Poll: OLED Burn-In & Warranty Service - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: Have experienced OLED burn-in and if yes, did you get warranty service
I have not experienced burn-in with my OLED 145 82.86%
I got free-of-charge service for burn-in while under factory warranty 5 2.86%
I got free-of-charge service for burn-in & my TV was out of warranty 5 2.86%
I requested service for my in-warranty OLED with burn-in but it is unconfirmed or on-hold 1 0.57%
My factory warrantied OLED has burn-in but I have not requested service 4 2.29%
I got free-of-charge service for burn-in using Geek Squad extended warranty 7 4.00%
I got free-of-charge service for burn-in using SquareTrade extended warranty 1 0.57%
I got free-of-charge service for burn-in using my credit card's extended warranty 0 0%
I have an extended warranty and my OLED has burn-in but I have not requested service 7 4.00%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 125Likes

post #121 of 173 Old 08-14-2019, 07:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I remember burn in from the CRT days (think about ATM displays). I did know that OLED panels can burn in, but I wasn’t aware of how sensitive the LG panels are. I thought I’d be OK as long as I mixed up the content, and did not use vivid display mode, or crank up brightness and contrast to the max. Yet I still got burn in.

I guess that LG expects me to not watch CNN or any other news channel with logos, tickers, or banners. What am I to do, buy one TV that has lower pix quality, but better burn in resistance, and an OLED for the other material? Don’t think LG marketing would ever say that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 173 Old 08-14-2019, 07:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAC View Post
Mostly yes. I think it’s more of a numbers thing than anything else, but likely a less aggressive ABL has something to do with it as well.
The other thing I'm picking up is that CNN, for example, doesn't have to be on for many hours per day...but repeated use every day, even with much shorter duration, can also cause burn-in. Same thing with video games with HUD?

Reason I ask is because I just got an A9G for my main TV. I'm likely not as much of a regular user than the average person. I do watch maybe like 1 hour per day during the week with the wife (Netflix shows), and on the weekends I'll play about 1-2 hours on Sat/Sun morning of PS4 video games. Other than that, whenever we watch a movie on disc.

I don't feel like I do anything that can cause burn-in, but I guess the shorter repeated usage is a little concerning.

p.s.- I do have the Best Buy protection 5-yr plan that specifically covers burn in, so I'm not TOO worried other than risking inconvenience/hassle and panel lottery. My current panel is almost flawless with DSE/banding etc.

Sony XBR-77A9G / Panasonic DP-UB9000 / Marantz SR7011 / Def Tech 9060 Series
post #123 of 173 Old 08-14-2019, 09:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 746 Post(s)
Liked: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk82 View Post
This isn't my TV but this picture (don't remember where I got it from) shows the panel replacement procedure:

Basically it just involves exchanging all the circuit boards and some other parts from the old panel to the new one. Except the T-Con board (the part in the middle) which is panel specific, meaning the old one can't be reused.

It's actually not a difficult procedure, someone able to switch computer parts would be able to do it.
Repair guy just left, and the procedure was exactly like these pics. Took 10mins. Helped him lay the TV down on a blanket on the floor. He removed the back plate on my E6 and exposed the boards. Took the boards off and laid them on the blanket. Moved the old panel and leaned it against the wall. Helped him take the new screen out of the box and packaging and laid that on the blanket. There was an insulation type of sticker that goes underneath the board on the left (when looking at the back of the TV) that he peeled off the old panel and placed in the same spot on the new one. Said sometimes it's already on and sometimes it isn't. Screwed the board back on and the back plate. Peeled off the normal plastic film from the back. Put it the TV back in place. Peeled the film off the screen. Turned TV on to test. Signed a form and he was out.

Since the electronics are the same, all the settings were still intact. Had to reset the picture settings because my calibrated settings don't match the screen. The panel info still says that I'm at 11,900 hours also, so I'll have to basically minus 12k hrs going forward.

Screen uniformity is better. I had very minimal vignetting on the old panel, and see none on this one. I also had a light yellow screen band on the left of the screen on the old. Don't see any yellowing now, but I'll look closer later. Ran some gray screens and see literally no bands. I'll do it again at night, but it's definitely better than the old panel, and most likely a non issue.

