2019 LG B9 Owner's Thread (No Price Talk) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 30Likes

post #1 of 189 Old 08-24-2019, 01:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
2019 LG B9 Owner's Thread (No Price Talk)

So, because it has a different chipset than C9 and up, it deserves a separate topic.

Here's a review from rtings to jumpstart the discussions:

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/b9-oled
Sonyboy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 189 Old 09-03-2019, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1

A video review of the TV.

I am interested in buying my first OLED next year, in january maybe, when prices of OLED will (hopefully) come down below 1000€ so I am interested in hearing about issues from owners. First not good thing is the original color rendition, which seems to be way off. Calibrated though they are up the top but still, not many people chose to calibrate their TVs
post #3 of 189 Old 09-05-2019, 05:34 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I was really excited when I saw this pop up on Canadian costco. The huge draw to this model for me is it puts the 77" in a price range I would consider. Previously I was looking at either the 65" C9 or a 75" of something like the TCL 8-series, a Vizio PQX or maybe a Q80/90. Although I'm usually one to want the best and newest the trade-offs from the C9 (Alpha 9) to the Alpha 7 Gen 2 look reasonable, and the most important parts like the HDMI 2.1 features are there.

So far the only thing that keeps this from being a perfect 10/10 for me is the peak brightness compared to the C9. It's a couple hundred nits dimmer on the real-world test scenes on RTings. Whether I would even notice in my dark room environment are unknown and I'll be coming from a non-HDR LCD anyway... excited for more reviews and first owners to start rolling in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 189 Old 10-10-2019, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Dolby vision

I just got a B9 and am happy with it so far. Using the RTings setttings.

I know the recommended settings for DV are Cinema, but I find that some movies (Goodfellas in DV, for example) are too dark in some scenes. But then Cinema Home seems almost too bright.

Any thoughts on this? What do most use for DV?

Thanks.
post #5 of 189 Old 10-17-2019, 11:44 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Picked a 65 B9 up at the week-end.
Very happy with it, definite improvement over my previous B7.
Just having the usual LG ARC issues
post #6 of 189 Old 11-05-2019, 08:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Target problem

Tonight I went to target to buy the LG OLED55B9PUA (B9), after looking online and seeing it was available at my local store,

I got the TV home to find it was actually OLED55B8PUA (B8), which was last year's model. I look at my receipt and type the sku into their website and it takes me to the B9. I look on the site and can't find the B8 anywhere. I call the store and they tell me B8s are the only ones they carry. I call another store and get told the same thing. I basically paid this year's price for last year's model.

Has anyone else ran into this? Does this seem like false advertising?

Last edited by lockheede; 11-06-2019 at 01:05 PM.
post #7 of 189 Old 11-06-2019, 03:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Return it. east peasy. You also listed the new version number in the second paragraph as a B8. Target listing header is wrong but the UPC on the page is correct for the B8. Most retailers have outs for listing errors.

From a link at the bottom of the page:

Despite these efforts, a small number of items on the Site may be mispriced, described inaccurately or unavailable, and we may experience delays in updating information on the Site and in our advertising on other sites. As a result, we cannot and do not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information, including prices, product images, specifications, availability and services, including for items sold by Target Plus Partners. Target, or Target’s Plus Partners, reserve the right to change or update information and to correct errors, inaccuracies or omissions at any time without prior notice. We apologize for any inconvenience.

You would have to show a deliberate bait and switch to reap any sort of reward here... which appears to be what you're looking for. Have fun with that.

Would have thought this may have given you a hint when you picked it up. Even the brown cardboard cartons have model #s .

Last edited by js950; 11-06-2019 at 03:56 AM.
post #8 of 189 Old 11-06-2019, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1547 Post(s)
Liked: 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockheede View Post
Tonight I went to target to buy the LG OLED55B9PUA (B9), after looking online and seeing it was available at my local store,

I got the TV home to find it was actually OLED55B9PUA (B8), which was last year's model. I look at my receipt and type the sku into their website and it takes me to the B9. I look on the site and can't find the B8 anywhere. I call the store and they tell me B8s are the only ones they carry. I call another store and get told the same thing. I basically paid this year's price for last year's model.

Has anyone else ran into this? Does this seem like false advertising?
So the webpage says B9, has the specs of a B9 (α7 Gen 2, Airplay support, etc, none of which the B8 has), has wrong aspect ratio (says 16:10), but has the UPC of a B8. So the only thing on that page that says B8 rather than B9 is the UPC. The specs and name are for B9. Only the UPC is wrong for a B9.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
post #9 of 189 Old 11-06-2019, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by js950 View Post
Return it. east peasy. You also listed the new version number in the second paragraph as a B8. Target listing header is wrong but the UPC on the page is correct for the B8. Most retailers have outs for listing errors.

From a link at the bottom of the page:

Despite these efforts, a small number of items on the Site may be mispriced, described inaccurately or unavailable, and we may experience delays in updating information on the Site and in our advertising on other sites. As a result, we cannot and do not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information, including prices, product images, specifications, availability and services, including for items sold by Target Plus Partners. Target, or Target’s Plus Partners, reserve the right to change or update information and to correct errors, inaccuracies or omissions at any time without prior notice. We apologize for any inconvenience.

You would have to show a deliberate bait and switch to reap any sort of reward here... which appears to be what you're looking for. Have fun with that.

Would have thought this may have given you a hint when you picked it up. Even the brown cardboard cartons have model #s .

You are correct about that, but I had called ahead on it and they had it ready for me, and they loaded it into my car. It never dawned on me that they would be giving me a completely wrong product that no longer appeared on their website.
post #10 of 189 Old 11-06-2019, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsorensen View Post
So the webpage says B9, has the specs of a B9 (α7 Gen 2, Airplay support, etc, none of which the B8 has), has wrong aspect ratio (says 16:10), but has the UPC of a B8. So the only thing on that page that says B8 rather than B9 is the UPC. The specs and name are for B9. Only the UPC is wrong for a B9.
I think the UPCs are probably different. I think Target's assigned SKU is the problem. As in they didn't use a different one for the newer model.
post #11 of 189 Old 11-06-2019, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1547 Post(s)
Liked: 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockheede View Post
I think the UPCs are probably different. I think Target's assigned SKU is the problem. As in they didn't use a different one for the newer model.
Well someone edited the page to say B9, have the specs of a B9, but has the UPC of a B8 and apparently they are providing people with a B8. Someone really messed up at target.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
post #12 of 189 Old 11-06-2019, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Settings?

Do we have any good picture settings to use for our B9’s?

The B7 thread had lots of great data to use for all types of inputs. Rtings doesn’t go into much detail, especially for streaming and HDR gaming.

Will C9 settings work?

-Staple
post #13 of 189 Old 11-10-2019, 05:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staple View Post
Do we have any good picture settings to use for our B9’s?

The B7 thread had lots of great data to use for all types of inputs. Rtings doesn’t go into much detail, especially for streaming and HDR gaming.

Will C9 settings work?

-Staple
First post here but longtime lurker... I just ordered the 65" B9 and just awaiting shipment of it. I wrestled between this and the Sony A8G because I do tend to like Sony's color straight out of the box, but the HDMI 2.1 on all 4 inputs swayed me over. Can't wait to get it!
dan951 likes this.
post #14 of 189 Old 11-10-2019, 07:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrhooah View Post
First post here but longtime lurker... I just ordered the 65" B9 and just awaiting shipment of it. I wrestled between this and the Sony A8G because I do tend to like Sony's color straight out of the box, but the HDMI 2.1 on all 4 inputs swayed me over. Can't wait to get it!
LG's performance in HDR and DV will be worth it.
nrhooah likes this.

Sony 65 A9F, LG 65 E9
post #15 of 189 Old 11-11-2019, 05:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
So I picked up the C9 and I love it!

I am however having issues with the remote. I am trying to get it to control my AVR (Denon). I can control the volume, and also can bring up the AVR menu, but I can not figure out how I would change the source. Is this possible with this "magic" remote?

Last edited by ParityBit; 11-11-2019 at 06:02 AM.
post #16 of 189 Old 11-13-2019, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I am thinking of getting the 55 inch OLED55C9AUA at Costco. It will just fit in the slot between bookcases.

I am picking it because I do not want a bright screen (migraine trigger) and, I think, with OLED, it can be dimmed and white point reduced but will handle dark scenes better than QLED or LED sets. Dark scenes are the remaining problem with dimmed screens for those not wanting their brains blown out by flat screen brightness. New digital cinema cameras are used in such low light for production now, dimmed screens means you loose a lot in dark, dark scenes.

- So that is my first question: all things being equal, is an OLED pretty much the best option for my situation (wanting an adjustable to darker screen image with good shadow detail)? This is about 3X more expensive than I wanted to spend. Maybe there is an LED that would be good instead and has good dimming capabilities?

- What does it mean that it has Alexa? It does not have Fire TV, but if I plug in a Fire TV stick, will I be able to voice control that, like I can with a Cube (I already have but will go upstairs with old TV)?

- Will the A9 units have Airplay added to them?

