2019 LG B9 Owner's Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 20Likes

post #61 of 89 Old 12-02-2019, 07:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post
Certification matters for 4K and 8k cables. I exclusively use monoprice HDMI cables but would never recommend buying a non fiber HDMI cable from them unless it is certified.
Certification from whom?

For 8K, there isn't a "real" industry trade organization to certify it.

And with the specs being met and warranted...the added need for "certification" boarders on severe overkill. The whole point is that they exceed 4K specs exponentially...which is the eARC, HDR, and Dolby Vision requirements supported by the B9. All these cable specs exceed any 4K cables sold today...no one needs to go down the certification rabbit hole.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 89 Old 12-02-2019, 07:29 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Quoted: 12806 Post(s)
Liked: 12148
Quote:
The panels are binned. E and Ws get grade A panels. C, and especially B, get whatever is available at the time of assembly.
are binned panels brighter or just different with Uniformity? And if you don't mind me asking, the difference is brightness between the B9 and C9, comes down to physical differences in the power supplies, or the Alpha chip differences/software?

82Q90R*75Q9FN(RIP)*55C8OLED*Galaxy Note10+*Ub820 fed into Oppo 203*XB1X*4k DenonX4200

MASTER LIST OF HDR CONTENT THREAD HERE, UPDATED OFTEN
post #63 of 89 Old 12-02-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
are binned panels brighter or just different with Uniformity? And if you don't mind me asking, the difference is brightness between the B9 and C9, comes down to physical differences in the power supplies, or the Alpha chip differences/software?
Put a C9 and B9 next to each other...and play the same source 1080P and 4K UHD content on both. Been there, done that. Good luck telling the difference.
Cam1977 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 89 Old 12-02-2019, 07:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked: 3804
^its probably difficult to tell the difference...and as far as brightness...its panel variation, as shown in reviews and even some of the professionals here.
UHDFAN1 likes this.
post #65 of 89 Old 12-02-2019, 08:06 PM

Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Quoted: 12806 Post(s)
Liked: 12148
Quote:
Originally Posted by UHDFAN1 View Post
Put a C9 and B9 next to each other...and play the same source 1080P and 4K UHD content on both. Been there, done that. Good luck telling the difference.
they are side by side at best buy, the difference in brightness is pretty obvious to me. Vincent Teohs recent reviews show 550nits on the B9, around 200 nits lower than the C9/C8. I don't believe ive seen any C9/C8 measure that low, so im going to assume this B9 was not a "rare" bird in the low end. If you want to claim that best buy intentionally lowers the B9, that's fine, but again the measurements seem to confirm that. Im just curious if its the panel or the power supply. LCD reserves extra brightness for their higher models so it wouldn't surprise me if the same thing happens with OLED tvs. Some people may not care but others may.

82Q90R*75Q9FN(RIP)*55C8OLED*Galaxy Note10+*Ub820 fed into Oppo 203*XB1X*4k DenonX4200

MASTER LIST OF HDR CONTENT THREAD HERE, UPDATED OFTEN
post #66 of 89 Old 12-02-2019, 08:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^well that's not the case at all my BB's near me. They all look the same...The E/C/B are all together in the LG display area playing same feed.
post #67 of 89 Old 12-02-2019, 08:12 PM

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked: 3808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
^well well well, a typical response from you...and to think I actually thought about letting you in my home, as I know you are very well respected here.
Typical response? I’ve been here 15 years to the month and have never posted FUD or unsubstantiated information. I post correct, valid information when I can. If somehow you take that in a negative manner.... your prerogative.

I’m not sure what has happened in your world in the last 2 years but you will never have to worry about me agreeing to calibrate any of your displays (just read your PM and best believe you will see mine). Calibrate them yourself of hire someone else.

Quote:
Instead of a , defensive response you just gave me...since I never questioned your "expertise" in this world...why not provide some form of evidence as the whole NDA argument is getting old...in fact, if you did sign an NDA why even mention it here...
You said you’re military, correct? It’s classified information. Understand what that means now?
post #68 of 89 Old 12-02-2019, 08:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^you mad bro?? yeah, is saying you signed an NDA your security net??? Does it make you feel better??? Your making this personal remember that ignore is a powerful tool, whether you like it or not I'll remain skeptical. Its irresponsible to suggest without factual evidence that these are binned...do you understand??? It ain't your money, folks have the same risk with these panels no matter the model they go with, not the other way around becuase you say so. Its sad tnough that no one can question the almighty D-Nice, without getting a response befit of someone who's obviously insecure...preach on fella🤣
sd13 likes this.

