2020 LG OLED CX-GX Owner's Thread + FAQ (Posts 1-6) - No Price Talk - Page 140 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6153Likes

post #4171 of 7402 Old 05-19-2020, 11:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
d65
Thanks John, I think with the 0.308 y 0.328 awp also with HDR and a Lut with lightspace for SDR, Sony would look old against LG, even against a C9

Last edited by Jakob D.; 05-19-2020 at 11:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4172 of 7402 Old 05-19-2020, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1397 Post(s)
Liked: 959
Quote:
Originally Posted by saiyanzzrage View Post
I saw flickering in DV in captain marvel, avengers, and thor...the flickering was in the letterboxes, not the actual movie itself.

Setting brightness to 49 gets rid of the flashing? I thought that was only for raised blacks? Im def not seeing raised blacks though
Yes 49 gets rid of the flickering as well in the letterboxes as well as raised blacks

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
saiyanzzrage likes this.
post #4173 of 7402 Old 05-19-2020, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverking View Post
So I’ve read that black level should always be set to low, always set to auto, never on high. What is actually the correct setting then? I’ve read auto works sometimes but if going through AVR usually not so err on side of caution and set to low, but then I’ve read that causing issues also with colors. Man, gone are the days of simple tv setup and settings. It’s all too overwhelming now. 100’s of different settings and options and now all those doubled because of HDR. I don’t even know where to start haha.
For me I haven't any issue with the auto setting when gaming going directly to the tv itself. I cant speak on connected avr devices

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4174 of 7402 Old 05-19-2020, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Folks, for those who watched the VE CX vs A8H yesterday via the live stream, please be aware we didn't know that the LG looked slightly red on the stream. When I got home and looked at the stream I was shocked. In person, the two sets looked almost identical. We will have to figure out why that happened for next time. But I hope you enjoyed the commentary and the surprise visit by D-Nice. I tried to touch on all the subjects that have been discussed on this thread and it was good to bring in D-Nice to talk about his experience and testing as well.
I don't know if anyone noticed this, (maybe not because I'm VERY sensitive to it), but I noticed that the Sony had considerably more of a 3d depth than the LG. My brain could actually calculate the distance of things in the background, whereas with the LG, I could not. (If this was brought up in the video and I missed it, please no worries).

It's sort of like the difference between closing one eye while viewing your tv or this youtube video and watching with both eyes open.

Having said this, I actually prefer this flatter look for film based material. I've noticed that when a tv exhibits this sort of depth, it will retain this characteristic no matter the viewing application. It's great for sports and real life viewing. But for me, it "competes" with the flatter look of film that I so desperately try to maintain.

As the tech keeps changing, I often feel that it is a "losing" battle.
When confronted with the choice between two tvs, and one looks more "impressive", I have to stop and really weigh the pros and cons.

Again, I'm VERY sensitive to depth. As I have said before, I have noticed changes in my tvs depth when activating a setting that has nothing to do with it. Most people on these thread do not notice this. From personal experience, when I show such things to friends I have over, most will see NO change while a few will find it quite OBVIOUS. Because of this, I have "learned" to "forgo" talking about such things most of the time on here because those who can't perceive depth in this way actually find it all quite ABSURD. But I have concluded that depth perception for humans runs along a continuum between those who have this sensitivity and those who do not.

Anyway, that was the main difference that jumped out to me regarding these two tvs while watching this video. It was interesting how, even with it all being processed and going through youtube, it was still quite obvious - to me.
threshfire, macmane and stl8k like this.

Last edited by Sargon 1; 05-19-2020 at 12:05 PM.
post #4175 of 7402 Old 05-19-2020, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1463 Post(s)
Liked: 1608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Gómez López View Post
I've had good experiences with Best Buy, so I hope you do too. They brought me three C9's with unbearable coil whine coming from the PSU during bright and colorful scenes, and they let me upgrade to the CX more than a month after I first bought the C9. Fortunately this CX has absolutely no coil whine. Crossing my fingers for you too
Were the returns handled under the standard warranty or under extra cost BB's extended warranty?

