Sony Master Series A9G OLED IMAX Enhanced TV Review - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes
  • 6 Post By AVS Forum News & Reviews
  • 3 Post By picturequality
  • 2 Post By BillP
Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 10-28-2019, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
AVS Forum News & Reviews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Sony Master Series A9G OLED IMAX Enhanced TV Review

The Sony Master Series A9G OLED is among the finest 4K TVs you can buy. It is a technological tour de force that delivers stunning picture quality with a seamless Android TV experience. It’s a shockingly thin, modern, minimalist expression of the state-of-the-art in TVs. The A9G is an IMAX Enhanced TV, offering picture quality that makes the most of HDR 4K content. And with its unique Acoustic Surface Audio+ sound, it does not need speakers because the screen itself is a speaker.

Click here to read more.
AVS Forum News & Reviews is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 Old 11-07-2019, 08:40 PM
Member
 
jtfields's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Anyone have a direct comparison between this and the LGs?
jtfields is offline  
post #3 of 22 Old 11-08-2019, 05:52 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
BillP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: PA
Posts: 14,751
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtfields View Post
Anyone have a direct comparison between this and the LGs?
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...54-a9g-c9.html

Sony A9G, Oppo 205, Parasound JC2, Parasound A21, Sonus Faber Olympica IIIs
BillP is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 22 Old 11-08-2019, 10:34 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtfields View Post
Anyone have a direct comparison between this and the LGs?

The tvs are similar it comes down to how you plan on using it.

Movies A9G
Gaming LGC9
Motion A9G
Upscaling A9G
BillP, mik2h and TheSonyExperience like this.
picturequality is online now  
post #5 of 22 Old 11-09-2019, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 973
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 621 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtfields View Post
Anyone have a direct comparison between this and the LGs?
My opinion based on E9 vs A9F:

HDR - LG
Dolby Vision - LG
Motion - Tie
Upscaling - Tie
Gradation handling - Sony
Noise reduction - Sony
Near black - Panasonic. I compared the same scene in E9, A9F and GZ1000.
LG is brighter, which helps significantly in Dolby Vision & HDR.

Sony 65 A9F, LG 65 E9
New_to_4K is online now  
post #6 of 22 Old 11-09-2019, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
BillP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: PA
Posts: 14,751
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by New_to_4K View Post
My opinion based on E9 vs A9F:

HDR - LG
Dolby Vision - LG
Motion - Tie
Upscaling - Tie
Gradation handling - Sony
Noise reduction - Sony
Near black - Panasonic. I compared the same scene in E9, A9F and GZ1000.
LG is brighter, which helps significantly in Dolby Vision & HDR.
Listing Motion Handling and Upscaling as a tie is certainly the minority opinion. Most would say the Sony is better for those, although LG has narrowed the gap this year.
hughh and lsorensen like this.

Sony A9G, Oppo 205, Parasound JC2, Parasound A21, Sonus Faber Olympica IIIs
BillP is online now  
post #7 of 22 Old 11-11-2019, 07:13 PM
Senior Member
 
gutcheck2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 443
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Saying the motion is the same is either evidence you didn’t really pay attention or you didn’t spend time with the TV’s. The Sony curb stomps the Lag in motion. So much so I sold my LG after four months. The Sony BLOWS It away in this area. I agree the LG is brighter but the artifacting is terrible.
gutcheck2001 is offline  
post #8 of 22 Old 11-11-2019, 07:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Cam1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: El paso
Posts: 5,478
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3067 Post(s)
Liked: 3789
^he owns both sets...so what is he missing? Bottom line is that motion is subjective. Is it that hard to believe that the LG can compete with the all mighty Sony

Last edited by Cam1977; 11-11-2019 at 07:52 PM.
Cam1977 is offline  
post #9 of 22 Old 11-12-2019, 02:53 AM
 
Menarini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: India/Working abroad
Posts: 1,063
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 894 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by gutcheck2001 View Post
Saying the motion is the same is either evidence you didn’t really pay attention or you didn’t spend time with the TV’s. The Sony curb stomps the Lag in motion. So much so I sold my LG after four months. The Sony BLOWS It away in this area. I agree the LG is brighter but the artifacting is terrible.
And this blows away your sony oled in this area

Menarini is offline  
post #10 of 22 Old 11-12-2019, 04:45 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 973
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 621 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by gutcheck2001 View Post
Saying the motion is the same is either evidence you didn’t really pay attention or you didn’t spend time with the TV’s. The Sony curb stomps the Lag in motion. So much so I sold my LG after four months. The Sony BLOWS It away in this area. I agree the LG is brighter but the artifacting is terrible.
Didn't felt Sony stomp LG in motion. Only Gradation and Noise reduction was superior. HDR and Dolby Vision is amazing on LG, I will literally turn-off movie on A9F and watch the same on LG. LG's implementation of DV and HDR is something Sony can only dream-off.

BTW, gradation is only superior on Sony in low quality content.

Sony 65 A9F, LG 65 E9
New_to_4K is online now  
post #11 of 22 Old 11-12-2019, 02:02 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 353
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtfields View Post
Anyone have a direct comparison between this and the LGs?
same dilemma here
Ziba Ji is offline  
post #12 of 22 Old 11-12-2019, 04:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,518
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1023 Post(s)
Liked: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by New_to_4K View Post
Didn't felt Sony stomp LG in motion. Only Gradation and Noise reduction was superior. HDR and Dolby Vision is amazing on LG, I will literally turn-off movie on A9F and watch the same on LG. LG's implementation of DV and HDR is something Sony can only dream-off.

BTW, gradation is only superior on Sony in low quality content.
Wondering why, are either of your TVs calibrated? When I look at the shootouts the LG and Sony are so close. Sony does seem to,have some DV dimness, but looking at all the reviews and shootouts the LG and Sony are very close for SDR and HDR. I am contemplating 77 C9 vs. A9G and all the reviews I read them as Sony tracks to keep picture as accurate as intended and then tries to make each scene as bright as possible without sacrificing directors intent. I think LG is more focused on pop and appealing to the mainstream viewer while sacrificing purists.

Looking at Vicent’s review of the Sony he point out that under normal viewing the Sony holds its own for APL even though it does not get as bright under the benchmarks.

If properly calibrated the LG and Sony should, have very similar PQ with Sony edging out on motion, upscaling, and color, accuracies.

That said I am still undecided as I like my LG C7 and knowing the C9 is better and close to the Sony I need to decide if less than stellar DV and better tone mapping trump more pop.

LG 65C7P (Also XBR65X900E and XBR55X900E)
Denon x7200WA
Oppo BD-203
Klipsch RP-280F / RC-62ii / RP-140SA / RS-35 / RS-25
Dual PSA V1800s
kluken is offline  
post #13 of 22 Old 11-12-2019, 08:10 PM
 
Menarini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: India/Working abroad
Posts: 1,063
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 894 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Directors intent, creators intent is all marketing fluff. Every tv tone maps for HDR. So it's sony deciding how the highlights above its peak luminance capability are supposed to be handled. Which director tells you to watch hdr tone mapped whichever way the tv manufacturer decides? But since the peak luminance capability of tv's are behind HDR encoded content, every manufacturer implements their own tone mapping algorithm.
Menarini is offline  
post #14 of 22 Old 11-13-2019, 01:07 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 973
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 621 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Creators intent is marketing fluff. Netflix calibrated mode on default is so dark and dull, wonder which movie makers wanted us to watch their creation in such way. If we're supposed to watch original content in dark and dull mode, the content creators would have given that look to their creation during film making / production not through tv algorithms.

Sony 65 A9F, LG 65 E9
New_to_4K is online now  
post #15 of 22 Old 11-13-2019, 01:38 AM
 
Menarini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: India/Working abroad
Posts: 1,063
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 894 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Netflix calibrated mode is indeed meh, it exists on sony oleds and panasonic oleds and seems to be the same implementation.Same complaints of making the picture darker exist on panasonic oleds as they do on sony. I have yet to see a perceptual advantage of netflix mode, seems to just lower the APL. Next year some manufacturers are getting ready to introduce 'Filmmaker Mode' on their tv's (which you could turn on for any movie content you're watching), I doubt it'll be any better.
Menarini is offline  
post #16 of 22 Old 11-13-2019, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member
 
hifi59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 745
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by New_to_4K View Post
My opinion based on E9 vs A9F:

HDR - LG
Dolby Vision - LG
Motion - Tie
Upscaling - Tie
Gradation handling - Sony
Noise reduction - Sony
Near black - Panasonic. I compared the same scene in E9, A9F and GZ1000.
LG is brighter, which helps significantly in Dolby Vision & HDR.
I believe that every respectable calibrator that has had hands on these Oleds will disagree with some of this.

If you're talkin, you ain't learnin.
hifi59 is offline  
post #17 of 22 Old 11-13-2019, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
D-Nice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 16,917
Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1947 Post(s)
Liked: 3777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarini View Post
Directors intent, creators intent is all marketing fluff. Every tv tone maps for HDR. So it's sony deciding how the highlights above its peak luminance capability are supposed to be handled. Which director tells you to watch hdr tone mapped whichever way the tv manufacturer decides? But since the peak luminance capability of tv's are behind HDR encoded content, every manufacturer implements their own tone mapping algorithm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by New_to_4K View Post
Creators intent is marketing fluff. Netflix calibrated mode on default is so dark and dull, wonder which movie makers wanted us to watch their creation in such way. If we're supposed to watch original content in dark and dull mode, the content creators would have given that look to their creation during film making / production not through tv algorithms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarini View Post
Netflix calibrated mode is indeed meh, it exists on sony oleds and panasonic oleds and seems to be the same implementation.Same complaints of making the picture darker exist on panasonic oleds as they do on sony. I have yet to see a perceptual advantage of netflix mode, seems to just lower the APL. Next year some manufacturers are getting ready to introduce 'Filmmaker Mode' on their tv's (which you could turn on for any movie content you're watching), I doubt it'll be any better.
HDR is not, nor has it ever been, about a brighter image compared to SDR. The “marketing fluff” comes from those who claim this nonsense.

HDR was designed for dark room viewing. That is why the majority of HDR based movies is 100 nits or less. Only specular highlights (i.e. explosions, fire, laser beams, etc) were meant to go above and beyond 100 nits. So if you truly respect video art, watch HDR in a dim/dark environment.

You are correct in stating tone mapping is not creator’s intent. Tone mapping is an industry agreed band-aid plain and simple.
D-Nice is offline  
post #18 of 22 Old 11-13-2019, 09:54 AM
 
Menarini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: India/Working abroad
Posts: 1,063
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 894 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post
HDR is not, nor has it ever been, about a brighter image compared to SDR. The “marketing fluff” comes from those who claim this nonsense.

HDR was designed for dark room viewing. That is why the majority of HDR based movies is 100 nits or less. Only specular highlights (i.e. explosions, fire, laser beams, etc) were meant to go above and beyond 100 nits. So if you truly respect video art, watch HDR in a dim/dark environment.

You are correct in stating tone mapping is not creator’s intent. Tone mapping is an industry agreed band-aid plain and simple.
In the two posts of mine you quoted, I did not state or imply that HDR is all about brightness. HDR is about dynamic range - the best separation of black and white. The 'base' image in HDR is at SDR brightness level, the specular highlights on top are what go to 1000 nits or 4000 nits. For example, a dark outdoor scene would have the background at SDR brightness levels and a street light in the scene at 1000 or 4000 nits, to make your eyes perceive the best dynamic range.
My point in the posts you quoted was simply about Netflix Calibrated mode doing nothing but making the overall image dimmer compared to when netflix calibrated mode is not used. On a perceptual level I see no advantage that using netflix calibrated mode brings to the picture other than just making netflix appear dimmer than when not using the mode. And it's the same on both sony and panasonic oleds. Filmmaker mode which would be introduced next year on some tv's better be worthwhile.
Menarini is offline  
post #19 of 22 Old 11-13-2019, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
D-Nice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 16,917
Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1947 Post(s)
Liked: 3777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarini View Post
In the two posts of mine you quoted, I did not state or imply that HDR is all about brightness. HDR is about dynamic range - the best separation of black and white. The 'base' image in HDR is at SDR brightness level, the specular highlights on top are what go to 1000 nits or 4000 nits. For example, a dark outdoor scene would have the background at SDR brightness levels and a street light in the scene at 1000 or 4000 nits, to make your eyes perceive the best dynamic range.
My point in the posts you quoted was simply about Netflix Calibrated mode doing nothing but making the overall image dimmer compared to when netflix calibrated mode is not used. On a perceptual level I see no advantage that using netflix calibrated mode brings to the picture other than just making netflix appear dimmer than when not using the mode. And it's the same on both sony and panasonic oleds. Filmmaker mode which would be introduced next year on some tv's better be worthwhile.
Sorry, my response was not geared toward you. I just wanted to add your posts because it relates to what most “think” about HDR content. Regarding Netflix Calibrated mode, I think they are using 80 nits as the “base” for content and that is why it looks dimmer. I’ll have to pull up their spec sheet again to verify.
D-Nice is offline  
post #20 of 22 Old Yesterday, 06:10 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I've got no desire to drop $3K+ on a TV that has the ability to one day be ruined forever (Burn-in). I have never owned a modern day Sony TV and always wondered why they rave about the android TV interface. Half (possibly less) of America uses iOS. So, Android doesn't interest me. I prefer the Roku interface personally. Can anyone who is an iOS and MacOS primary user comment about the Android interface?
Kevrock17 is offline  
post #21 of 22 Unread Today, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lsorensen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,666
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1451 Post(s)
Liked: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevrock17 View Post
I've got no desire to drop $3K+ on a TV that has the ability to one day be ruined forever (Burn-in). I have never owned a modern day Sony TV and always wondered why they rave about the android TV interface. Half (possibly less) of America uses iOS. So, Android doesn't interest me. I prefer the Roku interface personally. Can anyone who is an iOS and MacOS primary user comment about the Android interface?
Android TV and Android on phone/tablet is NOT the same interface. Same OS underneat, but not same interface. Not even the same Apps.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
lsorensen is online now  
post #22 of 22 Unread Today, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
BillP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: PA
Posts: 14,751
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevrock17 View Post
I've got no desire to drop $3K+ on a TV that has the ability to one day be ruined forever (Burn-in).
Then why post in an A9G thread? If you don't want an OLED, that's fine. But you are missing out on the best type of display (and best PQ) available today. The risk of burn-in is low (as it was with plasma), provided you don't have it on a static logo like CNN 24/7.

Sony A9G, Oppo 205, Parasound JC2, Parasound A21, Sonus Faber Olympica IIIs
BillP is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
imax enhanced , sony a9g oled



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off