Poll: OLED Burn-In & Warranty Service - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: Have experienced OLED burn-in and if yes, did you get warranty service
I have not experienced burn-in with my OLED 145 82.86%
I got free-of-charge service for burn-in while under factory warranty 5 2.86%
I got free-of-charge service for burn-in & my TV was out of warranty 5 2.86%
I requested service for my in-warranty OLED with burn-in but it is unconfirmed or on-hold 1 0.57%
My factory warrantied OLED has burn-in but I have not requested service 4 2.29%
I got free-of-charge service for burn-in using Geek Squad extended warranty 7 4.00%
I got free-of-charge service for burn-in using SquareTrade extended warranty 1 0.57%
I got free-of-charge service for burn-in using my credit card's extended warranty 0 0%
I have an extended warranty and my OLED has burn-in but I have not requested service 7 4.00%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 125Likes

post #31 of 173 Old 08-07-2019, 04:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
This poll turned out exactly as I expected. A very vocal minority on here love to run their mouths about how all OLEDs fail from burn-in. Nope. I am not even careful with mine.
SinGA and junior00027 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 173 Old 08-07-2019, 05:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 3178 Post(s)
Liked: 3920
^unfortunately every year one of these polls will come out to keep this conversation going because who knows...its just worded differently this year...now how many polls are created for any drawbacks associated with LCD's...especially a certain brand...hmmm, but hey I guess a nice review absolves everything right
post #33 of 173 Old 08-07-2019, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 463 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9338 Post(s)
Liked: 16550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
^unfortunately every year one of these polls will come out to keep this conversation going because who knows...its just worded differently this year...now how many polls are created for any drawbacks associated with LCD's...especially a certain brand...hmmm, but hey I guess a nice review absolves everything right
Thank you for sharing.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 173 Old 08-07-2019, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^your welcome.
post #35 of 173 Old 08-08-2019, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So... Are there options to address burn-in on an out of warranty OLED?
post #36 of 173 Old 08-08-2019, 07:30 AM
aka jfinnie

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 3102 Post(s)
Liked: 2230
I see there's no option in the poll for having had burn-in but warranty service was refused - doesn't that ever happen in the US? In the UK several stores have specific exclusions for burn in.
post #37 of 173 Old 08-08-2019, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1821 Post(s)
Liked: 3607
I own 2 LG OLED's with no IR or burn-in: I am cautious how I use them knowing burn in can happen, and knowing it can also be prevented

I don't understand how some networks can put up bright, burn in causing logo's 24/7: they are the real culprit here: I wonder if anyone has attempted to sue CNN for damage to their TV?
gorman42 likes this.

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
LG C9 OLED owner

Last edited by markrubin; 08-08-2019 at 12:25 PM.
post #38 of 173 Old 08-08-2019, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrR0Ck View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobof View Post
I see there's no option in the poll for having had burn-in but warranty service was refused - doesn't that ever happen in the US? In the UK several stores have specific exclusions for burn in.
I forgot to add it and I can't edit the poll is the only reason why. Oops.
bobof likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #39 of 173 Old 08-08-2019, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
I forgot to add it and I can't edit the poll is the only reason why. Oops.

I think you misunderstood my question: I actually meant are there any options available to someone with burn-in on an out of warranty TV to get it repaired?
post #40 of 173 Old 08-08-2019, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
I think you misunderstood my question: I actually meant are there any options available to someone with burn-in on an out of warranty TV to get it repaired?
Oh... Probably none that are better than buying a new TV.
DrR0Ck likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #41 of 173 Old 08-08-2019, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 95
I have and LG EF9500. No burn in. About 3000 hours on the panel. I have had image retention that went away in a matter of minutes.

I got the LG EF9500 after my Samsung 8500 plasma got burn in at the letterbox positions. My wife bought me the Best Buy warranty (which was bloody expensive) and they refunded the complete purchase price of the Samsung as no replacement panels were available. Top notch service.

LG 65EF9500: Panasonic UB820; Sony UBP-X800; Yamaha CX-A5200; Polk LSI; Axiom Audio M5HP; SVS SB-13 Ultra; John 3:16;
post #42 of 173 Old 08-08-2019, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
In my last post, I forgot to mention that I've also been using subtitles for the past 2-3 years due to a gradual hearing loss. The default was for them to randomly switch between the bottom of the screen and the upper area of the screen. I never found a way to change it, and I've since adjusted. Had they stayed at the bottom my results could have been different... although the new subtitles would have just covered them up.
post #43 of 173 Old 08-08-2019, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 3
No burn in on my 65 B7 or my 55 EF both with hundreds of hours gaming on them 👍

