Is OLED the right choice for a gamer and previous Plasma owner? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

post #1 of 35 Old 12-18-2019, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 1
So, have been looking at TV's all year trying to decide what the right choice would be. I bought a TCL 6 series and regretted it due to it having noticeably worse PQ than my Plasma (despite being higher resolution) as well as some horrific uniformity issues, DSE, blooming, etc. I have decided to up the budget and look at higher end LCD's as well as OLED's. So I'm wondering if OLED would be the best choice overall, due to the superior PQ as well as gaming features like VRR and HDMI2.1, etc.

My usage would be the same as my 2011 Panasonic ST30 Plasma, so something like 4-6 hours of games per day (I play a variety of games, and generally haven't played single games more than 100 hours culmative), and a 2-3 hour movie in the evening. Of course, I won't use the TV that much every single day, but I would say that 6-8 hours per day is roughly the average I would use it, with it being something like 70% gaming, 30% other content. Now, while I have heard OLED and gaming do not make good bedfellows due to gaming, I also have had the aforementioned Plasma for 8 years with no burn-in or any other issues, and the same usage I am describing here.

So, would the results be the same for OLED? Does burn-in work differently for them? Are they more, or less susceptible to it than Plasma? Is there anything else I should keep in mind before purchasing one? Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 12-18-2019, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc44135 View Post
Now, while I have heard OLED and gaming do not make good bedfellows
Tell that to LG as they're pushing their C9 as a gaming TV. It has super low input latency, ALLM, VRR and is now G-Sync Compatible.
post #3 of 35 Old 12-18-2019, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by avernar View Post
Quote:
Now, while I have heard OLED and gaming do not make good bedfellows
Tell that to LG as they're pushing their C9 as a gaming TV. It has super low input latency, ALLM, VRR and is now G-Sync Compatible.
I'm aware, haha. Was one of the main things pushing me towards OLED, along with Picture Quality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 Old 12-18-2019, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Quote:
I'm aware, haha. Was one of the main things pushing me towards OLED, along with Picture Quality.
I went from a Panasonic P60GT50 to the LG C9. Gaming in 4K HDR is awesome!

My usage is a mix of streaming (Netflix, Prime, etc) and gaming (PS4 and Xbox) with some movie watching. Not worried about burn in at all.
junior00027 likes this.
post #5 of 35 Old 12-18-2019, 02:56 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 104
OLEDs are far less prone to burn in compared to plasma. If your plasma was fine, your OLED should be fine as well.
post #6 of 35 Old 12-18-2019, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked: 676
For PQ, there is no better display, right now, for gaming, than OLED. As great as the PQ is on some of the very top FALDs, almost all of them need to turn their FALDs off, or way down, in order to give low input lag, so it's either look good or play good.

The LG 9 series has great features for gaming. From the low input lag, to the VRR. Having said that, there are a couple things about OLED that make them not so great for gaming. The instant response is both a gift and a curse for OLED. The Sample & Hold nature makes for a blurrier presentation than you would even expect when doing fast pans in a shooter, for instance.

Then there's BI. People game on OLEDs and don't have BI, so I'm not saying that you can't game on them. I will say that if you plan to play a lot of a game that has a HUD that is Red or Yellow, and doesn't have the option to adjust transparency in the settings, especially if you are playing in HDR or with OLED light very high, that there's a chance you could have an issue if enough of those boxes are ticked. If you ticked all those boxes, I think that it's a good chance, but no one can make guarantees one way or another (except for the poster above me apparently...). Better to know what the potential issues are and make a decision, than to not, is where I'm coming from.
RoadLizard and tanis38 like this.

post #7 of 35 Old 12-18-2019, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I was worried to death about using an OLED for a gaming TV due to the burn-in risk. After settling for a midrange Sony LCD for close to 2 years I finally got an LG C9 a couple months ago and have not regret it one bit. No more blooming, viewing angles are improved, very low input lag, and the contrast can't be beat. Image quality is breathtaking!

I used to have a Samsung plasma that I gamed on for a couple years and never had burn-in or even image retention on. Even if the C9 develops burn-in, it sounds like they are covering panel replacements for customers, even outside the warranty window. I think it's a one time panel replacement though. I'll be happy if I get 3-4 years out of this TV without any signs of it, since I normally replace it with something newer by then anyway.

