Panasonic GZ1500/1000/950 Owners Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #31 of 53 Old 11-19-2019, 08:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wozman View Post
Ditto,

I purchased mine tonight (65GZ1000) at the local Visions store. Being delivered tomorrow afternoon/evening. Can't wait.

I already have a receiver and 5.2.4 setup of Atmos, so I don't need the sound bar, that the GZ2000 offers, I understand that it may have some other perks but not worth the extra $$$$$ in my books.
Nice. Yes, I was flip-flopping on the 55 or 65. I have decided on the 65. I as well have a sound system, not as up to date as yours. I like the clean look of the GZ1000.
Now I just need to pull the trigger. I am in no rush to get it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 53 Old 11-22-2019, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
We also have the Panasonic GZ1000, GZ1500 and GZ2000 here in New Zealand (GZ950 not available here).

Closing in on Black Friday sales and the 55" GZ1000 is at a great price. I am hoping for a good deal on the GZ1000 65" model. Even if I have to wait until the Boxing Day/New Year sales.

I have read nothing but excellent reviews on the GZ series, and, as others have said; unless you need the audio upgrade that the GZ2000 brings....go for one of the cheaper options.
post #33 of 53 Old 11-23-2019, 06:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_42 View Post
Why can't they figure out this tinting with off axis viewing thing. Great tv but likely going back as half my screen shows a red tint when viewing from off centre and the placement changes with where you sit. Really thought they could have this figured out by now. Same with LG, thry are all like this
I’ve noticed the 77 models do not have any tint issues. I really wish Panasonic did a 77 this year. Then we could get no tint issues and better dark uniformity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 53 Old 11-27-2019, 01:03 PM

Liked: 13
Anyone in Canada got hold of a GZ2000? I’ve been waiting for mine for over a month and still no sign
post #35 of 53 Old 12-01-2019, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hi, I am going to be buying the GZ1000 along with the UB820 4k blu ray player. Does the tv and blu ray player both have the same HDR tone mapping optimizer ? Just wondering which one to have do the processing for my blu rays.

Thanks
post #36 of 53 Old 12-01-2019, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by wozman View Post
Ditto,

I purchased mine tonight (65GZ1000) at the local Visions store. Being delivered tomorrow afternoon/evening. Can't wait.

I already have a receiver and 5.2.4 setup of Atmos, so I don't need the sound bar, that the GZ2000 offers, I understand that it may have some other perks but not worth the extra $$$$$ in my books.
Hi Wozman, have you setup your A/V gear yet?
wozman likes this.

Media room- 65" Panasonic FZ950 OLED, Pioneer Elite VSX-90, Panasonic UBD-820 4K, Klipsch Gallery G28's, Klipsch Sub 12, Klipsch RS-52 II, Optik HD cable

Living room- Sony 4K 79XBRX900B, Onkyo RC-360,HTPC,Klipsch Reference R-62II,Rc52II,PS4
Gaming room -Panasonic ST60, PS3, Wii
post #37 of 53 Old 12-02-2019, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post
Hi Wozman, have you setup your A/V gear yet?
Yes I have, Outstanding picture quality, Mind you I am coming from a Pioneer Kuro (2009) and then my Panasonic ST60 (2013), and I am so glad I went with the 65" screen as well. One hiccup tho, my receiver only 3-4 years old Pioneer Elite SC-95 doesn't output Dolby Vision, and I don't feel to keen on shelling out big bucks already for the upgrade. Maybe I can sell this unit and upgrade down the road, but would need a 9 channel receiver as its replacement and would like it to be a Pioneer Elite again. Cross that bridge later, HOWEVER luckily enough I upgraded my 4K player last year to the Oppo-203 right when it was being discontinued. The Oppo has allot of inputs etc. giving me a HDMI-IN (more on that later) and (2) HDMI-OUTs helps me bypass the Receiver and send the picture signal directly to the GZ1000 into the HDMI-2 slot and the second HDMI-OUT on the Oppo goes to my Receiver for the audio, and gives me the Dolby Atmos. So I am covered when it comes to physical media for now, and man does the Dolby Vision / HDR10 / HDR10+ picture look great, (tried all of my physical discs that I have for that support) straight out of the box, no professional calibration needed so far.......maybe I look into that down the road. This past weekend (about 2 weeks of use so far) I wanted to try steaming some Disney+ and see how it would look but needed a streaming device and Panasonic doesn't have it built in unfortunately so I have been reviewing Stream boxes and Stream Sticks for some time, and decided to bite the bullet and got the Apple TV 4K, took me some time to get the proper connections and settings etc. as my receiver won't output Dolby Vision, but as mentioned above my Oppo has the HDMI-IN on it, so I plugged the ATV4K into it, the Dolby Vision and HDR from Disney+ streaming was better then I ever expected, one glitch is I can't seem to get or figure out how to tell the ATV4K to get Dolby Atmos Sound. Can't have it all I Guess, best solution would be a Receiver replacement but can't afford that at the moment. So I am getting PCM or 5.1 stereo sound when streaming from my Apple TV 4K.