LG B7
Sony STRDN1080
Oppo UDP-203
Playstation 4 Neo
post #44 of 173 Old 08-08-2019, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Not really, it depends on how bad it is, watching some different content may help
DrR0Ck likes this.
post #45 of 173 Old 08-09-2019, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked: 201
I know if you abuse an OLED it can burn in but I think the panels that have even under normal use were / are defective panels that are more susceptible to it. I have a C6 and I'm almost to 6,000 hours of use with a ton of gaming in HDR mode and I have had no issues. I've even fallen asleep with a static image on screen a few times (one was red) and still not 1 issue. Then I read where others have hardly used their panels or just done some basic viewing with New Channels and they've experienced it. If not defective panels I wonder if these panels should be babied for the 1st 1000 hours or so as I did but for now I've stopped treating it an differently than any other Panel in the house with no issues at all.
post #46 of 173 Old 08-09-2019, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
I don't understand how some networks can put up bright, burn in causing logo's 24/7: they are the real culprit here: I wonder if anyone has attempted to sue CNN for damage to their TV?
Yes, this is pretty unbelievable for me. We went from CRT to plasma and then to OLED. There's probably a window in there where, for a couple of years, emissive displays were not available at consumer level prices. But all the time emissive displays were a significant portion of viewership (at least 10%, say?). How can TV network so blatantly disregard such a relevant portion of their viewers it's impossible for me to understand.
markrubin likes this.

Seriously. AVS is a place where you go to learn to be unhappy. - Bear5k
Video Pioneer PDP-LX6090 (calibrated)
Audio Yamaha RX-A3010, Dynaudio Audience 72 (FL, FR), Dynaudio Audience 42C (C), Dynaudio 42W (SR, SL), Chario Piccolo Star Satellite (Presence Height), SVS PB-1000 (SW)
Sources HTPC, Xbox One S, Squeezebox
post #47 of 173 Old 08-09-2019, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 17
15% of AVS board members have burn in. Do you think those stats apply to the general consuming public? My guess is that the burn in problem is much bigger than 15%. But let's say it is only 15%. Is that an acceptable failure rate? Manufacturers would not be fixing panels in or out of warranty when the OEM warranties clearly state that they do not cover panel burn in. Ask yourself why are they doing this? Is it because they know they have produced faulty product and knowingly shipped it to an unsuspecting public? Or because they have lots of extra cash laying around and want to be nice guys. Or that the screens are being sold as something that they are not? That is, for viewing with no static images, not as a replacement for your everyday have the TV on for noise all day 1986 Mitsubishi CRT. Just go to Best Buy and look at the wall of oled panels. Between the stop and restart of the demo loop you will see it for yourself. Do you trust your own eyes?

So is 15% failure rate OK on a $3K plus product? Apply that failure rate to the real world. If 15% of all babies born were dropped by their doctors would that be OK? If 15% of all tires blew out over 55 mph would that be OK? And on and on..... That 15% failure rate is astronomical. There clearly is a problem with the panels. How long before the first law suit?
post #48 of 173 Old 08-09-2019, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Have 65E6 no burn in. Try to be careful as I can but its my main TV so its used for everything including gaming. Over 8000 hours. I do check slides regularly for piece of mind
post #49 of 173 Old 08-09-2019, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Never seen burn in with my previous plasma screens and my current OLED. I stopped caring and being protective a after couple of years with the first plasma.
post #50 of 173 Old 08-09-2019, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1351 Post(s)
Liked: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenv996 View Post
15% of AVS board members have burn in. Do you think those stats apply to the general consuming public? My guess is that the burn in problem is much bigger than 15%. But let's say it is only 15%. Is that an acceptable failure rate? Manufacturers would not be fixing panels in or out of warranty when the OEM warranties clearly state that they do not cover panel burn in. Ask yourself why are they doing this? Is it because they know they have produced faulty product and knowingly shipped it to an unsuspecting public? Or because they have lots of extra cash laying around and want to be nice guys. Or that the screens are being sold as something that they are not? That is, for viewing with no static images, not as a replacement for your everyday have the TV on for noise all day 1986 Mitsubishi CRT. Just go to Best Buy and look at the wall of oled panels. Between the stop and restart of the demo loop you will see it for yourself. Do you trust your own eyes?

So is 15% failure rate OK on a $3K plus product? Apply that failure rate to the real world. If 15% of all babies born were dropped by their doctors would that be OK? If 15% of all tires blew out over 55 mph would that be OK? And on and on..... That 15% failure rate is astronomical. There clearly is a problem with the panels. How long before the first law suit?
Sounds a little dramatic. Maybe because it's not seen as a failure, just inherent with the technology. All the manufacturers can do is apply measures to mitigate the risk, including making the consumer aware. They don't hide the risk, my manual for the A9G has it like on the first page about the risks.

Also, likely people are confusing image retention with full on burn in. I also think 15% is not accurate at all. We don't even know how many TV's are out in the public with 0 issues whom don't post on forums. We also don't know how many people in this forum don't have any issue; I rarely participate in polls for example.
markrubin and Gillietalls like this.

Sony XBR-77A9G / Panasonic DP-UB9000 / Marantz SR7011 / Def Tech 9060 Series
post #51 of 173 Old 08-09-2019, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I would call it a failure. Whether it is 15% or 30%. If it needs to be repaired or replaced then something is wrong. I had an OLED with image retention, burn in, whatever you want to call it. The panel became unwatchable. All I could focus on was the 3 in gray/black horizontal bar on the screen and the ghost of CNN breaking news in the corner. At my local best buy, all of the OLED panels on their mishmash wall were sporting ghosting.

