827Likes

post #1 of 943 Old 01-06-2020, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 459 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9305 Post(s)
Liked: 16471
New LG OLED TVs at CES 2020

New LG OLEDs announced at CES 2020. I am posting this from a plane, but will be landing soon in Vegas. tomorrow morning, the LG booth will be my first stop.

Full press release:

LG OLED TVS MAKE CREATORS’ DREAMS COME TRUE,
BRINGING CINEMA, SPORTS, GAMING TO LIFE IN NEW WAYS

2020 LG OLED and LG NanoCell TVs Ready to Stun with Innovative Design,
Best Picture Quality, Enhanced Features, Wide Selection of Compelling Content

LAS VEGAS, Jan. 6, 2020 – LG Electronics (LG), the world leader in OLED TVs, is raising the bar again in 2020 with 14 new LG OLED models led by three new art-inspired GX Gallery series 4K Ultra HD TVs, 88- and 77-inch class Real 8K models and an all-new OLED screen size – 48-inch. Unveiled at CES® 2020, the new LG OLED TVs – and new 8K and 4K LG NanoCell LCD TVs – are designed to deliver stunning picture quality and innovative design with upgraded performance and artificial intelligence-enabled features that bring movies, sports and video games to life like never before imagined.

At the heart of the latest 8K and 4K LG OLED and 8K LG NanoCell TVs are a number of advanced core technologies, most notably the new α (Alpha) 9 Gen 3 AI Processor. This advanced processor leverages upgraded processing power and artificial intelligence deep learning algorithms to improve on LG’s renowned picture quality and enable a host of specialized features for various types of content including movies, games and sports, taking the user experience to new heights.

LG’s 2020 premium TVs flaunt unique, elegant designs that integrate effortlessly with any home decor. The all-new minimalist Gallery Series takes design to a whole different level with an ultra-thin form factor – the 65-inch model is a mere 20 millimeters (0.79 inches) thin. Paired with an included specially-designed wall mount, these 55-, 65- and 77-inch class models hang completely flush on the wall, providing a dramatic appearance, transforming the OLED into a piece of art.

The GX Gallery series 4K UHD models join the groundbreaking LG OLED WX Wallpaper series (razor-thin 77- and 65-inch models) and the LG SIGNATURE OLED R (model 65RX) to provide genuine space integration and an element of futuristic luxury, elevating their surroundings regardless of whether they’re turned on.

The 2020 LG OLED ZX Real 8K models, delivering four times more detail than 4K TV and 16 times more than HDTV, exceed the strict requirements established by the Consumer Technology Association’s (CTA) official industry definition for 8K Ultra HD TVs. The 88- and 77-inch LG OLED models also surpass the measurement criteria recommended by the International Committee for Display Metrology and are among the first to earn the new CTA 8K Ultra HD logo.

For 2020, while offering new versions of the two popular 4K UHD series (models CX, BX) in 77-, 65- and 55-inch class sizes, LG is also bringing the unparalleled picture quality of LG OLED TV to an all-new screen size – 48-inch. This 4K UHD unit (model OLED48CX) reproduces even sharper picture quality with 8 million-plus pixels on the 48-inch screen, density comparable to that of a 96-inch 8K TV.

The 2020 LG NanoCell TV lineup is highlighted by six Real 8K TV models (75- and 65-inch models in Nano99, Nano97 and Nano95 series), all exceeding the stringent requirements needed to display the official industry 8K UHD logo from CTA.

ULTIMATE CINEMA EXPERIENCE

Combining OLED’s self-emissive technology and absolute blacks with support for Dolby Vision IQ and the UHD Alliance’s new Filmmaker Mode™, 2020 LG OLED TVs bring the cinema into the living room with new levels of realism. With Dolby Vision® ultra-vivid high dynamic range imaging, Dolby Atmos® immersive sound, and for the first time ever, Dolby Vision IQ, 2020 LG OLED TVs deliver a truly spectacular video-audio experience. Dolby Vision IQ introduces new intelligent features for TVs to deliver optimal picture quality as the creatives intended, no matter the ambient light environment or content genre.

