post #1 of 38 Old 01-27-2020, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Why I Hate My LG OLED TV

Is this guy right?

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/bu...oled-tv-116856

i have been itching to get an OLED television and LG has always been at the top of my list even though I believe I read that the 2020 models previewed at CES may have been underwhelming.

"The problem is simple: The TV’s operating system is a joke. To get specific, the LG OLED’s OS feels like Windows Vista—a total trainwreck...My LG, on the other hand, just feels super clunky, hard to find apps, some apps I love are missing or they don’t work properly. The apps themselves sometimes take minutes to install. The OS just feels old, out of date, slow and a pain to use and operate. Bad OS, bad TV, at least my humble opinion...I am not the only one in my household who hates it. My wife, someone who used to work for Cox Communications as a cable and broadband installer—no technical idiot by any stretch of the imagination—always struggles with turning it on and off, getting the soundbar to sync up, finding apps or making apps work and not crash. When she gets frustrated, that gets me frustrated. She ends up just going to the TCL or Samsung QLED."

He goes on to specify that the tv referenced is a mid 2018 model. Has the OS changed since then? TIA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 01-27-2020, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The B8 is the 2018 budget model with a slower CPU than the other models in that year. That might be a factor.

I have a C8 and to me WebOS seems fine. Everything respons pretty quickly, the main menu GUI is super easy and Netflix starts fast and runs smoothly. However, admittedly, I hardly use the OS since I have a cable box and an HTPC. In general I do believe most LG owners are very happy with WebOS.

NAD C390DD. KEF Reference 1. SVS SB13 Ultra. Logitech Squeezebox Touch. Cambridge CXUHD. LG OLED 55C8.
post #3 of 38 Old 01-27-2020, 08:25 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 140
I love my LG C8. The WebOS and Magic Remote are great user experience. Everything is quick and snappy. Not sure what this guy is on about!

HT: LG C8 65" | Denon X4440H | Left/Right: Polk LSiM 705 (2) | Center: Polk LSiM 706c | Rears: Polk FXi A4 (2) | Sub: Rhytmik E15HP | Amp: Outlaw 2200 (3)

Last edited by thepiecesfit; 01-27-2020 at 05:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 Old 01-27-2020, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3907 Post(s)
Liked: 3918
The os has not changed over the last few years , I think it is fairly intuitive and easy to use . The author cites his wife who works for a cable company I find that ironic since all of the cable box interfaces I have every tried have been horrible and clunky . The primary function of a tv is picture quality and that is most important imo. This question could easily be asked in the C8 owners thread .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SaskCanesFan, sdg4vfx and hughh like this.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2
post #5 of 38 Old 01-27-2020, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 365
I took this with a grain of salt from a casual user, I don't think I've used the apps on my E6 more than once or twice since I have better streaming options and I don't use the LG remote or the OS on the set more than once or twice a year so my life is fine no matter how bad it might be.
sdg4vfx and chunon like this.
post #6 of 38 Old 01-27-2020, 08:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 1503 Post(s)
Liked: 6257
Roku stick... problem solved.
post #7 of 38 Old 01-27-2020, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Having gone through both a Sony 950G and a Samsung Q8FN recently before settling on a C9 as my secondary TV and gaming display (to the C7 in the living room), I've got to say that I greatly prefer LG's UI to those other displays mentioned. Perhaps I'm just used to it, but WebOS just all seems to make way more sense. Every thing is intuitively placed and easily toggled. Heck, even something as basic as a HDR popup notification was something I missed when using the Samsung.
PannyMann and SaskCanesFan like this.
post #8 of 38 Old 01-27-2020, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaedruspress View Post
Is this guy right?

i have been itching to get an OLED television and LG has always been at the top of my list even though I believe I read that the 2020 models previewed at CES may have been underwhelming.

"The problem is simple: The TV’s operating system is a joke. To get specific, the LG OLED’s OS feels like Windows Vista—a total trainwreck...My LG, on the other hand, just feels super clunky, hard to find apps, some apps I love are missing or they don’t work properly. The apps themselves sometimes take minutes to install. The OS just feels old, out of date, slow and a pain to use and operate. Bad OS, bad TV, at least my humble opinion...I am not the only one in my household who hates it. My wife, someone who used to work for Cox Communications as a cable and broadband installer—no technical idiot by any stretch of the imagination—always struggles with turning it on and off, getting the soundbar to sync up, finding apps or making apps work and not crash. When she gets frustrated, that gets me frustrated. She ends up just going to the TCL or Samsung QLED."

