Poll: OLED Burn-In & Warranty Service - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: Have experienced OLED burn-in and if yes, did you get warranty service
I have not experienced burn-in with my OLED 145 82.86%
I got free-of-charge service for burn-in while under factory warranty 5 2.86%
I got free-of-charge service for burn-in & my TV was out of warranty 5 2.86%
I requested service for my in-warranty OLED with burn-in but it is unconfirmed or on-hold 1 0.57%
My factory warrantied OLED has burn-in but I have not requested service 4 2.29%
I got free-of-charge service for burn-in using Geek Squad extended warranty 7 4.00%
I got free-of-charge service for burn-in using SquareTrade extended warranty 1 0.57%
I got free-of-charge service for burn-in using my credit card's extended warranty 0 0%
I have an extended warranty and my OLED has burn-in but I have not requested service 7 4.00%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 125Likes

post #151 of 173 Old 08-15-2019, 10:28 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by iLLWiLL View Post
I am glad to find out that, ultimately, LG is replacing panels free of charge. Nevertheless, this entire experience has been enough to turn me away from both LG, and OLED's. Watching TV is supposed to be as simple as turn on, sit down, kick back, open up a beer, enjoy. Shouldn't have to worry about if what I am viewing could do damage to my costly investment. Nor should I have to go through the hassle of going into menu settings to change things every single time I watch something with static content (which is pretty much 100% of all news & sports channels.), or if I put something on pause, and need to step away for a few minutes. Nope. I am going with QLED this generation -- as inferior as it is to OLED -- until MicroLED actually becomes a legit, feasible option...
The acronym they use sure doesn't make it sound like inferior, it makes it sound like it's on an equal footing with oled and a rival technology to oled. And the clever marketing certainly rubs off on many of the non videophile guys because you ask them if you bought another lcd, they'll tell you they did not go for LCD this time ,instead they bought a QLED.

And the acronym advertised on a dark looking background like black , hides the \ in Q and it reads just like OLED. If not anything else, you can give some points to their marketing division for clever marketing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 173 Old 08-15-2019, 10:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
^watch your tv and it enjoy it, thats exactly what I do, no more no less.
i would like to know, in the very beginning of owning the OLED how often were u watching things with logos and were u watching any cable news? did you use the zoom in? did you turn it off every night? and what was your settings?
post #153 of 173 Old 08-15-2019, 10:47 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Don't be scared using an oled, no zoom in to hide logos and ruin the image quality. Use it normally, only when operating in SDR, don't unnecessarily have the brightness too high, or oled light or luminance as some oleds call it. In hdr, it is fine operating that at maximim , you need to do that in hdr for the TV to hit its peaks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 173 Old 08-15-2019, 11:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry1975 View Post
Don't be scared using an oled, no zoom in to hide logos and ruin the image quality. Use it normally, only when operating in SDR, don't unnecessarily have the brightness too high, or oled light or luminance as some oleds call it. In hdr, it is fine operating that at maximim , you need to do that in hdr for the TV to hit its peaks.
oh I'm going to use zoom on logos and for the news for almost 2 years lol, better safe than sorry, once I feel the set has age some with no burn in, then i will play it like a normal tv...
post #155 of 173 Old 08-16-2019, 04:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked: 634
Quote:
What year is your Oled?

Voted most desirable mate by the ladies every year! Klan leader! Mob boss! Love advice expert! Credit cards accepted.
post #156 of 173 Old 08-16-2019, 04:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked: 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
My son still uses my old 2016 E6, games most of the time...no BI. Still plenty of owners of even earlier oleds with no BI,instead of generalizing all us crazy defensive die hard supporters get all your facts straight, and remember you get quite defensive your self with that q90...just sayin.
So you gave up a rare perfectly working priceless 3D Oled, yet still consider yourself sane?

Voted most desirable mate by the ladies every year! Klan leader! Mob boss! Love advice expert! Credit cards accepted.

