best oled for OTA..plasma fried..need help deciding quickly - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 17Likes

post #1 of 128 Old 10-21-2019, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 2
best oled for OTA..plasma fried..need help deciding quickly

you cannot search by the term OTA so sorry if its been discussed. my plasma just got fried. (i held the power button in while plugging it in and my UPS was so not happy)

my sole source is OTA (or other shows from the web uploaded from my laptop) thru my tivo premiere and it has been excellent for me

i only just started researching oled but my understanding is that scaling is my issue. i need a tv with a good scaler. ill never be paying for 4K source and OTA 4K is years away in my market. so i need a good 1080/720 scaler on a 65 inch tv that is viewed 13 feet away. room is very dark (walls/ceiling) and only light issue is the table lamp next to me but with plasma i kinda got use to the reflection. side viewing is not an issue. that sofa near there is barely at 10 or 20 degrees. 99.9% viewing is dead on straight

i have a sound bar so sound with the tv is not relevant

i know i shouldnt rush into buying a tv but it's gonna suck without one so i need guidance. i guess i can lug the 32 crt out and at least have 'something' short term. ill probably buy locally from a chain or at least have it delivered to one unless you can def setup time for amazon to come on a saturday. cant take off work for delivery.

thanks

Last edited by luckydriver; 10-21-2019 at 08:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 128 Old 10-21-2019, 09:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydriver View Post
my sole source is OTA...on a 65 inch tv that is viewed 13 feet away
You don't need OLED or any other expensive TV because you are not going to be taking advantage of the picture quality they deliver.

You should buy the biggest TV you can find that is in your price range.

A 65" LG C9 OLED is currently $2500. For the exact same price you can get a brand new 85" Sony LCD that has all the same features and is still considered among the best in PQ.

Or you can find 75" TVs for well under $1000.
Kenbar likes this.

Media: LG 88" 8K OLED Z9 / Denon AVR-X8500H 7.1.4 / Oppo UDP-203 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / Sony 4K FMP-X10 / Gaming PC (Threadripper 1950X / 2x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SLI) / PlayStation 4 Pro with PS VR / PlayStation (original)
Family: Sony 85" 4K XBR-85X900F / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / C64 Mini - Game: LG 77" 4K OLED C8 / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K

Last edited by bryantc; 10-22-2019 at 02:31 AM.
post #3 of 128 Old 10-22-2019, 04:09 AM - Thread Starter

my understanding of 1080 and new tvs is obviously lacking. ive been trying to read a lot. but i thought i read that the cheap LCDs dont upscale the OTA very well and you needed a pricey upscaler (ie expensive tv)

i wont complain if i dont need that though. best buy has some LG 65 for 600 bucks. 75 would hang off my existing table as i only have 3 inches either side of free space to the edge currently plus the 75 box wont fit in my car. i only have 40in width for a box

edit, im trying to learn. would you say this page is valid in that toward the bottom of the page there is a chart that shows at 13 ft 1080 and 4k would look the same?

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/4k-u...aling-compared

also i found a 4k tv that says 1080p native support. would that be a better tv for my OTA or are all these tvs 1080 native support and i dont have to worry about that term

i just want the same pic as my plasma had then ill be happy

there is a tiny chance i may sub to cable tv in the future. would my tv choice be any different then?

Last edited by luckydriver; 10-22-2019 at 06:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 128 Old 10-22-2019, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked: 829
Sony seems to generally be considered the best at handling bad inputs in terms of cleaning it up and scaling. OTA generally has better quality than cable since cable companies like to compress the signal even more than OTA already did. I think my Sony OLED does quite nicely with cable content, but yes 4k streaming looks even better not to mention UHD BD. I find the Sony capable of doing incredible scaling even with DVD as input which is way lower resolution than you get OTA these days.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
post #5 of 128 Old 10-22-2019, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the input. i do crazy amounts of research before buying. just found one tv with the inputs on the right side vs left side of the tv and i have difficult access there . so yea. i need to research everything. thankfully i have a 63x19 table so i think any tv stand will fit ok

i think rather than rush this ill buy a cheapo 32 LED and just torture myself with the tiny pic from across the room while i do more research. i do love rtings detailed reviews but they take a while to go through.

