2019 Sony A8G OLED Owner's Thread (No Price Talk) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 18Likes

post #1 of 136 Old 07-28-2019, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6788 Post(s)
Liked: 6791
2019 Sony A8G OLED Owner's Thread (No Price Talk)

Who has one, we want to hear about it Don't forget those pictures to !

General information on Sony A8G web page:
https://www.sony.com/electronics/tel...xbr-a8g-series

Reviews:

Rtings review and information:
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/a8g-oled

Sony A8G 4K HDR OLED TV Unboxing And Basic Setup by Digital Trends::

Sony A8G 4K HDR OLED TV Hands-On Review by Digital Trends::

Sony A8G by ABT:

A8G vs A9G Comparison by Digital Trends

Last edited by Cleveland Plasma; Today at 08:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 136 Old 07-29-2019, 05:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Who has one, we want to hear about it Don't forget those pictures to !
I do

I did a bannding and burn in test from the color software you have on here the test was done on 3% gray please check photo of sony A9G tv can someone tell me what this is? this is my A9G tv both have it. the second tv of same brand had as soon as turned tv on from test
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tv.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	529.6 KB
ID:	2596096  
post #3 of 136 Old 08-07-2019, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Just installed/wall-mounted the 65" version. I followed the RTINGS recommended settings and have been enjoying it. I had a plasma and so picture quality was important, and I'm very happy with the choice. Even my wife noted how great the picture was using various sources including Netflix (4K HDR/Dolby Vision) or streaming 1080p content from my QNAP NAS.

I picked the Sony over the LG C9 when I saw the differences in processing between the two. The LG tended to wash out details and the Sony also had more "depth" to the image than the LG. Plus I also saw that the LG cut off edge of the video. You can see this in some of the pictures in the side-by-side pictures in the RTINGS comparisons. I was told this was due to the processing chip in the LG.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 136 Old 08-10-2019, 10:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
We just purchased an XBR-65A8G. It was super easy to set up and the picture and color is perfect for us right out of the box. There is only one thing we cannot figure out. Every time we change the channel a female voice announces the channel name and the program and we can’t figure out how to make it stop! Does anyone know how to do this?
Hetfieldjames likes this.
post #5 of 136 Old 08-11-2019, 03:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked: 1111
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
We just purchased an XBR-65A8G. It was super easy to set up and the picture and color is perfect for us right out of the box. There is only one thing we cannot figure out. Every time we change the channel a female voice announces the channel name and the program and we can’t figure out how to make it stop! Does anyone know how to do this?
Nice purchase I bet it's incredible and man that would be annoying. Gotta be a way to stop that from happening?
post #6 of 136 Old 08-11-2019, 09:16 AM

Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
Nice purchase I bet it's incredible and man that would be annoying. Gotta be a way to stop that from happening?
It turns out it was a setting on our cable box. It was weird because 1) It didn’t happen on our old TV and 2) All the voice settings were off.

We ended up toggling a setting on and back off again and that took care of it. Technology has a mind of its own.
post #7 of 136 Old 08-13-2019, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New AG8 Owner

Longtime lurker to these forums, first time poster.

I am a recent purchaser of the 65" Sony AG8 Model for 2019. I was essentially replacing the 65" 2015 XBR930C from 2015 which was starting to have a multitude of problems with staying connected to Wifi, and generally being very, very slow as of late with the latest round of application upgrades.

Also, as a frame of reference, I also have the LG OLED C8 55" in my upstairs and a cheapie TCL Roku 4k TV in my bedroom, so I have a little but of a direct comparison with Sony and LG Oleds here. I am by no means a technically driven videophone, I just know what my eyes like.

Just had a 1.) comment on The AG8 model, 2.) a quick comparison between LG and Sony OLED (After watching a handful of 4k oled demo videos on youtube side by side), and 3.) a question for the forum here that hopefully someone knows the answer to with the Android OS.

Comment on AG8: Great TV overall, VERY happy with my purchase - The picture is great and is a significant upgrade to my 2015 model. The picture was configured really close to how I wanted it with the Cinema Mode preset. Also, given my issues with the 2015 Sony, I was initially impressed with how technology has improved in the Sony TV working with Android OS from 2015 mode (FYI I am comparing the 2019 tv with the Oreo OS already installed).

