Samsung Reportedly Shifting Production of LCD TVs to OLED TVs - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 51Likes

post #1 of 68 Old 08-17-2019, 05:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Samsung Reportedly Shifting Production of LCD TVs to OLED TVs

Samsung looks to be shutting down both LCD Plants in South Korea and switching everything over to large OLED. Will switch all LCD panel production to China. Finally, this is great news. Cant wait to see what Samsung brings to the table.

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.ph...&id=1565942818

Haven't seen this posted in the forum. I mentioned it in OLED Advancements thread, but that thread seems to get little traffic. Mods please delete if thread already started.
Bahn Yuki likes this.

Sony 65A1E
LG 65EF9500
LG 55EG9100
Samsung 60F8500
LG UP870 Multi-Region
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 Old 08-17-2019, 05:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Great news, curious if they will use RGB OLED instead of WOLED. The quantum dot is interesting, also curious about the brightness it can deliver and the support of Dolby Vision (it’s about time they do).

Klipsch Reference Premiere: 4 x RP-280's, 1 x RP 450C and dual R-115W's
Marantz 7011 AVR
LG OLED B6
Apple TV 4K
PlayStation Pro
post #3 of 68 Old 08-17-2019, 06:44 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 65
How will they face the press with a straight face after mudslinging oled and LG saying oled is sure to burn in and their qled does 100% colour volume compared to LG oled?

It does not look like they will resume rgb oled , which they have done one tv model in 2013, they use rgb oled in the phone panels they produce, I would have liked rgb oled on TV overcoming the faults they had, but that's not what they are doing. It will be Quantum Dot + Blue OLED technology. We will see if some shortcomings of LG WOLED can be overcome when they launch around 2022, but I'm not too positive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 68 Old 08-17-2019, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1750 Post(s)
Liked: 1064
I can tell you what the great Samsung will bring, really, really expensive OLED displays. They'll be 2 times more expensive for the same or worse performance as LG but hey that's what Samsung does.
post #5 of 68 Old 08-17-2019, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfieldjames View Post
I can tell you what the great Samsung will bring, really, really expensive OLED displays. They'll be 2 times more expensive for the same or worse performance as LG but hey that's what Samsung does.
Seeing how expensive the high end qled models are for what they offer, I don't doubt that with QD -Blue Oled they will rape customers wallets for the first few years until they bring prices down or are forced to bring prices down by the ever decreasing prices of LG WOLED. It will also depend on how good or bad the technology and picture quality stacks up against WOLED
post #6 of 68 Old 08-17-2019, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 909 Post(s)
Liked: 945
My only question is: Can Samsung manufacture tint/banding free Oleds? (probably not)

But if the answer is yes, Samsung will have a new customer...
Wizziwig, MCaugusto, JD23 and 2 others like this.
post #7 of 68 Old 08-17-2019, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

How much over saturation will Samsung employ on their OLED displays as they do on LCD? Yeah I'm just not a fan of Samsung in any capacity. Oh hey are they gonna finally include Dolby Vision? I mean but a 7,000 dollar Samsung LCD and not even get Dolby Vision, now that is a joke.
TheSonyExperience likes this.
post #8 of 68 Old 08-17-2019, 09:07 AM

^ If I had to take a stock market bet on it, my money would be on no. And if banding or tinting is tamed, there are various other uniformity issues it can have , it'll have its own set of 'diseases'. Scamsung is the least trustworthy TV company in the world.
Hetfieldjames likes this.
post #9 of 68 Old 08-17-2019, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1114 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Looks like there is some guessing going on in the original report.

"The move, they said, appears to be a part of the so-called ‘C Project,’ involving a gradual shift towards large-sized TV OLED panels.

http://en.thelec.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=460

"appears to be" ...based on rumors that have been circulating around for awhile now...add line closings = Oled ?

Maybe...maybe not.

Could be a good guess, but you all know the old saying..."Don't count your chickens till they hatch".

Voted most desirable mate by the ladies every year! Klan leader! Mob boss! Love advice expert! Credit cards accepted.