plus wont the 32 give me some insight as to what i can expect with OTA when its blown up?

i really do hope i can just get a cheap led and it be ok but i dont wanna waste 700 that could be used toward something better/reliable. i also hesitate to do samsung again cause the plasma only lasted 6 years or are the newer techs more reliable
post #6 of 128 Old 10-22-2019, 08:54 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3518 Post(s)
Liked: 2539
Quote:
thanks for the input. i do crazy amounts of research before buying. just found one tv with the inputs on the right side vs left side of the tv and i have difficult access there . so yea. i need to research everything. thankfully i have a 63x19 table so i think any tv stand will fit ok

i think rather than rush this ill buy a cheapo 32 LED and just torture myself with the tiny pic from across the room while i do more research. i do love rtings detailed reviews but they take a while to go through.

plus wont the 32 give me some insight as to what i can expect with OTA when its blown up?

i really do hope i can just get a cheap led and it be ok but i dont wanna waste 700 that could be used toward something better/reliable. i also hesitate to do samsung again cause the plasma only lasted 6 years or are the newer techs more reliable
Just keep in mind that the bigger you go, the more obvious any issues in pq become. A 32" may look just fine, but a 65" or bigger may show picture anomalies that you just don't see with the smaller size. That being said, for years we had a 47" LCD, OTA only, that look mahvelous. In fact, our house was the go-to house for the SuperBowl in our neighborhood because pq was much better than our cable/sat neighbors. We still use the 47" for the downstairs HTS, which is now cable. PQ is still good given the source material. The upstairs HTS is a 65 C8, cable for HDTV only, and the upscaling is really good, again given the source.
Jason626 likes this.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #7 of 128 Old 10-22-2019, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Just keep in mind that the bigger you go, the more obvious any issues in pq become. A 32" may look just fine, but a 65" or bigger may show picture anomalies that you just don't see with the smaller size. That being said, for years we had a 47" LCD, OTA only, that look mahvelous. In fact, our house was the go-to house for the SuperBowl in our neighborhood because pq was much better than our cable/sat neighbors. We still use the 47" for the downstairs HTS, which is now cable. PQ is still good given the source material. The upstairs HTS is a 65 C8, cable for HDTV only, and the upscaling is really good, again given the source.

i see a c8 2018 model for a somewhat reasonable price given its oled. i dont care about latest and greatest. i just want a pic equal to my plasma. it 'would' be nice to future proof but truly i never see myself paying for 4k anything in the future. when OTA 4k gets here we will be onto 128K tvs by then

i dont know if anyone can answer this question but for the OTA would the C8 be better/worse/same as something budget basement like LG UM7300PUA 65" LED . you mentioned the good upscaling and i find it hard to believe a 600 dollar set could upscale as good as 2400 but thats what i'm here to find out
post #8 of 128 Old 10-22-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
i see a c8 2018 model for a somewhat reasonable price given its oled. i dont care about latest and greatest. i just want a pic equal to my plasma. it 'would' be nice to future proof but truly i never see myself paying for 4k anything in the future. when OTA 4k gets here we will be onto 128K tvs by then

i dont know if anyone can answer this question but for the OTA would the C8 be better/worse/same as something budget basement like LG UM7300PUA 65" LED . you mentioned the good upscaling and i find it hard to believe a 600 dollar set could upscale as good as 2400 but thats what i'm here to find out
My 65 C8 does a very good job (given the source) of upscaling 720/1080 to 4k via our Comcast local HDTV connection. The C8 does that automatically. The LG LCD downstairs, the one we used to use for OTA, is 1080 only, so there is no upscaling of the broadcast signal. It is what it is and the OTA pq was excellent. However, OTA reception is highly dependent on location and distance from the transmission towers. When we had OTA, we were living in another state and were about 60 miles from the towers with a direct LOS, so we had no signal quality issue regardless of weather or other environmental factors. The antenna was roof mounted at 30'AGL.

If you have no current intentions of going to 4k HDR anytime in the near future, then just about any 1080 only LED should work well for you and the only pq issues you may have is panel size and your OTA reception. If you want a 4k HDR tv now, then some say that Sony has better upscaling than LG, but I find that hard to believe because as far as cable tv goes, the C8 just delivers a phenomenal picture when upscaling 720/1080.

As a side note, when we had an OTA only Sony tv, that was before the digital transition so once that happened, we had to purchase an HD STB to capture the OTA digital signals. The best one on the market at that time was made by LG and it lived up to its reputation. When we decided to purchase our first HDTV, we went with the LG (the one we still have downstairs) based on the tuner performance of the LG STB we had. Never had an issue with OTA HDTV. Nowadays the major tv mfrs all have fairly good ATSC tuners but if it were me, based on my experience, I'd look at LG LED's if all your concerned about is 1080, if you can find a 1080 only tv The LG downstairs is a dumb tv, which is what we wanted because all of our streaming was, and still is, handled via the ATV4 for that tv.

post #9 of 128 Old 10-22-2019, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

i had a DB8 installed on the roof years ago and it even gets in vhf channel 6 from philly and its a UHF only antenna so i'm good with signal. also i'm happy with the tivo premiers tuner.

and i have a small town cable co (service electric) so no way they are gonna have 4 k anytime soon even if i choose to sub to them someday

im going to be happy if indeed any led is good for me. maybe reading all the reviews with the terminology is cluttering my mind. to find an old 1080 only probably is not realistic but i can try.

maybe i should just walk in target since its so close to my house and 30 day return window and just buy a cheapo i guess just watching a few days of my normal content is the only true way to judge this.

when you say c8 upscales automatically. does that mean a cheaper LED would not do that and you have to switch to get the best pic from the OTA? put another way. will 'any' LED 4K i get have to upscale or can you turn that off and the tv just is a normal old 1080 tv.

when i see the term 1080 native resolution on an LED spec review, i just assume it should look the same as my plasma and not any worse. but when i hear about upscaling to 4K i worry it will look bad
post #10 of 128 Old 10-22-2019, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
you cannot search by the term OTA so sorry if its been discussed. my plasma just got fried. (i held the power button in while plugging it in and my UPS was so not happy)

my sole source is OTA (or other shows from the web uploaded from my laptop) thru my tivo premiere and it has been excellent for me

i only just started researching oled but my understanding is that scaling is my issue. i need a tv with a good scaler. ill never be paying for 4K source and OTA 4K is years away in my market. so i need a good 1080/720 scaler on a 65 inch tv that is viewed 13 feet away. room is very dark (walls/ceiling) and only light issue is the table lamp next to me but with plasma i kinda got use to the reflection. side viewing is not an issue. that sofa near there is barely at 10 or 20 degrees. 99.9% viewing is dead on straight

i have a sound bar so sound with the tv is not relevant

i know i shouldnt rush into buying a tv but it's gonna suck without one so i need guidance. i guess i can lug the 32 crt out and at least have 'something' short term. ill probably buy locally from a chain or at least have it delivered to one unless you can def setup time for amazon to come on a saturday. cant take off work for delivery.

thanks

OLED is the closest to plasma in terms of black level and wide viewing angles. They can also get a lot brighter than plasma. They are both emissive technologies. Scaling from 1080P up to 4K is not actually all that complicated as it's a direct multiple, and every HDTV has to deal with scaling up 720p and 1080i television signals; albeit TV manufacturers still struggle with reconstructing a1080p24 from a 1080 signal. RTings is a good site for technical details on stuff like that.

Anyway, you should be happy enough with any of the OLED TVs, but you might consider buying a used plasma or OLED. Just keep in mind that no matter what you look at in this day and age, you'll have to tweak motion settings to get rid of the "soap opera effect" and get a more plasma-like image.
post #11 of 128 Old 10-22-2019, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonW747 View Post
OLED is the closest to plasma in terms of black level and wide viewing angles. They can also get a lot brighter than plasma. They are both emissive technologies. Scaling from 1080P up to 4K is not actually all that complicated as it's a direct multiple, and every HDTV has to deal with scaling up 720p and 1080i television signals; albeit TV manufacturers still struggle with reconstructing a1080p24 from a 1080 signal. RTings is a good site for technical details on stuff like that.

Anyway, you should be happy enough with any of the OLED TVs, but you might consider buying a used plasma or OLED. Just keep in mind that no matter what you look at in this day and age, you'll have to tweak motion settings to get rid of the "soap opera effect" and get a more plasma-like image.
viewing angle isnt a concern here but i am blessed with a very dark room (north side of house /dark paint etc). even with the vertical blinds open i just angle them toward me. not the tv. and so its literally still a dark room as far as the tv knows. tricky i know. i know my plasma was very happy in this dark cave. and i was hoping to keep the new tv happy too.

one thing ive seen on rting is different comments about the blacks oled compared to lcd and while im definitely not a 'phile' , if i saw halo or other lighter things where i didnt before. i wouldnt be happy. i expect every new tv to be better than my old. isnt that a law somewhere?

ive seen some older oleds only for 1800 ish. vs about 700 or so for the cheaper LEDs. i guess if i get a cheapo home and cannot stand it then the next step would be one of the lower price oleds because even the worst of them should be better than the LED, correct?
post #12 of 128 Old 10-22-2019, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 3653 Post(s)
Liked: 2065
As someone who went from a plasma to LG OLED, I found the picture quality jump significant. I use OTA and Sling. When I compared them both with the LG and plasma side by side, it was no contest. Yes, the LG has to scale, but it does a good job. I haven't compared it with a new LCD side by side, but I couldn't live without the on/off contrast of the OLED. If that is important to you, then you may not be happy with anything but an OLED.

I bought my LG as a scratch and dent from the ebay link. I think they only do that for local customers. A lot of people here have bought tvs from them.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-OLED65C9...cAAOSw6IlckRm7

Having fun playing the new mobile game Volley Village
post #13 of 128 Old 10-22-2019, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post
As someone who went from a plasma to LG OLED, I found the picture quality jump significant. I use OTA and Sling. When I compared them both with the LG and plasma side by side, it was no contest. Yes, the LG has to scale, but it does a good job. I haven't compared it with a new LCD side by side, but I couldn't live without the on/off contrast of the OLED. If that is important to you, then you may not be happy with anything but an OLED.

I bought my LG as a scratch and dent from the ebay link. I think they only do that for local customers. A lot of people here have bought tvs from them.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-OLED65C9...cAAOSw6IlckRm7
im glad to know that OTA was better on the oled. what exactly do you mean about on/off contrast. is that the ability of oled to do something led cannot?

interesting doesnt say scratch and dent on the ebay site at all. says new in box. and im in PA so im close to them but some of the reviews are scary. calls about mandatory delivery fees and other things. but the biggest deal breaker is probably the lack that i cannot easily return it.

i think id consider this deal if i got the cheap LED and wasnt happy with it because universally everyone here has said the oled would be great for me. i wonder how they can sell it for 700 off though .

and for a tv what is scratch and dent anyway? bad box? scratch on bezel? you def cannot have scratched screen
post #14 of 128 Old 10-22-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:

when you say c8 upscales automatically. does that mean a cheaper LED would not do that and you have to switch to get the best pic from the OTA? put another way. will 'any' LED 4K i get have to upscale or can you turn that off and the tv just is a normal old 1080 tv.

when i see the term 1080 native resolution on an LED spec review, i just assume it should look the same as my plasma and not any worse. but when i hear about upscaling to 4K i worry it will look bad
The LG 65 C8 takes all content that is not 4k and upscales it to 4k automatically. There is no "upscaling on or off". If the LED tv you're looking at says "4k", then it too will upscale because there is no native 4k OTA content, yet. Whether there is an option to enable upscaling or not is up to the tv mfr. OTA HDTV will be switching to the new ATSC 3.0 standard soon, which is something you may want to consider if OTA is going to be your only HDTV source. ATSC 3.0 will more than likely require a new ATSC tuner and HLG capability so that's one more thing you may want to inquire about, if that information is made available by the tv mfr.

post #15 of 128 Old 10-22-2019, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

this is the journey.

i find the tv locally and look it up on ting. this sounds bad. like something id notice in my dark room.

The LG UM6900 is a decent entry-level 4k TV with an IPS panel. Like most IPS TVs, it has a wide viewing angle, but doesn't look as good in a dark room, as it has a low contrast ratio, poor black uniformity, and no local dimming. It has a fast response time and low input lag, great for gaming, but the backlight always flickers, which causes noticeable duplications in motion.

this sounds bit better

The Vizio V Series 2019 is a budget entry-level 4k LED TV with decent picture quality. It has a high native contrast ratio that delivers deep blacks but lacks a local dimming feature to improve dark room performance. The Vizio V Series 2019 has a decent picture quality. It can display deep blacks thanks to the high native contrast ratio, but lacks a local dimming feature to further improve dark room performance. It can get decently bright in SDR and is more suitable for a dim room. Unfortunately, HDR content is not displayed as its creator intended, as the TV does not have a wide color gamut and can't get very bright in HDR. The V Series has mediocre viewing angles and decent gray uniformity that won't disappoint sports fans. It can handle reflections well, and you can place it in a room with a few lights without issue.------------- what i like about this review is deep blacks. is suitable for dim room. uniformity /sports fans (i dont watch sports but good to know can handle) and that it handles reflections well (my table light)

my samsung now died and i didnt want to buy another one but these 2 are local.

this kind of sounds promising. The native contrast of the Samsung NU6900 is excellent. It is one of the highest native contrast ratios we've measured so far in LED TVs and in the same ballpark with more expensive models like the Samsung Q7FN.The Samsung NU6900 has a decent picture quality with excellent contrast ratio and great out of the box color accuracy. It cannot get bright enough to overcome glare and it cannot display the director's intent when displaying HDR content due to the lack of a wide color gamut and the crushing of highlights. Viewing angles are bad, and reflection handling is decent. A small dim room is the best environment for this TVs picture quality.It has a low input lag and a fast response time which are good for games, but motion handling is only mediocre.

The Samsung RU7100 is a good 4k LED TV that has decent overall picture quality. It can deliver deep blacks, thanks to the high native contrast ratio, and it is good for a dim room. However, it lacks a local dimming feature to further improve dark room performance. It has good gray uniformity and great color accuracy out of the box. It doesn't have a wide color gamut and can't get very bright, especially in HDR. Motion handling is mediocre, but the input lag is remarkably low, which makes the TV very responsive; something that will please gamers.
post #16 of 128 Old 10-22-2019, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
The LG 65 C8 takes all content that is not 4k and upscales it to 4k automatically. There is no "upscaling on or off". If the LED tv you're looking at says "4k", then it too will upscale because there is no native 4k OTA content, yet. Whether there is an option to enable upscaling or not is up to the tv mfr. OTA HDTV will be switching to the new ATSC 3.0 standard soon, which is something you may want to consider if OTA is going to be your only HDTV source. ATSC 3.0 will more than likely require a new ATSC tuner and HLG capability so that's one more thing you may want to inquire about, if that information is made available by the tv mfr.
ok great to know i may be able to turn off some tvs upscaling if they allow that. only reason i would is if the upscaling stinks of course (but then again if it stinks its probably a cheap tv and would that even be offered on such a tv?) from my reading online, 3.0 is a long way off. and regardless i found this: More to the point, stations that do voluntarily broadcast in ATSC 3.0 must continue to offer ATSC 1.0 signals for at least five years after the switch. 3.0 is also bizarre in that they really embed things with you by using your internet but all thats for another thread. and i dont know how it would work with a converter behind my tivo or what.

but you did confirm one thing to me at least that i had trouble wrapping my head around. all 4K will upconvert my 1080 but what differs is how good the sets are and if i can turn it off on a particular one

if i can turn off the upscaling. will that automatically mean i just get the same pic as my old plasma at least?
post #17 of 128 Old 10-22-2019, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

general question: is there any chance i get a b8 or b9 and NOT be happy with the OTA on it?
post #18 of 128 Old 10-22-2019, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
viewing angle isnt a concern here but i am blessed with a very dark room (north side of house /dark paint etc). even with the vertical blinds open i just angle them toward me. not the tv. and so its literally still a dark room as far as the tv knows. tricky i know. i know my plasma was very happy in this dark cave. and i was hoping to keep the new tv happy too.

one thing ive seen on rting is different comments about the blacks oled compared to lcd and while im definitely not a 'phile' , if i saw halo or other lighter things where i didnt before. i wouldnt be happy. i expect every new tv to be better than my old. isnt that a law somewhere?

ive seen some older oleds only for 1800 ish. vs about 700 or so for the cheaper LEDs. i guess if i get a cheapo home and cannot stand it then the next step would be one of the lower price oleds because even the worst of them should be better than the LED, correct?
It's a hassle, but try it and return it if you don't like it is an option. At least TV's are a lot lighter than they once were.

