AVS Forum banner

best oled for OTA..plasma fried..need help deciding quickly

6K views 127 replies 26 participants last post by  lsorensen 
#1 · (Edited)
you cannot search by the term OTA so sorry if its been discussed. my plasma just got fried. (i held the power button in while plugging it in and my UPS was so not happy)

my sole source is OTA (or other shows from the web uploaded from my laptop) thru my tivo premiere and it has been excellent for me

i only just started researching oled but my understanding is that scaling is my issue. i need a tv with a good scaler. ill never be paying for 4K source and OTA 4K is years away in my market. so i need a good 1080/720 scaler on a 65 inch tv that is viewed 13 feet away. room is very dark (walls/ceiling) and only light issue is the table lamp next to me but with plasma i kinda got use to the reflection. side viewing is not an issue. that sofa near there is barely at 10 or 20 degrees. 99.9% viewing is dead on straight

i have a sound bar so sound with the tv is not relevant

i know i shouldnt rush into buying a tv but it's gonna suck without one so i need guidance. i guess i can lug the 32 crt out and at least have 'something' short term. ill probably buy locally from a chain or at least have it delivered to one unless you can def setup time for amazon to come on a saturday. cant take off work for delivery.

thanks

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
my sole source is OTA...on a 65 inch tv that is viewed 13 feet away
You don't need OLED or any other expensive TV because you are not going to be taking advantage of the picture quality they deliver.

You should buy the biggest TV you can find that is in your price range.

A 65" LG C9 OLED is currently $2500. For the exact same price you can get a brand new 85" Sony LCD that has all the same features and is still considered among the best in PQ.

Or you can find 75" TVs for well under $1000.

#101 · (Edited)
You don't need OLED or any other expensive TV because you are not going to be taking advantage of the picture quality they deliver.

You should buy the biggest TV you can find that is in your price range.

A 65" LG C9 OLED is currently $2500. For the exact same price you can get a brand new 85" Sony LCD that has all the same features and is still considered among the best in PQ.

Or you can find 75" TVs for well under $1000.
The main benefits of OLED technology can be appreciated at any resolution: black levels, dark gradients, shadow detail, color accuracy, wide dispersion/consistency over all viewing angles. The difference is plain to see even with SD content from DVDs or OTA broadcasts.

When cost and/or screen size are the most important factors, or for use in a really bright room, of course I would recommend LCD. But if somebody has enjoyed a plasma for years, I do not think they would be happy with an LCD. I'm not sure there's much to be gained by getting a huge screen to watch SD and HD content either.

can someone quantify why b9 is 800 more than b8. the rting side by side specs dont show me anything too glaring. (bad pun)
The B8 is no longer a current model. I believe it was a $2600 TV when it was released last year.

Where are you seeing a $800 difference? I just checked Amazon and the lowest price on the B8 was $1750 from Vanns. The lowest price on the B9 was $2195 from iBuys. I would not even consider the B9 when you can drive over to BestBuy and come home with an A8G for $100 more.

The picture quality of the C9 and A8G will only be incrementally better than the B8, especially if you calibrate, so if features aren't important and you're just buying it for the display, the B8 looks like a sweet deal. You could use the savings to go buy a UHD disc player.

#3 · (Edited)
my understanding of 1080 and new tvs is obviously lacking. ive been trying to read a lot. but i thought i read that the cheap LCDs dont upscale the OTA very well and you needed a pricey upscaler (ie expensive tv)

i wont complain if i dont need that though. best buy has some LG 65 for 600 bucks. 75 would hang off my existing table as i only have 3 inches either side of free space to the edge currently plus the 75 box wont fit in my car. i only have 40in width for a box

edit, im trying to learn. would you say this page is valid in that toward the bottom of the page there is a chart that shows at 13 ft 1080 and 4k would look the same?

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/4k-ultra-hd-uhd-vs-1080p-full-hd-tvs-and-upscaling-compared

also i found a 4k tv that says 1080p native support. would that be a better tv for my OTA or are all these tvs 1080 native support and i dont have to worry about that term

i just want the same pic as my plasma had then ill be happy :)

there is a tiny chance i may sub to cable tv in the future. would my tv choice be any different then?

#4 ·
Sony seems to generally be considered the best at handling bad inputs in terms of cleaning it up and scaling. OTA generally has better quality than cable since cable companies like to compress the signal even more than OTA already did. I think my Sony OLED does quite nicely with cable content, but yes 4k streaming looks even better not to mention UHD BD. I find the Sony capable of doing incredible scaling even with DVD as input which is way lower resolution than you get OTA these days.

#5 ·
thanks for the input. i do crazy amounts of research before buying. just found one tv with the inputs on the right side vs left side of the tv and i have difficult access there . so yea. i need to research everything. :) thankfully i have a 63x19 table so i think any tv stand will fit ok

i think rather than rush this ill buy a cheapo 32 LED and just torture myself with the tiny pic from across the room while i do more research. i do love rtings detailed reviews but they take a while to go through.

plus wont the 32 give me some insight as to what i can expect with OTA when its blown up?

i really do hope i can just get a cheap led and it be ok but i dont wanna waste 700 that could be used toward something better/reliable. i also hesitate to do samsung again cause the plasma only lasted 6 years or are the newer techs more reliable

#6 ·
Just keep in mind that the bigger you go, the more obvious any issues in pq become. A 32" may look just fine, but a 65" or bigger may show picture anomalies that you just don't see with the smaller size. That being said, for years we had a 47" LCD, OTA only, that look mahvelous. In fact, our house was the go-to house for the SuperBowl in our neighborhood because pq was much better than our cable/sat neighbors. We still use the 47" for the downstairs HTS, which is now cable. PQ is still good given the source material. The upstairs HTS is a 65 C8, cable for HDTV only, and the upscaling is really good, again given the source.

#9 ·
i had a DB8 installed on the roof years ago and it even gets in vhf channel 6 from philly and its a UHF only antenna so i'm good with signal. :) also i'm happy with the tivo premiers tuner.

and i have a small town cable co (service electric) so no way they are gonna have 4 k anytime soon even if i choose to sub to them someday

im going to be happy if indeed any led is good for me. maybe reading all the reviews with the terminology is cluttering my mind. to find an old 1080 only probably is not realistic but i can try.

maybe i should just walk in target since its so close to my house and 30 day return window and just buy a cheapo :) i guess just watching a few days of my normal content is the only true way to judge this.

when you say c8 upscales automatically. does that mean a cheaper LED would not do that and you have to switch to get the best pic from the OTA? put another way. will 'any' LED 4K i get have to upscale or can you turn that off and the tv just is a normal old 1080 tv.

when i see the term 1080 native resolution on an LED spec review, i just assume it should look the same as my plasma and not any worse. but when i hear about upscaling to 4K i worry it will look bad

#14 ·
when you say c8 upscales automatically. does that mean a cheaper LED would not do that and you have to switch to get the best pic from the OTA? put another way. will 'any' LED 4K i get have to upscale or can you turn that off and the tv just is a normal old 1080 tv.

when i see the term 1080 native resolution on an LED spec review, i just assume it should look the same as my plasma and not any worse. but when i hear about upscaling to 4K i worry it will look bad
The LG 65 C8 takes all content that is not 4k and upscales it to 4k automatically. There is no "upscaling on or off". If the LED tv you're looking at says "4k", then it too will upscale because there is no native 4k OTA content, yet. Whether there is an option to enable upscaling or not is up to the tv mfr. OTA HDTV will be switching to the new ATSC 3.0 standard soon, which is something you may want to consider if OTA is going to be your only HDTV source. ATSC 3.0 will more than likely require a new ATSC tuner and HLG capability so that's one more thing you may want to inquire about, if that information is made available by the tv mfr.

#10 ·
you cannot search by the term OTA so sorry if its been discussed. my plasma just got fried. (i held the power button in while plugging it in and my UPS was so not happy)

my sole source is OTA (or other shows from the web uploaded from my laptop) thru my tivo premiere and it has been excellent for me

i only just started researching oled but my understanding is that scaling is my issue. i need a tv with a good scaler. ill never be paying for 4K source and OTA 4K is years away in my market. so i need a good 1080/720 scaler on a 65 inch tv that is viewed 13 feet away. room is very dark (walls/ceiling) and only light issue is the table lamp next to me but with plasma i kinda got use to the reflection. side viewing is not an issue. that sofa near there is barely at 10 or 20 degrees. 99.9% viewing is dead on straight

i know i shouldnt rush into buying a tv but it's gonna suck without one so i need guidance. i guess i can lug the 32 crt out and at least have 'something' short term. ill probably buy locally from a chain or at least have it delivered to one unless you can def setup time for amazon to come on a saturday. cant take off work for delivery.

thanks

OLED is the closest to plasma in terms of black level and wide viewing angles. They can also get a lot brighter than plasma. They are both emissive technologies. Scaling from 1080P up to 4K is not actually all that complicated as it's a direct multiple, and every HDTV has to deal with scaling up 720p and 1080i television signals; albeit TV manufacturers still struggle with reconstructing a1080p24 from a 1080 signal. RTings is a good site for technical details on stuff like that.

Anyway, you should be happy enough with any of the OLED TVs, but you might consider buying a used plasma or OLED. Just keep in mind that no matter what you look at in this day and age, you'll have to tweak motion settings to get rid of the "soap opera effect" and get a more plasma-like image.

#11 ·
viewing angle isnt a concern here but i am blessed with a very dark room (north side of house /dark paint etc). even with the vertical blinds open i just angle them toward me. not the tv. and so its literally still a dark room as far as the tv knows. tricky i know. i know my plasma was very happy in this dark cave. and i was hoping to keep the new tv happy too.

one thing ive seen on rting is different comments about the blacks oled compared to lcd and while im definitely not a 'phile' , if i saw halo or other lighter things where i didnt before. i wouldnt be happy. i expect every new tv to be better than my old. isnt that a law somewhere?

ive seen some older oleds only for 1800 ish. vs about 700 or so for the cheaper LEDs. i guess if i get a cheapo home and cannot stand it then the next step would be one of the lower price oleds because even the worst of them should be better than the LED, correct?

#12 ·
As someone who went from a plasma to LG OLED, I found the picture quality jump significant. I use OTA and Sling. When I compared them both with the LG and plasma side by side, it was no contest. Yes, the LG has to scale, but it does a good job. I haven't compared it with a new LCD side by side, but I couldn't live without the on/off contrast of the OLED. If that is important to you, then you may not be happy with anything but an OLED.

I bought my LG as a scratch and dent from the ebay link. I think they only do that for local customers. A lot of people here have bought tvs from them.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-OLED65C...447087&hash=item3b2db6842e:g:oZcAAOSw6IlckRm7

#13 ·
im glad to know that OTA was better on the oled. what exactly do you mean about on/off contrast. is that the ability of oled to do something led cannot?

interesting doesnt say scratch and dent on the ebay site at all. says new in box. and im in PA so im close to them but some of the reviews are scary. calls about mandatory delivery fees and other things. but the biggest deal breaker is probably the lack that i cannot easily return it.

i think id consider this deal if i got the cheap LED and wasnt happy with it because universally everyone here has said the oled would be great for me. i wonder how they can sell it for 700 off though .

and for a tv what is scratch and dent anyway? bad box? scratch on bezel? you def cannot have scratched screen :)

#15 ·
this is the journey.

i find the tv locally and look it up on ting. this sounds bad. like something id notice in my dark room.

The LG UM6900 is a decent entry-level 4k TV with an IPS panel. Like most IPS TVs, it has a wide viewing angle, but doesn't look as good in a dark room, as it has a low contrast ratio, poor black uniformity, and no local dimming. It has a fast response time and low input lag, great for gaming, but the backlight always flickers, which causes noticeable duplications in motion.

this sounds bit better

The Vizio V Series 2019 is a budget entry-level 4k LED TV with decent picture quality. It has a high native contrast ratio that delivers deep blacks but lacks a local dimming feature to improve dark room performance. The Vizio V Series 2019 has a decent picture quality. It can display deep blacks thanks to the high native contrast ratio, but lacks a local dimming feature to further improve dark room performance. It can get decently bright in SDR and is more suitable for a dim room. Unfortunately, HDR content is not displayed as its creator intended, as the TV does not have a wide color gamut and can't get very bright in HDR. The V Series has mediocre viewing angles and decent gray uniformity that won't disappoint sports fans. It can handle reflections well, and you can place it in a room with a few lights without issue.------------- what i like about this review is deep blacks. is suitable for dim room. uniformity /sports fans (i dont watch sports but good to know can handle) and that it handles reflections well (my table light)

my samsung now died and i didnt want to buy another one but these 2 are local.

this kind of sounds promising. The native contrast of the Samsung NU6900 is excellent. It is one of the highest native contrast ratios we've measured so far in LED TVs and in the same ballpark with more expensive models like the Samsung Q7FN.The Samsung NU6900 has a decent picture quality with excellent contrast ratio and great out of the box color accuracy. It cannot get bright enough to overcome glare and it cannot display the director's intent when displaying HDR content due to the lack of a wide color gamut and the crushing of highlights. Viewing angles are bad, and reflection handling is decent. A small dim room is the best environment for this TVs picture quality.It has a low input lag and a fast response time which are good for games, but motion handling is only mediocre.

The Samsung RU7100 is a good 4k LED TV that has decent overall picture quality. It can deliver deep blacks, thanks to the high native contrast ratio, and it is good for a dim room. However, it lacks a local dimming feature to further improve dark room performance. It has good gray uniformity and great color accuracy out of the box. It doesn't have a wide color gamut and can't get very bright, especially in HDR. Motion handling is mediocre, but the input lag is remarkably low, which makes the TV very responsive; something that will please gamers.

#20 ·
If you look on this site I believe Cleveland plasma is selling a 65c9 for close to 2000 right now. Why settle for a b9 with a lesser processor since scaling is what you want.

#25 ·
When I went from a 64F8500 plasma to a 65C8 OLED, I was pretty horrified at the upscaling and motion handling for cable news, drama, and especially sports. It looked really bad.

Fiddling around with the motion controls got motion to be sort of OK.

I tried one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018TF4MYC/ref=dp_cerb_1

It might be the placebo effect, but I feel that it really cleans up the upscaled cable signal. It has a mode where it presents half the screen unprocessed and half the screen processed. It could see the difference, and felt that it was a good improvement that made cable enjoyable again.

#30 ·
Personally, I was amazed how bad cable news channels looked on my E6P when I got it, but I eventually realized the black level was configured wrong for my TiVo. For some reason the incorrect setting was a lot more noticeable on those channels, as it made the "talking heads" look downright scary.

I'm not suggesting that was your problem, but there can be a lot of settings to tweak.

#26 ·
thats the kind of thing i worry about

matter of fact all this research has me thinking to go home and rip out the power supplly board and order one. maybe even Y board for the fun of it and see if it fixes it. id rather have my plasma which is a known commodity. but if not i wanna be ready to buy 'something' immediately

#32 ·
Plasma owners are not used to blooming so if you get a LCD most likely you will not be happy with it so get a Oled. When it comes to upscaling content Sony Oled is the best but the difference is small in comparison to LG Oleds and the price difference is high so when you look at the cost to benefits ratio lg Oled is your best bet.

#72 ·
***OLED's have significant banding and tint issues. Read through the threads on the AVS Forum. Sony, by far, has the best "upscaling" engine (FALD models.) An "OTA" 1080i signal is Bluray quality. I haven't had any "blooming" issues at all. I'm direct, head on to my 75" Sony 900F.

Personally, I would never buy a TV with banding issues. The number one "deal killer," IMHO, in terms of buying a new TV and the main killer of picture quality. Unwatchable. No matter what you buy - - make sure you have a solid return policy.

#33 ·
so i got a temp 32 vizio 1080 until i can decide what to do....can someone give me binoculars. 13 ft is so darn far away!

i didnt take the time to look at the tvs in target but based on the above readings, im assuming if i like what i see in the store, assuming they are playing regular tv, then im' good with anything? i guess the key is having normal tv be the source vs some pretty forest scene in 4k.

with the tvs in the store can you just put in a usb with mp4 and play your own source. that would sell me for sure

#35 ·
The problem with going by what you see in a store is the store lighting is usually very bright, the feeds could be bad with multiple splitters, and you have no idea what the settings are set to. I remember years ago that a specific display looked the best in one store and the absolute worst in a different store. LCDs generally look great in a brightly lit store, but OLEDs will look better in your darker viewing room.

#37 ·
Hi, everyone:

Very sorry to piggyback on this thread, Luckydriver (I know it's bad netiquette), but I'm in a similar (but not exact) situation. About to start a family room renovation in a week or so, and a good portion of it involves installing built-ins around a new TV. I've got my eye on the 65" LG C9, but the more I read about it on the forums, the more I'm realizing it's an enthusiast-level TV that might be overkill for this mere mortal/n00b/dummy.

I'll be upgrading from a 13-year-old 42" Panasonic plasma, so obviously most anything from the last few years would be a big improvement. However, the problem is that I don't currently have any sources for 4K content, which means I would need to do a lot of upgrading (TV/video services, AVR, etc).

I can remedy the lack of 4k somewhat by upgrading Netflix service, buying AppleTV 4k, and I also plan to sign up for Disney+, which I understand will have 4k content (the thought of watching Mandalorian in 4k makes me a little giddy). But AFAIK, Comcast doesn't have much 4K content (me and the wife still watch a good amount of cable TV via an old TiVo HD), I've never owned a Blu-Ray player, and we just bought the kids an XBox One S (big mistake, should've bought the One X).

So right now, I have analysis paralysis--is the OLED overkill for what I would be watching? Would I be better off with LED or LCD or....? Does the C9 handle upscaling well? Would even 720p content look better on the C9 vs. the ancient Panny?

Thanks!

#38 ·
My setup is as follows:

I still have my LG LCD (dumb 1080 only) for the HTS downstairs. Comcast for local HDTV only. No streaming thru Comcast. Streaming is done via an ATV4. A Panasonic BDT-210 BD player finishes off the system. An Yamaha TSR-5830 receiver is the hub. ARC/CEC disabled. Harmony remote controls the system. PQ is just fine when viewing local HD broadcast tv and movies via the ATV4 look great as well.

The upstairs HTS is an LG 65 C8. Similar setup. Comcast for local HDTV only. Streaming is done via the ATV4k. An LG UBK90 UHD/BD player for physical media and a new Yamaha Aventage A-780 receiver is the hub. ARC/CEC disabled with a Harmony remote controlling the system. I do use an optical cable because the Comcast STB is connected directly to the C8 so I need to pass 5.1 audio from the local HDTV programming to the receiver. The Comcast STB is the older legacy box (1080 only) so all programming is upscaled automatically by the C8 to 4k. PQ is gorgeous given the content source and even the old Westerns like Gunsmoke on MeTV look great! UHD/BD movies are fantastic and so is streaming from Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, MLB, NBA, etc. Motion interpolation is fine.

The C9 is a nice upgrade but for me, the cost is not justifiable. I'm not a gamer so I don't care about VRR and eARC is not a selling feature because I don't need nor use ARC/eARC. The other features of HDMI 2.1 are not ready yet, nor is there going to be any source material for quite some time that can take advantage of all of the HDMI 2.1 feature sets. If gaming is important to you then a C9 might be a good option but to take full advantage of what HDMI 2.1 will offer in the future, you'll need to upgrade your other HDMI connected devices that have the same HDMI 2.1 chipsets so that all of the feature sets are available to you.

#42 ·
so take pity on me ...my temp 32 inch vizio 13 feet away..sigh. but at least its something. i refuse to play with settings (but now you get a feeling for the nice dark room. my light was actually on 100 watts, normal is on 50 so its ever darker. this is why i worry about LED things regarding the blacks. that i may notice them.

also i took out the power and Y boards and ordered new ones for my plasma. 120 including shipping and if it doesnt fix it, i will be able to sleep at nite knowing i tried at least

Attachments

#52 · (Edited)
well my 2 boards are coming friday so i should find out if they work by the weekend. except i cannot stop researching. bad habit. found the c9 for just 1800 bucks and gotta admit if i didnt already have the boards on the way id be very tempted to buy even sight unseen..sigh.

edit: so i keep thinking about this. the odds the boards will fix my tv arent good im sure. but assume they do. id think there would be someone locally that hopefully would give me at least 200 for such a great tv (boards cost me 120). there are no local plasmas for sale for me to compare on CL unfortunately

as you can see im' driving my self nuts and while i do realize tvs will always come down in price with time, i dont want to sit watching this 32 inch while i wait for them to drop. oh the torture. maybe ill go to BB tonight and at least look at the c9

alternativel buying me the c9 today means that i guarantee the boards will fix my plasma...see. sneaking karma there

double edit: just realized no warranty service if i buy from that place with the good price. so i cannot buy an expensive tv with no warranty. even if it is 800 less than someone like best buy. unless you can tell me a repair would be less than 800 :)

#54 ·
edit: so i keep thinking about this. the odds the boards will fix my tv arent good im sure. but assume they do. id think there would be someone locally that hopefully would give me at least 200 for such a great tv (boards cost me 120). there are no local plasmas for sale for me to compare on CL unfortunately
There's a couple of them for sale on eBay right now, priced well into 4 figures. I don't think that's realistic.