Side note, the repair guy said that he is doing 3-4 replacements every day for this issue. Said that process has changed and become much easier. Used to be that they would have to make a couple trips to diagnose before LG would authorize, and then they needed to order the part after they agreed to replace. Now they just send them out immediately to replace and order parts from the get go, if they don't have them in stock, in the first place. He said he's not sure why they are doing this, because the panel's are basically the cost of a new TV. Doesn't see how this is sustainable.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
DrR0Ck and no1special like this.

Last edited by Stuntman_Mike; 08-14-2019 at 09:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 173 Old 08-14-2019, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman_Mike View Post
Repair guy just left, and the procedure was exactly like these pics. Took 10mins. Helped him lay the TV down on a blanket on the floor. He removed the back plate on my E6 and exposed the boards. Took the boards off and laid them on the blanket. Moved the old panel and leaned it against the wall. Helped him take the new screen out of the box and packaging and laid that on the blanket. There was an insulation type of sticker that goes underneath the board on the left (when looking at the back of the TV) that he peeled off the old panel and placed in the same spot on the new one. Said sometimes it's already on and sometimes it isn't. Screwed the board back on and the back plate. Peeled off the normal plastic film from the back. Put it the TV back in place. Peeled the film off the screen. Turned TV on to test. Signed a form and he was out.

Since the electronics are the same, all the settings were still intact. Had to reset the picture settings because my calibrated settings don't match the screen. The panel info still says that I'm at 11,900 hours also, so I'll have to basically minus 12k hrs going forward.

Screen uniformity is better. I had very minimal vignetting on the old panel, and see none on this one. I also had a light yellow screen band on the left of the screen on the old. Don't see any yellowing now, but I'll look closer later. Ran some gray screens and see literally no bands. I'll do it again at night, but it's definitely better than the old panel, and most likely a non issue.

Side note, the repair guy said that he is doing 3-4 replacements every day for this issue. Said that process has changed and become much easier. Used to be that they would have to make a couple trips to diagnose before LG would authorize, and then they needed to order the part after they agreed to replace. Now they just send them out immediately to replace and order parts from the get go, if they don't have them in stock, in the first place. He said he's not sure why they are doing this, because the panel's are basically the cost of a new TV. Doesn't see how this is sustainable.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Glad everything is looking better on your TV! It appears you were having some other issues besides the burn-in, so a good replacement.

My question to you, how bad was your burn-in? Meaning, was it in more than one location, how noticeable was it?

With my own, I have a small circle approximately 1 ½” in diameter towards the top of the screen (about 2 inches from top) on right half of TV. It doesn’t become visible all the time during normal viewing, only with red/light brown backgrounds.

So because of that, I am hesitant on getting a replacement panel, especially in reading some of these other experiences in burn-in coming back after a few months (hopefully that will not be the case for you). And I wouldn’t be sure how ‘bad’ it would come back, either. Right now, it’s what I consider, relatively minor for burn-in.

What are your thoughts, and everyone else’s?
post #125 of 173 Old 08-14-2019, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbun View Post
Glad everything is looking better on your TV! It appears you were having some other issues besides the burn-in, so a good replacement.

My question to you, how bad was your burn-in? Meaning, was it in more than one location, how noticeable was it?

With my own, I have a small circle approximately 1 ½” in diameter towards the top of the screen (about 2 inches from top) on right half of TV. It doesn’t become visible all the time during normal viewing, only with red/light brown backgrounds.

So because of that, I am hesitant on getting a replacement panel, especially in reading some of these other experiences in burn-in coming back after a few months (hopefully that will not be the case for you). And I wouldn’t be sure how ‘bad’ it would come back, either. Right now, it’s what I consider, relatively minor for burn-in.

What are your thoughts, and everyone else’s?
I think that everyone that has BI will only see it under certain conditions. Whatever the color of the static image is that caused the differential aging, you will only see that ghost image when there is content that is that color, or uses that color, to a certain extent.