To be specific, 2 things I saw with the 2015 model which are greatly improved: 1.) The network switching....This was super frustrating, as this tv is the only device in my house that would constantly lose connection with the internet. It just seemed like the logic to keep a connection had issues, and would ultimately drop my connection on a regular basis (Only a restart seemed to fix this). 2. The actual way the OS handles the amount of data for videos and streaming seems to be much more intelligent. I experienced absolutely no buffering at anytime, loading up a variety of 4k videos on youtube. Almost was never the case with my 2015 Bravia.

Lastly, a comment on the OS in general. I am in the camp of preferring Android OS and having my TV be open and configurable with whatever apps I want vs being locked down with WebOS on LG. For me, I can tolerate most minor ui design flaws/bugs for that level of customization (Feels familiarly like the Apple vs Android, Mac vs PC age old debate.

Again, overall, I am very happy with the purchase, and for my own personal home use, I didnt feel the A9G had enough to warrant the extra 1000 or so on the purchase (Someone convince me otherwise to take back the A8G for the 9.

Comparison of AG8 to my LG C8 : So before I mounted the AG8, I set it up in the same room as my LG, and did a quick comparison of the tv (Thank god for these new 40 lb tvs these days!) In the youtube OLED demo videos I watched on the two tvs, two things remained apparent. The LG definitely pops more upon first view and is much brighter with colors, but I really feel the complexity of the colors and overall pictureon the Sony is slightly better. Overall though , very minimal difference between the two, and I support the statement ive read by other folks. I dont want to start a war , so ill just leave it at that. My initially gut visual comparison had me feeling like I got more of what I wanted to see in my Sony.

Question for the forum: So I am hoping someone can answer this. I have been a cord cutter for the last 5 years, relying only on streaming apps. I do not use HDMI or even over the air tv, and rely on a streaming service for my tv. Is there a way to get the OS to default not load anything, or even just load a specific application on TV startup, instead of loading one of the Inputs. I have looked everywhere, but didnt see a way how to do this. with the 2019 the OS is lightning fast, so no issues there, but with the 2015 this input thing would take 30 seconds or more sometimes to clear out of to the main OS screen, and it was super frustrating!! Any help of this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers everyone!

Tom
post #8 of 136 Old 08-23-2019, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1947 Post(s)
Liked: 3777
A8G Settings

Cinema Pro

Brightness Menu
Brightness: 38
Contrast: 90
Gamma: -2
Black Level: 50
Black ADJ: Off
Adv. Contrast Enhancer: Off
Peak Luminance: Low

Color Menu
Color Temp: Expert 1

ADV Color Temp
R-Gain: -1
G-Gain: Max
B-Gain: -4
R-Bias: 0
G-Bias: 0
B-Bias: 0

Multi Point ADJ
Point 1
Min

Point 2

Point 3

Point 4

Point 5

Point 6

Point 7

Point 8

Point 9

Point 10

Clarity Menu
Reality Creation: Off
Smooth Gradation: Low

Motion Menu
Motionflow: True Cinema
CineMotion: Low
post #9 of 136 Old 08-27-2019, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 42
New owner..but not happy....yet.

Bought the 65" version last Saturday. Didn't have time to set it up till Monday (last night.) Put the legs on, set it in place, plugged in the HD cable box and sat down to see some magic and...........

Nothing! Tried to boot up for about 3 seconds, thin white strip of light down the right edge and along the bottom, then went dark and got the front indicator light flashing red 4 times. Ok.....maybe a glitch. Did the reset. Same result. Did it again. Same result. Are you f-ing kidding me?! $3500 TV DOA??

Called Sony tech support this morning. Very nice support guy. Explained it to him. Had me do the same unplug-reset action. Same result. He then says 'let's do some more troubleshooting' to see if it can be repaired or needs to be exchanged. I politely said I had no interest in any type of repair on a brand new $3500 TV. He politely said he understood and we closed the ticket.

Back to Best Buy it went and I returned with another one in an unopened box. Crossing my fingers I just got the outlier the first time. Will know more by end of the evening when I take another shot at setup on this new one.

