My LG C9 vs Panasonic GZ1000 Impressions - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 3 Post By Knuck
  • 2 Post By Knuck
  • 1 Post By Latinoheat

post #1 of 15 Old 12-10-2019, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 37
My LG C9 vs Panasonic GZ1000 Impressions

I am writing my impressions to hopefully help members in Canada and Mexico who are considering these models, as our US neighbors do not have direct access to the Panny Oled's yet, although I have heard rumors they are coming in 2020.

There's a great deal of info on the Panny in the European forums such as avforums.com, but not so much on the NA forums. Please note these are my unscientific subjctive impressions based on hours of viewing. I also want to say that both are phenomenal TVs that IMO are the best currently available.

I was surprised by the UK shootout where the C9 came out number one in many important categories. I decided to purchase it because, at that time, it was cheaper than the GZ1000.

After 45 days with my C9, I decided to swap it out for a GZ1000. I may have had a less than ideal C9 sample as my peak brightness was measuring under 650. All other attributes tested fine. I am now over 400 hours on the Panny which is about the same mileage as I had on the C9 when I returned it.

Both sets were calibrated using a C6 HDR2000 meter with the TV's internal pattern generators to D65, Gamma 2.2, 100/cd/m2 night and 120/cd/m2 day. Both calibrated to a dE average below 1 for both grayscale and color.

I am not a gamer so I have no gaming impressions. I understand both sets are suitable for gaming, the C9 perhaps more so as a result of its HDMI 2.1 ports and its lower latency and VRR support. Another advantage to the C9 is its support for eARC which the Panny does not have so if you are streaming ATMOS through the TV apps this may be an advantage.

I use an external sound system so I did not compare the audio. Personally I did not care for the audio from either set. I also considered the more expensive GZ2000, but was not impressed with its built in speakers and did not think the increased image performance from the "pro" panel was worth the price difference, although admittedly I had very limited experience with it. I am sure there is some benefit to the reworked panel and its heavy metal plate. I found the GZ1000 to have such excellent SDR and HDR performance that IMHO I did not think the $1900 CDN price difference was warranted, especially considering most of the internals are the same such as the HCX Pro processor. I also did not like the look of the GZ2000 as much as a result of its sound bar at the bottom of the screen.

Back to the C9, GZ comparison. After several hours with both sets I preferred the GZ1000 for the following reasons. I found the processing, although great on the C9, slightly better on the Panny, especially with 1080i sources. I also found the image to look slightly more natural on the Panny. I also found the Panny to have a more 3d image, probably because the Panny panel I had was brighter than the C9 panel. Had I received a brighter C9 panel, perhaps this would not have been the case. I also observed a noticeable difference on near blacks, especially when looking at the darker gray patterns, notwithstanding the Panny had a brighter panel. Although this may be purely subjective and I did not have the benefit of comparing them side by side, I noticed better near black results in real world material as well. My overall impression was a more natural and pleasing image from the Panny with slightly better contrast throughout the range. Please note the differences are subtle but clearly noticeable.

Overall, I have enjoyed the Panny more than the C9 and have been continuously amazed at its image quality with various sources, including crappy 1080i cable material. The C9, however, is more feature rich and although the UI on the Panny is responsive, the C9 bests it and has much better app selection. This of course can be alleviated by using an external streamer such as Apple TV 4k.
Latinoheat, g_bickle and tigertim like this.

Last edited by Knuck; 12-10-2019 at 10:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-10-2019, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2285 Post(s)
Liked: 1556
[QUOTE=Knuck;58939582]I also observed a noticeable difference on near blacks, especially when looking at the darker gray patterns, notwithstanding the Panny had a brighter panel./QUOTE]

What size panels were you comparing? Did you notice any difference in uniformity on those darker gray patters? Thinks like vignetting (darker or lighter sides) or vertical banding/streaking when looking at dark gray test patterns like full screen 5% gray and below? How about discoloration in different parts of the screen on full-screen white? Please share your results over in the OLED uniformity tracking thread if you get the chance.
post #3 of 15 Old 12-10-2019, 12:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 9
I've gone the other way from the Panny GZ1000 to the LG B9. Brightness I find them to be very similar. Have it set the same and dont notice much of a difference. Overall PQ is the same. I prefer the better app selection and no need for the Apple tv. That's another $250 cost here. The total of $500 difference for the Panny was not worth it. Both 55" models.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 12-10-2019, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I've gone the other way from the Panny GZ1000 to the LG B9. Brightness I find them to be very similar. Have it set the same and dont notice much of a difference. Overall PQ is the same. I prefer the better app selection and no need for the Apple tv. That's another $250 cost here. The total of $500 difference for the Panny was not worth it. Both 55" models.
Mine were the 65" models and my C9 was definetley not the best sample. Did you calibrate your sets?