For me, I could clearly see the ghost image of the Destiny HUD and the YouTube app rectangle (confirmed that it's YouTube) whenever there was something Red, Yellow, Orange, flesh tones, or to a much much lesser extent, Purple, Green, or Blue, displayed in those areas. I could make it out faintly on white screens as well. The HUD is in the bottom left corner for the most part, but I could see the diamond outline in the top left also. The YouTube rectangle is in the bottom right corner. Were they always visible? No, but it was annoying any time they were.

I would say get it replaced if you can. The newer panels should be more resistant, and probably have less uniformity issues. From what I've read, the 2017s were a step backwards on banding, and are pretty bad compared to the 2018s, 19s, and even the 2016s, so you will probably make out in that regard. As far as it being possible to happen again? Yeah, it's always going to be a possibility. Dare I say a probability if you own it long enough. Hopefully with the new measures, it doesn't show up until after you aren't even using it as your main anymore, down the road.

Now the free replacement is a one time deal. You're on your own after that, so if you don't want to use your get out of jail free card now, I get that. But you also don't know how long they will keep issuing those cards either...

I had always planned on getting a new TV of at least 75" and retiring this set to the office and donating my plasma, so I only need this one to last another year or so, so my case may be different than most.

BTW, there is faint yellow stain in the same left side of the screen. Less yellow than my old panel, but there -_- I'm good on near black banding and vignetting, though.

Last edited by Stuntman_Mike; 08-14-2019 at 10:53 AM.
post #126 of 173 Old 08-14-2019, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
How long is the turn-around process for everyone, from opening a case #, to getting approved for replacement, to getting scheduled? (Stuntman, I know you said yours basically was 2 days.)

I have a bit of a time-sensitive situation. I opened my case with LG yesterday, and submitted/uploaded my photos & receipts.
My new Samsung 8K TV arrives in two days -- then I have 2 business days to decide to keep it or not. If I decide to return (because my OLED can be repaired), it will be at a loss of ~$500+, which I can be okay with. But I am hoping I will hear back from LG regarding a new panel before the weekend...
post #127 of 173 Old 08-14-2019, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
I think that everyone that has BI will only see it under certain conditions. Whatever the color of the static image is that caused the differential aging, you will only see that ghost image when there is content that is that color, or uses that color, to a certain extent.

For me, I could clearly see the ghost image of the Destiny HUD and the YouTube app rectangle (confirmed that it's YouTube) whenever there was something Red, Yellow, Orange, flesh tones, or to a much much lesser extent, Purple, Green, or Blue, displayed in those areas. I could make it out faintly on white screens as well. The HUD is in the bottom left corner for the most part, but I could see the diamond outline in the top left also. The YouTube rectangle is in the bottom right corner. Were they always visible? No, but it was annoying any time they were.

I would say get it replaced if you can. The newer panels should be more resistant, and probably have less uniformity issues. From what I've read, the 2017s were a step backwards on banding, and are pretty bad compared to the 2018s, 19s, and even the 2016s, so you will probably make out in that regard. As far as it being possible to happen again? Yeah, it's always going to be a possibility. Dare I say a probability if you own it long enough. Hopefully with the new measures, it doesn't show up until after you aren't even using it as your main anymore, down the road.

Now the free replacement is a one time deal. You're on your own after that, so if you don't want to use your get out of jail free card now, I get that. But you also don't know how long they will keep issuing those cards either...

I had always planned on getting a new TV of at least 75" and retiring this set to the office and donating my plasma, so I only need this one to last another year or so, so my case may be different than most.

BTW, there is faint yellow stain in the same left side of the screen. Less yellow than my old panel, but there -_- I'm good on near black banding and vignetting, though.
Thanks for your comments/suggestions.

So they do replace it with the newer panels, then? I honestly wasn't sure if they still replaced with exact panels of your model years, but it's good you are getting newer (improved?) panels. My TV is from 2016.

What I want to do is hold out with this TV until I can make another big upgrade. I planned to have this for awhile, at least another 4-5 years. What I was hoping was to wait until the MicroLED came around, and be readily available (and affordable). But am I asking too much to have this TV until then?