The high-end LCD's which at least try to compete with the OLED's, however, are not cheap, though.

Personally, I went from CRT to RPTV to Plasma to OLED. I've not been able to bite the bullet on LCD for beyond an auxiliary TV. I was able to quickly and easily tweak my LG E6P to match my calibrated Kuro (at least by eye), but I did want things like HDR and 4k. And technically you could enjoy these too even without broadband by investing in a UHD player. But if you really have no need for those features, a used high-quality TV (like a plasma or an OLED) should get you the picture quality you're looking for.

Alas, constant improvement is not something we can take for granted when the market struggles to support the high-end manufacturers and the masses flock to the brightest/flashiest/cheapest TVs.

Coming from plasma you should be reasonably happy with an OLED. At least I was. Never imagined I'd be the owner of a TV built by Lucky Goldstar, though.

Last edited by JonW747; 10-22-2019 at 11:50 AM.
post #19 of 128 Old 10-22-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
if i can turn off the upscaling. will that automatically mean i just get the same pic as my old plasma at least?
There's no real way of determining that. OLED is probably as close as you can get to plasma but every tv and panel varies a bit and if you expect any OLED to look just like your plasma, you may be disappointed depending on what your expectations are, especially for 1080. You just need to take the jump and see how it looks on your OTA setup. Pay attention to the return policy so you know how long you have in-home to evaluate the tv. No one can give you a 100% guarantee that an OLED or high quality LED will work to your expectations.

post #20 of 128 Old 10-22-2019, 01:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
general question: is there any chance i get a b8 or b9 and NOT be happy with the OTA on it?
If you look on this site I believe Cleveland plasma is selling a 65c9 for close to 2000 right now. Why settle for a b9 with a lesser processor since scaling is what you want.
post #21 of 128 Old 10-22-2019, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Did you have a bad experience with upscaling or read about an issue? Because there's nothing magic about going from 1080p to 4K .... a TV could just double the pixels and it would look just like a 1080 TV with big pixels.

IMO, if there's an area of concern it's with dealing with a lower resolution image like an SD (480i) channel, or a highly compressed channel. Handling of motion in general can be an issue as both LCDs and OLEDs handle this differently than plasma.
post #22 of 128 Old 10-22-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi6807 View Post
If you look on this site I believe Cleveland plasma is selling a 65c9 for close to 2000 right now. Why settle for a b9 with a lesser processor since scaling is what you want.
Even though we are not supposed to discuss price, a 65 C8 would be a better deal in terms of cost.

post #23 of 128 Old 10-22-2019, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonW747 View Post
Did you have a bad experience with upscaling or read about an issue? Because there's nothing magic about going from 1080p to 4K .... a TV could just double the pixels and it would look just like a 1080 TV with big pixels.

IMO, if there's an area of concern it's with dealing with a lower resolution image like an SD (480i) channel, or a highly compressed channel. Handling of motion in general can be an issue as both LCDs and OLEDs handle this differently than plasma.
in the research ive been reading that expensive tvs handle it better but id be happy if that wasnt true and i could get away with a 700 dollar unit. ive read sony is best and others here say no difference from LG.

all my OTA from philly are very good PQ so im fortunate there. if they are compressed then i love compressed
post #24 of 128 Old 10-22-2019, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 440
You are overthinking this. Pretty much any name brand TV being sold today will be fine for OTA. You don't need to spend a lot of money.
KidHorn likes this.

Media: LG 88" 8K OLED Z9 / Denon AVR-X8500H 7.1.4 / Oppo UDP-203 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / Sony 4K FMP-X10 / Gaming PC (Threadripper 1950X / 2x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SLI) / PlayStation 4 Pro with PS VR / PlayStation (original)
Family: Sony 85" 4K XBR-85X900F / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / C64 Mini - Game: LG 77" 4K OLED C8 / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K
post #25 of 128 Old 10-22-2019, 01:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 171
When I went from a 64F8500 plasma to a 65C8 OLED, I was pretty horrified at the upscaling and motion handling for cable news, drama, and especially sports. It looked really bad.