Image retention implies that the image will eventually go away. Burn in implies it is permanent. If it is temporary then why no fix and the panel needs to be replaced?

No matter how it is categorized, a $4000 TV should not become unwatchable within the first year and a half. Clearly the manufacturer agreed with me.
Mikejl and DrR0Ck like this.
post #52 of 173 Old 08-09-2019, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Quote:

Clearly you have no understanding how polls work.... those who have problems will be more likely to take a poll than those who do not, it is a fact that cannot be argued... that said the 15% is inflated, it is much less than that.
Gillietalls and Cam1977 like this.
post #53 of 173 Old 08-09-2019, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjv238 View Post
Clearly you have no understanding how polls work.... those who have problems will be more likely to take a poll than those who do not, it is a fact that cannot be argued... that said the 15% is inflated, it is much less than that.
You can argue you don't know the real number with certainly. But unless you have proof, the rest you your assertion is not actually a fact, it's a reasonable guess but not a fact.

Unless of course you have some actual fact to share demonstrating otherwise, we don't know for certain if it's underrepresented or overrepresented.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #54 of 173 Old 08-09-2019, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
You can argue you don't know the real number with certainly. But unless you have proof, the rest you your assertion is not actually a fact, it's a reasonable guess but not a fact.

Unless of course you have some actual fact to share demonstrating otherwise, we don't know for certain if it's underrepresented or overrepresented.
Plenty of scientific data has been conducted on this topic, more so in regards to customer service but those who have issues are more likely to take a poll, it is a fact.
Cam1977 likes this.
post #55 of 173 Old 08-09-2019, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Completely agree...please show me actual evidence that the failure rate is near or at 15% The fact remains and as evidenced by this very poll that this issue while unfortunate is in the minority. Now for those who insist the failure rate is high, why not go to the other side and take a look at those threads and the amount of exchanges or warranty work being done...

Last edited by Cam1977; 08-09-2019 at 04:47 PM.
post #56 of 173 Old 08-09-2019, 04:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

So what proof do You actually have to show us??? The same argument you mentioned to the member you responded to applies to your assertion as well...I mean as soon as some one has a contradictory response their methods get questioned...this poll will again prove nothing other than bringing the usual back and forth.
chunon and Gillietalls like this.

Last edited by Cam1977; 08-09-2019 at 04:54 PM.
post #57 of 173 Old 08-09-2019, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 178
I have burn in on my b6 as does my dad. Both of us use our LGs for gaming and main watching. Contacted LG with no aftermarket warranty and seeing if they will do anything. Ive already had my panel replaced twice for other problems. Didn't vote yet. I just used my TV as a TV, I didn't baby it but maybe I should have. I have TV logos in both bottom corners and some from video games. My dad has really bad whole screen burn in from Fallout 4. I now run an LCD for my main TV as it turns out that's better for my situation. Live and learn I guess. Had multiple plasmas same usage zero burn in.
DrR0Ck likes this.

Sony 75x940e l LG B6 65" | Denon X4000 | Definitive Technology SM65 (L/R) | Definitive Technology Mythos 10 (C) | HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP

Last edited by boosted330; 08-09-2019 at 04:49 PM.
post #58 of 173 Old 08-09-2019, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1351 Post(s)
Liked: 1094
Quote:
I would call it a failure. Whether it is 15% or 30%. If it needs to be repaired or replaced then something is wrong. I had an OLED with image retention, burn in, whatever you want to call it. The panel became unwatchable. All I could focus on was the 3 in gray/black horizontal bar on the screen and the ghost of CNN breaking news in the corner. At my local best buy, all of the OLED panels on their mishmash wall were sporting ghosting.

Image retention implies that the image will eventually go away. Burn in implies it is permanent. If it is temporary then why no fix and the panel needs to be replaced?

No matter how it is categorized, a $4000 TV should not become unwatchable within the first year and a half. Clearly the manufacturer agreed with me.
So now it's 30%. My guess is likely like 4% or less

I go to my Best Buy and Magnolia almost every weekend, and regularly window shop for TVs. Never have I seen image retention nor burn in on display models.

You are likely jaded from your bad experience, it's ok. Probably the first person that hit "yes" you were already responding with "I OLD YOU SO!"
post #59 of 173 Old 08-09-2019, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbz06 View Post
So now it's 30%. My guess is likely like 4% or less

I go to my Best Buy and Magnolia almost every weekend, and regularly window shop for TVs. Never have I seen image retention nor burn in on display models.

You are likely jaded from your bad experience, it's ok. Probably the first person that hit "yes" you were already responding with "I OLD YOU SO!"
My local Magnolia store has a trashed c9. Whole center of the screen is massively screwed from burn in. No idea what would have caused it as they have a video playing on the tv. Must have been a static image for a while or something.

Sony 75x940e l LG B6 65" | Denon X4000 | Definitive Technology SM65 (L/R) | Definitive Technology Mythos 10 (C) | HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #60 of 173 Old 08-09-2019, 05:40 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:

lol. Stop watching too many quantum apotheosis videos on YouTube.
Cam1977 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page