So you receive yellowing, as well? That is strange, haven't heard of that for the OLEDs. That sounds like the yellow/green blobs you can get with the old Sony SXRDs (which is what I had before my OLED).

Really am torn, especially with the replacement being a one-time use.
post #128 of 173 Old 08-14-2019, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbun View Post
Thanks for your comments/suggestions.

So they do replace it with the newer panels, then? I honestly wasn't sure if they still replaced with exact panels of your model years, but it's good you are getting newer (improved?) panels. My TV is from 2016.

What I want to do is hold out with this TV until I can make another big upgrade. I planned to have this for awhile, at least another 4-5 years. What I was hoping was to wait until the MicroLED came around, and be readily available (and affordable). But am I asking too much to have this TV until then?

So you receive yellowing, as well? That is strange, haven't heard of that for the OLEDs. That sounds like the yellow/green blobs you can get with the old Sony SXRDs (which is what I had before my OLED).

Really am torn, especially with the replacement being a one-time use.
Yellow staining, or piss stain as people "lovingly" refer to it, is very common on OLED. I'd be surprised if you put a white screen and didn't have some area of the screen that had a slight yellow tint. It's usually a band of yellow that runs from top of the screen to the bottom. Can be on the left, right, or even in the middle. It was never that noticeable on my last panel, and even less so on this one. Only see it when I have a full field white screen, really.

To answer your other questions. They don't have 2016 panels anymore, so they couldn't replace them with that, if they wanted to. I'm guessing their panels are modularly the same, so an E6 may not look exactly like an E7, E8, or E9, but the holes are in the same places, so they can still fit them to the older boards and back plates. Ditto for a B, or C model. No idea what they do with C6's which have curved screens...

I think MicroLED is a long, long way off from being an affordable consumer thing. I doubt that your replacement would last until they are affordable if you keep the same viewing habits, but that's a guess.

post #129 of 173 Old 08-14-2019, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 269 Post(s)
Quoted: 3751 Post(s)
Liked: 4573
Sometimes I wonder if these screen replacements is the reason why OLED TVs still holding their high prices. LG is literally replacing OLED screens without questions asked due to burn in so looks to me that when they do their cost analysis they add the cost of a screen replacement to every TV set. If the customer needed it, then its already contemplated in their cost, if not needed it, then it's a win for LG.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | Display-less |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
post #130 of 173 Old 08-14-2019, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I noticed when Simpsons is on, the characters are yellow but in middle of my 2017 C6 the color is green. I haven't noticed any other discoloration even with youtube color tests. I probably have burn-in but people are saying replacements don't have 3D which is the main reason I got this tv since it was the last year they made 3D tv's. Looks like I might have to live with green Simpson characters in order to keep watching my 3D library.

LG OLED65C6P - OPPO UDP-203 - Pioneer SC-1522K - Emotiva XPA-3 - Polk RTI12 & CSiA6 - SVS PB12-NSD - TiVo ota Roamio
post #131 of 173 Old 08-14-2019, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Have owned my LG65B6 since November 2016 and if there is some burn in on this set, I've never noticed it with content playing. My point to everyone reading is this. If a "fear" of something minor that may happen keeps you away from buying the best TV picture quality ever in OLED, then the jokes on you, not on those of us who own these sets.

This is my main set and I watch everything including tons of sports such as college football, Premier League, La Liga, MLB, whatever. Tons of movies and Dolby Vision content as well, the set is literally perfect.

LED LCD sets have improved, and nothing beats the value of a good Visio P series, but it ain't OLED, period.

LG 65B6 OLED 4K HDR| Pioneer ELITE VSX-52 | Samsung K8500 4K Blu Ray | Polk Audio RTi and CS2 5.1 | Video cables by Monoprice! Audio cables by Audioquest
PS4 Pro| Apple TV | Sonos | Amazon Echo
post #132 of 173 Old 08-14-2019, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbz06 View Post
The other thing I'm picking up is that CNN, for example, doesn't have to be on for many hours per day...but repeated use every day, even with much shorter duration, can also cause burn-in.
Now that really scares me! Even if LG gives one free replacement of the screen, it's just buying you some time until the new screen gets burn-in too.