Fiddling around with the motion controls got motion to be sort of OK.

I tried one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018TF4MYC/ref=dp_cerb_1

It might be the placebo effect, but I feel that it really cleans up the upscaled cable signal. It has a mode where it presents half the screen unprocessed and half the screen processed. It could see the difference, and felt that it was a good improvement that made cable enjoyable again.
post #26 of 128 Old 10-22-2019, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

thats the kind of thing i worry about

matter of fact all this research has me thinking to go home and rip out the power supplly board and order one. maybe even Y board for the fun of it and see if it fixes it. id rather have my plasma which is a known commodity. but if not i wanna be ready to buy 'something' immediately
post #27 of 128 Old 10-22-2019, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked: 653
What is OTA?

Voted most desirable mate by the ladies every year! Klan leader! Mob boss! Love advice expert! Credit cards accepted.
post #28 of 128 Old 10-22-2019, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 2388 Post(s)
Liked: 1702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbar View Post
What is OTA?
Over the air. (Broadcast.)
Kenbar likes this.
post #29 of 128 Old 10-22-2019, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
in the research ive been reading that expensive tvs handle it better but id be happy if that wasnt true and i could get away with a 700 dollar unit. ive read sony is best and others here say no difference from LG.

all my OTA from philly are very good PQ so im fortunate there. if they are compressed then i love compressed

I think if you dig in to the subject deeper, you'll find the primary concerns are with more subtle issues - in fact the same issues we had to deal with the moment we moved away from CRT's.

Namely that our new displays are no longer interlaced and converting an interlaced image to a progressive image is tricky to this day because the networks will mix up the signals they broadcast and the flags they provide. Some providers are even down-rezzing to save bits. And because our displays are higher resolution than the source and bigger than our old TVs, they're really good at showing flaws in the source material. These flaws can be smoothed out by adding processing and it's that sort of thing you get by buying a more expensive processor (like in the Sonys or the newer LG models).

But if you have a quality 720p or 1080i signal, about the only thing you have to worry about when getting that upscaled to 4K in my opinion is reverse telecine or the ability of the TV to extract 1080p24 from the 1080i signal - and a lot of people don't even care for that - and some even prefer to add some motion smoothing over the inherent stutter in 24p video.

When it comes to handling motion in a more plamsa-like way, newer TVs have a "black frame insertion" option that tries to mimic how plamsa pixels charge and discharge. This helps fool our eyes in to accepting that the animation we're watching is actual motion. Unfortunately this feature also adds flicker and a lot of people don't even bother with it.

Otoh, some people like motion smoothing. If you walk in to a store and you like what you see, then maybe you'll like it too as it's become the standard way to deal with motion. Many of us dislike the so called "soap opera" effect that makes film look like video, and will just turn off the motion processing or reduce it drastically.

So, that's why I think if cost is a factor, you might try out an LCD and see if you like it; and then if not - move on to an OLED which most former plasma owners find to be an acceptable upgrade.

In the end, you're going to have to judge for yourself what's acceptable - just keep in mind that TVs in stores are not usually representative and unless they let you sit down in a light controlled room with a cable feed and a remote with a prepared clue what you're tweaking you're probably not going to truly see what that TV could be like in your home.
FarriorMVP likes this.
post #30 of 128 Old 10-22-2019, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowspawn View Post
When I went from a 64F8500 plasma to a 65C8 OLED, I was pretty horrified at the upscaling and motion handling for cable news, drama, and especially sports. It looked really bad.

Fiddling around with the motion controls got motion to be sort of OK.

I tried one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018TF4MYC/ref=dp_cerb_1

It might be the placebo effect, but I feel that it really cleans up the upscaled cable signal. It has a mode where it presents half the screen unprocessed and half the screen processed. It could see the difference, and felt that it was a good improvement that made cable enjoyable again.

Personally, I was amazed how bad cable news channels looked on my E6P when I got it, but I eventually realized the black level was configured wrong for my TiVo. For some reason the incorrect setting was a lot more noticeable on those channels, as it made the "talking heads" look downright scary.

I'm not suggesting that was your problem, but there can be a lot of settings to tweak.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page