2020 LG OLED CX-GX Owner's Thread + FAQ (Posts 1-6) - No Price Talk - Page 145 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6214Likes

post #4321 of 7516 Old 05-21-2020, 01:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3387 Post(s)
Liked: 4169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargon 1 View Post
You are a breath of fresh air on here
I seriously doubt that lol As long as your enjoying your C9/CX that's what counts. Hopefully LG addresses some of the issues it has right now especially DV
Sargon 1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4322 of 7516 Old 05-21-2020, 01:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Not technically a Lg CX issue, but wondering why there is a difference in brightness between the LG internal Netflix app and Apple tv 4k netflix app subtitles.

On the CX with subtitles on they are quite bright, on the apple box they are a lot dimmer in comparison.

Using same picture settings so a bit confused.

Anyone else noticed this?
post #4323 of 7516 Old 05-21-2020, 01:54 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverking View Post
Can somebody do me a favor. My tv is mounted to my wall and I can’️t take it off by myself. I’️m trying to plug in a optical cable into the Toslink but it’️s not going. It doesn’️t feel like the normal input with the little spring door. It feels like something is in it. Can someone take a picture of the back of their tv so I can see what the optical input is like or if there is some sort of cover over it? I’️ve tried pulling on it to see if it’️s a cap and it doesn’️t budge. Thanks.
I just connected mine fine last night into my replacement C9, but I also did CX no problems - here's the input pic (of CX). Note I'm using a 90 degree TOSLINK bend into the socket otherwise the cable will hit the wall as I have a thin-ish wall mount. Stupid LG designers.

Edit: the flat bit of the socket shape is at the TOP.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/attac...730114&thumb=1

I use this, works well, swivels (my cable goes up vertically after 90 degree turn):
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MUSPXMF/
So it’s not some weird cover but that’s the actual whole input like I thought? I’ve never seen a digital optical input look like that. So you plug the cable directly into that port with the flat side on top? Sorry I have to do all this by flick and not sight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4324 of 7516 Old 05-21-2020, 03:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzerrelli View Post
Sorry to say but I don’t think those exist unfortunately. I hope you do get one with very minimal banding that is hard to see at all though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All i'm looking for is to not see anything in normal content, which the CX I am returning definitely showed, and it was distracting. I am not looking at grayscale slides on the replacement, ive learned my lesson.
Fonzerrelli likes this.

LG 65CX l Apple TV 4K l PS4 Pro l Nintendo Switch | Logitech Harmony Companion
post #4325 of 7516 Old 05-21-2020, 03:13 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by saiyanzzrage View Post
All i'm looking for is to not see anything in normal content, which the CX I am returning definitely showed, and it was distracting. I am not looking at grayscale slides on the replacement, ive learned my lesson.

Did the bands on your CX only show during scenes near black or were they showing during most content? Have you shared your images of your uniformity before? Apologies if you have, as I have not seen them.

post #4326 of 7516 Old 05-21-2020, 03:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzerrelli View Post
Did the bands on your CX only show during scenes near black or were they showing during most content? Have you shared your images of your uniformity before? Apologies if you have, as I have not seen them.

Yeah i posted them on the uniformity thread and you commented that they were similar to yours. They were very obvious in near black scenes, but i did see it during other scenes that werent as dark. Also saw it in games when moving the camera from side to side, and on menus in games
Fonzerrelli likes this.

post #4327 of 7516 Old 05-21-2020, 03:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduardofuertes21 View Post
I've noticed my AI picture pro turns off randomly. Do any of you have this issue? Thank you
You might be seeing what I was...until I realized each input has its own ai settings...so you need to set it on/off for each input on the tv
Fonzerrelli likes this.

post #4328 of 7516 Old 05-21-2020, 03:47 AM

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
You might be seeing what I was...until I realized each input has its own ai settings...so you need to set it on/off for each input on the tv
This, also HDR and SDR picture modes may need to adjust the AI settings, as I think they have separate AI settings.
saiyanzzrage likes this.
post #4329 of 7516 Old 05-21-2020, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylishGum View Post
I have no issues passing 5.1 PCM via eARC through the TV. Works perfectly. I've done this with my PC, Xbox One X and PS4 Pro. All are connected directly to the TV and the TV connected to the receiver. Haven't tried 7.1.