One potential solution I've thought of is to change one of the existing modes that I don't use - like VIVID - and crank down brightness, contrast, and color to the point that I get a very low contrast, very low color saturation, picture (like a low contrast B&W with a tinge of color added), and use that picture mode whenever viewing CNN. It would be nice if LG could add a function that assigns a specific picture mode to a specific channel.

Personally, I'd like to just delete CNN from my channel lineup, but I'm not the only one in the house who views the TV. I can't imagine that CNN doesn't know the consequences of their bold colored static logos and banners. Shame on them!!!
post #133 of 173 Old 08-14-2019, 10:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
i think the picture is from this video..
post #134 of 173 Old 08-15-2019, 05:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMABLUHD View Post
Have owned my LG65B6 since November 2016 and if there is some burn in on this set, I've never noticed it with content playing. My point to everyone reading is this. If a "fear" of something minor that may happen keeps you away from buying the best TV picture quality ever in OLED, then the jokes on you, not on those of us who own these sets.

This is my main set and I watch everything including tons of sports such as college football, Premier League, La Liga, MLB, whatever. Tons of movies and Dolby Vision content as well, the set is literally perfect.

LED LCD sets have improved, and nothing beats the value of a good Visio P series, but it ain't OLED, period.
Definitely wouldn't call BI minor lol. If you ever get it to the point where it's noticeable in content, it's quite annoying.
iLLWiLL likes this.

post #135 of 173 Old 08-15-2019, 05:50 AM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidergames View Post
i think the picture is from this video..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNvVf83BXeM
Not to be argumentative, but that picture isn't from the video you posted. The picture shows some kind of a tarp under the panel.
Spidergames likes this.
post #136 of 173 Old 08-15-2019, 05:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hziemba View Post
Now that really scares me! Even if LG gives one free replacement of the screen, it's just buying you some time until the new screen gets burn-in too.

One potential solution I've thought of is to change one of the existing modes that I don't use - like VIVID - and crank down brightness, contrast, and color to the point that I get a very low contrast, very low color saturation, picture (like a low contrast B&W with a tinge of color added), and use that picture mode whenever viewing CNN. It would be nice if LG could add a function that assigns a specific picture mode to a specific channel.

Personally, I'd like to just delete CNN from my channel lineup, but I'm not the only one in the house who views the TV. I can't imagine that CNN doesn't know the consequences of their bold colored static logos and banners. Shame on them!!!
I don't think CNN really thinks about the impact their logo has on a particular type of TV. They just want their name on your mind as much as possible, and their logo color just happens to be red.

There's plenty of blame to go around, though. LG's own YouTube app caused some of the BI on my set. There is a menu that displays with a yellow rectangle in the lower right corner. It comes up when you aren't watching a vid and are just on the home screen, or if you pause, FFWD, or rewind a video. I launch the YouTube app from my phone and have the vid cued up right away. There is rarely a time where I am on the home screen or actually pause, FFWD, or rewind a vid. That menu is rarely displayed, and if it is, it's displayed for an extremely short amount of time, yet it was burned in just as prominently as the Destiny 2 HUD, if not more so TBH, in which the D2 HUD is onscreen for the majority of the time I play.

This proves to me, that it doesn't matter if you switch content or not. The cumulative add up of a static image being displayed, even if you have it up for a very short time, will eventually cause burn in as well.

post #137 of 173 Old 08-15-2019, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post
Unfortunately, polls like this are totally inaccurate. Most people without problems don't participate or respond, making any estimated % falsely high! All you're left with are anecdotal stories, with no accurate denominator. There is no way that true, permanent BI is 15%.
Also keep in mind people with 2018 and 2019 models might be responding to the poll. Those sets would not have enough hours, in general, to get BI. Hours on set is missing from poll. That would skew the poll in such a way as to add confidence to those who might be inclined to think it won't happen to them. Add that olight and color levels are not shared either. We know lower settings = less uneven wearing, especially important if stationary pieces of imagery are present. CNN for an example.

It may also be important to note that LG began warning and advising of BI in the 2018/19/forward owners manuals. So while LG is replacing BI screens in 2015/16/17 models...LG might not replace BI screens on 2018/19/forward models. So owners of later models might want to take precautions to avoid BI.

