CX versus C9 and CX versus GX - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 29Likes

post #1 of 76 Old 01-06-2020, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 5241
[UPDATED 1/9/20]

This thread is intended to collect spec differences between the CX and the C9 (for those debating jumping on a discounted C9 versus holding out for a CX) as well as spec differences between the CX and the GX (for those debating holding off another year in the hope that some/most of those features make their way into the 2021 C-Series).

I’ll keep this lead post updated with a living list as details emerge and get posted.

From preliminary reports, all I’ve seen so far is:

CX versus C9:

-CX has support for FreeSync versus C9 which does not).

-CX supports 4k120 over HDMI 2.0 (via 4:2:0), while C9 will not be getting this feature.

-CX has 120Hz BFI versus C9 which does not (this is a major upgrade and will improve near-black uniformity by 50%)

-CX supports Conema Motion Pro which is probably double-shutter and/or triple-shutter emulation of 24fps content.

-CX includes Aloha-9 Gen 3 processor while C9 includes Alpha-9 Gen 2 (~half as fast/powerful)

-CX has Ambient AI (or whatever ir’s called which will modify gamma/EOTF based on ambient light conditions while C9 does not.

CX versus GX:

-CX does not have ATSC 3.0 versus GX which does

-CX comes with a stand while it is not yet clear whether the GX will include an optional stand or not.

Please keep additional details coming as they emerge...
onesolo, JasonHa and Tgrds like this.

Last edited by fafrd; 01-10-2020 at 04:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 76 Old 01-06-2020, 02:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 183
The C9 has GSync via firmware update some months ago. What they supposedly added is Freesync for AMD cards.
post #3 of 76 Old 01-06-2020, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jin-X View Post
The C9 has GSync via firmware update some months ago.
Is that confirmed? Is the capability equivalent?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 76 Old 01-06-2020, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 110
The obvious one is that CX will get a 48 inch model lol
post #5 of 76 Old 01-06-2020, 02:57 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Any pictures of the CX and BX stands?
post #6 of 76 Old 01-06-2020, 03:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
This thread is intended to collect spec differences between the CX and the C9 (for those debating jumping on a discounted C9 versus holding out for a CX) as well as spec differences between the CX and the GX (for those debating holding off another year in the hope that some/most of those features make their way into the 2021 C-Series).

I’ll keep this lead post updated with a living list as details emerge and get posted.

From preliminary reports, all I’ve seen so far is:

CX versus C9:

-CX has support for GSync versus C9 which does not (though apparently it goes through FW update)

CX versus GX:

-CX does not have ATSC 3.0 versus GX which does

Please keep additional details coming as they emerge...
The C9 has had GSync for at least a month.
post #7 of 76 Old 01-06-2020, 03:03 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Ah, I think you are referring to the separate G-Sync module/chip? I doubt the CX has that as it would add to the cost, it's probably VRR through Nvidia cards like the C9.
post #8 of 76 Old 01-06-2020, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Yup, even the B9 has Gsync support. (which is why I bought one)
post #9 of 76 Old 01-06-2020, 03:18 PM

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 38
the CX allegedly has freesync support, haven't seen it listed officially anywhere yet though. Maybe they will be releasing that for C9 later as well through a firmware update, or maybe it can all be done on AMD's end
post #10 of 76 Old 01-06-2020, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
From what I've read, the GX series won't come with stands.
post #11 of 76 Old 01-06-2020, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanvir2 View Post
Techradar says, "there’s absolutely no way to put this on a stand," but it is being displayed on feet at CES, as pictured in their article. So I'm a little confused about this. I guess those feet are just something that was rigged so they could showcase the rear of the TV at CES? I had assumed it would at least have the option of those atrocious feet for people who aren't wall mounting. I'm not wall mounting, and I insist on ATSC 3.0, so this has been a disappointing day.
Hawkmoon and crussellsprout like this.
post #12 of 76 Old 01-06-2020, 03:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Based on the FlatPanelsHD roundup, the GX will have "hands-free voice" that the CX will lack (basically the a microphone to use the LG voice assistant without the remote).
post #13 of 76 Old 01-06-2020, 03:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2270 Post(s)
Liked: 2460
I was interested in the GX until I found out you still need to run ugly HDMI cables and the power cord to it while mounted on the wall. Would have been better if it had a separate control box with an inconspicuous ribbon cable.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL S/510 | PS Audio DirectStream | Furman IT-Reference 15i | roon
Panasonic DP-UB9000 | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | iFi AC iPurifier
post #14 of 76 Old 01-07-2020, 08:10 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Why can't the GX have a stand? There were plasmas about as thin as the GX that had no problem being mounted on a stand.