I say go OLED because once you have one you won't want to settle for anything else.
junior00027 likes this.
post #8 of 35 Old 12-18-2019, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman_Mike View Post
For PQ, there is no better display, right now, for gaming, than OLED. As great as the PQ is on some of the very top FALDs, almost all of them need to turn their FALDs off, or way down, in order to give low input lag, so it's either look good or play good.

The LG 9 series has great features for gaming. From the low input lag, to the VRR. Having said that, there are a couple things about OLED that make them not so great for gaming. The instant response is both a gift and a curse for OLED. The Sample & Hold nature makes for a blurrier presentation than you would even expect when doing fast pans in a shooter, for instance.

Then there's BI. People game on OLEDs and don't have BI, so I'm not saying that you can't game on them. I will say that if you plan to play a lot of a game that has a HUD that is Red or Yellow, and doesn't have the option to adjust transparency in the settings, especially if you are playing in HDR or with OLED light very high, that there's a chance you could have an issue if enough of those boxes are ticked. If you ticked all those boxes, I think that it's a good chance, but no one can make guarantees one way or another (except for the poster above me apparently...). Better to know what the potential issues are and make a decision, than to not, is where I'm coming from.
From what I've read, what you said about FALD is incorrect? Local Dimming has little to no impact on input lag. On my TCL 6 series, there was no discernable difference in latency at all with Local Dimming at "high" vs completely off, but perhaps it varies depending on the TV? As for the rest, I agree there is a risk. But again, if OLED burn-in risk is the same as Plasma or even less prone to it, and the usage I described got me almost 10 years out of my Plasma, maybe it would be alright?
post #9 of 35 Old 12-18-2019, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piker84 View Post
I was worried to death about using an OLED for a gaming TV due to the burn-in risk. After settling for a midrange Sony LCD for close to 2 years I finally got an LG C9 a couple months ago and have not regret it one bit. No more blooming, viewing angles are improved, very low input lag, and the contrast can't be beat. Image quality is breathtaking!

I used to have a Samsung plasma that I gamed on for a couple years and never had burn-in or even image retention on. Even if the C9 develops burn-in, it sounds like they are covering panel replacements for customers, even outside the warranty window. I think it's a one time panel replacement though. I'll be happy if I get 3-4 years out of this TV without any signs of it, since I normally replace it with something newer by then anyway.

I say go OLED because once you have one you won't want to settle for anything else.
I have to admit the weaknesses of LCD are extremely evident coming from a Plasma. DSE, motion blur, and blooming were all extremely evident in the TCL 6 series. How do OLED's fare for screen uniformity? Things like Dirty Screen Effect and such? Was pretty awful on the TCL.
post #10 of 35 Old 12-18-2019, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by avernar View Post
Quote:
I went from a Panasonic P60GT50 to the LG C9. Gaming in 4K HDR is awesome!

My usage is a mix of streaming (Netflix, Prime, etc) and gaming (PS4 and Xbox) with some movie watching. Not worried about burn in at all.
Sounds awesome! 😄
post #11 of 35 Old 12-18-2019, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjaurelio View Post
OLEDs are far less prone to burn in compared to plasma. If your plasma was fine, your OLED should be fine as well.
That is a relief to hear for sure, although there seems to be some debate on it still, going off another post here.
post #12 of 35 Old 12-18-2019, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Like you we have a plasma TV that has been outstanding and, frankly, it still is. In another year or three OLED models should be much more reasonably priced. It is to be hoped they will also improve lag/latency issues as well. They already have excellent picture quality and a wide viewing angle both of which are essential if we are to replace the plasma. Who knows, maybe there will even be more 4K content, but don't hold your breath for that if you're a regular TV and sports viewer.
post #13 of 35 Old 12-19-2019, 03:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1500 Post(s)
Liked: 1493
Quote:

This is a perfect summary of things. If you read the burn in threads you’ll find that the overwhelming majority of cases are due to heavy watching of CNN and MSNBC. Both have red and or yellow in their logos and never leave the screen. Their tickers also contain these colors. Then, for gaming the games that use a red or yellow HUD seem to be a potential problem. Not everyone that watches these channels or plays these games will get BI but it’s more of a risk, it seems.