9.2.4 || Processor: Denon AVR-X3600H || Amps: Emotiva BasX A-300
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 LCR, BA VSi 593 IW Surround-Wide, BA VSi 560 IC Tops
Subs: Seaton Submersive F2+Slave Front
Screen: 2.40:1 Seymour XD, 120" wide || Projector: JVC RS-600 + Panamorph Paladin
Sources: Nvidia Shield, Oppo 205, Roku Ultra 4K, ATT UVerse, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD
post #10 of 136 Old 08-28-2019, 08:05 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkscherk View Post
New owner..but not happy....yet.

Bought the 65" version last Saturday. Didn't have time to set it up till Monday (last night.) Put the legs on, set it in place, plugged in the HD cable box and sat down to see some magic and...........

Nothing! Tried to boot up for about 3 seconds, thin white strip of light down the right edge and along the bottom, then went dark and got the front indicator light flashing red 4 times. Ok.....maybe a glitch. Did the reset. Same result. Did it again. Same result. Are you f-ing kidding me?! $3500 TV DOA??

Called Sony tech support this morning. Very nice support guy. Explained it to him. Had me do the same unplug-reset action. Same result. He then says 'let's do some more troubleshooting' to see if it can be repaired or needs to be exchanged. I politely said I had no interest in any type of repair on a brand new $3500 TV. He politely said he understood and we closed the ticket.

Back to Best Buy it went and I returned with another one in an unopened box. Crossing my fingers I just got the outlier the first time. Will know more by end of the evening when I take another shot at setup on this new one.
You paid $3500 for an A8G???
post #11 of 136 Old 08-29-2019, 04:33 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfocussvt View Post
You paid $3500 for an A8G???
No....I didn't pay that. I'm stating that Sony positions this as a $3500 TV which is a very premium product and to have it be DOA is either bad luck due to damage in transit or crappy QA control.

BTW.....the replacement looks super right out of the box. Haven't touched any settings yet but already super impressed by the picture.

9.2.4 || Processor: Denon AVR-X3600H || Amps: Emotiva BasX A-300
Speakers: PSA MTM-210 LCR, BA VSi 593 IW Surround-Wide, BA VSi 560 IC Tops
Subs: Seaton Submersive F2+Slave Front
Screen: 2.40:1 Seymour XD, 120" wide || Projector: JVC RS-600 + Panamorph Paladin
Sources: Nvidia Shield, Oppo 205, Roku Ultra 4K, ATT UVerse, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD
post #12 of 136 Old 08-29-2019, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkscherk View Post
No....I didn't pay that. I'm stating that Sony positions this as a $3500 TV which is a very premium product and to have it be DOA is either bad luck due to damage in transit or crappy QA control.

No company's quality control, even Sony's, is full proof. No matter what, there will always be some DOAs. It was just bad luck. At least it manifested itself right away and where the clear path was to exchange.
post #13 of 136 Old 08-29-2019, 08:42 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
This is my A8G at 350 hours. The 5% isn't bad and tinting could be better but I guess its not too bad. What do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	56C37E61-08ED-49C0-84B8-236750069B9A.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	2608886   Click image for larger version

Name:	AD1BA25B-2BCD-422F-8B19-F08DF8A4840D.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	2608888  
post #14 of 136 Old 08-30-2019, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starrahboy View Post
This is my A8G at 350 hours. The 5% isn't bad and tinting could be better but I guess its not too bad. What do you guys think?
That's actually pretty good if it's a 65". I wouldn't be attempting an exchange.

Last edited by Yukon Trooper; 08-30-2019 at 11:43 AM.
post #15 of 136 Old 09-14-2019, 04:05 PM

Hi there! Long time lurker but have decided to post as I’m currently bouncing off between the Sony 55x900F and the Sony 55A8G.

Just picked up the A8G as a “geek squad certified” open box from Best Buy. I’m digging the picture quality and the deep blacks but I’ve been used to my X900F that I really can’t tell that much of a difference when it comes to UHD content when comparing both (besides the the bad wide angles and blooming) I actually prefer how bright my X900F gets.