Does anyone have any suggestions on View Settings? or preferances that they like. Have any other owners got there displays pro-calibrated? looking forward to hear anyone else's reviews etc.

One question I have so far is the "maintenance" of the screen. I notice when I turn off the display after watching for over 3-4 hours, that a orange light turns on (at the on/off light) guess its doing some background maintenance, to prevent image retention or burn in. Is this true?
Latinoheat likes this.

Media Room: 65" Panasonic GZ1000 OLED, Pioneer Elite SC-95, Oppo UDP-203, Panasonic DMP-UB400, HTPC, PS4, AppleTV4K, Pioneer Andrew Jones Series Speakers plus Subs (Atmos Ready 5.2.4)
Living Room: 50" Pioneer Kuro Plasma PDP-5020FD, Pioneer VSX-1326-k, Panasonic BDT-360, PS3, Bose Acoustimass 6 Series(5.1)
post #38 of 53 Old 12-02-2019, 06:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banner23 View Post
Hi, I am going to be buying the GZ1000 along with the UB820 4k blu ray player. Does the tv and blu ray player both have the same HDR tone mapping optimizer ? Just wondering which one to have do the processing for my blu rays.

Thanks
Both has it. You only need to use one. When I had the UB820 (returned mine a couple of weeks ago due to white dots), I used LG's E9 tone mapping. It worked amazingly well. You can try turning on and off on both the tv and player and choose which of the two you prefer.

Sony 65 A9F, LG 65 E9
post #39 of 53 Old 12-07-2019, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
LIPSYNC ISSUES:

Folks I just bought a 65Gz1000u to replace the old venerable plasma, and I'm having huge lip sync issues which I never had with the plasma or the current epson projector (both 1080P).
I'm running various sources, including a OSMC based Vero box running kodi that I run most things on, including the netflix app.
The receiver is a denon avr-4520 (HDMI 1.4a).

Now, it seems as if I have a 300msec-ish delay in video, no matter if (static, 1.4a) auto lipsync is turned on or off in the receiver. Conversing with panasonic, they tell me that the tv uses dynamic lip sync from the newer HDMI 2.0 spec and that there is no requirement for it to be backwards compatible. Cop out????

Even the built in netflix app through the TV's OWN speakers has a delay too.
It's annoying me so much I'm about to return it.
post #40 of 53 Old 12-10-2019, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingkiwi View Post
LIPSYNC ISSUES:

Folks I just bought a 65Gz1000u to replace the old venerable plasma, and I'm having huge lip sync issues which I never had with the plasma or the current epson projector (both 1080P).
I'm running various sources, including a OSMC based Vero box running kodi that I run most things on, including the netflix app.
The receiver is a denon avr-4520 (HDMI 1.4a).

Now, it seems as if I have a 300msec-ish delay in video, no matter if (static, 1.4a) auto lipsync is turned on or off in the receiver. Conversing with panasonic, they tell me that the tv uses dynamic lip sync from the newer HDMI 2.0 spec and that there is no requirement for it to be backwards compatible. Cop out????

