2016 B6 Firmware Update Poll - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: Your thoughts on your B6 Firmware
I am on the latest firmware and DO NOT notice any elevated black levels 5 83.33%
I am on the latest firmware and DO notice elevated black levels but it DOES NOT affect my enjoyment of the tv 0 0%
I am on the latest firmware and DO notice elevated black levels and DOES affect my enjoyment of the tv 1 16.67%
I am on the latest firmware and would revert back to pre-elevated black levels if I could 0 0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By Micolash
  • 1 Post By Dave_6
  • 2 Post By ratbuddy
  • 1 Post By tanis38
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 11-20-2019, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
tanis38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Question 2016 B6 Firmware Update Poll

Greetings fellow B6 owners! I wanted to get a general consensus from everyone on their current thoughts on their B6’s, especially if you are on the latest firmware.

I never update my B6 after firmware 4.x.x (forget the exact version I am on, but it was the one before HDR game mode got darker?). After hearing about the elevated blacks issue in following firmware updates and losing perfect blacks, I decided I would not be updating my set.

However, several updates have come out and some seem to add general improvements to the set. I am torn on whether or not to update (I am also pretty tired of canceling the update pop-up every time I turn the set on – I know there is someway to block the web address in my router, but networking isn’t my forte).

So if you can take 10 seconds and answer the poll, I’d appreciate it. Also, if I left off an answer (I am sure I did), please feel free to chime in.

Thanks in advance!
tanis38 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 11-20-2019, 10:26 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 412
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 202
I am on the latest FW and I do not notice any elevated blacks. However I DID have elevated blacks on the prior FW (5.something) that greatly upset me. I updated to the latest FW because I didn't know how to revert to prior FW and I figured I had nothing to lose.

I believe someone else in the B6 thread shared my experience. But many did not and still report elevated blacks on the latest FW. Either way, LG has never even acknowledged this issue so it will never be fixed. If you are on the stock FW, then just stick with it. The newer FW does not actually offer any benefits other than new screensavers. My B6 also runs slower compared to how it used to, and that's almost certainly due to FW updates. If I were you I would just disconnect the TV from the internet and use an ATV or Fire TV instead.
SinGA likes this.

Sony 55A9F
LG 55B6

Last edited by Micolash; 11-20-2019 at 10:32 AM.
Micolash is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 11-20-2019, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
tanis38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micolash View Post
I am on the latest FW and I do not notice any elevated blacks. However I DID have elevated blacks on the prior FW (5.something) that greatly upset me. I updated to the latest FW because I didn't know how to revert to prior FW and I figured I had nothing to lose.

I believe someone else in the B6 thread shared my experience. But many did not and still report elevated blacks on the latest FW. Either way, LG has never even acknowledged this issue so it will never be fixed. If you are on the stock FW, then just stick with it. The newer FW does not actually offer any benefits other than new screensavers. My B6 also runs slower compared to how it used to, and that's almost certainly due to FW updates. If I were you I would just disconnect the TV from the internet and use an ATV or Fire TV instead.
Thanks for your input, Micolash! I actually like the built in apps for Netflix, YouTube and Amazon Prime, so I won't be able to disconnect my tv from the internet. I guess cancelling the Update message will have to continue.

Another side effect of not being on the latest firmware is that I cannot download the Disney+ app. It won't download since I am not up-to-date o the firmware. I can still see D+ fine with the Xbox App, but unfortunately I cannot get Dolby Vision through the Xbox. Oh well.
tanis38 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 10 Old 11-20-2019, 06:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dave_6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 1,824
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I made the mistake of updating mine to the latest firmware last week and I regret it. I notice the 'glowing blacks' even with some light in the room. As I type this, I am trying to revert back to 04.31.20 but I'm not having any luck making it work. I'm using this link here: https://github.com/joey-astrologo/OLED55-65B6-Downgrade

I'm hoping it's something I'm doing wrong and not the TV blocking the downgrade. I know one of the later updates blocked owners from being able to downgrade.
tanis38 likes this.

LG OLED65B6P
Oppo UDP-203
Denon AVR-X4200W
PS4 Pro
Xbox One X
Dave_6 is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 11-20-2019, 06:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ratbuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,185
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked: 1238
Just checked, I'm on 05.30.25, no issues with black levels.
tanis38 and SinGA like this.
ratbuddy is online now  
post #6 of 10 Old 11-20-2019, 06:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,157
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 756 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Would've liked to have seen an answer option that I'm sticking with old firmware due to the raised blacks issue. I wonder how many people are doing that.


Also, I'm surprised anyone is letting their LG TVs connect to their WiFi ever since LG was busted a few years ago for their TVs scanning people's devices on their network and reading file names (and who knows what else). I actually had our B6 connected to our home network and the personal firewall on our Windows desktop was showing constant connection attempts from the LG OLED. Very strange considering I wasn't running PLEX or any other app on the TV that would require access to files on the desktop. Needless to say, after seeing this odd behavior, the LG has been cut off from the home network, and using Fire and Roku devices instead.


If your router has the option, and you don't serve media or other files from your home devices to the LG TV, I suggest adding the LG TV to your guest network and checking the option in your router (if it exists) to not allow guests to access your local network (internet only). This is just good practice to isolate your devices from the other devices on your network, unless they require access.

LG OLED65B6P
no1special is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 11-21-2019, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
tanis38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_6 View Post
I made the mistake of updating mine to the latest firmware last week and I regret it. I notice the 'glowing blacks' even with some light in the room. As I type this, I am trying to revert back to 04.31.20 but I'm not having any luck making it work. I'm using this link here: https://github.com/joey-astrologo/OLED55-65B6-Downgrade

I'm hoping it's something I'm doing wrong and not the TV blocking the downgrade. I know one of the later updates blocked owners from being able to downgrade.
Ugh, sorry to hear that and thanks for the feedback.

I read that in one of the more recent updates LG removed the ability to revert to older firmware. Not sure if someone figured out how to bypass that already, but I know the old method of going back stopped working with one of those updates.
Dave_6 likes this.
tanis38 is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 11-21-2019, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
tanis38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1special View Post
Would've liked to have seen an answer option that I'm sticking with old firmware due to the raised blacks issue. I wonder how many people are doing that.
Yup, thought about that like a minute after I published the poll. D'oh!
tanis38 is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 11-26-2019, 08:19 AM
Member
 
Pir8pete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: C A N A D A
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Here's a program to downgrade or update your TV's firmware over your local network using a windows PC. I have tested it myself on windows 7 with a Asus 86U router and it worked great, very easy to use nothing special to setup on windows or the router. My TV has the latest firmware version to date Nov. 26, 2019 and it still lets me downgrade.


I have modified the configuration settings to work on a 2017 W7 usa/Can version but you can do the same for your make and model just following the guide below;

Code:
1. Must place LgDTVupDater folder in C:\
2. Open LgDTVUpDater > dns > AcrylicHosts.txt
3. Change 192.168.XXX.XXX with your local IP address
4. Run startDNS.bat and DO NOT CLOSE
5. Run startHTTP.bat and DO NOT CLOSE
6. In TV Menu > Network Settings > Ethernet/WiFi > Edit >  Uncheck Set Automatically > Change DNS IP to local IP address >  Connect
7. In General > About This TV > Check For Updates

To stop the update nag block; or leave TV DNS server set to local IP

        snu.lge.com
        su.lge.com
        lgtvonline.lge.com


HOW-TO create a new config file for your model;

1. Change IP address in dns > AcrylicHosts.txt file to your local IP address, run startDNS.bat and startHTTP.bat
2. Change TV's DNS server to your local IP address and check for updates
3. Open LgDTVUpDater > htdocs > in_dump.txt
4. Change a file name based on the <MODEL_NM> name
5. Update the following settings found in the in_dump.txt file

              <IMAGE_URL> = local IP address that the servers running on
              <IMAGE_SIZE> = firmware size
              <IMAGE_NAME> = firmware file name
              <UPDATE_MAJOR_VER> = first digit of firmware version number
              <UPDATE_MINOR_VER> = second and last digit of firmware version number
              <CDN_URL> = local IP address/complete firmware file name

6. Place firmware file in LgDTVUpDater > htdocs folder
7. Check for updates on TV
http://www.mediafire.com/file/r604hp...DTVUpDater.rar
http://www.mediafire.com/file/opvlar...v_05.80.35.zip


all files are also in my sig below!!!

Last edited by Pir8pete; 11-26-2019 at 08:24 AM.
Pir8pete is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 11-27-2019, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
tanis38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_6 View Post
I'm hoping it's something I'm doing wrong and not the TV blocking the downgrade. I know one of the later updates blocked owners from being able to downgrade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pir8pete View Post
Here's a program to downgrade or update your TV's firmware over your local network using a windows PC. I have tested it myself on windows 7 with a Asus 86U router and it worked great, very easy to use nothing special to setup on windows or the router. My TV has the latest firmware version to date Nov. 26, 2019 and it still lets me downgrade.


I have modified the configuration settings to work on a 2017 W7 usa/Can version but you can do the same for your make and model just following the guide below;
Hey Dave, check out Pir8ete's reply above if you are still interesting in trying to downgrade!
tanis38 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
firmware update , Polls , question

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off