He goes on to specify that the tv referenced is a mid 2018 model. Has the OS changed since then? TIA.
The title should be called Why I hate WebOS
I had the b7 and now the c9 and both run equally smooth,to compare the OS to vista goes to show how little knowledge this guy has on how a good UI should be. WebOS back in 2017 was definitely the best most innovative and easy to use out of all the other Tv brands. It is more refined now, but pretty much the same, ain't broke don't fix it.
Android Tv (getting better on good hardware) is shocking and Samsung can be annoying too, A good Os should for example allow you to change a picture preset in a few clicks without going into menus or taking up a large portion of the screen.
As some-one mentioned a little touch like showing the HDR logo goes a long way.
Anyway this is just my opinion, I'm sure other feel different.
SaskCanesFan likes this.
post #9 of 38 Old 01-27-2020, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 184
The LG OS is vastly superior to my Sony OS. And besides, that would be the LAST thing on my criteria list. So you would get a TV with worse PQ vs it's OS? That is silly.
post #10 of 38 Old 01-27-2020, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4411 Post(s)
Liked: 3849
Thread moved/locked in T-minus...
post #11 of 38 Old 01-27-2020, 11:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 89
LG WebOS leaves alot to be desired, but frankly, I've yet to use any smart TV where I enjoyed the OS. Samsung and Sony are just as bad. OS, I think it's the last thing of importance on a display. I'd rather not use the built-in apps, and just use a decent set-top box, or HTPC.
post #12 of 38 Old 01-27-2020, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 114
I own the E6 and WebOS runs reasonably fast that the convenience factor alone means that I tend to run apps it supports rather than switch to some other streaming device. The magic remote is also pretty handy.

The downsides as far as I'm concerned are the limited number of apps available, and that some of those apps seem to regularly forget login info.
SaskCanesFan likes this.
post #13 of 38 Old 01-27-2020, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 224
All built in smart TVs are awful compared to a dedicated streaming box/stick. Use an ATV 4K or a Fire 4K stick for an infinitely better experience and a better remote control.
MOberhardt likes this.

Sony 55A9F
LG 55B6
post #14 of 38 Old 01-27-2020, 02:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I don't use the OS and if it bothered me enough I'd pick up a media stick. However, I absolutely have grown to despise the Magic Remote. The cursor was novel at first but I wish now I could permanently disable it. Also, I preferred the utilitarian Sony OLED settings menu to my C9 menu.

post #15 of 38 Old 01-27-2020, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Clearly this guy is just stirring the pot or has never really used Windows. I switched to Mac from Windows over a decade ago and have never looked back. WebOS is nowhere near as bad as Windows Vista, which I believe my last windows laptop was running. I've had an LG OLED for probably three or four years, now, and it works just fine. I mostly watch DirecTV on it(80%), followed by the built-in Netflix and Amazon apps(occasionally YouTube), so I can view 4K/UHD content and the built-in Netflix app is so much better than the Netflix app on my old Apple TV that is in the bedroom with it.

And I agree with others, if (you feel) the OS is THAT bad, just use some other streaming device hooked up to it. Built-in apps aren't that big of a deal. I consider my displays just that, displays.
SaskCanesFan likes this.
post #16 of 38 Old 01-27-2020, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepiecesfit View Post
Not sure that this guy is on about!
Clicks.
SaskCanesFan likes this.

post #17 of 38 Old 01-27-2020, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked: 500
I use my TV's like i did 20+ years ago and none are hooked up to the net. I would still be time shifting with my S- VHS VCR's if they were still working today.

Sony 65" A1E Pioneer Elite DV-59 AVI
OPPO203,103&83 Sony BD player
Pioneer Elite SC61 AVR Acurus 200x 3
Paradigm 60V5'S 490 CC V5
B&W 685 S2's 2 SVS subs
post #18 of 38 Old 01-27-2020, 05:51 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Webos is probably the best of the platform exclusive TV OSes, since it was a real os acquired and not developed in house. The biggest drawback is it has few mainstream apps outside of Amazon Netflix YouTube Hulu. No ESPN HBO etc, so you basically have to get an external streamer.
SaskCanesFan likes this.
post #19 of 38 Old 01-27-2020, 06:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2284 Post(s)
Liked: 2487
Lame click-bait article. Nothing to see here.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL S/510 | PS Audio DirectStream | Furman IT-Reference 15i | roon
Panasonic DP-UB9000 | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | iFi AC iPurifier
post #20 of 38 Old 01-27-2020, 06:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked: 556
Quote:
Is this guy right?

HA! What an idiot?!? Just buy a $50 streaming device and have a better experience than any TV OS available. Talk about missing the forest for the trees!
SaskCanesFan likes this.

NAD 758 v3 with Dirac 7.6.4 + Rotel 976 + Panamax M5300-PM + B6 OLED 65
Speakers: Paradigm Prestige 75F's + 55C; 8x Paradigm CI Pro P65-R's
Subs1: 2x LRK Build Thread + 2x Rotel 981 (bridged); retired: VRK Build thread
Subs2: 2x Rythmik LVX12; 2x Dayton HF 12's Ultra-NearField + Crown XLS 2002
MiniDSP HD & Non; DIY Room Treatments: Dutch Floral Prints
post #21 of 38 Old 01-27-2020, 06:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2600 Post(s)
Liked: 1860
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
Lame click-bait article. Nothing to see here.
Damn. Beat me to it.
post #22 of 38 Old 01-28-2020, 01:30 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcinnamon View Post
Quote:
Is this guy right?