Quote:
How about discoloration in different parts of the screen on full-screen white? Please share your results over in the OLED uniformity tracking thread if you get the chance.
Posted in the uniformity thread.
post #5 of 15 Old 12-11-2019, 01:04 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 146
To me the biggest advantage by far of a panasonic oled over competitors sony, philips, lg is its near black shadow detail performance. Especislly when we talking of uncalibrated units. Tweaking will improve shadow detail but out of box, panasonic is the best oled in this regard.
post #6 of 15 Old 12-11-2019, 06:20 AM

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 9
My GZ1000 was terrible with discoloration on white. That's why it went back. Hockey looked awful.
post #7 of 15 Old 12-11-2019, 08:42 AM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_42 View Post
My GZ1000 was terrible with discoloration on white. That's why it went back. Hockey looked awful.
Hi, I am planning on buying the GZ1000 and I do watch hockey. As any other owners had this discoloration on white problem too ?
post #8 of 15 Old 12-11-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banner23 View Post
Hi, I am planning on buying the GZ1000 and I do watch hockey. As any other owners had this discoloration on white problem too ?
He does not know what panel you would end up getting, it comes down to panel variance. Most owners threads I have read of the GZ950/1000 have had owners happy with the uniformity of their tv's, some problems of reddish tint have been reported, the low grayscale/banding doesn't seem to be a problem.
post #9 of 15 Old 12-11-2019, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banner23 View Post
Any OLED panel you buy may suffer from these issue as they all come from the same place. Personally, I would trust Panasonic's quality control over LG. As long as the store you purchase it from has a return policy you will be fine.

As I stated above, I watch a lot of hockey and I have zero issues with red tint.
Cam1977 and Latinoheat like this.
post #10 of 15 Old 12-11-2019, 06:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked: 1508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuck View Post
Any OLED panel you buy may suffer from these issue as they all come from the same place. Personally, I would trust Panasonic's quality control over LG. As long as the store you purchase it from has a return policy you will be fine.

As I stated above, I watch a lot of hockey and I have zero issues with red tint.
Zero issues with tint watching hockey here as well.
Cam1977 likes this.

Media room- 65" Panasonic FZ950 OLED, Pioneer Elite VSX-90, Panasonic UBD-820 4K, Klipsch Gallery G28's, Klipsch Sub 12, Klipsch RS-52 II, Optik HD cable

Living room- Sony 4K 79XBRX900B, Onkyo RC-360,HTPC,Klipsch Reference R-62II,Rc52II,PS4
Gaming room -Panasonic ST60, PS3, Wii
post #11 of 15 Old 12-12-2019, 05:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Personally my experience so far is in correlation with the British shootout - LG is the better tv this year. I did had limited experience with the GZ series, much prefer the E9 especially HDR and Dolby Vision.

That being said, I'm seriously considering the GZ2000 as my 3rd tv. Anytime now.

Sony 65 A9F, LG 65 E9
post #12 of 15 Old 12-12-2019, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by New_to_4K View Post
Personally my experience so far is in correlation with the British shootout - LG is the better tv this year. I did had limited experience with the GZ series, much prefer the E9 especially HDR and Dolby Vision.

That being said, I'm seriously considering the GZ2000 as my 3rd tv. Anytime now.
Based on my experience, I think after you spend some time with the GZ you may change your mind depending on your preference. I prefer a more natural image with accurate color to a brighter more vivid image. I found with HDR/DV, the Panny retained the specular highlights better without darkening the entire image. This may also be as a result of its better near black performance.

Last edited by Knuck; 12-12-2019 at 07:55 PM.
post #13 of 15 Old 12-12-2019, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Based on my experience, I think after you spend some time with the GZ you may change your mind depending on your preference. I prefer a more natural image with accurate color to a brighter more vivid image. I found with HDR/DV, the Panny retained the specular highlights better without darkening the entire image. This may also be as a result of its better near black performance.
Agree my experience is based on seeing them extensively, dark scene performance is the selling point to me on panasonic. Their tone mapping looks like a cross between LG and sony. The reason why the british shootout or whatever is immaterial to me is because I don't get my tv calibrated as it's very expensive to get it done here, so why should I care how professionally calibrated tv's look next to one another. I have to care how the tv with default picture mode performs. I prefer the shadow detail on panasonic versus others, compared to my currently owned oled tv as well. Surely never a big difference with these oleds but the little details count. I'm not going to buy out a panasonic just now, having some bedroom renovation and when I finally move to changing my bedroom tv next year, panasonic oled will be high on the consideration list. I will be better off if I look at the next year model (whatever panasonic will call it) and hopefully it has eARC or hdmi 2.1. This year panasonic tv's don't have eARC or hdmi 2.1. I would want my bedroom tv a little more future proof as I don't upgrade those tv's for many years.

Also something I believe that the GZ2000 professional edition is not worth the much higher price, the GZ950 or 1000 is far better value, almost similar picture quality to the GZ2000 which the AVforums video review footage showed.

Last edited by Rysa_105; 12-12-2019 at 09:57 PM.
post #14 of 15 Old 12-13-2019, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4380 Post(s)
Liked: 3814
Quote:
Mine were the 65" models and my C9 was definetley not the best sample. Did you calibrate your sets?

Posted in the uniformity thread.
This is just a good as place to post it as well since that thread is a monster:

Quote:
My observations of uniformity of 65" LG C9 and Panny GZ1000.

I found both sets to have very good uniformity. Didn't notice any vignetting or vertical banding in the darker gray patterns.

I did notice a slight push of red at the top right in a full white screen pattern on the Panny but it was very slight and not noticeable in real world material. After calibration it resolved somewhat but was still visible in the pattern. Being ftom the great white north, I watch a lot of hockey and did not notice any red or orange tint in the ice which I find to be a good real world test.
You won the lottery twice? With Panasonic, that's an easier feat of course.

Is the Panasonic OLED really available in Mexico?
post #15 of 15 Old 12-14-2019, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_42 View Post
Here is a pic taken with a zoomed in iPhone of a game televised from San Jose which has inferior broadcast quality (at least compared to Vancouver) and inferior photographer. It should however show lack of discoloration. Lots of white on the boards, ice, helmet and sweater.

Attachment 2654222
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	White Ice.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	642.5 KB
ID:	2654224  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page