Last edited by Kenbar; 08-17-2019 at 02:27 PM.
post #10 of 68 Old 08-17-2019, 03:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2237 Post(s)
Liked: 1520
^^^
Definitely a lot of assumptions being made here. Both Samsung and LG are scaling back Korean LCD panel production because they can get panels cheaper from China. That doesn't automatically mean they are scaling back LCD TV production (using 3rd party panels) or switching to OLED. I'll wait for some official announcements before dancing on LCD's grave.
post #11 of 68 Old 08-17-2019, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 103
So I’m in the Market for a New TV guess OLED is the way of the future for high end 4K and 8K

Samsung going OLED
LG OLED
Sony OLED also Dual Layer LCD
Panasonic OLED
TCL Mini LEDs
Hisense Dual Layer LCD
Vizio whomp womp low end LCD
post #12 of 68 Old 08-17-2019, 05:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cold View Post
So I’m in the Market for a New TV guess OLED is the way of the future for high end 4K and 8K

Samsung going OLED

LG OLED

Sony OLED also Dual Layer LCD

Panasonic OLED

TCL Mini LEDs

Hisense Dual Layer LCD

Vizio whomp womp low end LCD
Well that is true, what is Vizio going to do? They have anything up their sleeve?
post #13 of 68 Old 08-18-2019, 05:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1484 Post(s)
Liked: 1237
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk82 View Post
My only question is: Can Samsung manufacture tint/banding free Oleds? (probably not)

But if the answer is yes, Samsung will have a new customer...
Same here. I don’t really get all the Samsung hate (other than reading all the comments here), but I’m hopeful things will get better with competition.

The television screen is the retina of the mind's eye.
Sony XBR-65A1E OLED/Denon X4300H/Oppo 203/Klipsch RVX‑42/PS4 Pro/Xbox One X/5.1.2
post #14 of 68 Old 08-18-2019, 06:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2425 Post(s)
Liked: 1418
Quote:
Well that is true, what is Vizio going to do? They have anything up their sleeve?
They will sell OLEDs within a few years.
Hetfieldjames likes this.
post #15 of 68 Old 08-18-2019, 06:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post
Hmm, interesting. That's kinda what I might have thought but they haven't said anything like that. I wonder what Vizio is up to.
post #16 of 68 Old 08-18-2019, 06:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hmm, interesting. That's kinda what I might have thought but they haven't said anything like that. I wonder what Vizio is up to.
There was news a while back that they wanted to buy OLED panels from LG but had to wait because LG had not enough supply.
post #17 of 68 Old 08-18-2019, 06:48 AM
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9164 Post(s)
Liked: 16162
This notion of Samsung fully embracing OLED over LCD all strikes me as being quite speculative, to say the least.
brazen1 likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 08-18-2019 at 07:01 AM.
post #18 of 68 Old 08-18-2019, 06:50 AM
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Edit - My bad I lost track, thought this was re: Samsung.

Maybe it'll be TVs that use OLED as a backlight, as a sort of super-FALD QD-OLED. And even that would be a surprise to me since micro-LED backlights have brightness and longevity advantages with that approach. But I would not hold my breath for an RGB or RGBW emissive OLED to come from Samsung, *IMO*. I'm open to being wrong!

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 08-18-2019 at 06:59 AM.
post #19 of 68 Old 08-18-2019, 06:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Maybe it'll be TVs that use OLED as a backlight, as a sort of super-FALD QD-OLED. And even that would be a surprise to me since micro-LED backlights have brightness and longevity advantages with that approach. But I would not hold my breath for an RGB or RGBW emissive OLED to come from Samsung, *IMO*. I'm open to being wrong!
You are thinking Samsung, i was talking Vizio.
post #20 of 68 Old 08-18-2019, 06:58 AM
Mark Henninger

Quote:
You are thinking Samsung, i was talking Vizio.
Oh lol, I'm not paying attention. I WAS wrong.

Sure, why not! Who knows... CES 2019 is gonna be really interesting now that the focus is fully back on quality and size with flat screens. Should at least get a hint of what's coming in 2 years.
8mile13 likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #21 of 68 Old 08-18-2019, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Oh lol, I'm not paying attention. I WAS wrong.

Sure, why not! Who knows... CES 2019 is gonna be really interesting now that the focus is fully back on quality and size with flat screens. Should at least get a hint of what's coming in 2 years.
https://translate.google.com/transla...20190415000209
imagic likes this.
post #22 of 68 Old 08-18-2019, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbar View Post
Looks like there is some guessing going on in the original report.

"The move, they said, appears to be a part of the so-called ‘C Project,’ involving a gradual shift towards large-sized TV OLED panels.

http://en.thelec.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=460

"appears to be" ...based on rumors that have been circulating around for awhile now...add line closings = Oled ?

Maybe...maybe not.

Could be a good guess, but you all know the old saying..."Don't count your chickens till they hatch".
I'm going to bite on this one. I think it happens and the Samsung marketing machine will begin. It would be great for them to enter the fold, no matter if the product sucks or not. Competition breeds a better product.
VidPro and Kenbar like this.

