2020 LG OLED CX-GX Owner's Thread + FAQ (Posts 1-6) - No Price Talk - Page 150 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5895Likes

post #4471 of 6912 Old 05-22-2020, 06:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyg53 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech fan View Post
if you have the player set to Bitstream you would hear nothing because the TV is unable to decode a dts soundtrack
That would answer my question, the TV speakers are silent if the set receives a DTS audio sound track from a Blu-Ray disc player. I was hoping you could test this on your CX by direct-connecting your UB820 and playing Blu-Ray disc DTS audio through your TV speakers. I haven’️t seen comments where this has been tested yet.

FYI there is a generation of SDR Blu-Ray discs out there, many with DTS audio and no Dolby Digital. On discs that offer both, we find the DTS track to be more full-throated in the mid’️s and bass, DD sounds comparatively thin and lightweight. Our UB820s display a 3-5x higher audio bit rate coming from DTS compared to DD sound tracks from the same disc, which may be why DTS is not offered by streaming video providers.
Sorry, but I would have to crawl behind the a/v furniture to switch hdmi cables. If I end up back there for some other reason and remember I'll try it out. Haha.

Yes, from what I understand that is precisely why streaming services (and broadcast TV) do not use dts. Not to mention what are likely higher royalty fees. Combined with a public that would have to select an alternate soundtrack for each movie streamed (we can all imagine how that would turn out), it is a unnecessary cost for them.

While I agree that dts offers a theoretically superior sound, I highly doubt any internal TV speakers would resolve the difference. That's my point. Even on my system, which I'd call upper middle end, the difference in real terms is nominal at best.

LG 77” CX OLED; Panasonic 820; XBox One X; Apple TV (gen 2)
Marantz AV7704; Emotiva XPA-5
Martin Logan Vantage (fronts); Stage (center); Grotto (sub); DefTech Mythos GemXL (surround)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4472 of 6912 Old 05-22-2020, 06:46 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7622 Post(s)
Liked: 7694
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssavanna View Post
Hi - I just purchased a 65" GX. I'm having it professionally mounted next week. I'm looking at my wall and nervous that the outlet may protrude from the wall a little too much making it not a flush wall mount. Can anyone who has this TV comment on whether you think this would be problematic? Also wondering if the the outlet will create an issue once the power cable is plugged into it. Not sure how the TV could mount flush with the wall.

Photos below

Thanks for the help
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike123abc View Post
You need at least a recessed plug like https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then if the cables do not align with the back cavity you will end up with the unit a cable diameter away from the wall as they run behind the TV to the plug cavity on the TV. Not really far, but the plug will really stick out if you do not have it recessed.
Even that may not be enough, but this will work for sure <<< Click here >>> . You will need to cut a big hole though and you will need it to be 3 1/2" deep as well.
post #4473 of 6912 Old 05-22-2020, 07:39 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
if you have the player set to Bitstream, you would hear nothing because the TV is unable to decode a dts soundtrack.
Quote:
While I agree that dts offers a theoretically superior sound, I highly doubt any internal TV speakers would resolve the difference.
Sure they would. Between DD and DTS (no sound), DD should sound better than nothing, unless there is no DD sound track on the disc to start with.
mikek likes this.

__________________________________________________ _________________________________________________
Sony XBR65Z9F & HT-ST5000/Panasonic UB820/Netgear R7800/DirecTV HS17/Synology DS216+/Furman PST-8D & AC-215A
Sony XBR75Z9F/Paradigm Soundscape/SVS SB-2000/ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/TP-Link AV1300/DirecTV C61K/Furman PST-8D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4474 of 6912 Old 05-22-2020, 08:45 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyg53 View Post
Quote:
While I agree that dts offers a theoretically superior sound, I highly doubt any internal TV speakers would resolve the difference.
Sure they would. Between DD and DTS (no sound), DD should sound better than nothing, unless there is no DD sound track on the disc to start with.
Obviously, you are correct and some sound is better than none. However, you are either intentionally being obtuse, or simply do not understand the point I was making.

I was making two points, neither of which related to your comment:

1. discussing the fidelity of one compared to the other, i said TV speakers would not be able to resolve the increased fidelity of dts over dd by enough to make a real difference. I stand by that statement.

2. I said that the "issue" could be avoided in virtually any scenario (yes, virtually, not all, you are correct) by setting the 'player' to pcm audio which, as I understand it, the cx can receive.i don't use a pc for movie playback, but would assume that any pc can be set to pcm 2.0 output via hdmi. Same for Xbox, Playstation, and virtually any Bluray player. Aside from local network streaming apps which may/may not have pcm capability, this is a non-issue for everyone else.

Man, these forums used to be so enjoyable.
hogues, Mofongo and mrtickleuk like this.

LG 77” CX OLED; Panasonic 820; XBox One X; Apple TV (gen 2)
Marantz AV7704; Emotiva XPA-5
Martin Logan Vantage (fronts); Stage (center); Grotto (sub); DefTech Mythos GemXL (surround)
post #4475 of 6912 Old 05-23-2020, 12:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 50
One thing I dont really get is ABL, is its purpose to protect the panel or the pixels? Reason for asking is that if I have 50% white and 50% black side by side, I won't get ABL, but if I put up 100% white I will. Now, if the purpose was to prevent burn in and preserve the pixels, wouldn't the 50% pixels be just as affected regardless of if the other 50% is black? Or it some kind of overheating protection for the whole panel?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
post #4476 of 6912 Old 05-23-2020, 01:04 AM

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
DV IQ is only active with DV Cinema Home with the AI brightness ON. DV Cinema is the reference DV PM AI Brightness is grayed out.
I tried in a Dark room setting, and I prefer Cinema user so will stick with that. Something about the home PQ modes I dislike, it brightens the image a little too much for my liking, giving it an unnatural look.
Sargon 1 likes this.
post #4477 of 6912 Old 05-23-2020, 01:51 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Quote:

D-Nice said almost the exact same thing not more than a week ago.
post #4478 of 6912 Old 05-23-2020, 03:52 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Gómez López View Post
If you are sending a DTS signal to your TV, yes, you will not get ANY sound from the TV, nor the sound system you have connected to it through eARC.

I'll add this here in case anyone is not familiar with Firecore Infuse for the Apple TV. It's very similar to Plex, it even allows you to use Plex server (and others) to sync your already existing files. I have a couple of rips that only have a DTS track. You can have Infuse do the "decoding" from any format and send PCM to the TV. So you can still get 5.1/7.1 soundtracks from DTS-only mkv files. Of course you need to have an Apple TV, but if you do, I really recommend getting Infuse.
Kodi also does the same. You can tell it what formats your audio device supports and it will send PCM otherwise.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
jrref likes this.
post #4479 of 6912 Old 05-23-2020, 05:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 242 Post(s)
Quoted: 5330 Post(s)
Liked: 6536
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner842 View Post
I tried in a Dark room setting, and I prefer Cinema user so will stick with that. Something about the home PQ modes I dislike, it brightens the image a little too much for my liking, giving it an unnatural look.
If your set isn't calibrated, you will see a difference between the two PMs, but once calibrated, then the only difference you should see is DVCM will change as the light level in the room changes. Totally dark, the two PMs should be very close of the same.
gunner842 likes this.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F, LG CX
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, LightSpace Pro, ISF Level III Certified
post #4480 of 6912 Old 05-23-2020, 06:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

As far as the peak brightness reports on the 2020 LG OLEDs being dimmer, I've measured six sets so far and five measured over 700 nits and only one measured 680, first read 10%, D65 calibrated. The two i have at home are really bright, 740 nits first read. HDR is also very bright so we will have to see as we look at more sets. This includes some 65 inch sets which is good.
koan, candor, ataneruo and 1 others like this.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F, LG CX
post #4481 of 6912 Old 05-23-2020, 06:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2169 Post(s)
Liked: 655
Quote:
Obviously, you are correct and some sound is better than none. However, you are either intentionally being obtuse, or simply do not understand the point I was making.

I was making two points, neither of which related to your comment:

1. discussing the fidelity of one compared to the other, i said TV speakers would not be able to resolve the increased fidelity of dts over dd by enough to make a real difference. I stand by that statement.

2. I said that the "issue" could be avoided in virtually any scenario (yes, virtually, not all, you are correct) by setting the 'player' to pcm audio which, as I understand it, the cx can receive.i don't use a pc for movie playback, but would assume that any pc can be set to pcm 2.0 output via hdmi. Same for Xbox, Playstation, and virtually any Bluray player. Aside from local network streaming apps which may/may not have pcm capability, this is a non-issue for everyone else.