The new Filmmaker Mode, supported by Hollywood’s leading directors, delivers images the way they intended. By disabling certain post-processing effects (such as motion smoothing, noise reduction and sharpening) while perfectly preserving correct aspect ratios, colors and frame rates, LG OLED TVs with the Filmmaker Mode faithfully replicate the original vision of the director. LG OLED TVs also have been recognized by Hollywood Professional Association with its Excellence in Engineering Award as the first and only with integrated hardware-level calibration software, further solidifying LG’s OLED TV as Hollywood’s leading reference consumer display for use in content production.

LG’s award-winning webOS smart TV platform will bring 2020 LG OLED and LG NanoCell TVs a plethora of programming from the constantly-growing number of top global content providers through apps and services such as Disney+, Netflix and CBS All Access. New for 2020, the Apple TV app allows customers to subscribe and watch Apple TV+ and Apple TV channels as well as access their iTunes video library and buy or rent more than 100,000 films and TV shows. Customers with 2018 and 2019 LG TV models will also be able to enjoy the Apple TV app this year.

ULTIMATE GAME EXPERIENCE

With stellar picture quality and newly added gaming features, LG’s 2020 TVs are ideal for serious gamers, delivering the most seamless, immersive big-screen gaming experiences available anywhere. As the first TV manufacturer to offer NVIDIA G-SYNC® Compatibility, LG is expanding this capability in 2020 to 12 OLED TVs to provide a flawless PC gaming experience without screen tearing or other distracting visual artifacts.

With unparalleled variable refresh rate and ultra-fast response time, LG OLED TV is considered the most advanced gaming TV on the market today. With the extremely low input lag of expensive desktop gaming monitors, detail-packed visuals of today’s games are simply jaw-dropping on LG OLED TVs. And the smoothness and responsiveness of controlling the onscreen action has to be experienced to be believed.

In another industry-first, 2020 LG OLED TVs feature the HDR Gaming Interest Group’s HGiG Mode so gamers can enjoy high quality visuals as game creators and developers intended when playing HDR games via consoles on their LG TVs. HGiG is a body made up of companies from the game and display industries that develops standards to improve the HDR gaming experience for consumers.

During intense gaming sessions, LG OLED TVs even help address eye fatigue. The Eye Comfort Display certification, from the trusted international testing lab TÜV Rheinland, verifies that LG OLED TVs offer adjustability for blue light content, are flicker-free, and provide exceptional image quality from any angle. LG OLED screens meet every TÜV testing criterion, including wide color gamut and HDR.

ULTIMATE SPORTS EXPERIENCE

Not only ideal for film buffs and gamers, LG OLED TVs are perfect for sports fans, too, offering exhilarating viewing experiences courtesy of the 120Hz response time – made possible by the new α9 Gen 3 AI Processor – and sports-centric features.

Sports Alert helps users to keep track of their favorite teams and schedules and notifying them as soon as a team scores. Users can select their favorite teams in various sports – soccer, football, baseball, etc. – to receive automatic updates at the start of a match, whenever a team scores and when the game ends.

Sports fans can also benefit from enhanced sound. Viewers can connect the TV to Bluetooth speakers to create a more dynamic soundscape to create a real stadium environment.

“LG’s vision to offer outstanding value to its customers comes to life this year with the company’s new line-up of art-inspired TVs,” said Park Hyoung-sei, president of the LG Home Entertainment Company. “Beyond the unrivaled picture quality that LG’s premium TVs deliver, the new additions also come with the company’s advanced technologies, best in AI-integration and unrivalled, futuristic design made possible by OLED technology.”

