Poll: OLED Burn-In & Warranty Service - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: Have experienced OLED burn-in and if yes, did you get warranty service
I have not experienced burn-in with my OLED 145 82.86%
I got free-of-charge service for burn-in while under factory warranty 5 2.86%
I got free-of-charge service for burn-in & my TV was out of warranty 5 2.86%
I requested service for my in-warranty OLED with burn-in but it is unconfirmed or on-hold 1 0.57%
My factory warrantied OLED has burn-in but I have not requested service 4 2.29%
I got free-of-charge service for burn-in using Geek Squad extended warranty 7 4.00%
I got free-of-charge service for burn-in using SquareTrade extended warranty 1 0.57%
I got free-of-charge service for burn-in using my credit card's extended warranty 0 0%
I have an extended warranty and my OLED has burn-in but I have not requested service 7 4.00%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 125Likes

post #91 of 173 Old 08-11-2019, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 430 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9066 Post(s)
Liked: 15977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbun View Post
Yeah, that was what I was trying to get at, as well. There is nothing I can think of that I've watched, or game I've played, that would have caused that burn-in. And what makes it even more unusual is it is much more pronounced than the other burn-in I noticed during the color test (on YouTube).

I chose the last option, in "I have an extended warranty and my OLED has burn-in, but I have not requested service". However, the only reason I have not done that is I just noticed it over the weekend. My warranty place is closed right now. I will contact them tomorrow.

I am hoping they have a local representative that can come out and I am able to convince (or they can determine) that the circular burn-in was not my cause, and will be able to do something for me. But I'm afraid they will just say "It's burn-in, we don't cover that."
Keep us posted!

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 173 Old 08-11-2019, 07:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Here's MY experience. 4 years ago, we purchased an LG OLED B6 . It was the latest greatest at the time and the best looking screen we found. $3,500, not cheap.

Within 6 months we started noticing a wide burn-in along the bottom area - the area of the screen where broadcasts display those stupid & annoying scrawlers and constant rectangular "information" things, their LOGOs, etc. It got worse and became very noticeable when the screen went to various solid colors .. YELLOW or REDish being the most prominent.

I called the business we purchased it from, sent them a picture of the Burn-in. (We had an extended warranty). They talked to an LG representative and came back with "Burn In is not Covered" !!!! So we were stuck with the issue, until I started complaining directly at @LGUSA on Twitter when THEY started touting this new OLED technology. They DM'd me and said they'd like to get it fixed. WOW !! And they DID ... sent a tech, evaluated it, replaced the front Screen.

So all was good -- for about 2 months again. Now THIS 2nd screen has the exact same issue. We've given up & won't purchase another OLED.

I know many people don't see this. The only thing that may be different is they don't have the same viewing habits as others. We don't do Gaming at all. TV is on most of the day, usually on CNN or MSNBC when not watching sports or movies/netflix/etc. We also do a lot of BUFFERING, to FFWD thru commercials. So those static scrawls/logos are there most of the time unless we utilize a custom ASPECT RATIO that resizes the screen so that those scrawls/logos are off the bottom of the screen. Which of course defeats the purpose of a beautiful 16:9 image. Even implementing that ASPECT RATIO change didn't stop the Burn-In. And it has only gotten worse. So that's our story. (Side note: if the networks would just stop with all that stupid LOGO & SCRAWL bar stuff, this would be less of an issue. But that's another story.) IF anyone wants to see an picture of the burn-in as Proof, I'd be happy to upload one.
Mikejl and Nation66 like this.

Last edited by Cody94549; 08-11-2019 at 07:22 AM. Reason: corrected words
post #93 of 173 Old 08-11-2019, 07:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I also posted this over in the Owner's Thread for the LG OLED65E6P, but thought I would update here, as well.

But I ran "Clear Panel Noise" on my TV and checked the color slides again on YouTube. Running it helped a great deal. All the miscellaneous, what I thought as burn-in, on the rest of the screen is practically gone. If you look VERY closely, you can see maybe one small bar or another area that has a dotted/dashed line (from my game). But again, you do have to look extremely close, where before it was quite obvious. Which makes me think this was all IR (image retention) now.

