list if your looking at an OLED

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
post #255 of 374 Old 12-13-2019, 08:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just watched 6 underground on Netflix via DV and the pq had plenty of pop. Brightness wasn't an issue at all and I had Peak Luminance set to Low.

Watched via my Xbox 1S. This set definitely offers an awesome movie watching experience in a dark room

post #256 of 374 Old 12-13-2019, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Just watched 6 underground on Netflix via DV and the pq had plenty of pop. Brightness wasn't an issue at all and I had Peak Luminance set to Low.

Watched via my Xbox 1S. This set definitely offers an awesome movie watching experience in a dark room

Peak luminance should always be set to High with HDR and DV.
bobbyg53 and BFJ 96 like this.
post #257 of 374 Old 12-14-2019, 03:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up D-Nice.

post #258 of 374 Old 12-14-2019, 05:56 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
What about when watching SDR content or just regular cable TV, especially sports like football? Can we still set peak luminance to high or should we set it to medium or low if that would increase odds of burn-in over time?
post #259 of 374 Old 12-14-2019, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Watched via my Xbox 1S.
Will check out that movie today with my Xbox One S. Do you know if there a menu option on the TV that shows that DV is being passed through my AMP/ARC connection? The Display Button on the remote only shows resolution, etc.
Thanks!
post #260 of 374 Old 12-14-2019, 10:06 AM

Quote:
A8G Settings

Cinema Pro

CineMotion: Auto
I didn’t have an Auto option within the CineMotion setting, only: Low Medium High Off. What would you suggest?

And thanks for sharing those settings!

Last edited by KvnJmpl; 12-14-2019 at 10:21 AM.
post #261 of 374 Old 12-14-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeorwell View Post
Have this on mine also, doesn't affect the picture at all. Assume it's normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFnuts View Post
What about when watching SDR content or just regular cable TV, especially sports like football? Can we still set peak luminance to high or should we set it to medium or low if that would increase odds of burn-in over time?
You can do whatever you want. However I am not a fan of using Med or High peak luminance with any SDR content.
bobbyg53 and BFJ 96 like this.
post #262 of 374 Old 12-14-2019, 12:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KvnJmpl View Post
Will check out that movie today with my Xbox One S. Do you know if there a menu option on the TV that shows that DV is being passed through my AMP/ARC connection? The Display Button on the remote only shows resolution, etc.

Thanks!
You'll know when DV is activated as a Dolby emblem will show in the top right corner of the set.

I don't think it tells you if the signal is being pass through the AVR.

I'm running every thing through my AVR and I'm just assuming since the emblem does on my set, my AVR is passing the signal

post #263 of 374 Old 12-14-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
You'll know when DV is activated as a Dolby emblem will show in the top right corner of the set.

I don't think it tells you if the signal is being pass through the AVR.
That's what I've noticed as well. Watch it directly from TV and I see the emblem but I don't see it via my AVR. Wonder if there's another way to know that it is working through my Onkyo.

Last edited by KvnJmpl; 12-14-2019 at 03:42 PM.
post #264 of 374 Old 12-14-2019, 05:03 PM

Quote:
I didn’t have an Auto option within the CineMotion setting, only: Low Medium High Off. What would you suggest?

And thanks for sharing those settings!
Low
BiggShooter likes this.
post #265 of 374 Old 12-15-2019, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
That's what I've noticed as well. Watch it directly from TV and I see the emblem but I don't see it via my AVR. Wonder if there's another way to know that it is working through my Onkyo.
Using a Fire TV Stick 4K through my Denon receiver, the Dolby Vision emblem does appear.
post #266 of 374 Old 12-15-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBetaGuy View Post
Using a Fire TV Stick 4K through my Denon receiver, the Dolby Vision emblem does appear.
Thanks...back to troubleshooting.
post #267 of 374 Old 12-15-2019, 11:49 PM

Liked: 1
So I just got my 65in a8g, is it just mine or is everyone else's slightly curved when looking at it from the sides? The screen is slightly concave... is this normal or is mine a dud?
BFJ 96 likes this.
post #268 of 374 Old 12-16-2019, 06:05 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by watdawaq View Post
So I just got my 65in a8g, is it just mine or is everyone else's slightly curved when looking at it from the sides? The screen is slightly concave... is this normal or is mine a dud?
I noticed something similar but only when I look closely...doesn't affect

the excellent picture though!
BFJ 96 likes this.
post #269 of 374 Old 12-17-2019, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1502 Post(s)
Liked: 869
Quote:
Thanks!
If you hit action menu and picture settings it will have an HDR or DV logo at the top of the picture settings menu if the current signal is using that.

Of course make sure your AVR is even capable of passing a DV signal through in the first place.
BFJ 96 likes this.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
post #270 of 374 Old 12-17-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsorensen View Post
If you hit action menu and picture settings it will have an HDR or DV logo at the top of the picture settings menu if the current signal is using that.

Of course make sure your AVR is even capable of passing a DV signal through in the first place.
Great! Thank you for that. It's an XBox S>Netflix Dolby Vision movie showing HDR in top corner and Picture Mode said Dolby Vision.

(edit: just read that Dolby Vision is the brand name for high dynamic range (HDR). So looks like everything is good!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5405.jpeg
Views:	26
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	2655180  
BFJ 96 likes this.

Last edited by KvnJmpl; 12-17-2019 at 10:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page