Last edited by Kenbar; 08-16-2019 at 05:00 AM.
post #157 of 173 Old 08-16-2019, 03:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
rting on the website, CNN still burned in while using less light output, the way i see it, it takes a year if not more for the cells to truly age, so u wont have burn in.... how many years have you own a oled?

Last edited by Spidergames; 08-17-2019 at 11:28 AM.
post #158 of 173 Old 08-17-2019, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does the ticker for ESPN or other sports channels give problems? TV would not be used for gaming. I'm looking for a new TV, want to avoid potential problems.
post #159 of 173 Old 08-18-2019, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman_Mike View Post
To answer your other questions. They don't have 2016 panels anymore, so they couldn't replace them with that, if they wanted to. I'm guessing their panels are modularly the same, so an E6 may not look exactly like an E7, E8, or E9, but the holes are in the same places, so they can still fit them to the older boards and back plates. Ditto for a B, or C model. No idea what they do with C6's which have curved screens...
I just got an email from LG tech support telling me that they will replace my display at no cost! I have a OLED55E7P (bought Aug 2017) with just over 10000 hrs on it.

I’m wondering if the new panel they put in will have any of the improvements that LG has made over the past couple of years; are those improvements in the electronics that are part of the replacement panel, or in the other parts of the TV?

Does anyone know if LG has put any anti BI improvements into the firmware? I have accepted all of the FW updates that have been offered.

I just want to do everything I can to minimize the chance of this new panel suffering the same fate, short of not watching CNN, et al. I don’t use VIVID (torch mode), and don’t play video games.
post #160 of 173 Old 08-19-2019, 05:46 AM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by hziemba View Post
I just got an email from LG tech support telling me that they will replace my display at no cost! I have a OLED55E7P (bought Aug 2017) with just over 10000 hrs on it.

I’m wondering if the new panel they put in will have any of the improvements that LG has made over the past couple of years; are those improvements in the electronics that are part of the replacement panel, or in the other parts of the TV?

Does anyone know if LG has put any anti BI improvements into the firmware? I have accepted all of the FW updates that have been offered.

I just want to do everything I can to minimize the chance of this new panel suffering the same fate, short of not watching CNN, et al. I don’t use VIVID (torch mode), and don’t play video games.
First, congratulations! I've had two panels (LG OLED 55B7A) replaced because of burn in free of charge. In both cases, only the screens were replaced. The electronics remained the same both times. I don't remember having to redo any of my settings either time.
post #161 of 173 Old 08-19-2019, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 567
Quote:

They replace the panel, but the guts of the TV remain the same. You will get a panel with the physical measures of resisting burn in, ie larger red sub pixels, but none of the static logo dimming and other software stuff that LG implemented... They only care to a certain point, I guess...
DrR0Ck likes this.

post #162 of 173 Old 08-19-2019, 07:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
BI talk also needs to be divided into categories, 2016 and earlier oled owners, and 2017 and later owners. Because in 2017 LG started using memory compensation that improved BI resistance big time and 2018 and 2019 models added some subpixel size changes (making the red subpixel bigger) which further improved things. 2016 and earlier oleds are most suspectible. If you buy a current oled 2018 or 2019 model, you have nothing to worry about, unless you have weird habits of watching the same channel everyday without varying the content in between at all, as in the same channel runs in loops 12 hours daily and nothing else gets watched.
There's no such thing as an emissive TV that has "nothing to worry about" in terms of BI. Unless you can show me a an emissive TV that has pixels that NEVER degrade in brightness, then BI is always possible.

Second part, bolded. Varying content won't necessarily prevent burn in. It's mostly about cumulative time watching something that has an image that is saturated and in one of the high risk colors (red, yellow). I had a section of the main menu from the YouTube app burned-in on my set, and that menu is rarely displayed relative to the amount of time spent actually watching a video, and definitely never for longer than a few seconds. Yet it was just as visible as the Destiny 2 HUD that stays on screen for long periods of time during my gaming sessions. The one thing they had in common was that they were both yellow.

post #163 of 173 Old 08-19-2019, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinwmsn View Post
Does the ticker for ESPN or other sports channels give problems? TV would not be used for gaming. I'm looking for a new TV, want to avoid potential problems.
I got burn-in by watching the Dan Le Batard Show with Stugotz on ESPN. And this wasn't even with daily watching.
post #164 of 173 Old 08-19-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:

Same here, was just told that I was approved to have my panel replaced for free. Unfortunately my new TV that I ordered 2 weeks ago when LG told me they would *not* replace it just arrived, and it's way too costly to send back... Wow, 10000 hours -- my TV only had about 7000 when BI appeared...