Finally I'll add that owners of 3D models...rare birds (best 3D tv's ever made)...are going to loose 3D when screens are replaced. Owners of the 2016 "C" (curved screen) models are totally out of luck, unless LG is willing to replace the entire tv.

So owners of rare (and valuable) 3D Oleds who love 3D might want to take extra careful precautions...or sell them if 3D is not important to them. They generally sell for enough to replace them with brand new 2019 models.
Stuntman_Mike and no1special like this.

Voted most desirable mate by the ladies every year! Klan leader! Mob boss! Love advice expert! Credit cards accepted.

Last edited by Kenbar; 08-15-2019 at 08:04 AM.
post #138 of 173 Old 08-15-2019, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 430 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9066 Post(s)
Liked: 15977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbar View Post
Also keep in mind people with 2018 and 2019 models might be responding to the poll. Those sets would not have enough hours, in general, to get BI. Hours on set is missing. That would skew the poll in such a way as to add confidence to those who might be inclined to think it won't happen to them. Add that olight and color levels are not shared either. We know lower settings = less uneven wearing, especially important if stationary pieces of imagery are present. CNN for an example.

It may also be important to note that LG began warning and advising of BI in the 2018/19/forward owners manuals. So while LG is replacing BI screens in 2015/16/17 models...LG might not replace BI screens on 2018/19/forward models. So owners of later models might want to take precautions to avoid BI.

Finally I'll add that owners of 3D models...rare birds (best 3D tv's ever made)...are going to loose 3D when screens are replaced. Owners of the 2016 "C" (curved screen) models are totally out of luck, unless LG is willing to replace the entire tv.

So owners of rare (and valuable) 3D Oleds who love 3D might want to take extra careful precautions...or sell them if 3D is not important to them. They generally sell for enough to replace them with brand new 2019 models.
Basically the folks saying the poll is inaccurate have a good premise, but have no proof as to which direction that inaccuracy goes. I don't think it's possible to ascertain what the actual number is. Unless someone posts some sort of proof of what the actual burn in rate is, it's just guesswork.

Theoretically, it's statistically possible (although highly improbable) that the poll is actually accurate... however there's simply no way to know because it's not a scientific poll. Anything beyond that is speculation.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 08-15-2019 at 08:28 AM.
post #139 of 173 Old 08-15-2019, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Basically the folks saying the poll is inaccurate have a good premise, but have no proof as to which direction that inaccuracy goes. I don't think it's possible to ascertain what the actual number is. Unless someone posts some sort of proof of what the actual burning rate is, it's just guesswork.

Theoretically, it's statistically possible (although highly improbable) that the poll is actually accurate... however there's simply no way to know because it's not a scientific poll. Anything beyond that is speculation.
Exactly. And as far as what to expect from LG warranty wise, owners of 2018 and later models should not expect that because LG is replacing 2017/older out of warranty screens with BI for free...that they should expect that too. LG began putting clear warnings and advice to avoid BI in the owners manuals starting in 2018. Covering their legal butt.

Voted most desirable mate by the ladies every year! Klan leader! Mob boss! Love advice expert! Credit cards accepted.
post #140 of 173 Old 08-15-2019, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry4 View Post
We watched our OLED65E6P for only a few months before experiencing significant burn-in. The burnt-in image corresponds to the area where captions are displayed. My wife and I both hear poorly.

I was aware of OLED burn-in, and I was very careful. I turned on the television's Screen Shift feature on the very first day. I also ran the screen-cleanup program regularly. I had no idea that captions, changing constantly as they do, could cause burn-in.

I called LG about this, and they basically said tough-luck. After additional calls they finally authorized a technician's visit. After receiving his report, LG still refused to replace the panel. The owner of the repair shop told me it's possible a certain kind of image can burn in on this type of television in as little as thirty seconds.

Treat your OLED very, very kindly, and you might still end up with a stripe across the bottom of your screen. This was a huge disappointment.