However, the one thing that remains is the circle. Although it "is" better (so it could be IR as well?). It isn't as bold as before, and I cannot see it in normal television viewing any longer, only on the YouTube color slides.

I really am wondering if I should still contact my warranty department or even LG now, considering I can't even see it on normal viewing any longer. Would running the "Clear Panel Noise" again help it even more?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 173 Old 08-12-2019, 06:00 AM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody94549 View Post
Here's MY experience. 4 years ago, we purchased an LG OLED B6 . It was the latest greatest at the time and the best looking screen we found. $3,500, not cheap.

Within 6 months we started noticing a wide burn-in along the bottom area - the area of the screen where broadcasts display those stupid & annoying scrawlers and constant rectangular "information" things, their LOGOs, etc. It got worse and became very noticeable when the screen went to various solid colors .. YELLOW or REDish being the most prominent.

I called the business we purchased it from, sent them a picture of the Burn-in. (We had an extended warranty). They talked to an LG representative and came back with "Burn In is not Covered" !!!! So we were stuck with the issue, until I started complaining directly at @LGUSA on Twitter when THEY started touting this new OLED technology. They DM'd me and said they'd like to get it fixed. WOW !! And they DID ... sent a tech, evaluated it, replaced the front Screen.

So all was good -- for about 2 months again. Now THIS 2nd screen has the exact same issue. We've given up & won't purchase another OLED.

I know many people don't see this. The only thing that may be different is they don't have the same viewing habits as others. We don't do Gaming at all. TV is on most of the day, usually on CNN or MSNBC when not watching sports or movies/netflix/etc. We also do a lot of BUFFERING, to FFWD thru commercials. So those static scrawls/logos are there most of the time unless we utilize a custom ASPECT RATIO that resizes the screen so that those scrawls/logos are off the bottom of the screen. Which of course defeats the purpose of a beautiful 16:9 image. Even implementing that ASPECT RATIO change didn't stop the Burn-In. And it has only gotten worse. So that's our story. (Side note: if the networks would just stop with all that stupid LOGO & SCRAWL bar stuff, this would be less of an issue. But that's another story.) IF anyone wants to see an picture of the burn-in as Proof, I'd be happy to upload one.
I had a similar situation after about having my LG OLED 55B7A for only about three months. I happened to contact LG USA through their Twitter account. I was floored by how they responded and made sure I had my panel (screen only) replaced. Then, after several months, I developed burn in again. And, again - LG USA responded on Twitter, and the second screen was replaced, without any hesitation.
By the way, I had the same technician for both replacements. He told me that he's kept busy replacing LG OLEDs because of burn ins. I like the technology, I don't think I'll buy another one of these panels.
Mikejl and imagic like this.
post #95 of 173 Old 08-12-2019, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked: 1473
I wonder if the OP will ever make a poll on the LCD side? Maybe a LCD Light-Bleed/Blooming/Haloing Poll. Lets ask how many owners have this issue and ask how many are having to live with it
Cam1977 and JediMindTrick like this.

LG 77C8, Sony 75x940E, LG 65B7, LG 65EF9500, LG 55E6, LG 55UB8200, 2 TCL 49S515's
2 Apple 4K TVs, 2 LG UP970's, 2 Samsung UBD-K8500s, WD 4TB NAS
Nvidia Shield, Wii U, Playstation 3
post #96 of 173 Old 08-12-2019, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked: 564
I have burn-in on my 65" E6P. The burn-in is primarily from the HUD of Destiny 2, but there is also a rectangle in the lower right part of the screen that I think is from the YouTube app, or Netflix, or Amazon Video (forget which). There's also a general muddiness, dirty screen looking area in the middle of the screen, that wasn't there before. All of these spots show up mostly when there is something red, yellow, orange, or flesh tones, displayed in that area. I'm guessing the "DSE" like area in the middle of the screen is from displaying people center framed in various shows/movies...? Just a guess.