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 943 Old 01-06-2020, 10:51 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 325
I wonder if the 88" OLED will be decreasing in price anytime soon. My 77" C9's picture quality makes it the perfect TV for me right now, but I really look forward to the time when 88" OLEDs come down in cost to match the price of the present-day 77" OLEDs

That 48" sounds very exciting as a potential PC gaming monitor, as well. It would be interesting to see how long it would last vs burn-in, with heavy gaming use.

Neumann KH310A | Neumann KH120A | Ascend Sierra Towers & Horizon (RAAL) | Ascend Sierra 2EX | Revel F206 | Rythmik F18 x2 | Rythmik F12 | JL Audio E112 | SMSL M500 | Topping D10 | Sonos Amp | Marantz SR7012
post #3 of 943 Old 01-06-2020, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Honestly, kind of disappointed the GX only appears to be wall mountable at the moment. I was looking into the E, which doesn't appear to exist, or G for this year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 943 Old 01-06-2020, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2230 Post(s)
Liked: 3431
dwdrums and aypues like this.
post #5 of 943 Old 01-06-2020, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 6
So any news about BFI @ 120Hz, or higher rec 2020 support? Or is it all just gimmicks?
post #6 of 943 Old 01-06-2020, 10:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 30
What is LG's typical announcement to general availability for OLED TVs? Are we going to wait many months for the CX line (65" in particular) or will it be earlier in the year?

KEF R5, R2c, 2x Q350, 4x Ci160QR, Denon AVR-X4200W, Monoprice Monolith 11, SVS PB-2000 Pro, Apple TV 4K, Oppo UDP-203, Logitech Harmony Elite, Samsung 65" TV, Synology DS918+.
post #7 of 943 Old 01-06-2020, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked: 655
4 x 48" for a poor man's 96" 8K 'the wall'?
rogo, Bahn Yuki, eric.exe and 2 others like this.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #8 of 943 Old 01-06-2020, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ko99 View Post
So any news about BFI @ 120Hz, or higher rec 2020 support? Or is it all just gimmicks?
Only thing it looks like we're getting different is a few new "modes" and the new processor. I have seen nothing about motion handling whatsoever. The Director and gaming mode from my understanding are just automating certain processes that are manually controllable in the C9 series.

Honestly I am not really seeing a lot here, time will tell if the A9g3 processor holds much value.
boe and Cuthalu like this.
post #9 of 943 Old 01-06-2020, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2128 Post(s)
Liked: 803
Not much on paper better than 2019s

We have HGIG, etc. already.
post #10 of 943 Old 01-06-2020, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 362
According to CNET all Series with the exception of the RX will be available in 77". Is LG getting serious about selling the 77" size?
post #11 of 943 Old 01-06-2020, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ko99 View Post
I don't think we typically hear about that stuff until some of the tech reporters start making their rounds. Right now, it's just going to be these flowery press releases.
videobruce and stl8k like this.
post #12 of 943 Old 01-06-2020, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
Not much on paper better than 2019s

We have HGIG, etc. already.
GG, I've fallen behind in following the C9 thread, did LG ever get BFI @ 120 in via FW update?
post #13 of 943 Old 01-06-2020, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2270 Post(s)
Liked: 2460
Seems like nothing but gimmicks mostly.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL S/510 | PS Audio DirectStream | Furman IT-Reference 15i | roon
Panasonic DP-UB9000 | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | iFi AC iPurifier
post #14 of 943 Old 01-06-2020, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 41
No mention of improvement in panel quality like brightness, banding or color volume. A bit disappointing. The only exciting thing here is the 48 inch. Great size for monitor use.
videobruce, boe, Ted99 and 1 others like this.
post #15 of 943 Old 01-06-2020, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 25
No improvements in burn-in resistance?
hughh and blSwagger like this.
post #16 of 943 Old 01-06-2020, 11:32 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I’ll be picking up the 48inch for my new computer monitor. I can move my desk back about 5 inches from the wall to be right at 3 foot from the screen. Seams like they are really trying to sell gamers on there new tv line. Which I mean gamers spend money more so then most, even us. Well unless your a gamer and a home theater person like me. 120hz 4K with the new gen video cards with VRR (gsync,free sync) should be really nice. I’m sure free sync is there since all the next gen systems will be running AMD hardware. For the time being [email protected] will have to hold me over. Shouldn’t notice to much from [email protected] I game at now. Just hate my TN panel so much , it doesn’t have black levels just different shades of gray lol.
Bahn Yuki, Pastuch and tnaik4 like this.
post #17 of 943 Old 01-06-2020, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 5241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc Vu View Post
No mention of improvement in panel quality like brightness, banding or color volume. A bit disappointing. The only exciting thing here is the 48 inch. Great size for monitor use.
We’ll need to wait for the reviews/testing.