Even the built in netflix app through the TV's OWN speakers has a delay too.
It's annoying me so much I'm about to return it.
I'm sure you can set set-up sound delay in your AVR. I had to do that for both: my old Sony hx923 and my new gz950 as well, for example for apple tv +150ms. I have auto lip sync" option on in my AVR but obviously it doesn't work very well
post #41 of 53 Old 12-10-2019, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
No, it only has lip sync on and off. I can set a delay in my Vero 4K but only for that source obviously.
post #42 of 53 Old 12-14-2019, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Panasonic GZ1000 flickering with LG Blu ray player

I've got a new Panasonic GZ1000 .I'm using a Denon AVR3311ci as the switcher .My question is my LG Bluray player on the home screen and with Netflix flickers and flashes why ? What setting could I change to stop it ? Or could it be the player. Thanks

I LOVE my Runco LS-1 and not just because my wife says I do.
Runco LS-1 Projector 84" screen https://www.avsforum.com/t/1464518/list-yo...
Denon AVR-3311CI Receiver Oppo BDP-103 Bluray player
Tannoy Di-5 Rears RockSolid Front channel Rogers LS5 Fronts REL-T3 Subwoofer
Panasonic GZ1000 55" OLED REL-T3 Subwoofer
post #43 of 53 Old 12-26-2019, 09:40 AM

Hi, just got the 65 inch GZ1000, my previous tv was the Panasonic ST60. It's a huge difference to me in picture quality, there was a Star Wars movie on and even thou the broadcast was in 720P, it looked a lot sharper than what I had seen before. The brightness is a huge improvement over plasma, I watched a little of the 4k Aquaman blu ray, the HDR looks great compared to a normal blu ray.

If you are a plasma owner, this tv will be worth the upgrade.
wozman likes this.
post #44 of 53 Old 12-26-2019, 10:02 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 138
My dealer is now discounting the GZ1000 more than the LG C9, manufacturer price indicates higher, but dealer price after discount has the GZ1000 cheaper than the LG C9 and much cheaper than the sony A9G, I'm just resisting the urge as it's very close to CES now. Any news of 120hz BFI and hdmi 2.1 on the next year's models, then I'll repent if I got the GZ1000 right now.
post #45 of 53 Old 12-26-2019, 10:04 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Hi, just got the 65 inch GZ1000, my previous tv was the Panasonic ST60. It's a huge difference to me in picture quality, there was a Star Wars movie on and even thou the broadcast was in 720P, it looked a lot sharper than what I had seen before. The brightness is a huge improvement over plasma, I watched a little of the 4k Aquaman blu ray, the HDR looks great compared to a normal blu ray.

Certainly not the motion, the ST60 was and is much smoother in motion.
Bejas likes this.
post #46 of 53 Old 12-26-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysa_105 View Post
Certainly not the motion, the ST60 was and is much smoother in motion.
I couldn't see any difference
post #47 of 53 Old 12-27-2019, 06:13 AM

Hi, I have a Panasonic UB820 attached to my GZ1000. When playing blu rays in 4:3, the tv won't let me change the aspect ratio to stretch the picture. It works for cable but not blu rays. Does anyone else have this problem ?

Thanks
post #48 of 53 Old 12-28-2019, 06:40 AM

I am having a problem with my GZ1000. I have a cable box and an avr, I am using HDMI cables to attach them. I can only get stereo sound when watching tv, will not get digital, does anyone else have this problem ? I have a blu ray attached and it works fine, my old Panasonic tv had no problems either. I know the tv is the problem, I am using HDMI 1 on the back of the tv, when I do that I am getting a picture and stereo sound, I switched to HDMI 2 I obviously get no picture but the sound is now coming in digital.

Thanks
post #49 of 53 Old 12-28-2019, 09:19 AM

Liked: 24
Picked up a 55” GZ1000 for a bedroom tv and pretty impressed so far. The screen seems very uniform overall, not seeing any vertical bands on the slides I am using. Coming from a Pioneer 50” 5080 720p tv.
wozman likes this.
post #50 of 53 Old 12-29-2019, 09:55 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
it depends on what Plasma tv you have and also what you watch and how you watch it.
There are Plasma tvs then there is the 500M.
two different leagues there.

i have just got my GZ950 back
it was lent out for 3 months
fired it up today again and the picture still looks like an LCD with slight better contrast.