I still think that BI is overblown and the RTINGS tests are ridiculous as far as how WAY out they are from normal usage. But, I’d still approach and OLED that will be used for heavy gaming with some caution. Keep that OLED light setting down, don’t run the TV in vivid mode, mix in full screen content after a gaming session, etc. I think you’ll probably be OK though.
dfa973 and Stuntman_Mike like this.

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
Panny UBD-420, LG UBK-90
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #14 of 35 Old 12-19-2019, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
From what I've read, what you said about FALD is incorrect? Local Dimming has little to no impact on input lag. On my TCL 6 series, there was no discernable difference in latency at all with Local Dimming at "high" vs completely off, but perhaps it varies depending on the TV? As for the rest, I agree there is a risk. But again, if OLED burn-in risk is the same as Plasma or even less prone to it, and the usage I described got me almost 10 years out of my Plasma, maybe it would be alright?
No, it's true for many FALDs. If you read reviews on a particular set, the reviewer will make mention of it. I've seen that mentioned for TCL sets as well.

FALDs are hard to do, and even harder to do properly. When implementing a FALD, you're talking about processing. Any processing can potentially affect input lag. Even emissive displays can have worse image quality in a game mode vs other modes to get input lag lower.

Also, keep in mind that just because you have LD selected as on, doesn't necessarily mean that it's actually on. Some TVs will show that a setting is off if it's disabled, but others can show it as on, but grayed out, or just straight up show it as on. You can't always go by what the setting says.

Last edited by Stuntman_Mike; 12-19-2019 at 07:43 AM.
post #15 of 35 Old 12-19-2019, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLizard View Post
This is a perfect summary of things. If you read the burn in threads you’ll find that the overwhelming majority of cases are due to heavy watching of CNN and MSNBC. Both have red and or yellow in their logos and never leave the screen. Their tickers also contain these colors. Then, for gaming the games that use a red or yellow HUD seem to be a potential problem. Not everyone that watches these channels or plays these games will get BI but it’s more of a risk, it seems.

I still think that BI is overblown and the RTINGS tests are ridiculous as far as how WAY out they are from normal usage. But, I’d still approach and OLED that will be used for heavy gaming with some caution. Keep that OLED light setting down, don’t run the TV in vivid mode, mix in full screen content after a gaming session, etc. I think you’ll probably be OK though.
Good post. On the Rtings tests. They may not be how people actually use their TVs, but I do think a lot of the findings can be viewed as valid. The testing method doesn't capture the way that a person would normally watch their TV, most likely, but it is consistent with other durability testing for many products. Cars are tested on treadmills of sorts that keep the tires spinning. Mice have their clicks rapidly clicked 100's of thousands of times in rapid succession to test how long switches last, etc.

Definitely not perfect, but more often than not, the baseline that's provided from such testing turns out to be within a reasonable margin of validity. And let's face it, it's pretty much a necessity. You can't always wait to test things the way they would be used in a natural fashion. At least not if you want to get your product out sometime in the next decade lol.

I'd bet LG uses a similar method of continuous torture for testing the life expectancy of their diodes, also.

post #16 of 35 Old 12-19-2019, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
No, it's true for many FALDs. If you read reviews on a particular set, the reviewer will make mention of it. I've seen that mentioned for TCL sets as well.

FALDs are hard to do, and even harder to do properly. When implementing a FALD, you're talking about processing. Any processing can potentially affect input lag. Even emissive displays can have worse image quality in a game mode vs other modes to get input lag lower.

Also, keep in mind that just because you have LD selected as on, doesn't necessarily mean that it's actually on. Some TVs will show that a setting is off if it's disabled, but others can show it as on, but grayed out, or just straight up show it as on. You can't always go by what the setting says.
I don't claim to be an expert on this, but there is a massive difference in image quality between Local Dimming bring in or off. At least on the TCL 6, anyway. Everything looks incredibly washed out. With it on, the picture looks much better (blooming and horrific DSE aside), with no noticeable change in lag. I