LG never makes a lot of noise about peak brightness or ABL limits, so that’s not unusual.

Ditto for burn-in protection.

They made a lot of noise about 3.5ms MPRT (120Hz BFI) a year ago (which ultimately didn’t make it into production 2019 WOLEDs) so it would be silly to make a lot of noise about the same thing this year (Ground Hog Day).

And is a 1% improvement in DCI gamut coverage worth beating your chest over?

The new Alpha-9 Gen-3 processor seems to have made it into the 2020 WOLEDs (above B-Series), so that’s positive.

The CX is likely an incremental improvement over the C9, but we’ll need to await test results to determine the magnitude of those increments)...
post #18 of 943 Old 01-06-2020, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2128 Post(s)
Liked: 803
Glad I grabbed my E9 before they exited. I don’t use the on board audio but the design is beautiful.
helvetica bold and jrref like this.
post #19 of 943 Old 01-06-2020, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by echopraxia View Post
I wonder if the 88" OLED will be decreasing in price anytime soon. My 77" C9's picture quality makes it the perfect TV for me right now, but I really look forward to the time when 88" OLEDs come down in cost to match the price of the present-day 77" OLEDs
I adore the picture on my 77'' C8 but that extra real estate would be awesome. Seems like it will be a few years until the 88 is under 10k though.
post #20 of 943 Old 01-06-2020, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy316 View Post
Glad I grabbed my E9 before they exited. I don’t use the on board audio but the design is beautiful.
I'm very disappointed with the design change from the E9 to GX. And I assume the GX will be even more expensive. I'm leaning towards waiting until 2021 now.
post #21 of 943 Old 01-06-2020, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 231
So glad I went with E9.

Sony 65 A9F, LG 65 E9
post #22 of 943 Old 01-06-2020, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1899 Post(s)
Liked: 2198
As is often the case my personal strategy of buying when "it seems like a good time to buy" got me a 9 series. And this year's improvements make me believe that was a perfect time to buy!

I'm sure we will learn that certain picture-quality metrics have been improved marginally -- it has happened every year so far -- but as is often the case with mature technology that just means marginally.

I'm more intrigued about production capabilities and pricing. Is LG getting ready to take over the world or not?
thebishman likes this.

There's a saying about "everything in moderation". If only it was applied to well, you know...
post #23 of 943 Old 01-06-2020, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1503 Post(s)
Liked: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by yngdiego View Post
What is LG's typical announcement to general availability for OLED TVs? Are we going to wait many months for the CX line (65" in particular) or will it be earlier in the year?
Unless something changes from previous years it seems like late March to early April has been typical for LG in the last number of years. Of course not all models displayed show up at the same time. As far as I recall the C model tends to be first.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
post #24 of 943 Old 01-06-2020, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 5586 Post(s)
Liked: 3993
Doesn't sound like any significant improvements with the X lineup over the 9 lineup of this year. When their biggest announcement is "Filmmaker" mode, you know there's not much change. Filmmaker mode is nothing more than isf Dark mode or Technicolor mode with all the processing turned off. And if you really want to watch it the way the director intended, you will still need to calibrate the tv.
post #25 of 943 Old 01-06-2020, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 20
It's strange they only mention gsync in press releases or reports for the new lgs, these still support freesync with AMD too right?
post #26 of 943 Old 01-06-2020, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_hawks_23
Quote:
Originally Posted by echopraxia View Post
I wonder if the 88" OLED will be decreasing in price anytime soon. My 77" C9's picture quality makes it the perfect TV for me right now, but I really look forward to the time when 88" OLEDs come down in cost to match the price of the present-day 77" OLEDs [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
I adore the picture on my 77'' C8 but that extra real estate would be awesome. Seems like it will be a few years until the 88 is under 10k though.
The penetration/popularity of 8K is a wildcard, but LG can easily deliver 33% year-on-year reductions in MSRP from the $30,000 pricepoint they’ve started with.