I agree for everything except for gamers using eARC to pass through to an HDMI 2.0 AVR. Running direct to the TV is the only way to get VRR with consoles and still use VRR. Other than that use-case, there's workarounds.

77" C9 + NAD 758 v3 with Dirac 7.6.4 + Rotel 976 + Panamax M5300-PM
Speakers: Paradigm Prestige 75F's + 55C; 8x Paradigm CI Pro P65-R's
Subs1: 2x LRK Build Thread + 2x Rotel 981 (bridged); retired: VRK Build thread
Subs2: 2x Rythmik LVX12; 2x Dayton HF 12's Ultra-NearField + Crown XLS 2002
MiniDSP HD & Non; DIY Room Treatments: Dutch Floral Prints
post #4482 of 6912 Old 05-23-2020, 07:10 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Does anybody have any color banding issues with ps4 pro playing HDR games? I was playing Days Gone and noticed in HDR that the sky gradients were banding.

I tried checking for hdr 4k banding on the internal Youtube app and noticed it there too. Are Youtube test videos compressed? Are they not a reliable way to test for banding?

I was under the impressions that this 10 bit panel would not have color banding on HDR content. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
post #4483 of 6912 Old 05-23-2020, 07:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Lavoie View Post
Does anybody have any color banding issues with ps4 pro playing HDR games? I was playing Days Gone and noticed in HDR that the sky gradients were banding.

I tried checking for hdr 4k banding on the internal Youtube app and noticed it there too. Are Youtube test videos compressed? Are they not a reliable way to test for banding?

I was under the impressions that this 10 bit panel would not have color banding on HDR content. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
You need to put smooth gradation on LOW.
athenaesword likes this.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F, LG CX
post #4484 of 6912 Old 05-23-2020, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
You need to put smooth gradation on LOW.
I have tried all smooth gradation settings but they all seem to look the same to me. Maybe it's just the source content?
post #4485 of 6912 Old 05-23-2020, 07:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked: 930
Quote:
I have tried all smooth gradation settings but they all seem to look the same to me. Maybe it's just the source content?
I've seen banding in some ps4 pro games also. The smooth gradation imo is broken as of the latest update I've mentioned it a couple of times. I have certain youtube content that I knw has gradation issues and usually low setting on smooth gradation solves it now the only setting that does anything is High. Days gone RdR2 infamous second son nba2k20 the witcher 3 are just some of the games I've noticed weird banding in skies. Blue skies and night skies have imo always been a problem with oled well at least LG oled. If u find a fix let me knw because its annoying at times

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
post #4486 of 6912 Old 05-23-2020, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Watched some of doctor sleep last night and it had some weird things going on in mid to dark scenes especially in the beginning of the movie when the little boy is walking to the bathroom it was like an oval shape circle as he the camera was panning along side a gray screen never seen that before on many shots like that along with some funny type of vignetting as he was standing in the bathroom looking at the bathtub idk if that was the movies intent or what

post #4487 of 6912 Old 05-23-2020, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmane View Post
I've seen banding in some ps4 pro games also. The smooth gradation imo is broken as of the latest update I've mentioned it a couple of times. I have certain youtube content that I knw has gradation issues and usually low setting on smooth gradation solves it now the only setting that does anything is High. Days gone RdR2 infamous second son nba2k20 the witcher 3 are just some of the games I've noticed weird banding in skies. Blue skies and night skies have imo always been a problem with oled well at least LG oled. If u find a fix let me knw because its annoying at times

Does game mode disable smooth gradation? Maybe I can try different picture modes to see if that helps. Thanks for the info.
post #4488 of 6912 Old 05-23-2020, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Does game mode disable smooth gradation? Maybe I can try different picture modes to see if that helps. Thanks for the info.
smooth gradation is still available if i recall when game mode is active and you're welcome

post #4489 of 6912 Old 05-23-2020, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Quote:

That problem is only in the CX?
I still have a B7 and i don't know if purchase the c9 or cx
post #4490 of 6912 Old 05-23-2020, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dymblos View Post
Nope the c9 isn't safe either lol I had 4 of those and if im being honest I've seen it on every oled I've had going back to the ef9500 days. Alot of people aren't as observant or even care for that Matter but its always been that way. I think it has alot to do with the consoles themselves or the developers who make certain games because not all games have those types of gradation issues. The division 2 or star wars fallen order come to mind as to having for the most part clean gradation. Mk11 is another game thats clean but those games i just mentioned are on x1x but even rdr2 has gradation issues on x1x. Most of the games I've really noticed it have been on my ps4 pro

post #4491 of 6912 Old 05-23-2020, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Quote:
Nope the c9 isn't safe either lol I had 4 of those and if im being honest I've seen it on every oled I've had going back to the ef9500 days. Alot of people aren't as observant or even care for that Matter but its always been that way. I think it has alot to do with the consoles themselves or the developers who make certain games because not all games have those types of gradation issues. The division 2 or star wars fallen order come to mind as to having for the most part clean gradation. Mk11 is another game thats clean but those games i just mentioned are on x1x but even rdr2 has gradation issues on x1x. Most of the games I've really noticed it have been on my ps4 pro

Oh, but the rdr2 on PC have the banding issue?
post #4492 of 6912 Old 05-23-2020, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Oh, but the rdr2 on PC have the banding issue?
I don't have a pc so I can't comment on that

post #4493 of 6912 Old 05-23-2020, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Deciding on the GX or wait for Sony 2021 panel. Coming from an A1E. Is this a bad set? I like the future proof features. Worried Sony will be behind or charge an arm and a leg for the newer set.
post #4494 of 6912 Old 05-23-2020, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Quote:
smooth gradation is still available if i recall when game mode is active and you're welcome

I’ll check gaming banding on my cx and see if I see anything. I have smooth gradiation off on all game modes.

Anyone using super resolution in games ? Or can tell me what it’s supposed to do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG 65CX l Apple TV 4K l PS4 Pro l Nintendo Switch | Logitech Harmony Companion
post #4495 of 6912 Old 05-23-2020, 09:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiyanzzrage View Post
I’ll check gaming banding on my cx and see if I see anything. I have smooth gradiation off on all game modes.

Anyone using super resolution in games ? Or can tell me what it’s supposed to do?

I never use super resolution it seems to be another enhancement type of feature. I personally like to have a clean as possible content creator intent type of picture on everything lol

avernar and saiyanzzrage like this.
post #4496 of 6912 Old 05-23-2020, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 59
So ASBL is still an issue on the CX, was hoping it wouldn’t be the case after getting long dark scenes dim After a while on my B6.

Just tried Unforgiven uhd and that bar scene at night dims so that the scene is barely visible. I know this scene is particularly long so I can’t see it happening often with content, but how have LG not fixed ASBL being so aggressive!
Sargon 1 likes this.
post #4497 of 6912 Old 05-23-2020, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

Yup can confirm latest update seems to have broken smooth gradation. Low seems to do absolutely nothing.

macmane and Sargon 1 like this.
post #4498 of 6912 Old 05-23-2020, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzerrelli View Post
Yup can confirm latest update seems to have broken smooth gradation. Low seems to do absolutely nothing.

I'm not noticing any difference with smooth gradation set to medium or high either, at least not in my game on my ps4 pro with Days Gone. It's most noticeable when you pan up from eye level and get the sky on about the top half of the screen. When you move the camera, the bands seem to just appear. Mayne that's just the limitations of the ps4 Pro though...
Fonzerrelli likes this.
post #4499 of 6912 Old 05-23-2020, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:

but doesnt smooth gradation strip away some fine detail? if you watch with off compared to any setting from low to high, don't you notice any difference in the detail?

peralatan saya
marten, rogue audio (hifi) bowers and wilkins, belles, onkyo, jl audio, sony, auralex, furutech (ht)
post #4500 of 6912 Old 05-23-2020, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysa_105 View Post
but doesnt smooth gradation strip away some fine detail? if you watch with off compared to any setting from low to high, don't you notice any difference in the detail?
With low everything to my eye seems intact with off setting. Medium and High will have an effect but Low imo was the best at cleaning up mess as well as keeping details in place

Fonzerrelli likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
detection issue , earc , g-sync , lg cx , lossless audio , lpcm 7.1 , new purchase , pcm , surround sound and speaker , troubleshooting

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page