The TV was purchased on Black Friday 2016. Way out of warranty. I contacted LG after learning that they were, indeed, replacing panels for burn-in, even if out of warranty. LG is going to replace mine as well. The replacement hasn't happened yet. It was scheduled, but the day before, I was informed that panels were on backorder... Guess LG is quite busy replacing panels ATM... It's been about a month or so since the appointment was originally scheduled. Got an email from LG that said my part was shipped on Friday or Saturday, so I expect to get a call to reschedule the replacement sometime soon.

For more context, the HUD is mostly yellow, but has areas within that can be either orange, blue, or purple, depending on what element you are using for your character. There is also a radar that tells the position of other players that uses red. So basically, all the worst colors for burn-in (red, yellow, orange... which is just red and yellow lol). I do have the HUD set to the highest setting for transparency, but it's still fairly opaque even at the highest setting, TBH.

I know that most don't have, or are unaware that they have, issues with burn-in on their OLEDs, and I will go out on a limb and say that the number of people with issues are in the minority. I am also going to go out on a limb and say that that minority represents a bigger number of people than what is considered an industry standard for "defects", otherwise, LG would not be servicing out of warranty TVs, for an issue that they never even covered in the first place... Do with that knowledge, whatever you will.

For those that feel that they have no recourse, because they are out of warranty, I urge them to contact LG, because you might be surprised at how willing they are to assist. No idea what Sony would do, but it's worth a shot there too.

Super appreciative about LG making good on this issue, but I have to think long and hard about getting another OLED, which was a virtual certainty before this happened. Awesome PQ, but I'm not going to stop gaming, or watching Netflix/Prime Video/ YouTube... or TV in general for whatever caused that weird DSE blob in the middle of the screen. Sounds like PQ of Dual LCD should be quite epic, so may go in that direction.

YMMV
DrR0Ck, imagic, GhaSper_- and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Stuntman_Mike; 08-12-2019 at 09:15 AM.
post #97 of 173 Old 08-12-2019, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillietalls View Post
I wonder if the OP will ever make a poll on the LCD side? Maybe a LCD Light-Bleed/Blooming/Haloing Poll. Lets ask how many owners have this issue and ask how many are having to live with it
Wonder no more!

Are Your LCD TV's Letterbox Bars Dark Enough?
GhaSper_- likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #98 of 173 Old 08-12-2019, 11:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Had my OLED65E6P for about 2.5 years and still a beautiful picture with no BI. Had a year warranty with it and added another, now flying without protection. Do a little gaming and try to watch no static banners or tickers. Have pixel orbiter and screensaver both on. So far looks like I'll buy another LG OLED when this one goes. Had a Panasonic plasma before this for about 6 years and never had BI on that either.
post #99 of 173 Old 08-13-2019, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I am not quite sure I understand the reasoning behind leaving out the option of "have burn-in outside of warranty; did not get it fixed" ...

I have an LG OLED B6 -- a once glorious TV -- that developed burn-in around the 27-month mark. While some of the burn-in is from a news ticker, the most prominent one came from a 25-minute YouTube video I was watching.

I called LG customer support three times, and got the same lady, each time telling me LG would not replace the panel at no cost or even a reasonable cost. The total cost of repair would be a whopping $1725 (when I purchased it for $2550 in 2017).

Really sucks, because it was a GREAT tv. But this burn-in, LG's refusal to assist me, and LG's terrible support for HDR-gamers has permanently turned me away as a customer. As inferior as they may be, QLED is the obvious option for me. For me, I don't like feeling like there is a cloud over my head, reminding me I have to be careful of what I watch and how long I watch it for, or it will ruin my TV...
Mikejl and no1special like this.

Last edited by iLLWiLL; 08-13-2019 at 07:44 AM.
post #100 of 173 Old 08-13-2019, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLWiLL View Post
I am not quite sure I understand the reasoning behind leaving out the option of "have burn-in outside of warranty; did not get it fixed" ...
I forgot to add it and can't edit the poll after the fact. No reasoning at all just human error.
iLLWiLL likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #101 of 173 Old 08-13-2019, 07:45 AM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman_Mike View Post
I have burn-in on my 65" E6P. The burn-in is primarily from the HUD of Destiny 2, but there is also a rectangle in the lower right part of the screen that I think is from the YouTube app, or Netflix, or Amazon Video (forget which). There's also a general muddiness, dirty screen looking area in the middle of the screen, that wasn't there before. All of these spots show up mostly when there is something red, yellow, orange, or flesh tones, displayed in that area. I'm guessing the "DSE" like area in the middle of the screen is from displaying people center framed in various shows/movies...? Just a guess.