The main question I have while I decide to keep it or not is if it’s normal to hear a switch-clicking sound from the TV when turning on and/or off? It’s more prominent when I turn it off and it almost sounds like a light switch-click like the old TVs from back in the day. It does it consistently every time when I turn it on and off. My X900F doesn’t do it at all.

I will point out that I do know TVs tend to snap, crackle, and pop when the metals and plastic expand from high temps and that’s nothing like what I’m talking about. I’m having a hard time justifying keeping my A8G over the X900F at this point especially with the high price difference.

Any input would be me much appreciated! Thanks.
post #16 of 136 Old 10-13-2019, 07:03 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi guys, quick question, does this tv suffer from burn in as bad as the LG's? I'm considering buying one but am worried, I saw some burn in tests on the LG model and it can creep in very quickly... has this been widely reported with the Sony??
post #17 of 136 Old 10-15-2019, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1451 Post(s)
Liked: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl79 View Post
Hi guys, quick question, does this tv suffer from burn in as bad as the LG's? I'm considering buying one but am worried, I saw some burn in tests on the LG model and it can creep in very quickly... has this been widely reported with the Sony??
Since the panel is the same as LG, for a given year, they should be the same. Most of the tests I remember seeing in the past were done on 2016 LG models which seem to be a lot more impacted than 2017 and newer. From reading the threads for the last few years, my impression (and given people self report and are likely to report problems more than non problems) is that for the 2016 LG models there were quite a few cases of burn in, but not very many for 2017 and newer. My understanding is that LG made a change in the panel layers in 2017 that probably helped quite a bit.

I am certainly not too concerned about burn in on my 2017 A1E, but I do have it configured to turn off if left idle on the main screen or in an app for 15 minutes, and to turn off after 2 hours if no buttons have been touched on the remote in that time just in case someone forgets it when they leave the room. I wouldn't use it as a computer monitor though, although some people do report doing that without any issues so far.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
post #18 of 136 Old 10-15-2019, 07:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Any recommendations on good, affordable TV mounts that allow the TV to be pulled out from the wall - then pushed back to sit very close to the wall? I see Sony has one for $250 (which is pure insanity..). Monoprice? Other good options?

Thanks for your help!
post #19 of 136 Old 10-16-2019, 07:56 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Just thought I would chime in. I'm about a week into having this TV and am thrilled! 65" version for the bedroom. The OLED works great for this, as most of our bedroom TV viewing is at night with the lights off after the kiddos go to sleep.

I upgraded from a 900B, so I'm sure anything new would have looked amazing. But I am still blown away.

Marantz SR7010 - Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 3 - SeymourAV 16:9 Premier 130" XD - JVC DLA-RS540 - 7.2.4 - L/C/R DIY Fusion 15 Sentinel - Surrounds RSL CG3 - Ceiling Polk RC80i - Dual UM-18s in sealed 4 cu ft with bridged Crown XLS 2002s
post #20 of 136 Old 10-16-2019, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudexxi View Post
Any recommendations on good, affordable TV mounts that allow the TV to be pulled out from the wall - then pushed back to sit very close to the wall? I see Sony has one for $250 (which is pure insanity..). Monoprice? Other good options?

Thanks for your help!
There are cheaper version, obviously, but the Sony mount is specific for it to be flush mounted against the wall, while also retaining the ability to pulled out and angled. It's the main reason I went with the A8G over the C9.

Marantz SR7010 - Emotiva XPA-3 Gen 3 - SeymourAV 16:9 Premier 130" XD - JVC DLA-RS540 - 7.2.4 - L/C/R DIY Fusion 15 Sentinel - Surrounds RSL CG3 - Ceiling Polk RC80i - Dual UM-18s in sealed 4 cu ft with bridged Crown XLS 2002s
post #21 of 136 Old 10-16-2019, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked: 1111
Quote:
Originally Posted by klimo View Post
Just thought I would chime in. I'm about a week into having this TV and am thrilled! 65" version for the bedroom. The OLED works great for this, as most of our bedroom TV viewing is at night with the lights off after the kiddos go to sleep.