Either the 500M or the 500A Limited Edition will be up again.
cant decide which one yet

A tip for plasma owners who wants an new tv.
you are downgrading natural glowing light to worse quality LED light.
think about it.
compare the light from your incandescent bulbs (if you have any) to your LED lamps.
its the same difference in color rendering comparing Plasma tvs and today LED light based tvs.

Quality light draws power and produces heat you cant get away with it.
post #51 of 53 Old 01-05-2020, 09:24 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
I am having a problem with my GZ1000. I have a cable box and an avr, I am using HDMI cables to attach them. I can only get stereo sound when watching tv, will not get digital, does anyone else have this problem ? I have a blu ray attached and it works fine, my old Panasonic tv had no problems either. I know the tv is the problem, I am using HDMI 1 on the back of the tv, when I do that I am getting a picture and stereo sound, I switched to HDMI 2 I obviously get no picture but the sound is now coming in digital.

Thanks
Check your cable box settings if it’s Bell than you should be able to change from stereo to surround in the audio settings of your pvr.

LG Oled 65B7P
Anthem MRX 510 receiver , Furman elite
Paradigm Millenia 300 fronts
Paradigm Millenia 30 Center,Mordaunt-Short ADP
PSA XS15se sub, Oppo udp 203, PS4, Bell PVR Fibe tv, ATV 4K
post #52 of 53 Old 01-06-2020, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I own a 55GZ954 since november and I'm very content with it. In my opinion it has the best (most natural looking) image from all the OLED offerings from Philips, LG and Sony that I was able to view in my region. It's also the least expensive of them all.

However, somehow I got paranoid about the life expentancy of OLED screens.

I rarely, if ever, watch HDR-content and do normal day-to-day viewing, for some two to three hours at a time, 4-5 days a week. If that. Occasional gaming, for no more than a fe hours at a time.
I've turned off the auto-contrast feature and set OLED brightness to 55.
This is pleny bright for any viewing but broad-daylight. I'm completely blow away by the images this thing conjures up. In my opinion it's way better the more expensive Philips 55OLED904, that one of my friends bought after he saw mine.

Since most programmes contain more dark areas than really bright ones, I suspect the OLEDS aren't asked to work very hard with these settings. Will they age anyway? Or will they just age and deteriorate under stress?

Is it justfied to worry about my tv lasting more than, say, five years? Even though my OLED tv was "cheap", I really wouldn't want to have to deal with any issues. I hear/read people complain about uniformity issues, image retention, dirty screen effect, diminishing peak brightness, etc. Despite the multiple tests that were done by HDTVtest and RTINGS and the like, what's your experience, if you have owned an OLED tv in the past?

Thanks!
post #53 of 53 Old 01-06-2020, 01:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2469 Post(s)
Liked: 1430
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesblond View Post
I own a 55GZ954 since november and I'm very content with it. In my opinion it has the best (most natural looking) image from all the OLED offerings from Philips, LG and Sony that I was able to view in my region. It's also the least expensive of them all.

However, somehow I got paranoid about the life expentancy of OLED screens.

I rarely, if ever, watch HDR-content and do normal day-to-day viewing, for some two to three hours at a time, 4-5 days a week. If that. Occasional gaming, for no more than a fe hours at a time.
I've turned off the auto-contrast feature and set OLED brightness to 55.
This is pleny bright for any viewing but broad-daylight. I'm completely blow away by the images this thing conjures up. In my opinion it's way better the more expensive Philips 55OLED904, that one of my friends bought after he saw mine.

Since most programmes contain more dark areas than really bright ones, I suspect the OLEDS aren't asked to work very hard with these settings. Will they age anyway? Or will they just age and deteriorate under stress?

Is it justfied to worry about my tv lasting more than, say, five years? Even though my OLED tv was "cheap", I really wouldn't want to have to deal with any issues. I hear/read people complain about uniformity issues, image retention, dirty screen effect, diminishing peak brightness, etc. Despite the multiple tests that were done by HDTVtest and RTINGS and the like, what's your experience, if you have owned an OLED tv in the past?

Thanks!
There is a thread for OLED owners with more than 10.000 hours.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...your-oled.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page