AVS Forum banner

OLED Motion Performance

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  gorman42 
#1 ·
Currently, I have a plasma; it's my third one. My last LCD, which I had before my current plasma, was 120hz and had some menu settings for motion smoothing which created the soap opera effect.

I hated my LCDs. The soap opera effect bothered me the most, but if I didn't have that then I had jutter during motion and/or I had blurring.

... My question: would I hate OLED? Does it handle motion much better than low-end LCD TVs? Motion matters more to me than does contrast ratio, but is OLED motion performance (vs. plasma) good enough so that it wouldn't bother me?

#2 ·
Currently, I have a plasma; it's my third one. My last LCD, which I had before my current plasma, was 120hz and had some menu settings for motion smoothing which created the soap opera effect.

I hated my LCDs. The soap opera effect bothered me the most, but if I didn't have that then I had jutter during motion and/or I had blurring.

... My question: would I hate OLED? Does it handle motion much better than low-end LCD TVs? Motion matters more to me than does contrast ratio, but is OLED motion performance (vs. plasma) good enough so that it wouldn't bother me?[/M
This might sound simplistic, but why don’t you drive down to Best Buy and view a running movie on an OLED. Look at the SONY. Only YOU know YOU.

#7 ·
I'm ignorant... What are the odds that the movie they're playing is 60hz and not 24? The movies that I watch are usually 24. That would throw off the test.

But also, I doubt that they'd let me play with the settings and disable motion effects?
Go somewere were you can check out setting or let them demo settings. Maybe you need to bring your own player and disk. Even better buy a OLED TV check out motion at the house and return the OLED TV after that (make shure that you can return the TV!). Before you go there do some reading on OLED manufacturers motion improvement settings.

24fps...check it out with all motion improvement settings off and low.

#3 ·

... My question: would I hate OLED? Does it handle motion much better than low-end LCD TVs? Motion matters more to me than does contrast ratio, but is OLED motion performance (vs. plasma) good enough so that it wouldn't bother me?[/M
This might sound simplistic, but why don’t you drive down to Best Buy and view a running movie on an OLED. Look at the SONY. Only YOU know YOU.
I'm ignorant... What are the odds that the movie they're playing is 60hz and not 24? The movies that I watch are usually 24. That would throw off the test.

But also, I doubt that they'd let me play with the settings and disable motion effects?

#4 ·
I have owned a plasma since forever as well and I just got a 65" C9
If I look for it it do see some judder but it really doesn't bother me much.

You can look at the setup they have at the local stores but most of them have them turned on by default to soap opera effect and at least in my store they couldn't find the remote to mess with the settings.

#6 ·

This might sound simplistic, but why don’️t you drive down to Best Buy and view a running movie on an OLED. Look at the SONY. Only YOU know YOU.

Very, very, very likely that whatever demo movie that they would be showing (I assume they are not running 100% demo loops), is 24p, especially a Magnolia BB.
Best Buy use to brag that they encouraged audio/video fans to come in and “kick the tires.” Maybe less so now. But challenge them.

#8 ·
If you like plasma "PWM" motion, then you can get about 80% there with current OLEDs by turning on black frame insertion.

If you like motion interpolation, OLEDs do that as well and you can get that soap opera look if you want.

If motion performance is high on your list, I recommend getting a Sony. They have the best motion interpolation algorithms and they are the only OLED manufacturer that properly handles 24p content with black frame insertion turned on.

#12 ·
The best buy Magnolia near me let me sit on the couch with the remote and play with the settings. Of course, I'm a regular there and they know how much I spend :D

Sony does have the best motion though. Not talking about interpolation either, just showing 24p naturally.

#14 ·
My 9G Kuro still beats any 2019 TV in motion.
And I soooo long for the day when this won't be true anymore. Sadly it looks like it won't be in time for when I would be forced to change TV, which is looming closer and closer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.