Also, while other settings like motion interpolation that do have a massive change to input lag are greyed out while LD can still be selected, which seems to imply it won't increase lag. But maybe some LCD's work differently from others. I will ask about the FALD alternatives to OLED I was interested in (Sony X950G and Samsung Q70R) on the proper forum. But if true for those sets, this is a major reason to select OLED as well for me.
post #17 of 35 Old 12-19-2019, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't claim to be an expert on this, but there is a massive difference in image quality between Local Dimming bring in or off. At least on the TCL 6, anyway. Everything looks incredibly washed out. With it on, the picture looks much better (blooming and horrific DSE aside), with no noticeable change in lag. I

Also, while other settings like motion interpolation that do have a massive change to input lag are greyed out while LD can still be selected, which seems to imply it won't increase lag. But maybe some LCD's work differently from others. I will ask about the FALD alternatives to OLED I was interested in (Sony X950G and Samsung Q70R) on the proper forum. But if true for those sets, this is a major reason to select OLED as well for me.
I don't know about the 6 Series, but I'm pretty sure that the review of the 8 Series mentions that it's disabled in game mode. The 8 Series was a TV that I had interest in, it being the first Mini LED consumer TV, so I did follow more of the info for it.

Also, FALD isn't always completely off for game mode in the situations I mentioned either. Sometimes it's locked to its LD low or mid setting, as opposed to completely off. Not saying this is the case for your TV, I don't know. Just saying in general.

post #18 of 35 Old 12-19-2019, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Get an OLED and don't look back! I was a plasma owner up until they stopped making them and was in the same boat as you. OLED is amazing for gaming, if that is your priority. Low input lag was my main concern and I was not disappointed. I don't really game that much anymore since I don't have the time but I was heavy into Destiny and Destiny 2. No issues whatsoever in regards to input lag, image retention or burn-in (I was doing 2-5 hour sessions, sometimes longer, almost every day). I've been gaming on all my previous plasmas and now my OLED and have NEVER had burn-in on any of them. I did get some image retention on a couple plasmas before but a few hours of regular movie or TV watching cleared it up.

For reference, the plasmas I've owned in the past: Panasonic 42PZ80U, Samsung 50C550G1F, Panasonic 50GT30, Samsung 60F8500

Currently own LG OLED65B7A and LG OLED55B7A (gaming is on the 55")

Gaming on an OLED is the next best thing to gaming on a plasma, so make the jump!

LG OLED65B7A | Denon AVR-X2400H | KEF Q700 | KEF Q600C | KEF Q100 | Sony UBP-X700 | Apple TV 4K
post #19 of 35 Old 12-19-2019, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:

Will definitely keep it in mind for any future FALD LCD's I purchase (if any), and will do my research beforeha buying. Thanks for your insight dude. 🙂

I don't know about the 6 Series, but I'm pretty sure that the review of the 8 Series mentions that it's disabled in game mode. The 8 Series was a TV that I had interest in, it being the first Mini LED consumer TV, so I did follow more of the info for it.

Also, FALD isn't always completely off for game mode in the situations I mentioned either. Sometimes it's locked to its LD low or mid setting, as opposed to completely off. Not saying this is the case for your TV, I don't know. Just saying in general.
Yeah, same. No burn-in on my Plasma. Definitely image retention from time to time, but varied use would always "wash it out", so to speak. Am very tempted by OLED atm.
post #20 of 35 Old 12-19-2019, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2466 Post(s)
Liked: 1430
I bought two used 9G Plasma's years ago with 5000 or less hours. Both had burn in issues. Just becuase folks not see it does not mean it is not there...it probably is. Check out a full black screen, clean source in the dark A week or so ago a guy was complaining about it on the Plasma Forum. Good thing is that if you do not see it is not really a problem for you.

OLED has less burn-in issues and basically with 70% out of 100% or so abuse one can do 5 years without out a problem. When one wants to keep the TV 5-10 years or till is stops working, like 70% of AVS folks i would seriously consider LCD with such abuse.
post #21 of 35 Old 12-19-2019, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post
I bought two used 9G Plasma's years ago with 5000 or less hours. Both had burn in issues. Just becuase folks not see it does not mean it is not there...it probably is. Check out a full black screen, clean source in the dark A week or so ago a guy was complaining about it on the Plasma Forum. Good thing is that if you do not see it is not really a problem for you.