Denon AVR-X6200W, Outlaw Audio 7125 Amp, Oppo UDP-203, Oppo BDP-103, Amazon FTV Stick 4K, Tivo Roamio Pro, Pioneer Elite Andrew Jones Dolby Atmos Enabled EFS-73 Fronts/EBS-73 Surrounds, Chane A2.4 Center, SVS SB-2000 Sub, Panasonic Plasma TH-58PX600
avsforum Members Atmos & Auro Configuration Spreadsheet
I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me. RIP Phil Hartman
post #4176 of 7402 Old 05-19-2020, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargon 1 View Post
I don't know if anyone noticed this, (maybe not because I'm VERY sensitive to it), but I noticed that the Sony had considerably more of a 3d depth than the LG. My brain could actually calculate the distance of things in the background, whereas with the LG, I could not. (If this was brought up in the video and I missed it, please no worries).

It's sort of like the difference between closing one eye while viewing your tv or this youtube video and watching with both eyes open.

Having said this, I actually prefer this flatter look for film based material. I've noticed that when a tv exhibits this sort of depth, it will retain this characteristic no matter the viewing application. It's great for sports and real life viewing. But for me, it "competes" with the flatter look of film that I so desperately try to maintain.

As the tech keeps changing, I often feel that it is a "losing" battle.

When confronted with the choice between two tvs, and one looks more "impressive", I have to stop and really weigh the pros and cons.

Again, I'm VERY sensitive to depth. As I have said before, I have noticed changes in my tvs depth when activating a setting that has nothing to do with it. Most people on these thread do not notice this. From personal experience, when I show such things to friends I have over, most will see NO change while a few will find it quite OBVIOUS. Because of this, I have "learned" to "forgo" talking about such things most of the time on here because those who can't perceive depth in this way actually find it all quite ABSURD. But I have concluded that depth perception for humans runs along a continuum between those who have this sensitivity and those who do not.

Anyway, that was the main difference that jumped out to me regarding these two tvs while watching this video. It was interesting how, even with it all being processed and going through youtube, it was still quite obvious - to me.
That 3d depth look is exactly the best way I can describe the picture on the cx when I compared it to the c9s I've had. I just couldn't figure out the word for it lol

Sargon 1 likes this.
post #4177 of 7402 Old 05-19-2020, 12:11 PM

Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmane View Post
That 3d depth look is exactly the best way I can describe the picture on the cx when I compared it to the c9s I've had. I just couldn't figure out the word for it lol

ABSOLUTELY!

I don't own the CX, but that was the FIRST thing I also noticed between these two sets as well.
Very life-like and breathtaking.

Over the years I've noticed tv tech going in this direction. The latest offerings by Sony and LG really demonstrate this.
macmane likes this.

Last edited by Sargon 1; 05-19-2020 at 12:19 PM.
post #4178 of 7402 Old 05-19-2020, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2411 Post(s)
Liked: 3361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargon 1 View Post
ABSOLUTELY!

I don't own the CX, but that was the FIRST thing I also noticed between these two sets as well.
Very life-like and breathtaking.

Over the years I've noticed that tv tech is going in this direction. The latest offerings by Sony and LG really demonstrate this.

So we are really going to make comparisons and pass judgement off a video via you-tube downloading to a PC or some other device with God only knows has what settings and/or other processing. Judge for yourself, people still have trouble admitting the Lucky Goldstar makes videophile displays. You know things are crazy when the Vizo fanboys start venturing into the OLED threads

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 77" C9, 65” B7a (SOLD) and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Outlaw monoblocks, PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #4179 of 7402 Old 05-19-2020, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzikologist View Post
I have a 77" CX and while I can't speak to all your concerns, I can tell you that the Xbox One X can deliver Atmos to my Anthem MRX 1120 receiver, which doesn't support eARC, via an HDFury Vertex2, which does accept eARC and sends it on via a regular HDMI audio output. The Xbox is connected directly to HDMI 3 on the CX so that VRR and all other video enhancements can be enabled, and the Vertex2 is connected to HDMI 2.