This could translate to $20,000 MSRP for the 88CX, $13,500 MSRP for the 88CY (2021 model) and $9,999 MSRP for the 88CZ...

For comparison, the Samsung 85Q900 is $15,000 today and is likely to be priced under $10,000 by 2021 (if not this year).
post #27 of 943 Old 01-06-2020, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2270 Post(s)
Liked: 2460
Seems like LG is a step behind Samsung with the bezel-less stuff. An E series without a bezel could have been pretty sweet.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL S/510 | PS Audio DirectStream | Furman IT-Reference 15i | roon
Panasonic DP-UB9000 | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | iFi AC iPurifier
post #28 of 943 Old 01-06-2020, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post
As is often the case my personal strategy of buying when "it seems like a good time to buy" got me a 9 series. And this year's improvements make me believe that was a perfect time to buy!

I'm sure we will learn that certain picture-quality metrics have been improved marginally -- it has happened every year so far -- but as is often the case with mature technology that just means marginally.

I'm more intrigued about production capabilities and pricing. Is LG getting ready to take over the world or not?
Hiccups at Guangzhou have delayed ramp-up by ~6 months.

Equipment orders for P10 are also being delayed, so no 10.5G output until late 2023/2024 at the earliest.

The fact LGD has not yet introduced any 75” WOLED panels (including the new 77” 8K panel) underscores the fact that the transition to 10.5G manufacturing is in the distant horizon / on hold.

Samsung is claiming huge investments into QD-BOLED which have also repeatedly been delayed and BOE is demonstrating a 55” 8K printed OLED TV: https://www.oled-info.com/boe-demons...d-tv-prototype

So my sense is LGD plans to continue slowly taking over the Premium TV world with 8.5G WOLED while they wait to see another card on the table for Samsung QD-BOLED and BOE printed OLED before deciding to go all-in on their 10.5G WOLED investments (and I can’t say I blame them).

MMG and introduction of 48” WOLED panels gets them a ~25% reduction in 8.5G 65” and 77” panel costs and I won’t be surprised to see them announce conversion of another 8.5G LCD fab to WOLED...

LGD is currently optimally-positioned to take over the 55” and 48” TV world and within 2X of being optimally positioned to take over the 65” TV world.

Oh, and the fact that virtually every TV brand with the sole exceptions of Samsung and TCL will be selling WOLED TVs this year is further testimony to the continued progress LGD WOLED has made...
rogo likes this.
post #29 of 943 Old 01-06-2020, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 38
the 48" CX news is awesome. Just hoping it will be available in Canada

Smaller screens tend to skip the NA market given the skew here towards larger displays, but ironically most people buying a 48" CX probably want it as an absolutely massive monitor
Ted99, Pastuch and cockatiel like this.
post #30 of 943 Old 01-06-2020, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammael View Post
It's strange they only mention gsync in press releases or reports for the new lgs, these still support freesync with AMD too right?
the 9 series never supported freesync. Well over a year ago AMD claimed they would release a driver update to support HDMI VRR which has yet to happen. There is no way to use vrr with an AMD card on the 9 series at the moment

Apparently it has been confirmed that the X series will support freesync on the show floor as well as gsync compatible and HDMI VRR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page