I have not tried this, bit did do a quick checkup with the PS4. With PS4 connected directly to the TV I just enabled the eARC option on the TV and seems to work fine. This also worked fine when having PCM set on the PS4 too. However, when I selected Auto on the CX it did seem like there was a bit of a delay. Setting it to PassThrough seemed to put the audio and video in sync better. I am going to have to experiment with this later, it could have well be my mind playing games with me be the same but I'm confident it was better when set to Pass Through.

Last edited by TheBigBoss; 05-21-2020 at 07:08 AM.
post #4330 of 7516 Old 05-21-2020, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked: 7715
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardie View Post
You guys may be interested I've just posted up my "story" onto the uniformity thread... In essence got a brand-new 65 CX few weeks back and noticed uniformity issues in dark movie content, also a vertical white line appeared and stuck. Spoke to retailer and just traded back to a C9, pocketed the difference (CX is 40% more in UK right now). C9's not perfect out of box but not noticeable in content unlike the CX. Shame, as I generally in principle buy latest model year for future proofing, but I couldn't live with that panel. Had it been no issues I defo would have kept it, despite all the discussion +/- here. Overall though both the CX and C9 are stunning. Its jus the panel lottery, I'm not 'dissing the CX in general. Enjoy!

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post59681260
How many hours diod you put on it, did it run it comp cycle.
post #4331 of 7516 Old 05-21-2020, 07:14 AM
Advanced Member

Does anyone know if eARC would work with these cables? I see ethernet, does that mean eARC?

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24187

post #4332 of 7516 Old 05-21-2020, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Hi everyone, I have the opportunity to buy the CX from LGs partner website. Basically, my employer gives me a discount on LG products. However, when I go to check out the CX, it asks me to choose a model and shows 4 options. All of them are identical and the model is Model#: OLED65CXPUA.AUS

My question is, what is the AUS? Does that just mean I would get an "Australian" panel while in the US? Anything I should be concerned about?
post #4333 of 7516 Old 05-21-2020, 07:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1269 Post(s)
Liked: 1550
Quote:
Does anyone know if eARC would work with these cables? I see ethernet, does that mean eARC?

Yes, HDMI cables with Ethernet will carry eARC.
saiyanzzrage likes this.
post #4334 of 7516 Old 05-21-2020, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfa973 View Post
This thread is only for LG OLED TV models CX and GX.

The thread dedicated to gaming with 2020 CX and GX models is here.

Do you have problems with your panel uniformity, banding, or vignetting? The dedicated thread is here.

The E series was not refreshed in 2020.

The WX (Wallpaper), ZX (8K-Gallery style) and RX (Rollable) models will be treated in their own threads.

Reviews
- FlatpanelsHD Review: LG CX OLED
- What Hi-Fi LG OLED65GX review
- Sound & Vision LG OLED65GXPUA OLED Ultra HDTV Review

The new features and differences between the 2019 C9 and the 2020 CX:

• built-in G-SYNC Compatibility (inherited from C9) - no firmware update required - will be supported across four 2020 model ranges (BX, CX, GX and ZX);
  • built-in HGiG Mode (inherited from C9) - no firmware update required;
  • new AMD FreeSync compatibility - available via a future firmware upgrade at the end of 2020 (the FreeSync level that is to be supported is still unknown) - also is unknown if FreeSync will be made available to the C9;
  • new Filmmaker Mode - Auto/Manual - disables certain post-processing effects (such as motion smoothing, noise reduction, and sharpening) while perfectly preserving correct aspect ratios, colors and frame rates - the Filmmaker Mode feature will be accessible via a button on the remote control;
  • new Dolby Vision IQ support - "optimal picture quality as the creatives intended, no matter the ambient light environment or content genre" - Dolby Vision IQ isn't a separate picture mode, instead it will be automatically engaged in the standard Dolby Vision setting (Dolby said if you don't want the image to react to room lighting you can disable the LG's ambient light sensor manually) - Dolby Vision IQ is also supported by the 2019 models, but it not named that way in the WebOS menus;
  • new video processor - 'Alpha 9 Gen 3' - reportedly has a CPU 15% faster than Gen 2, and the GPU is 50% faster than Gen 2 - aka O20 (instead of the O18 chip used in the C8 and C9);
  • new 4K/120Hz 8-bit SDR 4:2:0 support via HDMI 2.0;
  • new 48" screen size available besides the now-classic 55, 65 and 77;
  • new G series model - Gallery OLED - as GX - "a whole different level with an ultra-thin form factor – the 65-inch model is a mere 20 millimeters (0.79 inches) thin" - replacing the E series that it will not be refreshed;
  • new 'Eye Comfort Display' certification from TÜV Rheinland as they are flicker-free (in SDR and HDR) and offer adjustability for blue light content.
  • new built-in hardware AV1 decoding (thanks to the new O20 chip) - the AV1 decoder apparently is limited to a maximum of [email protected], 10bit HDR (no 120p support);
  • new Apple TV app support - but the app will be available also for 2019 and 2018 LG TVs;
  • new GX series and up will offer hands-free voice control;
  • new version of WebOS 5.0 - some new features are already listed here;
  • new 'Sports Alert' feature - "to keep track of their favorite teams and schedules and notifying them as soon as a team scores" - it works via the internal tuner, not yet with external set-top boxes (update: LG says that it will work "with external tuners as long at the TV has the cable listings available and TV is set up to control the set-top box")
  • new "Auto Genre Selection" feature - the TV recognizes the type of content being played, be it a movie, sports or an animation, and adjusts the picture processing to suit.
  • The Home Dashboard has been cleaned up to make it easier to understand and arrange all your connected smart devices - the new Home Dashboard gives you quick access to inputs, media servers, and 'sound out' settings, you can also set-up voice routines such as "Good morning" that will activate multiple devices.
  • new 'Who? Where? What?' feature - only on US models - it’s powered by The Take.AI, an image and video recognition technology that uses artificial intelligence to allow the TV to highlight various elements of the content you're watching in real-time - it can tell you the location of a specific film scene or what coat or dress an actor or actress is wearing;
  • new Face Enhancing - feature taken from the ZX/RX models - not much is known about it;
  • Input lag is down to 5 ms with 120Hz input, according to LG;
  • HDMI-VRR range should be 40 to 120Hz for both G-sync and FreeSync;
  • HDMI-QMS should work but it's not certified yet;
  • new "Motion Pro" and "Cinema Clear" features - 120Hz BFI with three settings (High/Medium/Low) - with the biggest benefit that 120Hz BFI improves near-black uniformity by ~50% without any 60Hz flicker (like on C9) - sounds like more or less the same implementation that was reported for the 2019 models but that got pulled in the 11th hour;
  • Panel dimming algorithm has been tweaked;
  • No WebOS 5.0 update planned for previous models (as usual for LG...);
  • ATSC 3.0 tuner is available only on the new GX series and up;
  • Tone mapping enhancements - (compared with a C9 side by side) more intensity in small bright HDR light peaks, and daylight shots that look brighter for longer across the whole screen and better black levels during dark scenes - deep blacks seem to be delivered without crushing out much shadow detail;
  • AI Picture Pro - tweaked to do much less with native 4K sources that don’t really need much "help";
  • AI Sound Pro - tweaked to enhance vocal clarity and placement;
  • the ThinQ app for iOS and Android will be the preferred remote app for the 2020 models and newer - LG will phase out its 'LG TV Plus' mobile app - the ThinQ app is not able to control the 2019 models or older
  • the WebOS 5.0 includes an edit mode that lets you add shortcuts to the left-aligned settings menu and a new Home setting option that lets the user select if the webOS bottom menu should appear automatically after standby
  • new manual 'Optimisation Settings' menu that will recommend optimal settings based on what you are watching at the time.
  • new support for Bluetooth-connected rear speakers as part of an "upgrade" to Bluetooth 5.0 (the C9 also has BT v5.0, so not a real upgrade over the previous model...) - but the current implementation is limited to upmixed surround so you cannot get native surround sound - you must use WiSA or an external system (receiver/soundbar) if you want true surround sound
  • LG has tweaked the dithering to make the occasional brightness flashing when the panel transitioned out of black less visible to the eye - this tweak makes the effect less visible - not perceptible from a distance - and banding is reduced to a minimum;
  • Much better screen uniformity than the 2019 generation, with very low vignetting or none at all - or dark patches/mura

Lost features
  • The DTS-HD internal decoder was removed;
  • Technicolor Mode was replaced with Filmmaker Mode;
  • Technicolor's 'Advanced HDR' format was removed (lack of market traction, probably);
  • The CX can't do 4K 120Hz 4:4:4/RGB 12-bit because the HDMI 2.1 FRL speed is limited at 40Gbps (instead of the 48Gbps that is available on the C9). The CX can still do 4K 120Hz 4:2:2 12-bit, 4K 120Hz 4:2:0 12-bit, 1440p 120Hz 4:4:4/RGB 12-bit, 1080p 120Hz 4:4:4/RGB 12-bit, and all other 12-bit modes that don't go over 40Gbps.