The Vertex2 isn't cheap ($400), but it will do what you want, and it effectively gives any HDMI-compatible receiver eARC functionality. The firmware is updated regularly and the developers are very responsive. I imagine they'll be releasing an HDMI 2.1 version at some point in the future.

As others have also testified, it is possible to send audio to your receiver from your PC via either your graphics card (using a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter if necessary) or from your CPU's integrated graphics HDMI port. That way you'll get G-Sync on the CX and optimal sound from your receiver (up to and including Atmos).
Do you know if there's a cheaper solution for just passing through HD audio and MC-LPCM to a non-eARC AVR? I don't need the video scaling that this device does, and wasn't clear their other products fit my needs.
post #4180 of 7402 Old 05-19-2020, 01:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
So we are really going to make comparisons and pass judgement off a video via you-tube downloading to a PC or some other device with God only knows has what settings and/or other processing. Judge for yourself, people still have trouble admitting the Lucky Goldstar makes videophile displays. You know things are crazy when the Vizo fanboys start venturing into the OLED threads
Sargon 1 likes this.
post #4181 of 7402 Old 05-19-2020, 01:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked: 1338
So other than using your TV as a computer monitor, for computer games, and console gaming - what advantages does HDMI 2.1 have for the non-computer user/gamer...

Shopping List:
TV: LG CX/GX; Samsung Q90T/Q800T...?
Blu-ray: Panasonic UB820
AVR/Pre-pro: Marantz 8805/7705 or 8012, or Yamaha 5200 or 3080
Speakers: GE Triton One.R, or ML ElectroMotion ESL X
post #4182 of 7402 Old 05-19-2020, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Is this raised black problem some users mention on these sets only limited to dolby vision, or does it also affect hdr10? Most of my hdr viewing is hdr10, does hdr10 look right with brightness set to 50?

peralatan saya
marten, rogue audio (hifi) bowers and wilkins, belles, onkyo, jl audio, sony, auralex, furutech (ht)
post #4183 of 7402 Old 05-19-2020, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
So other than using your TV as a computer monitor, for computer games, and console gaming - what advantages does HDMI 2.1 have for the non-computer user/gamer...
Well the premise is that an HDMI 2.1 TV can pass lossless bitstream audio or 7.1 PCM out over eARC presuming you want to use your TV as a media center instead of an AVR/Prepro (my choice) or perhaps a soundbar.

Maybe someday, TV internal apps will be able to stream lossless bitstream audio or 7.1 PCM as well but that's dependent on internet bandwidth, streaming server capabilities, and data caps.

However, if DTS isn't supported by the big TV manufacturers, then HDMI 2.1 becomes more limited as a media center.

For me not being a gamer, HDMI 2.1 is a future checkbox should it eventually evolve into something that I need.

Denon AVR-X6200W, Outlaw Audio 7125 Amp, Oppo UDP-203, Oppo BDP-103, Amazon FTV Stick 4K, Tivo Roamio Pro, Pioneer Elite Andrew Jones Dolby Atmos Enabled EFS-73 Fronts/EBS-73 Surrounds, Chane A2.4 Center, SVS SB-2000 Sub, Panasonic Plasma TH-58PX600
I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me. RIP Phil Hartman

Last edited by kokishin; 05-19-2020 at 01:46 PM.
post #4184 of 7402 Old 05-19-2020, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokishin View Post
Well the premise is that an HDMI 2.1 TV can pass lossless bitstream audio or 7.1 PCM out over eARC presuming you want to use your TV as a media center instead of an AVR/Prepro (my choice) or perhaps a soundbar.
But you dont need a hdmi 2.1 tv for eARC specifically, eARC is not a very high bandwidth feature (~36.8 mbps), so it is able to be implemented on tv's with a hdmi 2.0 18gbps chipset.

peralatan saya
marten, rogue audio (hifi) bowers and wilkins, belles, onkyo, jl audio, sony, auralex, furutech (ht)
post #4185 of 7402 Old 05-19-2020, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysa_105 View Post
But you dont need a hdmi 2.1 tv for eARC specifically, eARC is not a very high bandwidth feature (~36.8 mbps), so it is able to be implemented on tv's with a hdmi 2.0 18gbps chipset.
AIUI, eARC functionality is only available with HDMI 2.1. Never claimed you needed 48Gbps or even 40Gbps (e.g. LG) to support lossless MCH audio.