Sony 65A1E
LG 65EF9500
LG 55EG9100
Samsung 60F8500
LG UP870 Multi-Region
post #23 of 68 Old 08-21-2019, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4878
Quote:
Guess you hadn't heard. Vizio will be launching WOLED TVs next year: https://www.siliconinvestor.com/read...&showwhorecd=1

"According to an industry source familiar with the situation on Wednesday, Vijio of the United States is planning to supply large OLED panels from LG Display and plan next year's model."

At CES 5 months from now,Damsung will be the only major TV manufacturer not offering WOLED TVs (unless you also want to include TCL).

And as farxas the subject of this thread, the article that has already been linked to b Kenbar included this tidbit:

"The 50.1 billion won contract between ICD and Canon Tokki is set to expire in June of 2020. This means Samsung Display’s plans to bring in the Canon Tokki equipment by March next year may have been a bit delayed.

Meanwhile, another equipment maker that is to supply the C Project said that purchase orders are being postponed from October from the initially planned August."

This QD-BOLED program was originally slated to be approved and committed in April when the decision was delayed to June, then it was delayed from June to August, and now it apoears that the decision has been delayed from August to October.

Until POs have been placed, the entire initiative may prove to be nothing more than hype, hope, and a bit of R&D. Playing catch-up with LGD WOLED based on a display technology that is not superior in any significant way and is not less costly to manufacture is a fool's errand, and to Samsung management's credit, they seem to be keenly aware of this.

Samsung Display keeps promising breakthroughs in performance (primarily long-lifetime blue) and cost (reducing from 3 BOLED layers to 2 and eliminating the need for blue-blockng color filters) and Samsung management keeps saying 'fine, come back when you can demonstrate those breakthroughs and we will revisit the subject, unil then, the investment decision is on hold.'

LGD has now committed POs for their 10.5G WOLED line and as the schedule for Samsung's QD-BOLED initiative keeps slipping behind LGD's 10.5G WOLED initiative quarter-by-quarter, the window on QD-BOLED ever seeng the light of day is closing.

LGD had the luxury of selling their limited early production of WOLED TVs for outrageously high prices due to superior performance over LED/LCD, which was critical to making excessive costs and losses associated with manufacturing ramp-up acceptable.

Now that WOLED has established itself as the Premium TV performance standard, Samsung QD-BOLED won't have that luxury, epecially once LGD has launched 10.5G WOLED manufacturing. For perspective, once 10.5G WOLED panel manufacturing is ramped-up to 8.5G-like levels of maturity (meaning equivalent yield-levels), a 75" WOLED TV will cost less than 150% the price of a 55" WOLED TV (probably meaning sub-$2000, and likely by 2022).

At this point, I'd give Samsung QD-BOLED less than a 50/50 chance of ever making it onto the selves...
post #24 of 68 Old 08-21-2019, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

18-08-2019 Samsung Display CEO Lee Dong-hoon told The Korea Herald, “The company is making good efforts” to launch QD-OLED panels in the near future.

English (US) “Good effortmeans that you tried your best on something but perhaps made one or a few mistakes. The person telling you “good effort” can see that you tried to do well and are saying “good effort” to encourage you to do better.
post #25 of 68 Old 08-21-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
18-08-2019 Samsung Display CEO Lee Dong-hoon told The Korea Herald, “The company is making good efforts” to launch QD-OLED panels in the near future.

English (US) “Good effortmeans that you tried your best on something but perhaps made one or a few mistakes. The person telling you “good effort” can see that you tried to do well and are saying “good effort” to encourage you to do better.
Yeah, it's a certainty that Samsung Display is doing everything they can to improve QD-BOLED and convince Samsung management to begin investing the $billions needed to begin ramping production.

Unfortubately, those efforts may prove insufficient - Samsung Visual Display (the arm that sells TVs) woukd rather invest a fraction of that caputal to ramp MicroLED production and is very reluctant to enter the Premium TV Market with a 'catch-up/me-too' OLED technology.

The need for the Blue-blocking color filters was apparently the straw tht broke the camel's back. Entering the market with an RGB OLED/QD technology that does not require color filters coukd have been enough of a differentiator that the SVD people would have been willing to give it a go.

But needing color filters like WOLED, along with the extra cost for the color filters themselves as well as the additional blue OLED layer needed to make up for the loss of efficiency caused by the blue-blocking color filters just proved too much for SVD to have cofidence that they could win Premium Market share against WOLED with the technology...
anwsmh likes this.
post #26 of 68 Old 08-21-2019, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
Yeah, it's a certainty that Samsung Display is doing everything they can to improve QD-BOLED and convince Samsung management to begin investing the $billions needed to begin ramping production.

Unfortubately, those efforts may prove insufficient - Samsung Visual Display (the arm that sells TVs) woukd rather invest a fraction of that caputal to ramp MicroLED production and is very reluctant to enter the Premium TV Market with a 'catch-up/me-too' OLED technology.