Thanks
post #17 of 189 Old 11-16-2019, 05:21 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'm hesitant about getting into 4k sans 3D. If I pull the trigger on this, and LG or another brand includes 3D in future models, I'll be kicking myself. Any chance of 3D happening with 4K?

post #18 of 189 Old 11-16-2019, 06:46 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Just bought 55 b9 on amazon.ca. 800 dollars off. I had a b6 and it's been ruined by burn in.
post #19 of 189 Old 11-16-2019, 12:00 PM

Do we need to break these TVs in like plasmas?
post #20 of 189 Old 11-18-2019, 07:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Mounted my B9 tonight and can honestly say I have never been happier with a TV purchase in my life. I normally nitpick and find things that I don't like but so far I love this thing! Ran through a bunch of different shows and movies that I had just watched on my previous LED and wow what a difference.

Going off of the settings Rtings suggested and I like what I see. Now, to get it calibrated and I'll be set!
MoshuXXL likes this.
post #21 of 189 Old 11-19-2019, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca Cold View Post
You want to run it for about 200 hours before calibrating it.
nrhooah likes this.
post #22 of 189 Old 11-19-2019, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi6807 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca Cold View Post
You want to run it for about 200 hours before calibrating it.
Thanks. TV looks incredible. Especially in hdr.

Another question for y'all:

I've put my address in the tv but Alexa still says I dont know your address when I ask the weather. Dont know how to tell her.

Anyone know?
post #23 of 189 Old 11-19-2019, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Got he tv, love it, but watching the Mandalorian, and in the Dolby vision cinema home settings, it’s a bit dark... what are the recommended settings?
post #24 of 189 Old 11-19-2019, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugout Doug View Post
Got he tv, love it, but watching the Mandalorian, and in the Dolby vision cinema home settings, it’️s a bit dark... what are the recommended settings?
Mines a bit dark too. A little black crush. Would love to have a pro calibration but Ugh so expensive.
post #25 of 189 Old 11-20-2019, 08:59 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Just ordered a B9 this week to upgrade a Samsung NU8000 and it's enroute. <excited>

I keep reading reviews of the C9 and wondered if the few hundred ($300CDN) I saved was worth it?

I'm going to be exclusively AppleTV+ (Apple rentals also), Disney+ and Netflix through a 4K AppleTV box. So most content is 4k going forward. No cable TV. Will the C9 processor really make that much of a difference? I'm not up converting much.
post #26 of 189 Old 11-20-2019, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 6
One difference that LG seems to confirm is the Alpha 7 gen 2 chipset does not support 4K HDR at 120hz (only in SDR) at 4K HDR is limited to 60Hz output.

Flatpanels mentioned it and LG rep on their site confirms it.

Who does this make a different too, well for the most part high end gamers who target 120Hz output so stick with the C9 if that matters.
post #27 of 189 Old 11-20-2019, 01:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbD7000 View Post
One difference that LG seems to confirm is the Alpha 7 gen 2 chipset does not support 4K HDR at 120hz (only in SDR) at 4K HDR is limited to 60Hz output.

Flatpanels mentioned it and LG rep on their site confirms it.

Who does this make a different too, well for the most part high end gamers who target 120Hz output so stick with the C9 if that matters.
Thanks...I don't game so it looks like all will be amazing. I struggled with the OLED vs larger 900F debate. I was willing to spend more for Q80R (good enough vs OLED) too to get 75" but the lack of Dolby Vision on Samsung was a deal breaker. 77" OLED was definitely out of budget.

So I saved with the B9 and will enjoy it for 2-3 years when 77" will hopefully drop enough and I'll move the B9 to another room to replace the 1080p Plasma.

I liked balanced upgrades so saving a little on the B9 is ok since I splurged on a full 5.1.2 Atmos setup upgrade this month.

Last edited by poopiehead; 11-21-2019 at 01:35 PM.
post #28 of 189 Old 11-21-2019, 03:06 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 137
The best settings for the set are to use the sets default ones from ISF Day/Night for SDR or Cinema Home or Cinema for HDR/DV, you can't use anyone else's settings as all panels differ, what may be right on RTIngs set may be well off on your own.

My advice is to get 300+ hours on it and pay out for an ISF trained calibrator to come and do their stuff on it, then it will be right for your set.
nrhooah likes this.
post #29 of 189 Old 11-21-2019, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Any of you guys having problems with Alexa/echo turning the Tv on? Worked yesterday after initial setup, but now Alexa will only turn the TV off...but she cant turn it in... seems like a common issue, anyone find a fix?

Edit: solved you cant change wifi networks and have the tv power on via alexa, it will still power off but the wake on wifi wont work again if you modify your TV wifi network after setup. Changing it back didnt fix, had to run through setup again. Basically the TV wake on wifi doesnt play well with multiple subnets or any network change really.

Last edited by OrLED; 11-21-2019 at 11:13 PM.
post #30 of 189 Old 11-21-2019, 05:34 PM

Anybody recommend some home vibration software with light meter? Something that's better than a disc/professional and relatively affordable. Calman etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
KS8000 , lg b9 , oled

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page