OLED has less burn-in issues and basically with 70% out of 100% or so abuse one can do 5 years without out a problem. When one wants to keep the TV 5-10 years or till is stops working, like 70% of AVS folks i would seriously consider LCD with such abuse.
Image Retention is not Burn-In. People use the terms interchangeably. I abused my plasmas to death and I would actively check to see if there was ever any Burn-In and it never happened. Image Retention will go away and even that is overblown. I have a good eye and notice everything on the screen (whether it's banding, dead/stuck pixels, ghosting, etc.) and Burn-In was NEVER a problem. Does that mean it never happens or that other people may have experienced it? Of course not, but saying that it's there you just don't notice it is completely wrong. Gaming on plasmas, and now OLED's, is the best gaming experience hands down and LCD/LED's are a step down no matter how you slice it.

LG OLED65B7A | Denon AVR-X2400H | KEF Q700 | KEF Q600C | KEF Q100 | Sony UBP-X700 | Apple TV 4K
post #22 of 35 Old 12-19-2019, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post
I bought two used 9G Plasma's years ago with 5000 or less hours. Both had burn in issues. Just becuase folks not see it does not mean it is not there...it probably is. Check out a full black screen, clean source in the dark[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG] A week or so ago a guy was complaining about it on the Plasma Forum. Good thing is that if you do not see it is not really a problem for you.

Oh, I'd never suggest burn-in isn't possible with either Plamsa or OLED. There is plenty of evidence to the contrary. All I was personally stating is that I didn't experience it with my usage case in over 8 years of owning a Plasma (at 8 hours a day on average, I would estimate something like 25000+ hours, give or take a few thousand), and was asking if OLED would be the same. I mean, if I could get 5+ years out of an OLED, that would be great tbh. 10 would be better, but really... a decade is a long time, and I'd probably want something new before then, be it for 8K or whatever else they come up with, just as I did with my Plasma. I don't know if there's really any guarantee an LCD would last a decade or more without a defect either, is there?
post #23 of 35 Old 12-19-2019, 03:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Oh, I'd never suggest burn-in isn't possible with either Plamsa or OLED. There is plenty of evidence to the contrary. All I was personally stating is that I didn't experience it with my usage case in over 8 years of owning a Plasma (at 8 hours a day on average, I would estimate something like 25000+ hours, give or take a few thousand), and was asking if OLED would be the same. I mean, if I could get 5+ years out of an OLED, that would be great tbh. 10 would be better, but really... a decade is a long time, and I'd probably want something new before then, be it for 8K or whatever else they come up with, just as I did with my Plasma. I don't know if there's really any guarantee an LCD would last a decade or more without a defect either, is there?
Didn't last anywhere near that long in my case (2yrs-ish, have around 2 thousand hours on Destiny 1 and 2, but most of the Destiny 1 time was on another set as I got my OLED Nov 2016 and D2 came out Sep 2017), but as always, YMMV. That's also with a 2016 panel that has the normal sized red subpixels and no logo dimming compensation that you have on OLEDs today, though, to be fair.

post #24 of 35 Old 12-19-2019, 04:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2466 Post(s)
Liked: 1430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmax View Post
Image Retention is not Burn-In. People use the terms interchangeably. I abused my plasmas to death and I would actively check to see if there was ever any Burn-In and it never happened. Image Retention will go away and even that is overblown. I have a good eye and notice everything on the screen (whether it's banding, dead/stuck pixels, ghosting, etc.) and Burn-In was NEVER a problem. Does that mean it never happens or that other people may have experienced it? Of course not, but saying that it's there you just don't notice it is completely wrong. Gaming on plasmas, and now OLED's, is the best gaming experience hands down and LCD/LED's are a step down no matter how you slice it.
When you watch a TV channel a lot, like one hour a day for a few years, on a 9G kuro, you eventually will have a black spot on a full black screen where the logo is which also is burn-in. Yes. The guy who sold me that kuro told me that it was the bedroom TV which he used for one specific TV channel. I noticed the spot when i was inspecting the TV.
post #25 of 35 Old 12-19-2019, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:

Didn't last anywhere near that long in my case (2yrs-ish, have around 2 thousand hours on Destiny 1 and 2, but most of the Destiny 1 time was on another set as I got my OLED Nov 2016 and D2 came out Sep 2017), but as always, YMMV. That's also with a 2016 panel that has the normal sized red subpixels and no logo dimming compensation that you have on OLEDs today, though, to be fair.
Tbf in my case tho, I think two thousand hours is considerably more than I have ever spent on a single video game lol, even accounting for replays and such. I'd say 50-100 hours is the most I'd spend on the vast, vast majority of games, with things like movies and streaming in between sessions.
post #26 of 35 Old 12-20-2019, 04:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1500 Post(s)
Liked: 1493
Quote:
Good post. On the Rtings tests. They may not be how people actually use their TVs, but I do think a lot of the findings can be viewed as valid. The testing method doesn't capture the way that a person would normally watch their TV, most likely, but it is consistent with other durability testing for many products. Cars are tested on treadmills of sorts that keep the tires spinning. Mice have their clicks rapidly clicked 100's of thousands of times in rapid succession to test how long switches last, etc.

Definitely not perfect, but more often than not, the baseline that's provided from such testing turns out to be within a reasonable margin of validity. And let's face it, it's pretty much a necessity. You can't always wait to test things the way they would be used in a natural fashion. At least not if you want to get your product out sometime in the next decade lol.

I'd bet LG uses a similar method of continuous torture for testing the life expectancy of their diodes, also.
Sure thing! I’m a software QA guy and we do most of our testing on the "edges" and those rare use cases get tried out a lot to uncover nasty behavior. So, I’m with ya. RTINGS would likely find nothing if they just varied content for 5 hours a day like most of us do. I just don’t like when their test results facilitate the alarmist reactions that some here seem to exhibit. A torture test, while valuable shouldn’t have one conclude that BI is a widespread or almost guaranteed OLED problem. It isn’t.

Stay away from the edges and you won’t find many or any bugs. Right?

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
Panny UBD-420, LG UBK-90
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #27 of 35 Old 12-20-2019, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLizard View Post
Sure thing! I’m a software QA guy and we do most of our testing on the "edges" and those rare use cases get tried out a lot to uncover nasty behavior. So, I’m with ya. RTINGS would likely find nothing if they just varied content for 5 hours a day like most of us do. I just don’t like when their test results facilitate the alarmist reactions that some here seem to exhibit. A torture test, while valuable shouldn’t have one conclude that BI is a widespread or almost guaranteed OLED problem. It isn’t.

Stay away from the edges and you won’t find many or any bugs. Right?
For sure. I don't want to come across as steering people away from OLED as I will probably still buy OLEDs myself. I do want to let people know things to look out for though, and not make it out to be a non worrisome issue either, because I would have appreciated the info myself. Not saying that you are saying that there's nothing to worry about, I'm just speaking generally.

As a former plasma owner who gamed just as much on it as I do now on my OLED, I never had any issues with BI. Reading a lot of the posts from people that said that "if you never had a problem on plasma, then you definitely won't on OLED", led me to believe that to be the case. And maybe it's true for some people, most people? I don't know. I don't think anyone does. My opinion is that they are probably different and shouldn't be compared, but again, that's just my opinion based on my experience and the information that I've gotten from things like Rtings and other's experiences.

It would have been nice to know about the Rtings tests and other's experiences when I first got my OLED though. Not that I wouldn't have bought one, but I would have felt less emboldened to do all the things that I did on my plasma, as I did on my OLED, if I wasn't using it under the idea that it never happened on plasma so there's even less (is less than never a thing lol?) chance it happens on my OLED. Knowing that certain colors are particularly more high risk than others may have led to different use cases that could have avoided some of my issues. I say some, because the main HUD in Destiny which burned in in the lower left corner of the screen, is always up when you're playing so there may have been nothing to do to prevent that save for playing without a HUD. The subclass tree that is also yellow that's visible anytime you're in your character inventory screen, that burned in in the top left corner may have been avoidable though. If you play Destiny, you know that you spend a lot of time changing character attributes, weapons, and managing inventory. Knowing Rtings tests and some experiences of others I may have used the app on my phone to offload a lot of inventory management which may have made a difference for that area.

That's the reason why I think that the tests are still valuable. Not necessarily to tell you what is 100% going to happen, but to let us know what's risk for causing issue. That's why I always tell people that BI potentially IS a real issue, IF you do certain things. It doesn't matter what happened with your plasma, or what happened with someone else's OLED. Do certain things and you are at risk. By all means buy an OLED. Just try to avoid the the things that seem most likely to cause BI as best you can. Also, know that varying content may not mean a whole lot. I might have a few hundred hours of Destiny 2 on my OLED, but before I got it replaced, I had ~12k hours total. So ~11,700 hours was spent watching varied content...