Last edited by Cam1977; 12-02-2019 at 08:20 PM.
post #69 of 89 Old 12-02-2019, 08:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1180 Post(s)
Liked: 1103
Quote:
^well that's not the case at all my BB's near me. They all look the same...The E/C/B are all together in the LG display area playing same feed.

I checked out the b9 at a magnolia design center with the lights dimmed. Side by side with the remote control, both in stock isf mode and even though in many scenes they look identical, here is where I noticed differences. 1) lower res content. Especially dark scenes I noticed more noise and posterization on the b9. 2) bright hdr scenes. The b9 had less impactful hdr tone mapping. Not sure if it’s because of lower nits but the b9 just felt more closer to a c7 than a c9. 3) gradients: I noticed better handling of color banding on the c9. There are probably more differences under the hood which I haven’t had the chance to check out, but in my opinion there is a $300 difference in price for a reason (compared to only a $100 difference last year).
post #70 of 89 Old 12-02-2019, 08:31 PM

Quote:
^you mad bro??
Mad? Why would I be?

Quote:
yeah, is saying you signed an NDA your security net??? Does it make you feel better???
Did I say I signed an NDA or is that your perception of black and white text? Reading is fundamental and I choose my posted words wisely.

Quote:
Your making this personal remember that ignore is a powerful tool, whether you like it or not I'll remain skeptical.
Your PM was personal, my response to your PM was equally personal. What is posted in this thread is not.

Quote:
Its irresponsible to suggest without factual evidence that these are binned...do you understand???
it is also irresponsible to expect what I know is confidential information to be posted on an open forum. Post your SSN and/or bank account info if you feel it is not.

Quote:
It ain't your money, folks have the same risk with these panels no matter the model they go with, not the other way around becuase you say so.
I am not the end all be all on info. However, others know this information and at least one other on this forum has pointed out the same info.

Quote:
Its sad tnough that no one can question the almighty D-Nice, without getting a response befit of someone who's obviously insecure...preach on fella🤣
It’s sad you think I’m almighty. But thanks for the complement????
post #71 of 89 Old 12-02-2019, 08:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@sd13 gradients probably have more to do with the different chipset for sure, but I couldn't tell difference in brightness...however I could chalk that up in that I wasn't paying that much attention to it...the biggest difference I've seen in brightness was the a8g vs a9g... big big difference their.
post #72 of 89 Old 12-02-2019, 08:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1180 Post(s)
Liked: 1103
Quote:
^you mad bro?? yeah, is saying you signed an NDA your security net??? Does it make you feel better??? Your making this personal remember that ignore is a powerful tool, whether you like it or not I'll remain skeptical. Its irresponsible to suggest without factual evidence that these are binned...do you understand??? It ain't your money, folks have the same risk with these panels no matter the model they go with, not the other way around becuase you say so. Its sad tnough that no one can question the almighty D-Nice, without getting a response befit of someone who's obviously insecure...preach on fella

Not sure about all this binning talk. I was skeptical as well but I ran banding tests on both my a9g and c9 and they are both almost equally as clean but if i have to give one tv a win over the other by a hair, it would be the c9. Slightly more magenta on the left side of my a9g as opposed to my c9 which has no hints of it at all.
Cam1977 likes this.
post #73 of 89 Old 12-02-2019, 08:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

@D-Nice , your ability to multi quote is very impressive. Keep preaching that you signed this mythical NDA to prove your point...this is me caring...it would be foolish for me, not knowing who you are in this world to take a gamble...sometimes a 2000 dollar gamble and purchase "A" graded panel and turn out no better than the "B" panel...because again...you said so. Spin this anyway you want.
sd13 likes this.

Last edited by Cam1977; 12-02-2019 at 08:50 PM.
post #74 of 89 Old 12-02-2019, 08:50 PM

Quote:
@D-Nice , your ability to multi quote is very impressive. Keep preaching that you signed this mythical NDA to prove your point...this is me caring...it would be foolish for me, not knowing who you are in this world to take a gamble...sometimes a 2000 dollar gamble and purchase "A" graded panel and turn out no better than the "B" panel.
Quote:
You will never see me post confidential NDA material on any public, or private, forum.... so why do you continue to poke thinking I will?
Point where it says I signed a NDA with LGD? Read it 50 times as that number is typically how many repetitions it takes a human to learn a skill. If you don’t learn after the 50, you never will.

What you or anyone else chooses to do with your money is your business. I’m simply posting information. Take information or leave it. My net profit is $0. I still have my 55C9 and still recommend C and B9s to clients too. So..... what else you want to attempt to throw my was. Better hurry as Mods have been notified
post #75 of 89 Old 12-02-2019, 08:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^if you reported me to the mods...come out and say so...I didn't know disagreeing with you warranted that. I dont run for help when my argument fails...I either accept I was wrong or just disagree...good food for thought.
sd13 likes this.