Expected, but unconfirmed features
  • WOLED panel stack improvements - change from the B-YG/R-B stack to the B-G/R-B stack - allows for more saturated colors and increased color gamut/volume (mainly on the Green) - no change from the previous C9 is detected;
  • DCI-P3 improvements - gamut increase from 99% DCI-P3 to 100% DCI-P3 - NO, the CX OLED panel covers ~ 96% of DCI-P3 - no change from the previous C9;
  • [s]Rec.2020 improvements - gamut increase from <85% to >85% Rec.2020 - NO - the CX OLED panel covers ~ 71% of Rec.2020 - no change from the previous C9;
Does the TV upconvert
post #4335 of 7516 Old 05-21-2020, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
How many hours diod you put on it, did it run it comp cycle.
CX had something like 100-150h on it before the above post over 2-3 weeks - combination of 2/3 HDR gaming and rest mix TV SDR and films HDR. Yes. I also ran a Pixel Refresh on the CX to give that a go, made no difference apart from seemed to shift the banding around a bit (which wasn't my greatest concern). The C9 is out of the box, literally last night. Hope that helps.
post #4336 of 7516 Old 05-21-2020, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked: 963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mofongo View Post
I think the answer depends on what size CX you have.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
post #4337 of 7516 Old 05-21-2020, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmane View Post

That explains why you dont really have any major uniformity issues...from what I have read, 65+ is when it starts getting bad

post #4338 of 7516 Old 05-21-2020, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That explains why you dont really have any major uniformity issues...from what I have read, 65+ is when it starts getting bad
Huh? I was asking about does the cx need a specific mount to mount the tv and the guy I was responding to said it depends on the size of the tv that's why I said 55 lol

Cam1977 likes this.
post #4339 of 7516 Old 05-21-2020, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Huh? I was asking about does the cx need a specific mount to mount the tv and the guy I was responding to said it depends on the size of the tv that's why I said 55 lol

lol, sorry, i remember you saying you didnt have visible banding and it popped in my head when you said what size cx your is...my bad, i can see how my comment is totally rando

post #4340 of 7516 Old 05-21-2020, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Does the cx need a specific type of mount stand for it? Or will it be fine with any mount that can hold 55 inch screen?
I believe any Vesa 300x200 mount should work.

I'd be very interested in hearing which mounts people have been happy with for their 55" CX as well. I know my current mount won't work, but need to measure carefully as I have an awkwardly placed wall outlet.
post #4341 of 7516 Old 05-21-2020, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3113 Post(s)
Liked: 1831
post #4342 of 7516 Old 05-21-2020, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by crow216 View Post
Hi everyone, I have the opportunity to buy the CX from LGs partner website. Basically, my employer gives me a discount on LG products. However, when I go to check out the CX, it asks me to choose a model and shows 4 options. All of them are identical and the model is Model#: OLED65CXPUA.AUS

My question is, what is the AUS? Does that just mean I would get an "Australian" panel while in the US? Anything I should be concerned about?

Interesting question. Unfortunately, I don't know. Hopefully someone here does.
post #4343 of 7516 Old 05-21-2020, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
lol, sorry, i remember you saying you didnt have visible banding and it popped in my head when you said what size cx your is...my bad, i can see how my comment is totally rando
Lol its all good and yea I've heard the 55s have lesser uniformity issues than bigger sizes but imo and experiences I think even the 55s can be a u knw what

Cam1977 and saiyanzzrage like this.
post #4344 of 7516 Old 05-21-2020, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabatta View Post
I believe any Vesa 300x200 mount should work.