I went so far as to ask a lawyer about a class action suit or a case based on the implied covenant of marketability. No luck. I'm new to this forum... have there actually been any class action suits?
You might want to try LG service again. As of late they have been more open to BI screen replacements. You will lose 3D of course.
DrR0Ck likes this.

post #141 of 173 Old 08-15-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
You might want to try LG service again. As of late they have been more open to BI screen replacements. You will lose 3D of course.
You can say that again. "As of late", as in, as recent as, the past week I called 10 days ago, got this one lady who told me "No, your TV is not under warranty, we cannot replace the panel for free." I even tried my luck by calling later that day, and by the luck of the draw, I got the same idiot lady... At that point I gave up and decided to order another TV (non-OLED) online... I came to avsforum this week, and got the advice from Stuntman to call again, and this time, I got a different LG rep, a male, who got the process started for me to get a replacement. Which is GREAT, but now I will have a new TV that is way too expensive to ship back that I would NOT have had to buy if I simply got an LG rep in the first place that knew wtf they were talking about. Now, I hopefully can find a buyer of my OLED...
post #142 of 173 Old 08-15-2019, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLWiLL View Post
You can say that again. "As of late", as in, as recent as, the past week I called 10 days ago, got this one lady who told me "No, your TV is not under warranty, we cannot replace the panel for free." I even tried my luck by calling later that day, and by the luck of the draw, I got the same idiot lady... At that point I gave up and decided to order another TV (non-OLED) online... I came to avsforum this week, and got the advice from Stuntman to call again, and this time, I got a different LG rep, a male, who got the process started for me to get a replacement. Which is GREAT, but now I will have a new TV that is way too expensive to ship back that I would NOT have had to buy if I simply got an LG rep in the first place that knew wtf they were talking about. Now, I hopefully can find a buyer of my OLED...
I will try again. Unfortunately, like iLLWiLL, I've already bought a new set (QLED). But I gave the OLED in question to my neighbor to use in his bedroom, and I'm sure he would appreciate a new panel. Thanks, everyone.
post #143 of 173 Old 08-15-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry4 View Post
I will try again. Unfortunately, like iLLWiLL, I've already bought a new set (QLED). But I gave the OLED in question to my neighbor to use in his bedroom, and I'm sure he would appreciate a new panel. Thanks, everyone.
I am glad to find out that, ultimately, LG is replacing panels free of charge. Nevertheless, this entire experience has been enough to turn me away from both LG, and OLED's. Watching TV is supposed to be as simple as turn on, sit down, kick back, open up a beer, enjoy. Shouldn't have to worry about if what I am viewing could do damage to my costly investment. Nor should I have to go through the hassle of going into menu settings to change things every single time I watch something with static content (which is pretty much 100% of all news & sports channels.), or if I put something on pause, and need to step away for a few minutes. Nope. I am going with QLED this generation -- as inferior as it is to OLED -- until MicroLED actually becomes a legit, feasible option...

Last edited by iLLWiLL; 08-15-2019 at 12:39 PM.
post #144 of 173 Old 08-15-2019, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 683 Post(s)
Liked: 588
Quote:
Also keep in mind people with 2018 and 2019 models might be responding to the poll. Those sets would not have enough hours, in general, to get BI. Hours on set is missing from poll. That would skew the poll in such a way as to add confidence to those who might be inclined to think it won't happen to them.
Exactly. I suspect that the majority of voters here have a 2018/19 panel and simply don’t have enough hours on the panel to have developed burn in yet. If you understand how this organic tech works and how the pixels age and degrade over time, I don’t believe that it’s a matter of if, it’s more a matter of when will the panel develop burn in.

I wonder how the OLED supporters will react when they notice their first signs of burn in developing. I’m an OLED owner, but I’m not naive enough to believe that it won’t happen to me. What I do have going for me is the fact that my OLED is my secondary tv and sees limited use in the range of ~ 5-10 hours per week. If I can get 8-10 years out of it at this rate I’ll be happy.