The need for the Blue-blocking color filters was apparently the straw tht broke the camel's back. Entering the market with an RGB OLED/QD technology that does not require color filters coukd have been enough of a differentiator that the SVD people would have been willing to give it a go.

But needing color filters like WOLED, along with the extra cost for the color filters themselves as well as the additional blue OLED layer needed to make up for the loss of efficiency caused by the blue-blocking color filters just proved too much for SVD to have cofidence that they could win Premium Market share against WOLED with the technology...
I see what you're getting at and we've all seen the delays, but with Samsung shutting their LCD plants down, it surely cant mean that they are just cutting a crap load of jobs and telling everyone, "its been fun, but your job left for China." Certainly something is happening at these plants concerning television manufacturing,...............maybe?

Sony 65A1E
LG 65EF9500
LG 55EG9100
Samsung 60F8500
LG UP870 Multi-Region
post #27 of 68 Old 08-21-2019, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianabol5mg View Post
I see what you're getting at and we've all seen the delays, but with Samsung shutting their LCD plants down, it surely cant mean that they are just cutting a crap load of jobs and telling everyone, "its been fun, but your job left for China." Certainly something is happening at these plants concerning television manufacturing,...............maybe?
Something, almost certainly, but something for TV panels? Much more uncertain. Those LCD lines can always be converted to RGB OLED lines for phone screens (or tablets, laptops, etc - any screen small enough for existing Fine Metal Mask patterning to be used).
post #28 of 68 Old 08-21-2019, 07:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:

So everyone is going OLED

Sony = OLED
Panasonic = OLED
Vizio = OLED
Samsung = OLED (2019 every 15” Laptop on the market is using a Samsung OLED Panel today)
LG = OLED 350-400nits and 30,000 hour blue phosphors by 2021 (currently only 15,000 hours)
TCL = Mini LEDs 8 Series
Hisense = Dual Layer LCD and Some OLED

This is a ALOT of OLED competition Price must go waaaayyyy down for the 2021 releases right or no ?
post #29 of 68 Old 08-21-2019, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cold View Post
So everyone is going OLED

Sony = OLED
Panasonic = OLED
Vizio = OLED
Samsung = OLED (2019 every 15” Laptop on the market is using a Samsung OLED Panel today)
LG = OLED 350-400nits and 30,000 hour blue phosphors by 2021 (currently only 15,000 hours)
TCL = Mini LEDs 8 Series
Hisense = Dual Layer LCD and Some OLED

This is a ALOT of OLED competition [b]Price must go waaaayyyy down for the 2021 releases right or no ?[/n]
Right, but not for the reason you think (so no).

LGD is the only one supplying WOLED TV panels (the only flavor of OLED currently used for TV).

Sony gets their OLED TV panels from LGD (WOLED).

Panasonic gets their OLED TV panels from LGD (WOLED).

Toshiba gets their OLED TV panels from LGD (WOLED).

Philips gets their OLED TV panels from LGD (WOLED).

Hisense gets their OLED TV panels from LGD (WOLED).

Next year, Vizio will be getting their OLED TV panels from LGD (WOLED).

Samsung will never source TV panels from their Korea arch-rival, so until they commit to production of QD-BOLED, it's QLED/LCD and maybe eventually some Super-Premium-Segment MicroLED TVs from them.

And TCL has some exotic in-house hybrid/ILED (inorganic light emitting diodes) technology they are working on.

The reason OLED TV prices will decline dramatically by 2022 is that LGD's 10.5G WOLED fab will be coming online, not because more and more OEM brands are introducing OLED TVs based on LGD's WOLED panels.

More customers = more demand = justification to invest in more manufacturing capacity = more efficient 10.5 G WOLED panel production = 75" WOLED TVs costing less than 1.5 times the cost of 55" WOLED TVs.

Samsung's QD-BOLED technology will cause LGD to get more agressive with WOLED panel
pricing (if it materializes), but Premium high-zone-count FALD LED LCD in general and Samsung's QLED/LCD technology in particular will do the bulk of the heavy-lifting in terms of keeping WOLED panel prices on a steep year-over-year price-down curve.

By 2022, $1000 65" WOLED TVs and sub-$2000 75" WOLED TVs will not seem like a pipe-dream (but again, not for the reason you've outlined).
AnalogHD likes this.
post #30 of 68 Old 09-27-2019, 05:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 5399 Post(s)
Liked: 3821
Samsung to invest close to $11 billion for QD OLED TV Production

https://www.oled-info.com/business-k...-tv-production

LG 65E6P OLED - LG 65EF9500 OLED - OPPO 203 - OPPO 103D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement