Question Who makes OLED Panel Globally? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By AnalogHD

post #1 of 11 Old 09-05-2019, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Post Question Who makes OLED Panels Globally?

With such a surge in OLED Displays (even Amazon is rumored to offer a OLED Fire TV for Holiday 2019) I was curious who is making these OLED Panels because like RAM it’s a commodity only so much can be made by so many fabs world wide. Especially now that LG Display has opened their new plant in Guangzhou, China and their plant in Paju, Korea these are well known. And AUO is scaling up its OLED SKUs as well.

Can we compile a list of OLED manufacturing plants using all our combined info.

Kinda found this on my own but please add to this thread some thing that maybe missing or extra info.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List..._manufacturers

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14802...ch-4kp120-oled

P.S. please leave out the U.S. based boutique OLED manufacturers who can make a 2 inch by 2 inch panel promising huge breakthroughs show it off at CES and never be heard from again. (They are just hoping to get bought out FYI)

Last edited by Ice Cold; 09-05-2019 at 06:41 AM. Reason: spelling errorrs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-05-2019, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1445 Post(s)
Liked: 829
My understanding is that LG displays makes TV sizes panels (55, 65 and 77 inch 4K and 88 inch 8K). JOLED makes monitor sizes (22 or so inch size), and I believe everyone else just makes tablet and cell phone or wearable size screens (Mostly AMOLED or PMOLED). Samsung is talking about maybe trying to make some TV sizes panels in a couple of years.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
post #3 of 11 Old 09-05-2019, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 505
LG Display holds an exclusive set of patents to WOLED technology, which is currently the only proven way to make practical TV-sized OLED. So all modern TV OLED panels are produced by LG.

Since this is a TV forum, that currently makes for a list of 1.

Off-topic, 95% or so of cell phone panels (pentile RGBG) are produced by Samsung, with a minority held by LG pOLED. All laptop OLED are Samsung. Premium small OLED for smart watches, using active matrix (AMOLED) are produced by LG (Apple's supplier) and Samsung (for their own products).

The rest are boutique. Sony has or used to have some RGB OLED production in the 20-30" range for their reference monitors only. JOLED is just starting up. Small 1-2" OLED are mostly passive (PMOLED), easy to make, usually monochrome, and produced by a number of generic electronics component manufacturers.
anwsmh likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 09-05-2019, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 49
If amazon makes a fire oled tv it would be cheap I hope they do it.
post #5 of 11 Old 09-05-2019, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogHD View Post
LG Display holds an exclusive set of patents to WOLED technology, which is currently the only proven way to make practical TV-sized OLED. So all modern TV OLED panels are produced by LG.

Off-topic, 95% or so of cell phone panels (pentile RGBG) are produced by Samsung, with a minority held by LG pOLED. All laptop OLED are Samsung. Premium small OLED for smart watches, using active matrix (AMOLED) are produced by LG (Apple's supplier) and Samsung (for their own products).

The rest are boutique. Sony has or used to have some RGB OLED production in the 20-30" range for their reference monitors only. JOLED is just starting up. Small 1-2" OLED are mostly passive (PMOLED), easy to make, usually monochrome, and produced by a number of generic electronics component manufacturers.
Thank you, you are very well informed and 100% right about Samsung making all Laptop OLEDs. I wonder how that happened and you don’t see any burn in complaints on Laptop OLEDs.
post #6 of 11 Old 09-05-2019, 07:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by picturequality View Post
If amazon makes a fire oled tv it would be cheap I hope they do it.

I find it highly unlikely that Amazon would enter the manufacturing business by purchasing or building an OLED panel manufacturing facility.
post #7 of 11 Old 09-05-2019, 07:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Liked: 261
How did you guys miss this?

https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/4/20...ig-toshiba-jvc

Europe only
post #8 of 11 Old 09-06-2019, 12:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post

Europe only
Yep, Amazon is partnering with Grundig. If they sell well in Europe, maybe they partner with Vizio in the States down the road?

Sony 65A1E
LG 65EF9500
LG 55EG9100
Samsung 60F8500
LG UP870 Multi-Region
post #9 of 11 Old 09-06-2019, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cold View Post
Thank you, you are very well informed and 100% right about Samsung making all Laptop OLEDs. I wonder how that happened and you don’t see any burn in complaints on Laptop OLEDs.
I've heard a few laptop BI complaints.

These RGB OLED without any anti-BI processing are much more susceptible to BI than TV WOLED panels.
Their saving graces are:
1) Until mid 2019 (basically yesterday), the only two OLED laptops were Yoga X1 and Alienware R13. Both very niche (gaming laptops generally want at least 15") and very rare.
2) As for 2019 models, BI takes time to develop.
3) With some old/2D/special exceptions, which don't call for high-end gaming laptops in any case, most games are BI-safe.
4) Pixel aging BI is much less noticeable, when at all, on a smaller screen.
post #10 of 11 Old 09-06-2019, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post

Europe only
Thank you for this, all I can say is Australia and Europe only get the OLED, all I could thing was GRUNDIG, Really GRUNDIG ?
I guess it’s a Europe thing, like here We owned when I was a kid, Oster, and Sanyo CRT TVs
post #11 of 11 Old 09-16-2019, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogHD View Post

The crazy thing is the LG bought all the patents for WOLED design architecture from Kodak for $100 million in 2009. Now every single OLED TV comes from an LG panel. I cannot even imagine how much money LG has made off that investment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page