Last edited by Cam1977; 12-02-2019 at 08:55 PM.
post #76 of 89 Old 12-02-2019, 09:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Certification from whom?
A relatively unknown group that created the HDMI specifications.

Quote:
For 8K, there isn't a "real" industry trade organization to certify it.
There is no such thing as an "8K HDMI Cable" or even a "4K HDMI Cable". It's either a Premium HDMI Cable (18Gbps) https://www.hdmi.org/spec/premiumcable or an Ultra High Speed Cable (48Gbps) https://www.hdmi.org/spec21Sub/UltraHighSpeedCable .

If you don't care for the certification then all that matters is the 18Gbps and 48Gbps. All other feature names and tech terms are just marketing fluff to make things sound impressive.

Quote:
The whole point is that they exceed 4K specs exponentially...
48Gbps is only 2.67 times 18Gbps. That's hardly exponential.

Quote:
which is the eARC, HDR, and Dolby Vision requirements supported by the B9. All these cable specs exceed any 4K cables sold today...
Other than eARC (the Ethernet channel), there are no specific requirements of the cable for things like HDR10 or Dolby Vision. Every HDMI cable out there can carry HDR10 or Dolby Vision. What resolution and refresh rate they can be used with depends on the bandwidth (18Gbps vs 48Gbps).

Quote:
no one needs to go down the certification rabbit hole.
It's not a rabbit hole, it's a guarantee. If you don't care for it then don't pay extra for it. Others however want to be sure and are willing to pay a few bucks more for it.
post #77 of 89 Old 12-02-2019, 09:19 PM

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 9
So what I gather is tinting is still there on mostly all of the units and it's just as bad as ever. Doesn't sound promising. Why do people buy these if the colors are off and show a tint?
post #78 of 89 Old 12-02-2019, 09:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^both my 65C8 and 77C8 dont have any tinting...ive posted photos in the uniformity thread a while back...it seems it effects the 19's more so than the 18's, just as my 17 Oled was a step back banding wise than my 16.
post #79 of 89 Old 12-03-2019, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post
they are side by side at best buy, the difference in brightness is pretty obvious to me. Vincent Teohs recent reviews show 550nits on the B9, around 200 nits lower than the C9/C8. I don't believe ive seen any C9/C8 measure that low, so im going to assume this B9 was not a "rare" bird in the low end. If you want to claim that best buy intentionally lowers the B9, that's fine, but again the measurements seem to confirm that. Im just curious if its the panel or the power supply. LCD reserves extra brightness for their higher models so it wouldn't surprise me if the same thing happens with OLED tvs. Some people may not care but others may.
LOL. Anyone who thinks displays at Best Buy or any other retailer is set up properly or calibrated is sadly mistaken. They take them out of the box, connect them, and turn them on in the store. Nothing more.

In contrast...having seen calibrated C9 and B9 units in 2 locations (one being CES 20-19 in January)...the difference in imagery is micronic. Yes, there is perhaps a miniscule brightness variation between them...but negligible. The primary difference is the processors inside, and even those ultimately don't make a significant difference in the real world of viewing. There are plenty of online expert reviews that have tested all this thoroughly and reported both statistically and anecdotally. In fact, multiple established experts have said that the difference is so small...the B9 is the better value and the C9 not worth the extra money.

For those Best Buy fans...2 local Magnolia department locations echoed the same sentiments.

Enjoy either one - they're both amazing displays.
post #80 of 89 Old 12-03-2019, 04:12 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 29
On this talk of panel binning, I think some people are trying to make this about dnice but there are lots of sources on the web who say the same about binning. I read up on 3 or 4 forums, on all of them I've heard of panel binning. Phil Hinton of AV forums uk who is the editor there as well as a calibrator was asked the question of panel binning on his podcast and he directly answered it happens. You have LG marketing guys telling you in private that binning occurs but they won't go out and do a press conference about it making a public statement, because the company policy doesn't permit it.
And I don't know why it would be so hard to think that it's some impossible concept, in IT it happens if you have followed intel processors, so why not in electronics?
Binning is not a certification of getting a great panel, but a premium grade panel lowers your chances of getting an unacceptable panel in terms of uniformity. It does not mean there cannot bad A9G's out there. Premium grade panels are used by all manufacturers (lg , sony, philips, panasonic) on their high end models.
ray0414 likes this.
post #81 of 89 Old 12-03-2019, 04:27 AM