The TV was purchased on Black Friday 2016. Way out of warranty. I contacted LG after learning that they were, indeed, replacing panels for burn-in, even if out of warranty. LG is going to replace mine as well. The replacement hasn't happened yet. It was scheduled, but the day before, I was informed that panels were on backorder... Guess LG is quite busy replacing panels ATM... It's been about a month or so since the appointment was originally scheduled. Got an email from LG that said my part was shipped on Friday or Saturday, so I expect to get a call to reschedule the replacement sometime soon.

For more context, the HUD is mostly yellow, but has areas within that can be either orange, blue, or purple, depending on what element you are using for your character. There is also a radar that tells the position of other players that uses red. So basically, all the worst colors for burn-in (red, yellow, orange... which is just red and yellow lol). I do have the HUD set to the highest setting for transparency, but it's still fairly opaque even at the highest setting, TBH.

I know that most don't have, or are unaware that they have, issues with burn-in on their OLEDs, and I will go out on a limb and say that the number of people with issues are in the minority. I am also going to go out on a limb and say that that minority represents a bigger number of people than what is considered an industry standard for "defects", otherwise, LG would not be servicing out of warranty TVs, for an issue that they never even covered in the first place... Do with that knowledge, whatever you will.

For those that feel that they have no recourse, because they are out of warranty, I urge them to contact LG, because you might be surprised at how willing they are to assist. No idea what Sony would do, but it's worth a shot there too.

Super appreciative about LG making good on this issue, but I have to think long and hard about getting another OLED, which was a virtual certainty before this happened. Awesome PQ, but I'm not going to stop gaming, or watching Netflix/Prime Video/ YouTube... or TV in general for whatever caused that weird DSE blob in the middle of the screen. Sounds like PQ of Dual LCD should be quite epic, so may go in that direction.

YMMV
The panel replacement on LG OLED's is a fairly painless process . . . appx a 1/2 hour process (I've replaced 4 over the last couple of years for LG Warranty repair). Process with Sony is futile, they are impossible to contact for part replacement, I have literally spent hours on research to no avail.
post #102 of 173 Old 08-13-2019, 07:54 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:

I have an LG OLED B6 -- a once glorious TV -- that developed burn-in around the 27-month mark. While some of the burn-in is from a news ticker, the most prominent one came from a 25-minute YouTube video I was watching.

I called LG customer support three times, and got the same lady, each time telling me LG would not replace the panel at no cost or even a reasonable cost. The total cost of repair would be a whopping $1725 (when I purchased it for $2550 in 2017).

Really sucks, because it was a GREAT tv. But this burn-in, LG's refusal to assist me, and LG's terrible support for HDR-gamers has permanently turned me away as a customer. As inferior as they may be, QLED is the obvious option for me. For me, I don't like feeling like there is a cloud over my head, reminding me I have to be careful of what I watch and how long I watch it for, or it will ruin my TV...
You got burn-in from a 25 min video?
post #103 of 173 Old 08-13-2019, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Curious why they wouldn't replace your panel. Did you call the concierge line, or another number?

When I tried through chat support on their site, they refused to replace mine also. I then called the concierge line, and I barely even got to explain the issue and they were already setting up the replacement. It's like this was millionth call of the day and they have the routine down, is what that experience felt like. Not complaining. Thought I was in for a fight and instead they were taking my address like 30 seconds in.

post #104 of 173 Old 08-13-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMindTrick View Post
You got burn-in from a 25 min video?
Yes. I was watching an OwnagePranks videoGranted, it had a static background, yes. So my burn-in is an image of a cartoon demon, lol. 25 minutes was long enough, though. This was only a month ago that this occurred.