I put mine up for sale in good working condition in early October last year, on the AVS for sale forum, Craigslist, and eBay; for local pickup only or buyer hires a TV packaging and shipping service (there are such things, google it).

I think that I priced it in the high 3 figures, based on actual eBay sales that had happened in prior months. I did not get any hits on the AVS board, and I don't think I got any hits from Craigslist. I turned down a few insultingly low-ball eBay offers and let the ads ride for a few months. In January or February of this year I finally got an offer on eBay for $750, which I accepted. The guy drive 50 miles with a pickup truck and a flat screen TV shipping box from Home Depot, and drove away with it.

#62 ·

thanks
Maybe it's only a power supply issue on your present TV ? Might not be that expensive to fix, worth looking into.

#65 ·
Don't know about "best" but my Sony A1E looks great to me on OTA (ATSC). However, have not tried hooking an antenna to the onboard turner. I have outboard tuners that I send via HDMI input. Though some of the "secondary" channels that are 480i are sketchy, but that's on the broadcaster cramming them alongside their main feed. (If anyone cares about Laff, Grit, AntennaTV, etc).

scott s.

#66 ·
I had time tonight so I went to Best Buy. It was nice and empty. The guy who talked to me said he was the Sony specialist. Of course he said the Sony was better than the LG with the processor and told me about the award that it won but you have to spend 3500 for that TV. He said they would never allow you to play your own source and they don't have any other source. Obviously they do not want you to see what your cable TV looks like. He said they leave their TVs on 24 hours a day and one of them actually got some burning. What a waste having them on when the store is closed. He said categorically I would not be happy with the Vizio TV. He did confirm if you get the 24-month no interest that you can buy one TV and return it within 15 days and then buy another one with no interest. So at least that is good as far as a return policy. So I guess I will just wait and put my plasma boards in and go from there. I forgot to ask him about something I thought I saw online that Best Buy wood honor Black Friday pricing even if you bought your TV today and I cannot find where I saw that

#68 ·
Your post was hard to read (font color was dark). BB used to be a good place to go to check out tv's but it seems that the more aware folks become, the less likely they are to be accommodating to those who are not wowed by the Torch Mode presentations. I guess they are afraid that you will introduce some virus to their demo sets by using a USB stick to play vids. I would agree about his assessment of Vizio tv's. I've had two in the past and they were just krap. That has probably changed with the newer sets but I will never purchase another Vizio as my primary. Black Friday (Week) can be a smoke and mirrors time so just be careful, and do your homework before you take the plunge.

#71 ·
Thanks for info, everyone! Just to clarify, I don't actually prefer 1080p, mainly because I've never actually seen 4k content (sad, I know), so don't have any comparison. :eeksurprise: So I would like to move to 4k over time, starting with upgrading Netflix service and getting an AppleTV 4k (or maybe/hoping/if Apple announces a new one soon, upgrade to that model). I wish we had bought an XBoxOne X, but that ship might have sailed....hm.

I think the C9 is still a viable candidate, in any case, the only minuses for me being the cost and that I don't have a lot 100% 4k content (we don't watch a ton of dramas, either, although I'm sci-fa fan so watch Expanse on Prime, etc). That being said--can anyone recommend a solid performing non-OLED set in the 65" range?

#80 ·
It's really hard to recommend non-OLED sets to someone coming from plasma because LCDs never caught up in image quality. You would end up "upgrading" to worse IQ. I guess my only advice would be to either try and repair your plasma, or check Craigslist/Facebook Marketplace for a replacement plasma. They can be had really cheap and, with a little legwork, you could get a very nice display.

BTW, The Expanse is in UHD on Amazon Prime. It looks AMAZING on an OLED, and on a plasma too, for what it's worth. I'm a huge fan of the show. Can't wait to watch the new season in a few weeks!

#78 ·
It can happen out of the box, and if it's severe people will return their panel. If you can get your plasma up & running again, you might take a look at a 3% near black slide on that for comparison, though. OLED tech can get very dark, but the uniformity just above black is not perfect; although it should be getting better over the years. On most other TV's I suspect you'd have trouble differentiating 3% from 0% or 5%.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.