I know people get tired of hearing about BI, and I totally get that. I don't want to come across as being anti OLED or telling people not to buy one. Buy OLEDs. They are the best display tech that we currently have. I just can't not tell people about something that I wish I knew 3 years ago that may not have changed anything, but maybe it might have, as well.
GatoGoat likes this.

post #28 of 35 Old 12-20-2019, 09:24 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 572
I dont keep up on the TV tech a whole lot , im mainly into subwoofers and audio , but the time is coming close to me getting a new TV. Been wanting something close to 80" for the living room , and I am thinking of moving this Tv to my new bar area. Currently have a 70" Sharp Aquos UQ+ , their quasi 4K TV which I believe was an LCD. I bought it new in 2015 and have abused the hell out of it....Gaming , movies , youtube , it being turned on for 24+ hours at a time. I tend to fall asleep in the living room because I need light and noise , there will be the Netflix "are you still watching" notification on all night or a static image from whatever youtube music I am playing...
The TV still works great ,although I am a simpleton when it comes to picture quality so there may be somethings I am missing , but I would get another just bigger given how reliable this one has been. What current TV could put up with all the same abuse without the BI issues or other problems? I dont need the best picture available , just something to play shooting games , watch Netflix/Youtube and be turned on all day lol....From what I am reading OLED is the cats meow , but how would it handle my abuse? Is LCD a better choice for my use? TIA
post #29 of 35 Old 12-20-2019, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatoGoat View Post
I dont keep up on the TV tech a whole lot , im mainly into subwoofers and audio , but the time is coming close to me getting a new TV. Been wanting something close to 80" for the living room , and I am thinking of moving this Tv to my new bar area. Currently have a 70" Sharp Aquos UQ+ , their quasi 4K TV which I believe was an LCD. I bought it new in 2015 and have abused the hell out of it....Gaming , movies , youtube , it being turned on for 24+ hours at a time. I tend to fall asleep in the living room because I need light and noise , there will be the Netflix "are you still watching" notification on all night or a static image from whatever youtube music I am playing...
The TV still works great ,although I am a simpleton when it comes to picture quality so there may be somethings I am missing , but I would get another just bigger given how reliable this one has been. What current TV could put up with all the same abuse without the BI issues or other problems? I dont need the best picture available , just something to play shooting games , watch Netflix/Youtube and be turned on all day lol....From what I am reading OLED is the cats meow , but how would it handle my abuse? Is LCD a better choice for my use? TIA
More than anything else that you said, what I bolded would make me recommend that you choose another tech other than OLED. If you don't need the best PQ, then there's no reason to even risk BI. I'd look at a Samsung QLED, as they have very low input lag for gaming.

If you did go OLED, which may also be fine for your use case, if you wanted to step up to better PQ, I would NOT go to sleep with the OLED on if it's displaying something static that's Red or Yellow, under any circumstances. I would not leave the OLED (or any TV for that matter) on for 24hrs period. Forget about BI. LEDs in an LCD last a lot longer than the organic elements of an OLED, so even if you don't get BI, you're still just wasting the total life of the panel.
GatoGoat likes this.

post #30 of 35 Old 12-20-2019, 10:03 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 572
Quote:
More than anything else that you said, what I bolded would make me recommend that you choose another tech other than OLED. If you don't need the best PQ, then there's no reason to even risk BI. I'd look at a Samsung QLED, as they have very low input lag for gaming.

If you did go OLED, which may also be fine for your use case, if you wanted to step up to better PQ, I would NOT go to sleep with the OLED on if it's displaying something static that's Red or Yellow, under any circumstances. I would not leave the OLED (or any TV for that matter) on for 24hrs period. Forget about BI. LEDs in an LCD last a lot longer than the organic elements of an OLED, so even if you don't get BI, you're still just wasting the total life of the panel.
Somethings gotta waste!! lol...If I dont have something on I cant sleep , so its either me or the TV!! I will definitely look into the Samsung Qled as I was already interested in because of compatibility with our phones...Thanks!
Stuntman_Mike likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page