I know that there are those here that will say that I am to blame...Sure. As I said I don't feel like I should have to watch TV with a cloud over my head warning me to be careful of what I watch and for how long. After this experience, OLED was just not for me.
post #105 of 173 Old 08-13-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Curious why they wouldn't replace your panel. Did you call the concierge line, or another number?

When I tried through chat support on their site, they refused to replace mine also. I then called the concierge line, and I barely even got to explain the issue and they were already setting up the replacement. It's like this was millionth call of the day and they have the routine down, is what that experience felt like. Not complaining. Thought I was in for a fight and instead they were taking my address like 30 seconds in.
I tried to setup a replacement online, but it directed to call 1-800-243-0000. Called that number three times last Monday -- each time hoping to get a different person, but instead I got the same woman (I believe she had a filipino accent?). Her english wasn't great, and at times it she couldn't understand what I was asking for, it was so frustrating that after the last call, I just hung up. But ultimately she made it clear that they could not perform the repair at no cost because the TV was out of warranty.

Is there a different phone number I should have called????????

A bit of moot point at this moment, as I already ordered an 8K QLED at a super price to replace this B6. However, I would love to get this TV repaired for free, obviously. Hell, even if it cost $500 to repair, I'd do it.

Last edited by iLLWiLL; 08-13-2019 at 09:00 AM.
post #106 of 173 Old 08-13-2019, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I tried to setup a replacement online, but it directed to call 1-800-243-0000. Called that number three times last Monday -- each time hoping to get a different person, but instead I got the same woman (I believe she had a filipino accent?). Her english wasn't great, and at times it she couldn't understand what I was asking for, it was so frustrating that after the last call, I just hung up. But ultimately she made it clear that they could not perform the repair at no cost because the TV was out of warranty.

Is there a different phone number I should have called????????

A bit of moot point at this moment, as I already ordered an 8K QLED at a super price to replace this B6. However, I would love to get this TV repaired for free, obviously. Hell, even if it cost $500 to repair, I'd do it.
I called the number at the bottom of the page, at this link:

https://www.lg.com/us/lg-signature

It is actually not 24/7 like it says, though. Think it was from 9am to 8pm Eastern, or something like that. This is where they helped me.

The conversation was literally:

me: Hi, I have a 65" E6P OLED that has developed burn-in in several areas of the screen.

rep: Yep, we can get that panel replaced for you. What's the address where you need service?

In my head, I was like, wait what...?
iLLWiLL and JediMindTrick like this.

post #107 of 173 Old 08-13-2019, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:

It is actually not 24/7 like it says, though. Think it was from 9am to 8pm Eastern, or something like that. This is where they helped me.

me: Hi, I have a 65" E6P OLED that has developed burn-in in several areas of the screen.

rep: Yep, we can get that panel replaced for you. What's the address where you need service?

I had the same experience twice. But I contacted the LG USA Twitter account.
Two contacts - two panel replacements. I was floored!
JediMindTrick likes this.
post #108 of 173 Old 08-13-2019, 09:34 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Yes. I was watching an OwnagePranks videoGranted, it had a static background, yes. So my burn-in is an image of a cartoon demon, lol. 25 minutes was long enough, though. This was only a month ago that this occurred.

I know that there are those here that will say that I am to blame...Sure. As I said I don't feel like I should have to watch TV with a cloud over my head warning me to be careful of what I watch and for how long. After this experience, OLED was just not for me.
LOLOL!

I know that feeling (the cloud over my head). I watch almost nothing with a static logo or subtitles on the set. I'd have sold it a while ago if it wasn't a 3D set (though, I should still probably get rid of it, I almost never use it [what good is a bedroom TV without subtitles?]).
post #109 of 173 Old 08-13-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:

Thank you for that. I am going to call that number today...
Stuntman_Mike likes this.
post #110 of 173 Old 08-13-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMindTrick View Post
LOLOL!

I know that feeling (the cloud over my head). I watch almost nothing with a static logo or subtitles on the set. I'd have sold it a while ago if it wasn't a 3D set (though, I should still probably get rid of it, I almost never use it [what good is a bedroom TV without subtitles?]).
LG should change there "Life is Good" slogan to "Life with Limitations" ... kidding.