Quote:
^if you reported me to the mods...come out and say so...I didn't know disagreeing with you warranted that. I dont run for help when my argument fails...I either accept I was wrong or just disagree...good food for thought.
You’ve lost it. I don’t run to mods so no, I wasn’t the one who reported the interaction in this thread. I have more infractions here than you can remotely imagine. They will tell you that.
post #82 of 89 Old 12-03-2019, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
To me the processor upgrade and price difference was tempting from the B9 to C9 but I also use my displays for display only. I've never been a fan of using the on-board smart features or any other type combination units like modem/wireless routers, etc. I simply use the display for the image while using an external Roku for smart function and a surround system. This has to lessen the workload for the processor, thus freeing up more for the image processing.
post #83 of 89 Old 12-03-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderRodney View Post
To me the processor upgrade and price difference was tempting from the B9 to C9 but I also use my displays for display only. I've never been a fan of using the on-board smart features or any other type combination units like modem/wireless routers, etc. I simply use the display for the image while using an external Roku for smart function and a surround system. This has to lessen the workload for the processor, thus freeing up more for the image processing.
I miss monitor type TVs too. Unfortunately there are no consumer 55/65/77” OLED monitors in the marketplace.
RaiderRodney likes this.
post #84 of 89 Old 12-03-2019, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You’ve lost it. I don’t run to mods so no, I wasn’t the one who reported the interaction in this thread. I have more infractions here than you can remotely imagine. They will tell you that.
Ive lost nothing, you are the one that mentioned the mods in the first place.

Last edited by Cam1977; 12-03-2019 at 11:58 AM.
post #85 of 89 Old 12-03-2019, 05:03 PM

So do most people here have the tinting on their B9 or is it not as bad as its been in the past? Torn between this and a Q80 but if the tinting is still there on most panels then I'll just get the Q80
post #86 of 89 Old 12-04-2019, 05:41 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post
Congrats on your purchase, no need to run slides like you did on your plasma. Just don’t use torch mode and wait until you have 200 hrs before doing a professional calibration if you are planning to and enjoy.
Excellent news, thank you! I plan on setting it up with Rtings settings to begin with and do the eyeball test for a week or so and see how close I am. Anyone on here have recommended settings? I know all panels are different but I've had good luck doing this in the past with my plasmas.
post #87 of 89 Old 12-04-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderRodney View Post
Excellent news, thank you! I plan on setting it up with Rtings settings to begin with and do the eyeball test for a week or so and see how close I am. Anyone on here have recommended settings? I know all panels are different but I've had good luck doing this in the past with my plasmas.

So from the lack of responses, and the one saying similar to the C9, I take it that most of these B9's have some kind of tinting issue. It seemed to be pretty common with the C9's. Not sure why I would want to buy a B9 or LG OLED for that matter where there is pretty nasty tint on half of the screen. Even the glorious Panasonic OLED had the tinting issues. Unless someone can confirm, guess I'll be stuck with a Q80. Trying to pick with what I can live with, worse black levels, or solid colors not showing the same due to tint (and I watch a lot of hockey and football).
post #88 of 89 Old 12-04-2019, 06:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1488 Post(s)
Liked: 1487
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_42 View Post

So from the lack of responses, and the one saying similar to the C9, I take it that most of these B9's have some kind of tinting issue. It seemed to be pretty common with the C9's. Not sure why I would want to buy a B9 or LG OLED for that matter where there is pretty nasty tint on half of the screen. Even the glorious Panasonic OLED had the tinting issues. Unless someone can confirm, guess I'll be stuck with a Q80. Trying to pick with what I can live with, worse black levels, or solid colors not showing the same due to tint (and I watch a lot of hockey and football).
Hi mark, not all panels show tinting, not in my Panasonic OLED anyways & I watch Hockey once in a while as well. You have to pick your poison with TVs and choose what you can live with or prefer.
Cam1977 likes this.

Media room- 65" Panasonic FZ950 OLED, Pioneer Elite VSX-90, Panasonic UBD-820 4K, Klipsch Gallery G28's, Klipsch Sub 12, Klipsch RS-52 II, Optik HD cable

Living room- Sony 4K 79XBRX900B, Onkyo RC-360,HTPC,Klipsch Reference R-62II,Rc52II,PS4
Gaming room -Panasonic ST60, PS3, Wii
post #89 of 89 Old Today, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey guys. Using an LG B9 firmware 04.70.05 and ran into a few bugs with that. I'm looking to downgrade the firmware (found a way to do that) and then manually updating using a USB stick. Does anyone have any older firmware (EPK? file/zip file) for the B9? Would really appreciate it. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page