Samsung 82” Q90R * LG 55” C8 * Denon X4500H * 5.2.4 Atmos * Xbox One X * PS4 Pro

Last edited by rboster; 08-15-2019 at 05:56 PM.
post #145 of 173 Old 08-15-2019, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 65
BI talk also needs to be divided into categories, 2016 and earlier oled owners, and 2017 and later owners. Because in 2017 LG started using memory compensation that improved BI resistance big time and 2018 and 2019 models added some subpixel size changes (making the red subpixel bigger) which further improved things. 2016 and earlier oleds are most suspectible. If you buy a current oled 2018 or 2019 model, you have nothing to worry about, unless you have weird habits of watching the same channel everyday without varying the content in between at all, as in the same channel runs in loops 12 hours daily and nothing else gets watched.
DrR0Ck likes this.

Last edited by Gerry1975; 08-15-2019 at 04:33 PM.
post #146 of 173 Old 08-15-2019, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3823 Post(s)
Liked: 3726
Quote:
Exactly. I suspect that the majority of voters here have a 2018/19 panel and simply don’t have enough hours on the panel to have developed burn in yet. If you understand how this organic tech works and how the pixels age and degrade over time, I don’t believe that it’s a matter of if, it’s more a matter of when will the panel develop burn in.

I wonder how all these crazy defensive die hard OLED supporters will react when they notice their first signs of burn in developing. I’m an OLED owner, but I’m not naive enough to believe that it won’t happen to me. What I do have going for me is the fact that my OLED is my secondary tv and sees limited use in the range of ~ 5-10 hours per week. If I can get 8-10 years out of it at this rate I’ll be happy.

No need to insult people

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pbz06 and Cam1977 like this.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2
post #147 of 173 Old 08-15-2019, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2993 Post(s)
Liked: 3646
Quote:

I wonder how all these crazy defensive die hard OLED supporters will react when they notice their first signs of burn in developing. I’m an OLED owner, but I’m not naive enough to believe that it won’t happen to me. What I do have going for me is the fact that my OLED is my secondary tv and sees limited use in the range of ~ 5-10 hours per week. If I can get 8-10 years out of it at this rate I’ll be happy.
My son still uses my old 2016 E6, games most of the time...no BI. Still plenty of owners of even earlier oleds with no BI,instead of generalizing all us crazy defensive die hard supporters get all your facts straight, and remember you get quite defensive your self with that q90...just sayin.
Latinoheat, smurraybhm and chunon like this.

Last edited by Cam1977; 08-15-2019 at 06:04 PM.
post #148 of 173 Old 08-15-2019, 06:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
My son still uses my old 2016 E6, games most of the time...no BI. Still plenty of owners of even earlier oleds with no BI,instead of generalizing all us crazy defensive die hard supporters get all your facts straight, and remember you get quite defensive your self with that q90...just sayin.
what are your tips for not getting BI?
post #149 of 173 Old 08-15-2019, 06:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2993 Post(s)
Liked: 3646
^watch your tv and it enjoy it, thats exactly what I do, no more no less.
post #150 of 173 Old 08-15-2019, 10:10 PM

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:

I wonder how the OLED supporters will react when they notice their first signs of burn in developing. I’m an OLED owner, but I’m not naive enough to believe that it won’t happen to me. What I do have going for me is the fact that my OLED is my secondary tv and sees limited use in the range of ~ 5-10 hours per week. If I can get 8-10 years out of it at this rate I’ll be happy.
Can you give the date my oled would start develop 'burn in' so I can jot it down? Seeing how your understanding of organic tech is exemplary and better than other people, you might know 2018 or 2019 oleds are not in the same field as a 2016 or 2015 model when it comes to resistance because the newer models have the memory based compensation that make a big difference, permanent BI is a non issue on 2018/2019 models because the threshold of cumulative hours you need to display some content before differential aging starts becoming an issue is way high now , on my 2019 model used as my main TV, and based on what I watch, it would be 10-11 years before differential aging becomes any sort of factor. And the most I have kept TV's before upgrading is 5-6 years, certainly in 2025 I plan to move to a 8K TV. It will be a non issue for most owners.
I checked your post history as you said you use oled as your secondary display. For all the alarm bells raising you are doing on oleds , all you do is run a 480 zones LCD TV as your primary display, colour me unimpressed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page