Have you tried noise-cancelling, Bluetooth low-latency (aptX) headphones? I found a really good set off of Amazon, paired with an aptX receiver for cheap. Low-latency, so there is no "karate movie" lip-syncing effect. That might eliminate your need to use subtitles.

Last edited by iLLWiLL; 08-13-2019 at 10:12 AM.
post #111 of 173 Old 08-13-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:

oh my god, so I just called that number (1-800-984-6306) ... The concierge rep transfers me to the number I originally called last week, 1-800-243-0000
This time around, I got a filipino man that took my call. (Being filipino-american, I know the accent.)

However, my case is not going so smoothly, of course, as my luck would have. I need to take photos of my burn-in when I get home from work, then email it back to LG. When I asked if a repair would be performed for free, he said "if it is determined that it was a manufacturer's defect" blah blah blah... I've be down this route before...not looking good.
post #112 of 173 Old 08-13-2019, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 93
It's great to hear for those whom have had good response from LG on a quick panel replacement due to burn-in, but what concerns me is the almost as quick burn-in, once again, from the replacement panel.

I mean from the posts I've read, it's as quick as in 3 months (or so). I had posted earlier in this thread on having probable burn-in with my 65E6P panel and have not called LG yet. Mainly because the one spot that is burned in is relatively minor (don't see it that often in normal viewing) and I am concerned in getting it replaced that I will get back a panel that is worse than I have now.

Is there anyone here that's had the quick response from LG for a replacement panel (for burn-in) and the new panel has lasted them for quite awhile? Like years?
post #113 of 173 Old 08-13-2019, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
oh my god, so I just called that number (1-800-984-6306) ... The concierge rep transfers me to the number I originally called last week, 1-800-243-0000
This time around, I got a filipino man that took my call. (Being filipino-american, I know the accent.)

However, my case is not going so smoothly, of course, as my luck would have. I need to take photos of my burn-in when I get home from work, then email it back to LG. When I asked if a repair would be performed for free, he said "if it is determined that it was a manufacturer's defect" blah blah blah... I've be down this route before...not looking good.
I did have to send pictures too, so not necessarily doom and gloom. The rep I spoke with started the process for service, though. At the end of the call, she gave me the email of the engineer or engineering dept (I forget which), to send the photos to. She said that they would assess them to see if a replacement is necessary, and then I would get a call to schedule if it's needed. She then sent me a waiver about the panel replacement, for me to sign, acknowledging that the panel I am getting is not 3D, and that I understand and am ok with receiving a replacement that isn't 3D capable.

Think that was on a Friday, and I got the call to schedule on the following Monday.

Good luck, in any case!
iLLWiLL likes this.

post #114 of 173 Old 08-13-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
I did have to send pictures too, so not necessarily doom and gloom. The rep I spoke with started the process for service, though. At the end of the call, she gave me the email of the engineer or engineering dept (I forget which), to send the photos to. She said that they would assess them to see if a replacement is necessary, and then I would get a call to schedule if it's needed. She then sent me a waiver about the panel replacement, for me to sign, acknowledging that the panel I am getting is not 3D, and that I understand and am ok with receiving a replacement that isn't 3D capable.

Think that was on a Friday, and I got the call to schedule on the following Monday.

Good luck, in any case!
Thank you so much for the information! Much appreciated!
I really hope I can get my panel replaced for free. Not exactly sure what I'll do with my 8K TV that is on the way lol. It may turn out that I have to keep it, for the simple fact that I may only be able to exchange it (bought off eBay from a reputable seller, for dirt cheap). At best I'd be looking at high costs of shipping it back + restocking fee... Oh well. Very much first-world problems, I acknowledge.
post #115 of 173 Old 08-13-2019, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Forgive my ignorance: For those who have been through the process and know - what does panel replacement entail? Do they somehow replace the screen but maintain your same electronics? Or is it a complete TV replacement? Because it seems given how thin the sets are, that they are almost all screen.
post #116 of 173 Old 08-13-2019, 07:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 879 Post(s)
Liked: 904
This isn't my TV but this picture (don't remember where I got it from) shows the panel replacement procedure:

Basically it just involves exchanging all the circuit boards and some other parts from the old panel to the new one. Except the T-Con board (the part in the middle) which is panel specific, meaning the old one can't be reused.

