which one should i get? OLED65C9AUA or 65EF9500 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 11-14-2019, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 8
which one should i get? OLED65C9AUA or 65EF9500

hey guys,

I have the opportunity to get brand new, either the new 65" C9, or the older 65" EF9500 , through a sales spiff program at work.

what are the pros and cons of each, which one would be the better TV to have? This will be wall mounted above my fireplace

3D is a nice feature of the older model, but i own like 3 titles on blue ray that are 3D, so it wouldnt be missed , its not a deciding factor

whats everyone's opinions on these two OLED models?
stickpony is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old 11-14-2019, 04:43 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
BillP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: PA
Posts: 14,783
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked: 524
Well, one is a 2019 model, and the other is a 2015/2016 model. How on earth is there such an old model available new? Are you sure it's not a demo sitting around somewhere for years?
The OLEDs have gotten better each year (brighter, better upscaling, better motion handling, less banding and other uniformity issues). So unless you really want/need 3D, I would go with the C9.

Sony A9G, Oppo 205, Parasound JC2, Parasound A21, Sonus Faber Olympica IIIs
BillP is offline  
post #3 of 15 Old 11-14-2019, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post
Well, one is a 2019 model, and the other is a 2015/2016 model. How on earth is there such an old model available new? Are you sure it's not a demo sitting around somewhere for years?
The OLEDs have gotten better each year (brighter, better upscaling, better motion handling, less banding and other uniformity issues). So unless you really want/need 3D, I would go with the C9.
ok, so side by side, the C9 will have the better picture, hands down? or is there some areas where the older model might excel?

yes, sure its new, its old stock, but its new non-the less. the sales spiff programs for large corporations buy up stock in large volume, and sometimes they sit on these thinsg for years until a sales person pics up the electronics gear
stickpony is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 15 Old 11-14-2019, 06:49 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
BillP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: PA
Posts: 14,783
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked: 524
Yes, the C9 will have a better picture. The only advantage of the older display is 3D. Only you can decide which is most important to you - 3D capability, or the better 2D picture.

Sony A9G, Oppo 205, Parasound JC2, Parasound A21, Sonus Faber Olympica IIIs
BillP is offline  
post #5 of 15 Old 11-14-2019, 06:56 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
BillP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: PA
Posts: 14,783
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked: 524
Here's another consideration. Netflix will stop supporting DV on older models, such as that 3D display.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post58745428

Sony A9G, Oppo 205, Parasound JC2, Parasound A21, Sonus Faber Olympica IIIs
BillP is offline  
post #6 of 15 Old 11-14-2019, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post
Here's another consideration. Netflix will stop supporting DV on older models, such as that 3D display.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post58745428
another good consideration. im going with the C9. what si the recoemmended wall mount for it? does she use a standard VESA mount, or does it have a specialized LG mount
stickpony is offline  
post #7 of 15 Old 11-14-2019, 08:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dianabol5mg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 1,042
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickpony View Post
ok, so side by side, the C9 will have the better picture, hands down? or is there some areas where the older model might excel?

yes, sure its new, its old stock, but its new non-the less. the sales spiff programs for large corporations buy up stock in large volume, and sometimes they sit on these thinsg for years until a sales person pics up the electronics gear
How much for the ef9500? I would love another one.

Sony 65A1E
LG 65EF9500
LG 55EG9100
Samsung 60F8500
LG UP870 Multi-Region
Dianabol5mg is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old 11-14-2019, 10:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bobknavs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Danbury, CT, USA
Posts: 4,850
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2444 Post(s)
Liked: 1743
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickpony View Post
another good consideration. im going with the C9. what si the recoemmended wall mount for it? does she use a standard VESA mount, or does it have a specialized LG mount
300 X 200 mm VESA mount.

However, the VESA mount is not centered on the back of the TV. It's nearer the bottom. See the attached. (The red rectangle is around the 4 holes.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OLED65C9.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	2641348  
bobknavs is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old 11-15-2019, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianabol5mg View Post
How much for the ef9500? I would love another one.
HI Mr Dbol, nice username

its not purchased with dollars, but purchased with SPIFF points that i accumulated for various sales. unfortunately, i just spent them on the C9, so now they are depleted, it will probably be 6 months before i build up enough to get the ef9500. so maybe in 6 months, if my employer still has the ef9500 in stock, you and I can circle back around to this and see if you still want another ef9500
stickpony is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old 11-15-2019, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
300 X 200 mm VESA mount.

However, the VESA mount is not centered on the back of the TV. It's nearer the bottom. See the attached. (The red rectangle is around the 4 holes.)
thanks for that. pretty poor design to have the entire load at the bottom...... i wonder why they did that
stickpony is offline  
post #11 of 15 Old 11-15-2019, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bobknavs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Danbury, CT, USA
Posts: 4,850
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2444 Post(s)
Liked: 1743
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickpony View Post
thanks for that. pretty poor design to have the entire load at the bottom...... i wonder why they did that
The basic panel is plastic with a sheet metal backing. (That's if it is the same as my B7.) It's light, if somewhat flimsy. The bottom bump is much thicker, and contains the electronics.
bobknavs is offline  
post #12 of 15 Old 11-15-2019, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 9,513
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5543 Post(s)
Liked: 3946
I have the EF9500, and it doesnt support Dolby Vision, and never will. The peak brightness in the EF9500 is around 540 nits, barely good enough for HDR10. I have the E6 in addition to the 9500, and the E6 is better is every way and supports DV. The 9500 is a 2015 model, the E6 a 2016 model. If you want 3D, and DV, go for the E6 if it's available. If 3D is not important, the C9 without a doubt.
wxman is offline  
post #13 of 15 Old 11-15-2019, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lsorensen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,707
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1475 Post(s)
Liked: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post
Here's another consideration. Netflix will stop supporting DV on older models, such as that 3D display.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post58745428
Pretty sure the 9500 never had DV in the first place.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
lsorensen is offline  
post #14 of 15 Old 11-15-2019, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
BillP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: PA
Posts: 14,783
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsorensen View Post
Pretty sure the 9500 never had DV in the first place.
True. Another reason to get the C9.

Sony A9G, Oppo 205, Parasound JC2, Parasound A21, Sonus Faber Olympica IIIs
BillP is offline  
post #15 of 15 Old 11-16-2019, 06:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dianabol5mg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 1,042
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickpony View Post
HI Mr Dbol, nice username

its not purchased with dollars, but purchased with SPIFF points that i accumulated for various sales. unfortunately, i just spent them on the C9, so now they are depleted, it will probably be 6 months before i build up enough to get the ef9500. so maybe in 6 months, if my employer still has the ef9500 in stock, you and I can circle back around to this and see if you still want another ef9500
Please do. Much appreciated.

Sony 65A1E
LG 65EF9500
LG 55EG9100
Samsung 60F8500
LG UP870 Multi-Region
Dianabol5mg is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off