Sony 55A9F
LG 55B6
post #15 of 76 Old 01-07-2020, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalMan View Post
Techradar says, "there’s absolutely no way to put this on a stand," but it is being displayed on feet at CES, as pictured in their article. So I'm a little confused about this. I guess those feet are just something that was rigged so they could showcase the rear of the TV at CES? I had assumed it would at least have the option of those atrocious feet for people who aren't wall mounting. I'm not wall mounting, and I insist on ATSC 3.0, so this has been a disappointing day.
What is it about ATSC 3.0 that makes this a disappointing day.
I am unfamiliar with 3.0 and what it makes it so special
post #16 of 76 Old 01-07-2020, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmich View Post
Quote:
Techradar says, "there’️s absolutely no way to put this on a stand," but it is being displayed on feet at CES, as pictured in their article. So I'm a little confused about this. I guess those feet are just something that was rigged so they could showcase the rear of the TV at CES? I had assumed it would at least have the option of those atrocious feet for people who aren't wall mounting. I'm not wall mounting, and I insist on ATSC 3.0, so this has been a disappointing day.
CNET’s take on the subject: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cne...ing-this-year/

And more details from Wikipedia: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATSC_3.0

ATSC 3.0 digital broadcast standard supports 4K @ 120Hz and HDR...

Trials have already been started internationally (South Korea) and are slated to begin in select US media markets including the San Francisco Bay Area by the end of this year: https://www.atsc.org/newsletter/comi...hing-atsc-3-0/

“A broad coalition of broadcast television station groups – network owned-and-operated stations and affiliates, as well as public broadcasters – have announced plans to deploy Next-Gen TV in the 40 largest U.S. TV markets by the end of 2020.

“Top 40 Markets where the first transitioning stations have been identified (ranked by population) include:

Dallas-Ft. Worth, Texas
Houston, Texas
San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose, Calif.
Phoenix, Ariz.
Seattle-Tacoma, Wash.
Detroit, Mich.
Orlando-Daytona Beach-Melbourne, Fla.
Portland, Ore.
Pittsburgh, Penn.
Raleigh-Durham, N.C.
Baltimore, Maryland
Nashville, Tenn.
Salt Lake City, Utah
San Antonio, Texas
Kansas City, Mo,
Columbus, Ohio
West Palm Beach-Ft. Pierce, Fla.
Las Vegas, Nev.
Austin, Texas”

If you only get your content through streaming or cable, you win’t care about ATSC 3.0. But if you watch any content you care about over the air, buying a new TV without ATSC 3.0 is likely to be obsolete before you get it out of the box...

It sounds as though this summer’s olympics may be a tad too early for broadcast in ATSC 3.0, but it’s a near-certainty that the next Olympics in 2024 will be (and probably also the 2022 Winter Olympics).

Last edited by fafrd; 01-07-2020 at 10:41 AM.
post #17 of 76 Old 01-07-2020, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1189 Post(s)
Liked: 588
Quote:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cne...ing-this-year/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATSC_3.0

Trials have already been started internationally (South Korea) and are slated to begin in select US media markets including the San Francisco Bay Area by the end of this year: https://www.atsc.org/newsletter/comi...hing-atsc-3-0/

“A broad coalition of broadcast television station groups – network owned-and-operated stations and affiliates, as well as public broadcasters – have announced plans to deploy Next-Gen TV in the 40 largest U.S. TV markets by the end of 2020.

“Top 40 Markets where the first transitioning stations have been identified (ranked by population) include:

Dallas-Ft. Worth, Texas
Houston, Texas
Phoenix, Ariz.
Seattle-Tacoma, Wash.
Detroit, Mich.
Portland, Ore.
Pittsburgh, Penn.
Raleigh-Durham, N.C.
Baltimore, Maryland
Nashville, Tenn.
Salt Lake City, Utah
San Antonio, Texas
Kansas City, Mo,
Columbus, Ohio
Las Vegas, Nev.
Austin, Texas”

What Baltimore Maryland is on there but not Metro DC (Northern Virgina, DC, and the part of Maryland that has deep pockets)
post #18 of 76 Old 01-07-2020, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jin-X View Post
Ah, I think you are referring to the separate G-Sync module/chip? I doubt the CX has that as it would add to the cost, it's probably VRR through Nvidia cards like the C9.
According to NVIDIA (https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce...onitors/specs/) it's only G-Sync Compatible which doesn't really mean anything other than VRR/FreeSync verified/certified to work by NVIDIA.

The VRRR is only 40-120 Hz. With a actual G-Sync Module it would have been 1-120 Hz.
post #19 of 76 Old 01-07-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
I was interested in the GX until I found out you still need to run ugly HDMI cables and the power cord to it while mounted on the wall. Would have been better if it had a separate control box with an inconspicuous ribbon cable.

How are you actually supposed to feed the cables to the GX? Seems like you will have to do some kind of in-wall running of the cables and most likely the mount itself? Can't really see how you would be able to mount it that flush otherwise. I'm not familiar with the mounting of the Wallpaper series, but those are so thin (and light?) that you can get away with using slim magnets?