It's actually not a difficult procedure, someone able to switch computer parts would be able to do it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C8_panel_replacement.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	555.0 KB
ID:	2602666  
markrubin and DrR0Ck like this.
post #117 of 173 Old 08-13-2019, 09:41 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Unhappy

Quote:
YMMV
I have an LG OLED55E7P bought from BestBuy two years ago (Aug 2017). At the time, I couldn't say enough good about it - I wanted the best, and paid for it - about $2500. I never used VIVID picture settings or played video games. However, I do watch CNN, with the obscenely intrusive logo and "breaking news".

Unfortunately, a few days ago, I noticed some burn-in, in the form of a horizontal band across an actor's arm. As the scene changed, there was no doubt that the problem was the screen, and not the material I was viewing. I found a YouTube video that included pure color screens. The red and yellow patterns very clearly show the CNN BREAKING NEWS banner (everything they cover is breaking - NOT) and the CNN logo in the lower right corner. Another burn in was the mute symbol, in several places on the right middle area. I ran the "refresh" twice - didn't help; running a YouTube burn in repair program also did nothing discernible.

There is no doubt that the OLED TVs are the best ones, in terms of picture quality, but to have irreversible burn-in after a mere two years (just over 10,000 hrs of use) can't be considered acceptable. That display replacement alone is almost as much as getting a new TV!! Am I to expect that $2500 OLED HDTV has to be replaced every two years???

I know that the user manual does warn about burn-in, but I don't think that should get LG off the hook. Sure, everyone knows how burn-in can occur, but LG doesn't say anything about --how much-- viewing of channels with logos and banners is too much for their sets. It makes me think that their implementation of OLED is not ready for prime time - anyone who buys a TV to watch TV programming has the right to expect the set to function normally, without damage, when viewing TV programming - that is not abuse of the TV. Any HDTV set is expected to function normally, when used for the intended purpose. I didn't see anything in their advertisements that the set can be damaged by viewing some channels (like news networks). Only after reading the manual, after buying the TV, do you see a warning of any kind, ambiguous as it is.

Like you, I called LG about the problem, telling them I was out of warranty. The agent took down all my info to open a case. I'm hoping that they will give me a no-cost OLED panel replacement...we'll see how that goes...fingers crossed.

I see discussion about how few people (%) are experiencing this problem. I suggest that this number would be MUCH higher if everybody displayed a few pure color panels on their OLEDs. Maybe LG could include these test screens???

Even if LG does give me a free replacement, what's to say I won't be right back at this spot in two years??? If I had known how easily this problem occurs, I would have skipped OLED, and just bought the best LED. This TV replaced a 40" Sony 720p LED HDTV, that lasted over 10 years, and was still going strong, with NO burn in, watching the same programming mix!!
no1special likes this.
post #118 of 173 Old 08-13-2019, 10:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked: 868
So is this an LG issue? I know Sony uses the same panel, but majority of complaints come from LG users.
post #119 of 173 Old 08-14-2019, 05:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Liked: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbz06 View Post
So is this an LG issue? I know Sony uses the same panel, but majority of complaints come from LG users.

Mostly yes. I think it’s more of a numbers thing than anything else, but likely a less aggressive ABL has something to do with it as well.

Samsung 82” Q90R * LG 55” C8 * Denon X4500H * 5.2.4 Atmos * Xbox One X * PS4 Pro
post #120 of 173 Old 08-14-2019, 05:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1402 Post(s)
Liked: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by hziemba View Post
I have an LG OLED55E7P bought from BestBuy two years ago (Aug 2017). At the time, I couldn't say enough good about it - I wanted the best, and paid for it - about $2500. I never used VIVID picture settings or played video games. However, I do watch CNN, with the obscenely intrusive logo and "breaking news".
The specific issue with CNN and OLEDs has been known for years. Rtings uses CNN for their Real Life OLED burn-in test. Are you saying you were unaware of this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General