Are any of the new panel types manufactured between 40" and 46"? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 09-25-2019, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Are any of the new panel types manufactured between 40" and 46"?

Since 2014, I've been using a Samsung PN43F4500 (I think that's the model) 43" plasma. Between 4K/UHD, HDR, and HDCP 2.2, I am thinking about an upgrade. Are any OLED panels being manufactured between 40" and 46" What about QLED? If not, I'll stick with my HP Spectre x360 15.6" OLED laptop because I really don't want to give up HDCP 2.2 or picture quality if none of the TVs between 40" and 46" have good 4K/UHD and HDR performance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-25-2019, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Smallest OLEDs are still 55". Next year might see LG release a 48", but nothing confirmed. 48" OLED has been confirmed for "some point in 2020" by LG's vice president.

QLED isn't really a "new panel type" - it's just VA LCD with better backlighting and a few other improvements - but they are some of the best LCDs currently available. While not as good as the top of the range QLEDs, the Q60R is still pretty decent and comes in sizes down to 43". Rtings calls it the best TV in that range.

Last edited by subtec; 09-25-2019 at 09:35 AM.
post #3 of 8 Old 09-25-2019, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtec View Post
Smallest OLEDs are still 55". Next year might see LG release a 48", but nothing confirmed.

QLED isn't really a "new panel type" - it's just VA LCD with better backlighting and a few other improvements - but they are some of the best LCDs currently available. While not as good as the top of the range QLEDs, the Q60R is still pretty decent and comes in sizes down to 43". Rtings calls it the best TV in that range.
https://www.techradar.com/amp/news/l...coming-in-2020
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 09-25-2019, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airikay View Post
Right, I retract my statement. According to the article:

"LG vice president Oh Chang-ho confirmed that the 48-inch size was planned for release at some point in 2020"
post #5 of 8 Old 09-25-2019, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtec View Post
Right, I retract my statement. According to the article:

"LG vice president Oh Chang-ho confirmed that the 48-inch size was planned for release at some point in 2020"
In order for me to install the TV, the set would have to have a height no greater than 27.5". But even if it exists now and I could install it, my current situation doesn't allow me to experience home theater with the flexibility, standards and potential required for me to fully enjoy it. But considering they might start making smaller OLED TVs, I might start saving for an all 4K/UHD system including TV, A/V receiver, and Blu-ray player. Meanwhile, my HP Spectre x360 15.6" OLED laptop allows me the combination of flexibility and standards, as well as the bonus of portability to enjoy audio and video in my current situation. They say good things come to those who wait. Considering the flexibility, as long as I have quality headphones and an OLED screen, sometimes I wonder if I'd even get back into home theater again. But thank you all for your replies.
post #6 of 8 Old 09-25-2019, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kelly View Post
In order for me to install the TV, the set would have to have a height no greater than 27.5".
Theres a good chance a 48 inch OLED wouldn't have a height greater than 27.5" as long as the stand isn't stupidly tall. The C currently adds 1.3". I would say the TV itself will have a height around 25".
post #7 of 8 Old 09-25-2019, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airikay View Post
Theres a good chance a 48 inch OLED wouldn't have a height greater than 27.5" as long as the stand isn't stupidly tall. The C currently adds 1.3". I would say the TV itself will have a height around 25".
Do you think they'll sell a 48" version of the C, or limit the 48" size to just their B with an inferior processor to keep costs low?

Best,
Mike
post #8 of 8 Old 09-26-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinsDC View Post
Do you think they'll sell a 48" version of the C, or limit the 48" size to just their B with an inferior processor to keep costs low?

Best,
Mike
I want to say the C would get it. Right now it's the only OLED that covers the entire range of sizes(55,65,77), not accounting for the 8k size. In previous years the difference between the B and C was just that the B was the warehouse model(i.e. Costco), not that it was actually inferior. This it getting a lower processor only started last year. Also, it seems now that they're launching it at a later date than the other main models. So unless the 48" isn't out until the second half of the year I would imagine the C would get it, unless of course they just give it a new model code.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page