"The problem is simple: The TV’️s operating system is a joke. To get specific, the LG OLED’️s OS feels like Windows Vista—a total trainwreck...My LG, on the other hand, just feels super clunky, hard to find apps, some apps I love are missing or they don’️t work properly. The apps themselves sometimes take minutes to install. The OS just feels old, out of date, slow and a pain to use and operate. Bad OS, bad TV, at least my humble opinion...I am not the only one in my household who hates it. My wife, someone who used to work for Cox Communications as a cable and broadband installer—no technical idiot by any stretch of the imagination—always struggles with turning it on and off, getting the soundbar to sync up, finding apps or making apps work and not crash. When she gets frustrated, that gets me frustrated. She ends up just going to the TCL or Samsung QLED."

HA! What an idiot?!? Just buy a $50 streaming device and have a better experience than any TV OS available. Talk about missing the forest for the trees!
To be honest. I just sorted out my ATV 4k cause the navigation on Web os is such a joy. Also all the Apps on the c9 working pretty good. Not as clunky as on my previous A1 and some are even smoother than on the ATV.
Apart from that the only joke is that comment. What he describes as weaknesses are in fact the strong points of webos. Clunky, LOL. Whats Android then for example?!
I felt like in a different generation coming from an android TV and fluidly navigating through webOS with the pointer of the magic remote.
post #23 of 38 Old 01-28-2020, 10:35 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I read that clickbait too. Honestly i figured most technophiles (like myself) wouldn't use built in TV apps for their streaming solutions, i mean you have a spendy oled, why arent you using a dedicated device like a roku ultra for example. Personally i feel all TV app ecosystems are after thoughts to the TV itself and dont expect reliable updates on those apps.

Otherwise the OS is pretty nice on the LG oled imo. The settings menus are fine (except they take up a large chunk ofscreen) and i think the home screen to edit inputs is a nice touch.

The apps and their ecosystem, meh... ive barely even tried them, i have my own devices for that anyway.

What im saying here is who the F buys LG OLED for the apps?! Why aren't you using your apple tv or whatever fancy device and ecosystem you prefer.

Last edited by OrLED; 01-28-2020 at 10:39 PM.
post #24 of 38 Old 01-28-2020, 10:44 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
Damn. Beat me to it.
Ha same here but i didnt read the responses and just started replying.. So was i really beat?

If a comment is posted in a forest, does anyone read it?
post #25 of 38 Old 01-29-2020, 08:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 119
No 3D......
post #26 of 38 Old 01-29-2020, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrLED View Post
Honestly i figured most technophiles (like myself) wouldn't use built in TV apps for their streaming solutions, i mean you have a spendy oled, why arent you using a dedicated device like a roku ultra for example.
The roku ultra doesn't support Dolby Vision. The only external device (now) that I have that can do Dolby Vision and Atmos is my Apple TV 4K but it's so much more convenient to fire up Netflix on my LG C9.
SaskCanesFan likes this.
post #27 of 38 Old 01-29-2020, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonW747 View Post
The downsides as far as I'm concerned are the limited number of apps available, and that some of those apps seem to regularly forget login info.
This for me is what is lacking with the webos we have. I find my LG C8 really responsive (including the apps) but most of the apps available in the LG store are not that useful.

But I did not based my purchase decision on these apps, mostly on the quality of the OLED picture
post #28 of 38 Old 01-29-2020, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by avernar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrLED View Post
Honestly i figured most technophiles (like myself) wouldn't use built in TV apps for their streaming solutions, i mean you have a spendy oled, why arent you using a dedicated device like a roku ultra for example.
The roku ultra doesn't support Dolby Vision. The only external device (now) that I have that can do Dolby Vision and Atmos is my Apple TV 4K but it's so much more convenient to fire up Netflix on my LG C9.
This and i dont see anything my ATV4k is doing better then the build in Apps on the c9.
For my previous A1 with slow Android it was nice to have but on webos the apps are as smooth and support all formats.
post #29 of 38 Old 01-29-2020, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danic99 View Post
This and i dont see anything my ATV4k is doing better then the build in Apps on the c9.
The built in Prime app currently has a bug with forced subtitles in the wrong language. If it wasn't for that I'd be running it on the C9 as well.
post #30 of 38 Old 01-29-2020, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1901 Post(s)
Liked: 1334
Quote:
Originally Posted by avernar View Post
The built in Prime app currently has a bug with forced subtitles in the wrong language. If it wasn't for that I'd be running it on the C9 as well.
***Register your Amazon Prime account in the language of your forced subtitles. Maybe you will get English? :>)

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900F & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page