The reason why they don't use a separate control box with an inconspicuous cable is most likely do to bandwidth limitations. The WX seems to lack features such as BFI at 120Hz, VRR/HGIG/G-Sync etc.. I suppose this has something to do with limitations of the interconnect between the TV and the control box.

There are also a lot of people that don't really like the huge control box which doubles as a soundbar on the wallpaper series as they prefer to have their own soundbar and audio equipment. I think the GX is supposed to meet the demand from such a market.
post #20 of 76 Old 01-07-2020, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2270 Post(s)
Liked: 2460
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamGuy View Post
How are you actually supposed to feed the cables to the GX? Seems like you will have to do some kind of in-wall running of the cables and most likely the mount itself? Can't really see how you would be able to mount it that flush otherwise. I'm not familiar with the mounting of the Wallpaper series, but those are so thin (and light?) that you can get away with using slim magnets?

The reason why they don't use a separate control box with an inconspicuous cable is most likely do to bandwidth limitations. The WX seems to lack features such as BFI at 120Hz, VRR/HGIG/G-Sync etc.. I suppose this has something to do with limitations of the interconnect between the TV and the control box.

There are also a lot of people that don't really like the huge control box which doubles as a soundbar on the wallpaper series as they prefer to have their own soundbar and audio equipment. I think the GX is supposed to meet the demand from such a market.
If you go on the LG website you can see pictures of the back of the GX. Basically the cables go through the bottom of the TV and then snake through to the HDMI input board. So you will still somehow need to hide the cables at the bottom of the TV.

I'd like to see a small control box for just handling the power and HDMI stuff. Not all the speakers and BS like the WX. Samsung seems to have figured it out I believe on last year's TVs regarding the small control box.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL S/510 | PS Audio DirectStream | Furman IT-Reference 15i | roon
Panasonic DP-UB9000 | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | iFi AC iPurifier
post #21 of 76 Old 01-07-2020, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by billmich View Post
Quote:
Techradar says, "there’️s absolutely no way to put this on a stand," but it is being displayed on feet at CES, as pictured in their article. So I'm a little confused about this. I guess those feet are just something that was rigged so they could showcase the rear of the TV at CES? I had assumed it would at least have the option of those atrocious feet for people who aren't wall mounting. I'm not wall mounting, and I insist on ATSC 3.0, so this has been a disappointing day.
CNET’s take on the subject: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cne...ing-this-year/

And more details from Wikipedia: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATSC_3.0

Dallas-Ft. Worth, Texas
Houston, Texas
Phoenix, Ariz.
Seattle-Tacoma, Wash.
Detroit, Mich.
Portland, Ore.
Pittsburgh, Penn.
Raleigh-Durham, N.C.
Baltimore, Maryland
Nashville, Tenn.
Salt Lake City, Utah
San Antonio, Texas
Kansas City, Mo,
Columbus, Ohio
Las Vegas, Nev.
Austin, Texas”

If you only get your content through streaming or cable, you win’t care about ATSC 3.0. But if you watch any content you care about over the air, buying a new TV without ATSC 3.0 is likely to be obsolete before you get it out of the box...

It sounds as though this summer’s olympics may be a tad too early for broadcast in ATSC 3.0, but it’s a near-certainty that the next Olympics in 2024 will be (and probably also the 2022 Winter Olympics).
That CNET article makes some good points, so I think I’m going to back off my ‘obsolete’ comment:

“HD tuners were inexpensive when they first came out, and are even more so now. The HD tuner I use is currently $26 on Amazon. Even if ATSC 3.0 tuners are more expensive when they first come out, by the time anyone actually requires one, they'll almost certainly be affordable.”

While I wouldn’t be ecstatic over the idea of another box in my media set-up, I’m not going to consider it a showstopper.

So I guess I’m going to track the 77CX through CES 2021 and decide to either jump on one on closeout or hold off for a 2021 WOLED depending on if there is enough new ‘there there’...
billmich likes this.
post #22 of 76 Old 01-07-2020, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
If you go on the LG website you can see pictures of the back of the GX. Basically the cables go through the bottom of the TV and then snake through to the HDMI input board. So you will still somehow need to hide the cables at the bottom of the TV.

I'd like to see a small control box for just handling the power and HDMI stuff. Not all the speakers and BS like the WX. Samsung seems to have figured it out I believe on last year's TVs regarding the small control box.
Hmm.. That sure looks like a lot of hassle. High-Speed HDMI cables tend to be rather thick and hard to deal with. Having to feed four of those through there + network cable + power wouldn't be a fun time.
post #23 of 76 Old 01-07-2020, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There are so many general CES threads, I may have missed it.... has 120hz BFI been confirmed or not for LG? This would be the single biggest differentiator over the C9/E9.