I think one of my problems [with OLED] was how LG handled BI via firmware for Game Mode -- they darkened the everything, I'm assuming they did so to prevent HUD burn-in. It worked, as the burn-in I got did not come from videogames; but gaming in HDR on my B6 was not as enjoyable, and in some cases I turned off HDR completely because the image was too dark.
post #165 of 173 Old 08-19-2019, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Same here, was just told that I was approved to have my panel replaced for free. Unfortunately my new TV that I ordered 2 weeks ago when LG told me they would *not* replace it just arrived, and it's way too costly to send back... Wow, 10000 hours -- my TV only had about 7000 when BI appeared...

I think one of my problems [with OLED] was how LG handled BI via firmware for Game Mode -- they darkened the everything, I'm assuming they did so to prevent HUD burn-in. It worked, as the burn-in I got did not come from videogames; but gaming in HDR on my B6 was not as enjoyable, and in some cases I turned off HDR completely because the image was too dark.
They reversed the dim HDR Game Mode in a later firmware. All the games I play have HDR modes so my gaming was always done at 100 OLED light. Even though HDR is supposed to be 100 OLED light, I've turned it down to 80 since getting the new panel. Trying to preserve this panel as long as I can until I get my newer, bigger set next year.

I was at 11,900 hours the day that my panel was replaced. I probably started seeing the effects of burn in around the 7-8k mark though.

post #166 of 173 Old 08-19-2019, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 156
[QUOTE=pbz06;58403668]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenv996 View Post

I go to my Best Buy and Magnolia almost every weekend, and regularly window shop for TVs. Never have I seen image retention nor burn in on display models.

You are likely jaded from your bad experience, it's ok. Probably the first person that hit "yes" you were already responding with "I OLD YOU SO!" [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/IMG] [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
Jumping in here and since we are speaking frankly, not sure that you are (a) paying attention and (b) most of BB/Magnolia is not “showing” red screens with any regularity. Many many of Magnolias’ OLED screens are crisped...burn in. And they are not “discriminatory”...I have seen it prominent in BOTH LG as well as SONY. I do not yet own an OLED. I have “no skin in the game” but I am a close observer. Yes, they run same material over and over. Just reporting the fact of store burn in. And it is not IR.
post #167 of 173 Old 08-19-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
They reversed the dim HDR Game Mode in a later firmware. All the games I play have HDR modes so my gaming was always done at 100 OLED light. Even though HDR is supposed to be 100 OLED light, I've turned it down to 80 since getting the new panel. Trying to preserve this panel as long as I can until I get my newer, bigger set next year.
I was using my OLED until 3 days ago, I had all the latest firmware. (Can't remember what number I was on -- 5.30.something? I don't know.) And it was still too dark, for my preferences. For example, playing a mid-summer 1pm game in MLB The Show, the image is as if I am wearing sunglasses. I fiddled around with all of the picture settings (it's only bright when using non-HDR Game mode, in which case the input lag is way too high), and the infinite combinations I set could not make the image bright enough. I know LG provided a "work-around" of turning Dynamic Contrast ON, which did help alot...but still not good enough. (I know many on the web weren't happy with this fix, either.) It's night & day compared to my Samsung QLED...
post #168 of 173 Old 08-19-2019, 11:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I was using my OLED until 3 days ago, I had all the latest firmware. (Can't remember what number I was on -- 5.30.something? I don't know.) And it was still too dark, for my preferences. For example, playing a mid-summer 1pm game in MLB The Show, the image is as if I am wearing sunglasses. I fiddled around with all of the picture settings (it's only bright when using non-HDR Game mode, in which case the input lag is way too high), and the infinite combinations I set could not make the image bright enough. I know LG provided a "work-around" of turning Dynamic Contrast ON, which did help alot...but still not good enough. (I know many on the web weren't happy with this fix, either.) It's night & day compared to my Samsung QLED...
They didn't go all the way back to the first HDR Game mode brightness, but it's very close. I started playing Horizon Zero Dawn with the original implementation and then had them switch to the dark one. It was night and day. I did have to use Dynamic contrast to have a decent HDR experience. I don't remember what number FW it went back, but it was close to the initial Horizon experience when they updated. I don't use DC anymore.