I'd be very interested in hearing which mounts people have been happy with for their 55" CX as well. I know my current mount won't work, but need to measure carefully as I have an awkwardly placed wall outlet.
What size was your mount? Imma look into the one you mentioned. I don't think many people even mount 55s lol

post #4345 of 7516 Old 05-21-2020, 09:25 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

Yes. "Supports extended CEC (Consumer Electronics Control) commands and functions, the HDMI Ethernet Channel, and the Audio Return Channel features". Your attached hardware determines eARC or ARC.

| LG OLED55C9, Firmware v04.80.03 | Denon AVR-X3400H, Firmware v7600-8281-6432-2065 | ATV 4K | Sony UBP-X700 | Hsu HC-1 MK2 (C) & HB-1 MK2 (LRSur), Sub VTF-15H MK2, ELAC Atmos | X-Rite i1D3 OEM | 2020 CalMAN Home for LG build 163 |

Last edited by mhmercer; 05-21-2020 at 09:29 AM.
post #4346 of 7516 Old 05-21-2020, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverking View Post
So it’s not some weird cover but that’s the actual whole input like I thought? I’ve never seen a digital optical input look like that. So you plug the cable directly into that port with the flat side on top? Sorry I have to do all this by flick and not sight.
Yes that's the port itself. There may be some sort of internal flap to stop the laser spewing out I suspect, I'm not a TOSLINK expert. You may be thinking of the smaller mini-TOSLINK version which is like a small phono jack? You can get converters. The connection docking is a bit flimsy I find (less sturdy than HDMI for example or RJ45), but don't tend to move them regularly so doesn't really matter.
post #4347 of 7516 Old 05-21-2020, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Anyone ever use something like this? https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N1HXP...edirect=1&th=1

Trying to figure out a clean solution to raise the CX up so the soundbar wont block the bottom of the screen.

I have looked for risers, but nothing is aesthetically pleasing. I have read people putting wood under the LG stand, anyone here doing something like that?
FullyTorqued10 likes this.

post #4348 of 7516 Old 05-21-2020, 11:02 AM

Liked: 27
Jason 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason82 View Post
I purchased the new LG CX it is a brilliant TV. The issue I have is when in use the TV produces a smell similar to an electric heater. It’s very strong and worrying. I contacted LG who told me that new TVs can have this due to chemicals used at the warehouse. After a week it still had the problem and was getting worse. The smell appears to be coming from the back where the speakers are. Due to this I contacted the retailer and will be sending back for a replacement. Anyone else had this issue? I always seem to get the faulty TVs.

Hello Jason, we hate to hear that you experienced an issue with your new LG TV and would like to assist. In a private message on Facebook or on Twitter using @LGUS, can you share your name, address, model & serial number and the retailer that you purchased this through? With this information we can expedite a resolution for you. Thanks, LG.
meli, saiyanzzrage and ytzong like this.
post #4349 of 7516 Old 05-21-2020, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Sorry if I have missed it but can anyone confirm if the CX has the same audio sync issue as the C9 when using a HDMI source to pass-through dolby digital via ARC?
Thanks
post #4350 of 7516 Old 05-21-2020, 11:12 AM

Liked: 27
RavenBF

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenBF View Post
Hello all,

I have hopefully a quick question! I just got my 55 CX yesterday and so far it looks amazing. I now have the 55 E6, 65 C8 and now this one. My question....did anyone have a slight odor from their TV? It isn't an acrid electrical smoke type of smell, it is more of a warm plastic smell that I can notice, probably because this TV is in more of an enclosed room. I never noticed this on the other 2 TVs but they both were in my living room when I initially got them. I did a search on the forum and saw a couple of people mention it, and I was just wondering if this is just a smell that will go away after a couple of days usage. It is coming from the right and left hand corners of the top vent on the back of the TV.....and yes I removed the plastic. It looked like there was only one big piece on the back of the display, nothing on the lower portion. Anyway, just paranoid and I really don't want to have to return or get it fixed if it is just something that will go away. Thanks!!

Hello Raven, we hate to hear that you experienced an issue with your new LG TV and would like to assist. In a private message on Facebook or on Twitter using @LGUS, can you share your name, address, model & serial number and the retailer that you purchased this through? With this information we can expedite a resolution for you. Thanks, LG.
meli, Stevetd, tjcinnamon and 4 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
detection issue , earc , g-sync , lg cx , lossless audio , lpcm 7.1 , new purchase , pcm , surround sound and speaker , troubleshooting

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page