EDIT: If an 18Gbps HDMI 2.0 chipset can support eARC, then based on how HDMI.org allows for their loosie-goosie marketing, then I suppose it could be marketed as offering HDMI 2.1 features (i,e, eARC).

FredsElbow likes this.

Last edited by kokishin; 05-19-2020 at 02:13 PM.
post #4186 of 7402 Old 05-19-2020, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 242 Post(s)
Quoted: 5351 Post(s)
Liked: 6560
In speaking with LG today the 2020 LG OLEDs do not have the raised black HDR issue related to replacing the 1DLUT like the 2019 sets. If you are seeing it then check the calibration.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F, LG CX
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, LightSpace Pro, ISF Level III Certified
post #4187 of 7402 Old 05-19-2020, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
AIUI, eARC functionality is only available with HDMI 2.1. Never claimed you needed 48Gbps or even 40Gbps (e.g. LG) to support lossless MCH audio.

EDIT: If an 18Gbps HDMI 2.0 chipset can support eARC, then based on how HDMI.org allows for their loosie-goosie marketing, then I suppose it could be marketed as offering HDMI 2.1 features (i,e, eARC).

eARC is a part of the hdmi 2.1 specification, but due to its relatively low bandwidth, it can be implemented on hdmi 2.0 tv's with 18gbps chipsets, that was the point. several tv's have eARC, my sony a9g has it. im not getting into the marketing aspect of how they 'could' label those tv's.

peralatan saya
post #4188 of 7402 Old 05-19-2020, 02:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman9 View Post
Do you know if there's a cheaper solution for just passing through HD audio and MC-LPCM to a non-eARC AVR? I don't need the video scaling that this device does, and wasn't clear their other products fit my needs.
I've read elsewhere on these forums that the shArc from thenaudio works well:

https://thenaudio.com

mitchmalibu posted about it first in the 2019 LG gaming thread (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post59623834) and there are some follow-up posts confirming that it does the job. $149 on amazon. Not cheap, but less than half the price of the Vertex2.

Last edited by muzikologist; 05-19-2020 at 02:43 PM.
post #4189 of 7402 Old 05-19-2020, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 454
Quote:
In speaking with LG today the 2020 LG OLEDs do not have the raised black HDR issue related to replacing the 1DLUT like the 2019 sets. If you are seeing it then check the calibration.
Is this good or bad news for owners of 2019 LG OLEDs? Does this mean that LG at least knows what the underlying problem is?

TV: LG OLED C9 Firmware v04.71.25 | Probe: X-Rite i1Display Pro OEM Rev. B-02 (04/2019) | EDR: FSI_XM55U_23Jan19.edr | SW: CalMAN Home for LG R3 GM v05.10.2.67 | PG: LG iTPG
post #4190 of 7402 Old 05-19-2020, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Were the returns handled under the standard warranty or under extra cost BB's extended warranty?
I did not pay additional warranty when I got the C9 (I just paid for the TV, no extra plans or anything). I don't know under what they were handling it; I just called and told them I was getting a high pitch noise coming from the back of the TV, and they offered a replacement right away. This is ONE store, though. Probably non-representative of Best Buy as a whole, but hopefully.
kokishin likes this.
post #4191 of 7402 Old 05-19-2020, 03:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Gómez López View Post
I did not pay additional warranty when I got the C9 (I just paid for the TV, no extra plans or anything). I don't know under what they were handling it; I just called and told them I was getting a high pitch noise coming from the back of the TV, and they offered a replacement right away. This is ONE store, though. Probably non-representative of Best Buy as a whole, but hopefully.
Thanks. My experience with my local BB/Magnolia has always been positive.