I upgraded from a 900B, so I'm sure anything new would have looked amazing. But I am still blown away.
I was in BB last weekend and OLED from LG and Sony looked just out of this world absolutely stunning. I mean it's hard to put into words the picture quality of OLED. I'm still a few years from getting one because I have a Sony 900E and I'm not gonna change out just to do, especially this fast but OLED is simply breathtaking.
post #22 of 136 Old 10-16-2019, 08:04 AM

One more thing I would add. The panel tranducers emit the best tv speakers i've ever heard. The imaging is really great. Obviously, they aren't punchy or terribly loud, but the imaging is incredibly noticeable. I would love to be able to use the panel as a center channel speaker paired with a a couple high quality L/Rs and a sub.

post #23 of 136 Old 10-29-2019, 01:34 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 12
2019 Sony XBR-55A8G OLED Owners Thread

We just purchased this TV to replace my 15 year old Panasonic Plasma. After researching all the OLED and QLED tech (didn't want LCD LED) we decided to go with OLED because we wanted true black over brightness. Most of our viewing is at night anyway. We had a $1000 to $2000 budget so this TV fit the bill. I guess it's easy to say this is a mid range set according to price. I've read a lot of customer reviews and professional reviews and they are all generally good.

First impressions are this is a great set. The blacks are outstanding which makes everything else great. 4K really pops. I suggest watching Advenger, Infinity War in 4K. Even the up-scaling makes everything look great. I watch quite a bit of sports and there is some motion blur but it seems to only occur when the athlete is running and the camera is keeping up with the athlete in a somewhat zoomed in view. It's not that bad and someone that is not a videofile like myself probably wouldn't notice. Still learning Android TV but since I'm and Android phone guy it's been a small learning curve. I'll probably end up trying to calibrate it myself after a little break-in time. I'm not worried about image burn-in as I won't be gaming much on this TV and we are usually hopping around the channels.

Here is a good start to calibration:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/so...-oled/settings

I'll probably pick this up soon:

https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Video...QJ0BPMR3PRPZ1F

The sound out of this set is amazing. No, it's not high quality home theater sound but the Acoustic Audio Tech is pretty neat. I do have my soundbar with sub-woofer connected but I've turned down the treble and only use it for bass response. It's really neat to perceive the sound coming from the screen instead of the center speaker when someone is talking. It's subtle but listening to another TV you feel something is missing after watching this TV.

Here are some links that you might find handy:

Sony Product page:
https://www.sony.com/electronics/tel...xbr-a8g-series

Product Support:
https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup...oid-/xbr-55a8g

Help Guide:
https://helpguide.sony.net/tv/gusltn...003/index.html

Android TV on XDA Developers:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/android-tv

I have a Logitech K400 pro wireless keyboard coming and I'll add my experience with it as soon as I get it. I found real quick that entering info when searching or WiFi passwords etc. is a pain with the on-screen keyboard and remote. Why these manufacturers don't bundle better input devices with their smart TV's is beyond me.

Keyboard:
https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wire...2333011&sr=8-2

Hope this helps

Enjoy
John

Last edited by theandies; 10-29-2019 at 03:36 PM.
post #24 of 136 Old 10-29-2019, 06:43 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Since you mentioned that you watch a lot of sports...can you tell me how watching sports on cable tv looks on this set? I'm coming from a 2013 1080p Samsung Plasma and just got the Sony 950G but have to say that the old plasma looked better when watching football, basketball, etc. Things just look more blurry on the 65" 950G especially when within 8-10 feet. I know it is upscaling lower 720p / 1080i / 1080p content but again, our old plasma did a great job. I'm wondering if exchanging for this OLED will make things look better (even though it would be going from the X1 Ultimate Processor to the X1 Extreme in this OLED) or if sports on 4K TV's just will never look good as good as they did on a 1080p plasma until they actually start broadcasting in 4K.
post #25 of 136 Old 10-29-2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFnuts View Post
Since you mentioned that you watch a lot of sports...can you tell me how watching sports on cable tv looks on this set? I'm coming from a 2013 1080p Samsung Plasma and just got the Sony 950G but have to say that the old plasma looked better when watching football, basketball, etc. Things just look more blurry on the 65" 950G especially when within 8-10 feet. I know it is upscaling lower 720p / 1080i / 1080p content but again, our old plasma did a great job. I'm wondering if exchanging for this OLED will make things look better (even though it would be going from the X1 Ultimate Processor to the X1 Extreme in this OLED) or if sports on 4K TV's just will never look good as good as they did on a 1080p plasma until they actually start broadcasting in 4K.