Quote:
Quote:
The specs list a stand and there were pictures of it from the Korea certification photos as well. It looks similar to the ZX and Sony LCD stands.
https://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-oled77gxpua-oled-4k-tv

DIMENSIONS/WEIGHTS/UPC
TV Dimensions with Stand (WxHxD) 67.8" x 41.3" x 12.7"
TV Dimensions without Stand (WxHxD) 67.8" x 39" x 0.9"
TV Weight with Stand (with Wall Mount) 118.8 lbs
TV Weight without Stand 86.9 lbs

Some journalists also said it wouldn't have speakers when the specs show a similar (but downfiring) 4.2ch 60W setup as the E9.

Last edited by vinuneuro; 01-07-2020 at 11:38 AM.
post #24 of 76 Old 01-07-2020, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinuneuro View Post
There are so many general CES threads, I may have missed it.... has 120hz BFI been confirmed or not for LG? This would be the single biggest differentiator over the C9/E9.

Quote:
Quote:
The specs list a stand and there were pictures of it from the Korea certification photos as well. It looks similar to the ZX and Sony LCD stands.
https://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-oled77gxpua-oled-4k-tv

DIMENSIONS/WEIGHTS/UPC
TV Dimensions with Stand (WxHxD) 67.8" x 41.3" x 12.7"
TV Dimensions without Stand (WxHxD) 67.8" x 39" x 0.9"
TV Weight with Stand (with Wall Mount) 118.8 lbs
TV Weight without Stand 86.9 lbs

Some journalists also said it wouldn't have speakers when the specs show a similar (but downfiring) 4.2ch 60W setup as the E9.
I’m still waiting to see confirmation as well. We’ve seen plenty of snippets providing reason to be hopeful, and many who appear to have seen enough to conclude it’s a done deal, but until we see confirmation of 3.5ms MPRT (or at least <4.2ms), there remains a question mark...
post #25 of 76 Old 01-07-2020, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I would be very interested in the GX if I could get away with no soundbar, but I don't see that being realistic.

The GX is displayed with a flat soundbar in some videos. I can't find anything about it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GX soundbar1.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	258.0 KB
ID:	2665898   Click image for larger version

Name:	GX soundbar2.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	266.6 KB
ID:	2665900   Click image for larger version

Name:	GX soundbar3.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	206.5 KB
ID:	2665902  
post #26 of 76 Old 01-07-2020, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2517 Post(s)
Liked: 1006
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinuneuro View Post

Yeah that would be the biggest question about 2019 vs. 2020.
post #27 of 76 Old 01-07-2020, 10:39 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I'm getting pretty excited about the 2020 LG OLEDS. This could be the year to pull the trigger on a 77". With HDMI 2.1, better motion, better uniformity (theoretically, lets see), brightness, and pricing that should be pretty nice seems like the right time to jump on one. Been waiting a few years as I still have a damn nice TV in my Panasonic ZT plasma.
billmich and New24K like this.
post #28 of 76 Old 01-08-2020, 07:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeKnobber View Post
I'm getting pretty excited about the 2020 LG OLEDS. This could be the year to pull the trigger on a 77". With HDMI 2.1, better motion, better uniformity (theoretically, lets see), brightness, and pricing that should be pretty nice seems like the right time to jump on one. Been waiting a few years as I still have a damn nice TV in my Panasonic ZT plasma.
I am in the exact same boat as you...only a VT50 owner here
New24K and jst333 like this.
post #29 of 76 Old 01-08-2020, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2517 Post(s)
Liked: 1006
Quote:
Huh, has better motion, brightness and price been confirmed already?
D Bone likes this.
post #30 of 76 Old 01-08-2020, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Quote:
Huh, has better motion, brightness and price been confirmed already?
Odds are in favor of LG delivering 120Hz BFI this year, but it is not yet confirmed.

The new ‘Cinema Motion Pro’ (or whatever it’s called) sure sounds like double-shutter and/or triple-shutter projector simulation for 24fps content (which would constitute ‘motion improvements’ in it’s own right).

No reason to expect significant increases in brightness, though there is usually some incremental increase in either ABL limits and/or peak brightness levels of HDR highlights and in any case, BFI should get the autocompensation it should have had from the get-go.

Assuming LG is delivering 120Hz BFI (with brightness auto compensation), that will also improve near-black uniformity (2% shifts to 4% uniformity, 3% shifts to 6% uniformity, etc...).

And on pricing, LGD just announced their plan to deliver 6 million WOLED panels in 2020, double 2019 production, At that increased production level, I’m back to predicting 77CX launch MSRP of $5000 (30% below 77C9 launch MSRP) and bargain-hunters will probably be able to pick up a 77CX for close to $3000 come Black Friday shopping season (at least through online discounters).
ars92 and New24K like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page