post #4192 of 7402 Old 05-19-2020, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 242 Post(s)
Quoted: 5351 Post(s)
Liked: 6560
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi4Vision View Post
Is this good or bad news for owners of 2019 LG OLEDs? Does this mean that LG at least knows what the underlying problem is?
They do and they are working it so hopefully we will see a fix.
macmane, HiFi4Vision and LiLAsN like this.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F, LG CX
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, LightSpace Pro, ISF Level III Certified
post #4193 of 7402 Old 05-19-2020, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 222 Post(s)
Quoted: 6252 Post(s)
Liked: 9095
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi4Vision View Post
Is this good or bad news for owners of 2019 and 2018 LG OLEDs? Does this mean that LG at least knows what the underlying problem is?
Fixed for you. Please don't forget us! This problem has been going on for over two years.
Sargon 1, HiFi4Vision and LiLAsN like this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs
post #4194 of 7402 Old 05-19-2020, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzikologist View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman9 View Post
I've read elsewhere on these forums that the shArc from thenaudio works well:

https://thenaudio.com

mitchmalibu posted about it first in the 2019 LG gaming thread (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post59623834) and there are some follow-up posts confirming that it does the job. $149 on amazon. Not cheap, but less than half the price of the Vertex2.
This is amazing. Thanks I'll check it out!
post #4195 of 7402 Old 05-19-2020, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLAsN View Post
Have you tried changing Black level from High to low under Picture Options in the CX settings?
Enabling Dynamic Tone Mapping will help to brighten dark scenes as well.
Don't forget to turn off Peak Brightness in the settings if you are watching SDR.
Also, you can try increasing OLED Light to increase the bright scene brightness.
Disable Dynamic Contrast too.
How do you enable dynamic tone mapping on the CX?

Living room: Panasonic ST-P55ST50; Pioneer elite sc-501; Front L&R B&W CMW 7.3, Center B&W CMW 7.4; sub B&W ASW 610
Basement: LG OLED CX65; NAD 758 v3; Front L&R KEF R500, Center KEF R200c, rear surrounds KEF T100s; Atmos KEF Q50s; sub KEF Kube 10b
post #4196 of 7402 Old 05-19-2020, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
But Vizio is supposed to have their own OLED model soon.
post #4197 of 7402 Old 05-19-2020, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
But what if the set isnt calibrated?

LG 65CX l Apple TV 4K l PS4 Pro l Nintendo Switch | Logitech Harmony Companion
post #4198 of 7402 Old 05-19-2020, 04:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1269 Post(s)
Liked: 1547
Quote:

Yes, eARC is a HDMI 2.1 feature but does not require an HDMI 2.1 FRL port, 48Gbps or otherwise, to operate. It uses another set of wires in the HDMI cable. Because of this it does not take up any of the bandwidth used by the HDMI video signal.

See here for more details: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post58172382
post #4199 of 7402 Old 05-19-2020, 04:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Folks, for those who watched the VE CX vs A8H yesterday via the live stream, please be aware we didn't know that the LG looked slightly red on the stream. When I got home and looked at the stream I was shocked. In person, the two sets looked almost identical. We will have to figure out why that happened for next time. But I hope you enjoyed the commentary and the surprise visit by D-Nice. I tried to touch on all the subjects that have been discussed on this thread and it was good to bring in D-Nice to talk about his experience and testing as well.
Just looked to me like classic tinting that often plagues many of these OLED panels to some degree or another, regardless of branding/implementation. no...?

Last edited by zeromothra; 05-19-2020 at 05:42 PM.
post #4200 of 7402 Old 05-19-2020, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
did they explain in yesterday's Shootout video why the LG's built-in apps offer better image quality versus the standalone apps via ATV etc?...the technical details behind it

I actually prefer using my fire tv cube gen 2, because the apps have less color banding and it seems to give slightly better performance than the on board apps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
detection issue , earc , g-sync , lg cx , lossless audio , lpcm 7.1 , new purchase , pcm , surround sound and speaker , troubleshooting

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page