There are a few anti-motion blur settings but right now I have them turned off (just to check the performance of the panel). We've watched quite a few college football games with them off and I didn't notice any more motion blur than on my 42 inch Panasonic Plasma (1080i). If you are looking for it then you'll probably see it but the casual viewer probably wouldn't notice since any blur is very subtle. I can't comment on how well the anti-motion blur settings help. What I was going to do is find a game that seemed to have a lot of motion blur then turn on these settings but as you can see I never had blur enough to turn them on. I'll report back if this changes.
post #26 of 136 Old 10-29-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMexicanoAlto View Post
Hi there! Long time lurker but have decided to post as I’m currently bouncing off between the Sony 55x900F and the Sony 55A8G.

Just picked up the A8G as a “geek squad certified” open box from Best Buy. I’m digging the picture quality and the deep blacks but I’ve been used to my X900F that I really can’t tell that much of a difference when it comes to UHD content when comparing both (besides the the bad wide angles and blooming) I actually prefer how bright my X900F gets.

The main question I have while I decide to keep it or not is if it’s normal to hear a switch-clicking sound from the TV when turning on and/or off? It’s more prominent when I turn it off and it almost sounds like a light switch-click like the old TVs from back in the day. It does it consistently every time when I turn it on and off. My X900F doesn’t do it at all.

I will point out that I do know TVs tend to snap, crackle, and pop when the metals and plastic expand from high temps and that’s nothing like what I’m talking about. I’m having a hard time justifying keeping my A8G over the X900F at this point especially with the high price difference.

Any input would be me much appreciated! Thanks.

That is a relay switching...........normal.
post #27 of 136 Old 10-30-2019, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 3
BB had a great sale so my tv is coming saturday. even though i did a lot of research, i never knew you arent to lay OLED down or i would have brought it home in my car.

1. im very new to oled and have no clue what to look for as far as making sure the screen is ok. obvious things like lines, sure. but is there a oled for dummies page or some kind of test video i can play to ensure the screen is good?

2 hopefully dont need this but if i do have to return it, will they care i brought it back in my car?

3. i plan on streaming from my readynas box and i hope its easy to setup so if anyone has done the same i'd appreciate some tips. other content will be OTA thru my tivo premiere
post #28 of 136 Old 10-31-2019, 02:02 PM

Update: The Logitech K400 Pro keyboard works great. The only thing that I don't like about it is it's build quality. I guess that's what you get for $24.

Sony 2019 Sony XBR-55A8G
Panasonic TH-42PX50U - 49,203 hours! Retired :-(

Various "cheap" TV's in kids room and video game room.
post #29 of 136 Old 11-03-2019, 07:29 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 3
just got the tv yesterday. SD and OTA quality are great but i have a few questions

is there a better manual or tutor for dummies so i can see what all the settings are supposed to do. sometimes saying low/med/high just isnt enough for me though i know i should just go on looks. but i want to know what things do

i watched 4k star wars from 2017 and some of the blacks were too dark. i couldnt discern objects and people blended into the background. i had to turn the tv to vivid. is there another setting i should have tried

i did rtings settings out of the box on the custom setting so maybe that was the issue.

how do you know what setting to use. i guess all trial and error? sports may not look the best on sports necessarily. newbies to oled can get overwhelmed by all the settings. are we really supposed to change settings based on what content we are watching? id find that very tedious.

on some of my sub channels OTA the programs now have side black bars and hitting the display button doesnt do a thing. i didnt have this on plasma. how can i eliminate the black bars.

Last edited by luckydriver; 11-03-2019 at 04:36 PM.
post #30 of 136 Old 11-04-2019, 03:26 AM

luckydriver,
Try the setting in post 8 and see what that does for you. As far as black bars on the side I think you need to adjust the WIDE settings.
Check this link out, it may help:

https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup...icles/00031431

Sony 2019 Sony XBR-55A8G
Panasonic TH-42PX50U - 49,203 hours! Retired :-(

Various "cheap" TV's in kids room and video game room.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page