I play Destiny 2 in HDR and it is super bright. When playing at night with the lights out, if I look at the white circle on the bottom right of the screen that shows the number of people in the lobby out of total capacity, currently, and then look away, I can still see the circle and the numbers as a ghost image. Like when you look at the sun and then look away and still see a circle in front of your eyes.

post #169 of 173 Old 08-19-2019, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
They replace the panel, but the guts of the TV remain the same. You will get a panel with the physical measures of resisting burn in, ie larger red sub pixels, but none of the static logo dimming and other software stuff that LG implemented... They only care to a certain point, I guess...
They didn't implement the static logo dimming until the 2018 models, I think. The person you were responding to has a 2017 model.
post #170 of 173 Old 08-19-2019, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nation66 View Post
They didn't implement the static logo dimming until the 2018 models, I think. The person you were responding to has a 2017 model.
I know. That's why I said they wouldn't be getting the software burn-in measures that LG added in later models. Just the physical ones from getting a new panel.
Nation66 likes this.

post #171 of 173 Old 08-19-2019, 06:24 PM

Quote:
They didn't go all the way back to the first HDR Game mode brightness, but it's very close. I started playing Horizon Zero Dawn with the original implementation and then had them switch to the dark one. It was night and day. I did have to use Dynamic contrast to have a decent HDR experience. I don't remember what number FW it went back, but it was close to the initial Horizon experience when they updated. I don't use DC anymore.
I agree that LG improved the brightness in recent firmware updates; but as you said, still not as bright as the initial HDR Game Mode firmware.

I own another LG -- UH8500 (non-OLED) -- purchased in 2016 before I got my B6, and LG screwed the HDR brightness on that one with firmware updates, too. Its picture is so dark that I deemed it absolutely unplayable in HDR game mode. (When I got sick of my B6 burn-in 3 weeks ago, I replaced it with this UH8500, but then it was so ridiculously dark that I put the OLED back up again.) It's as though LG just favors darker, harder to see images. At this point I just don't trust LG or their firmware, period.
post #172 of 173 Old 08-19-2019, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
I know. That's why I said they wouldn't be getting the software burn-in measures that LG added in later models. Just the physical ones from getting a new panel.
I asked my LG tech about the anti-burn in software - I suggested that LG should put that software into a firmware update to push out to all the LG OLED TVs. He wasn't aware of the details, but promised to push my question up the chain.

Such a firmware update would be a WIN for LG and the customers. I'd be surprised if they were technically unable to do this...they already have the software running in 2018/2019 versions of the TVs, and they have the process for pushing out FW updates in place.
DrR0Ck likes this.
post #173 of 173 Old 09-03-2019, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
I asked my LG tech about the anti-burn in software - I suggested that LG should put that software into a firmware update to push out to all the LG OLED TVs. He wasn't aware of the details, but promised to push my question up the chain.

Such a firmware update would be a WIN for LG and the customers. I'd be surprised if they were technically unable to do this...they already have the software running in 2018/2019 versions of the TVs, and they have the process for pushing out FW updates in place.
I'd love to see older models including my C6 receive such an update, but I wonder how much the functionality would require newer processors in the TV's and how much is simply software.

Last edited by DrR0Ck; 09-03-2019 at 11:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page